Gifted | Teen Ink

Gifted

April 30, 2018
By Cat_Valdez BRONZE, Deerfield, Wisconsin
More by this author
Cat_Valdez BRONZE, Deerfield, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Outside the window, it was storming. Everyone in the house was asleep except for one. A girl was still awake working hard on a project even though it was well past midnight and her parents had sent her to bed. She usually listened but tonight was different. She had to do this. She HAD to finish this project. She had been working on it for the past week. She worked quickly and quietly, typing on her computer one moment then grabbing something from her closet the next. 
Suddenly the girl stopped. She looked at the computer screen and looked at her desk. She realized she was missing something. The girl groaned inwardly. Despite having checked and rechecked her calculations and supplies she had missed something. She rummaged in the closet for a few minutes. Then she noticed that the back right shelf, where she had kept the missing item, had been bent. 
She reached to the shelf and felt along it. Nothing. She pushed harder with her mind. Still nothing. It had been taken during dinner, she knew that much. That meant none of her siblings or her parents had taken it.  None of them knew about this project anyway. Well, there was one sibling who knew about it. The girl went to the wall at her bed. She knocked on it, hard soft soft soft hard. A response back a few minutes later, hard hard. She went to her desk and waited. The door to her room opened silently revealing a boy with red curly hair in blue PJs.
“Yes?” The boy yawned.
“The piece is missing.”
“What!? How did you lose it?”
“I don’t know. It was during dinner. I know that much.”
“That is all you found out? Why didn’t you use your--”
“Don’t say it. Even now we have no idea who could be listening,” The girl interrupted him.
“Stop being so paranoid, Misty. It’s the middle of the night!”
“You might not care about my safety but I do!” Misty whisper-yelled at him.
“Ugh, but still you could have found out more, why didn’t you?”
“It was like blocked or something.”
“How was it blocked?”
“There is someone else in the house that is causing my ….. Uh, thing not to work.”
“Are you sure they are not outside the house? And why would somebody want to take the piece?”
“They don’t want me to remove my…..”
“This is to remove it? Why?”
“I just want to be a normal girl. Not some freak.” Misty whispered.
“You are not a freak!” the boy whisper-yelled at Misty. “You are gifted!”
“It is not that simple!”
“Uh huh.” He crossed his arms.
“And we aren’t here to argue about whether or not I am a freak---”
“You’re gifted!” he interrupted.
“We are here to find out how to get the piece back or make a new one.”
“Like you could make a new one. You had to go to Iceland to make the piece. Now you have to wait a year and then go to Mexico to make the next one. And anyway I won’t let you take away your--”
“I will do what I want, Logan.”
“NO!” Logan yelled. “You don’t understand.”
Logan clapped his hand over his mouth and looked scared. Feet thumped down the hallway. Misty raised her hand. The lights turned off and the door closed noiselessly. The two kids huddled together listening to the feet slapping along the ground. The door to the hall opened. A figure loomed in the doorway.
"What are you doing up so late?" Their dad asked. The two of them shared a quick glance before focusing their eyes back down at the ground, not daring to look into their father.
"Uh... Logan had a nightmare and came in with me."
“Okay, go back to bed soon.” Their dad called as he walked down the hall. He didn’t question the lie, even though the two teens were the same age. He must have been exhausted.
“What don’t I understand Logan?” Misty asked as soon as their dad had left the hall.
“Uh…” Logan started edging toward the doorway.
She stepped forward to intercept him. He darted past her and disappeared into the safety of his room. Misty walked to the wall and knocked, hard soft soft soft hard. The response was immediate, hard. She knocked on the wall again, hard hard hard soft. Her response was the same as before, hard. She groaned in frustration. Not only have I lost the piece that took FOREVER to make, Logan won’t talk to me anymore. She put away the mess on her desk and closed her computer. What to do next? She curled up in bed and fell asleep.

