Stolen | Teen Ink

Stolen

By Kestrel135 PLATINUM, Waterford, Connecticut
Kestrel135 PLATINUM, Waterford, Connecticut

"Respect existence or expect resistance"

Summary:

Contact was subtle. An inkling of something strange, but the knowledge that the oddity was merely imagination; but it wasn't just imagination. Once you start to believe that it is there, it starts to seep inside you. Once it is inside, it starts to whisper, and you can only listen. And then it steals you.
Unless you can fight back.
But by fighting you realize what it truly is. By fighting you realize that it is only following instinct; by fighting you realize that everything was a mistake.
By fighting, you make escape impossible.
By fighting, you destroy yourself.

Kestrel135

Stolen

I'm so sorry I didn't get to this earlier - somehow I missed multiple comments in July. But I'm still overjoyed that you found it provocative; that's the whole reason I wrote it. Thank you so much for your comments!

IMSteel BRONZE said...
IMSteel BRONZE, Wallhala, South Carolina

"Learn from Yesterday, live for Today, hope for Tomorrow" - Albert Einstein

"Brevity is the Soul of Wit" - The Which

Very interesting, this got me thinking more than a story has in a long time. It almost reads like one of Ray Bradbury's ponderous statements, I love it! Keep writing!

Yay! Thank you so much. It's really reassuring that there's a good crowd out there for this sort of work - this is my first story centered entirely on philosophy. I'm glad you liked it! Thanks!

Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

I love the philosophical aspect of this story, (partly because I study philosophy, and partly becuase I study Neuroscience) a nd thought this was a very unique piece, especially if you take the layout into account, it's very cool. :) I hope you keep writing, because I love reading your work. CX

Thanks! 

GhostMatrix SILVER, Bradenton, Florida

Live Each Day To The Fullest. -Quote From Somewhere Else-

I'm Whatever You Want Me To Be - My Quote -

It blew my mind, I liked it alot. ^_^

Yes, a philosipher! I'm so glad that you liked it, and I was hoping that it would be intruing and send your mind off to do a little excavation. I really appreciate your feedback. Thank you!

Dujjo BRONZE said...
Dujjo BRONZE, Glasgow, Kentucky

"Does giving really mean hospitality, Or does caring for people? I think the latter. "
I know it's a random quote but I love it all the same!!!

Wow, my mind was whirling in 50 different directions. I looove philosiphy and find it extremely interesting. I love how you had his desire to steal take form and have conversations with his "victim" It was really good and well written to, I hope more people read this because that was really good!!!

I'm so glad you like my work! I find that a lot of peopel are repelled by philosophy under the illusion that it is dull and unmeaningful; when really, it explains how everything - people and the universe alike - work together in ways that are so beautifully abstract. I wrote this after reading the finale to the Ender's Game series (by the highly respected author Orson Scott Card, who seems to live and breath philosophy in his books) and tried to express the deep concepts in a simple way. No backstory - it's open, for the reader to decide. I have to say, what you inferred from this is surprisingly accurate to what I tried to convey, which is reassuring. I'm glad my work is appreciated; this is my first truly philisophical work, but I hope to post more. Thank you so much! 

Thank you! I do agree that it has almost no background information, which is necessary. I was originally going to have the first chapter be an introduction for a real storyline, which I may still do, to give that info. But then I grew curious of the characters I had created, and started going along and making their orginially short conversation much longer, which is the book you see here. I'm glad you like it; it's more of a philisophhical message than a real novel. And try not to get your head torn off... That can't be good for your health. 

Carly_Elizabeth PLATINUM, Othello, Washington

"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."
Roald Dahl

I read the first three chapters and I like it a lot. I love how unique this is and I admire you for it. Although it is kind of hard to follow along without any background knowlegde of the characters. I know you left it to the reader to interpret it how they will, but I think you left it a little too open for interpretation. Again I am baffled at the originality of this book, but there's not enough background knowlegde to read this easily. I'm sure if I read more than I'll understand more of it, but I only got five more minutes on the computer before my sister tears my head of haha. (i've been on for a good two hours haha) Well I love this a lot. Kudos on your originality! :D