Imona: The Beginnings | Teen Ink

Imona: The Beginnings

October 20, 2014
By Vidona GOLD, Asheville, North Carolina
More by this author
Vidona GOLD, Asheville, North Carolina
10 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Dont judge a book by its cover or else it might end up banging you on the head


Author's note:

   This is my Senior Project. I am hoping to let others expierience the life of one that is different from others. I was a black sheep and I felt very much out of place. So I decided to write a fantasy/ sci-fi story like that of me.... I sincerely hope that you will enjoy.

 
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
 
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
 
Return
 
 
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
 
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
 
 
English
 
 
alt
alt
 
 
Preferences

   Um, this is very awkward for me. I guess I should start with my name. I’m known as Imona- Imona DeVinci. Most of my friends don’t call me that, claiming that I have the tendency to change my last name whenever I take a fancy to one. Well, newsflash y’all! When have I taken the awesome last name before….. except for Draufganger and Hamilton? Ok, ok, yes I have taken a couple names.
   Generally, I am not liked by my peers. A couple here; a couple there, will even have the guts to say they have ever been affiliated with me. They say that  I’m a freak, weird, or ‘just different.’ One of these days, I’m gonna ask what ‘just different’ is to them. Like they’re normal- whatever normal is. I mean, yeah, I am not your average 16-year-old girl. I like bohemian styles, like my meat very rare; I don’t smile, due to an awkward tooth growth, and I don’t appreciate any foolishness- that includes most boys.
   And you may be asking, where in this endearing world do I live? Well, I live right smack in the middle of nowhere. That ‘nowhere’ is called Franklin, North Carolina. I’ve called it, in my own special tongue, Imiridae Serenta- which means, ‘Mountainous Home.’
   Now, you may be thinking, what does she look like? Hmmm. That is a hard one. Here’s the answer with no meaning: NORMAL. Copper complexion, violet-gray eyes; hip-length, thick black hair, five feet and seven inches tall, and quite a hellion when aroused. In my appearance, I’m ‘normal’- it’s what is inside that is strange. You’ll see……..
   Xavier Muerte would tell you, “ when ‘mona is ar-r-r-round, things get a little out of hand……’  You think that I am strange? Tell that to Xavie! He is the one that downs a whole bottle of mustard! C’mon!
   Well, the biggest thing you will ever have to know about me is this:
   I am not a normal( of course, that contradicting word)  in any way. My humanness is not the same as anybody else’s – never was and never will be. Actually, I am not human at all. Not mortal, but I look like one. Immortal?! I can almost hear your scoff. An elf? Ha! I wish….. And another thing. I’m  not an average mortal girl either. I was full grown at five years of age. Really, I am a mutant, a different creature, a monster.
   No, I am not a werewolf. And definitely not a blood-sucking, stench-ridden vampire thingy- and absolutely no, I don’t feast on brains…… ugh……
   No, I am the outlaw of the outlaws. The shunned of the shunned; the cursed of the cursed. I am the most feared of the feared. I am an evil shadow- a wraith of monsters. The elusive and dreaded creature of both man and monster.
   My name is Imona DeVinci and I am known as the Hybrid.

