The Text | Teen Ink

The Text

March 15, 2022
By iluvd3ft0nes, Santa Ana, California
More by this author
iluvd3ft0nes, Santa Ana, California
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

This piece is supposed to help with LGBTQ+ and Latinx representation.

The Text


It’s my first day back to school since I’ve been gone from being sick, I’m actually nervous. My mom is in the parking lot of the Carls Jr. in front of my school, as I get off she tells me “Have a good day Mija. Love you.”

My voice is shaking from the nervousness of walking in front of everyone. “Te amo tambien byeee mom.” I say As I walk from Carls Jr. to my school. When I see Alicia the girl I’ve had a crush on since the 6th grade.

While waving, Alicia says “Hi Andy”

I freak out thinking that I might have a chance with her but then remember we used to be friends in 6th grade and that could be the reason Alicia said hi. I mean I do follow her on Instagram, but we don’t talk, maybe one day I should text her. 

I say “Hi Alicia” while trying not to sound too excited. Instead of stopping to talk to her, like I should, I cross the street as the crosswalk light says to cross. While on my way into school, Alicia is walking behind me, so I feel more nervous to walk into school than I already am. I see my friends and walk right towards them with a big smile on my face, you could see every single one of my dimples. 

“Andy your novia Alicia was walking behind you-” Arlette says as they realize who was walking behind me. She runs up to me and hugs me. “Hi I missed you!” they said as I am still in their arms.  

“I missed you too but she’s not my girlfriend!” I said while getting out of Arlette’s arms. I turn to my right to say hi to my other friends Maggie and Jess. “Hey Maggie,” I say while turning to jess. “Hey Jess,” I say while going to hug both of them.

“Did you finally go up and talk to her?” Maggie says while raising her eyebrow.

I reply to Maggie’s question “No, but we greeted each other right now” I slowly begin regretting not trying to talk to her. It’s whatever now though since she already went with her friends somewhere else. 

“Andy’s a p*ssy” Arlette laughs while picking up their backpack since the bell is about to ring. 

As the bell rings, we walk and there she is again walking in front of me this time. Andy don’t trip or do anything embarrassing, I think to myself as we start to get closer to her.

“Oh my god Andy tu novia,” Arlette says while lightly hitting my shoulder.

I begin to turn red and get flustered “Arlette how many times do I have to tell you, she’s not my girlfriend!” Alicia turns around which made me scared she heard what we were saying, but then again we didn’t specifically say who. Then the thought of her thinking I do have a girlfriend frightened me since it’ll lower my chances that I already don’t have.

As I drop off Arlette, Maggie, and Jess at class I think to myself whether I should text her today, maybe come off as friendly and then start giving hints. No! That’s scary and I don’t want to come off as friendly I want to tell her straightforward. I go into class while still questioning, but realize I have to focus on my work.


It’s lunchtime now, all I could think about was meeting up with Bri and telling her. Bri’s my cousin that lives across the street from me, she’s like my best friend. Anyways, I get a random burst of courage and start to open my phone, I go on Instagram and click on Alicia’s Instagram account and begin typing hey lol Which is like the nowadays way of saying hey I think you’re cute. I freak out and scream “Arlette should I do it?”

Arlette gets excited and squeals “Yes amiga, do it!”

I freak out and throw my phone towards Arlette “ Arlette press the send button for me!”

Arlette presses the send button 

Arlette, Maggie, Jess, and I all squealed and freaked out. 

The bell rings so we all walk to class, I have math so I walk alone on the third floor. I see Alicia, she also has math but a different teacher. We both smile and wave at each other which makes me turn red, making me question if she saw my message. I go into class and check my phone right before we start and realize Alicia Replied. I freak out as I read what she says back.

Alicia: HIIII

I get flustered and turn red. I’m lost for words but I still reply.

Me: UR SO COOL OMG

 

School is over, and I run over to Arlette’s class and show her. We both scream and say “oh my god!” 

Arlette tells me “Are you going to tell her you think she’s cute?” while lightly hitting my shoulder repeatedly.

“Yes, maybe when I’m with Bri since I can’t be risky at all,” I say while jumping out of excitement. 

Arlette and I walk towards the Starbucks near our school to get picked up by our moms. On our way there we run into Alicia, she sees me and smiles at me. 