Meanwhile, in the bedroom opposite her, Logan was sitting on his bed wide awake. His thoughts were a whirlwind inside his head. Why do you want to take away your gifts Misty? She has so many, how would she take them all away? She could do so much with them. I have to continue with the plan, no wonder he wanted me to take that piece. It sounds like she would have finished it tonight. Misty had no idea how many people are after her. That’s why I have to do this. That’s why I have to do this.
Logan stepped off his bed, quickly got dressed and went to check that Misty was asleep. Misty was asleep, her long, red hair resting on the pillow.
“I am sorry, Misty.” He whispered.
He quietly took out a syringe that was full of a clear liquid. He was about to inject into his sister’s arm when there was a quiet whisper.
“You’re sorry about what?”
Misty grabbed his arm and opened her eyes.
“About this.” Logan had switched the syringe to his other hand and now plunged the needle into Misty’s arm. Her eyes grew bigger and she gasped. She let go of Logan’s arm and convulsed.
“Oh no!” Logan whispered.
He ran back to his room. He threw open the drawer that opened to his touch alone. He scanned the things that were in it. He had grabbed the right one. He raced back to Misty’s room. She was still, breathing so deeply he could barely tell.  He rushed over to her and checked her pulse. She had fallen into a deep slumber. His contact had explained that it would be another five hours before she woke.
Once Logan had made sure she was okay, he went down the hall to the door to the backyard. He opened the door, stepped out on the deck and whistled. From behind the trees, figures emerged. Three of them came to the porch. The middle one stepped forward and spoke to the 14-year-old.
“Did you get the sleep shot into her?”
“Yes, but--”
“We can talk on the way. Also, did you get the piece away from her today?”
“Yes, but--”
“Show us to her.”
“Okay.”
The three men followed Logan down the hall to Misty’s room. The two men who hadn’t spoken yet reached out and were about to grab Misty when the leader stepped forward and said,
“Wait a moment.”
He reached out and grabbed her face in his hands.
“Hey! Don’t do that!”
Logan sprang forward to stop the man from grabbing his sister. The two other men grabbed him and held him back.
“She is so powerful. Has she realized yet how powerful she is? Has she explored the full extent of her gifts?”
“No. She was afraid to.” Replied Logan, still struggling.
“Hmm….”
He laid her head back on the pillow and gestured to one of the men. One let go of Logan and picked up his sister. The man cradled her in his arms. The other man let go of his arm as well. The men walked out of the door with Misty. The leader turned around to Logan.
“Are you coming?”
“Yes, but what---”
“Not here!” the leader hissed. “Grab her the things that she needs.”
Logan grabbed a bag that was quite heavy and joined the men in the hall. They went down the hall in silence. Once the men and Logan were out of the door, Logan turned around and locked it. He dashed after the men into the woods. He was soon soaked by the rain. When he caught up to them he checked on his sister. Her head bounced as the party ran through the woods.
“Hey! Be careful with her!”
The men slowed down. Her head stopped bouncing. They soon reach the road. A dark van was waiting for them. Misty was laid in back. Logan joined his knocked out sister. The men climbed up front.
“We’ll be driving for most of the night before we reach the train. Will you be okay?” The leader asked.
“Will I get answers on the train?”
“Yes, but quiet for now.”
“Okay.”
Logan sat in the back staring at his sister. He stayed that way for a long time before falling asleep.

I wake up to Misty whispering at me.
“Logan! Logan! Are you awake?”
“Now I am,” I said groggily.
“We have been kidnapped! We need to get out.”
“What!? What makes you think that?”
“Well let me see…. I woke up in the back of a strange car with handcuffs on. And you’re telling me we’re not kidnapped?”
“You’re handcuffed?! They--”
“Who are you talking about? What do you mean?”
“Turn around.”
Misty turned around. Sure enough her hands were cuffed behind her back. When I went to move them, I discovered they were very tight, squeezing her wrists.
“Frag!”
I turned around and banged on the window that separated us from the men in front. The car pulled over and we heard a door open and slam shut. Heavy thuds came around to the back doors. The doors opened to reveal the leader. Misty screamed and ran to the window. The leader grabbed me and hauled me out.
“What is it?” he asked.
“Why did you handcuff her?”
“We had to because of her gifts. If we hadn’t handcuffed her if she had lost control she could’ve destroyed the van and more.”
“Oh…. How long till we reach the train?”
“Half an hour.”
“Okay”
The leader helped me back into the van. Misty was still pressed against the window. The leader closed the door and returned to the front of the van.
“Logan,”
Her voice was shrill. I reluctantly met Misty’s eyes.
“What--” Her voice caught. “What is going on?”
“Umm….”
“The piece…. That was you wasn’t it? You’re helping them! Loogaan!” Her voice had gotten even shriller.
“The piece….was me. My contact---” He admitted reluctantly
“Your contact!!?? Is that who you were talking out there with? Planning what to do with me and how to split the money?” Misty was crying now.
“No! Of course not. I would never do that to you!”
“I don’t want to hear it!” She was yelling now. “I thought I could trust you! But clearly, I can’t.”
Misty turned her back on me.
“Misty, please! You don’t understand! This is to protect you.”
Misty gave no response to me. In the reflection, I could see her eyes were storming.
Oh no. I know that look.
The truck pulled over again. The doors were opened and slammed shut again. The doors to the back of the van were flung open.

