Mom, Devon and Me | Teen Ink

Mom, Devon and Me

By Camille Clausen BRONZE, Berkeley, California
Camille Clausen BRONZE, Berkeley, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

I looked around the abandoned parking lot, wondering where he was. I felt a cool breeze brush my face, and my hair getting tangled. I ran my hands through my hair to try and fix it. I looked down at my green tank top that was over my brand new short shorts. I looked around again, but nobody was there, not even a car. I looked back at the school building and saw the busy campus, it was so different.

I heard the noise of an engine coming closer, but I couldn't see a car in the distance. I kept looking around and later found the car that was slowly approaching. It made a turn into the parking lot and stopped right next to me. I opened the door and saw who I was looking for, it was him.

“Hey, I was wondering where you were, you're like ten minutes late,” I said while looking into his blue eyes, his smile was perfect. It could not help myself, I had to smile back.

“I'm so sorry about that,” He looked at the chair, and then back at me. I knew it was a sign for me to sit down. When I did I shut the door.

“I'm sorry Devon,” I apologized for being so mean, “You know I love you, and I don't mind you being late, I was just started worrying about you.”

Devon started driving out of the parking lot when I went to push the radio button. I rolled down my window until it was all the way down. I felt the warm breeze flowing through my hair, I looked back at Devon and saw him smiling. I just had to look at his face. The car started to slow, and Devon looked at me. We both sighed and leaned towards each other. I heard the door to my house open and quickly grabbed my backpack and opened the car door. I looked back at him, and felt sorry. We had been going out for 2 months and my mom still didn't approve of him.

“I'm sorry, you know my mom doesn't like you,” I looked at him and saw his blue eyes, “But don't worry, I'll talk to her tonight. Don't worry, I promise.”

“Okay, I trust you. I hope you tell them,” He turned on the engine and looked toward the back of the driveway, “I love you Jenna.”

“I love you too.” I said but I already knew that he couldn't hear me. I just wanted my mom to hear me say that, I was sick of them telling me that I couldn't see him anymore, and I just wanted them out of the picture.
[]

After I got in the house and set my stuff down my mother looked at me. I walked over to the table and opened my shut laptop. I knew my mom was going to start talking about parenting and how I shouldn't be dating him because he's this and his that.

“Honey, I thought I told you to stop seeing him,” She looked stern and mad, “I really meant it when I said that.”

“Ya mom, well when you say 'clean your room honey', I think you mean that. Yet I never do it. And I don't care mom, I'm almost eighteen, I'll be in 3 weeks, then I can do whatever I want,” I turned my back to her and started walking towards the stairs.

Once I got to my bedroom, I opened my window. The wind was still blowing like it had been when I was waiting at school. I squeezed through my window and onto the roof outside my bedroom window. I looked for Devon's car, but I couldn't find it. Maybe he had got really mad this time. I told him a lot of times that I would tell my mom, but this time I wasn't lying. I went back into my room and walked down the stairs and looked around for my mom. I walked to the living room where she usually was. I saw her sitting and facing the computer.

“Mom. Why are you on one of those stupid parenting sites again?” I knew the answer already, but I was hoping to get a different answer this time, “You know those stupid sites don't even work.”

“Honey, you are probably going though some pretty tough times, seeing as you don't want to break Devon's heart. We both know that you don't like him as much as you did when you started dating, let it go. He'll find someone else soon enough.”

I starred at her, my eyes were starting to burn, I didn't want to cry, I couldn't cry. Even trying not to cry, I couldn't stop. I broke out crying, I burst into tears, and all my mother did was look at me like she normally did. A fed up look of annoyance. I couldn't believe this, did she actually think I didn't like him.

“YOU DON'T GET IT DO YOU MOM,” I yelled while running up the stairs, “YOU NEVER GET ANYTHING”

I didn't care anymore, I was moving in with Devon in 3 weeks, I just hoped that the three weeks were going to go faster. I picked up my pink fuzzy phone that was sitting right smack in the middle of my bed.” I picked it up an dialed Devon's number.

Drinng DddrrriiingDddrrriiingDddrrriiing “Hello,” I heard Devon's voice, and I calmed down.

“Hi---I'm-I'm... I told her... But my mom doesn't think I love you any-Anymore, but I told her that I did,” I said between my sobs.

“Okay, okay, I know you love me more than you ever have,” He said very calmly, “But remember babe, you just have 3 more weeks until you can move into my apartment, then you can go to college at Boston.”

