At Last | Teen Ink

At Last

Youre very cool, ily. 

It's a play.

Fall in Harlem, New York was as beautiful as ever as Sam and her best friend, Flora, were sitting at a coffee shop, talking amongst themselves. The sweet, crisp smell of coffee fills their lungs, releasing a calming feeling. The modern art on the walls of the café creates a welcoming feeling, making the aura of the room peaceful.  
The sight of skyscrapers and people walking out of the giant, clear window of the shop adds more to the aesthetic, making the environment feel cozy.  
The two women laugh as they reminisce about the times, they used to ditch school and come here. The soft, luxurious fur on the chairs sways with each laugh that comes out of their mouth. Their laugh echoes off the walls, causing others to look back at them often, before returning to their hot drinks. Just as Flora was about to bring up another memory to add to the nostalgic moment she is sharing with Sam, a young-looking server walks up to their table. The server wore a shirt that read, “Tia’s Shop”, blue mom jeans, and an apron. 
    ALANA, THE WAITRESS: "Is there anything I can get you ladies?” she asked as she eagerly pulled out a small notepad and pencil from her pocket.  
FLORA: “Of course! You see that guy over there?” She pointed to the server behind the counter, making coffee drinks. “Get his number for me, and I’ll leave you a rather handsome tip.” (A pale shade of red crosses her cheeks as the guy looked up at her and scurried to the back)  
She has been trying to get his number all week, and he has been avoiding him the whole time. Each time he sees or even hears Flora’s voice, he stops what he is doing, and runs to the back. 
SAM:(Kicking Flora under the table, and gathering her belongings) “Please, don’t pay her no mind. Can I have a vanilla cappuccino to go and the check please?”  
ALANA: “For sure! Just give me 10 minutes.” (Alana exits the stage) 

FLORA: So, how did it go with you and Joey? I heard you guys were getting pretty close at Mac’s party. (Raising her eyebrows up and down and nudging Sam) 
SAM: (Rolling her eyes in disgust.) Yeah, I guess we were getting pretty close, and everything was going well until he started telling me about his mom. He went on and on about his mom and her cats all night. It was a huge turn-off. (She lets out a loud, frustrated sigh and runs her hands down her face) 
FLORA: Your love life is trash, and I’ve got just the thing for you. Do you remember Marie from the baby shower last week? (She then slaps her handbag on the table and starts digging through it.) She told me this love doctor she used to see, and I think it could be of some help to you! She even told me that she and her new man are engaged.  
SAM: (Curiously watching Flora) Really? Love Doctor? Is she a matchmaker or something? 
FLORA: (Handing a small business card to Sam) Yes! But better, I’ve been hearing about her a lot and even thought about seeing her myself. Why don’t you go when we leave. You have nothing better to do. I’m sure you’re just going to eat ice cream, watch anime, and then cry yourself to sleep when you go home.  
SAM: (Taking one last sip from her coffee) That’s not completely true, I was going to go to the gym before doing all of that. (Squinting at the business card and furrowing her eyebrows) Lady Diane? Specializes in love, life, and cleaning? So, she’s also a maid? Nice. And she’s not that far from here. 
FLORA: Yes. We love a woman who can do it all, don’t we? 
Alana enters the stage. Paper and drink in hand. 
ALANA: (Handing Sam her items) Here’s your drink. Come back again! 
FLORA: So, how’d it go with Ole’ Boy Toy over there? (Winking at the barista behind the counter) 
ALANA: Oh! I almost forgot. He wanted me to give you this. (She pulls out a note from her apron and hands it to Flora and exits the stage) 
FLORA: See Sam, I knew he’d come around. (Unfolds the note) All you have to do is be patient. “Please leave me alone before I call the cops” (Grabbing her items) Yeah, Let’s go, Sam. 
Both the ladies exit the stage and head towards Lady Diane’s estate. 
They are now facing a tall, mate black, elegant-looking skyscraper. The interior of the building has black and red furniture that looks as if they were imported from another country, with a velvet red carpet that covers the entire floor. As they entered the building, they felt eyes on them. If looks could kill, they would be dead where they're standing.  
ELIAS: (Looking them up and down) (In a French accent) Is there something I can help you with? 
SAM: We’re looking for a Lady Diane. (Hands Elias the business card) 
ELIAS: (Looks up at the two ladies up and down in disgust) Are you, Sam and Flora? 
FLORA: Yes, but how did you- 
ELIAS: (interrupting Flora) Right this way. 