“Get out Logan.”
I got out of the back of the van. One of the two other men went into the van with a syringe.
“No! Don’t do this to her! You promised!”
The man went in and scuffling was heard. Five minutes later the man came back out with a black eye.
“That thing!” The man said in disgust. “She knows more than that boy said she did! She did a mind thing on me. I am not going in there again!”
“Did you get the drug in her though?”
“No! You try to go and get it in!”
“Okay.” The leader waved in the other man.
I lunged at him and dragged him back. The man disentangled himself from me.
“NO! I won’t let you do it.”
Without thinking I threw out my hand towards the guy. Electricity crackled and hit him in the chest. The man gasped for air and collapsed. Misty had been watching the scene with a calm expression until now.
“Logan!” Gasped the leader and Misty at the same time.
“You never told me.” Misty looked astounded.
“YOU! You just knocked out one of my best men!” He signaled to the other man that was standing there. The man went to the front of the van and grabbed something from the front seats. He came back around with a pair of handcuffs. He came toward me.
“Why handcuffs on me now too? And I didn’t knock him out, just gave him a jolt of energy,”
“They will block your electricity. Her handcuffs should block her powers but--”
“They don’t. And I am not putting on handcuffs. And you can’t make me.”
“Fine. Just get in the back and control her.”
“I can’t control her! She is her own person!”
“Get in the back.”
I climbed in the back. Misty stared at me. The back doors were closed. Heavy thudding back to the front doors. The doors slammed shut and they continued on their way. Misty stared at me.
“Ummm….”
I stepped closer to my twin. I had already revealed one gift without meaning to so why not?
“I can um…. Get rid of your cuffs if you want.”
Misty turned so I could get them off.   I reached out my hand and there was a click. To disguise it, I sent a bolt of electricity crackling. I didn’t have very good control though. The cuffs fell off. Misty turned around and flung her arms around me. I staggered back in surprise.
“You never told me you were like me.” She whispered.
“You have so many and I just have that one.” My voice wavered. Could she tell I was lying?
“You’re still like me. Why did you do this anyway?”
“You weren’t safe. Neither of us was. They were coming. He offered protection.”
“You could’ve told me about it. And who was coming?”
“No. You wouldn’t have trusted him. That’s why I had to do it alone.” I ignored the question.
Misty pulled out of the hug and sat next to me.
“Where are we going next? Where are they taking us? And why didn’t you tell them all of the powers I have?”
“They’re taking us to a safe place that is all I know. And I didn’t trust them enough to tell them that you had other powers developed besides the history thing.”

