Her Highness | Teen Ink

Her Highness

By XxThat_Fandom_FangirlxX, West Warwick, Rhode Island
XxThat_Fandom_FangirlxX, West Warwick, Rhode Island

"I know sometimes life just straight-up sucks, but hey, this is the only life you'll probably ever get so live it like no other."
- By me (boom!)

This was inspired by someone's story I read. Look up The Royal Guard by Miriorite.

I have written over 20 books and enjoy writing.

Nope! This is the whole diddly darn story. I wrote this for school so I couldn't turn this into a book. But I would love to! UwU

Nekshira giggles into her hand. “Come on! You’re so slow!”

“Slow?” the bulky male repeats, lifting a brow. His blue, slicked back hair glistens in the early lights of morning. His metallic, gray eyes watch her carefully. “I can easily catch you with no problem.”

“Then do it!” she dares and dashes off into the trees.

The boy sighs and jogs after her. Nekshira’s red silk dress flutters in the wind and her long albino hair billows behind her as she swerves around trees and navigates herself through the forest. She’s been in here plenty of times; Nekshira knows it as much as she knows the back of her hand. The boy, her guard, was not used to this terrain but still moved swiftly.

He catches up to her within a few minutes and taps her back to let Nekshira know he caught her. Nekshira laughs in delight and stops, hands on her knees and huffing. Her guard didn’t even break a sweat and the princess took note of this.

“Sheesh! You can do anything!” Nekshira exclaims, blowing a piece of her albino hair out of her mouth. Her violet and blue heterochromia eyes glance down at her dress which is ridden with leaves and streaks of dirt. Near the bottom is a tiny tear. “Oh, boy. My parents are going to yell at me for ruining another dress yet again. I wouldn’t be having this problem if I could just walk around in pants and a shirt.”

“Your parents say it isn’t sophisticated nor royal,” the boy says, kneeling on the grass to inspect the tear. His navy blue outfit is clean and crisp. His shoes are polished to a mirror shine. “It can be fixed with a needle and thread. Don’t fret.”

“Who said I was?” Nekshira grins. “They yell at me, they yell at me. They do it all the time.”

The guard frowns. “You should avoid getting in trouble with the King and Queen. How else would they know you’re ready for the throne?”

Nekshira sighs heavily. “You think I want to be queen of this big kingdom? The responsibilities of my choices burdening me every second of the day? What if I make a decision and destroy the lives of my people and their futures? To live with that guilt for the rest of my life? Already my people are starving because of the lack of food given out. They’re starting to turn against us.”

The guard -named Siluro- stays silent for a moment. “And I will be there with you every step of the way.”

“Aww,” Nekshira croons, leaning against his arm. “You’re so sweet, Siluro. “And I will be there with you every step of the way.” How cheesy is that?”

Siluro looks away, face reddening. “Forget I said anything.”

“No no. It really was kind of you to say something like that. Makes me feel like maybe I’m not so alone in this place,” she responds, gazing up at the sky. “Sometimes I feel as if this place is my prison. That I’ll die here too. We all will.”

They gaze up at the sky for a while, saying nothing. The fluffy white clouds roll by and birds glide through the skies. The leaves ruffle in the wind. The grass ripples like an ocean. It’s a warm day today. Perfect weather.

Siluro glances back at his princess. She seems so serene and calm here. Every other time she’s wrecking havoc within the kingdom like the little ball of mischief she is. But now, Nekshira doesn’t want to wreck anything. She just wants to spend some alone time with her favorite guard. 

Little did she know that her guard had developed feelings for her.

When Siluro met her, Nekshira was a few years younger and Siluro a few years older. Rebellious. Always getting into trouble without even meaning to. Siluro’s duty was to protect her as well as to make sure that she stays out of trouble. Somehow when Siluro wasn’t looking, Nekshira pulled a prank and got herself into trouble. Over and over again. Siluro almost thought it was impossible to restrain her from anything.

Siluro thought she was childish. A little spoiled. He didn’t like having to babysit her.

But one day, she disappeared.

Siluro panicked and searched throughout the entire kingdom. In all the corridors, in all the rooms, closets, kitchens, ect cetera. The princess was nowhere to be found. If the King ever found out he lost his precious princess, Siluro’s ending won’t be happy ever after.

