Gift or Guidance | Teen Ink

Gift or Guidance

By Friggi PLATINUM, Manassas, Virginia
Friggi PLATINUM, Manassas, Virginia

Giving up is not weakness it means you are strong and brave enough to let it all go

The smell of gasoline, perfume, cologne, cigars, and rain waft through New York City. A young designer walks out of her studio while talking on her cell phone.
“What do you mean I inherited twenty seven acres and an old cabin up in the mountains?” “Well Miss. Cludge your uncle did say in his will that the property was supposed to go into your custody” “But my uncle has three daughters, and he barely knows me why am I supposed to get it?” “Miss. Cludge we don’t know any of that information on the contract it says it is supposed to go to you, and it says he hasn’t got any children” “Who are you talking about I only have one uncle and he has three daughters” “We are speaking about Mr. Andrew Cludge, your first uncle on your dad’s side of your family” “Oh I never even met my dad and my mother both died supposedly four weeks after I was born and I never met my uncle on his side of the family” “so when can you come sign the papers?” “A.S.A.P” “OK” Miss. Cludge drives home quietly in her little Bug Convertible with nothing but the mystery land in the mountains tugging at her mind.

Five Days Later

“Aggie I need my ball gown design by next week” “Okay I brought my laptop so I’ll send it to you in a day or two I just need to finish the skirt hem” “Ok but finish fast” “Yes Ma’am”
The little blue bug convertible winds its way up the mountains and then back down. Aggie Cludge can’t get the thought of her uncle who didn’t even know her inheriting her land. After two days of driving all day and most of the night Aggie finds her destination at least three hours from even a small town. The cottage is cute it has: blue shudders against a antique looking brick structure, window boxes under each of the four pained windows made from thin but sturdy glass, a tin roof that looks like it is from the civil war era but didn’t appear to have a single leak, and the front door is engraved with a family tree even including her mom and Aggie. There is a little garden with some over grown roses climbing over an old iron gate leading into a family grave yard. Curiously Aggie walks into the graveyard to read the names of her far of family who once lived in the cottage, and in the corner there is a stone that was chiseled in beautiful designs and says “Love as constant as love can be angels watching over thee” the stone didn’t have a name to tell anything about the pretty poem, so Aggie walks back to her car and starts to unpack. She walks inside and finds a light switch that turns on two small lights and that’s all.

After unpacking she decides to go for a walk around the property. She finds a stream and a lovely little swing hanging from a willow tree over the water. The swing was made from a circular piece of wood with a rope going through the center and then there was a knot at the end. Part of the land was fields of wild flowers and some of it was over grown pine trees and forest. As she walked farther into the land she for some reason felt safe, secure, steady, sure and like part of her heart was buried in that very soil, but she did not know that half of her heart really was buried in those mountains.

For supper she sat down at the old pine table and ate a sandwich she had bought down in town and drank some bottled water. The sky outside begins to darken and a strong wind starts to rise. The shudders clang against the brick walls.
Aggie suddenly jumps in surprise; someone is banging at the door. Aggie slowly walks over and opens the door outside there is a little girl who looks as frightened as a rabbit surrounded by panthers. The girl runs in and clings to Aggies knees as if she didn’t have something to cling to she would just fall through space. A young man walks up to Aggie (who is half inside and half outside) and picks up the girl and calms her to quietness. Quietly the man nods to the house and asks if she is the new owner. When she nods, they all walk inside and get to know each other; Aggie also learns some history about her family and the mountains.

The man is Aggies knew neighbor and the little girl is an orphan who he has been raising since she was only a few months old. The man’s name is Bo and he has nick named the girl Darcy ever since he found her. Aggie picks up the little girl who didn’t seem to be older than three years old, and as she picked her up closeness and a loving feeling swept over her. The child looked amazingly similar to Aggie: high cheek bones, bright green eyes, and hair the color of a red and golden Autumn leaf, except this little girl had something different about her a look in her eye like a fairy would, free and spirit like.

