Heed | Teen Ink

Heed

This short story includes an unpleasant experience with a partner. Showing the big period of time spent with that person already and the toxic traits they show. 

The warm and sweet aroma of coffee can be smelled all across the shop. The small ringing of a bell is heard every time the door is pushed open. There are climbing plants and string lights stretched out upon the walls. The only colors this place has to offer are tan, cream, brown, black, and green. You can hear the soft voices of people talking, enjoying their drinks, and pastries. Beneath all that, a song is playing, “Amor De Siempre” by Cuco. Profundo en el mar, es el hoyo de mi corazón. One of my top songs and I still can’t remember all of the lyrics. I lean back in my chair and poke at the leaves of the small plant placed at the center of the table. A voice comes from behind me.

“Hey”

I turn to see Demetri holding a tray with two cups and pastries on it. “Let me help you.” I stand to grab the tray from him and place it on the table. 

“Thanks,” Demetri says, taking a seat right beside me. “I ordered you a latté with some Belgian waffles and a kouign-Amann. It’s similar to a croissant but I think you’ll like it better. And I got myself a latté with a breakfast croissant.”

Both latté’s have a heart-shaped design made using microfoam. The kouign-Amann has a crisp outside but maybe it’ll also have flaky layers on the inside like the croissant. Next to it, there are three large stacked waffles with raspberries, blueberries, cut strawberries, and whipped cream on top. Bacon, avocado, and chive pieces can be seen sticking out of the croissant. The scrambled eggs make it look more stuffed. 

“It looks good,” I say before taking a sip of my coffee. I stare at it right after to see the heart made out of microfoam disappear and make an obscured shape. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, it’s honestly nothing. Today is our 2nd year anniversary ever since you became my girlfriend and this is where I decided to take you. Sorry” Demetri says looking down. 

“No no, this is good.” 

“But this is where we usually go, it’s nothing special.”

“It’s a great way of spending today. Don’t worry, I like it very much.”

“Okay,” —a small smile forms on his face— “Do you want some of my croissant?”

“I’m good,” I say. 

I take a bite out of the kouign-Amann. It’s sweet with a caramelized, soft, and light crunchy texture. The Belgian waffles have a crisp outside with a light and fluffy texture on the inside. 

“Did you like it?” Demetri asks once I’m finished. 

“Yeah, it was very good,” I say. 

A buzzing sound comes from the pocket of my coat. 

It’s my phone. I turn it on, it’s 11:53 a.m. There’s a message from one of my friends, Nathaneal. I open the message and it says, “hey” “you free later?”

“Who is it?” Demetri asks. 

“My friend Nathaneal. He just asked if I’m free later, I’ll tell him no.”

“Okay… well, what if it’s an emergency?”

“Don’t worry it’s fine, I want to spend my day with you, especially today.”

“Well okay.” —he takes a deep breath— “Did you guys already have plans today?”

“No, don’t worry.”

”… now that we’re talking about or whatever, I have a question,” Demetri says.

“Go ahead,” I say. 

“Okay. Uhm I’ve been wanting to talk about this sort of thing for a while. Do you like Nathaneal?”

“What? No,” I say.

“You don’t like him?”

“No, I don’t like him.”

“You sure?”

I take a deep breath before answering, “Yes”. Why would he think that? 

His eyes meet mine, no trace of that small smile I saw earlier. Instead, it’s that same facial expression he gave out when he found out his brother was in the hospital after he fell and fractured his ankle.

“Why?” I ask.

“Grace and Maya told me about how close you two are to each other. Whenever you guys hang out, you talk about him. And it’s not that part that I don’t like, they said that the way you talk about him is almost as if you like him, do you?”

“I don’t like him, Demetri, we are friends—”

“How am I supposed to believe you?” he says sounding annoyed.

I look at him blankly. I’m not sure what to say. Because you should. No, I don’t want to argue. It’s up to you if you want to believe it. No that will surely make him doubt me more. I break eye contact.

“Okay… that was all I needed,” He finally says. “I don’t want to be right but I’m not sure on what is true or not anymore. Look, I’m sorry but I need to think about things on my own. I’ll be leaving now, I’ll text you later but for now, it’s better if I just leave.” 

Demetri stands up but before he could start walking away, I grab his arm. I can feel the tears starting to form in my eyes. 

“I’m sorry.” That’s all I could get out before I sit back down. He stands there for one second and then just like that, without saying anything, he leaves. 

It’s 1 p.m. I put aside my dino stuffed animal and get out of bed. Mom will come into my room again soon and I don’t want to deal with her sourness so I’ll just leave before she does. 