   My mother gave birth to me in the oppressive summer heat. Having only the help of a terrified mortal, Alayna, my mother, pushed me into the world’s atmosphere. I wish I could say that all went well but it didn’t. Monster I am and monster I will be- I bit my mother’s midwife and she "died."
   Elated as she was to have me, we ran into complications soon thereafter. I was physically full grown at five years old and yet my mind was that of a little child. Scared of what society- monster and human- would say, Alayna led me deep into the Blue Ridge Mountains that surrounded Asheville, North Carolina. There, she ran from me and disappeared, trusting in mother nature that I would survive. Now  fast forward to now.
   After hiding since I was five-years-old, Alayna finally came around and found me. Of course, she did the usual ‘happy birthday’ screech. Today, on this sultry July seventh, was my sixteenth birthday. And that was sooooo exciting…… not.
    “It’s time for the world to embrace their most beautiful girl,” my mother squealed.
    “Most strange and monstrous girl,” I had muttered.
   My mom just sighed and hugged me- clearly not understanding. She would never understand. She didn’t have to go through society and life scorned and feared. Different I was and different I would always be. When I told her this, Alayna just shook her head.
    “Mom! I am not normal! Not even in monster terms. I’m just a stupid hybrid,” I lashed out.
   I was in a foul mood- I knew it. Not wanting to talk to her anymore, I slinked by her and tried to head back to my room. She stopped me with her ice-cold hand.
    “Your destiny is out there, in the world. Not here in this stanching old home. Just come out and let me show you the world you are missing! You will love it!” she tried to convince me.
   I just shrugged, but my curiosity was piqued. My mom must have seen it ‘cause she decided to reveal a really cute outfit from behind her back and put it in my somewhat not surprised arms. She bade me to go and change into them. Obediently, I went and did as I was told. And while doing so, I thought about how…… odd my mother was.
   Alayna was married when she met my father, a werewolf named Miguel. What attraction the two had had for each other, that I will never know. Well, as scandalous as it was to fall in love with on of the enemy race, it was, by far, worse to have a mixed baby. To try to cover her infidelity, my mother said she killed and drank my father’s blood- lovely. For protection, she said. Well, here is my opinion: if you are a monster, NEVER MARRY. I really didn’t like the graphics of me feasting on my husband in my mind. I shook the thought off  and returned to my mom. She smiled when she saw me.
    “Beautiful,” she beamed.
   I was wearing a knee-length, black dress that was hemmed with red English lace and embroidered with red and hold flowers around the sweet-heart neckline, straps, and skirt.
About my waist was a red leather belt with a Celtic knot buckle. My mom was squealing with enjoyment- which, I will honestly say, probably busted my eardrums.
   She added makeup and then tried to give me jewelry. I refused. Waling over to the mantel by the door, I took a necklace made of carved bones and polished claws. Searching deep in a wooden box, on the mantel also, I slipped a ring made of nickel. When my mother saw them, she grew quiet.
    Both had belonged to Miguel, my dad. My necklace was hand-crafted by my mother. The ring was an old, old heirloom. It was about a centimeter wide and engraved into it was a running wolf. Both pieces were beautiful and I wanted to wear them for my sixteenth birthday, in remembrance of my father that I had never met.
   I stood there, watching Alayna and could not believe what I saw. Despite being dead and assumed to have no emotions, Alayna stood there with tears brimming up in her blue eyes. By the looks of it, she still missed Miguel badly.
    “Shall we be going?” I finally asked after a long and very awkward pause. Quickly, she snapped out of it and smiled.
    “Yes, we shall.”
   And off we went- yippie…….):
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   After what seemed like days, Alayna and I went to the food court in the Asheville Mall. We were loaded with everything that my mom had caught a fancy to. I mean, it was alright; but being dragged from JC Penny to Sears and back can be really tedious. Not to offend my bloodsucking mother, I kept my mouth shut and my thoughts blocked. But she did buy me several things of my style-something I didn’t know that I had.
   I think I would have been more relaxed and enjoyed myself more if I wasn’t , for the first time, craving human blood. Here, surrounded by unsuspecting mortals, the ugly monster was rearing its head. Seeing and hearing my frantic struggle to keep calm, Alayna reached over the table and patted my arm. Then she pushed a platter full of orange chicken towards me. Trying to distract myself, I shoveled a couple fork fulls of the food into my mouth.
   Well, of course, my ever social mother decides to beckon to a young man in a hoodie that had been watching us since we got there. He complied and I nearly choked in nervousness as he neared our table. From far away, I could smell him. He was a vampire – one that had just eaten. I tried not to cringe from him as he stood at the head of the four-seater table.
    “Darren, I would like you to meet my companion, Imona, “ she said pleasantly.
   Companion! I fumed inwardly. My own mother wouldn’t even calim me in front of others of her kind. But my fuming ceased when I raised my eyes to meet his. He was…… I dunno…..the most beautiful man I had ever seen? Well, that really doesn’t say anything; being that my only male acquaintance I had had was Xavier. But still. He was beautiful. His skin was almost whiter than marble; he had black hair that hung right at his jawline. Those eyes were greener than purest emerald. His features were beautiful and masculine.
   When I realized that I was staring, my face turned red and I hurriedly accepted the had he offered. Frozen cold. I shook it without flinching. Having a different vampire – well, any vampire- so close to me, made me want to gag. Their scent is so strong and so disgusting……..
   When this Darren turned to converse with my mother, I bit my lower lip till it bled and I really wanted to get out- ASAP. Listening half-heartedly to the conversation they were having, I toyed with my food and every so often peeked up at Darren. Just as he was turning to address me, I felt a slender hand laid on my shoulder. I looked up and say Xavier, my zombie friend.
   Despite common theory that zombies are stupid, Xavier was full proof that they could be very intelligent. He knew several languages, was a philosophical snob, and played the violin, cello, and the ukulele. He taught me nearly all I know. Smarty pants.
   I jumped up and embraced him, happy and relieved to see him. He, himself, returned the hug and watched my eyes and facial expressions very closely. Believe it or not, Xavier was a handsome zombie. He was a mixed boy that used to be a skateboarder before being bit by a zombie one late night. The only thing I found unattractive was a scar that ran down his face from the left eye to the right ear. Said that he had met an accident with a sharp corner while he was still a skateboarder. Anyway, back to the story…..
