The Time My Life Fell Apart | Teen Ink

The Time My Life Fell Apart

By hannahglouden, Bradyville, Tennessee
hannahglouden, Bradyville, Tennessee

“Let us make our future now, and let us make our dreams tomorrow's reality.”

- Malala Yousafzai

I wrote this last year for a perseverance assignment for class and I think it's worth reading.

I have been reading a lot of novels lately and at that time too. I just really like romance ones so I thought I'd give it a try.

Hi I'm Aria, I'm 16 and 5'3. As I was brushing my luscious brunette hair, I looked into my deep brown eyes in the mirror, and I thought, "Finally it’s Junior year; new year, new me," or so I thought. It was such a bright and beautiful day. I saw a dashing bluebird chirping so fine. You could see the sparkle in my eyes that day when I walked to school. The bees were buzzing and the birds were chirping. Then Tracey happened. Tracey makes even the most beautiful summer days feel like a blistering winter. Tracey, my ex-best friend since 6th grade with her dumb cheerleaders, her petty but a luxurious voice, her blondeness, captain of the cheer team, is now determined to destroy me any way possible.
It all started when she decided to throw me into the lockers with its awful stench, in front of everyone. I can still remember the devilish look on her cheer posse’s faces. I felt my cheeks burning from all the embarrassment like the laughter from everyone was going to kill me. I could feel the sweat dripping down my back and that's not even the worst part. The worst part is she always threatened to tell everyone my secret; that I'm in love with my best friend, Ethan.
In 6th grade, when we were still best friends. Tracey and I both tried to run for class president. It started great. Then she tried to destroy me by bullying me and tormenting me. Once when I was handing out candy and flyers, she replaced my candy with candy bugs and she put mustaches all over my flyers. Another time I was making a speech and she switched my papers with another speech. It was awful! She did a whole lot of other things besides that. Anyway, that's when Ethan came into the picture. He picked me back up, showed me what I was made of, and helped me get back at Tracey to win class president. When she was trying to ruin me, Ethan got her on camera and I made an amazing speech and exposed her for trying to destroy me. Ever since then, Ethan and I have been best friends.
Ethan Jones, with his amazing, dirty blonde hair, the most beautiful brown eyes, the cutest dimples, tall and glorious, is the most amazing person in the world. Why am I talking this way? We should be best friends.
Anyway, as she decided to shove me into that awful locker again for about the 10th time today, Ethan stomped right up to her, looked at her right into her devilish eyes, gave her an annoyed look and pushed her. He said quietly but almost scary, ”Why are you like this? You're so jealous of Aria because she's smarter, nicer, and alot more beautiful than you inside and out. Stop tormenting her or I will kick your butt so hard, it will fly into the land of Oz.”
Everyone was staring in awe, especially her cheer posse and I had no idea what to do. I was shaken by fear. I still remember the stench of those lockers mixed with perfume, guy stench, and for some reason, pickles. Then she ran away and I saw just a glimpse of something human. Maybe I thought I saw a tear coming out of her eye, but it didn’t matter anymore. For the rest of the day, I was thinking about why he said that, and why did Tracey start crying. She's fierce and she would never let anyone see her broken.
I got so confused. Why did he say those words if he didn’t feel the same way? I thought about that the whole car way home. It felt different, that car ride. It felt uncomfortable and weird even. Then unexpectedly I asked him, ”Why did you say all that stuff about me today to Tracey? Did you really mean it?” I had no idea what I was saying. It just came out.
Then he stopped me and said open heartedly, ”Hey, don’t worry about it. You know you're like my little sister, right? I just wanted to see that little annoyed look on her face. You're my best friend, and I love you. You’re family.”
When I got home, I felt so dreary, like I couldn't even pick up my feet, seemed like a rat or something died in there. It was hard to hold back my tears. I felt the roughness of the kitchen table. I felt aggravated and I couldn’t stand it. It was like I was going to break in a million pieces, and the coldness of the house lingered. Why did the house feel this way? I felt this before. No! My parents are fighting again. As I heard them loudly disputing the latest issue, I ran into my room. How could my day get any worse? I was crying so hard. I felt like I cried a whole puddle that night. I just wanted them to stop even if that meant them getting a divorce. That night I called Ethan. I told him everything about the fight as the tears fell down my face. It was so bad, he had to bribe me with food.
He finally got me to calm down when he said, “Even though it hurts now, at least I don’t think Tracey will mess with you for a while, that devilish snake.”
I started to giggle for a little bit. As I dozed off, images of him flooded my dreams.
The next day, Tracey calmed down a little except her words were still just as sharp and painful. I swear, she has the mouth of a serpent. She wasn’t the worst thing that happened that day. After pre-cal, I noticed I hadn’t seen Ethan all day besides the car ride there that morning. Then I saw him. He was on the other side of the hall next to his locker with a beautiful blonde with blue eyes, whispering into his ear standing next to him. As she threw back her head and laughed. She seemed so perfect with her clear skin and long legs acting like she was better than everyone else. It looked like they were flirting or something. Suddenly I felt sadness come over me. I trembled with fear. I felt so uncomfortable. I had no idea what to do. I started crying and I ran to the bathroom. I felt like there was a black mirror between me and Ethan. I couldn’t walk through it to get to him and I had no idea what to do. I felt all alone. As I was crying, Ethan saw me and ran in after me.
When he came in and said, ”I know I should have told you. I thought you would be okay with it. I was wrong and I'm really sorry. Aria, I love her. I know I should have told you first and I'm very sorry. Please forgive me.”
Even though I felt a weight pulling me down, I dropped my last tear and stood up and said, “Hey, it's okay if she makes you happy. Go for it, and if anything goes wrong tell me. I support you in this decision you are making. Love you, now let's get going.”
After he drove me home, I marched into the house. It felt abandoned like someone was missing. I didn’t hear mom say, “Did you have a nice day darling?” I ran into my dad's office and yelled, ”Where's mom? Dad, please tell me where mom is.”
I saw the angriness and sadness in his eyes when he said, ”She went to Aunt Sandra’s to spend some time with her again.”
This is the second time and when he said “spend some time with her again” the last time she left she was gone for two days. As I started crying for the second time today I said to my dad,”I hate you! Why do you fight with mom all the time. Did you have an affair? You know what, don't tell me. It will only make me hate you more.” I stormed off to my room. Tracey has been after me since 6th grade, my best friend that I secretly love has a girlfriend, I'm getting jealous more and more everytime I see them together, and my mom is at my aunt’s house and probably going to get a divorce.
Just then I got a text from an old friend from middle school. Her name is Abbye. she said, “Hey what's up? “ I said, not much, just crying again.” As she says, “I’m so sorry about that but I miss hanging out with you. I see you around school, and I hate how Tracey throws you off on the side of the curb every single day. Is this why you are crying because I know how it feels.” Before I could reply she said, “ You will get over it, and persevere through everything and anything.” I finally got to jump in and say, “No it’s not that, even with how much she messes with me.” She then realized and said. “Oh, is it your parents because I remember when your parents first started fighting it was so hard for you.” I said, “Yes it’s my parents again.” Lastly she says, “You will get through this. I believe in you. Anyway, maybe we can hang sometime, good night feel better soon.- Abbye”