We sat together, backs against the window until the doors opened again and we were brought out to an underground tunnel. The men keep trying to separate us but we refused to be apart. A silver train rolled into the tunnel. Everybody got on and sat in one car. The leader sat opposite of us.
“Why did you take me?” was Misty’s first question.
“I can’t tell you that. Any other questions?”
“Where are we going?” interjected I before Misty could press her question.
“To a safe place for you and Misty.”
“But where?”
“I am not going to tell you that either. My turn for questions. What powers have you developed so far Misty?”
“I am not going to tell you that. And where is the bag?”
“Oh yes. My men have it.” He gestured to the men.
One came over and handed Misty the bag. She dug into it quickly and pulled out a vile. She quickly injected the contents into her arm.
“Ah…. That’s better.” She said with relief. “I assume the drug that my oh so helpful brother gave me was designed to weaken my powers right? As well as knock me out.” She glared at me.
“Yes. Do you know the full extent of your powers yet? Do you know that had we not have done that, when you almost lost control earlier you could have killed everyone in the car and could have destroyed it? I knew you had more powers than your brother let on,”
Misty looked stunned. I put my arm around her shoulders.
“We not only took you to protect you but to protect others. You need to learn to control all of your powers at all times for the safety of others around you.” He checked his watch. “Good ten minutes left.”
“Are you sure? How can you tell if Misty is actually like that? She has been alone this long and it has been fine.”
“The powers grow stronger as you come of age.”
“That’s 18! We are four years from that!”
“Not with your powers. They mature at fifteen.”
“What!?”
The train slowed to a stop. The doors opened with a pleasant ding. Misty, the three men and I stepped out onto a platform that was brightly lit. The men hurried us across to the door on the left side. We walked upstairs to the surface and came out on a street in a city with towering skyscrapers. We went across the street to the building labeled ‘Private Property. Do Not Enter.’ The leader took something from his pocket and swiped it across a scanner. The door clicked open and the group hurried inside.  The leader led Misty and I to another staircase. He hurried us down the stairs a few flights and when he opened the door, there was a long gray hallway with many doors. The man hurried us down to door 16. He opened it and showed us where we would be staying for now.
There were a metal bunk bed and a table in the middle. There was a door in the back and a refrigerator. There were two wooden dressers by the bunk bed.
“I’ll have food brought to you for today. At twelve I will send for you so I can give you an introduction to this place.”
He left without another word.
Misty crossed over to the bunk bed and sat on the bottom.
“Logan,” I turned to face her. “Why did you do it? You knew I could take care of myself. And why didn’t you tell me about yours? And why--”
I threw up a hand towards a corner of our room and electricity crackled from my hands. A loud whine filled the room for a minute and then it was quiet again. Next, I gestured toward the door and there was a click.
“I did it because I was worried. Every week I would have to get some person out of our woods because they were after you. And I couldn’t tell you about mine. It just developed recently.”
“You still could have told me. And good thinking with the camera and the door. Can I have the bottom bunk?”
“Sure.”
There was a knock on the door.
“Yes?” I said.
“I brought food,” said a female voice. “Could you unlock the door?”
I thrust out my hand and there was a click again. I threw my hand down quickly and Misty made it look like she had done it.
A woman walked in with a tray of food.
“The boss told me to answer some of your questions. Here are some fruit and bagels. Today is the only day that we will bring food to your room unless it is a special occasion.”
“Thanks,” Misty and I chorused.
We took the food and quickly divided it.
“Do you have any questions?”
“Who are you?” I asked.
“I am just one of the assistants that work here.”
“Why did the guy want me?” asked Misty bluntly.
“Umm….. I can’t answer that. But he probably will when you get the tour and introduction,” She laughed nervously.
“Then we’re good. You can go now,”
“Umm…. Well….Just make sure you’re dressed in your uniforms,”
Misty stood up and gave her a glare as hard and as cold as ice. The woman hurried out of the room.
“It works every time!” Laughed Misty.
“Well almost every time,” corrected I as I locked the door.
“So what can you do Logan?”
“Electricity,” I held up my hand, which was crackling with energy. “Something with locks and I can sense machinery.”
“Cool. Is that how you got my handcuffs off earlier? I mean with the lock thing? Why did you disguise it?”
“Yes, with the locks. What ---”
“Logan. Do you realize what the drug you gave me did?”
“It was supposed to just knock you out,” I shifted uncomfortably.
“Well, it did more than that. It entirely inhibited one of my ‘powers’. I can’t use it at all. And I bet Mr. in charge of it all has the antidote for it and won’t give it to me until I say I will cooperate.”
“No!”
“Yes.”
“Misty, I’m so sorry,”
“On the bright side, you only told him about that one so, It’s only that!”
“Misty….--”
“Please, it’s fine.” She looked furious. I quickly got out of her range, knowing what that look meant, and went to check out the dresser that had my name on it. It had three drawers. I opened the top one. It had three plain gray uniforms. The middle one contained black shirts and the bottom had jeans and shorts in it. I heard another drawer slide open and looked up. Misty was looking in her dresser too. It had exactly what I had except the shirts were blue. Misty slammed her drawers shut and sat on her bed again. I grabbed one of my uniforms and went and changed in the bathroom. When I came out Misty was still on her bed.
“Ah…. Misty, you should probably get your uniform on.”
“Fine.”
Misty grabbed her uniform and changed in the bathroom. After she had changed, we ate the food that had been brought. Yelling sounded in the hall and was followed by running. Misty closed her eyes and concentrated while I looked at her expectantly. Finally Misty opened her eyes.
“Two boys, they’re fighting about whether or not there are newcomers here. Can’t wait to beat them up. But they don’t know  to not mess with us do they?”