   He bent forward to my ear and whispered, knowing very well that Alayna and Darren could hear, “ Bored of the pomp and glory of the world’s society?”
   I laughed and gave him a sisterly kiss to the cheek.  Knowing my mother watched and a young man that she apparently had something going on, I telepathically told him:
    ‘Yes. I wanna go home. This –this  is too overwhelming. Too much for me to comprehend and like.’
   Xavier nodded and winked at me. Almost immediately, I felt that he would be able to handle the bloodsuckers. He had always been there for me.... since the day he met me till now. But the way he met me really did answer Alayna’s wishes that mother nature would take care of me.
   He had found me, shivering and afraid, und a pin tree two miles away from one of his numerous homes. Instead of eating me, Xavier pitied  and took me in as a little sister. From then on, he mentored me, educated me and took care of me. It was then, that I learned that I had special abilities such as being able to see him whenever he was invisible, superior strength, and faster than the fastest. I also learned to use my telepathic talents to talk to him.
    “Imona! Who is this,” demanded Alayna in a sharp tone.
   I squared my shoulders and looked her in the eyes. No smile; no bootlicking, I told myself.
    “ Alayna, this is my friend, Xavier,” I said evenly.
    “ A pleasure to meet you ma’am,” he said cordially.
   Alayna just stared at him with pure hostility. Ignoring the obvious signs of evident displeasure on her face, Xavier sat down in the seat across form her which I had vacated earlier. I could barely keep from laughing when I saw my mother’s face. Pure horror and surprise filled her face.
   Xavier flicked his had and I understood exactly what he was indicating to me. Get going. I grabbed my purchases and, with a hurried farewell, made a beeline for the door. There, easy step number one. Now, easy step number two. Searching the carlot, I spotted the escape care. It was Xavie’s sporty 2012 mustang. Perfect.
   I dodged between cars to get to it and yanked the trunk open. Stuffing my new clothes hastily in, I slammed it shut with a loud bang. I hesitated for one moment and noticed the dent I must of made in my hurry. Oh well. Can’t fix it now. I rushed to the door, opened it and plopped into the seat.
   They keys were hidden under the floor rug. Another perfect. I put the keys into the ignition and turned to close my door- and nearly screamed. Darren was standing there, up against the door. He leaned forward and pulled the keys out of the ignition. Without thinking, I snatched them form his hand put them back in. All he did was smile. That smile was a dangerous and sinister smile.
    “Why are you in such a hurry to leave, Miss Imona?”
   I gulped  and forced a smile. “ I am getting the car for my friend… we’ll be leaving soon…”
    “ Alayna? She is leaving? She usually is one of the last to leave…..”
    “ No. I meant Xavier. He and I are leaving. I am boarding at his house.”
    “Ahh. I see.”
    “ So I must be getting to the entrance…..”
    “ It  is  only one in the afternoon, though. Surely there’s nothing so important that you should leave Alayna. Where’s your home? I’ve never seen you before.”
   Oh, crud. Think fast think faster or he’ll catch you. Panic and fear was in a turmoil in my stomach; but outwardly, even my eyes, showed serenity.
    “ I live pretty close to here. And Alayna and I are distant friends. We haven’t known each other for that long and from the looks of it, I was a last resort to go to for entertainment. But my main reason for being here is family things, “ I somewhat lied.
    “ Hmmm…. Never knew that. I never knew she had a friend so pretty. You smell delicious.”
   I was speechless. Flattered as I was, I revolted against his vamparic scent. Say something nice. Say a compliment. The silence between us was awkward and I was getting red with embarrassment. I had no idea how to change this conversation. Note to self : Be more eloquent with people and monsters- not just books. Glancing up, I saw that  Darren was smiling at me, waiting- like a wolf on its prey. He would be so mad at me for comparing him to a wolf. LOL.
   Suddenly, the passenger door opened and Xavier climbed in. He smiled at me but then focused his black eyes on Darren. In return, Nathaniel just stared back. Outwardly, this looked very weird; but I knew that they were measuring each other.
   I decided I had had enough and cranked the mustang up. It roared to life, much to my childish delight. Turning to Xavier, I caught his attention and raised an eyebrow. He snorted a laugh. Don’t know why but he always found it hilarious when I cocked my eyebrow like that. My expression was all I ever got as an explanation to the outbursts of laughter. Anyway, back to the story.
    “ We will be leaving now,” he said to me but also indicated it towards Darren.
   Darren smiled and looked drolly at me and winked. His hand reached out and he fingered my cheek tenderly. It took every ounce of control for me not to bite that man’s stone finger off. The worst thing was that the monster inside of me was precariously close to bursting out.
    “ Until we meet again, Imona. I will be looking for you at some of the upcoming events. Adios Senor Xavier.” With that, he turned and began to make his way back to the mall.
   I looked at Xavier and he immediately  got out and I climbed over the consul to sit in the passenger seat. He got in again and backed out and began to drive. Seeming to sense that I was not in the right mood to talk quite yet, Xavie remained quiet till we were out of the Asheville mall’s perimeter.
   “ What’s wrong sister?” he gently prodded.
I sighed and turned towards him, ready to ask my question yet hesitant because I knew I may not like the answer.
    “ Why did Darren say I smell sweet. I mean, I think I didn’t even put on perfume.” I blurted out.
   Xavie just nodded gravely. It was about ten minutes before he spoke up again. And I was right…. I didn’t like the answer.
    “ You are a hybrid. Most hybrids have a sweet scent to them. That means that monsters- not humans- are attracted to you. Myth says that the hybrids… also known as the amalgam… would use their scent to prey on the vampire and werewolf races. Well, I will say that they did eat other monsters. Monsters are their main food source. That is why humans really never had a problem with them.
   Well, about thirty years ago there was this killing spree called the Gidrio Purge. The Gidrio Purge was the massacre of the amalgam. Very few survived that and due to the uniting of the two main enemy races, there were several born out of them. One being you.
   I never mentioned this before but the vampires and werewolves still work together to exterminate any hybrid that should appear. These people are called Amalgam Hunters. You must beware of them. They are very cunning and very sly. They will kill you in a heartbeat should they find you. That is why I have taken you in. I think that the vampires and werewolf populations have grown to an overwhelming extant. You, I believe are the hope for the mortal population. I will admit that the werewolves are being killed by the vampires so I believe that they would help you- should you reveal your true nature to them… you must be careful though.”
   His words were met with silence. I was too surprised and also grieved. Was I the last one of my kind? Did Xavier know more that I didn’t? and most of all, was this world able to let me live here?
 

