The Chosen | Teen Ink

The Chosen

May 21, 2013
By Anonymous

Author's note: This piece was inspired by the book The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness, and I hope readers will get the message that fate is never sealed in stone from this book.

At school, we were told the story of how our world began. Back in the old days, people used to worship the gods daily. The gods in heaven were very pleased with mankind, so they gave them a gift: the gift of technology. Humans built all kinds of machines to do things for them and soon they didn’t hafta do nothin at all. They started thinkin they was all that and forgot the gods almost completely. That made the gods pretty angry; they don’t like being forgotten much. The king of the gods, Abbas, devised a plan with the help of the other gods. He decided that if he wiped everything out, the people would go back to worshippin them again. So they used the people on the other side of the world as their army and gave them information ‘bout all kinds of nasty weapons to kill us. And in turn we used our brains to create terrifying machines to kill them. Everything was destroyed, including most of the people. Our people were lost and afraid and didn’t know what to do. Dema, the queen of the gods, felt sorry for mankind and sent them a savior; one who could guide them in the right path and tell them their fate set by the gods so they wouldn’t anger them no more. That man was the Oracle.
But Teach just told us that stuff ‘cause it’s what everyone’s sposed to believe. Every time he looks at me, his eyes are cold and empty-like and it sends a chill down my back and I get the goose bumps; the gods couldn’t have sent a man like that to us. His glance makes me think that he can see right through me, like he knows all ‘bout me and my opinions of him. Probably ‘cause I have a hard time holding everything inside of me and I usually end up blurting out everything in my head.
When I was six, Mother and Pa took me to a town meeting and the Oracle spoke ‘bout how the gods have instructed him to build a new shrine for the goddess of night, Layali. He talked ‘bout how it was to be built and what was to be used. We were told to leave a pound of grain per family inside the shrine once a month and she would protect our fields at night from the demons of the forest. I thought it was stupid, and so I blurted out that he was full of baloney and it was the stupidest thing I ever heard ‘cause the gods don’t eat people food. Everyone had turned to glare at me and since then the Oracle has always been watching me. And since then, I aint got to go to meetings anymore; Mother and Pa just let me stay home and take care of the cattle.
I like taking care of the cattle; they’re real peaceful and quiet creatures, they keep me calm. At school, Teach says I have a hard time with calming down after I get mad, but at home I just come out to the cattle and then whoosh, all better. When I’m not with them, I go exploring inside the forest. The Oracle has forbidden anyone from goin inside there ‘cause all the demons and monsters in there, but I still haven’t found a single one in there.
The sun was already starting to set as I shoveled hay into the troughs; the cool wind felt nice and prevented me from sweating. I looked across the dry grassy plain and listened to the sound of the wind rustling through it; this place was much better than any old stinkin meeting.
“Naooomiii,” the wind carried Mother’s voice farther than it ever needed to go. I sighed, quickly finished my work, and ran off towards home. If I didn’t get there fast enough, Mother would have a fit and nag me til my ears were ringin. The sturdy log house was soon in sight, and I washed up real good outside in the water trough before opening the door.
“Naomi, where have you been?” Mother asked, hands going immediately to her hips as soon as she had set down the stew and biscuits, “I’ve been calling you. Dinner is ready. Would you look at you clothes? They’re all dirty. Why can’t you wear pretty dresses and behave like a normal girl?”
I sat down at the crowded table next to Pa. “Dresses only get in the way,” I commented, “I wanna be able to move around freely. Besides, Pa gets to wear whatever he wants.”
Pa choked a bit on his biscuit and shifted his eyes warily at Mother. I shoulda kept my mouth shut.
“Your father is a man,” she chided, “You are a young lady, and young ladies are supposed to wear nice dresses and do other ladylike things, like not talking with your mouth full.”
I closed my mouth and chewed up all my food, but had nothing to say back to her. We ate the rest of the meal in silence; I figured I not oughta say anything else to get her goin at me again.
“Naomi,” Mother said softly as I helped her clean up, “Do you know what tomorrow is?”
“Nope, is it somethin special?”
“Tomorrow the Oracle will decide the Chosen one is, it’s been three years,” he voice quavered, “You have to go tomorrow to the meeting.”
“Okay,” I muttered, “But I aint gonna like it.”
