The Fairest of Them All | Teen Ink

The Fairest of Them All

By Lilliputian GOLD, Anacortes, Washington
Lilliputian GOLD, Anacortes, Washington

"If you want to fool the world, tell the truth." -A Friend

Everyone lives an unoriginal life. It's merely a fact of the universe up there with gravity, planetary movements, and unicorns. Well, perhaps not unicorns, but for the sake of the Unicorn Union not suing the author of this book for being discriminant towards unicorns, we're going to add unicorns onto the list of universal truths, which, while we're at it, includes other things such as chocolate and Oprah. And if that sounded like a run-on sentence, it probably was, in which case, a sincere apology to English instructors everywhere.

Moving on…

It's difficult to live an original life when you're destined to be a specific fairytale character and your story was painstakingly written down on sheep's stomach centuries ago by slightly blind monks who had no lives, therefore they had time to write on sheep stomach about princes and princesses and really ugly goblin like creatures that have terrible dental plans and no sense of hygiene whatsoever. That's a problem [especially the hygiene, but we're not going to get into that. Goblin hygiene is a book in itself].

The problem is, every citizen in this magical realm is destined to live the life of a fairytale character who lived and died a few centuries ago. Ten centuries to be exact, or one millennium if you prefer. And the fairytale character they are destined to be is directly related to who their great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandmother/father/goblin was. Which means Cinderella's descendants are always going to put up with bratty step-siblings who look like trolls and he/she is going to have to put up with some uncomfortable footwear at some point in life. Belle's kids are going to end up dating some really unsavory and sketchy characters who will later turning into real winners. And Snow White's kids are going to be chilling in a frat house with seven dudes.

Yes, we're modernized. Just because everyone in this fairytale land is stuck repeating the same old story their ancestors did, doesn't mean we haven't made some slight adjustments to keep up with the times. See: frat houses and beer pong. But that's another story.

Q: What about the unfortunate individuals who aren't descended from fairytale characters and therefore don't have their entire life written out for them?

A: There are none. We don't have any. This fairytale kingdom is fresh out of characters we like to call 'Storyless'. Well, alright, we do sorta-kinda-not-really-in-a-sense-ifyoucloseoneeyeandsquintrealhard have a Storyless character. But just one, so don't call go calling exterminators or anything like that because there is no infestation and she's not bothering anyone.

And that is what this story is all about.

[ps. this is the only real funny chapter and it's not even a chapter. but we swear the story is worth reading.]

Sincerely,
The Staff

"Things could be worse Ella."

"How could things be worse?"

"I could have a step-mother like yours."

"Katherine Hunt!"

Petite and possibly even adorable Ella threw her shoe at not so petite and adorable Katherine, who dodged the oncoming piece of footwear with the skill of well, someone used to having shoes thrown at that.

"Now Ella, I thought your shoe was supposed to fall off and then the prince returned it. I don't recall your fairytale saying anything about throwing shoes." She smirked proudly at her friend before returning the pink shoe that could quickly turn into a murder weapon. Ella snatched it away and glared.

"Really Katherine, if spent the time you do on other people's stories trying to find your own, you'd of found it by now." Katherine, the perfect contrast to her blonde, blue eyed friend, dropped onto the leaf covered ground and sighed to the heavens.

"I don't have a story, which is a fact we have covered many, many times. I know, I've kept count." Ella passed a hand through Katherine's dark locks, giving up after a moment seeing how it was a tangled mass that seemed to go on forever.

"Really Katherine, are you ever going to brush your hair? You'd be so pretty with it done nicely." Katherine, in response, rose from her bed of fall leaves and grinned at Ella.

"But then I'd be prettier than you and you'd never get your prince." She quickly kissed her friend before dashing away into the forest as Ella yelled after her. The fact Katherine Hunt could disappear so easily into the forest had always disturbed Ella, who was not at all brave enough to enter into the deep forest. Her little town of Charmant, quaintly existing in a clearing in the forest was more than enough for her. There was no need, in her opinion, to go exploring outside of it. Katherine, on the other hand, grew impossibly restless when confined to the city limits. If Ella didn't know any better, she would have said Katherine grew up in the woods as a wild ruffian exploring the country every day for a thousand years. Her knowledge of the woods was far too unnatural, especially for a lady.

•§•

"Han, Greta, what are you two doing out here?" The young children, impish and impossibly fair, jumped at the sound of Katherine's voice as she leant against a large oak tree that was missing a few branches courtesy of the storm a week ago.

"We were just, um…" Han stuttered, looking to his twin sister to help him out. Neither were very creative, which Katherine thought was a shame since it was her opinion that children should all be wildly imaginative and creative.

"Just avoid old ladies and their ovens and I won't tell you mother I saw you out here," she said, giving the children her best stern look. They instantly swore to avoid hags and kitchens before dashing off towards the part of the forest closer to Charmant. Katherine laughed. Who names a town 'Charming?' She found that ironic seeing how the town was anything but charming. Nightmarish would have been more appropriate in her humble opinion, not that anyone asked her opinion. She was just the odd, Storyless girl who worked in a book shop and obsessed over other people's stories. And that description there made it sound as though she had no life. Which she really didn't.

•§•

"You're lost." The gentleman with the dark hair and dazzling brown eyes smiled politely at Katherine before looking down at the map in his hands.

"I suppose the map was a give away, yeah?" She smiled sympathetically.

"Pretty much. I mean, this town isn't all that big. I'm actually surprised we even have a map. So where are you headed? Perhaps I can point you in the right direction Mr…?"

"Knight," he said, offering her his hand which she took, "Edward Knight. I'm actually on my way to Castle a Lock."

"And you ended up in Charmant? You're more lost than I thought." He blushed.

"Yes, well, directions have never been my forte. The Miller told me to take a right-"

"And that's your problem right there. If a man is willing to exploit his only daughter in order to make a lot of money, you know that's not a man worth trusting. Come on, the way out of this hell hole isn't far from my house. I'll take you."

The two walked in amicable silence, Katherine pointing out the occasional interesting feature of Charmant and Edward Knight politely acknowledging it.

"So you're a knight," she finally said and Edward quickly nodded, producing his membership card that identified him as a third rank K.I.S.A [Knight in Shining Armor].

"So what princess are you supposed to marry?" He flushed, a particularly deep shade of scarlet this time and Katherine snorted.

"That bad, eh?"

"Oh no!" he said, mortified, "I just, um, there's… third rankers don't get their princess assigned to them until they complete a heroic deed." The majority of fairytale guilds and the way they chose to operate had always amused Katherine, who thought it was rather ridiculous that a knight had to complete a heroic deed before being assigned a princess, who would assign him three other heroic deeds before she agreed to marry him. But then again, as a Storyless girl, Katherine imagined her habit of questioning everything and finding it all ridiculous was to be expected.

"Well, who are you hoping to get? I picture you as a Rose Red kind of person, maybe even Snow White." Edward laughed then.

"Snow White? That is the worst compliment you could ever pay someone. You do realize she doesn't have an descendants? The chances of that were completely ruined when she killed her only daughter."

"She didn't kill her," Katherine snapped and Edward halted in their walk.

"You know this how?" She sighed and kicked the ground.

"I don't. Not for certain. But I think it's ridiculous that because there is no mention of what happened to Snow White's daughter, people instantly assume she killed her. Honestly, what mother kills her own daughter?"

"The Vain Queen tried to kill Snow White."

"There is a difference between a mother and step-mother. Step-mothers are from the devil. Especially Vain Queen ones. And I should know, I'm the daughter of one." At this, Edward paled significantly and stared at Katherine as though she were a ghost.

"You're Storyless," he finally said, reaching the conclusion most people made about Katherine the moment they met her. After all, she didn't look like any fairytale characters and being the daughter of a Huntsman and the Vain Queen didn't sit with any story anyone had ever heard… ever.

"Damn proud," she said, "I'd hate to married off to some prince just because my ancestor had that happen to her. Besides, I think being Storyless allows me a better personality and more freedom. So you see, there are perks to going against the grain." She winked at him playfully before they continued their walking.

"So what are you planning to do with your life?" he asked. Katherine shrugged before pointing to the bookstore she worked in.

"Working there until I die. Or until the mayor of the town decides I'm a nuisance and exiles me to the forest. In which case, maybe one of the wolves will be kind enough to eat me." She grinned at him. "Joking. About the bookstore." He caught the teasing sparkle in her eye and laughed along with her. They came to a halt before a black house with wrought iron fencing and a dilapidated porch.

"Home sweet home," she said, "You're way out of here is that road up there to your right. Stay on there until you get to the Carriage Way, which will take you straight to Castle a Lock." Edward took Katherine's hand in his and kissed it.

"You know," he said, "You could always come with me. I'm sure Castle a Lock would be much more entertaining for a Storyless person than staying in Charmant, no matter how charming it is."

"Are you serious?"

"Well yes, it is a very charming town."

"No, I meant the part about me going with you. Did you mean that?" Edward contemplated for a moment, taking in Katherine's wide, excited green eyes and her wild black hair. There was a possibility of a lady being hidden somewhere beneath all that dirt and men's clothing.

"Yes, I meant it. But you'd have to brush your hair and wear a dress." Katherine's eyes narrowed for a moment before she thrust her hand into his and gave it a sharp shake.

"Deal."

•§•

"Absolutely not."

"But mom, I'm perfectly legal. You let Adam go tromping about the countryside."

"There is a difference, young lady. Adam sticks to the country; he doesn't enter the city. He's also a Huntsman. And a man. So the answer is still no."

"Oh please. Where do you think heroines come from, huh? Do you think they sit at home all day in quaint little towns that they never leave?"

"This town is not quaint, it is charming."

"Mom, you cannot describe a town called Charmant as charming. It's like a double negative canceling out or something like that, except in this case it's a double charming."

"You're still not going."

"Even if I take Tundra with me and promise to bring back a trunk load of gorgeous dresses and a fiancé for Adam?"

And that is how Katherine ended up traveling to Castle a Lock with Edward, her wolf Tundra, and a list of requirements her brother's future fiancé must meet. Not that she planned on every coming back.

"Sweetheart, could you come downstairs? There's a present here for you." Katherine, a slightly rumpled mass of ebony curls and grass stained clothing, tumbled down the stairs at the sound of her mother's voice and arrived, flushed and even more rumpled than before, at the feet of squat, elderly man with a full white beard and twinkle in his blue eyes.

"Hey Doc!" she said, jumping to her feet and giving the dwarf a hug. As of today, she was nine years old and officially a quarter of an inch taller than him.

"Hello and happy birthday. Grumpy has a present for you." She turned and smiled at the other six dwarves who were all standing in her mother's kitchen, save, of course, for sleepy who was so exhausted he was resting in a rather uncomfortable looking chair. The poor thing.

"What's my present?" she asked, skipping over to the black beard dwarf with hazel eyes. She would never say it, but Grumpy was her favorite of the seven dwarves. He thrust a squirming, wriggling burlap sack into her arms and she settled, crossed legged, on the floor right there and undid the drawstring. What burst forth was a fluffy, squirming white body that she soon identified as a wolf pup.

"A wolf, Grumpy? She's nine." Clearly her mother hadn't known what the present was beforehand, as she was now admonishing Grumpy.

"Snow, it'll be good for her," Doc reasoned, "She'll learn responsibility while she cares for it and in return, it'll protect her when she's older. You won't have to worry quite so much about her gallivanting around in the forest."