Siluro ran into the woods and called her name. No reply. The chasm of guilt in his chest widened. Why was he not paying attention to her? What if something bad happened to her? Perhaps Nekshira had been kidnapped by an evil group of men who wanted a ransom.

Siluro paused by the tiny stream. He had heard something. Soft whimpers and sounds of crying. Siluro turned his head to the right to see Nekshira crouching by the stream on the other side, head hidden in her arms as she sobbed. Siluro immediately crossed the stream, not caring that his pants, shoes and socks were getting soaked.

“Your Highness, I was looking everywhere for you,” he said, standing next to her.

She sniffed. “Sorry. I had to leave.”

“Why?”

The princess went quiet.

“You can tell me,” Siluro said, voice dropping to a murmur. He crouched beside her and studied her pink face. Eyes puffy from crying and cheeks red. “I won’t tell anyone.”

“...All right,” she said reluctantly. “I just found out everyone in town hates me. They think I’ll make a terrible Queen and they plan to overthrow me when the time comes.”

“What? But you’re only a kid,” he protested. “Kids get into trouble all the time.”

“They don’t like the monarchy. Us royals. They think we’re so stuck-up and that we don’t care about them. We do! There’s just so much stuff going on that Mama and Papa’s plates are full. They can’t focus on every single person’s problems. And they hate us for it.” Her voice dropped to a whisper. “They killed my auntie.”

“What?”

“They killed Auntie Riua,” she repeated. “She was on her way here and the townspeople jumped her carriage. They killed her and the driver. We’re supposed to be going to her funeral soon.”

Siluro didn’t know what to say. He wasn’t the greatest at comforting people. He didn’t know how to deal with emotions. But seeing Nekshira like this, so sad and lonely, he knew he had to do something to make her feel better.

Siluro started to wrap his arms around her in this sort-of hug. Siluro felt a little stiff and tried to relax. Even the princess tensed a little before leaning against him, cheek on his chest. He patted her head awkwardly.

“If it makes you feel better, I lost someone very important to me too.” Siluro cleared his throat, preparing himself to reopen an old scar. “My father. He was killed. He was the only family I had left.”

“I’m sorry,” Nekshira mumbled. “I bet he’s really happy to see what a cool guy you are. How old were you when he died?”

“I was five.”

“Wow. And here I am sulking about being hated.”

“Don’t feel that way. I’d feel the same if I knew people resented me,” Siluro said. “You ever need a shoulder to cry on… I’m here.”

“Thanks, Siluro. You’re the best guard a princess could ask for.” She looked up at Siluro and cracked a small smile.

Siluro smiled back. “And you’re the best princess a guard could work for.”

Siluro’s thoughts on Nekshira changed since then.

A hand waves in front of Siluro’s face. He blinks out of his flashback. “You dazed out for a while. You okay?”

He nods quickly. “Uh, yes. I was just thinking about something.”

Nekshira checks the pocket watch her aunt had given her before she passed away. Bronze gold with golden hands. Golden numbers printed on it. A flower engraved on the casing. It’s truly beautiful and a work of art.

“Time to hit the books. Always wanted to say that.”

“Of course.” Siluro smiles.

Together they return to the humongous castle they live in. Siluro lives in a room alone, close to the princess’s quarters. He often stayed up at night making sure she was safely tucked in her room before resting himself. He always made sure someone had an eye on her; he didn’t want something to happen to her on his account. 

A white carriage with white horses is parked by the castle’s entrance. Siluro instantly scowls. He knows who’s here. And it’s-

“Prince Juo!” Nekshira exclaims happily.

‘Him. Why is he back again?’ Siluro thinks bitterly.

Prince Juo turns at the sound of his name. Blazing orange eyes and blond hair. Pale complexion and a beauty mark on the corner of his left eye. He wears a white outfit with a peacock pendant at his breast pocket. Black boots and golden decorations. He smiles as Nekshira rushes to him and throws herself in his arms.

“I missed you! When did you come?” Nekshira asks after pulling away.

“A few minutes ago. I’m glad I saw you just in time.” The prince turns his fiery gaze to Siluro. Siluro narrows his eyes in distaste. “Ah. Still don’t like me very much, do you?”

Siluro doesn’t answer. Just glares at the prince.

