Sing it Louder | Teen Ink

Sing it Louder

April 9, 2022
By Anonymous

Author's note:

This was hell to make

"Alright, take five, you guys." I walk over to the speaker with my water bottle on it. 

It's been hours since we started practicing and we haven't gotten any better. We NEED a bassist. I think to myself while drinking. 

"Hey, babe." Lucas walks over to me from the keyboard on the other side of the stage. He seemed kinda worried or pissed and I could tell he could hear what I heard. 

"Hi, I need you for something." 

He wasn't the manager of our band or anything, but I should still ask him before deciding, right? All boyfriends wanna hinder the growth of your group because he's selfish...right?

He hums in response but gives me his undivided attention.

"So..." I hesitate. "I know we've spoken on this already but... I was hoping we could put the bassist posters back up around the city?"

"But we sound good already." He grumbles under his breath. He's annoying sometimes.

"But we could sound better! We don't sound how we want to, we sound like children-" 

"No. That's my final answer." He starts to walk back to the stage. 

"LUCAS," I yell unintentionally loud. He whips his head around to me, then turns completely.  "You're being unreasonable and we can't afford to have you here with your sh*tty attitude! Remember, we're only gonna get paid IF WE PLAY WELL!"

I slap my hands together to exaggerate the importance of my words and it was true. "Alex said that if we can't get booked ONCE, we'll have to take a break until we get our sh*t together! And if you don't get your sh*t together, we'll kick you.  Period." I see Jenna and Thomas standing behind Lucas.

"Yeah, she's right." Jenna butts in.

"What, so you're gonna get your friends to gang up on me now?" Lucas asks all defensive, turning to see them. "So, what? So I don't want my girlfriend to be swooped by some hunk or hunk-ess now I'm the bad guy?"

It was true. The reason he didn't want anyone else in our group was that he was insecure. He thought -even though I reassured him all the time- that I'd let some rando dazzle me and I'd quote-unquote, "Drop his sorry ass."


Dylan was on the phone with his mom, "Yea mom, I know but we have like, ten more things to do before we head back."

"Babe, come on we gotta get going if we want to make it on time," I was trying to put the flowers in the trunk. Dylan and I work as florists for weddings.

"Ok honey I'll be there in a second, just let me finish this call. Mom I have to go we're gonna be late if I don't get off the phone. Bye." Dylan hangs up the phone and runs to the car."Sorry honey you know my mom, she's persistent.

"It's fine, just hurry up and get in the car we're already late." We get in the car and I drive us to the wedding. On the way, we listen to Shawn Mendez. "Robbie, can we please listen to something else?"

"Nope, I drive, I choose the music whether you like it or not." Dylan sighs and lays his head on the window and starts singing, "oh I've been shaking, I love it when you go crazy, you take all my inhibitions Baby there's nothing holding me back."

"Oh I thought you didn't like Shawn Mendes I thought you, and I quote 'hated his music'." Dylan rolled his eyes and continued singing.

Lucas

" so, what, you're gonna kick me out of the band without talking to Alex?" I'm super furious because Elizabeth is trying to kick me out of the band.

"She's right Luke, you've gotta chill. go sit outside for a sec and cool down don't come back in until you're completely calm" Thomas is standing there with Jenna, staring at me. "You know what? Fine screw you, you don't have to kick me out cause I quit." 

Elizabeth stands there with her hands on her hips staring at me. " What do you mean 'you quit'? You can't just quit we're in the middle of rehearsals, come on man, we need you. Plus I drove you here, what are you gonna do walk?" 

I sat there   ' She's right she did drive me here. But that doesn't mean that I can't just run home but I could just steal the car keys- but wait I can't drive whatever.' "Fine, I'll stay but only cause I can't drive." I look at Eliza and  mouth "Drive me home when we're done." She nods and we get back to rehearsing.

We finish rehearsing finally and Eliza says to Thomas and Jenna " Ok well I gotta drive this Dummy home. Bye guys. Come on Lucas."