Aggie put the little girl on the chair next to her and walked to the little wood stove and boiled some water in the little kettle that had been left for her and then put some cheep tea bags she had bought with her to warm up a cold night, in the kettle to steep. After getting the tea ready and steeping she went up to the loft were there was a queen sized bed with a pile of quilts on it, and carried one down stairs. By the time she got back down stairs Darcy was sound asleep curled up on the chair, and holding her little hand close to her chest like she was holding her hand. Aggie quietly walked into the kitchen and got out two mugs and a little cup then she poured tea into the two mugs and put some in the cup and then added some ice from in the tiny refrigerator that looked like it was one hundred and fifty but still worked. Aggie carefully picked up the three beverages and carried into were Bo and Darcy are, she hands Bo a mug and carefully put the other mug and cup on the table. Then she sits down and gently picks up Darcy from on the chair and quietly rocks her back and forth.

After a long and empty silence Aggie finally asks Bo “Are you somehow in my family?”

Bo sits there like he has just been asked the trickiest question in the world and after a long and empty silence he shakes his head and then says “ in a way but you don’t yet know it my parents are the sun and moon and I am not a human I am a spirit and I sweep through the trees and float through the forest I ripple with the stream I am part of the land” Almost immediately Aggie seamed to understand though it sounded weird it sounded possible Bo was not a being he was part of the world.

That night Bo left late and told Aggie that Darcy may as well sleep over since she was already asleep and there was no danger in it. So after Bo had left to go back to his house Aggie walked over to the chair where Darcy had been curled up, only to find Darcy was gone!!! Aggie ran outside and stared around her and yelled Bo’s name but Bo had gone he was part of the world and he could drift through it and he had drifted away. Aggie walked around the house and saw Darcy sitting by the corner grave stone with her little hands holding on to the words and her eyes full of tears but obviously though Darcy could not read she knew those words and she knew the person lying below but then again so did Aggie and suddenly Aggie understood something she didn’t know what but she knew this child she held in her arms was more than a child she was a connection between Aggie and her families past but only the Sun and the moon knew why. Aggie sat there for a while with Darcy wrapped in her arms and tears running down her face. After a few minutes Aggie carried Darcy back into the cabin and carried her up stairs and set her down in the old rocking chair in the corner of the room, then Aggie got a towel from the kitchen down stairs and got it damp then she went upstairs to wipe of Darcy’s face.

That night Aggie laid awake with Darcy asleep in her arms for over three hours, thinking about what had happened earlier and who’s grave that was with the poem that seemed to touch her heart and why it was a connection to the other orphan Darcy. Rain was pouring down on the roof when Darcy woke up and wanted Aggie to come on a walk with her. Since Aggie wasn’t asleep anyways she let Darcy guide her outside and she could barely breathe as Darcy’s feet quietly lifted off the ground and as Darcy glided upwards Aggie could feel her own feet take off as she became weightlessly floating upon air. Bo somehow appeared in front of them and motioned them forward towards a tree that seemed to have a house built into it.

More is coming!