“Be nice,” Nekshira orders her guard. “He’s my best friend. He has never done any harm to me. At least, not on purpose.”

Prince Juo crosses his heart. “Never on purpose.”

Siluro scoffs and shifts his gaze elsewhere. He had heard rumors of their supposed marriage. And hot ire flames in his chest.

‘No,’ Siluro thinks, mentally slapping himself. ‘I have no chance with the princess. I am a guard. She is royalty. Nothing else between us. Besides, she seems very happy around the prince. They’d make a great couple.’

This didn’t make Siluro feel any better. 

“Come inside. We should chat indoors,” Nekshira says, dragging her best friend to the wide doors. Siluro rushes to open the door for Nekshira. She enters and Siluro shoots another look at Prince Juo. He smirks at him and it irks Siluro some more. It takes all of Siluro's strength to not choke the flashy prince on the spot. Or freeze him like a popsicle, as his abilities allowed.

Everyone in all the kingdoms have some sort of magic ability. Telekinesis, superstrength, fire, mind reading, and so on and so forth. The royals had the strongest abilities, thus giving them the power to rule. Nekshira’s ability is a strange one; no one could quite put a label on it. She could do multiple things, maybe implying she had more than just one ability. Siluro’s ability is ice. Freeze anything. He can withstand cold temperatures, even below zero degrees. Prince Juo’s ability is exactly what his fiery eyes are: fire. Can burn anything to a crisp. Siluro and Prince Juo are complete opposites, therefore making them dislike each other even more.

And the fact they are both after the same girl doesn’t make things better.

Nekshira excitedly talks to Prince Juo about anything and everything. Prince Juo listens with a big grin, interjecting here and there. Siluro just listened and observed any contact between the two. Light touches, brushes of the shoulders. Nekshira didn’t notice how intensely Siluro was staring at Prince Juo. 

Of course, the princess remained oblivious.

Siluro intended things to stay that way. If she ever found out about his feelings for her, who knows what she’ll say? Or do? 

God, what would her parents think?

Scenarios flit through his mind. Banishment was the most merciful one. Execution the least. Everyone laughing at him. The expression on Nekshira’s face was disgust. Something that made Siluro’s heart ache. Her leaving and marrying Prince Juo was the last thing he ever wanted.

Nekshira pushes open the doors to a vast and endless library. Books upon books stacked on wooden shelves. Even on the floor. Nekshira’s eyes brighten. She loves books. She’s almost read all the stories in the library. Nekshira runs to a shelf and starts trailing her finger on the binds of the books. 

“Hm. What should I read today?”

“Read about the most disgusting things on the planet,” Prince Juo jokes.

She makes a face at him and he chuckles. Siluro shuts the door behind them. He stands by the doorway, hands folded behind him.

“Hey, Siluro, come here. I want to show you something.”

Siluro obliges and walks to Nekshira. She points to a picture of a ruined building with panzers rolling in. “What is this a picture of?”

“World War One,” Siluro answers automatically.

Nekshira flips to a random page and points to another picture. “This one?”

“Khmer Rouge.”

“And this?”

“Battle of Pearl Harbor.”

“Please,” Prince Juo says, taking the book from her. “You’re giving him far too easy questions.” He filters through the pages. He points to one triumphantly. “How about this one?”

Siluro studies the picture. It’s familiar, but the name has slipped his mind. Siluro could sense Prince Juo’s smirk forming. It ticks Siluro off and finally the answer pops into his head.

“Philippine-American war.”

The smirks drops from Prince Juo’s face. Siluro just smiles at him and takes the book from his hands. 

“I know my history.”

“Yes. Yes, you do,” Nekshira says, patting Siluro on the back. Siluro smiles wider, elated. He loves being praised by the princess. “You are very smart. Wouldn’t be surprised if you became a general in a war or something.”

“Let’s hope it doesn’t become the case,” Siluro chuckles, placing the book back onto the shelf. “Now, aren’t you supposed to be studying the history of kings and queens?”

Nekshira groans. “Gosh darn. I was hoping you’d forget and let me read some other literature instead. It’s so BORING.”

“I fail to see how that’s my problem.” Siluro plucks a book and drops it into Nekshira’s hands. “Read.”