Every three years since the Great War ended 48 years ago, a person is chosen to be sacrificed to the gods for the sake of the people and their crops. They are the Chosen; though a better name would be the Forgotten ‘cause no one ever remembers them after six months or so. Abbas demands a sacrifice to be happy and not start another war, so we happily kill someone. Another reason why the Oracle can't be real; if killin someone is a-okay for no real reason, there’s something wrong.
After cleanin everything up, Mother and Pa kneeled down and thanked the god of harvest, Shakir, for the meal and prayed to Layali to protect our farm from the demons of the forest. I knelt with them, but I wasn’t really prayin all that hard.
“Naomi, it’s time ya get off to bed an’ git some sleep,” Pa said and pulled me into a bear hug. I lightly hugged my mother, and climbed up the small ladder up to the loft where I slept.
As I lay in bed, I thought a lot ‘bout the whole Chosen thing. It seemed to always be someone I wasn’t too familiar with, though I knew their names. I tried to remember each of their faces, either their pictures that Mother had showed me before or from my own mind. I wondered if anyone else was tryin to remember them, or if they had really been forgotten by everyone...

The town square was crowded with people; just as expected everyone was here. I assumed everyone always came to the town meetings, but since I never go to ‘em I couldn’t say for sure. Meetings were held once or twice a month, mostly just to listen to what the Oracle had to say ‘bout everyone and get together with the neighbors and catch up; it seemed very mundane; climbing trees was much more fun. Teach had taught me the word mundane, ‘cause all I ever said was things were stupid, so he decided to teach me to use mundane ‘cause I sound a lot smarter sayin it. All I could see as we transitioned from the dirt road and grassy plain onto the town square was a sea of dark-haired people, like my own hair color.
Our town square was nothin special; there were some crumblin cobblestones that outlined the official parameters of the square acre on which it say, and a rotten bulletin board where the news was posted, though no one ever really read it ‘cause word gets around a small town real fast so everyone knows the news before they even get close to the bulletin board.
The real sight was the town hall; the old brick building was massive; big enough to probably fit the whole town in it. It looked plain and ancient from the outside, but it was the biggest building that remained from before the Great War so the inside was kept up real good by the Women’s Committee, who kept our town proper and orderly, which was why Mother joined them last spring. It was also where the Oracle lived, and the rumors said inside was filled with the finest things anyone has ever seen. ‘Course no one was allowed to go inside past the lobby because the rest of it was “sacred ground” and only the Oracle could pass. It was where he talked with the gods he says, but I think it just where he keeps his nice things where we can’t see them.
Mother and Pa shuffled their way into the heart of the crowd, dragging me behind them. It was hard to move around in the stupid flower print dress and shoes Mother made me wear, ‘cause apparently ladies aren’t allowed to wear pants and boots; what she didn’t know is I had snuck some pants and a shirt underneath for my own peace of mind. Mother held her head high as Pa lumbered between everyone; she looked sophisticated in her best dress, her hair tightly pulled back into a bun. Mother always said that people were always judging you; especially when the Oracle would see you. We had spent an hour combing through my messy hair, fine-tuning everything ‘bout my appearance. I could have cared less, but Pa said Mother would have a fit if I didn’t look presentable. It wasn’t fair; Pa got to wear his working overalls and boots to the meeting. She had made him scrub up good and trim his stubble so he didn’t look as scruffy, but not as much as I had to do.
“This meeting is very important, Naomi, we have to look our best,” Mother nagged, “I want people to look at us and say: ‘There goes Rhoda and Zachariah…and who is that well-behaved girl with them? Why, its little Naomi all grown up; they sure did a good job raising her right.’ Is that so much to ask for?”
As she scurried off to go prepare herself, Pa had stumbled in and leaned in real close so she wouldn’t hear from the other room. “Just put up with yer Ma this one time, an’ then yer free to go roam ‘round as much as ya want,” the warmth from his husky whisper tickled my ear. “I got ya a little somethin, for all yer hard work you’ve been doin ‘round the farm.”
He pressed something into my palm and left as awkwardly as he had entered. I opened my hand and saw a ring. There was a brilliant blue stone set in the middle of a ring of ivy leaves. It was beautiful, and looked rather expensive. I was sure Pa had spent a lot of effort trying to make a decision on what to get, and just that part meant a great deal to me.