   Xavier and I arrived at one of the many abandoned houses that we called home. He came screeching down the main road, swerved into the gravel driveway, and kicked some dust and pebbles into the air as we raced up into the woods. When the house loomed up, he slammed on the brakes and we skidded to a stop. He was chortling in and having the time of his life. I, on the other hand, broke the passenger seat that I was in. Having the car  jerk like it did, I flew forward and crashed backward and the back of the seat snapped with a loud crack. Oops.
   I laughed and unbuckled myself and got out. Xavier looked at the broken seat with wide eyes then looked at me and laughed with me.
    “ I’ll fix that. You, perhaps should go and get some sleep.”
   That was code for, ‘go and hide yourself for a bit.’ I completely understood and I grabbed and outfit from my bags. Rushing to the house, I changed and came back out. I was wearing black leather pants with a black shirt and a black leather vest over that. Feeling deliriously happy, I waved at Xavier.
   A flashlight in his mouth and a wrench in each hand, he brandished one. I laughed and took a deep breath in, taking in the scents my surroundings. I couldn’t sense any other monsters around and only felt human beings. Giving Xavie a last smile, I darted off with a loud whoop.
    I ran faster than a vampire up to the Nantahala Ridge. There, I had a little hideout that I went to all the time, whenever I needed to. I breathed in the wind and made sure I was alone. Confident that no one was near, I knelt behind an old rotting trunk. It was on a ledge so beneath was a tangle of roots and winter weeds. And behind that was a roomy cave… an old bear cave. I ducked in and began searching in the back till my hands  felt a large chest.  In that chest were blankets. With those blankets, I made a deep and soft nest. Of course, I was tempted and I curled up in them. Soon, as the sun was overhead, I fell fast asleep.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
   The sickle moon was above me, shining its dim glow on my face. That was when I jerked awake at the sound of a branch snapping. Silently, I got into a crouching position and waited. A breeze blew my way and I scented a werewolf. With Xavier’s words in my mind, I decided that risking being in my weakest form would be dangerous. What I did may make you think I am weird, but I think that it is the beauty of being a hybrid.
   I turned to a mist….a dark mist but still a mist. I can never hold that form for long so my body began to morph into a wolf’s. I shook myself and let out a howl- relieved that I was able to transform and also warning the intruder that I was well aware of his presence.
I was a pure white wolf with a black sliver down my face. Kind of odd but cool at the same time.
    “ Wait! I am one of you!”
   I growled in response and bounded out of my cover. There before me, was a man- a werewolf. He stood patiently as I warily neared him. I smelled his hand and read his thoughts. One look at his thoughts, I took off running. He was a cannibal of his own kind.
I knew him immediately. He was known as Aaron- Aaron the Cur.
   He turned to his werewolf form and began the chase, realizing that I was not in the mood to have a friendly talk nor be his supper. A regular werewolf is as big as an American quarter horse. I, on the other hand, was the size of a Shetland pony. And I began to realize I was in a pretty big pickle.
    Werewolves are fast but not as fast as vampires. I saw that as Aaron  nipped my flank. I had to take the risk. Thinking quickly, I dodged between to briar bushes and turned to mist. To tell you the truth, it was very dangerous to do that so near the enemy, but I had gotten far enough to morph into a vampiric body. Purposefully, I kicked some rocks down the path ant watched  Aaron pass me. Then, I got up and ran, heedless of the scratches that were marring my copper body.
   I arrived at my cave in seconds and yanked my clothes on that had been discarded  when I had turned to mist the first time. Adreniline kicking, I ran as fast as I could back to a wide awake Xavier.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------          
    “ It isn’t safe for you to live here anymore, Imi. You can’t live in the woods now, and it is dangerous for both of us if you stay here. You must take Alayna’s advice and join the world. There is where you belong-always did.
   Aaron is no regular werewolf. Yes, he eats his own kind. But something more is he is a well known Amalgam Hunter. The Gidrio Purge is not the only one he has participated in. He is an ancient werewolf. One of the first in the court of the werewolves. You must be very careful, Imi. This man now has your scent and he will do everything in his will power to make sure that he gets you in his clutches.
   You must go to Asheville and live there for a while. Here is some money and food and I will help you pack up.”
   My silence was all that I had as an answer to his explanation. I was shocked and hurt that he was so eager to ship me off- or so I thought. Angry, I got up and yanked my clothes from his hand.
    “ I will pack my own stuff,” I muttered.
   Zipping through the house, I collected my belongings, shoved them into two suitcases, and stomped out of the house. Before I was fully out of the house, Xavier stopped me and silently handed me the keys to the car.
    “ Take the mustang. It’s yours,” he said.
   I gave him one last glance and got into the car. With on twist of the key, the mustang cranked and I drove off into my new life and a new sunrise- so weird.