"I don't gallivant," she objected from the floor, "I explore." The dwarves exchanged knowing smiles except for Sleepy who was asleep, Grumpy for never smiled, and Dopey who was more entertained with the burlap sack than anything else.

"Can I keep him mom, please?" Snow White, aptly known as the fairest of them all, stared down at her daughter and the wriggling ball of fur now content in her arms.

"Well, you'll have to name him first." She beamed.

"Tundra," she said, "I'm going to call him Tundra."

"Put your dog on a leash," Edward said, tossing Katherine a thick black cord that she was apparently supposed to attach to Tundra by means she wasn't certain on.

"He is not a dog, he is a wolf. And he doesn't need a leash."

"Castle a Lock rules. All dogs need leashes."

"Not a dog. Hence the rule is null and void." Edward glared at Katherine. She stuck her tongue out at him.

"Fine. But if you get in trouble, I'm not helping you."

"Please, like I need help from a knight." Times like these, Edward wished he was a second ranker so he could carry a sword. But then again, traveling with Katherine and a sword was not the best combination he could think of.

"I can hear your murderous thoughts," she teased before rushing past him and into the heart of the city… where she quickly had the thought that this was the biggest mistake of her life and how in the world did you fit so many people into one place?

"It's really something, isn't it?" Edward asked, gesturing to the gleaming white castle that rose out of the city. Katherine felt her eyes water as the noonday sun made the castle almost burn with brightness.

"My retinas are burning," she declared, throwing her arm dramatically over her eyes and reaching for Edward with her other one.

"Lead me, oh brave knight. Consider this your heroic deed." She peeked from behind her arm. "I'll even vouch for you." He took her hand as she continued to shield her eyes and led her away from the crowded city center.

"I think getting you here alone counts as a heroic deed," he muttered under his breath. The hand he was holding quickly smacked him in the head before latching onto his shoulder.

"I heard that." He considered rolling his eyes, but was convinced Katherine would somehow see that. So he curbed all retorts and settled on leading Katherine safely through the city to their destination, a place he was hopeful she would like.

•§•

"Mr. Fox's Book Shop?" she said skeptically, observing the sign and the old shop it was attached to. Edward nodded and opened the glass door, a stereotypical gold bell jingling as he did so. Her eye twitched skeptically as she entered a shop that had not been dusted since the original fairytale characters [aptly named The Originals] were running about causing mayhem and suffering from love at first sight. A white tip swished behind the counter before a white faced fox emerged dressed in a smart looking waistcoat complete with pocket watch and cherry wood buttons.

"Mr. Fox," Edward said, stepping forward and shaking hands with the rather posh looking forest animal. Katherine was aware there were talking animals in the world, but she had never had the privilege of meeting one before.

"This is Katherine Hunt," he said, gesturing that Katherine should shake hands with the red fur ball her size. Instead, she dropped to her knees before him and smiled.

"Nice to meet you Mr. Fox. You should hire a maid. All the dust can't be healthy." Mr. Fox chuckled, a curious sound to come from a fox and the action revealed a row of short and extremely sharp teeth. He quickly snapped his mouth shut when he noticed Katherine staring.

"It's no problem," she said, "I've actually got a wolf of mine hanging outside. Is it alright if I bring him in?" Mr. Fox nodded and Katherine quickly disappeared to retrieve Tundra who warily entered the shop and growled the minute he laid eyes on Mr. Fox.

"Oh hush up you mongrel," the red vulpine snapped, "Use your words if you want to insult me." Katherine looked between Mr. Fox and Tundra, her eyes almost falling from their sockets when Tundra muttered what she could have sworn was an apology.

"You talk?" Mr. Fox snorted in disgust.

"Every animal talks, Miss Hunt. Most prefer not to or lack the sophistication to. Your lupine friend here is of the latter preference." Tundra growled and this time Katherine silenced him with a flick to the nose.

"I'm with Mr. Fox on this one. Use your words or don't say anything at all." She paused at her curious choice in words, but decided correcting the statement would only make her look like a fool and for reasons she could not explain, she did not want to look the fool in front of Mr. Fox.

"Now Miss Katherine," Mr. Fox said, pulling a pair of spectacles from his pocket and placing them on the bride of his very long snout, "Mr. Knight here was polite enough to bring you to my store where I am very willing to offer you a job and the apartment above should you accept. Do you accept?" Katherine eyes took in the shop, the lupine, the vulpine, the nervous man twitching by the counter, and the vibrant city outside the windows.

"Decide quickly, Miss Katherine, time is of the essence." What could it hurt to stay in Castle a Lock? She didn't have any plans to return to Charmant.

"I accept."

The earth moved.

•§•

"What was that?" Katherine sputtered as Edward helped her to her feet. The floor was littered with books dislodged from their shelves, but Mr. Fox seemed to pay no mind to them as he opened the door of the shop. Bells could be heard chiming throughout the city and he casually stood in the threshold before shutting the door and returning his attention to Katherine.

"That, my dear, was an earthquake triggered by the dear Prince Charming waking up. He's been asleep for the past thousand years and can now take the thrown. I'm sure the Steward's family will be pleased to know they no longer have to watch over a comatose patient." Katherine's mouth can slightly unhinged and Mr. Fox, who had jumped onto the stool beside her, closed it with a delicate hand.

"Don't worry my dear, you'll adjust soon enough. Just keep in mind that rumors and gossip are the life water in this kingdom and I am the greatest source of information. So should you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them."

"Why has the prince been asleep for so long?" she said before her brain could catch up with her mouth. Mr. Fox smiled, his canines shining in the light.

"Help me clean up. When we find the correct book, I'll let you know." Katherine quickly agreed and Edward offered to lock Tundra in the apartment above before leaving. Mr. Fox declared that unnecessary and quickly shooed Edward away. Katherine barely paid the vulpine any mind as she set about cleaning a store that really hadn't been clean since the time of the Originals. Since the time of the now awakened Prince Charming.

•§•

"So you're the Storyless girl," the young man said, stepping closer to Katherine as she busied herself with cleaning the store. He made to grab her arm, but both Mr. Fox and Tundra barked at him before he could. Alarmed at the number of wild animals present, the man quickly ran from the store as though being chased by a wolf. And had Katherine allowed it, he would have.

"Mr. Fox," she said, "Does everyone in Castle a Lock know I'm Storyless? They all act like it's such a novelty."

"Well it is, my dear," he said, cleaning his spectacles, "And I did inform you on your first day that everyone is a horrible gossip. Why, I imagine everyone in the kingdom knew you were Storyless before you even left Charmant." Now that was an effective gossip system. She wondered how the local tabloids got an edge on the locals.

"I wish people would forget about it," she said, returning a book to its proper place. Since her arrival in Castle a Lock and Mr. Fox's Book Shop, she had rearranged his inventory creating a much more organized system.

"Don't wish that, my dear. Being Storyless can be a wonderful thing, you know."

"How?"

"You get to do what no one else can: whatever you damn well please." She smiled at that. No one could deny there was a certain freedom that came with being Storyless. But at the same time, one was left without purpose.

"Tundra, slow down!" She raced through the forest after the white wolf who had rapidly grown from a cuddly pup to a sleek wolf. An extremely fast wolf.

"Tundra! Oh." She skidded to a halt as she burst into a clearing and found Tundra licking the remains of a treat from the hands of a peculiar looking man. His eyes were an eerie amber color and when a shard of sunlight tore through the canopy, she could have sworn she saw him sparkle.

"I'm, I'm sorry," she said, moving closer and calling Tundra to her side, but the wolf refused to leave the man's side. He smiled, revealing a row of crooked teeth, before bowing to her.

"Not a worry, m'dear. Tundra here just wanted a treat." Wary, she took a step backwards towards the tree line knowing she could disappear into the forest if need be. Tundra didn't sense a threat of danger and proceeded to curl up at the feet of the man.

"Now now, don't be frightened m'dear. My name is Rumpelstiltskin and knowing names is my job. Would you like to know yours?"

"I already know mine, thank you," she said, still moving towards the woods behind her. Rumpelstiltskin smiled.

"Then how about this," he said, "I tell you the name of your prince, and you tell me your name in exchange. Sound fair?"

"My prince?"

"Yes, your prince. You are, are you not, the daughter of Snow White? Which does, does it not, make you a princess? And what princess doesn't have a prince?" Her eyes flickered down to Tundra who seemed to be fighting the decision to stay with the man or return to his mistress. With a sharp snap of her fingers, the wolf came loping over to her side. She felt reassured having him closer.

"What's his name?" She asked and Rumpelstiltskin laughed.

"You must agree to the deal, m'dear. A Stiltskin never gives without receiving something in return. Agree, and I'll tell you his name."

"I agree." The sparkling man with amber eyes grinned showing his crooked teeth again.

"James." He whispered and for a moment, the forest seemed to tremble and she felt a bit delirious. Tundra began to growl.

"I must go," she said and quickly turned and too the final steps into the woods.

"Young lady! You forgot your part of the deal." She turned and tossed her name over her shoulder before dashing away deep into the forest where no one could follow her. Rumpelstiltskin tried it out, rolling the name across his tongue.

"Katherine."

"So you're the Storyless girl." Katherine groaned. After two weeks in Castle a Lock she would have imagined her novelty would have worn off. But no. Everyone still thought she was a shiny new toy they just had to find out more about. The upside was a steady stream of customers were coming into the shop benefiting Mr. Fox and thus benefiting Katherine.

"I kind of expected more." Katherine turned to see the latest inquisitor and was surprised. Flaming red hair with a thick black streaks and multiple piercings in either ear and an outfit made almost entirely out of fishnet material. Clearly, this was a fairytale character pushing the limits.

"Red Riding Hood?" she asked, having had a very distinct image of what a Hood would look like and this wasn't remotely close. She had pictured auburn hair, a sweet smile, and the traditional red cape. Not a lip piercing.

"Scarlet Hood," the woman offered, gesturing for her friend to join them. Now this one was more stereotypical fairytale princess with sweet curls and wide brown eyes. She smiled sweetly at Katherine and even curtsied.

"Beauty," Katherine guessed and the princess giggled. It sounded like bells. Katherine was right.

"I'm Katherine," she said, shaking hands with both fairytale characters who were polite, albeit a little quiet. "So what's the inquisition today?"

"Actually," Beauty said, "We were wondering if we could take you to the fair. It would be a great way to see some of the sights."

"That is an excellent idea," Mr. Fox supplied, emerging from the back room and nodding politely at Beauty and Scarlet who responded with a similar gesture.

"Go on Miss Katherine," he encouraged, "You've certainly earned a break." Beauty wasted no time in linking arms with Katherine and leading her from the shop, Scarlet and Tundra following close behind.

•§•

"Is the wolf yours?" Scarlet asked as they meandered through the fair. Tundra rubbed his head against her leg and she smiled down at him.

"Yes. His name is Tundra. Looks like he's taken a shining to you." Scarlet smiled and scratched his ears, Tundra pressing himself against her side until she almost fell over. A dashing knight caught her.

"Ah Edward, rescuing the damsels are we?" Katherine teased before embracing the third rank knight. He bowed to Scarlet and Beauty, who batted her overly long lashes at him and smiled. His cheeks turned a soft pink and Katherine resisted the urge to roll her eyes. Scarlet, on the other hand, had no such restraints.

"Edward Knight, this is Scarlet Hood and Beauty. Ladies, this is the dashing knight who brought me to Castle a Lock." They exchanged pleasantries and Edward was quick to join their party. A stop was made briefly for Scarlet to purchase a wolf charm and for Edward to purchase flowers for Beauty.