 We get to the venue and Sarah is standing there waiting for us, looking nervous. "What took you guys so damn long I've been standing here for like thirty minutes, where have you been?" Robin looks concerned. "What's wrong, Sarah? You look stressed." Sarah looks at him with anger in her eyes. "Of course, I'm stressed, first of all, you're late. secondly, the groom hasn't shown up yet. And last OH YEAH  MY WEDDING IS IN 6 HOURS!" She sounded angry. "Whoa calm down I'll see what I can do. Robin, can you try to find josh please?" " You got it, Babe."W

We searched everywhere but I couldn't find him but then I hear Robin call my name. "What is it?" "I found him he's over here." He was sitting in the kitchen drunk as hell saying " I love you, Sarah, I want to marry you but, I'm scared" I called Sarah into the kitchen, and boy was she furious."WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU OUR WEDDING IS IN 6 HOURS" Robin tried to calm her down but it was no use she was too mad.

I storm out of Jenna's garage with Thomas tailing behind me. "Hey what's wrong?" Thomas looks very worried. "It's just, me and Lucas have been together for like, three years and he's always talking about how he doesn't want to lose me. And now he's over here breaking up with me just like that." 

I sit on the couch, while Thomas gets me a cup of water from the kitchen, "well, maybe he just needs to think it through for a little." Maybe he was right, maybe I should just give him some time. "Maybe you're right, maybe I should give him some time," Thomas sits next to me and puts his arm around me. 

"Hey, don't worry I'm sure he will come around soon, and if not then I and Jenna will always be here for you."

 I look up at him, "Thank you Thomas I  needed to hear that. "I lay my head on his shoulder and close my eyes for a second. I breathe in. 

"Ok let's go back in I'm ready." "Are you sure?" I nod my head, we head back into the garage," Come on Jenna I'm ready to continue," Jenna comes back inside and grabs her drumsticks. 

We're just about to start when I get a call. 

"Hold on guys, I gotta take this," It was from Robin.

"Hello?"  "Hey, Robin, what's up?"

 He starts talking fast. "Whoa, Robin, calm down. What is it?" 

I point my finger out to say one second.  Robin sounded worried, he was saying that the band for Sarah's wedding couldn't make it, so he was asking me if our band could play. 

"She's even willing to fly you over," Robin said, frantically.

"Sure Robin, but how would we get there on time?" Thomas looked worried and came over to see what was going on, 

"What's up?" I covered the mic. "The band for Lucas's older sister's wedding canceled and they need us to come and play."

"What? That's awesome, "He thinks for a second and his smile fades. "But wait, we're not ready for that big of a gig yet."

"I know but they need us for the party. We can't let them down"

Thomas looked unsure, then shakes his head, as if to shake away any negative thoughts.

"Ok, I trust you. If you say we're ready then we're ready, but how would we even get there?" 

"She said she'll get a private jet to fly us out there." 

"Oh, ok." He was excited to be in a private jet but he didn't express it verbally.

"Alright Robin, we'll do it." He thanked me and we hang up after saying bye. 

I look at Lucas with a frown on my face. "Hey Dummy, get up we got a gig."

He looked confused. "What do you mean?"

I feel myself smirk. "I mean that your sister's band canceled so we are gonna be playing her wedding. Which also means that you can't leave yet." 

He sighs. "Fine. but only this once no more after this"

I grab my microphone and Thomas's guitar and head for the door. "Let's go guys the jet is here to pick us up if we go fast enough we can make it to the wedding."


We finally get to the hotel when Sarah runs up and hugs me.

"Thank god you're here, the band canceled at the last second and I didn't know who else to call."

She looked so relieved that I was here, " Hey we got you sis, whatever you need we got you." 

We got our things set up on stage and started soundcheck. " So what's the deal with you and Eliza, Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge."

"Shut up, we broke up like a bit before Robin called. "

She looked at me with a frown on her face. "What happened, you guys were like the perfect couple? "

I stood there and stared at her for a good ten seconds, and then Eliza broke the silence. 