For a period of time, I lurked the walkways of the Asheville mall. No eye-contact, don’t speak, and especially avoid the talkative lady who was at the phone covers booth. I was just a living shadow, apparently there but not there. That was the way I wanted it to be. Just a brown girl walking around the mall in all black.
   It amuses me how mortals stereotype. You wear black, you are definitely a person that would love to get pierced in every way possible- oh, don’t forget the gages. I only complied my ears to be pierced. Nothing on my face. And I made that clear.
   One day, I ventured to the mall’s food court- a big step in the wrong or right way. I was very cautious and hyper alert. I didn’t know what to expect but I did know that to look for the worst and hope for the best was all I had. I saw no one that I knew- smelled no vampires. A really good sign. I stepped boldly into the court and sat down. People watching is fun, but doing it for a long time is very tedious. Then, I got up and wandered around. I turned away and went to a table near the windowed wall of the food court.
   I cringed as the door nearest me opened. A pack- a pack- of young men entered boisterously. With them, came the wonderously awful smell of werewolf. Gee, just what I wanted. A pack of wild hoolagins prancing around. I turned away and looked the opposite way. Asheville was definitely not my cup of tea. Too many busybodies and a painful amount of monsters.
   But I reasoned with myself. Where else could I go? I could stay here and endure society’s monstrosities or go back and get caught by that cannibalistic Aaron. Well, I wasn’t gonna be anyone’s supper any time soon, so I found myself beginning to see that eth best choice was living like a shadow- in the protection of  the humans.
    “ Is this seat taken?”  a soft persuasive voice come through my thoughts.
   I turned from the window and glanced up at one of the werewolf boys. Great. Well make a graceful exit. I got up and smiled at him. I motioned to the two seats.
    “ I was just about to leave, feel free,” I said calmly.
   With that, I tried to slink away but the boy’s hand shot out and stopped my flight. In his palm was a beautiful charm bracelet.
    “ I believe that this belongs to you,” he said as he offered it courteously.
   I took it in my hands and examined it. Made of slim leather strips, there were beautiful stones hanging from it. My breath caught and I looked up at him, half tempted to say it was mine. It was unique- a one of a kind. I regretfully handed it back to him and informed him that it was not mine. He smiled and nodded.
    “ Oh, I know. Just needed an excuse to talk to you. D you mind staying for a while? Or do you really need to go?”
   Soft, persuasive voice. I liked it. But his words did affect me. Someone really wanted to talk to me. Someone didn’t care that I looked kinda creepy and was reclusive. I was flushing and biting my lower lip- a nervous habit. Quietly, I sat back down. Girl, you just let a werewolf run you over, I scolded myself. He must of seen my lack of social skills, but he only smiled and sat down. Again, he offered the bracelet. Now shy, I refused to take it and shook my head and smiled. He, in response, shrugged and deposited it in a little cloth bag which went into his pocket.
   He leaned forward against the table and smiled. He was a good-looking young man. Perhaps late teens, early twenties. In stature he was a thin but muscular six foot, easily. He had short dirty blond hair cut in a fashionable style; and he had this dreamy golden eyes. Mesmerizing. Well, almost- if he just didn’t smell so pungently of dog. But I found myself liking the doggie scent better than the vampire’s. Whew! Now they stink like cadavers on a hot day.
   As I came to my conclusions about him, I realized he had asked a question. There he was, patiently waiting for an answer and smiling like the Chestershire Cat. Flustered, I asked him to repeat what he had said. He laughed and repeated his question.
    “ I had said, ‘where are you from? I haven’t seen you before and what is your name?’”
    “ Oh, I ….. uh. I’m from Franklin. It is about an hour and forty-five minutes away. A-a-and my name is Imona. And you?”
   I bit my tongue in frustration because I really was not confident and felt way out of my comfort zone. This has gotta quit, mademoiselle bobo. Brushing it off, I listened to the boy. Gosh, I loved his voice!
    “ My name is Hayden. I’m from Laurenceburg, Tennessee- you know, where the old order Amish live? My father was from the Amish community buty my mother was half Cherokee and half Irish.”
    I laughed and asked if he was a Yoder.
    “ Believe it or not, I am!”
    “ But I thought that the Amish couldn’t marry outside their faith?”
    “ My father left the community and faith. Eli Yoder was trying to make a quick clean cut- which he did. Then he met my mother, who was just passing by to get to Gatlinburg and Cherokee. River Child was her name- or nickname, rather. Keely O’Brian was her English name.”
   I smiled. So his mother was the shape changer- the werewolf. Upon further questioning, his father had died from a animal attack and his mother had found the remains. From then on, Keely was out of her mind. Poor lady. I was stopped in my musings and conversation when the rest of Hayden’s buddies came along and sat around us. In the midst of his friends, Hayden was silent. When he realized that I was watching him, Hayden shrugged and rolled his eyes. I stifled a laugh.
    “ So aren’t you gonna introduce us to the girl, Hay?”
    “ Hello, Hay’s lady friend!”