I wore that ring now, fidgeting with it, trying my best not to scratch myself; the dress was incredibly itchy and I was reaching my patience with it. There was an excited buzz coming from all over, waiting for the Oracle to appear from the front doors and save us all with his tellings of the future. Finally, the doors creaked open a tad, and the crowd erupted in cheers and hollers. He sauntered out slowly and as he appeared to us, the cheering amplified; I covered my ears in disdain. I could faintly see tears of joy and reverence appearing in the corners of Mother’s eyes; it made me feel slightly ill.
“My good people,” he began, and instantly the crowd silenced with the raising of his hand, “As always I am pleased to see you doing well. Our crops have been looking good thanks to the gods. We owe our very lives to their benevolence in sparing us from their wicked wrath. Unfortunately, this is the year of the Chosen. The gods have demanded another sacrifice to be made, and they have told me who it must be. I begged Dema herself to spare us this ritual, but she concluded that Abbas would not listen to such a plea, so my efforts were in vain. It is a sad thing that must happen, but, friends, I tell you this; he whom is Chosen by the gods should be honored, and will be honored by us that remain after their passing. It is time to reveal the Chosen one.”
Everyone began to fidget and hold their small children close. Mother reached behind her to grab my hand and elbowed Pa sharply to do the same. I wasn’t worried ‘bout it being me, because things do not happen to my family ever, but the way Mother held my hand meant she was worried. I suppose that would be natural, to worry for your own child, but I was slightly irritated with her worry since it wasn’t going to be me.
“The Chosen one is…Naomi Raney.”

My heart stopped as everyone turned to look at me; some of the looks were sympathetic, but most were relieved. Relived that it wasn’t them or their child, relieved that the one who would be gone forever was the rowdy girl who skips meetings and is more like a boy than a lady. Most of the town loved my parents; they were good people who helped out anyone in need. They couldn’t understand how two such lovely people could have spawned such a disrespectful girl. I could see in their faces that my reason for being born was made clear. It wasn’t my parents’ fault for raising such a child, the gods had made me this way so I could die and none of the “good people” would.
I muttered one of Pa’s four letter dirty words under my breath and pulled at the collar of my dress.
Everything in my mind was blurry; I couldn't hold a thought down long enough to know what it was. There was definitely fear, anger and panic, but they became mixed up like someone was churnin butter up in my head. Mother fainted and Pa just barely caught her with his trembling arms. He stood there , confused like I had never seen him before; he looked like he got dropped off in the middle of nowhere and no one told him which way he was supposed to go.
“Please, leave them be,” the Oracle said, bringin the focus back to himself, “I’ll ask that you all return home now, may the gods look upon you in favor.”
It only took a sec for all the people to clear out, like bats scatterin out of a cave when you light a lantern. Then it was just us and him, the distance between us getting smaller and smaller. As he got closer, the hairs on the back of my neck stood straight out and I felt the goosebumps rise. Mother regained consciousness just as he stopped movin.
“I tried to convince them otherwise,” he said, lowering his eyes in shame, “But I was too weak; I was useless in protecting her.”
“That’s not true!” Mother yelled and pushed away from Pa real quick. “I know you did your best, you’re our savior, we all owe our very lives to you!”
The way she threw herself at the Oracle made me sick to my stomach. I felt myself reachin the limit of my control.
The Oracle smiled slightly, “Thank you kindly ma’am. I’m sorry this is how it has to be. We’ll be around to pick her up in the morning.”
“…Of course,” Mother said in a barely audible whisper, “She’ll be ready by then.” The Oracle out a reassuring hand on her shoulder then retreated into the building.
We walked home as the sun set in complete silence, and for the a billionth time, I was wonderin what Mother was thinking, if she even cared ‘bout me. My tummy flipped and landed in a knot just thinking ‘bout it, so I decided it was best not to think at all. We got home and Mother began the preparations for supper. I went straight for the cattle, shoveling their feed into the trough forcefully, not even botherin to look at any of ‘em. As soon as I was done I walked back to the house. Mother prepared cold sandwiches and not even Pa said a word as we ate.
“Naomi…” Mother said in a soft tone, “I-“
I slammed my fists on the table; she flinched. “How could you do it? I’m only 16 for Abbas sake!”
“Dear, we didn’t have a choice-“
“Didn’t have a choice? There’s always a choice!” I shouted.
“The Oracle said-“
“So just like that you’re giving up you only daughter?”
“Noami,” Pa said angrily, but before he could continue Mother stopped him.
“If it weren’t for the Oracle, you wouldn’t even be born!” she shouted, “He was the one-“
“Who told you that you were supposed to marry Pa, I know. I don’t care either. I hope you had a great last night with me I’m going to bed now if you’ll excuse me, goodnight.”