ALL OF THEM EXITS THE STAGE 
They are now walking down a large corridor with red, velvet flooring. Portraits of a Black woman with long, white hair filled the halls. The woman wore a long, silky dress that was accompanied by golden jewelry, and was absolutely breathtaking. Before they knew it, two large, red doors appeared before them. 
ELIAS: We’re here. (Turns around and walk away) 
Sam and Flora look at each other. 
LADY DIANE: Don’t just stand there, come in, darlings. Have a seat. I have been waiting for you. 
FLORA: You’re the woman from the paintings! And we’re sorry to keep you waiting, I guess. 
LADY DIANE: Not you, Flora. I’m talking about Samiyia. In fact, today’s session is going to be all about her. I can get you tomorrow, and we’ll discuss how you should stop bothering that poor barista boy.  
FLORA: Wait. How do you even- 
LADY DIANE: (Interrupting Flora) Elias! Show Miss Flora the way out, would you? 
ELIAS ENTERS THE STAGE 
ELIAS: (Eyes closed) Right this way, Miss. (Opens his eyes and gives another disgusting look) Oh, it’s just you.  
FLORA: Oh, okay. Call me when you get home, Sam! And you’re not a sight for sore eyes either. (Returning Elias’ glare back at him while shoving her bag into his chest)   
FLORA AND ELIAS EXITS THE STAGE 
LADY DIANE: Back to you now, Miss. Samiyia. It seems as if love isn’t your friend, but I’ve had the thing just for you. (Writes down something on a piece of paper.) This is an attraction spell. I want you to repeat this three times when you wake up and three times before you go to bed. (Hands the paper to Sam.) I want you to do this until you get what you need, and I do advise you to be patient. Good things come to those who wait. (Walks over to the large, glass window by her desk, and begins drinking from her wine glass) 
SAM: (Reading the Paper) “I do not chase; I attract what simply belongs to me or is already mine?” Are you sure this is going to work? 
LADY DIANE: (Whips around and walks over to Sam while pointing her finger at her) Don’t you dare question my work, girl. Of course, this is going to work! It’s not like Tinder is going to do you any good. Bumble either. If anything, you’re making yourself look like a fool.  
SAM: (With a confused, yet horrified expression) How in the heck
LADY DIANE: (Interrupting Sam) ELIAS! Make yourself useful and show her the way out. This session is over. Don’t forget three times in the morning, and three times at night. 
EVERYONE EXITS THE STAGE. 
2 weeks later, and Flora and Sam are at the gym. 
SAM: (breathing heavily) It went well. She gave me this spell to say at night and in the morning and said that it would work. I’ve been saying it for two weeks now and nothing has happened.  
FLORA: (Stretching) So she scammed you? Welp, there’s always someone on Tinder. Also, tell me how do you not feel that? 
SAM: Feel what? 
FLORA: You see that guy over there? He’s been staring at you since we got here. He’s kinda fine too. I wonder if he has a friend. 
SAM: Girl, whatever. (Gets off the treadmill to refill her water bottle) 
Sam then walks over to the water fountain and bumps into Austin, who was right behind her. 
SAM: Oh! Excuse me. 
AUSTIN: (flashes a nice smile and slightly checks her out) You’re fine, it was completely my fault. I’m Austin, by the way. I just moved here from Wyoming. Also, I apologize if my creepy staring frightened you, I’m not a pervert, I swear. 
SAM: (blushing) I’m Samiyia or Sam for short, and I didn’t really notice your staring, so it’s fine. Wyoming? I forgot that place existed; I had never met someone from there.  
AUSTIN: Yes, it is a quiet place, and this place is the complete opposite. It’s so busy here. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten lost. (Lets out a slight chuckle) 
SAM: I can show you around if you want. I know this place like the back of my hand.  
AUSTIN: (Looking down flirtatiously at Sam) Yes, I’d like. I’d like that a lot actually.  
SAM: Great! I’ll give you my number, and we can meet at the café that’s down the street from here. Their Frappuccino is to die for.  
AUSTIN:(Intensifying his gaze at Sam) To die for, huh? I can’t wait to try them out.  
SAM: (Laughs nervously) So, yeah. Is three a good time for you?  
AUSTIN: Absolutely. Then it’s a date; see you at three, Samiyia. (Grabs his bag and leaves) 
Flora walks over to Sam as she watches Austin leave with her mouth open. 
FLORA: (Watching Austin leave and furrowing her eyebrows) Close your mouth, sis, you’re going to catch flies. Come on, I can hear a shower calling my name. 
Both Sam and Flora leave the stage. 
Sam is now at the coffee shop for her date with Austin.  