•§•

"So is there anyone in Castle a Lock I should avoid?" Katherine asked later that evening as Beauty and Scarlet escorted her back to Mr. Fox's shop.

"Well," Scarlet said, but was interrupted as a man stepped into their path. Katherine back peddled and collided with Beauty, who gasped and ducked behind Scarlet. The man grinned, yellowed and crooked teeth protruding from white gums His skin glistened in the dim light of the streetlamp and Katherine was startled by the strange green color. It looked as though he were rotting away.

"Rumpelstiltskin, at your service," he said, bowing and placing a kiss on her hand, which she quickly snatched away. He continued to smile, his amber eyes twinkling with mischief.

"I heard Scarlet here telling you I was an unsavory being and I though, why not introduce myself? Castle a Lock is such a small kingdom, there's no reason we shouldn't know each other. Your name?"

"Don't tell him," Scarlet warned, "Everyone wants a favor out of him, but his demands are too high. Once he knows your name he'll know exactly how to tempt you." Katherine examined Scarlet carefully wondering just how Rumpelstiltskin had tempted her.

"Now really Scar," he feigned hurt, "I really thought we were better friends than that."

"We're not friends," she snapped, "Now get out of my way or I'll alert the kingdom guards that you're here." His eyes flashed with malice and he bared his teeth in a way that Katherine could only describe as feral.

"You won't," he said, "you wouldn't risk breaking our deal." Scarlet visibly paled.

"Please go," Katherine asked, resting a gentle hand on his shoulder and pushing him to the side. She pulled Scarlet and Beauty away, urging them to hurry down the street.

"You never told me your name!" he cried after her. She glanced over her shoulder and let it fall from her lips.

"Katherine." He liked how familiar it sounded coming from her.

•§•

"Mr. Stiltskin," Mr. Fox said the next morning. Katherine looked up from the book keeping to see a well dressed Rumpelstiltskin standing in the middle of the shopping looking directly at her. With his hair brushed and held back with a black ribbon, his pointed ears and tinted skin was made more visible, which in turn showed that he was not shimmering, but rather sparkling. It also revealed his amber eyes more clearly and with his black and green suit pressed stiff, he looked like a well dressed corpse.

"Mr. Fox," he said politely nodding to the vulpine who was wearing a dark gold waistcoat with ruby buttons at Katherine's suggestion.

"I'm surprised Miss Katherine is working for you," he continued, "Isn't this what you did back in Charmant m'dear?" Katherine paled and Mr. Fox intervened, placing his delicate body between her and Rumpelstiltskin.

"Now sir," he said, "You know I have no objections to you coming into my store. But if you harass my employee, I will have to ask you to leave." The goblin man bowed in apology and smiled at Katherine who gripped a letter opener beneath the counter. She would stab him if need be.

"Katherine dear, do let go of that letter opener, you'll hurt your hand. I simply wished to stop by and welcome you to the community. It's such a rare treat to have the fairest of them all among us."

"I'm not a Snow White," she responded automatically, having grown accustomed to the occasional theories that she was, in fact, a descendent of the legendary raven haired princess who vanished without a trace.

"I'm Storyless," she said, "You should know that. There's nothing special about me."

"On the contrary, m'dear, you are very extraordinary."

"But I'm not Snow White."

"I know. And for that I'm extremely thankful." She set the letter opener on the counter for him to see. Mr. Fox believed in having it as sharp as possible.

"Good day, Mr. Stiltskin." He bowed.

"Good day, Miss Katherine."

•§•

"Mr. Fox, why don't you head home, I'll close the shop tonight." He sighed wearily and folded his spectacles back into his pocket. Katherine watched as the aged fox climbed down from his stool and pulled on his coat and hat.

"Is there anything I may do for you, Miss Katherine?" She paused, mulling over what she would like to ask him. There were so many questions swirling in her head and the answers were not to be found in any of the books Mr. Fox kept on the shelves.

"What really happened to Snow White? The books say her prince rescued her, so why doesn't she have any descendants." Mr. Fox set his hat on the counter and gestured for her to join him on one of the lower benches. He pulled a book out from behind the counter and flipped open to a very worn page with Snow White's name scrawled across the top.

"Her prince did come for her, my dear. And for a time they did live happily ever after. But after he died, the throne went to his brother whose wife did not like Snow White. And who would? Who would willing submit themselves to being in the company of the fairest of them all?"

"Did they kill her?"

"Of course not. They drove her from the kingdom and without any protection, Snow White was an easy target for the Vain Queen who still wanted her heart. And because Snow White was hunted, so was her daughter."

"And yet Snow White has no descendants." Mr. Fox nodded and flipped the page, revealing an illustration of a cottage with seven short men standing before it. The Seven Dwarves.

"Rumor has it that she found a way to live eternally in the forest with her seven little dwarves and she is very much happy. As for her daughter, most assume she died as a child."

"But that's all rumor," Katherine argued, "What are the facts?"

"Simple put, my dear, there are none. Snow White is the only character in the history of the world to have an incomplete story. Much like yourself." He set the book in her lap and returned his hat to his head before wishing Katherine goodnight and leaving the shop. She spent the remainder of the evening on the bench reading Snow White's story again and again in the hopes she would discovered what had happened to the fairest of them all and more importantly, what fate befell her daughter.

Tundra's sharp bark tried to alert her, but Katherine was too late to avoid the monstrous black beast that camping to a sudden halt before her and reared up, depositing its' rider on the leaf covered ground below. Katherine ducked out of the way as the horse continued to charge through the forest. A grumbling and slight cursing brought her attention back to the rider. Tundra was a few steps ahead of her, already growling and snapping at the man who was cautiously trying to stand.

"Could you call off your wolf? I think he wants to kill me."

"Could you have called off your horse?" she retorted, "For he nearly killed me as well." The man pinched that bridge of his nose and sighed.

"Then it appears we are at a stalemate. But if it is any consolation, I am sorry I didn't see you and I hope you were not injured."

"I wasn't," she said and then, "Tundra. Come here." The wolf gave a final growl at the man before returning to his mistress' side. The man breathed a sigh of relief before straightening to his full height.

"Don't get too comfortable," she said, "Tundra will attack with the slightest provocation." The man nodded in understanding.

"Then could tell me how to get out of these damned woods before your mongrel attacks?"

"Mongrel?" she said, "Well aren't you charming. I suppose you're a prince as well. Prince Charming. That's a bit perfect, don't you think?"

"I am a prince," he said, "But my name is not Charming. It's-"

"I don't care. Charming suits you." The men stepped forward, limping slightly, before his leg buckled beneath him. On reflex, Katherine stepped forward and caught him, holding him steady until he regained his balance. Only then did they notice the close proximity between them and each quickly stepped backwards.

"The fairest of them all," he said with a smile. Katherine shook her head.

"I'm not Snow White. Hardly."

"I disagree. You are by far the most beautiful woman I have ever met."

"You clearly haven't met my mother."

"Your mother?" Katherine bit her tongue.

"How about we get you out of the forest, yeah? It'll be dark soon and all the ugly trolls, goblins, and ogres come out them." The prince frowned.

"Ogres?"

"Yes, you know, ogres. Big, ugly, scary. About as charming as you, so I'm sure you'll get along perfectly." She couldn't resist grinning as his eyes narrowed.

"I told you, I have a name."

"And I still don't care what it is. So lets make tracks, Prince Charming. It would be a shame if someone as pretty as you was turned into ogre stew."

He followed the rumpled and unkept girl with the pet wolf deeper into the forest and thought briefly that perhaps she was leading him to the ogres that would turn him into stew. But the mere thought of ogres didn't strike fear into his heart, he was a prince after all. A prince this girl had called charming and then compared to an ogre. What stories he would tell about this day. And certainly he was right in believing her to be Snow White for surely there was no other raven haired princess in the kingdom as fair as the one before him. Or perhaps she wasn't a princess at all. After all, what sort of princess lives in the forest running about in the muck with a vicious wolf as a companion?

"You aren't leading me to the ogres, are you?" he asked and watched her tangled mass of dark girls tremble as she shook with laughter.

"No, but the thought had crossed my mind." She dared to look over her shoulder at him and caught him smiling at her. One would have to be dead or immune to physical beauty to not notice his sparkling blue eyes or sun bleached hair. Truly, a prime example of what a prince should be, at least physically.

"Are you a good prince?" she asked, slowing until they were walking in stride.

"Define good." She shook her head and helped him over a fallen tree. He hadn't complained about his leg although she knew it must pain him.

"You tell me," she said. He gave a moments thought before responding.

"Just. A servant to others. Merciful and honest. Good would be the willingness to lay down your life to protect another."

"So," she asked again, "Are you a good prince?"

"I hope to be," he said, "But I'm afraid I still have some work to do."

"That right there tells me you are a good prince. As if I would expect anything less from Prince Charming." He stopped and smiled down at her, shaking his head as she shrugged.

"I told you-"

"You have a name," she finished for him, "I remember. And if you remember, I still don't care what it is." She reached around him and held aside a wall of vines that opened up onto a carriage route.

"Follow the road east and you'll get back to your palace before nightfall." He nodded in gratitude and stepped out onto the dusty trail, looking to the east and seeing the spires of his castle rising up in the distance.

"Charming?" He turned around to see her, almost fluttering at the border of the forest and the road. The border of his world and hers.

"If you ever get lost in the forest," she said, "I'll find you."

"Is that a promise?" She smiled and as quickly as she had appeared before him, she let the vines fall back into place and vanished from sight. Dusk began to fall around him and knowing he could waste no more time, he began to limp towards home.

His horse returned to him shortly before he reached the castle gate. He had a feeling the girl with the wolf had been responsible for that.

No. That is the word Katherine repeated again and again despite Beauty's insistence she say yes. Even Scarlet was agreeing with the docile princess, something Katherine had noticed in their short time together was an extreme rarity. Mr. Fox was even joining the ranks against her.

"For the last time, Beauty, I am not going to the ball with you. Take Scarlet. Maybe she'll meet her Huntsman." The Hood in question raised a perfectly arched brow and dared her to repeat herself.

"Huntsmen don't go to balls," she said, "Therefore, neither does a Hood. And Beauty can't go by herself so therefore, you must go with her."

"Doesn't she have any other friends?" Beauty quieted at that and for a moment, Katherine thought she may have offended her.

"Well, yes," she said, "But I'm worried if I bring Elizabeth, the prince will fall in love with her instead." Katherine sent a curse into the heavens for throwing her in with a lot of princesses.

"Let me guess, Elizabeth likes to be called Elle." Beauty nodded. Great. Another Cinderella.

"So you're not brave enough to go to a ball by yourself, which is why you want me to go. But you also want me to go because you're afraid that if you go with any other fairytale princess, the prince will fall in love with them and not you. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Cinderella the one who goes to the ball and gets the prince while Beauty has to put up with a real beast of a guy?" Beauty's lower lip jutted out as she began to pout, her doe eyes begin to water.

"Well I heard this new prince has quite the temper," she said, "And I thought maybe, just maybe, he would be beastly enough for my story. You see, I'm horribly not brave and couldn't possibly be in the same room as a real beast, let alone fall in love with one." Oh the dilemmas of being a descendant of the Original Beauty. If you were scared of anything, there was no happy ending for you. Katherine couldn't help but pity the girl.

"And I suppose I'm a safe choice since I don't get the prince," she said and Beauty nodded excitedly before remembering just why Katherine didn't get the prince.

"Oh Kathy, I didn't mean it that way."

"It's okay. This way I get to go to a party, eat free food, and be the weird Storyless girl who can do whatever she wants because she has no ancestors to insult."