I slowly made my way up the ladder, fighting against the tears that were making it hard to see. I laid in bed, thinking ‘bout what my mother had said. It was true that the Oracle had been the one who set up my parents. Marriages had to be approved by the Oracle because he could see who your life partner was. Mother was in love with another man at the time, and they wanted to get married. They went to the Oracle, and he said it was not her fate to marry him. He told her to marry a man named Zachariah Raney; she had known him from school, but never had paid attention to him. She said that the Oracle saved her from the biggest mistake of her life. She fell more in love with Pa than she had been with that man she says, but when she tells that story, there’s this look of sadness on her face.
I was not the same as my mother; I wasn’t ‘bout to lay down and die and let the Oracle get his way again. I was going to run. The more I thought ‘bout it, the better it sounded. It didn’t matter if we were the only people left in the world or not, I could make it on my own. I crawled out of bed and leaned close to the edge of the loft. I could hear Mother crying, and I felt a pang in my chest. I felt bad for what I had said earlier, but there was no looking back now.

When I was eight my parents gave me a backpack for my birthday. I hadn’t thought of it as a loving present, but at this moment I was glad to have it. I packed an extra set of pants, a shirt, and my warm jacket. I sat on the hard wooden floor until all the lamps were out downstairs and I could plainly hear Pa’s snoring. I quietly slid down the ladder and tiptoed into the kitchen. I put a loaf of bread, some cheese wrapped in a cloth, and a few other items that I couldn’t tell what they were in the dark but was pretty sure they were food, into the bag. I looked back in the direction of my parents’ room and felt a twinge of guilt, but buried it deep down inside of my and snuck out the door. I slipped on my shoes and began to run.
When they discovered I was missing, I was pretty sure they’d come looking for me; the Oracle hates to lose. I had to make as much ground as I could tonight, and lose myself in the forest so they couldn’t find me. I ran through the cattle fields and directly towards the forest. I knew some parts of it by heart, but at night it looked like a whole new place. The oak trees were ominous and looked as if they wanted to grab me. I could feel my heart thumpin away inside my chest as I ran in the darkness. I couldn’t see anythin and I fell more times than I could count, but I kept on running. It seemed like I had been runnin for years but was getting nowhere. I wanted to be back home with Mother and Pa, where I was safe and nobody wanted to kill me. After who knows how long, I had to stop runnin and start breathin. Just to be safe, I climbed up into a big tree to rest.
I don’t remember ever fallin asleep, but the next thing I know I’m wakin up with an awful crick in my back and a grumbling tummy. The birds were singing, and on any other day a person might find it peaceful; ‘cept I was runnin for my life. I ripped off a hunk of bread from one loaf and tried to make it last as much as possible ‘cause I didn’t know where I was gonna get more food when I ran out. I slowly climbed down the tree and started walking to get warmed up. I don’t have time to think ‘bout anythin, just to keep on goin like there’s no tomorrow, and there might be no tomorrow for me if I don’t keep goin. I began to walk faster, and then I started runnin; the only sounds being the birds and the soft thump of my feet hittin the ground with the occasional snap of a twig breakin. After a good while, I felt like there was somebody watchin me. Like I was bein followed and it was startin to give me the creeps. I made myself run faster, but it was like the eyes were still followin me and I couldn’t get away. I stopped runnin and decided fightin ‘em would waste a lot less time than tryin to lose ‘em.
There was a slight rustle in the bushes and I took the opportunity the jump and attack whoever it was. To my surprise, it wasn't one of the men from town, but a weird lookin boy who was probably 12 or 13. He didn't have normal hair; it wasn't dark, but light, like straw or hay, and he had blue eyes, like the color of Mother’s favorite dress. On top of that, he had the cat ears and a tail, poofed up and twitching, of the same color.
“What are you?” I whispered, too surprised to say much else.
“I’m Lionel, please don't hurt me,” he cried, covering his face like a lil child.
“I aint gonna hurt you,” I said and got off of him, “But what exactly are you?”
He looked confused. “I’m a boy, silly. I live in these woods all by myself. My mom used to live here too but she died, so I…wait! Where are you going?” he yelled and scrambled to his feet to catch up with me.
“I didn't ask you for a life story,” I sighed, “I gotta keep movin otherwise they’re gonna kill me.”
“Who’s going to kill you? What’s going on?”