The wind blew Aggies long hair in wisps’ around her, as Bo, Darcy and her all carefully set foot on a branch and walked into the house above the ground. Bo asked Aggie to sit down while he told her about the poem from on the grave for he had seen her and Darcy by the grave stone earlier. He explained that “the grave was of the sun and the moon but in the humanly shape of Aggies parents, But the sun and moon had a total of three graves as six different humans and that they had three children who had been born to the humans that they were in, there different forms and that two of the three were destined to each other and that the last was to be as their child. So the poem meant that the sun and the moon were the angels watching over their three children as in the word thee.” Aggie slowly nodded her head and then after thinking about it she said “if you’re one and I’m one plus Darcy then we are to be a family even though really we are brother and sisters?” He shook his head and said” No we are brother and sisters from the sun and moon but not humanly.” Aggie nodded her head and understood but couldn’t except that she was super natural, the child of the sun and moon and that she was destined to Bo and that could not change.
After Aggie and Bo had, had a long talk they walked out onto the limb and like a feather and like she could just will herself to fly she lifted of the branch. Her feet landed lightly on the step outside her cabin and she quietly walked in she went up to the loft and changed into her night dress and then walked back down stairs to think for a little bit. After about an hour of sitting on the sofa and drinking tea Aggie walked up stairs and laid down on her bed and stairs at the ceiling thinking.
At about four in the morning Aggie felt herself being lifted but she didn’t mind she felt strong arms around her lift her into the night sky after flying higher into the air Bo held up her head with one strong hand and whispered into her ear, waking her up in the process. She looked at Bo and pictured him holding her it was a simple picture: his simple clothes, his honey colored hair blowing softly, her night dress in the wind, her hair in wisps’ around their faces, their eyes fixed on each other and their hands holding on to one each others. He stared at her and looked as if he was reading something, something that was written in her eyes like writing on paper. Slowly she relaxed and let Bo hold her completely. Aggies mind seemed to spin and her eyes seemed to be seeing only Bo and she didn’t even have to breathe because she was not human she was a spirit and spirits don’t have to breathe. Bo’s eyes were still fixed on her and she gently brushed his hair away from around his eyes and carefully hugged him but at the same time she didn’t make him completely hold her she willed herself to float a little bit. He positioned her upon the air so a breeze held her so she didn’t have to think and told her to float there for a minutes while he went to get Darcy. About five seconds later Bo floated back with Darcy held carefully in his arms. Aggie held onto one of Darcy’s hands and so did Bo then Bo and Aggie held each others, other hand. As the three floated upward towards the full moon all their heads shot up as stars began to appear the moon seemed to smile and the sun began to rise in the sky. The light from the sun and the moon together shone down on the three with joined and united hands and at that moment they soared higher and higher in to the wind to were nothing could stop them and hate was a four letter meaningless word that only humans use. They continued to fly higher and higher until they were high above in the clouds then Bo gently put a foot down and all three of them stepped upon the clouds and walked upon the rainbows. Aggie held onto Bo as Darcy slid down rainbows bounced on the clouds and floated upon the breeze. Then Bo put Aggie down and she could barely breathe as she realized she was absolutely weightless. Bo walked towards a cloud that seemed to be hollow and have a room inside of it, after Bo opened the door he went back to where Aggie stood and guided her in and then he called for Darcy to follow. The palace in the clouds was magnificent it had floors of rainbows and ceilings of snow that never fell, drawings and illustrations hung on the walls showing the lives of all three of the sun and moons children, the door was like ice engraved with carvings, but the room was so warm and so cozy to be in it made Aggie calm for the first time in a long time. Bo walked over to the paintings and traced the edges as if they were from a long lost memory, Aggies eyes gazed at Bo so lovingly while she watched tears burst from his eyes. Aggie ran over to Bo and held him so tight and whispered “Love as constant as love can be angels watching over thee” Bo turned and smiled for the first time while they had been there. Darcy also was gazing at a picture of herself, not too long ago a baby lying on the ground wrapped in blankets, left on a door step. Aggie looked up and to her amazement even a painting of herself covered the wall she gazed at the truth and honesty, her not believing this was who she really was, her hiding from herself, and her never remembering her parents and that pain she had felt s a child. Aggie felt like screaming she wanted to hurt those humans who never were her parents, who left her on her own, who didn’t care and those who seemed like they didn’t love her, but aggie knew the truth that who she really was a loved and cherished earthly spirit who had a true love and who was a work from the earth and who could become the world if she wanted or she could go anywhere she wanted in less than a second. Darcy looked like an angel looking to god as she looked at those pictures, like she was reading the words that weren’t written there at all. After the three had all looked at the walls the center of the room began to glow and Aggie, Bo and Darcy joined hands once more in the center of the room and they were flown back to Aggies cabin.