“Nope,” I smiled. “Do you have to take the medicine yet?”
“I probably should take it now before we’re called for,”
Misty reached into her bag and took out a vile. She plunged the needle into her arm.
“That’s better. Wait don’t you have to take them too?”
“No, your powers are stronger. Mine don’t need it.”
“Okay.”
We sat in silence for a while, the lie hanging in the air, both of us knowing it was there.

There was a knock on the door. I stood up to get it then remembered that Logan could take care of it and sat back down. Logan thrust out his hand again and there was a click. I raised my hand as he lowered his then said,
“Come in,”
The door opened as I lowered my hand. It was the woman from before.
“He is ready to give you the tour and introduction now. If you would please follow me.”
“Fine,” Logan said.
I stood up from the table and walked to the door. Logan was close behind. The woman brought us to the opposite end of the hallway from which we came in. At the end was another set of stairs. She lead us up one flight and opened the door. She hurried us down the hallway to the end, not pausing at any of the doors to either side. Once we reached the door she knocked.
“Come in,” said the guy who kidnapped me.
The woman opened the door and waved us into his office. It was a plain office with a wooden desk and a computer and stacks of paper on it. The man sat behind the desk in a swivel chair.
“Please, sit,” he monotoned.
Logan and I sat in the two chairs he indicated. I crossed my arms and glared at him.
“You can call me Dr. Phil. I’ll--”
“Doctor?” I said furiously. “LIke a scientist doctor? You going to experiment on me?” As you can see I was VERY mad.
“Yes, like a scientist and no, no experiments. Now can I continue without interruption?”
“Yes,” I was still storming inside though.
“There are other kids that I have invited,” he continued. “ to come here and be protected under one condition. You agreed to listen without interrupting me,” He reminded me as I looked like I was about to interject again. “You can not use your powers in the halls. But if I remember correctly your powers were disabled correct?”
“Yes.” I was calm now, that calm when you get so furious that you could destroy something.
“I will give you the antidote to that once I know I can trust you.”
“No, you’ll give it to me now.” I pushed with my mind against his, trying to influence him.
“Of course, wait no, yes,” He grabbed his head in between his arms. He grabbed an item from his desk and slipped it on his wrist. It was a black bracelet.
“No, this is why I won’t give it to you. Because you use your powers against me. Now come on, it’s time for your tour. Logan, don’t you dare mess the bracelet,”
Logan, what should we do? I projected my thoughts to him. He looked into my eyes.
Just go along with it, for now, We could find out useful things.
I glared at him but gave a tiny nod. We stood up and followed Dr. Phil down the hall. He led us back down the stairs. He opened the door to the hallway that was connected to our room.
“This is the hallway with the rooms were all the kids are staying. Lights out is at ten o’clock,” he closed the door and led us down another flight. He opened the door and led them into the hallway. There were five doors, two on one side and three on the other. The ones on the left were distanced from equally from each other each other and the right had a set of double doors.
“These two,” he gesturing to the closest and farthest door on the left side, “Are locker rooms that lead to the training room. The middle door leads directly to the training room. Do not use it unless absolutely necessary. These doors on the right go to the cafeteria. Mealtimes are at seven, twelve, and six. Training starts at eight and you are expected to be in short sleeve shirts and shorts. It goes until eleven thirty. After lunch, you have training till two and after that free time until dinner. You are expected to be in your rooms by nine-thirty and lights out at ten. If you have a mission you report to my office. Do not go past these two floors unless you have specific instructions to do so. You will join the training session after lunch. Any questions?”