“I know, it's just that I can't take this place anymore. It's driving me insane and I just want to move in with you now,” I said hastily.

“Listen to me, you can't do that, you'll have your eighteenth birthday in exactly 3 weeks,” He said reassuringly, “June 3, and then you can move in with me. I promise, I already have a bed set for you.”

“Okay, D, I love you,” I smiled.

“I love you too babe, don't ever forget that,” He said while laughing. I could hear him laugh a little, and I smiled, I knew that he loved me, and I would never forget that.

I hung up the phone, and wiped my eyes with a tissue. I climbed out my window again. I looked around for some wire that my best friend and I had put up to connect our houses. I tugged the wire just a little bit, and then I heard some one talking.

“Yeah, I'll be right there Jenna,” I heard Maggie yell out her window.

“Okay, what's going on Maggie,” I yelled so that she could hear me.

“Nothing, everything is fine, but I have to go,” I could hear her crying, but I did not want to say anything.

“Bye,” I yelled as loud as I could, “See you tomorrow.”

Three years ago, I was sitting in my first class at Classic Fanhi High School. I was sitting at my desk staring at the ceiling when I heard a deep, caring voice. I looked towards the door and saw Devon. At this time I did not know who he was, but I do now. He took out a yellow paper and called a few names.

“Maggie,” He said, and I looked towards my right. I saw her, she was happy. We all knew that this paper got you out of class, “Elise, Laura, Lily, Jenna. And that's it, anybody who's name was called is supposed to wait by the principal's office for me.”

“Oh my god, Maggie, we get to skip,” We smiled and laughed, “We're so lucky.”

“I know,” She looked pretty happy, “Well we better pack up and get going.”

“Okay, let's go.”

The next thing I knew we were running towards the principal's office when I saw Devon. I stopped and pulled Maggie's arm. She knew why I had pulled her back, but she still gave me a weird questioning look. I stared at her and rolled my eyes. I sighed and looked at him, his dreamy blue eyes, his light brown hair, there was nothing wrong with him, and I knew it.

“Hi,” I said to Devon, not expecting him to respond.

“Hello,” It was that deep voice again, the one I seemed to love so much, “Well, you guys seem to be the first ones here, so just take a seat and we'll wait for the others.”

“Okay,” I said, “Well, were are we going?”

“That's a surprise,” He said, he seemed excited, “So who are you?”

“Oh me,” I was surprised that he was asking me, “Just a sophomore. My name's Jenna,and this is my best friend Maggie. Now it's your turn.”

“Okay,” He smiled and slouched against the wall, “My name is Devon, I go to Boston College, and it's my first year there.”

“Okay,” I started to hear footsteps and looked back, “Well, everybody else is here, so we might as well get ready.”

“Everybody, calm down,” He yelled with his deep voice, “I'm gonna need everybody to calm down, and be quiet. If you keep on talking I can send you back to class and you can stay for detention.”

“Okay sorry,” Almost all of the voices chimed harmoniously.

“Well Principal Folkneh will drive us to the zoo, where, we will help out by taking kids on tours and helping them learn their animals.”

“Cool,” I said intentionally to Maggie.

“Yes, umm Jenna is it, it will be cool,” Devon said sarcastically.

“I'm sorry, it won't happen again.”
[]

After we got back from the trip to the zoo, Devon came up to me.

“Hey, Jenna, do you wanna go out to dinner tomorrow, I'll pick you up at school?” Devon asked.

“I'll call,” I said while giving him my number, “Or you can call me.”

“Okay,” He said, but he seemed happy.

“Well,” I hesitated, and wasn't sure, “I might see you tomorrow, bye.”

I waved to him as he walked away. As soon as he was gone, Maggie looked at me and giggled. We were both so happy that I had found a boyfriend after the horrible, Jenson, guy I had last dated. We looked at each other, our eyes told the story, and we both walked back to our lockers to get our books and go back home. Once we had walked out the door of the school we both took out our phones, we each dialed our home numbers, and knew that our parents would be there to pick us up in a few minutes.

Just a few minutes later, both of our parents cars arrived at the door of the school. My mom in her Porch, and Maggie's dad in his Jaguar. We both looked at each other, hugged and walked to our cars. After I got in the car my mom asked me the normal after school questions, I looked at her and answered the way the parents want. All of a sudden a clear picture of Devon's face showed up in mind. I had to tell my mom about our date tomorrow.

“Hey, mom,” I wondered if she was listening, “There is this guy at school that asked me if I could go over to his house for dinner tomorrow, could I go?”