AUSTIN: You look stunning.  
3 hours later. 
SAM and AUSTIN: (laughing) 
AUSTIN: It’s true! I used to wear the whole get-up: emoji pants, emoji shirt, and even the emoji bucket hat. But can you really blame me? Emojis were popular at that time, I used to think I was the *naughty word* while wearing it too. (chuckles and takes a sip from his drink) 
SAM: I can’t believe I used to be attracted to guys like that. What were we thinking? (Laughs even more.) 
AUSTIN: Were you really? Then I guess you would’ve been very attracted to me back then.  
SAM: Yeah, I guess I would’ve.  (Blushes.) Wait, is that Flora? Hey! Flora! 
FLORA ENTERS THE STAGE. 
FLORA: Sam! Hi! How’s your date going? 
SAM: It’s going pretty great. What are you doing here? Austin, this is my best friend, Flora.  
AUSTIN: (Slightly annoyed) It’s a pleasure to meet you. 
FLORA: I came here because I wanted to pick up some muffins for RuPaul’s Drag Race marathon.  
SAM: That’s tonight? I’ll be over as soon as I leave here. Make sure you pick some up for me, please.  
FLORA: Okay. You’ll never guess what happened, girl.  
SAM: Ooh, tell me, tell me! Here, you sit here, and I’m going to go to the bathroom right quick. I want you to tell me all about it when I get back!  
SAM EXITS THE STAGE. 
AUSTIN: It seems that you two are close. 
FLORA: Yeah, we’ve been friends since third grade. She’s my better half. (slightly laugh) 
AUSTIN: So that means that you’re inseparable from her 
FLORA: I guess that you can say that, but we are- 
AUSTIN: (interrupting Flora) Do you have any other friends?  
FLORA: Well, I actually- 
AUSTIN: I guess not. (taking a sip from his drink) Have you tried making other friends? I mean, it’s not hard. 
FLORA: (Annoyed) Why is that any of your concerns?  
AUSTIN: (Nonchalantly) Woah. I was just wondering. I didn’t mean to upset you. 
SAM ENTERS THE STAGE. 
SAM: Sorry that it took so long, there was a line in the bathroom. 
AUSTIN: That’s alright. We were just talking. 
FLORA: Yeah, and I was just leaving. (Stands up) See you later, Sam. 
FLORA EXITS THE STAGE. 
SAM: (Confused) That was weird. 
AUSTIN: (Nonchalantly) I guess so. 
Austin and Sam then go on several more dates, and Austin asks her to be his girlfriend. 3 years later, they move in together.  
3 years later, and Sam is coming back to their apartment from hanging out with Flora. 
SAM: (Hanging out of the door) Okay! I’ll see you later, Flora! (Laughs and comes completely into the apartment) Austin, I’m home. (Turns on the lights to see Austin sitting on the couch) 
AUSTIN: Do you know what time it is?  
SAM: (Gasps) You scared me. It’s almost 2 am, why?  
AUSTIN: We agreed that you’ll be home at 12, sharp. Did we not? (Slowly standing up and walking towards Sam.) 
SAM: (Backing up.) Yes, and I tried to text you, but my phone died. Why are you getting so worked up over this? 
AUSTIN: (In a menacing tone) I’m just worried about you, Samiyia. Look at what you’re wearing, and at this time of night? You know how the world can be, Samiyia. (Stroking her hair) How awful it could be for a girl as beautiful as you to be out dressed like this. Who were you around? 
SAM: (Shuddering) I was with Flora and a few of her co-workers. (tries to push his hand away) Why are you being like this? Are you upset about- 
AUSTIN: (Interrupting Sam) (Tightening his grip on Sam’s hair) Were you around other men?  
SAM: (Fearfully) Yes, but it wasn’t anything serious! We just did simple things such as giving each other high-fives and handshakes. Why are you acting so insecure? 
AUSTIN: Insecure? This is acting insecure? For wanting to protect you from other men? For protecting what is mine?  
SAM: What are you- 
AUSTIN: And you let those disgusting pigs touch you; touch what is mine. (Begins dragging Sam towards the bathroom) We have to get you clean. 
SAM: (Screaming and fighting against him) Austin, you’re hurting me!  
AUSTIN: (Begins filling the tub up with water) This is for your own good, Samiyia. We wouldn’t be in this predicament if you would just love me, and only me! Why are you letting other guys touch you or even talk to you if you love me, Samiyia! (Pushes Sam into the tub and beings scrubbing her with a towel and almost drowning her.) This is all your fault, Sam! Why can’t you just love me as I love you? 