    “ Wassup girl?”
    “ Drew! Stop talking and say hello to the girl!”
    “ My name is Imona. Nice to meet y’all,” I ventured.
   The boys had fallen quiet for one split second before staring their questions for Hayden and me. I tried to answer all of them but got so mixed up that I ended in just laughing. The boys joined in the laughing.
   When I finally could ask questions, I found out their names: Israel, was the only black boy in the group…. But he was one of the funniest. Andrew- also known as ‘Drew’- was the smallest and the most talkative. Santiago was the linguistic one- intelligent almost to the point of boring. Vincent was the skateboarder of the group, with a shock of Arielle red hair- dyed I hope. Eagle Eye was Aidrian, Strong Bear was Jacob, and Wild Colt was Issac. They were the Indian brothers form Cherokee. And that was all of them.
   Suddenly, in the midst of the fun, a hand was placed on my shoulder. I knew immediately who it was.  It took all my effort to not cringe and scoot nearer to Hayden. Even my werewolf friends fell silent and became hostile. Ignoring the obvious signs, Darren sat down beside me.
    “ So how is Imona,” he asked.
    “ Good. You?”
    “Fairly well.”
   Then he crossed a line. He put his arm around my shoulders. I stiffened and jumped up. With one cold glance at him, I started to walk away. But he grabbed my hand and held fast. The angry monster inside me was not aroused but it was tossing and turning. I had to get away as fast as possible. And I needed to remember not to seem too strong- though I could easily yank free.
    “ Let go,” I snapped.
   He didn’t reply verbally. Instead, he smiled, his fangs being uncomfortably close to my hand. Before I could react, I was surprised. Hayden jumped up and yanked my hand free from Darren’s grasp. He shoved me behind him and I was immediately surrounded by his friends. What Hayden had said to the vampie, I will never know; but Darren got up and left…… or so I thought.
   My back of doggie friends  and I were out in the parking lot a couple days later. We were beside JC Penny. Having the time of our lives being silly and outrageously hyper. I was so delighted to be talking to someone. Their silliness made me laugh as I sat perched on the tailgate of the Indian brothers’ truck. I had never been happier, I had claimed to them.
The sun was overhead in its oppressive heat. It was dark in the parking tower so it had a nice cool feeling in the midst of the late July heat. The boys were doing back flips and running races in the nearly empty lot. So much fun and hilarity. I was wishing it would not be over any time soon. But it did.
   A breeze came through and carried the whiff of the stanching vampire that I was dreading to meet up with again. The Pack scented him too, because they grew tense, despite their ruckas. Then, I smelled more that one. I slid off the tailgate, hoping that they didn’t catch my scent. Too late.
    “ Greetings again, Imona,” said Darren pleasantly.
   He was in front of the Pack with a group of his own. Vampires. How they stink! My instincts of a girl overtook me. I grabbed Hayden’s hand and coward against him. He looked surprised but he squeezed my hadn reassuringly. 
    “ Hello; now go away,” I mumbled, scared to death.
   Darren’s laugh was chilling. He tur4ned to his companions and said something in an undertone. It was something like, ‘Geivys urdrim’. That means- well- cowardly and then a word that rhymes with  itch….. I wanted to tear his head off.
   Hayden shot forward and had Darren’s head in his strong hands. I screamed when I saw Darren do a flip and slam Hayden against a car’s hood, denting it. Before I could think what to do, both Pack and stenching vampires werelocked in battles…. All except one. That vampire smiled at me- sinister and dark.
   As he circled me, I felt like prey. Like  a beaver against a bear kind of feeling. But I was very wary and ready. With speed faster than they eye could see, the vampie had my throat. Let hell loose……
    I went berserk and somehow slipped form his grasp. With fury, I turned on him and pounced. Grabbing him, I slammed him against the truck bed and he went through. Yanking him out, I threw his stunned, gashed body to the ground, in the midst of the fight. That stopped most of  the fighters. Only Darren and Hayden were struggling. I stepped off the truck and walked over to them. My anger and the monster inside of me were growing.
   Before I could reach them, Hayden stumbled and almost fell. Darren took advantage was Hayden tried to regain his posture. He knocked my doggie unconscious and bit into Hayden’s shoulder. I let out a yell of rage and charged. Darren didn’t know what hit him as I had jumped in the air and did a twist and kicked him across the parking lot. I landed softly and ran to Hayden’s side, concerned and knowing that none were safe even if I ran off.
   Swinging Hayden across my shoulders, I yell for the Pack to follow me. Somehow, Hayden’s unconscious body was taken from me and put on Eagle Eye’s back. We all ran as fast as we could and burst into the sunlight. That was our only way to make sure that the vampires didn’t follow us.
   Eagle Eye laid Hayden on the curb’s grass. I did a medical check and found, to my relief that everything was alright. I shook him gently, while the out of breath Pack congregated. Finally, he groggily came to.
    “What happened,” he groaned and winced.
I sat back on my heels and glared at the parking lot tower.
    “ Hell broke loose. C’mon guys. We have to leave here now,” was all I said.

