Mystyc | Teen Ink

Mystyc

February 21, 2012
By BeautifulDisaster16, Ogallala, Nebraska
More by this author
BeautifulDisaster16, Ogallala, Nebraska
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Many people die with their music still in them. Too often it is because they are always getting ready to live. Before they know it, time runs out."
- Oliver Wendell Holmes


I wake up, sweaty, fragments of a memory surging through my scrambled brain. At first, I don’t know where, when or who I am, but gradually I remember.

My legs are tangled in the blankets on the hospital bed. Holding my head and squinting my eyes while wincing at the sound of the beeping machines and the bright lights that lit up the room. I look over at the bed next to me and see Alex sleeping, I whisper, “Alex!” she didn’t move. I search the room for something to throw and couldn’t find anything, so I took my pillow and threw it at her, she woke up. The only things I could remember was Alex and watching the bus go up in flames with Trumaine trapped inside, unconscious. We couldn’t get in to help him before the bus blew up, then everything went black. I asked Alex, “What happened? How did we get here?”

She replies, “I remember awakening and asking the guy that was helping me what happened and then I looked over at you and they told me that you were dead, I started to cry and yell out your name then he told me they were trying to revive you, everything went black again.”

I ask, “Is Trumaine okay?”

Alex said, “No…He’s…D-Dead…” I lay there staring at the wall in front of me, a tear running down my cheek.

My thoughts were interrupted when a nurse came in and said, “Look who’s finally up. We thought you were never going to wake up.”

I ask her, “What day is it today?”

The nurse replied, “Friday. It’s been a week since your accident. You hit your head pretty hard.” I laid there looking around the room and searching for my phone, but I can’t find it so I ask the nurse. She looks at me then walks over to a bag full of clothes and pulls out a cell phone and asks, “Is this it?” I nod. She hands me the phone as I tell her ‘thank you’. I slide my phone open and see 20 new messages and 12 missed calls. Some from my brother and sister and some from Jay. I call Jay but there is no answer, so I leave a voicemail. The nurse gives me a shot and the room goes dark.

I’m dreaming, dreaming about Jay, Alex, Trumaine, school, my parents, Jacob and Emily. I’m lying in the grass looking up at the sky, sun beating down on my skin blinding me. I close my eyes and picture Alex and me at the park playing baseball with Jacob, Emily, Trumaine, Jay and a bunch of people from school. I’m up to bat and Jacob is pitching, he throws a curve ball and I hit it clear out of the park. Everyone yells “HOMERUN!” I’m running around the bases, sweating from the heat and laughing, I turn to go to 3rd and I fall, suddenly a sharp pain is climbing up my leg and into my side and I can’t get up. Jay rushes over to me and tries to help me. The pain grows in my side; feels like I’m being stabbed and they are dragging the knife up my side. Jay carefully picks me up and carries me to his car. I’m sweating and screaming from the pain. Everything goes black. I open my eyes and Jay is standing over me smiling. He says “Hey you look more beautiful than ever today.” I get up and give him a kiss and say, “Thanks.” We talk to his car and he opens the passenger door for me. He gives me a kiss on the cheek and says, “I wanna show you something,” I smile at him and get in. He closes the door and walks around the car. While he gets in the driver seat, he starts the car, and puts on his seat belt. Quickly he pops in my favorite CD and we drive off. I ask, “Where are we going?” Jay looks at me, smiles and says, “It’s a surprise. You’re going to love it.” I turn in my seat and stare out the windshield. My favorite song comes on so I turn it up and start to sing along. We are cruising down the highway and coming to a stoplight, Jay slows down and it turns green. As we gradually speed up we are going through an intersection, I look out my window and scream “Jay look out!” The car hits us and everything goes black for a few seconds. When I wake up I’m laying on the ground bleeding and can’t move my left side. I look around for Jay but I don’t see him anywhere. I call out his name but no one answers. I call out “Jay! Where are you?! Jay!” I hear someone call out “Jaymee!” I look around and I see Jay laying by the car I yell “Jay! Can you move!?” He replies, “Barely!” “Try and get up!” I said, he tries, but he fails, he tries again and he gets to his feet and limps over to me. I search for his hand and when I find it I intertwine my fingers in his and say “Jay I can’t move the left side of my body.” He says, “I know baby. I know.” And he leans down and kisses me, with tears running down my face mixed with blood. I kiss him back. I let go of his hand and put my arm around his neck and pull him closer to me. After what seemed like 10 minutes he pulls away and says, “You’ll be okay.” He gives me another kiss and gets up and watches as the paramedics lift me onto a gurney and lift me into the ambulance. I look at him as I mouth the words “I love you” and then the doors closed and the ambulance pulled away.