“You speak to a princess that way? A royal? Someone who is higher than you?” Prince Juo asks, shocked. “Someone who can get rid of you at any moment? Do you have no respect, you peasant?”

“Juo!” Nekshira chides him. “He’s just playing.”

“He has no right to talk to you like that. He should know his place.” Prince Juo gets close and personal into Siluro’s face. Siluro, being taller by a couple of inches, looks down at him calmly. “Don’t act all smug now. You’re only a guard because of the family that took you in. You should be grateful that you are not living on the streets.”

“I am grateful. Extremely grateful,” Siluro says, voice noticeably deeper. He glowers at the prince. “Please back up, Your Highness.”

“Now you’re telling me what to do?” Prince Juo spits. He shoves Siluro’s shoulder. “Check yourself, before I do it for you.”

“You are not in charge of me, Nekshira is,” Siluro says matter-of-factly.

“Oh, really?”

“The two of you, knock it off!” Nekshira wedges herself between the two and pushes them away from each other. She has a lot of strength for a small and skinny girl. Both boys stumble back in surprise. “This is a library, so hush up! If you guys are going to have a fight, do it elsewhere because I don’t want to hear it.” She marches deeper into the library, grumbling.

Siluro curses softly under his breath. He made his princess angry, something he never wanted to happen. Prince Juo looks the guard up and down before saying something that made Siluro’s skin icy cold:

“I know you are in love with the princess.”

Siluro whips his head at the boy, cheeks blushing. Prince Juo grins, glad he’s correct. Siluro attempts to stutter a response, “W-what? No, of course not! I-I- No-”

“Looks like I was right,” Prince Juo sings in a sing-songy voice. “And what’s to stop me from telling the princess herself?”

“Don’t you dare,” Siluro growls, grabbing the prince by the collar. He’s finally lost his cool. “She doesn’t need to know.”

“Stay out of my way, then there’ll be no need to,” Prince Juo says, still smiling. “Now, let go of me.”

Siluro hesitates, then releases him. The prince dusts off the tiny ice crystals on his collar, bows to Siluro mockingly, and goes off to find Nekshira.

Siluro snarls and punches the bookshelf. The prince was blackmailing him! Royalty, using his own secret against him! Siluro always despised Prince Juo, but now it was just pure hatred. The prince doesn’t deserve Nekshira, who would never blackmail anyone for her selfishness. Nekshira isn’t selfish and she’s just not that way.

‘People like him will rot your teeth out.’

Siluro swings open the door and exits, leaving behind icy crystals in his wake.

- - - - -

Hey, where have you been?” Nekshira questions her guard.

“My apologies, Princess. I was sweeping the perimeter,” Siluro responds plainly, not looking her in the eye.

“Oh. Well, that’s okay. No need to apologize. It’s time for me to go horse-back riding and all that fun stuff,” Nekshira says, eyes glowing. She glances at Prince Juo. “Would you like to come?”

“Unfortunately, I have to go. My father is expecting me back home,” Prince Juo says, checking the time. “Meeting someone rather important, I gather. But I’ll be back soon.”

“Sure hope so!” Nekshira cries, hugging her friend once more. “Don’t be afraid to visit.”

“Ha! Have I ever been?” Prince Juo smiles, the glances at Siluro. “Take care of her. Wouldn’t want anything bad to happen.”

Ah. There it is. That little weasel. Siluro forces a smile back. “Yessir.”

“Farewell.”

“Farewell!”

‘And good riddance,’ Siluro mutters in his head.

After he leaves, Nekshira says “Tell me.”

“Say again?” Siluro asks, puzzled.

“I know something happened between you two. What happened?” Nekshira responds, looking her guard in the eye. It’s amazing how she knows these things. Like a psychic.

“...It’s nothing.” Siluro looks away, shying from her fervent gaze. “Nothing to worry about, Your Highness.”

“There you go again, calling me “Your Highness” when I told you not to,” she chides him. “Now I know something is afoot. Remember when you said I could tell you anything? It goes both ways. Spill.”

Siluro opens his mouth then clamps it shut. He can’t confess to her- not like this. He didn’t want to know what her reaction would be if he did tell her. Rather keep it a secret than be rejected by the young woman he cherished and loved.

“I think it’s time for you to go horse-back riding,” Siluro says softly before heading to the stalls.

