Fan World | Teen Ink

Fan World

I was inspired by all of the fandoms I'm apart of. 

I woke up and let my eyes adjust to the light shining through my window.  I heard the ping of my iPhone; the screen flashed with a notification, the words “Happy Birthday Amelia.” Another message popped up that says “4 HOURS UNTIL FANDOM CHOOSING,” and with that I hopped out of bed.
I can’t believe it’s today-- the day I choose the fandom I’ll be in, I think to myself. I’ve dreamt about this day for my whole life and it feels surreal that it’s actually happening. There are 5 fandoms, the Book Fandom,  where everyone constantly fangirls over the oldest and newest of books. The TV Fandom, where you usually find people screaming at tablet and television screens. The Youtube Fandom, which are the video creators and watchers. The People Fandom, where people use the most complex technology to stalk the “famous” people of our society. Then lastly, the Band Fandom, the most famous of them all, yet still the smallest of them all. In that group you find lovers of bands, all the way from One Direction to Green Day. All of these fandoms together form our society-- Fan World.
After getting out of bed, I went to my closet. I opened it, saying, “Fandom choosing clothes,” and immediately clothes were thrown at me. The clothes it gave me were the typical choosing clothing: a plain light blue dress and black flats. I quickly changed into them and rushed downstairs to the kitchen. When I got down the stairs, I was right away greeted by my mom and dad.
“Good morning, Amelia,” they said in unison.
“Morning,” I responded, sitting down at the kitchen table.
“Are you excited to chose your fandom?” my dad asked, taking a sip from his coffee.
“Yeah, very excited. I can’t wait to go and roam the lands of Television World!”
“Yes, of course, but please remember not be too reckless, Amelia.”
“Dad, the closest I’ve ever been to “reckless” was when I jumped off my bed and broke my arm.”  I rolled my eyes at how protective he was of me.
“Just be careful, okay? Some of those new ‘Official Fangirls’ are crazy.”
“I’ll be careful, don’t worry,” I hugged them both for the last time, and then I was out the door.
As I stepped outside, the cold air hit me, and I brought my coat tighter around myself. I look around and immediately spot what I was looking for. I stepped inside the bus. The huge vehicle was full of chatter. Everyone was talking about how excited they were for the choosing. I sat down behind two girls and “accidentally” listened in on their conversation.
“I’m so excited for the choosing ceremony!” one of the girls exclaimed.
“Omg, me too!  Which fandom are you choosing?” the other girl asked.
“The TV Fandom! I could never live without Switched at Birth or Pretty Little Liars!”
“Oh my gosh, same. We’ll have to be roommates!” This is a common conversation you hear here in Fanville. It’s usually the girls. The boys are usually chill about it, joining the fandom their crush or girlfriend is going to; though, you can occasionally find a real fanboy. However, the worst conversations to listen to are between two best friends separating. They are so corny and emotional; it hurts. The words spoken range from “I LOVE YOU SO MUCH” to “I DON’T EVEN KNOW WHAT I’LL DO WITHOUT YOU!”. It’s understandable they’ll miss each other, but it gets annoying to hear the same thing over and over again.
The bus pulled to a stop and I was shaken out of my annoyed thoughts. Everyone started filing out and I followed suit-- getting up and joining the line. I stepped down and out of the bus. The commotion in Fandom City was worse than the chaos on the bus. There was music blaring from speakers, people talking, laughing, dancing, and even an announcer stating the name of everyone going into the Fandom Headquarters, AKA, the location of the choosing ceremony.
  I walked closer to Fandom headquarters and I felt as though my ears could burst. The music thumped  through my body and I could hardly think straight. I started to feel nauseous  and I couldn’t tell if it was from nerves or from watching people dance and spin around me. So, carefully I weaved through the crowd to the front door.  I avoided having to be announced and went through another door.
As soon as I walked in, I was pulled into another sea of people and the nausea comes back. Soon the crowd entered into the amphitheater and yup, you guessed it: even more people were in there. I went in and sat down. As I shifted back and forth in my seat, I heard the beginning of our national anthem, which used to be a ringtone called “Opening.” That’s when I knew the choosing had begun.
Silence filled the room.  The only sound to be heard was the tapping of heels on tile and the soft hush of whispers of choosers, who couldn’t believe their eyes. There she stood, black hair cascading down her shoulders, glasses adorning her brown eyes, and her famous blue iPhone in hand. The multi-fangirl: Karina Boliz, the first and only to be discovered. The only human ever to be apart of all five fandoms.
Once she stepped to the middle of the stage, applause erupted from the whole room. That's how we show our appreciation; well that and tweeting and fangirling about it. Karina cleared her throat and started to speak,
"Hello choosers of Fanville! It is my great pleasure, as your leader, to welcome you to this momentous occasion. Today you shall all pick your fandom!” Then there’s a sudden uproar of cheers in the amphitheater, I watched in awe at how Karina was able to silence them with just a clap of her hand.
“Everyone please rise and recite the Fan Oath,” Karina announced. We all followed her directions and stood,
“I am a fan,