I wake up in the hospital. Jay is sitting next to my bed and Alex is sitting in a chair at the foot. Jay looks away from the TV and looks at me and says, “Hey there beautiful. How are you feeling?” I answer, “I’m ok. In some pain.” He kisses my hand and says, “I told you that you were going to be ok.” I look at him and smile as a nurse walks in with my clothes.

She said, “You are well enough to go home now, here are your clothes. I’ll let you get dressed and I’ll meet you right outside.” Jay and Alex leave the room and I get dressed and go outside. Jay greets me with a kiss on the cheek. The nurse is talking to the doctor and writing something down. She walks over to me and hands me 2 pieces of paper. One is a prescription for painkillers and the other one is what I can and can’t do for the next 2 months. Summer is almost over and school is about to start. I’ll be a junior and school will be more complicated. Jay drives me home and walks me to the door. He says, “I’ll see you tomorrow,” and kisses me goodbye then adds, “I love you.” I say, “I love you too.” He gets in his car and drives away. I go up to my room and fall on my bed. I close my eyes as I drift to sleep.

As I lay in the hospital, my eyes shut I can hear Alex talking to my parents, I slowly open my eyes and I see my parents rush over to me and say. “She’s awake.” I search the room and ask for Jay. My parents don’t know where he is I look at my phone. No new messages or missed calls. I call Jay but no answer. A tear running down my face I ask where he is once more. My parents look at one another then look at me, crying I ask, “What’s going on? Where’s Jay?” I look over at Alex as tears filled her eyes, then we hear a knock on the door and my mom went and answered the door. A police officer walks in and greets me with a handshake and asks, “Are you Jaymee?” with tears running down my face and my voice cracking I answer, “Yes. Is there something wrong officer?” The officer looks at my parents and says, “I’m officer Porter,” he looks back at me and adds, “do you know a boy named Jay Daniels?” I nod; the officer adds “well we got a report of a car accident involving a 16 year old boy and a 11 year old girl early this morning. He was on his way to school with his little sister when a car turned the corner and hit him head on. There were no survivors. He was thrown from his car.” I burst into tears as the officer says, “I’m so sorry but he’s gone.” I ordered everyone out of the room, the officer, my parents, Alex’s parents, my brother and my sister. They shut the door behind them and I cry even more. I look at my phone and the picture of him and I was set as my background. I slide my phone shut and threw it at the wall. It shatters and Alex looks at me and says, “Jaymee, I’m so so sorry. I’m here for you.” I glare at her and say, “Shut the hell up!” I grab a sharp object and throw it at her, but missed. A nurse walked in and said, “You both can go home now. Here are your clothes. I’ll be right outside when your finished getting dressed.” She leaves the room and closes the door. I get up and limp over to the clothes and go in the bathroom and shut the door. I sit there on the floor of the bathroom and cry. I’m thinking about the good times Jay and I had, the fights and the bad times. I think about my life without him, how much I love him and want him here with me. I get dressed and go out in the hall and talk to my parents. I can’t stop crying. I miss him too much. I reach up and grab my necklace, the necklace he gave me for my birthday. Alex comes out and I give her a hug. I start to cry even more and I fall to my knees, the thought of him being gone is tearing me apart inside. I can’t take it anymore. I love him to death.

The next day at school, I walk down the hall to my locker with Alex; everyone is staring at me and whispering in their friends’ ear. Jay’s locker was right next to mine, the way it has been since our freshman year. I look at his locker, all decorated in stuff like; we will miss you. We love you Jay. Rest in Peace. Everyone signed his locker, including the teachers and coaches. There is a little space in the middle, just big enough for me to sign it. I sign it; “I’ll miss you and keep you in my heart forever. I love you. Love, Jaymee.” I wipe my tears away and open my locker and grab my Calculus book and head to class. I sit in my seat next to Alex. I look at the empty desk in front of me. I think about all the times me and Jay had in class, when he gave me his notes because I had missed class the day before, his perfect smile every morning when I sat down. My thoughts were interrupted when I heard someone say something to me and then Alex throws a piece of paper at me. I awaken from my daydream and say, “What do you want?” I look at the guy standing in front of me, tall and muscular, his golden hair spiked up, his beautiful blue eyes, and his more than perfect smile. He says, “Hey my name is Xavier. What’s yours?” I look down at my calculus book, a tear running down my face, I mumble, “Jaymee” he says, “I’m sorry. Did I do something wrong? I didn’t mean to make you cry.” Alex looks at me and says, “It wasn’t you, it’s just…her boyfriend used to sit there.” Xavier asks, “Where is her boyfriend?” Before I burst into tears I grabbed my book bag and ran out the door. I threw my stuff on the floor and fell to my knees.