Nekshira stares at Siluro’s back. The first time he ever refused an order! The first time he ever hid something from her. To be honest, it kind of stung. It was like the beginning of them separating. 

But Nekshira knew he wouldn’t go against her orders without doing it for a good reason. She intends to find out what happened in the library after she left the two alone.

Nekshira goes into a private bathroom to change into her horse-back riding gear. A pair of long jeans, a white long sleeved turtleneck shirt, a black riding helmet with a lightning sticker on it, and black boots. She lets her hair cascade around her shoulders and pushes the door open.

Siluro awaits with her favorite horse's reins in hand. The horse has a fine white coat with a black shape in the middle of its head, like the shape of her kingdom. She grew up riding that horse. Been with her since she was a colt. Nekshira approaches the horse and strokes her head.

“Heya, Wish. How are you today?”

Wish chuffs, nosing her owner lovingly. Nekshira laughs. She plucks an apple from a nearby tree and feeds it to her. “Ready to go for a ride?”

Wish snorts yes in reply. Nekshira could understand her horse so well, sometimes people would look at her funny for talking to Wish. Wish understood her. And she understood Wish.

Siluro, on the other hand, was always unfazed by this. Nekshira knows he’s a lot different from the others. And Nekshira is glad to have such a unique individual as her guard. 

“Hey, Siluro, have you ever ridden a horse before?”

“No,” Siluro answers as he shakes his head.

Nekshira hops onto her horse with the ease of a dancer. She offers him a hand. “All aboard!”

Siluro shakes his head again, backing up. “No, thank you-”

“What are you afraid of? She’s not going to bite. Wish is friendly to all my friends,” Nekshira assures Siluro. But Siluro remains skeptical. “Come on. It’s easy once you get the hang of it.”

Siluro hesitates before accepting her hand. One foot on the stirrup and swings his other leg to the other side of the horse behind Nekshira. She asks if he’s ready and he nods. The princess takes a hold of the reins and gives it a light shake. Wish starts forward and for a moment, Siluro got so startled he held Nekshira by the waist to not fall off. He looks away, face on fire. He’s never been this close to her nor touched her like this before. It felt odd, this warm feeling in his chest.

“Mind if we go a little faster?” Nekshira asks, glancing over her shoulder. The sunlight hits her pale hair directly, appearing to glow and almost blinding Siluro.

“Not at all-”

Nekshira snaps the reins and Wish’s- slowly but surely -speed increases. Siluro now has to hold on to the female in fear of falling off. If he did, Siluro wonders, would Nekshira notice? Maybe not after a few meters.

A peal of laughter elicits from Nekshira. Her laughter is so contagious that Siluro had to laugh too. He always had fun with Nekshira. Everyday she finds ways to have fun and life stays interesting. One of the things Siluro likes about her.

Siluro sits up and watches mixes of green and white and yellow zip by. They all look like a blur but it still feels nice. The air rushes past Siluro’s face and he can smell damp earth from up here. What a beautiful scenery-

Wish jumps over a wooden fence and Siluro yelps in surprise, his hold on Nekshira tightening. Nekshira giggles again and yells, “What’s wrong, Scaredy-Cat? Can’t handle a little speed and turbulence?”

“I can too!” Siluro shouts back, flushing in embarrassment. “I just got momentarily stunned!”

“Ha! That’s funny,” Nekshira laughs again. “All right, I’ll stop torturing you.” She pulls back on the reins and Wish slows to a walk.

Siluro sighs in relief. He smooths down his ultramarine hair and his head drops to Nekshira’s shoulder. Siluro rests his head there for a moment, trying to gather himself and regain his composure. That ride took him for a ride.

“Are you okay?” Nekshira asks softly.

“‘M fine. Don’t worry, Princess,” Siluro mumbles.

“I should’ve gone a little easier on a rookie like yourself, huh?”

“Yeah.”

Nekshira tilts her head so her head rests on his. They say nothing.

Just like old times.

Le Time Skip~

Nekshira strolls with Siluro following her to the throne room where her parents await. She’s been called there to discuss a matter. But she doesn’t know what. Did she do something wrong? Did they find out she was the one who dyed all the clothes pink?

They couldn’t of. The trail was too clean.