"Is that your way of saying yes?"

"On the condition you find me a dress because I do not have one. At least not one suited for a ball." Beauty squealed in delight and before Katherine could blink a ball gown had been stuffed into her arms. Her eyes widened at Scarlet who shrugged.

"Parents tried to force me into the whole debutante thing a few years ago. Didn't work out, but the dress was nice."

"Thanks Scarlet." The Hood brushed it off as nothing, which it was. Her excitement towards ball gowns was nothing compared to Beauty's, or that of any other princess.

"Now go get dressed, we need to leave very soon," Beauty said, "Mr. Fox, could you make sure she brushes her hair?" The vulpine smiled.

"Of course." Katherine knew right then and there she was going to hack her hair off.

•§•

"Stop complaining, you act as though you're being tortured."

"Do you have any idea how painful it is to have your hair brushed?"

"It wouldn't hurt so much if you did it on a regular basis."

"Thank you mother, I'll be sure to remember that." He tugged sharply with the comb causing Katherine to yelp. What should have taken a normal person ten minutes was taking Mr. Fox a good forty-five minutes.

"There," he said, "All done." And with that, he dropped the comb into her lap and produced a pearl diadem from his waistcoat. Exactly how he did that, she didn't know, and she was pretty sure she didn't want to.

"You may not be a princess," he said, "But the least we can do is make you look like one." He placed the diadem atop her mass of ebony locks that had been tamed into loose waves that cascaded down her back, contrasting with the dove grey dress Scarlet and loaned her.

"Look in the mirror," he instructed and Katherine stood, taking in her appearance with intense shock.

"I look…"

"You look beautiful. The fairest of them all." She turned to face him.

"I'm not Snow White, no matter what anyone says." Mr. Fox patted her hand before handing her her gloves.

"I never said you were. But that doesn't mean you can't be the most beautiful thing this kingdom has ever seen."

•§•

"Oh Katherine, you look beautiful," Beauty said as she stood impatiently on the steps of the castle. Her gown was a pale gold and sparkled in the light of the torches left to light the way. Around them, scores of beautiful women in gowns ranging from plain to garish were milling about and entering the palace, no doubt hoping to win the affection of a certain prince.

"Why the celebration?" she asked and Beauty led her inside. The petite girl shrugged her shoulder, smiling at a passing couple.

"Apparently it's his birthday. He's just woken up from a thousand year sleep, so why not have a grand celebration?" Katherine's face fell and Beauty, despite all her nervous excitement, noticed.

"Kathy, is something wrong?"

"I was invited to a birthday celebration once. I never went though."

"Why not silly?"

"I… I'm not sure. It was so long ago, I may be imagining it." They laughed at the ridiculousness of it all and entered the ballroom accompanied by a crowd of lavishly dressed ladies and gentlemen who were all smiles and happiness as though nothing in the world had ever gone wrong or ever would go wrong. Katherine, for her part, wished she could believe like them.

"Are you lost again?" a voice taunted from above him where an oak spread its limbs far and wide, "Some Prince Charming you are." He waited patiently until a cloaked body dropped from the branches and landed before him. She casually tossed her hood back and revealed the familiar black hair and sparkling green eyes that had captivated him the moment he saw her and had haunted him since then.

"If it's any consolation," he said, "This time it was intentional."

"So you were looking for me?" He nodded and then casually looked around in search of Tundra.

"No wolf today?"

"Couldn't risk him eating you. That would be bad, don't you think?"

"Very bad." The lapsed into silence, Charming joining her as she sat on the roots of the tree that had protruded from the earth.

"So why were you looking for me?"

"I wanted to invite you to a celebration. My birthday celebration, actually." She shook her head and picked at the hem of her cloak.

"I don't go into the city," she said, "I actually don't leave the forest in general."

"But why not? The city isn't unsafe."

"I know, I know, but my mother. I can't disobey my mother." Charming nodded.

"I understand. Well, I should be going then. The party is tonight and I'm sure someone is already looking for me." He mounted his horse and waited for his wolf girl to point the way out of the forest. She pointed north.

"Go straight. Follow the stream until you reach the Miller's house. His lane will lead you to the main road." He nodded in gratitude and turned his horse in that direction. He didn't get very far before she called after him.

"Charming?" Once again, he turned back to see her standing, almost wavering on some invisible edge. "I'll go next time," she promised and he smiled.

"James," he said. Her brows furrowed and she cocked her head to the side. He clarified.

"My name is James. Now you can stop calling me Charming."

"But it suits you," she protested halfheartedly. And then, noticing he was waiting-

"If you come here, to this tree, I'll find you."

"Always?"

"Always." He nodded once more and made to turn away, but she called out to him again.

"Charming? I'm Katherine."

He spent the ride home saying her name over and over again. The Miller thought he was crazy.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realize this balcony was taken." Katherine turned to see a gentleman, richly dressed in slate gray, standing just inside the archway that opened onto one of the smaller balconies she had visited that evening. As soon as the dancing had begun, Beauty had been swarmed with partners and soon forgot all about the dashing prince she had been desperately hoping was to be hers. Katherine, not interested in being the Storyless oddity, had retreated in search of a conversation partner or quiet place to breathe. Her wandering feet had led her to this balcony overlooking a vast and well maintained garden that eventually bled into the forest.

"You can stay," she said, "I actually wouldn't mind the company."

"Are balls not your thing?" the man asked, joining her where she sat on a stone bench, carefully observing the partygoers in their finery below.

"I couldn't say, this is my first one."

"Mine too." She stared at him in surprise and he chuckled. "At least it's the first I can remember. I'd imagine I've been to at least one before." Katherine's mouth began to form words, but he quickly clamped his hand over her mouth and urged her to be quiet.

"I'm James," he said, "James Charmant." She pulled her head away from his grasp and kept her voice low.

"Charming? So you're the one my town is named after." James looked utterly bewildered and if the rumors were true and he had just woken up from a thousand year slumber, she could imagine somethings had been forgotten.

"I'm from a little town called Charmant. Apparently it was established a thousand years ago and if you're really Prince Charming, I guess it was named after you. Do you not remember?"

"I don't remember many things. Most things, actually. The Steward and his family have been kind though. They've kept a detailed history of the past thousand years, so I'm slowly catching up."

"But what about your life? Didn't anyone record your story?"

"Some, but not much. I don't even know why I'm called Charming."

"Well, what do you know?" James looked down into the garden that was slowly losing guests as a chill began to settle in.

"I'll tell you what I remember, if you agree to take a walk with me. Maybe help me plan an escape route?" He smiled and there was a sparkle in his eyes.

"What do you need an escape route for?"

"Well, if someone suddenly decides my presence at this ball is mandatory, I want to be able to escape as quickly as possible."

"And you believe I won't tell anyone where you've gone?" He stood and offered her his hand.

"I trust you, Miss-?"

"Hunt. Katherine Hunt."

"Well then, Miss Hunt, how about that walk?" She took his hand.

•§•

"So what do you remember?" she asked as they rounded an oak tree in the center of the garden.

"Honestly, nothing."

"And yet you're introducing yourself as James Charmant and allowing a ball to be held in your honor as the Prince of Castle a Lock. Are you sure you don't remember anything?" She smiled and because it was so infectious, he smiled as well.

"I will tell you the truth, when I awoke I knew nothing. But the Steward told me that I was Prince James Charmant of Castle a Lock and something about that rang true in, I don't know, my soul? my spirit? That knowledge just felt right. That's how I'm remembering. I read something about my past and it feels right and if I were to try, perhaps I could find the memory associated with the fact. But on my own, I know nothing of myself, of my story."

"Well then, Charming, you're in good company for I know nothing of my story either."

"Have you been asleep for the last thousand years as well?" She laughed and took the arm he had offered her when they began their walk, briefly marveling at how familiar he seemed.

"No, I'm just a poor, Storyless character. One who, and keep in mind I haven't told anyone this, cannot remember much of her life." James stared down at her in surprise and she shrugged it off as though her missing memories were nothing of importance.

"I'm sorry," he said finally, holding her hand tightly in his. "Perhaps we can find someone who knew you then? Parents, perhaps?"

"No. They said I struck my head as child and all my memories just disappeared. But I know that's not true."

"And how? How do you know that?" She paused beneath the oak tree, staring up at him. Something about the way the leaves looked above his head caused her to pause and ignore his question.

"How?" he asked again. "How do you know what is true and what is not?"

"I suppose it's the same way you do. I am told something and if my soul does not agree with it, I know it cannot be true." James ran a finger along her pearl diadem and smiled down at her.

"I believe you are right, Miss Hunt. I am good company." They continued their walk throughout the garden before a servant came looking for them saying James was needed in the ballroom as it was time for his cake. They had yet to find an escape route, so Katherine released James' arm and told him to return to his party, opting to remain in the garden herself.

"You'll still be here, when I've fulfilled my princely duties?" he asked. She pointed to the oak tree and smiled.

"I'll be right here with this tree keeping me company."

"Good, I'll find you then."

"Go to your party Charming. Your guests are waiting."

"Are you sure you won't come?"

"Next time, I promise."

•§•

"How was the ball, my dear?" Mr. Fox asked later that evening as Katherine returned the pearl diadem to him. Or at least she had tried until he insisted she keep it as it was a gift especially for her.

"It was alright, I suppose. I spent most of my time in the garden."

"The garden? What sort of girl goes to a ball and spends her time in the garden? Are you sure you're not Snow White?" They laughed amicably as Mr. Fox fixed her a cup of tea and joined her on his sofa that was much too large for him, but just right for a woman of her size.

"The sort of girl who is spending the evening with Prince Charming." Mr. Fox, always composed and knowledgeable on all things in the kingdom was genuinely shocked for the first time in his life. Katherine had to stifle her laughter at the expression on his face.

"Mr. Fox I am impressed. For once I know something you do not." He cleared his throat and adjusted his waistcoat before sipping his tea.

"Do not gloat, my dear, it is very unattractive. And don't get accustomed to it either," he added with a wink. Katherine rested her head against the arm of the sofa.

"Why was the prince asleep for so long?" she asked, "And why can't he remember anything?"

"Rumors, my dear, only rumors. Will those suffice?"

"Better than nothing, I suppose." Mr. Fox pulled the afghan folded on the back of the sofa onto Katherine's feet, tucking it in around her legs and she grew more comfortable and more tired.

"Prince Charming's parents and Snow White had a bit of hate between them. They had refused to help her when she was fleeing from the Vain Queen and Snow White never forgave them. So when her own daughter fell in love with Prince Charming, she had a fairy place an enchantment on a glass coffin that would keep her daughter young until she was released. And she locked her away."

"But what about Charmant? What happened to the prince?"

"The Prince was devastated at the loss of his love and made a deal with Rumpelstiltskin in order to remain young forever, long enough to find his love and rescue her from the enchantment. But Mr. Stiltskin is not the sort to bargain with and in exchange for remaining young, Prince Charming was cursed to sleep until his love returned to Castle a Lock in search of him."

"That sounds true. But, that doesn't explain the loss of his memories."

"Some say he lost them to Rumpelstiltskin as part of another deal. What that deal is, no one knows. But what they do know is that their prince is awake and without his memories."

"He's awake. That means…"

"Snow White's daughter has come looking for him." Katherine set her finished tea on the coffee table and burrowed deeper into the warmth of the sofa.

"Then why wasn't she at the ball tonight?"

"Perhaps she was and you just didn't notice her." Katherine smiled.