" Hey douche-bag let's go we got a show to put on." 

I signal her one second and she stared into my eyes like the demon she is and said,

" I SAID, COME ON."

" Coming dear, I gotta go," I run over to the stage before she kills me and stands at my keyboard.

" Alright guys, let's get going. Thomas Make sure your guitar is tuned. Liza, where is the Amp thingy?"

We finish up and start packing up when Sarah taps me on the shoulder.

"Hey, so um, Lucas told me that you guys broke up, what happened? You guys were so good together."

I take a deep breath and try to say calmly, "Well, he was getting all high strung over me finding a new bassist and so he said that he quits the band and... us." I take another breath and walk away. 

We get home when I finally remember that I have to get to work. I pull up and my boss is waiting for me at the door.

"You're late, where were you?" He crosses his arms and points inside, " Come on these shelves aren't gonna stock themselves."

 I walk inside put on my apron clock in and head to the back to get the boxes. 'rustle, rustle'

" Oh HELL NO" I hear a sound and grab a flashlight and bat and head over to where the sound came from. I hit something without turning on my flashlight.

"Ow F*ck what did you do that for"

I turn on my flashlight, "oh my god Thomas I am so sorry what are you doing here?" 

He stands up rubbing his head."I came to check on you, you seemed upset when you left so, here I am."

We go and get some ice out of the freezer in the break room.

"I am so sorry I didn't mean to hit you in the head."

"It's ok you didn't know it was me, trust me if I heard a strange sound in the dark I would've hit me too."

My shift is finally over so I and Thomas walk home,

" Come inside it's too cold for you to walk homestay until the morning I'll explain to Jenna why you were late ok?"

He nods his head and comes inside. " You can sleep in my room if you want, my mom isn't home so she won't mind I'll even sleep on the floor."

"No, you are not sleeping on the floor, you can sleep on the bed with me, we could put a couple of pillows in between us, so you won't be uncomfortable if that's ok with you."

I sit there raising an eyebrow then look up and smile, "No pillows also um *chuckle* I sleep in my underwear so you might have a little skin-to-skin contact."

We stare at each other walk closer and then we kiss. 

 I wake up on the floor and Thomas is sprawled out on the bed sleeping in his yellow duckie underwear.

*Chuckle* I try not to laugh but I can't hold it in.

"What you laughing at, Girl?"

I stop laughing and see that I woke him up and get up and run. He chases me across the house screaming:

"Get back here, you little-"

*DING DONG DING DONG*

I run to the door and put on my robe.

" Hey, Lucas. What are you doing here?"

I get out of bed get in the shower eat breakfast and then start Biking to her house.

*Ding Dong Ding Dong*.

She opens the door with her robe on,

"Hey, Lucas what are you doing here?"

She signals for me to come in."Hey, um I wanted to make sure y-"

"Hey Lizard who's at the door?" It was Thomas in his underwear. "Hey, Luke how are you doing?"

I sigh with a frown on my face. " Wow, really Liza, I thought *Sigh* never mind then. I guess you're just perfect so I'll be going bye."

I get on my bike and hit the bell before driving off, in the distance I see Eliza and Thomas go back inside.

*SLAM*. I slam the door and take off my shoes. " GOD WE BROKE UP JUST LAST NIGHT AND SHE'S ALREADY  WITH THOMAS, THOMAS FOR CRIST SAKE"

I kick the door and jump on my bed and scream into my pillow *AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH*

I go to the kitchen and get a beer from the fridge and sit on the couch I take my phone out of my pocket and check my messages. 

"Luke, it's Eliza please call me back when you get the chance we need to talk about what you saw at my house  please call me when you get the chance." 

" Hey Luke it's Thomas it's not what you think please don't take your anger out on Lizard. I went to check on her when she was at work yesterday and I walked her home she said it was too late to walk home so I stayed over and we kissed last night that's all." Is he serious 'we just kissed that's all'.