“Ya sure honey,” I knew she wasn't listening, “Just get back by ten o'clock tomorrow night.”

“Thanks mom,” I was happy that she wasn't listening.
[]

It was 6 weeks after my first date with Devon. We had gone out a few times after that, and we were now an “item”. I had another date with Devon this night, we were going to go to the movies. I woke up and looked around and thought about what to do. I looked at my closet, and decided to find an outfit to wear. I walked over and found nothing interesting. I found a cute shirt, but it was a school shirt that only went with my shorts, and I didn't want to wear shorts to dinner with him. I took out the shirt anyways and took out a pair of my really cute skinny jeans. I put them together, and they didn't look that bad. I put the outfit at the end of my bed and looked towards the window, maybe I should tell Maggie I thought. So I did, I went to the window and opened it. I pushed myself out the window and pulled on the silver wire.

“Jenna, is that you,” She said in a shaky voice, “Well, of course it is you, what was I thinking. Sorry.”

“It's okay Maggie,” I yelled so that she could hear me clearly, “Well, I don't know what to wear to my date with Devon tonight.”

“Oh my god,” Her voice was not as shaky, “This is what, like your eighth date or something. You guys have only been going out for like 6 weeks.”

“Ya, I know,” I was just so happy, “I love you Mags.”

[]

Now were back to the present.

“What happened to you, I know something is wrong. You can't hide it, you are going to tell me.”

“Maybe later,” She was trying to avoid the question, “My mom just called me and now I have to go and, umm, get ready for breakfast.”

“Ok,” I could almost see her face, “Just remember to tell me.”

“I will, don't worry,” She mumbled something after that, but I couldn't hear it.

I turned around and put my feet through the window. I wondered if she would ever tell me. She probably wouldn't ever tell me, but it was worth trying. I phoned Devon again.

“Hey Devon,” All I could hear was crackling on the other side, “Are you there?”

“Umm, ya,” He said, but I couldn't hear him that well, “Sorry, my phone line is all weird.”

“It's ok,” I wanted to tell him everything, “Devon, you know Maggie, well she's having some problems, but she isn't telling me. I think something might be really wrong with her.”

“Don't worry, she will eventually tell you because she is your best friend,” He was coming in clearer, “I would tell you everything.”

“But thats different. You're my boyfriend,” I said almost angrily, “You like, have to tell me everything, if you didn't, I would be so mad.”

“And I do tell you everything,” He was trying so hard to calm me down, but it wasn't working, “You have known her for ever, she will end up telling you but, just let her calm down and handle the news for a little bit. I promise you she will end up telling you. But I got to go, I have to study.”

“For what test?” He didn't tell me he had a test coming up, “If you told me you had a test I would have left you alone. Okay?”

“Next time I'll tell you if I have a test okay Jenna?” I knew he would end up forgetting.

I hung up the phone and sunk my head into my dark pink fuzzy pillow. It soothed my forming headache. I curled up and pulled the covers up to my chin. The tears ran down my cheek as I thought about everything that was happening. My best friend not telling me what was wrong. This was very different for me, it was all weird. She always told me what was with her, she told me everything. I wiped my cheek but the new tears kept rolling down. My covers kept me warm, the light pink sheets were wet at the top, but they would soon dry.

I got out of bed and sat at my desk. I called Devon again, I knew he did not want to be disturbed, but he had to talk to me, he could not ignore me. I'm his girlfriend. He loved me, I loved him, he knew I was having trouble.

“Hey, Devon, I'm sorry. I know you don't want to be disturbed, but,” After I started talking I felt tears come down my cheek, “I'm, so so so..... I'm sorry.”

“Hey, calm down Jenna. It's alright,” He sounded worried, I was worried, “I know I have a test, but you know I am always here for you. So what's on your mind?”

“Well, I was thinking,” I started crying even more, “What if Maggie is having family problems, what if... what if somebody died.”

I hated those words, but they needed to be said. I said them and I regretted it. He would talk to me and tell me not to worry and tell me to let her calm down.

“You know Jenna, just,” I knew it, it was coming he was going to give me the advice, “If you want her to tell you, go over to her house and ask her yourself. If she doesn't tell you, then she doesn't tell you.”

Wow, I was surprised he said that, he always said predictable stuff, but this time it was different. This time I admired his words, I understood and I would go with his plan.

“Thanks,” I was happy and the tears were slowing down, “ Sorry Dev, but this is some of your best advice, the other ones are just so-so.”