Both Logan and I looked stunned. It seemed to be a very strict place.
“How long do you have for meals and what time are we expected to wake up at?” Logan and I asked.
“Thirty minutes for each meal and you are expected to be awake at six. Now I will have lunch brought to you again. If you don’t follow this schedule and the rules we will have to change a few variables to make you behave. Come on,” He stepped through into the staircase. “And don’t think I don’t know about you disabling the camera, Logan. You can continue to do this if both of you are on your best behavior. And Logan, you will have to use your power. You do understand that right?”
“Umm…. yes but also--” Logan turned to me and pleaded me to cover him after he lied again to me.
“I will need more of the strengthening mixture as well. Is there anybody else who needs as strong as I do?”
“There are two others. You will meet them in training. And I will have more sent to your room. Logan, do you need some too?”
“Yes, of the lesser stuff though,”
“Okay,”
They had reached their door by then.
“Goodbye,” Dr. Phil left them in the hallway.
I turned the doorknob and walked into our room. On the table were two sandwiches. Logan and I sat down and ate them quickly. I got up and reached into my bag. I pulled out one of the vials and injected into my arm. I looked at Logan. He had probably never used his powers as often as I had and the few times that he had used had probably left him drained. Logan’s face was pale. He took long breaths and looked exhausted. I really had to get him the drug I used but in a very small amount. I turned inward and searched where I had been before, my mind flying into Dr. Phil’s office and nudging his mind. He still had the bracelet that prevented me from influencing him but I could still talk to him.
Dr. Phil. Can you hear me?
He jolted up from his computer and looked around the room.
Dr. Phil, it’s just Misty.
He relaxed and sat back in his chair.
What do you need Misty? He asked.
It’s Logan. He has never used his powers this often and looks like he is about to collapse. He needs the drug NOW.
I understand. I will have it brought from the labs in a few minutes.
Thank you. I slipped back into my body.

Logan looked even worse. I stood up from my bunk and gently guided him into it. He barely reacted. I started pacing the room. Five minutes went by before there was a knock on the door. I rushed to it and opened it. It was the woman from before. Gosh, I needed to find out her name so it wasn’t always the woman from before. But instead of asking I just ripped the bag from her hands and rushed to Logan. I took out a vial and injected into his arm. He gave a deep sigh of relief. I turned to the woman, who was standing in the doorway.

“Thank you,”

“You’re welcome,”

“What’s your name?”

“Dr. Grace but you can call me Grace,”

“Thank you, Grace,” I looked at her arm and realized that she had a black bracelet on.

She followed my eyes, “Everyone will have to wear these around you, due to your powers. We can’t risk anything,”

“Okay,”

“Training will start soon, do you think Logan will be okay in time?”

“In twenty minutes I think he’ll be okay. When does training start?”

“You have to report in thirty minutes, okay?”

“Yes, we’ll be there. If Logan’s not ready by then?”

“It’s fine if he doesn’t make it,”

“Okay, bye thank you again,”

Grace left, closing the door behind her. I turned to Logan. His face had regained some color but he was still looking bad.

“Logan?”

No response. Misty slipped out of her body and flew at his mind.

LOGAN!

What?!

Are you okay?

Better now that you gave me the drug.

Do you think you’ll be able to do training in thirty minutes?

Probably. I just need some more time.

Okay.

I slipped back into my body and went over to my dresser. I pulled out a pair of shorts and a blue shirt and went to the bathroom to change. I reemerged a few minutes later. Logan was still on the bed but his eyes were clear now.

“You okay?”

“I’ve been better,” He laughed a little.

“You should probably get changed,”

He stood up and grabbed his shorts and shirt and went into the bathroom. I started messing around with my powers while I waited. I wondered what the training was, physical, mental, or gift?