Flora enters the stage. 
FLORA: (On the other side of the door) Sam is always leaving her things in my car. I swear that girl would leave her head behind if it wasn’t attached to her body. (Notices the screaming coming from the other side of the door) Sam! (Knocks on the door) SAM! (Barges in) 
AUSTIN: (Stops what he’s doing and slowly turns around) You. (In a sarcastic tone) What are you doing here? Actually, no. I should drop the act; I’ve been waiting for you. (He then pulls out a gun from his waistband.)  
SAM: (Elbows Austin in the groin from the bathtub and gasps for air) Run, Flora!  
AUSTIN: (Groans from the pain while crouching over) You’re going to pay for that, my love. 
Instead of running, Flora grabs the gun from the floor and points it at Austin.  
FLORA: I knew you were trouble from the start, you conniving bastard. I never liked you. 
AUSTIN: (Sarcastically) Aw, well aren’t you a great friend. You detected trouble from the start and didn’t even care enough to tell your friend about it. Best best friend of the year! But do you want to know something? 
FLORA: Your last words? Oh, go ahead.  
AUSTIN: I never liked you either. (Pulls out another gun from his waistband and shoots Flora in the forehead.) 
SAM: (Lets out a shrilling scream.) What did you do? Flora! No! (Starts sobbing.) 
AUSTIN: (Stands up.) You know, as much as I love you, you’re really starting to annoy me. (He then pistol-whips Sam with the butt of the gun, causing her to pass out.) I know that I’ve hurt you a bit too much today, but I’m sure this is going to make you feel so much better. You know how you constantly complain that we don’t take enough trips? Well, we’re going to take one right now. We can even bring your annoying friend along. It can’t get any better than that, huh? (Begins tying Sam up in zip ties and ropes.) 
3 hours later, they arrived at a run-down cabin in the woods. The cabin is stranded in the middle of the forest and is isolated from society. They are now sitting at a table inside of the cabin. 
SAM: (Just now waking up.) W-where am I? 
AUSTIN: We’re at our new home, sweetheart. I’m glad you’re awake; you almost missed out on this romantic dinner I prepared for you. (Cuts a piece of the steak and holds it up to Sam’s mouth.) Here, it’s your favorite. I just know how much you love ste-. 
SAM: (Interrupts him by spitting in his face.) Stay the hell away from me. 
AUSTIN: (Slowly wipes his face in disgust and annoyance.) You know, Samiyia, I figured that I was the one who didn’t make our relationship work when it was actually you. I mean, I’d do anything for you; I’d kill anyone for you; I have killed someone for you. (Gets up and walk around the other side of the table to Sam.) I’ve made you this dinner, I’ve brought you away from that cramped apartment of yours, I’ve bought you clothes, ran you baths, gave you flowers-anything that your bitter, little heart desired, really. 
SAM: You’re insane. You’re completely out of your mind! Austin, you need hel-. 
AUSTIN: (Places his finger over Sam’s lips.) No, no, no. All I ever needed was you, Sam. You were supposed to be the one! The one that I’m supposed to spend the rest of my life with! The one that was supposed to end this search, Samiyia! 
SAM: What search are you talking about?  
AUSTIN: I’ve said too much. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to take care of our old friend before she stinks up my car. We wouldn’t want that now, would we? (Starts to walk off the stage, but then turn around.) Oh, wait I almost forgot. Even though we’re in the middle of nowhere, we wouldn’t want anyone to hear your screams, right? (He then rips off a piece of duct tape from its roll and places it over Sam’s mouth and stares in awe.) You look so cute when you’re tied up. See you in a few minutes, sweetheart. (He grabs a large bag and leaves.) 
Austin exits the stage. 
SAM: (Begins licking the tape to make it wet enough to not stick to her lips.) Thank God for those corny Buzzfeed videos. (She then manages to untie herself and stands up. She noticed a small pocketknife and slips it into her bra.) I’ve got to find a phone or something. (She runs over to the phone on the wall and calls the police.) My name is Samiyia Goode, and I’ve been kidnapped by my ex-boyfriend, and he’s-. 
Austin enters the stage. 
AUSTIN: What do you think you’re doing? (He walks over to Sam and begins to pull her over to the chair by her hair) 
SAM: (Starts to cry and try to fight him off) Please hurry! He killed my best friend! He’s going to kill me! Please send someone! 
AUSTIN: You do know that you’re talking to a pre-recorded audio, right? You’re literally just talking to a recording. And you say I’m the crazy one. You amaze me every day, Samiyia. 