“Oh, thanks, that's just nice.” He was being so sarcastic.

“I love you, see you tomorrow,” I smiled and waited for those five words.

“I love you too Jenna,” There they were.

I laid the phone down in it fuzzy case and smiled. I was going to walk over to her myself. I sat up and got dressed. Once I was dressed I walked down the stairs and into the kitchen. The kitchen was big, it was enormous, but it was missing the homey touch. It was missing the cooking utensils. They were always hidden unlike in any other house. I went to the cabinet and pulled out a crunch bar. I unwrapped it as I walked out the door. I knew Maggie wouldn't mind if I came uninvited.

Once I got to her door, I realized that it was cracked open, somebody must have just walked out. I knocked anyways, I heard footsteps come close to the door, and then the door opened. It was Maggie's mom, Julia.

“Well hello Jenna,” Her mother was very welcoming, “We haven't seen you in such a long time.”

She hugged me and I smiled. I was happy that they were so welcoming, I was happy I was back. Julia looked over her shoulder and yelled for Maggie. She came almost immediately.

“Hey Mags,” It was her nickname that I gave her in third grade, “So, this may not be the best time, but, Mags, what's wrong?”

“I, umm. Why don't you come and sit at the table with me for a second. Okay?” She was hesitant in saying this, but I could realize that her mother was urging her to let me in. As soon as I sat down at the table they started whispering, something was definitely going on.

I looked at Maggie then to Julia, I did this a couple times, but I still didn't get their attention. I kept looking around the house and I was straining my neck to try and hear what they were saying.

“Umm,” I was shy, “Excuse me?”

“Oh, were sorry honey, we were just discussing the new events,” Her mother had almost forgotten that I was there, “Well honey, we've had a big family problem and were not sure when we are going to let it out. We know that you are Maggie's best friend but it is something very big. We're afraid that we will not be able to tell you anything more, but don't worry Jenna. Everything is going to be alright.”

“Okay,” So I was right, family problems, “Well then, I guess I'll just say bye to Maggie and I'll be off.”

As I was walking back home, I thought of all the possible tragedies that could have happened to Mag's family. I twirled my hair as a sudden gust of air blew a piece of paper into my face. I took it off and looked at it. It was about a lost cat, it was almost identical to Maggie's cat. Was this what they were all freaking out about? I hope not, Maggie loved Henry, her cat. She had had him since she was born. I just had to run back to her house and ask her. What if it made her cry even more, what it it made her mom cry? I stopped mid-step, and asked myself all these questions. I set my foot down and looked at my feet, then at Maggie's house door.

I turned on my heels and kept walking home. On my walk I kept thinking about what would have happened if I hadn't just walked home, if I had questioned her? And yet she was my best friend and how could I make her feel uncomfortable.

[]

I got home and went straight up to my room. Once I got up to my bedroom I thought of the things that had happened today. One, my best friend was hiding something really big from me, and two, my boyfriend had a “test.” What was going on, was my social life coming to and end? Was my new perfect boyfriend leaving me for a college girl? Am I really overreacting over something this small? Omg, I am, I need to relax. I called Devon again.

“Hey Dev,” I probably sounded nervous to him, “I'm sorry again.”

“Oh hey,” He replied quickly, “It's no problem Jenna.”

“Thanks,” I was slightly relieved, “But there is something we need to talk about, can we meet at 'our' park tonight. Ten o'clock?”

“Umm, sure but what about?” He questioned.

“I'm not really sure yet but we really need to talk.” And that was the truth, I didn't know what, yet, but we just needed time together.

“Okay then, I'll see you tonight,” He sounded almost questioning, “I love you, you know that right Jenna, I have and always will.”

“I will always love you too.” Then I hung the phone up. Our conversation was short but I thought it was good. I knew I was waiting for the three magic words. And I had heard them, which made me really happy.

[]

Once the clock hit nine fifty-nine I climbed through my window and out on the roof, and jumped, it wasn't that high. I ran to the park and I immediately saw Dev.

“Dev,” I scram as I ran toward him, “I miss you!”

“Hey,” He said as he caught me with his muscular arms, “I missed you too Jenna.”

“Can we sit down,” I pointed at the rock, “It's just that I ran here and I just want to rest when we talk.”

“You don't need to explain yourself to me,” He was so sweet, “I understand you Jenna.”

“Thanks,” I wasn't ready to start this conversation, “We need to talk. I know those might be the worst four words in the world but we do.”