After Demetri had left, I stayed there seated for about 5 minutes just staring at one of the paintings hung on the wall. Paying attention to every detail it had. It was a painting of a koala, Demetri’s favorite animal. It reminded me of the koala stuffed animal a few days ago. It was going to be a gift for him for today. 

Soonly, I left the cafe and decided to go home. At times, I would start to tear up while other times I just laughed at my own patheticness. I’m sure the people that noticed probably thought I was on something. 

Staying home all day would’ve been nice, except my mom makes it hard to want that. I’ve never been close to my mom before, not because I haven’t given it a try. She always seems to want to see me down. Once, I came home with a dress I had bought at the store. I was so excited to show, especially since I practically don’t own any dresses. As soon as she saw it, she started making comments about how it wasn’t going to fit me because “it is more for a girl with a body, you don’t have one”. I cried myself to sleep after that. Similarly, when I arrived home, she started to comment on the way my arms looked like. I went straight into my room and cried. I knew that staying locked up in my room was not going to do any good so I decided to just go for a walk anywhere. 

I grab my shoes from my shoe rack and slip them in without tying them. 

“Where do you think you’re going?” my mom says from the living room.

“I’m just going to take a walk.”

“Okay, I was just going to come to your to get you out of there so alright, bye.”

“Bye, mom.”

I walk out the door and make a turn to the left. I stop when I hear a sound coming from a bush. 

I think about just ignoring that and walking away but I decided to might as well stop and tie my shoes. Who knows, maybe the thing could come out all of a sudden and attack. A hospital wouldn’t be a bad way to spend the rest of the day, hah. 

“Lime, come here!” a voice calls out. 

A cat jumps out of the bush and runs to a girl standing in a driveway. It jumps into her arms and she holds it while laughing. I stand up and stare at their bonding. The girl is a short-haired brunette with glasses. She seems to be around my age and has this smile that can make anybody feel safe and comfortable. She’s wearing a grey t-shirt with some black cargo pants. 

“Oh hi, I didn’t see you there,” that girl says.

“Sorry to ruin the moment,” I respond and start to walk away.

“Wait, sorry for the randomness but you look familiar.”

“I live a few houses away from here,” I respond.

“Ohhh, now I remember. You’re that girl with the boyfriend. I see him often walking to your house I think.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, I’ve seen you two walking together and I have wanted to talk to you but I thought it would be weird.” —She starts to walk towards me— “I know this may sound weird since we barely met but, do you want to hang out?”

“Right now?” I ask.

“Well, I’m not really doing anything today, just playing with my cat, Lime, so sure.”

“I had plans with someone today but that probably won’t be happening and I want to get to know you.”

“I’ll take that as a yes,” she says with a smirk. “Come inside, don’t worry it’s just a regular home, no traps.”

“That’s really reassuring, I’ll be making myself at home.”

I follow her inside and decide to start getting familiar with the surroundings. The first things I see are the plants either standing on a desk or hanging from the ceiling. The walls were painted white with most of the furniture being black. Books were stacked on top of a cabinet.

“You can take a seat anywhere you’d like,” she says leaving the cat on top of a cat tree. “Oh wait wait, I’m so dumb I forgot to even introduce myself. I’m Eli.”

“Oh yeah, I’m Danie.”

“You followed me inside a house you’ve never been before and with not even knowing my anime either. Hah, I like that.”

“I didn’t think anything of it.”

“Well okay. Anyways, greetings and salutations,” she says extending her arm.

“Greetings and salutations to you too” I dab her up and sit on one of the couches.

“Wanna watch a movie?” she asks.

“Sure, I’ve been wanting to watch the new Spiderman movie, I heard it’s—”

“Let’s watch it then.” She grabs the TV remote and starts to put it on.

I was going to watch it with my boyfriend today but we got into somewhat an argument. Today was supposed to be a day for us to hang out. It’s our second year of being together, but he left me in the morning earlier. I just watched him leave and I haven’t even tried to communicate with him yet,” I say in the spur of the moment.

Eli turns to look at me, “oh I didn’t know that, I am not him but if I’m honest, I want to have the position he has in your life. I’ve formed somewhat of a crush a whole ago but don’t worry, I won’t do anything. I can offer you some company and maybe popcorn too though.”

“I’m up for that,” I say.

She ends up making some popcorn for us and we watch the movie. I decide to tell her about my relationship problems and she listens. At the end of the day, I decided that I’ll end things with Demetri and have more fun, just like I had today, with Eli.