Arlette saw what Alicia did and punches my arm lightly as always “She smiled at you- I think she might like you!”

I think to myself Alicia has made it known she likes girls maybe I should go for it and see where it goes. 

As I get home, I rush into my room and change. I check if Alicia texted me, she did but I’m waiting to reply until I get to Bris’s house since I have no clue how to flirt. I text Bri since I don’t just want to come over without asking

Me: HEY CAN I COME OVER? IT’S AN EMERGENCY!

Bri: YES, OMG WHAT HAPPENED?

I go up to my mom slowly and ask “Ama, can I go over to Bri’s?”

“Again? Ok, fine what time will you be back?” She says since I go to Bri’s house every day.

“Is six ok?” I say while tapping my foot on the floor since I want to rush over.

My mom says with a sigh “Okay, yes but be back by six” 

I go running out the door, I trip and fall over a rock. I stay on the floor laughing for a good minute. I get up and continue running. 


I’m at Bri’s house now, after telling Bri everything that happened today she tells me to tell Alicia straightforward. Bri takes my phone and begins to type: “I think you’re cute,” She shows me what she typed. 

“Is that okay for me to send?” Bri says while holding my phone in front of my face.

I get nervous and hesitate but I want to shoot my shot so I say “Yes!”

Bri presses the send button and we squeal. 

Not even a minute has passed and Alicia had responded.

Alica: UR CUTE TOO! 

“Bri-” I say with my hand over my mouth. 

Bri glances at me thinking I’m just going to annoy her like I always do “What?”

“She responded!” I say while jumping from excitement.

Bri smiles and laughs “what did she say?”

While showing Bri what Alicia had told me I get a message from Arlette…

Arlette: I CAN’T GET OVER HOW UR LITTLE MOCO LOOKING ASS GOT HER TO RESPOND

Bri laughs since I didn’t see what Arlette had said and shows me “Moco really?”

“Omg, I’m not a moco,” I say while laughing. 

Arlette has been calling me that ever since we became friends because of my green hair. 

I hung out with Bri for a bit until six, I was talking to Alicia the whole time. One thing I like about her already was that she responded quickly and she matched the energy that I gave off.


It’s been a couple of days since I’ve texted Alicia. We have been texting each other all day and each day that has passed, and we continue to. We are too scared to even say hi to each other now at school. I think she likes me I say to myself in the hallways each day. We have been meeting in the bathroom to hang out since we’re too scared to hang out with each other around our friends since supposedly our friends are “intimidating” to each other.


School is over and it was pretty much the same thing as any other school day. I go to Bris’s house after school every day when she doesn’t have work. I don’t like staying at home seeing my mom get sicker and having to deal with her taking it out on me. I stay until 6 before it gets dark since my mom gets scared of me walking back home at night. 

Bri and I are watching a movie, I can hear the popcorn popping in the Microwave “pop…pop” is all you hear. Then we hear a loud “Beeppp”

While getting off her bed “Popcorns ready!” Bri says.

“I'll get the hot sauce!” I say while running and sliding on the floor in my socks to open the cabinet I text Alicia the whole time while there.

“Quit smiling and being all googly-eyed, I’m trying to watch a movie here,” Bri says while rolling her eyes

“Sorry I just don’t want to lag on her, I promise I’m watching the movie,” I say while hugging Bri.

We go back to watching the movie and laugh. 


While on my way home I get a call from my dad. I don’t really like my dad so my first thought when he called me was Not this guy again, what does he want now? I answered the call and tried my best to sound interested. 


After the call, I went home crying because of the news I had heard. My mom was getting sick again and I was tired of the same cycle. My mom has a mental illness that makes her hear people say things that they didn’t, and they’re mostly bad things about her that she hears. She also is bipolar which makes her dangerous to be around when she hears things because she could snap any second. I think to myself How did my dad even find out who told him? My parents are divorced so I guessed it was my brother who told him. 

For the rest of the walk home, I was listening to music. I had my music on full volume to block out the world.  


I get home and the first thing I do is run up to my mom and hug her. While crying in her arms I tell her “Ama, I Love you” 

“Why are you crying Mija? What’s wrong?” My mom says with a worried look on her face. 

I gasp for air “You keep getting sicker, and I’m scared you’re going to go away”

“I’m not going anywhere okay, I promise,” My mom says while rubbing my hair.