I looked at Logan’s top dresser drawer and pulled it with my mind. It slid open revealing his uniforms. I grabbed one of them and floated them over to the bathroom door and waited. The door opened in a minute. Logan realized two things right away. I was concentrating above him and his drawer was open. Too late. I broke my concentration from the uniform and it fell on his face.
“Hey! No fair,” He picked it up and returned it to his drawer and closed it. “Should we go now?”
“Yes, let’s head down,”
I opened the door and Logan and I headed down the hallway. Another door opened as we were passing it. A bulky boy stepped out and just before closing it yelled,
“Hurry up you slowpoke!” Then he turned and saw us.
Logan and I froze. The boy smiled an evil smile and started circling us. He had on a black t-shirt like Logan. I recognized his energy. It was the same boy who said, well thought, that he couldn’t wait to beat us up.
“Well, well, well. What do we have here?” The boy sneered.
“Don’t mess with us. You’ll regret it,”
“Oh, will I? Hey Tim! Come here! Some hot chick is saying that if we mess with her we’ll regret it. What do you think of that? Is your little boyfriend here going to protect you?” He taunted.
“No. For the record, he is my brother, not my boyfriend,”
The boy called Tim emerged from the room. He was tall and blond.
“If we mess with you will regret it?” Asked Tim. “Please. You are going down,”
“Just see about that!” Logan and I said at the same time.
“Should we show them, John?”
“Yes!”
I slipped out of my body before Either of them could make a move. I nudged their minds toward their room. By the time I was back in my body, both boys had returned to their room. They wouldn’t be coming out till we were in the stairs. Logan and I continued without a word. We reached the stairs without anyone else coming out to the hallway. We went down a flight and went into the training room via the doors Dr. Phil had indicated. Logan and I parted ways. I walked through the locker room quickly because no one else was there. When I exited the other side it opened into a huge gymnasium. One guy stood in the center of the room with one leg bent and the foot crossing his other knee and his eyes closed. The door opened on the other side. Logan emerged. The man opened his eyes and walked toward us.
“Hello, my name is Mr. Felix. I would like to assess your skills now,”
“Umm….” Logan and I said.
“What do you mean?” I asked.
“You are going to use your gifts. ALL of them,” He glared at me.
“Fine,” I rolled my eyes. “You want to go first, Logan?”
“Sure. Although I am going to need some stuff….”
“What do you need?”
“A lock. Some hidden machinery that is concealed very well. Oh… wait….” His eyes glazed over. Then He raised his hand and shot an uncontrolled blast directly behind Mr. Felix. He ducked. My ears registered a whine. Then Logan turned toward the boys’ locker room, thrust his hand out toward the lock and there was a click. Next, he raised his hand. Electricity crackled between his fingers. He raised it and shot another bolt at the camera and turned and unlocked the door again. He faced Mr. Felix again. Mr. Felix raised his eyebrows at me.
“Your turn?” Mr. Felix asked.
I nodded and relaxed. I slipped out of my body and flew around the room disabling the cameras, knowing that Logan would be able to fix them. Then I nudged Mr. Felix’s mind just a bit to let him know that I could do that too.
Do you want me to do the rest?
Wh--? Yes, do the rest.
I slipped back into my body and locked onto Mr. Felix’s light. I pulled him up and then tossed him to the right, catching him and returning him to the ground. Then I turned inside and summoned a storm. I don’t know how I can do it indoors but I can. Thunder clouds formed on the ceiling. I told them to thunder. A booming echo filled the room. I willed it to rain in a circle around us. A thin rain circled us. I forced the storm away. I turned and ran at the wall.
“MISTY! What are you doing?” Logan yelled at me. I didn’t respond. I hadn’t told him about this one yet.
Mr. Felix didn’t look too concerned. I ran at the wall and jumped toward the wall at the last second. My feet landed squarely; on the wall. I walked up to the ceiling and stood upside down, my hair falling. I jumped, willing my little gravity bubble down to the ground. I turned it off the second my feet made contact with the floor. I turned and concentrated on the doors. I sent out a prob with my mind to the locker rooms.
“There are ten girls and twenty-five boys in the locker rooms,” I turned to Logan. “May I use you for a second?”
“Sure,” he shrugged.
I grabbed his arms and put them straight out on either side. I grabbed his wrists and tapped his palms, sending pain rippling through his body. I touched his neck and he collapsed. I passed my hand over him and he was fine. Mr. Felix seemed skeptic of that one. I turned in again and imagined myself a dog. A dog with long, reddish-brown hair took my place. I walked over to a hurdle set and leaped over each of them without so much as scratching them. I trotted back to Logan and Mr. Felix and reverted to my human self.
“You will demonstrate the pain gift to me. How many animals can you do?”
“A lot,”
I walked over to him and had him put his arms out, palms up. I touched the center of his palm and sent waves of pain ricocheting through his body. He gasped. I touched his neck. He collapsed. I waved my hand at him and removed the pain. He stood up and nodded.
“That is a lot of gifts you have,” He sounded jealous. “The training session will begin now, are you ready to meet the others?”
“Yes,” Logan and I said together.
He pressed a button on his watch. A bell rang. The locker doors opened and teenagers streamed out.