 I hang up the phone and walk over to Eliza "He still won't listen he's just angry."

"What happened last night all I remember is kissing you- which was a mistake right - and then the rest is blank like what happen-"

I kiss her on her forehead and hug her."Hush, little Lizard."

"So, what are we going to do about him, Tom?"

I sigh and run my fingers through my hair.

"I don't know lizard, but I gotta get to work, See you later Ok?" 

She stood there for a minute waving. "Bye Tommy."

 I start walking down the street and then realize 'My house is ten miles away so I walk back to her house.

*KNOCK KNOCK*

She opens the door and I wave. "Hey Liz, can you drive me home." 

We get in the car and she sits there. 

"I'm out of gas. Sh*t, where am I gonna get gas?"

I get out of the car and ask her to pop the thunk and pull out a gas can.

"I filled it up last night." She smiles and gets out of the car.

She hugs me, "Thanks, also sorry for waking you up this morning

We finish packing up the flowers and head to the shop. 

"So remember: you gotta drop me off at my mom's house and then go to see 'Liz and then meet me back at my Mom's house at five, ok?"

"Alright, I get it, quince', Liz, back to quince' at five, got it. Love you."

We get off the plane where my Mom is sitting there in my car waving.

" Hey honey come on let's go."

I look at Dylan like 'you betrayed me.'

"Oh yeah did I forget to tell you your mom is coming with us, so you visit Liz, drop your mom off at home, and then come get me, ok?"

I drive off and we head to Dylan's mom's house and drop him off. 

"We'll see you in a bit babe, see you later."

We wave and head to E's house‎.

We get there and see her hug Thomas and look at each other.

"Did you know about this? Wasn't she dating that Lucas kid?" Mom askes looking at me.

"No, I'm just as surprised as you, I thought she was with him too."

We drive up to the house just before she drives away.

"Hey, you! How are you don't leave just yet."

She turns around and waves but gets back in the car, "Hey Mom, Hey, Robin. Sorry, but Thomas is late for work and we need to fill the gas tank."

I wave at Thomas and Mom just stares at him like he's the devil's spawn. "You guys should get going before Mom kills you for hugging him, so, get back in the car and drive."

"You saw that?" She askes scared I nod. "It's not what you think me and Luke broke up, Thomas was comforting me  and we hugged, OK ?"

Mom really looked like she was gonna kill her now. "Liz, RUN."

She runs as fast as she can screaming "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Please Mom stop chasing me"

Thomas and I start laughing but we can easily tell that was a bad idea cause she started chasing us too.  

I get to my Mom's house and walk up to the door, Before I even knock she opens the door.

"Mijo come in, come in, How are you?"

I come in and she looks at my sister motioning for her to come over and I wave.

"Hey, Abby how are you kid? Long time no see. It's been a while."

She runs up and hugs me like she hasn't seen me in ten years -which she hasn't but you know- she starts crying.

"Hey D, it's been so long where have you been?"

I pull away and stare at her.

"Hey don't cry, I'm here now don't worry I'm not leaving for a long time ok?"

She nods and wipes her eyes and pulls me to the backyard where the party was taking place and introduced me to her friends.

"Dylan this is Scarlet, Alex, and Shawn. Guys this is my brother Dylan."

I waved but she was already pulling me away, " Dylan this is my boyfriend, Silas. Silas this is my brother."

"Wait B-B-Boyfriend?" Silas looked at me like I was crazy.

"Hey, Abby can I talk to you real quick?"

"Yea, sure. Hey Silas, give me one second I'll be right back don't go anywhere." She says to him as we walk off.

"What's up D,? What did you need to talk to me about?"

I walk a little slower, "Since when did you have a boyfriend? Last I checked you were still in kindergarten and you thought boys were and I quote 'icky'?"

She looked at me for a good second and then burst out laughing "What the hell Dylan? It's been ten years since you last saw me. Plus I was five and every five-year-old girl thinks boys are icky



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.