I thought that maybe if I kept real quiet, that he would go away, but he followed me no matter what I did; I couldn't lose the kid.
“What do you want?” I groaned; it had been at least an hour and I couldn't take much more.
“I’ve never seen another person before, especially not one who doesn't have ears and a tail. Please, take me with you; I don't want to be alone anymore…”
As much as I hated to admit it, I was feelin lonely too. I missed Pa and even Mother; havin someone with you wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.
“Fine, you can come with me,” I muttered, “But you better not weigh me down. I’m Naomi and I’m supposed to be sacrificed to save the town from the gods’ wrath, so I ran away and now I’m sure they’re after me so I gotta keep movin til I get outta these woods and start livin on my own out there somewhere.”
Lionel beamed, eyes full of hope, tail and ears twitching with excitement. I began running again, and he kept up without a problem. I started getting a bit competitive, and picked up my pace; he matched it without another thought. I started getting real irritated and continued to push myself, but he wasn’t even breaking a sweat; what a stupid kid.
Lionel stopped running and his golden ears twitched, his head perked up in the direction we had just come from.
“What is it?” I asked in a hushed tone, something ‘bout the way he was acting made me nervous.
“Pounding,” he informed me, “Like…hooves or something…”

“Can you climb a tree?” I asked him in a hurry. I barely gave him a chance to nod before I bolted up the nearest tree, dragging him up with me. I climbed up as many braches as I could while still bein able to partially see the ground.
“Naomi, what’s going on?” Lionel whimpered. I put a hand over his mouth and stared at the ground intently, afaraid to take my eyes offa it.
Sure enough, five men on horses came bustling through the trees. Leadin them was the Oracle.
“Are you sure she went here?” One of the men asked suspiciously.
“I’m sure,” the Oracle said, his voice full of ice that sent shivers down my spine, “The girl’s only option was to go this way, we’ll find her gentlemen, rest assured.”
They continued on their way, horses runnin at full speed. I waited a few more minutes before I let go of Lionel and climbed back down.
“We need to fin another way to get out of these woods,” I said quickly, “Can you find us one?”
“Sure,” he stuttered, “But I don’t understand what’s going on at all.”
“We can talk and run.”
“Okay, who are the gods, Naomi?” he asked innocently.
I stumbled over a branch and looked at him like he was crazy, which doesn't mean he wasn't.
“How do you not know ‘bout the gods? They created this world; they’re the ones that made everything how it is. You know, there’s Abbas and Dema, and lots more.”
“My mama never told me anything about them,” he pouted, “Why do you have to die?”
I sighed, “Well, the gods demand that somebody be sacrificed every three years so that they aren't forgotten, and so they don't have to start another war and kill everybody again. This time it was me who was the Chosen, but the Oracle is full of baloney so I don't know what to believe anymore.”
“Naomi, who’s the Oracle?”
I ended up havin to explain almost everythin I knew to him, and all the talking made it harder to run; we had to take one break to eat a bit of bread and cheese, but that was all we had time for; I was scared that if we stopped they would catch me for sure.
We pushed on through the night, and even though Lionel was tired, he kept up with me. I still wasn’t sure who or what he was, but somethin ‘bout him reminded me of myself, so I was sure I could trust him. It took us another day or so to get out of the woods, and all the food I had brought was gone. Seein the edge of the forest was almost like a miracle. Just another things the Oracle lied ‘bout; aint no demons in that forest, just a lil cat boy.
What I saw, I didn’t ever expect to see. I stopped frozen in my tracks, and Lionel’s eyes bugged way out of his skull. It was a city. Well, what looked like the ruins of a city we had seen in our school books. Teach had said that there was nothin left but our town. What if there were more people? This could prove that the Oracle was all wrong, and I could go home. I began runnin, even though my legs were so tired I felt like I could barely walk; I had finally gotten a break, praise Abbas! I ran onto a cracked cement road and followed it into all the chunks of broken buildings and things, hollerin like there was no tomorrow.
“Hello? Is there anyone here? Hellllooooo?”
“Why’re you makin such a fuss now, child?” the oldest woman I had ever seen stepped out of the shadows in a yellow slicker, and a small group of people steadily came out as we.
My legs gave out under me and I almost fell, but Lionel somehow caught me and held me up with his skinny lil arms.
“Thank Abbas, there are other people alive,” I sighed.
The old woman gave me a peculiar look. “Abbas? You from Kiltealy child?”