I wonder if my favorite characters and people know who I am. I hear the ping of notifications. I see myself marrying my favorite celebrity. I want to be the best fan account owner I can be, I am a fan.”
We all sat after the oath. Karina then cleared her throat again and called the first person forward. The process continued until they get to the “C” last names and I knew it was almost my turn.  Then I heard it, “Amelia Constance”.
I nervously walked forward and five doors now stood before me. All doors adorned with the symbol corresponding with the fandom it lead to. I immediately went to the door I knew I was going to choose. I pushed through the door with the TV design. As soon as I stepped through, it was a completely different world. Television World was huge, to say the least, and there were TV’s everywhere (literally). There were buildings with television screens covering them; they all lead to one giant building with one large television screen that read, “New Members Come Here.” I followed the directions and walked towards there. I went in through the automatic glass doors, and my eyes widened in shock. There wasn’t a single part of the walls that wasn’t covered by a television screen. Big screens, small screens, and all between, all bordering each other across the wall. Inside the building, there were just people standing there and watching the screens on the walls.
There were  TV shows playing, ranging from Boy Meets World to Pretty Little Liars. It was crazier than I ever imagined.
I continued following the signs meant for the new members of TV World. The signs lead me to a theater that’s about a quarter of the size of the amphitheater in Fan City. Though, just like the Fan City Amphitheater, it was filled with people; everyone was socializing with each other. I, being the introverted fangirl I am, just sat down as far away from people as I could and got lost in my own thoughts. I saw Tom Vartin, also known as Mayor TV,  walk on the stage and my body filled with excitement. He tapped the microphone and a sharp noise took over the huge room.
“Hello, new TVnites. It is with great pleasure that I welcome you to your new home!” he said, “To start your journey here you will receive your living quarters and roommates. You also will have a medical examination.”
Everything that happened next was blur and next thing I knew, it was morning. My first official day at TV fandom. I decided to go outside and discover new parts of Television World. I headed towards a city map to look for places to go, but suddenly I was pulled back.
I tried to escape the grip of the person’s hold, but when I did their grip only tightened around me. My instincts finally kicked in and I started thrashing and kicking to get away. I turned around to see my mystery attacker and gasped. It was an official. I right away stopped struggling.
“Amelia Constance?” she asked, emotionless. I cleared my throat and mustered out the only words I could,
“Y-yes that’s me.” the official then said the words that no citizen of Fan World ever wants to hear,
“We are sorry to inform you that you have tested positive for Bandtitus. Therefore you have lost your choosing privileges and must report to Band City.”
“W-what?” I stuttered, “I don’t understand. Why wasn’t I informed of this earlier?”
“The condition was discovered prior to your choosing.”  she stated, as if scripted.
“How were they able to diagnose it?” I already knew how; the major symptom of Bandtitus is if someone owned a band fan account but didn’t join the band fandom. I had that symptom.
“Oh, honey, didn’t you know there’s no such thing as an “anonymous” band fan account?” I immediately felt  heat rush to my cheeks. That’s what I get for not listening to my parents and trying to be apart of two fandoms. I felt humiliated for being caught red-handed, so I reluctantly followed the woman. She lead me to a black car, and harshly pushed me into the backseat, slamming the door shut. I watched as she climbed into the front seat and sped away from the home I had for one day.
After about an hour trip, we arrived at Band City Headquarters. The official yelled at me to get out of the car, and I quickly got out so she wouldn’t get angry. As I got out, I took in how tall Bandville Headquarters was. I winced slightly at the Fall Out Boy song that was being blasted from speakers all around the building. She then grabbed me by the arm and dragged me into the building and into a square room. She instructed me to sit in the metal chair in the middle of room and then left.
I took that as an opportunity to take in my surroundings. Besides the metal chair I was seated in, there was barely anything in the room; there was a painting of the founder of Bandville on the wall, and a small wooden desk placed across from me. Why am I here? Is this some kind of ancient shocking chair? Are they going to kill me? I was interrupted, from my paranoid thoughts, by the door opening.
The official came back in the room followed by the Mayor of Band City. The man walked behind the desk in front of me and grinned widely at me; I sent him an unsure smile back.
“Welcome to Band City! We are very excited to have you here. You’re the first ever person to join the Band Fandom due to having Bandtitus. Usually, those sick with Bandtitus go through serious treatment to get rid of it, however, you’re a special case. We were informed both your parents were a part of the Band Fandom, therefore, you were meant for this fandom.” the mayor explained to me. I sighed in relief,
“Thank you so much. I’ll be the best band fangirl I can be.”
“I know you will. Now come with me to meet your new roommate!” he said, with a smile.
Things may not have turned out how I wanted them too, but in the end I’m in the fandom I was meant to be in, and there’s no place I’d rather be.