The Changing | Teen Ink

The Changing

By Tropaz_Forester, Nevada, Missouri
Tropaz_Forester, Nevada, Missouri

I first started writeing this piece for a assignment at school and I noticed I enjoyed writeing it and I loved the charictors that i had written about.

My name’s Darl, you may all already know and fear the Zombie Apocalypse or an Alien Invasion, but think of coming face to face with a blood thirsty ravager called a Rakghoul. A Rakghoul is a human or alien bitten or scratched by someone infected with the Rakghoul virus. The Rakghoul virus started and spread like wildfire. There are three types of Rakghouls first one is the most common see them everywhere they are fast but not very smart and they are greyish color. second one is a Leaper or also called skull face this one gets its name because it jumps around alot and its design on its face looks like a dark skull and is grey aswell like the normal one. Its also called Leaper because it looks like the skull on its face is a reapers , and it lepes at its victim so the name is just put together. Then, there is the final one we call Big boy or Alpha because he is huge and is red with huge spikes on is body. It was 5 days after the outbreak and it was mine and Sally's birthday that's when I swear all hell broke loose in my tiny town of a 1,000 people.

It had been just a normal day in my small town; it was even mine and my best friend Sally’s birthday and we were at her house celebrating our birthday together as usual. We were about to eat cake when two Rakghouls jumped through the kitchen windows. Sally and I ran, grabbed our weapons off the bench in the next room and ran out the front door. My weapons were G18 pistol and a katana my father had given me. Sallys weapons were a pink camo crossbow and a machete that she got for the year before's birthday. We ran for about five minutes, non stop, not looking back. We “knew” our parents had to be dead they had to be right? Sally and I stopped for a moment in shock then we checked ourselves for scratches or bites.

Sally looked at me and asked “ Are you bitten?”

I shake my head no and I asked “ Are you?”

She shook her head “nope” and we were off running again.

After a while of running we decided to walk to make sure we knew our surroundings.
I looked at Sally and asked “Do you think our parents are dead?”

Sally looked at me , hugged me , and whispered in my ear “ yes probably but let us hope they got out safe.” with that we started walking again

We walked toward the old abandoned prison, where we hid our medical kits and extra food. We were about to enter the prison through our secret entrance we made but then we saw a family running from a set of Rakghouls. One was an ugly red color and taller than the ones we had seen before, the rest where the normal grey. As the family passed us and Sally and I opened fire on the freaks. A few turned tail and ran, but the rest we took out. Sally and I turned around and looked at the family. They were new, we do not know them and our suspicions were correct. They had moved here from Miami, Florida trying to get away from the east coast virus. We all entered the prison and I realized they had a little boy with them he was hiding behind his dad shaking but I left him be.

Sally pulled me away from the family and whispered to me “Are we sure we want them we do not even know them for all we know the could be convicts or serial killers”

I shook my head and chuckled softly at her and I whispered back “They got a little boy do not really think they would want to put his life in jeopardy. “I smile at the family and I head back over to the them.

I gave everyone the orders to get some shut eye and I would take first watch. The family did not argue, they all cuddled up together in a ball and fell asleep fast. I climbed up on top of a watch tower and it was about 3 hours in before I saw movement. I yelled down the tower to Sally to “wake up we have company” I looked to my right and see my G18 pistol and then looked to my left to see a barret 50 cal sniper rifle that I had found. I pick up the 50 cal and start opening fire on the Rakghouls but they seemed to keep coming. I was the only one killing the freaks Sally was protecting the family since they do not know how to shoot a gun. After a while I had taken them all out and it was dawn of a new day. We all gathered up supplies and headed toward the airport for our first of 3 travels in the airplane. We get into a airplane and the guy in the family tells us he is a trained air force pilot he was on leave when this all started. Thankfully, he flew us all out of there to our first stop, Israel. 

When we arrived to Israel everyone was shocked and welcoming. They gave all of us a house and food clean clothes and freshwater. The family lived closer to the airplane than me and Sally. They lived by themselves, wall Sally and I lived with another woman. The woman was nice and polite. She had a boy about mine and Sally's age. Sadly we did not get to learn his name…

Four weeks later, Sally, and I woke up like normal day we had finally got used to the place but that one day oh but that one day is when I can say the wall around Israel fell with a loud boom I had known hell's gates had just opened. The Rakghouls started pouring in non stop. Sally and I, without speaking, went straight to the front lines and opened fire. It looked as we were the only people at the front lines. Then, more soldiers came and helped fend off the Rakghouls. There was about 100 of us at the front lines. With every person that died another 10 steps back we went. Sally and I yelled for everyone to fall back to the airplane but they told us to go and not to look back. We nodded and headed for the airplane to boarded it.

When we got on the airplane we saw our roommate , the woman, and the family apparently we were off to London. Everyone was frantic while waiting for the plane to take off. When we did we looked at the bloody airfield… The Rakghouls had taken over it and had surrounded the last of the people left in Israel I sat there watching in horror as the group of people were slowly swallowed into the crowd of Rakghouls and for some reason I smiled as it happened to them.