As I sat in bed, I thought about what she said. She was right and finally I was at peace with myself and with my life. So I told her, “Thank you so much. You have no idea how much I needed that. Thank you and yes I will take you up on that offer and hang out sometime. I miss you too good night.” I was so happy she helped me find peace that night, and I actually had a good night's sleep.
It finally felt okay even though my life was falling apart. Yes, it hurt alot but I felt okay with the pain. I knew it was going to be alright.
Two weeks later someone threw a stink bomb at the teachers in the teacher's lounge. Tracey told the principal it was me. I was innocent but the principal didn’t believe me. He suspended me for two weeks. I was so furious with Tracey! Ethan couldn’t take me home that day because he had to take his little perfect girlfriend, Flor on a date. I had to walk home in the rain. When I walked in the door at home, I was soaking wet. My father was so aggravated I could see the disappointment in his eyes. I told him I was innocent but he didn't believe me.
Mom hasn’t been home in half a week and I am getting really worried.
I texted Abbye and said, “Hey do you want to hang out on Sunday?”
I also texted Ethan and asked how his date went.
He texted, “It was great! We had our first kiss, and we went to New York City to eat at the fancy Buvette. Then we went to a Broadway play called ‘Funny Girl.’ Then we went and sat under the Grand Army Plaza, danced, and kissed.”
Then Abbye said, “Yeah, sure; at 2 at the mail?”
Then I said, “Sure, the mail sounds great. At 2 it is.”
I told Ethan, “Hey I’m so excited for you. Just if anything negative happens please tell me. I’m so happy for you. If she makes you happy then I’m happy.”
He said, “I promise I will and she makes me super happy. Anyway, I love you, and have a good night.”
Then I said anxiously, “Ya okay. We need to have a day to ourselves Wednesday maybe?”
he responded, “Yes, totally perfect.”
When I went to sleep that night I heard the wind and I felt that the chain even though it was broken came back together slowly. I felt like I would be alright.