“Yeah?”
There were a lot of hushed whispers from the people, none of them soundin all too friendly. I wasn’t sure what was goin on, but I didn’t think I was welcome here.
“I think you ought to leave now,” she said in a low voice, “Kiltealy is a condemned place. You best go back where you came from.”
These peoples’ attitudes were startin to get real irritatin. “Look,” I growled, “I aint goin back ‘cause if I do they’ll kill me! I don’t think kindly of the Oracle, he’s lyin to everyone! The gods couldn’t have possibly sent him; they wouldn’t send such a man!”
“Child, you don’t even know half the truth,” she sighed.
“Tell her, Mary Elizabeth,” a voice from the crowd urged.
“Yes, do tell me.”
The old woman threw up her arms, “Very well. I’m sure you were told that long ago the gods were upset with the people for forgetting them and they caused this giant war right? Wrong. The gods don’t exist, they’re just a tool that the Oracle uses to keep people in check. If that’s what you believe in go ahead and believe that, just don’t believe the Oracle. The Great War was caused by humanity alone. We built up our technology, and we tried to take over the rest of the world, but they had just as powerful weapons as we did. We ended up destroying each other, the survivors scattered, most fled from the cities, but some of us stayed. That man you call the Oracle, he was never sent by the gods. All he wanted was power, he was a leader in our army, but after the war he wasn't satisfied anymore. He was the one who ordered the human testing, which is why your little friend here looks like a cat. So he created that little town of his, isolated from the rest of humanity, where he could hold absolute power. The rest of us condemned his little town for killing its own people.”
“But the Chosen is a sacrifice to the gods...” I stammered.
“Don't you get it?” a man yelled, “He just says they need to sacrifice someone to keep all the power he’s got!”
“Then help me,” I shouted, “If you come with me, together we can free everybody from him! The people in Kiltealy, they have no idea that any of this is goin on. They're innocent, but if you tell them what’s really goin on, they'll listen to you. Shoot, just seein that there’s more than just them will make them believe you. Please, come with me back to my town, help us.”
“No,” Mary Elizabeth said firmly, “I will not put anyone in danger. We just want peaceful lives.”
“But we need you.”
“I’m sure you’ll find a way without us, child. Just leave us be and git on goin.”
“You, you’re all so…so…mundane!” I cried, “I’ll do it myself I don't need your help.”
“Mundane isn’t the right word to use,” the old hag corrected.
“Shut up,” I mumbled and stomped away, back in the direction I had come.
“Naomi, wait for me,” Lionel stumbled over the rubble as he tried to catch up.
“Go away Lionel, it’s probably best that you stay with them. They know a lot ‘bout you it sounds like, they can probably help you more than I can.”
“You heard Mary Elizabeth right? This Oracle guy, he’s the one who made Mama and I like this; we lived inside the woods because Mama said that people without ears would kill us. It’s his fault Mama died. I wanna help you.”
“Get out of here now!” I demanded.
Lionel’s ears flattened back on his head real sad like, but he made no more effort to follow me. Stupid people. Stupid stupid idiot people. I marched right back into the woods, and was sure that it’d only take me a day or two to get back. There was one thing I had forgotten when I got mad: the Oracle was after me. It wasn't even 10 minutes before someone grabbed my arm and pulled me up on a horse.
“Got her!” the man yelled, and after everyone had gathered ‘round him, and the Oracle gave me an icy smile again. On horseback, it only took an afternoon to get back. I was thrown into the jail in the basement of the town hall.

It was then that I allowed myself to cry for the first time since the town meeting. I cried ‘cause I was so stupid; all that runnin away was for nothing ‘cause now I was just gonna die. I cried for Mother and Pa; I’d never see them again and they’d go on believin the lies. I cried ‘cause the last time I saw Mother I had hurt her. It was like all the regret from all the stupid things I've done got together inside of me and all came out at once in the shape of tears. I musta been real tired, ‘cause at some point I went from cryin to sleepin, and it had to have been a long time ‘cause the sun was rising through the small barred window way above my head when I woke up.
“Good morning to you, Ms. Raney,” the Oracle said, makin me jump to my feet. He cackled, “Oh Naomi, you’re so full of life and energy.”
“What do you want?” I hissed.