“Okay Jenna,” He had a puzzled look on his face, “What is this all about? What are we going to talk about? Is there something...”

His hand started out on me knee, and moved up my thigh, but stopped mid-way. I smiled, a playful one, put my hand on his and leaned on his shoulder. I could tell his hand wanted something else, but that wasn't what I was hear to talk about.

“No,” I said, not really knowing what about, “That's not what I want to talk about Dev, I understand what you want, but not right now.”

“Okay, sorry, that was probably the wrong thing to do, I just don't want 'this' to end.”

“No, we're not breaking up,” I was even questioning myself, “Right?”

“I hope not Jenna,” He was unsure of the words coming out of his own mouth, “Right? We aren't breaking up, we've only been together for like six weeks. Jenna I love you.”

“I love you too, but do we need to take a break?” The words just flowed out of my mouth unknowingly.

“NO! Sorry I didn't mean to shout. Stay with me Jenna, I...I...love you. I know I've already said that but it is really truly true.”

“Okay,” I was sure that we didn't now, “I believe you Dev, I love you, like you can't believe. Can we just stay here tonight?”

“Whatever you want, my sweet sweet Jenna.” He said while caressing my cheek, “Let me go to my truck, I always bring a few blankets just in case I'm on a long trip, let me go get them.”

“Okay,” I said while getting up with him, “Can I come with you?”

He grabbed my hand and we started walking to his car. He got the blankets out of the trunk and smiled. He asked a question that I couldn't hear and then opened the car door. I then understood. I went in and sat down. I waited for Devon to get in the car and then pulled the blanket onto both of us. I carefully turned around and sat between Devon's legs. I leaned back and put my head on his left shoulder. As Devon pulled his arms around me, I finally understood that he truly did love me and that I truly loved him back. It started out by him kissing my head, which then slowly crept down to my neck when I suddenly turned my whole body around and put my legs around him. We both sat there for a minute while he looked me in the eyes asking if we could. I wasn't sure, I just let myself slump down onto his chest. I put my ear right at his heartbeat and listened to the sound. He looked down at me and made the same eyes. I looked right into his eyes and kissed him on his lips. He smiled and kissed me back even more.

“Dev,” I said while he kissed my neck, “You sure about this? Can we do this? Do you have...?”

“Mmm,” He said while still kissing me, “Yeah, mm, I love you so much.”

I kissed him back as he started pulling my shirt off. I helped him as he kept kissing me. As soon as my shirt had come off so did his.