They quickly got into groups of about four to five and face Mr. Felix.
“This is Misty and Logan. I want you to be welcoming and respectful of them. Bolts, can you take Logan?”
There was some murmuring among them and then a boy with long, brown hair said,
“We can take him,”
“Shifters, can you take Misty?”
This time there was no discussion.
“We’ll take her,” Said Tim with a sneer.
“Good, begin your individual exercises,”
“Come on girlie!” Tim said it quietly so that Mr. Felix didn’t hear him. I surveyed the group before I joined them. There was four, three boys and a girl. One of the boys seemed shy, while the other to was just plain hostile. The girl was also shy, although she was full of energy. Tim and the other hostile boy looked like they wanted to beat me up or something.
“This is Matthew,” Tim gestured to the other hostile boy. “This is Elliott and Pepper,”
Matthew had dark hair, while Elliott had a soft brown. Pepper was a redhead.
“Hi,”
“Alright, now that the introductions have been made, you show us how many animals you can do,”
“One second,” I smiled sweetly before probing Mr. Felix’s mind.
How much should I show them?
Show them just the animal one. DO NOT show them anything else.
I imagined myself the dog from before. A dog with long, reddish-brown fur took my place.
“Can you do anything else?” Jeered Tim.
I had switched to a cat before he was finished. Then there was a mouse in my place. And then a falcon flying around their heads.
“Alright, revert to human form,”
As I landed on the floor I switched back to human form.
“Okay, for today’s exercises we will continue to work on dog form. Everybody should have complete control over the animal and we’ll be doing hurdles. Swap forms!”
Five dogs had taken place of the humans. Tim had a golden retriever, Matthew and Elliott had hunting dogs, while Pepper had a bright red dog which seemed graceful. Tim the golden retriever walked over to the hurdles. He waved at Matthew to go. Matthew the hunting dog leap over five of the eight hurdles before getting c***ing, misjudging the leap, got his leg ripped out from underneath him, and fell to the floor with a crash. Mr. Felix came over looking furious.
“Tim!”

Tim changed back to human form.
“It’s wasn’t my fault!” He protested. “I just asked them to do the hurdles. Nothing extreme!”
Mr. Felix didn’t look convinced.
“I can always replace you as team leader if I deem necessary,” He stalked off carrying Matthew.
“Alright, Elliott you are up next,”
Elliott leaped through all of them without much effort. Pepper did okay too. I was right about her dog being graceful.
“All right girlie, your turn,”
I lept over each hurdle easily.
Tim followed closely behind, almost nipping at my tail. Just then Mr. Felix called everyone over.
“It’s time for the group exercise. I want everyone to run two laps around the gym, twenty push-ups, thirty sit-ups, and then obstacle course number three. Any questions? Then off you go,”
I started running with everyone else around the gym. I glanced around to find Logan, he was coming up behind me. Logan fell into step with me.
“How was your team exercises?” I asked.
“They were fine. Wilson should us how to do controlled lighting blasts. How was yours?”
“Tim had everyone do dog form and jump over hurdles. Matthew got his leg wrenched because he misjudged a leap,”
“I think you have a shadow,”
Pepper had been keeping pace just behind us and when I turned she seemed embarrassed and started to slow a bit to leave us alone.
“Pepper, wait,”
She sped up and kept pace beside me.
“Hi,” She said shyly. Apparently, I was right about that.
“Hi, Pepper. This is Logan,”
“Hey, Pepper,”
“Hi. I’m sorry about earlier, Tim keeps us in line. We can’t talk at all during team exercises. It’s so cool that you guys came. It’s been awhile since anybody new has come. How was your trip? What was your test like?”
“It’s fine about earlier, I understand with Tim but what test?”
“You didn’t get the test? Dr. Phil said everyone went through a test to see if they actually had the gifts they claimed to have,”
“Huh. We didn’t get a test,” Logan gave a cough. I whipped my head around to him. “Let me guess you got a test didn’t you? But of course, I didn’t need a test because--”
“Misty! Don’t!”
“What are you talking about?” Pepper interjected.
“We’re talking--”
“About nothing. We’re talking about nothing. Just forget it,” I glared at Logan.
Just then I realized the two laps were over. I started doing push-ups. Logan and Pepper did them on either side of me.
“Misty,” Logan whispered.
I stared straight ahead, not giving him a response.
“You need to be careful about that. You could still be in so much danger here,”
“I don’t care. What could the rest of them do about it? Like, let’s see, nothing!” I was seething at him.
“Misty!”
I rolled my eyes and began doing sit-ups. Logan finished his push-ups too and did sit-ups. Luckily the conversation died. Pepper started her sit-ups too.
“Do you want to hang out during free-time?” She asked.
“Sure,”
I finished up my sit-ups and looked around. A few people were finishing up but most had just started their sit-ups.
“Pepper, where is obstacle course three?”
“Come on, I’ll show you,”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


on May. 16 2018 at 4:16 pm
WolfWhisperer0911 BRONZE, Austin, Texas
1 article 0 photos 623 comments
@RiaReads Great job on the novel.