The guards at the entrance push open the door in front of her. Streams of light flood in through the wide and tall windows. A majestic and vast room of family portraits and jewelry decorate it. A red carpet leads to the two large golden thrones. There sat her mother and father, the King and Queen of Nevaira.

“Yes, Papa? Mama?” Nekshira greets.

“We have very important and exciting news for you,” Mama says. She glances at her husband and touches his hand. He cups it.

“You are getting married.”

Nekshira says nothing. Portrays nothing. “Who?”

“The one and only Prince Juo!” Mama exclaims, clapping her hands. “Isn’t that delightful? I always knew you two would make a dashing couple.”

‘Couple?’ Siluro and Nekshira think at the same time.

“But Mama and Papa. Do I have to be married now?” she asks, brows furrowed. Siluro’s hands tighten behind his back.

“You’re about to be that age. Yes, you do, if you ever want to be Queen of Nevaira someday,” Papa explains.

“...Okay.” Nekshira stares at the ground.

“You do not sound excited about it,” Mama observes.

“No! I am. Absolutely ecstatic!” Nekshira says in a fake cheery tone. “I can’t wait to be Queen of my kingdom.”

“That’s the spirit, my young dove,” Papa says approvingly. “Now, off you go. We have everything planned and arranged with Prince Juo’s parents. Of course, you can pick out your own wedding dress.”

“Thank you, Mama and Papa,” Nekshira exclaims. “See you soon.”

The doors close behind her as they exit. Nekshira briskly walks away and Siluro trails behind her. Siluro notices something is off with the princess. She doesn’t look like herself.

“...Nekshira?” he asks as soon as she pauses on the balcony. Her hands grip the railing and her arms shake.

“I don’t want to get married. I don’t want to be Queen just yet. It’s happening all too fast,” Nekshira murmurs. “I only see Juo as a brother, nothing more. And here they are, forcing an arranged marriage on me. I don’t want this.”

Siluro tries not to focus on “seeing Juo as only a brother” piece. “Why not tell them?”

Nekshira looks at Siluro as if he just told her to leap off a cliff. “What? No! Why would you suggest a thing, knowing my parents would say “no” quicker than anything! They never really let me have a say on anything. And, oh boy, I get to pick out my wedding dress! Yippee! My very dream!” 

Nekshira looks so conflicted, Siluro promises he’d help her get out of this situation. “Run away.”

“W-what?”

“Run away,” Siluro says again. He offers her a hand. “Run away with me. Then we’ll live the life you want to live. Go anywhere you want. Live however you want. Do anything you want. You say the word and we’ll go.”

Nekshira stares up at Siluro with shiny eyes. Tears swell up in her eyes and Siluro’s hand wavers, a bit startled. Why is she crying? Did he do something wrong?

She tackles him unexpectedly, causing Siluro to grunt and crash onto the floor. Nekshira cries into his chest, arms around him. Siluro, without thinking, wraps his arms around her, comforting her. He strokes her hair but in the back of his mind, he’s like ‘What is going on-?’

Nekshira gazes up at him with rosy cheeks and a pink nose. She sniffs. “I should’ve known you were right by me all this time.”

“Come again?” Siluro asks, confused.

“I should’ve known you were the one,” she whispers so quietly, it took a second for Siluro’s mind to decipher what she had said.

Siluro exhibits a bright blush. “H-huh?”

Nekshira inhales a deep breath. “S-Siluro, I-”

The door swings open. “Shira, are you here-”

The princess glances up and the guard pushes himself up with an elbow. There stood the hot and raging prince of Oprik.

Prince Juo. Who had witnessed this.

“Get. Away. From. Her,” the prince growls, the room suddenly sky-rocketing to 100 or more degrees. Nekshira scrambles off with a crimson blush and hides her face in her hair. Siluro rises to his feet and stands face-to-face with Juo.

“Or what?” the guard challenges. “You’re going to banish me? Execute me? Chop my head clean off?”

Flames lick around Juo’s silhouette. “Or I’ll kill you.”

Nekshira’s head whips back up, alarmed. “Juo! What in Queen Huri’s name are you doing?!”

“I’m going to get this pathetic guard out of my way once and for all,” Prince Juo snarls, flames reaching higher to the room.