I can feel her hand on my head, it is comforting. I finally relaxed and sit up to get water. 

“I’m going in my room is that okay?” I say while sniffing my boogers back in my nose.

She looks concerned but she smiles and says “Yes, of course, you don’t have to ask” 

I go back to my room and start texting Alicia.

Me: HEY SORRY FOR LAGGING I NORMALLY DONT LAG I WAS JUST NOT FEELING WELL AND SOMETHING HAPPENED

Alicia: ITS OKAY ARE YOU OKAY? DO YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT? 


After telling Alicia what Happened and her comforting me, I finally realize how much I like Alicia. I never have told someone about My mom. I think to myself I should tell Alicia how I feel about her. So I begin typing…

Me: ALICIA I NEED TO TELL YOU SOMETHING
Alicia: YEAH WHAT’S WRONG?!?

Me: I LIKE YOU AND I WAS WONDERING IF YOU WANTED TO GO OUT WITH ME 

ALICIA: I LIKE YOU TOO AND YES DUHH

We were officially dating oh my god I thought to myself as I screamed in my pillow out of happiness. I text Arlette and Bri in the group chat we have.

ME: GUYS WERE DATING NOW

ARLETTE: YOU AND ALICIA?!?

ME: YESSS DUDE

BRI: OMG AHHH 


It’s the next day at school…

I see Alicia and we wave at each other. 

While hitting my shoulder as usual Arlette screams “You should’ve gone up and hugged her!”

“I don’t know if she’s comfortable with it,” I say while rubbing my shoulder because for some reason it hurt this time.


It was in the afternoon when I got the text…

Mom: Andy do you have a girlfriend?

I was in shock and didn’t know what to say to her. My mom knew I was a lesbian and was supportive for the most part but her mental illness makes her ashamed of me. So I was scared she would get mad. 

I finally reply…

Me: Ama I’m sorry, but I do.

Mom: Why would you do this to me? You know how I feel about you being with a girl. It makes me look bad. 

At this point, I had snapped. I was so angry and tired of being put down just for my mom.

Me: I’m sorry but so what if it does. I’m finally happy for once and I am not going to hide it.

Mom: I am really disappointed in you andy.

While I’m on the verge of tears, I ask the teacher if I could go to the bathroom. I text Alicia because I have no idea what to do. 

Me: IM SORT OF LIKE ON THE VERGE OF TEARS IM GOING TO THE BATHROOM RN AHAHA

Alicia: OMG WHATS WRONG IM OMW

While I’m in the bathroom crying Alicia comes rushing in.

“What’s wrong?” Alicia says with a worried look on her face. 

I tell her everything that happened while trying to hold my tears in.

Alicia hugs me tight and says “everything is going to be okay” 

I smile and laugh out of happiness. I think to myself How can one person change my mood by just hugging me. I wipe my tears and give Alicia a big hug.

“I love you,” I say while smiling and laughing.

Alicia looks shocked but she smiles after and says “I love you too”


It’s been a couple of days since the incident in class happened. My mom is still very mad but I still don’t care. I found out her Therapist gave her 2 weeks to show improvement or else she would get sent to the mental hospital. This news felt like a bullet shot right through my heart. If she gets sent away I wouldn’t know what to do, I would have to stay with my dad who lives 40 minutes away from town. 


It's been a few days since I found out the news, I keep trying to ignore how it is making me feel. I have a date with Alicia in a couple of minutes. I am feeling nervous and anxious about the date, even though I’ve been with Alicia before. 


I’m at the arcade, it’s the place Alicia and I picked for our date. As I’m waiting for Alicia to get here, I go and throw my gum away. After I get back from throwing my gum away I see Alicia. 

“You look beautiful,” I say while smiling at Alicia.

Alicia gets flustered then covers her mouth with her hand and laughs “Thank you” 


After playing games for a while we go to the photo booth that’s in the corner of the arcade. We have taken 2 pictures and we are left with 2 more pictures to take. My blood is pumping, my palms are sweaty. I lean in closer, my leg is shaking from my anxiousness. 

Alicia leans in closer too.

I think to myself I’m going to go for it…

I kiss her.

We smile at each other and laugh. 

“I love you,” Alicia says while smiling “I didn’t expect you to do that since you’re the biggest chicken I know” 

“What I am not, you’re a chicken!” 