Bo put Darcy on the chair in Aggies living room and then half-flew half-walked upstairs he gently began telling Aggie a story: “Once there was the sun and once there was the moon, the moon is not just a rock it is also a spirits name and same with the sun. And they had three children in the shape of three humans who are supposed to help save the world from disaster. So they formed a boy-Bo a girl-Aggie and a child-Darcy.” After explaining that about three times Bo sat down on Aggies bed and cradled her face in his huge hands and kissed her cheek, willingly and steadily and then moves back to study her face. Her expression was of all: love, strength, will, fright, curiosity and enhancing faith and belief. She quietly leans her head on his chest and positions herself in his lap, carefully so he didn’t have to hold her to much, yet so his lap still cradled her. His arms felt like she was a little child trying to bury herself, because they held her so softly and gentle but also strong and protective and something in his eyes told her he loved the moment and loved holding her. They sat for a while before Aggie fell asleep, after she was sound asleep Bo stood up carefully as if he was holding something fragile as fragile can be, he gently lay her down under the covers and tenderly tucked them warmly around her, and then gently kissed her cheek.
“Aggie, Aggie wake up sleeping beauty” Aggie knew who it was and knew that if she rolled over and said no that Bo would understand, and would leave her alone for another thirty minutes, but truthfully Aggie wanted to get up and go flying around with Bo. Lazily and somewhat dazedly Aggie rolled out of bed and went into take a shower. When Aggie came down stairs Bo had already cooked breakfast and Darcy was already half done eating pancakes (and covering herself in syrup and butter). He winked at her and smiled, trying to get her to laugh and wake up a little, which worked perfectly. Aggie walked in front of Bo towards the fridge, and to her disbelief his arms grabbed her waist and pulled her closer to his body, she felt herself drift into heaven as his lips pressed against hers. She smiled at him and then nudged him in the side playfully, only to get her arm pulled on, forcing her right back in front of him, this time he gently kissed her forehead and then let her go to the fridge to get some milk. Aggie knew that Bo and herself where destined to each other and that no matter what they would always be for each other, but still feeling his arms around her waist and him holding her gently but forcefully against him, felt weird: refreshing, sweet, strong and most importantly it felt right it felt like she was complete when Bo held her and that’s all she really wanted.
That night was the one night that truly united Aggie and Bo, as Aggie took her shower and got dressed in her soft, light cotton night gown, Bo did the same at the house in the clouds. Bo waited quietly outside of Aggies window until her clock struck twelve and then he gently crawled through the window and swiftly floated towards her bed. He kissed her sweetly, waking her up in the process and as she woke up he gracefully slid his arms beneath her and lifted her up slowly. He carried her far up through stars and comets and sweetly cradled her in his arms as his feet barely stepped on to a star.
Aggie was now completely awake now and she laughed as Bo reassured her being awake, with a reassuring kiss on the lips. About five feet away stood a man that shone with a dark light and a lady that shone with bright light colors. The man highly resembled Bo, and the lady looked exactly like Aggie and Darcy. Aggies breath fluttered as she realized that the two beings who were standing right in front of her face where the sun and the moon. The lady gracefully stretched out her hand towards Aggie and automatically Aggie took it at the same time, Bo and the man joined hands. The feeling that filled the air was not of love or understanding it was a connection it was a belonging, and this is where Aggie belonged with Bo, Darcy and her destiny. The night was long it was spent by the sun and moon teaching Aggie about her abilities and what she could do as a spirit.
Aggie and Bo flew back to the house in the clouds at around five in the morning, picked up Darcy and then flew to the cabin.
Aggie woke up back in her bed entangled with a sound asleep Bo half holding her half on her. Aggie quietly walked down the steps and picked Darcy up from the chair that she must have fell asleep on, and cradled her on her lap and sang to her the only lullaby she new.
Child I hold right here tonight sleep in dreamless wonders bright
Sleeping tightly sleep tight
Until suns good morning light
I wish for you your dreams be bright
By the moons loving light
And you in sleeply slumber all through the night
Aggie did not notice at first but Darcy was glowing and so was she, they where shining with the glowing color of love a strong stream of gold flowed between them. Aggie put Darcy back on the chair and the gold light stopped. Aggie then carried Darcy upstairs to lay with Bo and then she went back down stairs to cook breakfast.
The scent of pancakes and sausage soon wafted up to the loft and woke up Bo and Darcy to a beautiful sunny day. Aggie carefully helped Darcy set the table and then they all sat down to breakfast. After Darcy was finished she got up and flew outside.
Bo cleaned the dishes with a wave of his hand and then swooped Aggie up and carried her upstairs as he placed her on the bed he started kissing her and then he slowly pushed Aggie under him on the bed. Five minutes later they both where staring at one another, realizing they loved each other more than they knew. And for the rest of the day they stayed together and, when alone they showed their love merely by kissing all the time.
Night came and Aggie got ready for bed. The bed in the loft was soft and warm and inviting until she realized Bo was sound asleep in the middle, when she got out of the bathroom, in her night gown. Gently she pushed Bo over crawled in bed, and gently turned to kiss him to find him kissing her back. His lips seared hers and where strong and inviting. And his arms eneveolped her powerfully, kissing her with passion and grace. Aggie found herself held tightly in a make out session before they fell asleep holding each other.

This book has 1 comment.

MeganLaChance SILVER, Wells, Maine

To be yourself in a world filled with people who want to change you is the worlds greatest accomplishment.

This is so cute, a fantasy that went the best way possible, as if heaven became their world.