"I would have known her, had I seen her." Mr. Fox waited until Katherine's breathing evened out before he picked up her teacup and kissed her on the forehead.

"Goodnight my dear, dream well."

"Are you going to see that prince again? What do you call him, Charming?" Katherine paused in her attempt to sneak out of the cottage without her mother noticing, but Snow was too perceptive. She'd known for months now that Katherine had been meeting Prince James in the forest and she was none too pleased with that information.

"He's a good man," Katherine tried to reason, but she knew it was futile. Snow hated James' parents, the King and Queen of the nearest kingdom who had refused to help when the Vain Queen in the south had tried to have Snow's heart cut out. She had never forgiven them and it seemed as though now she wished to punish their son for their mistakes.

"End it," she said, "I don't want you seeing him after tonight."

"But mother-"

"I said end it! End this ridiculous affair of yours and then return here. We're leaving in the morning." Katherine's eyes watered.

"Where to?" Snow tried to give her daughter a reassuring smile.

"To a place where we will be safe and undisturbed forever, my dear. Now go on, your prince is waiting for you." Katherine didn't want to leave. She didn't want to leave and go meet Charming. She didn't want to return home only to leave to some unknown place in the morning. She didn't want to disappear forever. She didn't want to leave James.

"I'll be back soon," she promised before stepping out the door and into the night. Tundra tried to follow, but she slapped the wolf and made him stay. She had to do this on her own.

•§•

"Katherine? Why are you crying?" She looked up to see James kneeling before her, the limbs of the giant oak shielding them from all but the faintest shards of moonlight.

"You're here," she said and he laughed.

"Seems I found you for once." This caused her tears to start afresh as she threw herself into his arms. He caught her easily and held tightly until the sobbing subsided and she was able to speak.

"My mother says this needs to end," she said into the dark. She couldn't look at him. She didn't want to see the heartbreak she knew would be in his eyes as she was sure it was now in hers.

"Why?" She held him closer, hearing the ticking of time as their last moments were slowly being counted down for them. How definite this would all be.

"She hates your family. She hates your parents, she hates you. I was told to end this and return home. We're leaving in the morning." He held her at arms length and watched as she struggled not to look at him.

"Where?" She shook her head.

"She didn't say, but truthfully, I know she's going to take me somewhere far away. To a place where no one will ever find us. Not even you." He grabbed her chin and forced her to look at him, hunching over so they were at eye level.

"I will always find you, Katherine. Wherever you go, I will find you." She wrenched herself away from him and put as much distance between them as she could before her body connected with the oak tree.

"This has to end," but Charming was not going to hear any of it.

"Run away with me," he said, "run away with me to my kingdom. Be my princess." He joined her beneath the tree and slid a silver ring onto her finger. Katherine's mouth fell open with shock and she fought the urge to cry again. This is what she had always wanted, but she couldn't disobey her mother.

"I'm sorry," she said, slipping the ring from her finger and placing it in Charming's hand, "But I can't." She stepped around him and he followed, begging her to stay.

"Stay with me, please. I'll be lost without you." She turned and smiled at him, wanting his last memory of her to be the best it could be.

"I'll find you," she promised. And then she was gone.

"Pardon me," Katherine said, halting the serving girl whose arms were laden with fresh linens, "Could you tell me where I could find Ja- Prince Charmant?" The girl nodded and pointed towards a glass door that opened onto the garden. There, beneath the oak tree, she could just make out the form of a person.

"Thank you," she said, nodding to girl before heading through the doorway and out to James, who stood and greeted her with a smile and a warm embrace.

"Now I'm positive I was supposed to be the one to find you under this tree," he said, "And not the other way around. Clearly, you were not made aware of that." Katherine shrugged and joined him on the bench beneath the large oak whose limbs were spread far and wide.

"I've always loved oak trees," she said, "For as long as I can remember, there's always been something about them that just drew me in." She smiled, slightly embarrassed and shook all nonsensical thoughts of her head.

"My apologies, I turn into a bit of a dreamy girl every now and then. Feel free to pull me back to reality."

"On the contrary," he said, "I quite enjoy it. You get this look in your eyes like you're remember something particularly wonderful."

"I'm not sure what it could be."

"Whatever it is, know that I am jealous of it." They shared a friendly laugh that startled a poor bird nesting above their heads.

"I asked a friend about you, the other night," she said, "Or rather about the curse placed upon you. I imagine the Steward informed you?" James nodded, but offered no response beyond that.

"Do you not remember being cursed?"

"I remember nothing and I feel, that out of everything, the reason I was cursed should be the one thing I should remember. The one thing I should be incapable of forgetting."

"Why is that?"

"Because apparently, I made a deal with Rumpelstiltskin that would allow me to be with my love forever. And I wish, above all things, I could remember that love." She grasped his hand reassuringly and tried to get him to smile.

"You will," she said, "I promise you will. One day you will remember everything, especially your love."

"But what if she's gone by then? What if I lose her and never know it because I can't remember her?" Katherine had no answer for him, so they both lapsed into silence, only the song birds keeping that silence from growing too thick.

"You know," he said finally, "The night of the ball I swore you were familiar. But then I realized you just resembled someone I had seen a few days prior."

"Who?" she asked, surprised at his comment for she knew of no one who looked like her.

"Just a woman," he said, "In the forest."

"Take me to her."

•§•

The woman looked asleep. Asleep and unharmed by the forces of nature as though the glass coffin she resided in was keeping her preserved forever. Katherine could not take her eyes off her, marveling at the beauty before her. Hair was black as coal, skin as white as snow, and lips as red as blood.

"Snow White, I can't believe you found Snow White." James didn't look entirely impressed by his find, but then again, it didn't surprise him. It was doubtful he had been informed Snow White was the only fairytale character with no descendants in existence. She doubted he would ever be informed of that as there were much more important things in life to remember, namely, how to rule a kingdom.

"There's another one over here," he said, leading Katherine to the other side of the massive oak tree to where another glass coffin rested, covered in leaves, moss, and oak roots. But this one was different, the glass lid having been removed a while ago judging from the moss growing on the inside of it.

"This must be where her daughter was left," Katherine said, turning to James in hopes he understood what she was implying. Judging from the look on his face, she believed he knew. Here had rested the love of his life who had somehow escaped her tomb and had arrived in Castle a Lock no more than a few months ago, no doubt searching for him.

"Do you think she remembers me?" he asked, running a hand over the smooth glass. Katherine joined him on the ground, marveling over the craftsmanship that no doubt was the work of the Seven Dwarves.

"I'm sure she remembers you."

"Then why hasn't she found me yet?"

"Maybe she got lost. Maybe she got lost and you need to find her." James pondered this as Katherine's hands smoothed over the moss and leaves that filled the coffin. She couldn't imagine what it must have been like, being shut into a coffin by your own mother. Her hand struck a groove and a splinter jammed into her finger.

"Thank goodness I'm not Aurora," she joked as James carefully removed it. Once the infuriating piece of wood was removed, she returned her attention to the groove, uncovering letters beneath the moss. Letters that soon turned into words that soon came to form a sentence. A sentence and a name.

"James, look." She pointed to the name painstakingly carved into the wood. Charming it said.

"You wrote this for her," she explained, tracing over the words card into the tree; into the coffin of Snow White's daughter.

"What does it say?" he asked, leaning closer and speaking softly as though any sudden noise might break this moment that surely must be a dream.

"I will find you," Katherine said, turning to face James whose eyes glazed over as he lost himself in a time not the present.

"Say it again," he asked.

"I will find you."

"Always?" She hesitated, not knowing what he was dreaming of.

"Always." The fog over James lifted as he returned to the present to find a bewildered Katherine kneeling before a glass coffin in the forest.

"We should get back," he said, "It looks like it might start raining." Katherine didn't protest.

•§•

"Mr. Fox, did you hear?" Katherine asked as she burst into the shop. Mr. Fox, forever calm, came around from behind the counter and regarded her as though she were an average person on an average day of an average week in a very, very average year.

"Yes, my dear, I did hear. The Steward is already calling a kingdom wide search to find Snow White's daughter. But for whatever reason, the Prince Charming refused to reveal the location of Snow White's tomb. Strange, don't you think?"

"Perhaps he has some respect for the dead," she suggested, not knowing herself why James would not reveal the location of the tombs. And to think he had taken her, a complete stranger, to see them.

"So, what did you think of her?" Katherine pulled herself back into the present.

"Think of who?"

"Snow White. Is she as beautiful as the stories say?" Katherine didn't even have to conjure an image of Snow White in her mind to answer that. The memory of the princess locked in her glass coffin was forever burned into the forefront of Katherine's mind.

"Truly the fairest of them all," she said.

"And what of her appearance? What did you think of her appearance?"

"Her appearance? I don't understand."

"Does she remind you of anyone? Anyone at all?" It was insane, nonsensical, and certainly farfetched and irrational. But it was the truth and something in Katherine knew it to be true.

"I look like her," she said and Mr. Fox smiled before the door of the shop was flung open and there stood Beauty, breathless and radiant, beaming as though she had just been given the moon. And Katherine knew, should such a possibility ever arise, the moon would no doubt be given to one of the Beauties.

"I'm invited!" she declared, waving around a piece of parchment with an official looking seal on it.

"Invited to what?" Katherine asked and Beauty thrust the letter into her hands with more gusto than any letter deserved, at least in Katherine's opinion.

"I'm invited to meet Prince Charmant and see if I'm his love!"

"But Beauty," Katherine objected, "You know very well that you aren't. His love is Snow White's daughter, not a daughter of Beauty." She could see the crushed look that was threatening to split the petite princess in two and for a brief moment, Katherine felt regret. But only for a moment, for it was soon replaced with her earlier emotions of protectiveness and was that jealousy?

"Well maybe he'll fall in love with someone else," Beauty said, "Someone who doesn't run off and leave him in a dreamless sleep for a thousand years."

"How do you know he didn't dream?" Mr. Fox asked.

"What would you dream about for a thousand?" came her response. The vulpine shrugged.

"Perhaps, if I were in his shoes, I would dream about the woman I loved."

"Then why does he not remember her?"

"He does. Her voice, the things she said… I bet he remembers it all. But he's forgotten her face, the touch of her hand. He just needs to be reminded."

"That's ridiculous, just like you." And with that, Beauty stormed from the store leaving Mr. Fox unfazed and Katherine hoping against hope that the prince would remember.

A slow drizzle began at dawn and continued into the late afternoon. By midday, Charming was soaked to the bone, but he would not relent in his search. He had to find Katherine, even if it meant losing himself in the deep forest she so loved.

"Katherine!" he called into the dense wood, hoping against all else that she would emerge from the trees as she had so often done in the past. Even at this moment, he would take Tundra appearing before him, so long as the damned wolf would lead him to his mistress. He needed to find her.

"She's gone, I'm afraid." Charming turned, drawing his sword, to face his opponent. The man was older, with eerie amber eyes and skin that seemed to glint. His face was sad and his pointed ears were almost concealed by stringy, dirty hair that almost appeared to be green in color.

"Who are you?" The man grinned revealing crooked teeth stained yellow. Charming stepped backwards.

"I'm impressed. The great Prince Charming, afraid of me? Even dear little Katherine was braver than you when we first yet, and she was much younger than she is now." Charming, as thought compelled to, lowered his sword and stepped closer to the man.

"Tell me where she is." Again the goblin sort of man smiled.

"I will tell you where little Katherine is, in exchange for something."

"Anything," Charming did not hesitate.

"I like your passion," the man said, "But all I'll require is your name. I like being acquainted with people."