Back in the classroom Xavier asks, “What did I do? Was it something I did? Was it something I said?” Alex says, “No, it wasn’t you or anything you said, her boyfriend was killed in a car accident yesterday morning.” “Oh, I’m so sorry. I can sit somewhere else if you want. I don’t want to make anyone upset or anything,” said Xavier. Alex says running out the door, “No, its fine, she’ll get over it eventually.”

The next day I’m laying in bed staring up at the ceiling, I heard my mom call my name so I get up and go downstairs. I get halfway down the stairs and I see my mom standing next to Xavier smiling. My mom says, “This nice looking boy is very polite, did you know that Jaymee?” “Mom!” I said. Xavier hands me a bouquet of red roses and says, “I’m very sorry for yesterday.” “It’s okay,” I said. My mom looks at me and says, “Jaymee...” I look at Xavier and say, ”Thanks for the roses. They’re very pretty.” He says, “Your welcome.” We go out onto the deck and sit down. I say, “I’m sorry about my mom. She just a little to happy to think I’ve already moved on.” he says, “Its okay.” He smiles at me and adds, “I wasn’t really paying attention. I was looking at your beautiful blue eyes.” I bite my lip, smile and say, “Thank you.” “I actually came to ask you something. Are you doing anything tonight? I know it’s last minute but I really wanna get to know you,” says Xavier. I get up and walk over to the stairs and sit down a tear running down my cheek. He gets up and comes and sits next to me. “I didn’t mean to make you cry. I wasn’t meaning to. You don’t have to go out with me tonight. I’ll get over it sooner or later.” Xavier said. I turned and faced him, tears running down my cheek. He reaches up and wipes away my tears and looks into my eyes and smiles. I’m looking into his beautiful blue eyes, so shiny that I can see my own reflection in them. I move my eyes down to his smile. He has a perfect smile. I smile back at him and he removes a strand of hair from my face and tucks it behind my ear. He leans in and kisses me. Without thinking I kiss him back. The whole time I’m thinking about Jay and when he first kissed me. He pulls away and smiles at me again and looks back in my eyes. I bite my lip and stare at his lips. I lean in to kiss him again. This time I’m thinking about his soft lips against mine. I pull away and scoot closer to him. He puts his arms around me and I sit there in his arms. I say, “Yes.” Xavier confused says, “yes?” “Yes. I’ll go out with you tonight.” I said. Smiling Xavier asks, “How does 8:00 sound?” I answer, “sounds great.” sitting there on the stairs in his arms thinking yesterday I was crying because I lost Jay. Today I kiss a guy and sit in his arms. Happy. Smiling.

I kiss him goodbye and run inside to get ready. I take a shower and wrap myself in a towel and call Alex. She comes right over and helps me pick out something to wear for my date with Xavier later tonight. I’m panicking because he’s gonna be here in an hour and I haven’t even done my hair yet. So, while Alex is trying to find something for me to wear I run into the bathroom and plug in my straightener and start blow-drying my hair. Alex calls out, “Jaymee! I think I found something!” I run from the bathroom into my bedroom and she found the cutest outfit, so I put it on and run and do my hair and make-up. Right as I get done putting on my lip gloss, the doorbell rings and my mom calls, “Jaymee! Xavier is here!” I grab my purse and go downstairs. His golden hair is spiked up just like that day at school. He smiles and said, “You look really beautiful,” and hands me a rose. I smile and say, “Thanks, you look great.” He walks me to his truck and opens the door for me. I smile and get in. He goes around to his side and gets in and starts his truck and we drive off.


The next morning I’m lying in my bed thinking about my date with Xavier. He took me out to eat and then to a movie. I had the best time and I want to do it again. It’s Saturday and there is nothing to do, so I call Alex and ask if she wants to hang out. We met up at the beach and we sit there in the sun and watch all the guys walk by, watch them play with their dogs and watch little kids build sand castles. This guy comes up to Alex and says, “Hey my name is Nick. I saw you sitting here sitting in the hot sun and thought you could use a drink.” Suddenly my phone starts ringing and I look to see who it is and its Xavier. I answer it and he says, “Hey do you wanna hang out today? I answer, “Well I’m with Alex, but she looks like she’s busy so I’ll ask if it’ll be okay.” I ask Alex, “Hey is it okay if I go hang out with Xavier? You and Nick look like your kinda busy anyway?” she says, “Yeah sure. Have fun and stay outta trouble love you,” I yell as I’m leaving “Love you too!” I tell Xavier to meet me at the diner in 20 minutes. I run to my car and dig through my purse to find my keys and I start it and pull out of the parking lot and head for the diner. I turn on my stereo and pop in a CD and jam out to some hip-hop music. I come to a stop light and some of my friends pull up beside me so I put down the top on my car and yell, ”Hey guys!” and they look at me and yell, ”Hey!” the light turns green and I speed away. I pull into the parking lot at the diner and find a parking spot. I run inside and Xavier says, “Hey over here!” I look and I walk over to him. He stands up and kisses me and we sit down. A waitress comes over and says, “What would you two want today?” Xavier ordered a chocolate milk shake and asks, “What would you like?” I said, “The same” he then says, “make that 2 milk shakes” and the waitress says, “I’ll be right back with your orders.” He smiles and says, “So, I wanted to ask you something but now isn’t the right time to ask you.” I smile. He adds “how are you today?” “I’m good, how about you?” I reply. He replies with a smile, “Couldn’t be better” “why is that?” I ask. He says, “Well for many reasons. The first one is you’re my girlfriend. The second is because you look very beautiful today. The third reason is I wanna ask you something.” He smiles and then laughs. “What are you laughing at?” I ask. Laughing he says, “Nothing, you just look very beautiful today.” “Thank you,” I reply with a smile.