“Let’s take it outside, then. We don’t want to burn down the castle, do we?” Siluro smiles. The prince growls again and the flames simmer down, the room temperature dropping. Siluro starts to go after Prince Juo after he storms out of the room but Nekshira grabs his arm.

“Siluro, please. Don’t go. Let’s just run away, like you said.” Her pleading eyes look into Siluro’s. Everything inside said to do as she says and obey. But Siluro knows he has to end a few things with the prince and him.

“I have to,” he says softly, gently pulling his arms away. “Don’t fret, Nekshira. I’ll come back to you.”

“You better, or I’ll grab your soul and smack it,” she huffs, tears still in her eyes.

Siluro brushes the tears away. “Yes, my Royal Highness.”

Then the happiest moment happens in both of their lives. Nekshira stands in her tippy-toes and yanks Siluro close by grabbing his collar. Her lips meet his and Siluro’s eyes widen. They were kissing. Euphoria bubbles up. This is the happiest thing that has ever happened in Siluro’s life, right after meeting the princess. Siluro kisses her back, still shocked and wondering ‘How on Earth am I kissing the princess of Nevaira?’

“Be safe. Juo can be brutal. I’ve seen it firsthand.” She shudders. “Brutal. Disastrous. Devastating. Absolutely terribly-”

“I get it,” Siluro laughs and pecks her on the forehead. He turns. 

He hears the three words he’s waited for his entire life.

“I love you.”

Siluro stops in his tracks. A smile forms on his face and more fizz and jovial explosions pop off in his chest. 

“I love you, my Nekshira.”

Years Later…

A young woman and her child huddle together in a dark and disgusting alley. Both are streaked with dirt and grime and smell awful. Skinny and starved. Homeless and no family or friends to help them. The young mother won’t be able to afford food for her child anymore. And her poor baby was sick, sniffling and coughing into his ripped sleeve. There’s nothing she can do. She’s never been so helpless before.

“I’m so sorry, baby,” her ragged voice whispers, combing her fingers through his greasy hair.

“It’s okay, Mum,” the boy says cheerfully. He plays with the stones on the floor. “We’ll be alright, I just know it!” He coughs again. He sounds so much worse.

The mother smiles sadly, tears welling up in her tired eyes. He stays optimistic even in rough times like these. Her little star in the blackest void. 

She doesn’t want to lose him. But it seems like it might go that route.

Two dark figures approach them. The woman senses them and pulls her child close. There’s fear in her wide eyes. 

“W-what do you want? We h-have no money, no food. Please spare u-us.”

“We don’t want to rob you,” a voice whispers. A female voice, from the sounds of it. She reaches into her cloak and the woman whimpers. In her hand, is baked bread. She offers it to the boy. “Here you go, little buddy. Baked it myself.”

The boy takes it gratefully. “Thank you, missus!”

“We have tons more if you want,” the taller figure says. Male. “I can tell your son is sick. We can nurse him back to help.”

“I don’t know,” the woman mumbles, watching her son eat. “How can I know to trust you?”

“Please.” The woman stares at the cloaked female. Why was she begging? It’s supposed to be the other way around. Has the world gone mad? Has she gone mad? “I don’t want to see anything happen to you or your little boy. I have my own set of sons at home and I’d hate to see them get hurt. Please. Let us help you.”

The woman tries to see under their hoods. To see their eyes. The girl looks up slightly and the mother swears she saw mis-matched eyes. The girl looks quickly back down.
“You don’t want help? Fine. We’ll look for someone else who’d appreciate our help,” the male rumbles, turning on his heel.

“W-wait!” the mother calls. “Please. Help me.”

“Of course. Come with us. We’ll take you to our home and take care of you both.” She beckons them forward and follows the male.

The woman rises unsteadily to her feet. Her son wobbles, looks up, and smiles a big smile at his mum. A gap-toothed grin. The grin the mother wants to keep safe.

“Let’s follow these nice people, Gereq.”

And mother and son follow the couple into the starry night.  

- By me (boom!)

@Writtingisamazing
Alright, lemme clear it up just a tad. The pair in the cloaks is the princess and guard. They had run away together and started helping the poor and starved in the kingdoms. So they decided to help out the mother and father.
Hope that clears things up a little! :)

Writtingisamazing BRONZE, Allentown, Pennsylvania

Act as if what you do makes a difference because it does!

Amazing but the ending was a little confusing