"James," he said, "But Katherine is insistent on calling me Prince Charming."

"Rumpelstiltskin," the man supplied, "And keep in mind, you'll be known as Prince Charming for a very long time. Just remember who called you charming first." He opened his mouth to respond, but found there were no words to say. Rumpelstiltskin tipped his head before striding away.

"Wait!" Charming called, "You didn't tell me where Katherine is." Rumpelstiltskin turned around.

"Go to your tree," he said, "You'll find what you're searching for."

•§•

Charming arrived at the great oak to see a glass coffin had been built into the roots. It was the work of dwarves, he could tell, but the coffin was empty. And the only dwarves Charming could think of who would build such a coffin, one that could comfortably fit a human, were friends with Katherine. Which meant-

"Katherine!" His scream startled the birds nesting in the limbs above him, their cries the only sound in the forest for a moment, before everything fell silent. Katherine didn't appear, nor did Tundra. No dwarf arrived to say his love was safe and that it was her mother who had passed away. No one came to tell him that Katherine was alive, safe, and so very much in love with him that she wanted to marry him and be his princess forever. No one came.

He lifted the glass lid away from the coffin and pulled out his knife, the very same knife Katherine had gifted to him a few weeks ago with a joke about how he could offer his services to help ogres cook their stew and chop their vegetables until she arrived and saved him. Now, he used that knife to carve into the side of the coffin everything he failed to tell her. Maybe she would awake, by some miracle, in her coffin and read the words. Maybe she would see them. Maybe she would remember how much he loved her. And maybe, just maybe, she would come and find him.

"Hello Miss Katherine." Katherine looked up and was surprised to see Rumpelstiltskin standing before her.

"Mr. Fox isn't here," she said polity before returning to her book keeping. He stepped closer until only the narrow counter separated them.

"I'm not here to see Mr. Fox, I'm here to see you." Once again her hand slipped beneath the counter and grasped the letter opener that she had taken to sharpening ever since Rumpelstiltskin's first visits to the shop.

"What do you want?"

"I hear you saw Snow White."

"What's it to you?" He tried to smile, but failed and Katherine was instantly curious.

"How did she look? As beautiful as ever, I imagine."

"You would be correct. A frighteningly lovely corpse."

"She's not dead!" And then, in a whisper, "She's merely asleep. Stupid apples. But she'll wake up, she will, you'll see. She has to." It all made sense now. Everything made sense to Katherine.

"You loved her." The goblin man smiled.

"I haven't stopped. It's been a thousand years and I still love her. I even love you." Katherine stepped away then until her back collided with the wall. She held the letter opener out between her and Rumpelstiltskin, daring him to move closer.

"You don't know me," she said, punctuating each word in the hopes he would realize she wasn't who he thought she was.

"But I do, m'dear, I do. The first time we met, I made a deal with you. I would give you the name of your prince, if you gave me your name. Katherine. Such a lovely name. I must have practiced saying it for weeks. You are even more fair than your mother ever was. Can you imagine that? Fairer than the fairest of them all. Now that is quite a story."

"But a story nonetheless. Now leave, please."

"A favor for a favor m'dear." Katherine sank to the floor the moment he retreated from her sight. The letter opener did not leave her hand until Mr. Fox returned with Scarlet, who apologized for taking so much of Tundra's time and promised she would never take him from the store again. Katherine told her to keep the wolf and asked Mr. Fox to take her home to Charmant. She was done with fairytales.

•§•

"So this is Charmant," Mr. Fox said as the town sprang up from the forest. Scarlet was visibly unimpressed.

"Charming," she muttered. Katherine laughed.

"Be careful Scarlet, you're already beginning to fit in. That's what everyone in this town calls it."

"Who calls a town charming," the Hood wondered, "I mean really? What were they thinking?"

"Prince Charmant had it built," Mr. Fox explained, "In the hopes his love would stumble across it one day and be reminded of him and come find him. How funny Fate is that she should have lived here for years without knowing." He looked pointedly at Katherine who did her best to ignore him.

"That's my house," she said, pointed to the blackened house that was slowly worsening as the years passed.

"Who are your parents again?" Scarlet asked, observing the morbid scene with slight interest, Tundra glued to her side. Katherine didn't mind. It seemed as though Scarlet was better adept at caring for a wolf.

"The Huntsman and the Vain Queen," she said and as if summoned, they emerged from the house and embraced the daughter they had not seen in months.

"Is this the girl you brought home to meet your brother?" Vanity asked, smiling at Scarlet while sizing her up. But the Hood wasn't the kind to be intimidated, so she squared her shoulders and crossed her arms daring the Vain Queen to say one ill thing about her.

"I think she'll do," Vanity decided and Katherine sighed..

"That's not what we're here for. I need to know if you're my parents or not." The Huntsman, ever a quiet individual, spoke.

"It's best you come inside, all of you."

•§•

"You're not her parents, are you?" Scarlet said, meandering around the living room and taking into account all the childhood photos of Katherine's brother Adam, but noticing there were none of Katherine that dated back more than a few years ago.

"No," the Vain Queen said, "We aren't. My husband found her in the forest on a trip to Castle a Lock a few years ago and brought her here. She couldn't remember anything and I so desperately wanted a daughter, so we-"

"You lied," Scarlet said, picking up a wolf figurine before setting it down. The front door banged open and Adam strode in, greeting his sister warmly before taking notice of Scarlet who was impressed herself.

"Friend?" Adam asked his sister, gesturing to the redhead in the middle of the room. She nodded.

"Scarlet, this is my Huntsman brother Adam. Adam, Scarlet Hood." And she could see it happen then and there as Adam and Scarlet shook hands and their fairytales crossed. This is how it was supposed to be. This is how falling in love with the love of your life was supposed to be. You were to know it instantly and never forget it. So why had she forgotten James?

"Why didn't you wake up my mother?" she asked and the Huntsman frowned.

"The history between Snow White and the Vain Queen, it wouldn't have worked. Your mother and Van here wouldn't have gotten along."

"So you could have left me with her. You could have left me with my mother." The guilt on the Huntsman's face almost made Katherine cry. Adam didn't seemed phased at all.

"You knew, didn't you?" Katherine said and Adam, ever the wonderful brother incapable of dishonesty, nodded.

"They told me after you left. Said you were going to Castle a Lock and that you probably wouldn't be coming back. They explained why."

"So all this time," Scarlet said, "You knew who Katherine was and you never told her? All this time, she's been separated from her true love because you two wanted a daughter? What is wrong with you people!"

"Scarlet, don't," Katherine begged, "It's not their fault."

"It's not their fault that James is now searching the entire kingdom for his one true love because no one bothered to tell you it's you? How is that not their fault?"

"He woke up?" Vanity asked and Mr. Fox nodded.

"Yes. He awoke the moment Katherine agreed to remain in Castle a Lock. They've even spoken a few times and he took her to Snow White's tomb, which he found by accident."

"And yet he doesn't remember her?"

"I'm afraid not, Miss Hunt. I am unsure as to why, but he is completely unaware as to who Katherine is."

"But she can go back and tell him," Vanity said, "Right? She can tell him and everything will be alright?"

"One can only hope."

"I think it'll take a lot more than hope," Adam said from his corner of the room where he stood shifting his attention between his sister and Scarlet. "I just heard in town that the prince announced his engagement to some girl named Clare."

"Clare?" Mr. Fox said, "Lady Clare of the Lakelands?" Adam nodded.

"Yeah, you know her?"

"Personally, no. But Rumpelstiltskin does."

"How does he know her?" Katherine asked. Mr. Fox smiled apologetically.

"She is his daughter."

•§•

"You two will travel faster alone," Scarlet said, "I'll follow behind with Adam." She carefully lifted Mr. Fox into Katherine's arms who allowed him to settle on the saddle before waving to her parents.

"I'll see you in Castle a Lock," she said, "When everything is done, I want you to come see me, to meet James."

"We will," the Huntsman promised.

"Take care of Scarlet," she told Adam, who nodded and wrapped an arm around the Hood's shoulders. Scarlet looked at him before grinning up at Katherine.

"You should've told me you had a cute brother. I'd of come here a while ago."

"Behave Scarlet."

"I will. Now you go get your prince."

"You can ride, correct?" Mr. Fox asked as Katherine steered the horse away from town.

"Of course I can." She cut off from the road and entered the deep forest, opting for the shorter route to Castle a Lock.

"But through the forest?"

"I am Huntswoman," she said. He smiled.

"There is no record of there every being a Huntswoman."

"I suppose it's time we changed that."

"What is that?" Katherine asked, coming to a halt beside what looked like a glass coffin built into the roots of her great oak tree. No, it was their great oak tree, her's and Charming's. It belonged to no one else.

"This is a special coffin," Snow White explained, "That will keep you young and ageless until someone opens it and wakes you up. You'll be safe in here."

"Safe from what?" Snow smiled reassuringly at her daughter and brushed the tangled curls away from her young face.

"Safe from everything my dear. Go on, climb inside." Katherine stared at the coffin, so intricate and beautiful. She wondered if the dwarves had known what the coffin was for when they built it. She could not imagine they would have crafted it had they known. Even Grumpy, who didn't like anyone, was fond of Charming if only for the fact he made Katherine happy.

"No," she said, stepping away from what would be her tomb and in the process, away from her mother.

"I can't leave James. I can't. I love him too much."

"Even more than your own mother?" Katherine's gaze flickered between the coffin and the woman before her who was known as the fairest of them all. The decision was easy.

"Yes." She ran deeper into the forest before her mother could catch her, vanishing among the trees that appeared to open their limbs and embrace her into their safety. She had to find James.

The wedding was in full swing by the time they arrived at the palace, which was locked down tighter than Mr. Fox had ever seen it with guards blocking every avenue of entrance.

"There's no way in," came a voice and Katherine and Mr. Fox turned to see Rumpelstiltskin standing before them.

"She's your daughter," Katherine said, "Surely you must be able to do something."

"Clare may be related to me, but I'll never claim her as mine. I know us Stiltskins have a bad reputation, but she's by far the worse."

"What did she do?"

"Among other things, she bargained away both her children for power and wealth. She's blinded by greed and should Charmant marry the wrong girl, he'll fall back asleep forever and Clare will remain as the unchallenged ruler of the kingdom. Katherine, you must stop this wedding."

"But how? There's no way…" Katherine dared a look at the guards before scooping Mr. Fox into her arms and sprinting away from the entrance to the palace, Rumpelstiltskin close on her heels.

"Where are we going?" demanded Mr. Fox, "And will you set me down?" She dropped him as they reached their destination, the glass door leading into the garden opened despite the chill of the day.

"I think it's the servant girl who leaves this open," she said as they slipped into the palace.

"This way," Mr. Fox said, "I can hear the wedding vows are being exchanged, we must hurry."

•§•

"Charming!" Katherine's voice ricocheted off the soaring walls of the Gothic chapel and while James turned, he seemed oblivious to the fact she was standing only an aisle's length from him.

"He's been enchanted," Rumpelstiltskin said, "Clare has put some sort of spell on him that's making him go through the wedding."

"And you couldn't have told me that beforehand?" Clare turned towards them slowly and removed her veil revealing her pointed ears and the same amber eyes of her father. While her skin looked relatively normal, Katherine knew it was only a matter of time before her dealings caught up with her and turned her into the horrific goblin Rumpelstiltskin was turning into with each passing day. But for now, she was beautiful, possibly even the fairest of them all with ebony hair and pale skin.