     “ Imi, you are not human are you?”
   The question nearly made me choke. Eagle Eye was helping me clean Hayden’s damaged back. I only shrugged. I was too scared to answer. If they found out that I was a hybrid…. I didn’t even want to think about it. He got up and left. Shaking, I turned to bath the cuts on Hayden.
   We had been hiding in the werewolves’ apartments on Sweeten Creek Rd. The Twin Oaks I believe they were called.  This was the third day in a row that I was stuck in rooms with werewolves. I believed that they may have seen what had happened and connected it together… and I was scared.
   With effort, Hayden turned over with a groan. I gently cleaned the cut across his temple, trying not to squirm in his stare at me. Suddenly, he grabbed my wrists and sat up. He used his other hand to tip my chin up to force me to look into his eyes.
    “ You are a hybrid, Imi.”
   With that, I just broke down. Tears filled my eyes and I let them fall as I nodded my head. Then he did the unbelievable.
   Letting go of my wrists, he grabbed my face. I waited for the killing strength to snap my neck. Fear shot through me. I was crying hard.
    “ My beautiful hybrid,” and he kissed my lips gently.
   I jerked away, wide-eyed and my heart fluttering. H smiled and offered his hand. Hesitantly I took it and he pulled me to the side of  the futon which he was sitting on. He brushed my tears from my face and bent and kissed me again.
    “ With me, you will have nothing to fear,” he whispered into my ear. Then the door opened.
   I snapped out of it and finished my cleaning and bandaging. I sensed all of the werewolves were staring at my back.
    “ We have to hold a meeting, Hayden,” said Santiago.
    “ Important decisions,” remarked  Eagle Eye as he glanced at me.
    “ Later boys. Now kindly feed our guest and give her the best hospitality. The BEST,” he emphasized.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   I had been at the Pack’s residence for about three weeks and was becoming restless.  The Pack had had their meeting and I was officially accepted as a ward of the Pack. I was glad of that, but I wanted my freedom.
   I walked around the forested acres by their home but that wasn’t enough. I finally decided to the Center Market gas station store nearby. When I reached the door to the store, I had a strong feeling of being watched. But I shrugged it off and when in and bought a pepsi. 
   I then called Hayden to come pick me up and, instead of staying inside the store, I went outside- by the air pump’s curb. It was out of the light and in the evening’s darkness. Stupid me. Sitting there, I still couldn’t get over the feeling of being watched. Especially from behind.
   But before I could turn and look, a white cloth was clapped on my nose and mouth by a strong hand. One whiff and I knew….. Ether! I fought but the blackness was already closing in on me….. and I was unconscious.
 