“Well I just wanted to say one last farewell to you, today is the day of your execution after all. Poor Naomi Raney, her mouth was too big for her own good. I’ve been watching you since you were little and you were getting much too wise, my girl. I'm sure Miss Mary Elizabeth informed you of her own beliefs; she’s too much trouble yet she just won’t die. So my dear, since you were young you were destined to be sacrificed, just as the others who weren't fools were.”
I glared at him, but all it did was make him laugh again and make me madder. He left with a little wave, and I couldn't do nothin but sit down in defeat. The dirt basement was black and empty, the only light was from the window at ground level, but it was way above my head. There was complete silence; the kind of silence that makes a person go insane.
“Naomi?”
My head snapped up to the window at the sound of a boy’s voice. “Lionel?”
“I came to bust you out!” He whispered cheerily.
“I told you to stay with the old hag,” I whispered harshly.
“And just who are you calling an old hag?”
I whipped myself ‘round to see the old woman herself standing there in her slicker, five men at her heels. One of them grabbed the key and unlocked the cell door.
“Why’d you come?” I asked her.
She smiled warmly, “You got yourself a convincing friend there, child. We felt so darn guilty about pushing you away, then he comes back yelling and screaming that the bad men got you. He was having such a fit we had no choice but to come and rescue you.”
“You only brought five men?”
“Child, do I look like a fool? It’s on the brink of war out there! These people of yours sure are stubborn; they don't believe a word we say to them.”
This wasn't what I wanted. I just wanted ‘em all to be free, not to die in a war. I pushed past everyone and ran straight up the wooden stairs, and straight out the building (if I had turned the other way, I could’ve seen inside the Oracle’s room; it was full of gold, jewels and technology from the way past, before the Great War. This was all to be discovered later though).
Outside, the townspeople had pitchforks and shovels at the ready, and the city folk were hollerin up a storm, also waving shovel around. Pa was at the front of the crowd of townspeople, my heart stopped when I saw him. Lionel was crouched in a corner, looking more terrified than anyone.
“Stop!” I bellowed. Somehow, my voice got loud enough to call everyone’s attention. Pa’s usually hard to read face seemed so clear to me, there was joy and there was a bit of pain. A lump got stuck in my throat, but I swallowed it and kept on talkin. “No more fightin everyone, please! Pa, everyone, what I'm gonna say might not settle right with you, but I swear to you it’s the truth. The Oracle’s been lyin to us this whole time. He told us that we were the only people left right? Well then, how are these guys here? The old hag– I mean, Mary Elizabeth here, she’s older than everyone here, even older than the Oracle. She knows what really happened 48 years ago, I believe everythin she says. Earlier today, the Oracle came down to the jail to see me. And you know what he said? He said I was the Chosen ‘cause I got too smart and didn’t believe anythin he said. He’s a bad man, we gotta stop him.”
I felt the cool blade of a knife around my throat, and froze; the Oracle had snuck up behind me and pulled out his knife.
“Now my good people, let’s not believe the words of a sinner; Abbas demands a sacrifice soon, and so we must continue to obey his words.”
Pa roared and threw his pitchfork to the ground. “You let go a my daughter!” he yelled and charged at the Oracle. He had never been questioned or outmatched before, and he dropped the knife in surprise. Pa tackled him down to the ground, and the other townspeople followed his lead and carried him inside the town hall, down to the dungeon.
“Naomi!” a shrill voice cried. Mother was running towards the square, hair a mess and clothing wrinkled.
“Ma!” I embraced her and we both started cryin and she kept syin how sorry she was and I kept sayin how sorry I was, til Pa came in and hugged us both so tight we started laughin like we were a big happy family again.
“Naomi, you’re a brave child,” Mary Elizabeth hobbled over to us and gave me another warm smile.
“What’s gonna happen now?” I asked her. I hadn’t thought ‘bout what would happen after the Oracle wasn't our leader anymore.
“Well, we’d like to help if we could,” she said, “ Why not work together to create a better world? Like the one that once was long ago.”
Everyone started talkin to one another ‘bout what the new world would be like, but I had something else on my mind.
“Ma, Pa, this is Lionel,” I pointed over to where he was sittin and his ears perked up and his tail gave a lil twitch. “His Mama died, he aint got nobody in the world no more. Can he live with us?”
Pa and Ma looked at each other for just a second.
“Come ‘ere, son,” Pa said and opened his arms up to make room. Lionel’s face lit up and he scampered over to us and we all hugged one more time.
“Three cheers for Naomi, the Chosen! Hip hip, Hooray!”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.