SAM: Pre-recording? Have you done this before?  
AUSTIN: You ask too many questions.  
SAM: You have done this before! You won’t get away with this!  
AUSTIN: I’ve already gotten away with it. It’s not like you have a real relationship with your parents so it wasn’t hard to write a letter to them saying that you do not want them in your life, so they’re out of the question. And as for your coworkers, let’s just say they won’t be touching anything or anyone for a while.  
SAM: (Absolutely horrified) Austin, what did you do? 
AUSTIN: (Sarcastically) I took them on a date. What do you think I did? You should really start using your head.  
SAM: (Starts sobbing even more.) 
AUSTIN: Honestly, what are you even crying for? You didn’t even know those guys, and if you were to see the messages they sent to each other about you, you would’ve killed them yourself. Those guys are absolute pigs. 
SAM: You didn’t have to kill them. What possessed you to do something like that?  
AUSTIN: You know, you’re really irritating. I thought you’d love me for doing these things for you. I did everything you asked me to do. 
SAM: (Yelling.) I DID’T ASK YOU TO BE A MURDERER! You are absolutely sick in the head! You need serious help that I can’t give you!  
AUSTIN: Sam, you don’t know what you’re saying.  
SAM: Oh, but I do! You use people for love because you can’t love yourself. These things that you’re doing are not out of love! You’re just a psychopath.  
AUSTIN: And are you any better? You throw yourself at any guy that buys you cheap flowers and smiles at you. (Chuckles.) We shouldn’t fight. We have to get ready for our wedding and look for new places to live. I’m thinking somewhere in California. We can have a new life; new identities, a new house, a fresh, new start. (Walks over to Sam and caresses her hand.) We can even start a family. 
SAM: (Snatches her hand away and slaps him.) I’d rather die than be with you.  
AUSTIN: (Looks down at her nonchalantly.) Well, if that’s what you want.  
Sam starts to slowly back away from Austin, and bolts towards the door once she’s a good distance away from him. He grabs her shirt and holds her head against his chest while hugging her. 
AUSTIN: I was only kidding, my love. Why would I ever do something like that to you? I love you with my whole heart. (Tightening his grip around her body-basically giving her a bear hug) Why won’t you just accept that? Why won’t you just love me back? 
SAM: (Struggling to breath) Get off me, you creep. 
Sam then takes out the pocketknife, stabs him, and tries to run away. She didn’t get far, for Austin grabbed her hair, and threw her onto the cold, hard ground of the cabin. He then straddled her, took the knife out of his chest, and slit her throat with it. 
AUSTIN: Oh, God! Sam! What have I done?  
Lady Diane and Elias enter the stage and walk through the door into the cabin. 
LADY DIANE: Oh, drop the act, you fool. I figured that I’d find you here. What went wrong with this one? I was certain she was the one. 
ELIAS: You’ve made a mess. I thought we agreed that you wouldn’t be so reckless with your killings.  
AUSTIN: She wouldn’t accept my love. I gave her any and everything she wanted, but she didn’t appreciate any of it. What an ungrateful girl. Whatever, did you find another one? 
LADY DIANE: These things take time, you idiot. Plus, it’s going to take years to find someone that’s willing to put up with you, you lunatic. Rushing won’t- 
AUSTIN: Well, hurry up then! I didn’t sell my soul to you for nothing. Work your little witchy magic and pull something together.  
LADY DIANE: Fine. (Taking a small piece of paper out of her handbag.) This is Alex. He’s an intern at a hospital. He will be at Cathy’s Café on Thursday at 7:35pm. You are to be there at that exact time. 
AUSTIN: How will I approach him? And I’m going to need a new identity. 
LADY DIANE: Don’t worry about that; I’ll pull some things together.  
2 weeks later. 
This scene takes place at another coffee shop that is similar to the one before. Alex is at the counter, placing his order.  
BARISTA: And here is your straw. Enjoy your drink! 
ALEX: Thank you!  
Just as he turned around, he tripped over his own foot and spilled his drink on the man that was standing behind him. 
ALEX: Oh, my goodness! I’m so sorry! (Frantically starts grabbing napkins from the counter and tries to dry the man’s shirt.) I’m really sorry. I’m not usually this clumsy. I can pay for your dry cleaning to make it up to you. (Finally looks up at the man.) Hi, I’m Alex. 
AUSTIN: (Flashes an award-winning smile.) Hi, I’m Eric and don’t worry about the mess. You can make it up to me with a date instead.  
ALEX: O-okay. 
Lights shut off, and curtains close.