I came to and realized that I was in a different place. My head was covered by a burlap bag that smelled old and sweaty. I struggled to see through the tiny holes.
    “ Alright, she’s secure boss,” I heard some man say.
    “ Then take off the hood.”
    I was greeted by a dim light overhead and a room of shadows that I knew were not just shadows but belonged to creatures. My first action was to see if I cold loose my bonds- and ended up screaming bloody murder. The captors chuckled. Those evil shadows that lurked against the walls- cowards that wouldn’t show themselves to me- laughing at my pain. I screamed in frustration.
    “Go ahead. Scream all you ant. No one will hear you. Oh, and by the way, those wires are pure silver… so enjoy. That is the specialty of the Gidrio Hunters for you.”
   My heart went into my throat. I was captured!
   A man stepped into the light. He was tall, broad-shouldered, and missing teeth. Whatever teeth he had left were stained and ugly. His long grey beard was a bush and all that was a despicable nasty thing. And he was a Gidrio hunter too. My luck.
    “You have some questions to answer.”
    He grabbed a chair and straddled it in front of me.
    “ Where are you from?”  Silence.
    “ Who were your parents?”    Silence.
    “ Who protected you for so long?”  Silence.
    “ Are there any more of you?”  Silence.
   The man sighed and shook his head.
    “ This would have been much easier for both of us. But since you won’t talk, I will.”
   I spat at him, defiant and angry. That was all I could do and it made me even angrier. I screamed and yelled for a while.- refusing to be silent despite the threats they gave. Then- pure silence.
     “ I don’t know who your mother was but your father was Miguel.  You are from Asheville and lived in the surrounding area. Who sheltered you, you and I both know. And the last question, I am not sure but I believe you are alone.”
   I laughed defiantly and glared.
    “ So?”
    “ Tell me. Who are you affiliated with?”  Silence.
    “ Very well, then. Let’s motivate you.”
   Some one flicked the light switches and what I saw behind the evil man, made me scream in agony and wail in mourning.
   Xavier…. There but not there.  His body was completely disembowled and torn to pieces. I wailed- tears running down my face. My friend, my brother; my mentor, gone. My companion, my provider; my wise teacher is dead.
   The man got up from his seat and smile and evil smile.
     “ We will gibe you till the end of this week.”
   He turned and left the room, his entourage following him. The last on turned of the light and left me with my best friend’s body… in the dark, alone and mourning. I lifted my head and cried out:
    “ Xavier!”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.