We sit there in silence for a few minutes then he pulls out an envelope and sets it on the table in between us. I look up at him and ask, “What’s that?” smiling he says, “Open it.” I pick up the envelope and open it. Inside are 2 tickets to prom. I look up at him and, still smiling, he asks, “Will you go to prom with me?” “Yes” I replied with a smile. He leans across the table and presses his lips against mine. He pulls away, takes out his wallet and pulls out a $10 bill and lays it on the table. He gets up and holds out his hand. I hesitate for a moment thinking then I grab his hand and we walk slowly out to my car. He turns and faces me. He takes my hands and wraps them around his neck. He wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me close to him then whispers in my ear, “Did you know you look very beautiful today?” He pulls back then leans down and presses his lips against mine. He pulls away, opens my car door and says, “I’ll call you later.” Then gives me another quick kiss and walks to his truck. I get in and shut the door. I sit there for a moment staring out the windshield smiling. I start the car, put my seat belt on, put the car in gear then pull out of the parking lot. While I’m driving I’m thinking about how happy I have been since the moment I looked at Xavier. I have almost completely forgotten about Jay. When I get home I get out my laptop and start to do homework. I look at my calendar and we have a little over 2 more months of school left. Prom is in 2 weeks and graduation is still a long ways away. I look at the letter from the University of Louisiana and remember that Jay and I both got in. Now, I’m not sure if I still want to go or if I want to go to Vanderbilt. They are both great schools. Alex applied to Vanderbilt and got in. I’m still waiting for the letter. We promised each other that if only one of us got in we would still visit each other and keep in contact. Xavier never mentioned if he’s going to college or not. He did mention that he wants to open his own mechanic shop. I was startled when I heard a knock on my door. I ask, “Who is it?” “It’s mom” my mom replied. I get up and open the door and go back to my desk and sit down. She comes in with my dad following behind. She says, “We need to talk.” I look at them with a worried look on my face. My mom starts out, “Jaymee,” I answer, “yeah.” My dad says, “We were gonna tell you sooner but you have a lot you’re dealing with. With the accident, Jay, prom, Xavier, graduation. You just seemed so busy we never got the chance to tell you.” I ask, “Tell me what?” My mom replies, “You’re adopted” I look at them like, ‘you have got to be kidding me’, I say, “you’re kidding right?” My dad answers, “no, we’re not kidding. You’re very much adopted.” With my eyes starting to water I ask, “What happened to my real parents?” My mom says, “When you were born your parents got divorced. After a few months your mother got sick, so she sent you to live with your father. A few months later she died. Your father took care of you as best as he could. About a year after your mom died, your father was diagnosed with cancer. He died 3 months later. No one else in your family would take you in. We saw an ad in the paper about a little girl that was in need of a home. We contacted child services and talked to them about adopting you. When we saw you we knew you were the perfect child for us. We signed papers and took you home with us a couple days later and we raised and loved you like you were our own child.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 4 comments.


on May. 17 2012 at 1:28 am
BeautifulDisaster16, Ogallala, Nebraska
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Many people die with their music still in them. Too often it is because they are always getting ready to live. Before they know it, time runs out."
- Oliver Wendell Holmes

thanks! it means a lot to me! :)

sam_101 BRONZE said...
on May. 13 2012 at 1:08 pm
sam_101 BRONZE, ......................, Other
2 articles 0 photos 50 comments
nice. keep it up

on May. 13 2012 at 1:05 pm
BeautifulDisaster16, Ogallala, Nebraska
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Many people die with their music still in them. Too often it is because they are always getting ready to live. Before they know it, time runs out."
- Oliver Wendell Holmes

I'm trying to finish it so people can read the whole thing! 

on May. 13 2012 at 12:56 pm
anavit15 SILVER, Naperville, Illinois
5 articles 0 photos 19 comments

ok now i really want to read this book!