"You must be Katherine," she said, "I've heard so much about you."

"Release him, Clare," Rumpelstiltskin ordered, but his daughter paid no mind, advancing towards them at a leisurely strut.

"Release him," Katherine said, "And I will give you whatever you want." She smiled then revealing jagged teeth that belonged to a wolf more than a woman.

"Your life," she said, "I want the life of the fairest of them all. Give me that and I'll release him."

"No," Mr. Fox and Rumpelstiltskin said in unison, "You don't get to have her."

"Then I'm afraid I get to proceed with my wedding. Now if you'll excuse me, it's a bit stressful keeping all these guests in line." Katherine looked from side to side and saw that everyone in the chapel was transfixed on Clare as though she were the most beautiful thing in the world, and yet they were oblivious to what she was doing and who she really was.

"We object!" cried a familiar voice and Katherine turned to see Scarlet and Adam entering the chapel with a familiar body in Adam's arms. Rumpelstiltskin's face alighted with he saw Snow White for what had to be the first time in centuries.

"Whatever magic she has going on," Scarlet said, "You can break it Rumpelstiltskin. You're her father, you're stronger. You can fix things."

"But a Stiltskin is bound to the rules. A favor for a favor. I wish it were another way, but-"

"Take Snow White," Adam said, offering the body to Rumpelstiltskin who reverently took it.

"I can't," he said, "She has to be awake to agree." Katherine placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Then kiss her awake." Daring a glance at everyone around him, Rumpelstiltskin lowered his head and for the first time in a thousand years, he was able to kiss the woman he had always loved.

And Snow White awoke.

"Red!" Katherine cried, sliding down the steep hill and coming to a tumbling halt before Red Riding Hood who had a special place for Katherine and her wolf.

"Kat, are you alright?" She dropped her basket to the ground and helped her friend stand on shaky legs.

"Red," she forced between breaths, "I need to find Rumpelstiltskin. Something has happened and I need to find him. He needs to tell me where James is." The older girl's face fell.

"That should be easy enough," she explained, "since James went to make a deal with that Stiltskin." Katherine paled.

"Where, Red, tell me where."

"The clearing, where you met him as a child. That's where he does all his dealings." She thanked her quickly and sprinted off in the direction Red had told her praying that whatever deal James was making wouldn't ruin everything. She had to find him.

•§•

"James!" Katherine called, bursting into the field to find her prince asleep on the forest floor as Rumpelstiltskin stood over him.

"What did you do!" She dropped to her knees beside him and tried to shake him awake, but it did not work. Had he not been breathing, she would have thought him dead.

"We made a deal," Rumpelstiltskin explained, offering Katherine a hand to help her up. She swatted it away.

"What was the deal? Please, tell me." The goblin man joined her on the forest floor.

"He thought you were dead, m'dear. Dead, but he was hopeful there would someday be a way to wake you up, to bring you back. And he needed to be around to see that day." Katherine brushed Charming's hair away from his forehead and tried to smile at him, not that it would really matter now.

"So he's asleep," she said, "Asleep and safe. For how long?" She watched as Rumpelstiltskin's face fell.

"He'll only awake when you enter Castle a Lock. But you very well know that if you leave this forest, the Vain Queen's men will grab you and cut your heart out." Katherine nodded; she knew this. The Vain Queen had never stopped hunting Snow White and when she found out she had a daughter, she had placed a bounty on Katherine's head as well.

"What do I do?" The goblin smiled.

"You wait, m'dear. Go to sleep in that coffin your mother built for you. When you wake, the Vain Queen will be gone and you'll be able to leave the forest and enter Castle a Lock. Then, and only then, will James awake." Katherine leaned forward and kissed James then, wiping away the tears that fell from her eyes onto his cheek.

"Take care of him," she requested of Rumpelstiltskin, "I know there's a cost to every favor you're asked, but I don't care. Take whatever you want. Just promise me he'll be safe." He nodded.

"Your prince will be safe. And the cost-"

"I don't care," Katherine said, standing and returning to the deep forest. She didn't look back; she couldn't. Seeing James on the ground, too far for her to reach was a sight she could not bear to remember. But she knew, without a doubt, it would be the one to play in her mind as she slept. Nothing could undo such a memory.

Rumpelstiltskin called after her, but she did not hear him.

"The cost are his memories."

"Mom, breathe," Katherine coached as she held her mother tightly until Snow White calmed.

"Kathy?" She touched her daughter's face fearing this was all a dream she would soon be roughly pulled from.

"It's me mom, I'm okay. But there's something happening and I need your help." Snow White took in her surrounding and recognized only two faces: those of Rumpelstiltskin and Prince Charming who, for lack of a better word, looked oblivious to his surroundings.

"He's enchanted, mom," Katherine explained, "Rumpelstiltskin's daughter Clare enchanted him so he would marry her. And if he does, something bad will happen and Clare will rule the kingdom."

"Which would also be bad," Scarlet piped up, "So we need you to agree to be property of Rumpelstiltskin so he can break the spell and Katherine can get her prince." Snow White's eyes narrowed.

"No."

"Mom," Katherine pleaded.

"No. I did not go through what I did simply to give up now. His parents are awful people and-"

"They're dead, mom." Snow White stared at her daughter in disbelief. Was it too much to hope?

"I was locked in that coffin for a thousand years," Katherine explained, "And there isn't enough time to explain everything, but Charming can't remember anything about his life and he needs to, not for me, but for his kingdom. He needs to remember what it means to be a good ruler and he can't do that unless Rumpelstiltskin breaks the curse."

"So you want me to bind myself to Rumpelstiltskin in order to save Prince Charming? A thousand years and you're still choosing him over me?" Katherine couldn't hold back the tears that fell as she realized the woman before her was harsher than anyone she had ever known. She wished, even if she couldn't remember, that she had chosen Charming when she had had the chance. None of this would have happened had she.

"Mom, this isn't about me picking him over you. This is me asking you to save a kingdom from a greedy and power hungry witch who will destroy everything. Mom, if we don't stop her, you're going to lose me forever and there will be nothing you can do to stop it." Over Katherine's shoulder, Snow White saw the witch in question who was rolling her eyes at their pathetic attempts.

"Really," Clare said, "This is touching, but I have a wedding to finish. No leave."

"Deal," Snow White said. Clare's eyes widened.

"What?" Rumpelstiltskin held his hand out to Snow White.

"Shake on it," he said. Clare began running towards them, shouting incoherently as the chapel began to shake.

"Mom, shake his hand." Snow White looked to her daughter and then to Rumpelstiltskin who looked at her the way she wished her prince had. Part of the ceiling fell and nearly crushed Scarlet who was pulled away by Adam at the last minute.

"Shake it!" Snow White reached out and grasped Rumpelstiltskin's hand.

Everything stopped.

"You came back," Snow White said, skeptical and allowing her eyes dart around the forest. Surely her daughter hadn't returned alone.

"Lock me in the coffin," Katherine said, climbing into the coffin made of roots and glass. Her mother smiled at her, saying something about how everything would be okay and she'd wake up soon. She may have even said something about a happily ever after, but Katherine couldn't find the spirt to listen. She rolled onto her side and stared at the mossy bark, letting her fingers run over the different textures. Snow White fitted the lid onto the coffin, not bothering to say goodbye. She would awaken Katherine in a few years once Prince Charming and had moved on and everything would be right again. Katherine would see, she would forgive her mother.

As Katherine began to fall asleep, her wandering hand found a new texture in her tomb and she opened her eyes to see words carved into the tree. Her name was scrawled haphazardly, as though it was there only to let the reader know who the message was intended for. And that message was carved with painstaking finesse and clarity.

I will find you.

Charming was quick to order the capture of Clare the moment his memories returned and the stupor spell was broken. But Clare was faster than he had imagined and she managed to evade his guards and disappeared into the night. Snow White was now bound to Rumpelstiltskin who promised to treat her well. She wasn't pleased with the arrangement, but she assured her daughter that things would work out. Which is when Katherine had to break the news.

"I don't remember you," she said, "I don't remember anything and I don't know why."

"I do, dear," Snow White said, "And I really had hoped you would just forget Charming, but it seems Fate wished to teach me a lesson by making you forget me as well."

Around them, the reception was being converted into a celebration for the real return of the prince who was now comfortably in his element and no longer sneaking off into gardens with Storyless girls named Katherine. Snow White noticed her daughter's gaze and touched her hand.

"I'm sorry Kathy, I never wanted to hurt you. I just wanted to keep you safe." Katherine turned to face her mother.

"Did you see the way he looked at me? And then when Mr. Fox stopped him and explained I had no memory of him; did you see the look on his face? He loves me. He loves me and I'm incapable of remembering that love all because you hated his family."

"Please forgive me," she begged, "I can't have my only child hate me."

"I don't hate you. On one hand I'm glad I was asleep for so long because I have met some amazing people in this time. But still, I don't remember my life. I don't remember you and I don't remember Charming and honestly, I can't decide which hurts more."

"Rumpelstiltskin," Snow White called and her new possessor instantly appeared, smiling apologetically to Katherine who hastily dashed away her tears.

"Yes, milady?" Snow White sighed before waving Charming over.

"Rumpelstiltskin, I want you to summon the fairy Echo. She's the one who cast the enchantment on my daughter, therefore she must be the one to lift it." Delighted, Charming sat beside Katherine who tried to smile, but found it too difficult to speak to a man who knew more about her than she did herself.

"As you wish," Rumpelstiltskin said. He gave a quick chant that caused him to sparkle more than usual and then suddenly, in a flash of pale gold light, a fairy appeared with translucent wings and skin the color of chocolate.

"You summoned me, Stiltskin," she said, rather unamused, but her pointed ears flickered as she took in the sight of Snow White.

"I summoned you," Snow White said, "For I need you to break the enchantment I had you place on my daughter years ago." Echo observed Katherine who sat uncomfortable next to the attentive Prince Charming who was failing at hiding how miserable he was. And what man wouldn't be miserable if the woman he loved couldn't remember him?

"Can't do it," Echo said, "Too many powerful memories. Either she gets her memories of you, or she gets her memories of him. Pick." Katherine tilted her head backwards willing the tears to return from whence they came. It seemed as though nothing in this day was going to be easy.

"Katherine," her attention turned to Charming who was resisting the urge to reach out and touch her, "Take the memories of your mother. You can't remember this, but she's always been more important to you than I ever was. If you remember anyone, it should be her."

"No," Snow White said, "I was terrible mother. I was selfish and at times cruel and for that I'm sorry. I would like to be selfish just a little bit more and not have you remember any of that. I'd like to make new memories with you, if that's alright." Katherine nodded and breathed a sigh of relief, not having the strength to confess that while she wanted to remember her mother, she needed to remember Charming.

"There's a price," Echo said, "I demand a price and the only thing I really want is Snow White's beauty." Snow White nodded without hesitation.

"Take it, it's yours. Just restore my daughter's memories of the prince." Again, Echo said she couldn't do it.

"Sorry, but your beauty, your memories." And before anyone could protest, Katherine was experiencing a searing headache that caused her to shake and convulse and scream in agony.

But when the pain stopped and her breathing returned to normal, Katherine opened her eyes not as Katherine Hunt, but as Katherine White. And while she did not remember the past she had with the man holding her, she did remember her life with the aged and plain woman stroking her hair.

"Mom?" Snow White breathed a sigh of relief when, for the first time in a thousand years, she saw her daughter smile.