We both laugh and pose for the last picture.

When we get out of the photobooth, I check my phone while we wait for the pictures to print. I see that my brother Alejandro texted me. 

Alejandro: Hey mom got taken to the mental hospital, I’m going to be the one picking you up. Don’t worry she’s okay so have fun and try not to think about it.

I’m shocked it feels like my heart just dropped down to my stomach. The world just stopped and everyone is moving around as I just stand there. 

I snap out of it as I hear Alicia 

“The pictures are cute!” Alicia says with a big smile on her face.

I feel way better as I see her smile light up. I don’t tell her what happened since I don’t want to ruin the moment so I just try to ignore what happened.

“Omg, they look so cute!” I say with a big smile on my face. 

I like the one where it caught our first kiss. It was the best moment I’ve ever had. 


After Alicia and I were at the Arcade for a while. I walk her to get picked up. Alicia hugs me then smiles at me, she kisses me and says bye. 

I start walking back in since my brother isn’t there yet and so I decide I’m going to try to win the stuffed panda that was in the claw machine. I slide the card through the card reader and begin playing. The panda was right in the middle of the claw machine, I could surely get it. I fix the claw to be right on top of the panda… “CLICK” I press the button. The claw starts to pick the panda up, I win the panda.

I check my phone and I see my brother texted me. I start walking outside and see his car. I get in the car and he gives me a big hug. It feels nice since we never really hug, I smile and cherish the moment. 


After getting home I ask my brother if I could stay the night at Bri’s and he says yes. So I start packing my things as I text Alicia, I tell her what happened. 

Alicia: I’m sorry that happened but I’m always here if you need anything:)


After I get to Bri’s house, I tell Bri what happened and How I don’t want to go with my dad. 

“Well you can stay with me if you want to,” Bri says with a smile.

My face brightens like the moon in the night sky “Really? Is your mom going to be okay with it?”

“I’m pretty sure she will, let me go ask her,” Bri says while getting out of her bed.


It’s been a couple of minutes since Bri went to go ask her mom. I’m nervous hopefully she says yes, I know I am going to feel way better at Bri’s house than at my dad’s. 

Bri comes in hopping from the ground “She said yes!”

I smile and scream “omg! Yay!”

I text my brother asking him and he agrees that it is best for me to stay with Bri. 

I text Alicia out of joy.

Me: I GET TO STAY OMG! I AM STAYING WITH BRI

Alicia: OMG YAYYY IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU


It’s been about 2 weeks since everything has happened. I am dealing with my situation pretty well. I call my moms every day when it is her call hours, she seems to be doing better. I hope she is able to come home soon.

Alicia and I have been doing well, we’ve been hanging out every day after school and in school. We found out we’re both going to the same high school, I am honestly happy and I can’t wait for next year.


It’s been about 4 weeks now that has passed since the incident. My mom is finally coming home after being in the Mental Hospital. I am so excited to see her, hopefully, she is better. As we pull up on the curbside to pick her up I see her standing there, my brother and I get out of the car.

“Hi guys, I missed you so much,” My mom says with a tear rolling down her cheek.

“Hi ama, I missed you too,” I say while I’m on the verge of tears.

My brother is silent which is weird since he always is loud and talkative. He goes in to hug my mom, It was a long hug. I don’t think I ever have seen him hug her like that.

Before we get into the car to drive home, she stops me.

“Andy, I need to apologize for what I said to you, I don’t care if you have a girlfriend as long as she makes you happy.” My mom says while leaning in to hug me. 

“You should meet her, she’s amazing,” I say while squeezing her tight in my arms.


It has been a week since my mom has returned, and I’m getting ready to go on a date with Alicia. My mom is also getting ready since she is going to meet her for the first time. I hope everything goes well. 


I see Alicia and I hug her, she smiles and kisses me on the cheek. My mom and Alicia greet each other, they seem happy to meet each other.


The night went so well, I can’t wait to have so many more nights like these. 

THE END



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


Makyek BRONZE said...
on Mar. 31 2022 at 11:02 pm
Makyek BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
4 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'm not mad at you because you called stefan I'm mad at you because I love you"-Damon Salvatore
"I'm not sorry for loving you"-Elena Salvatore

I wrote something like this before