The next thing I knew I was sleeping against Devon's chest and he was looking down at me. As I thought about the last night I felt happy that it had happened. Yet somewhere deep down I knew something had gone terribly terribly wrong. “Good morning sweetie,” Devon said while smiling, “Had a good night?” “Ya, I did,” I smiled, but yet I still had a question in my mind, “Did we, did we use, you know.” “About that sweet,” He was hesitant, I knew the answer, “No, but don't worry nothing went wrong. Are you okay you seem pretty out of it.” “No, ya, I'm okay” I was so frustrated, “Are you sure nothing happened?” “Yes,” He said with assurance, “Now, go back to sleep its still early, you need some more.” “Okay,” I yawned, “I'll, you know go back to...” I said while falling asleep. I put my head back on his shoulder and he started to stroke my hair. Once I had fell asleep I started to dream. I started to see shapes and figures which slowly turned into people, and cars. One of the cars was Devon's. I could see two people in it. Me and him? I saw the whole scene again. We hadn't had protection, and s***. This wasn't good. I woke up almost screaming but holding it in. I looked up at Devon, and he was already asleep again. I shifted my head up and kissed his lips. While I did that he kissed me back and opened his eyes to look at me. “I'm sorry,” I said, “Can you drive me home? You can come inside this time?” “Ya sure,” He looked stunned, “You probably want to sleep in your own bed don't you?” “Ya that's it,” I said not really knowing, “That's just exactly what I wanted.” He sat up and put my seat belt on for me and then got out of the car to get in his seat. He turned on the car and pulled out of the parking lot. As soon as we got to my house he hopped out and opened my door for me. He pulled me out of the car and carried me to the front steps. He set me down and started walking with me to the door. He gave me an uneasy look then I opened the door and walked in holding his hand. My mom was standing right there and just starred. “Where have you been young lady!” She yelled practically at the top of her lungs, “I have been looking all around for you. You are in serious trouble. You have almost no idea. And what are you doing with this man. Who is it?” “Mom,” I was so mad, “This is Devon. The only reason you don't know what he looks like is because you don't like him, so you don't let me take him here. You don't even get it because you never understand love. You and dad made me then you left him, because you didn't 'like' him.” “Let's go Devon,” I said while taking his hand. As I ran up the stairs with his hand in mine. As soon as I got up to my room I pulled him inside and locked the door behind us. I pulled him to my bed and laid down on the bed next to him. I let the tears run down my cheek and on to his chest. He brought his face down to mine and looked in my eyes. He wiped away my tears with his hand and kissed my cheek. I pulled him closer in a hug and closed my eyes. My room turned dark and I slept. As I slept I could feel Devon's arm's tighten around me. He pulled the covers over me, kissed my cheek and then got up. I held on to his arm as tight as I could. He fell back onto my bed and sighed. I woke up and smiled. “Were you really thinking of leaving?” I questioned him. “No, of course not,” He said, “It's just that I think your mom is coming up stairs and I don't think she wants to see me here in your bed.” “It's okay,” I reassured him, “She doesn't bite. She's just loud, really loud.” “Hmm,” He laughed a little bit, “Ya but I mean I think we should just be a little nicer because if you do want to come live with me, you still want to talk to your mom.” “I guess,” He was right, “You can sit at my desk and go on my computer.” “Okay,” He said while getting up, “I love you.” “Me too.” As soon as I had said that my mom came through the door. She looked mad yet unsure all at the same time. She looked at me then at Devon. Then back at me and sighed. She smiled and laid down next to me. “Hey Devon,” My mom asked him, “Do you mind waiting in the kitchen? It would be nice if you could stay for dinner.” I was shocked I looked at her as she looked at me and smiled. I smiled and waved him down the stairs. I blew him a kiss and he was gone. “Honey,” My mom's eyes got watery, “It's not that I have never felt love, it's that your dad broke my heart, he cheated on me, and I don't want that to happen to you.” She then full out cried and couldn't stop. I hugged her and calmed her down but I could still see her frustration. I wanted to tell her that it would be alright that I was there for her. Yet it had been more then seventeen years. How could I fix a heart that had been broken so long ago? The wound was open to big it would take the next thirty years to fix it. I was going to be dedicated though. I was going to do anything it took to help her get her broken heart back together. She leaned into me and I gently stroked her hair. Her tears slowly stopped and her eyes closed. I looked down at her and softly said “Mom,” She looked up at me, “I know your sad and it's gonna be tough to get better but, can you please make dinner? I'm starving and if you wouldn't mind I would like to have dinner alone with Devon. And Mom, You should watch a good movie. It'll help. I promise.” I wanted to use some humor, because whenever I joke around my mom always feels a little better. “Oh, yeah. I forgot about that,” She looked quite surprised. “Dinner is in the fridge, it's ready.” “Thanks Mom,” I felt so bad for her, “Mom, I want you to know that I always loved you and that you're amazing. Even if I was yelling at you, I loved you.” [] I called him back into the kitchen as my mom slowly walked up the stairs. She had her hands in her back pockets as she silently weeped. I started to regret my decision of leaving her alone to watch a movie. I knew that she wouldn't want to hear the conversation that I was going to have with Devon so it was probably good that I had sent her upstairs. As I was thinking to myself I had forgotten that I had called Devon into the room and he had walked up behind me and given me a giant hug. I loved that Devon could make me forget about life and just think about the moment, but today, he wasn't doing that to me. I had a lot on my mind and I wanted to know about what had happened because, for some reason, I didn't remember anything about it. “Hey Devon, can you grab some plates from the cabinet,” I asked, “Because the dinner is in the fridge and I can't reach.” “Ya,” Devon said so calmly, “It's no problem. You seem pretty upset with something, I can help you know, just let me know whats on your mind.” “Well we can talk about it when we sit down for dinner.” “Here's the plates sweetie.” Devon said as he spun me around and gave me a kiss. I tried to resist but I just couldn't. I looked at his face and I knew right away that he meant no harm, but meant to rejoice me. So I kissed him back and hugged him as hard as I could. He didn't notice all of my force because he was so muscular. As I backed away to get the dinner out of the fridge. He took the plates over to the sofa, as I brought dinner. My mom had made a caesar salad, with crispy chicken, Devon's favorite, but she didn't know that. I looked across the sofa as he sat at the other end. I thought about everything that had recently happened. Not sure of what to think but I knew that I loved him and that we would get through anything, and it would probably make us stronger.