Her apartment door clicked behind her as Katherine took the stairs two at a time before entering the bookstore. It still felt strange having her old memories back, but it provided her with some explanations. First and foremost, she now understood her attachment to the forest and was thankful Mr. Fox allowed her every afternoon off work to gallivant about in the woods. She swore she was exploring and not gallivanting. It also explained her connection to Tundra, who was now officially property of Adam and Scarlet who had decided to marry shortly after Katherine's memories were restored and Prince Charmant was crowned king. Beauty, oddly enough, had fallen in love with Edward of all people who, to everyone's surprised, turned into a werewolf every full moon. The program directors at K.I.S.A had been too shocked by this revelation that they completely forgot that Edward was only a third ranker who hadn't completed a heroic deed and therefore, shouldn't have been given his princess. But as far as Katherine and everyone else saw it, putting up with someone like Beauty was as heroic as deeds come. And she had a sneaking suspicion the directors at K.I.S.A saw it that way too. After all, one of them was Beauty's father.

As for Snow White, she was still adjusting to her normal looks with the help of Rumpelstiltskin who had yet to mention it was his kiss that had awoken her. Katherine figured her mother knew and wasn't going to speculate at all until something came of it. Rumpelstiltskin apologized for stealing Charming's memories, but Katherine had taken the blame despite the fact she couldn't remember. Mr. Fox, meanwhile, was happy he had new students who desperately needed to be schooled on the past thousand years, so he divided his time between the bookstore teaching Snow White and the castle teaching Prince Charming, while, of course, recording their individual stories so the greatest tale in history could finally be taken down truthfully and in entirety.

Which left Katherine to her own devices the majority of the time. Scarlet and Adam would visit and the Huntsman and the Vain Queen kept their promise and came for a visit, but left shortly after due to the tension with Snow White. Katherine promised she would come around. Charming, being just that, had agreed to leave Katherine alone for the time being until she was ready to talk. She still couldn't be around him without feeling uncomfortable and as though she were giving him false hope.

"I'm going out!" she called to Mr. Fox and her mother who were busy with their lesson. Mr. Fox nodded to Katherine while her mother waved and blew her a kiss. She remembered all the times her mother had been harsh and even cruel to her, but she understood now that she had only done it to protect her. And besides, that was the past and the mother before her in the present was more wonderful than she could have ever hoped for.

•§•

The leaves crunched beneath her feet as she navigated her way through the forest that was, for the first time in a thousand years, succumbing to the season known as winter. Rumpelstiltskin had suggested that perhaps the enchantment on Charming and Katherine was to blame for that, something about residual magic latching onto the deep forest where both enchantments were made and trapping the forest in a perpetual autumn that was now finally ending.

Katherine didn't care where her feet led her, but wasn't surprised when she arrived back at the glass coffin that had been her home for a thousand years.

"I found you." She turned to see Charming approaching her with a smile on his face. "You told me once that if I came to this tree, you would find me. Always." Katherine looked down at her coffin, unable to look at him and not scream in frustration that she couldn't remember anything they had had.

"I can't remember that," she said, "And because I can't remember, I'm still the Storyless girl from a little town called Charmant. Everyone's stories came out just as they were meant to. Even my mother and Rumpelstiltskin aren't breaking any stereotypes since they're Originals and get to do what they want."

"I'm an Original too," he pointed out, "so that means I get whatever ending I choose as well." Katherine laughed.

"Which means you can go back to Castle a Lock and marry some princess who will love you forever."

"I'll only go back if you go with me." Katherine dared to look at him and instantly knew it was a mistake. How could she not remember eyes like his? How could she not remember loving him as he had and still loved her? It was unfair. She decided then that Fate was cruel.

"Maybe I'll go back to sleep," she said, "Wake up in another thousand years. Maybe then everyone will have their own Original Story."

"Please don't. Katherine, you may not remember me, but-"

"And that's the point," she said, "I can't remember you. I can't remember you or us or our story no matter how hard I try and it's killing me. You love me so much and I can't remember a time where I loved you even a little." Her words were blunt and cutting and she watched as Charming's face fell, but she didn't stop. He had to realize. He had to see the truth.

"I'm never going to remember."

"Then we'll make new memories," he argued, "I don't care how long it takes to make you fall in love with me again. We can start over. I will make new memories with you; all you have to do is stay with me. Stay with me, please. I'll be lost without you." Katherine breathed deeply before settling herself down into the wooden base of her coffin that had been carved into the great oak trees by Seven Dwarves long since gone. Her hand cleared the moss away from the words Charming had carved for her, but this time, she uncovered her name as well.

"You wrote to me," she said, "And all this time my name was here, covered in moss. We could have solved so many things had we just looked a little harder."

"We still can," he pleaded, "We can still make things right. You don't have to do this."

"But if I did, would you seal me in?" He refused to answer. He refused to look at her. Even when she sat up and held his head in her hands, the first form of contact between them where he could remember her and she could remember herself, he still couldn't look at her.

"Would you seal me in?" she asked again and forced him, with what strength she had, to look at her. And he found, like he always did, that he could not refuse those green eyes with a quiet singularity that drew you into their depths and drowned you.

"If you want," he said, "You can lay down in your coffin and I'll seal you in. But keep in mind, I'll be right beside you in the other one. I've loved you for a thousand years and I can certainly love you for a thousand more." Katherine released him and buried her hands into the moss covering a tomb she could not remember.

"I'm never going to remember what we had." Charming cradled her face in his hands and smiled.

"Just don't forget me, as I am now. That's all I'll ever ask of you."

Katherine realized, in that moment, that she couldn't go back to sleep. She couldn't leave her friends and family and certainly not her mother who had done so much for her in the short time they had been reunited. It would be unfair and cruel. But more importantly, she couldn't willingly force herself to sleep for a thousand years or more when the one thing she wanted to remember was standing in front of her. She didn't know the events that had lead her to her tomb a thousand years ago, but she knew had Charming been there when it was time to decide, she never would have chosen to sleep. Which is why in this moment, she wasn't willing to make that same mistake again.

"Help me remember."

Charming, overcome with pure joy that Katherine was choosing to stay and above all else, stay with him, forgot entirely that she could not remember having ever loved him and kissed her for the first time in a thousand years the way only a prince can kiss his princess. And when he pulled away, a dreamy glaze had settled over Katherine's eyes that were fixated to him.

"You found me," she said in a whisper as though if she were to speak louder, this perfect dream would shatter and she would wake up back in Charmant.

"What?" Charming asked.

"That night, in the forest," she said, "You found me and you asked me to marry you. And I said no. And I really wish I had said yes." She began to cry and soon those tears were joined with his own and it wasn't long before they were both crying and laughing as everything they had felt for the last millennium came rising to the surface.

"And your damned horse almost ran me over," she said with a laugh, "And I can't believe I tracked him down and sent him back to you. And you have no sense of direction in the forest, so I'm amazed you haven't been eaten by ogres yet." Charming laughed with her as the tears subsided and an overwhelming sense of happiness filled them.

"Ogres can't eat me," he teased, "You'll always find me in time to rescue me."

"Yeah," she said, "I'll find you."

"Always?" he asked. She kissed him again, if only to remind herself this was, in fact, her reality.

"Always, James. Always."

Snow White and Rumpelstiltskin found the dwarves old cottage in the forest and restored it, keeping Snow White's cottage as a guest house for any visitors brave enough to wander into the deep forest. He took over Mr. Fox's teaching and was quickly bringing Snow White into the modern era. Scarlet and Adam lived a few miles away with their pack of wolves… and children.

Mr. Fox closed his bookstore and donated his entire collection to the King's library. He had planned on retiring, but was offered the position of Master Librarian and found he could not refuse. His waistcoats were now all gold with ruby buttons and he had a smoking robe and cap. He married a slightly younger vixen who was as dedicated to knowledge as he. Mrs. Fox also had the curious habit of gallivanting about the castle wearing naught but a sword in its sheath. No one ever bothered to ask why.

Beauty and Edward had their stereotypical happily ever after. The wedding was grand, the dress garish, and Beauty apologized for never being supportive of Katherine, but had sworn she knew she was a princess from the moment they had met. And, just to prove to everyone and herself how brave she was, Beauty broke the tradition handed down by her family from one generation to the next and did not name her daughter Beauty, Belle, Bella, or anything of the sort. Instead, she named her Juliet. Rumpelstiltskin had made some offhand comment about a boy named Romeo, but he was quickly silenced by Katherine who demanded he stop reading into people's futures. He agreed, but on one condition.

Prince Charmant, well, he was quickly made King and found that King Charming didn't have quite the same ring as Prince Charming, so Katherine eventually acquiesced and started calling him James on a regular basis. And he ruled as a just and good king advised by just and good friends who supported his decisions and made sure he had fun every now and then. After a few scares, everyone grew accustomed to his midnight rendezvous beneath a particular oak tree with a certain raven haired girl.

And as for that raven haired girl, she grew into an even more beautiful woman and became known throughout the kingdom as fairer than the fairest of them all. She also married the king and constantly teased him about ogres and stew much to the befuddlement of, well, everyone. And she kept him in line and made sure he didn't get lost and when he did genuinely get lost, she was always the one to find him and loved him despite all his flaws in a way only a queen can love her king. And finally, with the help of a very old Mr. Fox, she wrote a story about a girl named Katherine who was a brave Huntswoman who fell in love, had a thousand year adventure, and later found her love again beneath a great oak tree. And also followed the advice of Rumpelstiltskin and avoided arguing with her husband about the name of their daughter and just agreed to call her Sophia. Which prevented them from naming her something outrageous like Fortuna or Rapunzel. And naturally, she broke every fairytale law by doing whatever she damn well pleased. Well, there was one law she didn't break.

Because she did live happily ever after.

The End.

BrokenJay BRONZE, Middletown, Ohio
1 article 1 photo 10 comments

"To die would be an awfully big adventure."

I seriously fell in love with this!!!

carissathestoryteller GOLD, Bremen, Georgia

Remember... that each child is a separate person. Yours forever, but never fully yours. She can never be all you wished or wanted or all you know she could be. But she will be a better human being if you can let her be herself. ~Stella Chess

This was amazing! I literally couldn't stop reading, and almost cried when she wanted to go back to sleep!!! Best story on here, by FAR! (No offense to other authors...) The love and thought put into this book was overwhelming. Keep on writing! <3

Aecnboo said...
Aecnboo, South Lebanon, Ohio

It's not the distance that defines our love, just the strength that keeps us together. -Anne Neal

I loved it! My mom even got interested! Couldn't stop reading till the very end

Jaguar17 said...
This book is so god damn great! I love it! I think it one of my favourite stories ever!

The_Cheese said...
The_Cheese, Dalton, Georgia

Life is not worth living without three things, 1.Chocolate 2.Love and my personal favorite 3.Mistakes.

CAN U PLEASE ADD MORE!!!!!!!!!!!

Lilybird SILVER, Lexington, Massachusetts

sometimes you put up walls not to keep people out, but to see who cares to break them down.

Oh never mind, haha, I finished it and it all makes sense now :P THIS IS SO GOOD! I really enjoyed this!

Wow, I love love love the plot and the way you're going about this with all the characters. It's a really unique idea and I'm so excited to read more. So far, I'm only on the 3rd page, but I have a little question. Is Katherine the daughter of "a Vain Queen and a Huntsman" or "Snow White and a huntsman"? Because on page 2 you say the first one, but on page 3, Snow White is Katherine's mother. Just a little confused there, it would be nice to clear that up :) Thanks!

CrazyGirl101 said...
I absolutely loved it even though it did move a little too fast for my taste. Keep up the writing!