As I was feeling okay, my life at home got worse. My dad did have an affair and my parents finally got divorced. As the wind went swoosh and fluttered that morning it was the day my dad was leaving. I felt a lump in my throat like there was a little hole was in my heart. I would still see him on weekends but it wouldn’t be the same. Even though I knew this was going to happen I think even though it hurt a little I know this is going to be better for all of us.
Finally it was Sunday; mine and Abbye’s time to hang out. I really needed this. It was so fun. We went to the mall and had a salad and french fries. We took awesome photos in the photo booth. She said, “I see the way you look at Ethan. It's clear that you love him. Have you told him yet? I know he has a girlfriend but have you ever wondered if he would be with you if you told him?”
I said honestly, “Yes, you are right. I do love him, but it's not like he would ever feel the same way. He's said, I was just family to him. And no, I haven’t told him anyways and his girlfriend seems pretty serious.”
To which she says, “Well maybe if he knew how you felt, maybe he would go out with you.”
I responded,, “Thanks for trying to help, but I don’t know that it will work.”
As I went home, I called Ethan to ask him what was up and if him and Flor were going well and if we could hang out sometime. He said, “No it's actually not doing too well . We have had some really bad rough spots like when we have problems and I take it up with her. We never really fix the problem. She always just says, ‘Ya I see it or no I don’t think so.’ Hanging out sounds good, though. I miss hanging out with you.”
I texted the only way I could, “I’m really sorry. If you need anyone to listen to, I'm always here. Can we hang out on Tuesday? And I have to tell you something but I can’t tell you now I will tell you later.
He says, “Yes of course I will hang out with you Tuesday and okay just don’t make it weird whatever it is”.
“Okay, can’t wait byeee.” As I texted, I felt so happy. I was finally getting to hang with my bestie again. I was so happy I was thinking what to do then.
Suddenly I saw a picture on my computer. It was the time in 7th grade when Ethan and I in our theater class had to act out a big celebration. We decided to do a wedding. He looked so adorable in his little suite and his turquoise tie and beautiful white flower on his jacket. I could see this happening in real life. My hair was half down and half up with two braids on top. With a beautiful white veil with charming lace and white polka dots. It had pearls and jewels on the top and it looked like I had a crown on. I loved it so much. The dress had to be in the dress code of course. So It was a pretty white high low dress with lace arms. That was the day Ethan complimented me. He told me I looked like a very attractive princess ready to take her throne. That was the only compliment I had ever gotten from him. I told my 4 bridesmaids they could choose the color they wanted to wear; turquoise or peach. They all had shoulder lace straps and high low dresses, two chose turquoise and two chose peach. The groomsmen had cute suites and their ties matched the bridesmaids dress they were walking down the aisle with and a white flower also on their jacket. I let my maid of honor wear what color she wanted. She wore an amazing light sky blue, halter top, high low dress. It was perfect. When we had the stage kiss it was my first real kiss. It felt amazing like we were meant to be. Ever since that day, I wondered if he thought of it as just a stage kiss or something real, something more, like true soul mates.
“It's always darkest before the dawn.” I heard that in a tv show once. I think it fits my life. I don’t know how but it does. School seemed normal, Ethan and I finally exposed Tracy as the real cold snake she was. We did it by a camera just like the last time in 6th grade. In the video, she pummeled me into the locker and got her confession that she was the one who made the stink bomb in the teacher's lounge. She got suspended I figured.
The next day after school, I walked up to Ethan. My nerves were shaking, and I sat down next to him. He had this really worried look in his eyes. He said, “Hey are you okay?” and he put his arm around me.
My heart was beating so fast, I said, “No! Everything is not fine. I miss having all your attention, I miss the hangout, but most of all I miss us. The truth is I'm jealous of what Flor has with you that I can never have.” I felt like I was crushing into the seat. My emotions were on a high ride. As all these emotions came over, I had to continue so I swallowed hard and determined I had to get it all out. I took a deep breath and kept going. “ Do you remember in 7th grade when we had the wedding project? You told me that I looked like a very attractive princess ready to take her throne. I always wondered if that kiss meant anything to you. It is because, Ethan Heart Jones, I’m in love with you and I have finally said it. I've loved you ever since 6th grade when we met.”
He responded with, “Yes I remember our 7th grade wedding. You looked so beautiful in your white dress. I never thought about it before, but that kiss did mean something to me and maybe,

that’s why I keep getting with other girls who seemed perfect because I guess I was afraid you would never feel the same way deep down inside. I just didn’t really notice until now. Also, how do you know my middle name?” he asked as he started laughing . Then immediately he said, “ By the way Flor and I broke up last week and I don’t think she ever wants to get back together with me ever. I don’t know why I didn’t tell you. But you are the perfect girl for me. I have finally realized that.”
As Ethan and I walked off together, into the sunset, holding hands, I thought about all the adventures I had this year with Tracy which is now trying to be my friend, Ethan and I mostly becoming a couple, my parents divorce, and Abbye as my new bestie. I guess your life does have to fall apart before it comes back together or that “It’s always darkest before the dawn.” And that’s how my life fell apart in Junior Year.

This book has 1 comment.

JustMe_Vaanya SILVER, Dehradun, Other

"Una Vida, I have come to accept that I cant experience everything in life. But what I will, I'll experience deeply..."
-Shivya Nath

Great work!👍