I think, it was 16 hours later when we started to get close to london and we see a force field around it and Sally and I got excited. Then, there was a guy speaking French voice come through the radio. I take the radio and say back to him “ English please we just want to land in london we have nobody sick with us or we would be already over run so please let us in!” there was long silence and we see the forcefield drop half way down to allow us in we fly into london and are automatically surrounded by British military and told to get on the ground we all do and they ask for the leader or leaders of this operation to stand and everyone just looks at Sally and I.

Sally and I slowly stand up and the British military's Responding Commander starts laughing “seriously you two kids are the leaders of all these adults.” we nod slowly and behind the commander we saw our mothers running to us the commander looked surprised but allowed it our mothers hugged us in silence. The silence did not last long as we all started crying and asking how each other survived. That night had been the longest night in my life.

I am pretty sure, the next day we had been put in containment just to be sure. Some got out before others but the ones like Sally and I who are bloody and clothes tore up was held in containment longer. Sally and I were in containment the longest then everyone because we looked so beaten up but after 3 months they let us go and we went to our apartment in london.

We hung out with our parents a lot we were in london free of the military asking us questions of how we got there for at least 2 weeks I think. We met our parents at a cafe and drank coffee and ate croissants it was a good day, but sadly that day, September 22,2022 was the last day we saw our mothers.

22 hours later, Sally, and I were eating breakfast and the power went out. I went to the window and noticed the whole city power was out! I knew if the whole city power was out that means the shield around the town was down so I grabbed Sally’s hand and took off running dragging her behind me.

Sally kept up, looked at me, and asked “What's going on? Why are we running? It’s just a power outage!”

I think, I looked at her and said” it's not just a power outage the whole city lost power which means…” Like she had read my mind she took off to the armory with me in tow we grab our weapons and we took off out the main doors and headed toward the airport again and we find a plane and for some reason the family was already here we get in the plane and the family tells us the generator blew up and we were heading for hawaii and without question them we sit down in our seats we sat in each time. Sally fell asleep first and had laid her head on me and I couldn't help but smile that was my last good memory for awhile I think.

I had given up hope, a lot of people would have given up hope in Israel but I finally had but I still had to try for Sally and the family. I had promised myself on that day forth not to get too comfortable with any person or place incase of something bad to happening.

We got to Hawaii and we land noticing there was no one around. We all split up Sally and I went to the hangers and the family went into the airport. We heard screams and knew it was too late. We ran into the airport and we killed the Rakghouls that had killed the family. The body’s of the family were hardly recognizable. We had sliced all three of them making sure they were dead, the worst of the family was the little boy and I sliced him as well sadly it ended like that. We ran toward the trees and we made it to the tree line when we saw movement in the trees. A Rakghoul jumped out and slashed out at Sally and misses but jumps down on me and bites my arm and Then, he was off me dead on the ground. All of a sudden, like watching a horror movie from the murders perspective, I slash out at Sally pin her to the ground and I bite her arm infecting her. She screamed pleading with me but all I could do was watch as I tore her apart. I smiled at every part I tore off and every drop of blood that touched my mouth or body...

In my mind all I hear is voices not one not to but hundreds thousands maybe even millions all speaking at once all in a formed group some voices louder than others but when I spoke the voices stopped I thought I was their leader and the where my pack not my pack my army to do my bidding then I realized my memory was slowly fading. I did not care all I knew is everyone had to pay even the my family if I still had any left. I had looked at my clawed hands noticing I was still eating her… My best friend i had killed her… and I was eaten her… I had stopped eating her and through the body in the water and I realized and I smiled at it the pain my spikes were finally coming in and as I thought about it I realized I was growing in height I felt my strength grow I could see my color turn red and I realized they knew I was their alpha soon as I was biten.

The last thing I remember was that Sally did not turned into a freak like me. I remembered how it was to be human and how to feel. I remember the happiness and hope I felt in each place but it will never be the same. When I lay down at night with my eyes open I see how life used to be before we were running away- before life had changed forever. What I am is a human bitten by one of my brothers and now I got the virus. All I know is there was no such thing as a safe haven and you need to stick together and stand by your people and never let them go because when you let them go you can never get them back.

That was then this is now and my virus, my plague is spreading everywhere all over the world all over the galaxy all over the universe! Feeling the presence of other alphas on their planets was soothing knowing I didn't have control of every one. I finally know why the Rakghouls attacked all we need is chemicals we do not need human flesh no animals just chemicals and sunlight for at least a minute that's all we need for a full human year. My name’s Darl I am a Rakghoul I did kill my best friend and I did take over the universe in oner full sweep and I’m ready for what will happen next when the rakghouls want and need a new alpha, But until then I will rule over this world and end the human sickness and the human casualties will double if I don't end their sorrow. I hope you all understand why I did it why I had to stop the human problem , the human disease before they eradicated themselves. It was only a matter of time before they would have destroyed themselves , this planet , and the solar system. I must go my brothers and sisters are calling to me goodbye. If any humans still alive sees this and after reading this might want to turn around.