Unrealistic Fiction | Teen Ink

Unrealistic Fiction

By HumanFromSpace BRONZE, Buffalo, Wyoming
HumanFromSpace BRONZE, Buffalo, Wyoming

This is a small project, but looking back on it I did put a good amount of effort and thinking into it. I wrote it mostly because it was fun to write.

Here's the first chapter. Read it closely and pay attention to all details. ;)

Edith’s life is alright how she sees it. Her life is about the same daily, but not in a bad way. Not much good happened. Nothing bad happened. For now, it was a bit boring. She wanted something to change.

She walked down the stairs of the apartment building where she lived. She thought it would be nice if they put in an elevator, but then she decided that maybe she could use the exercise.

She opened the glass front door and felt the cool spring breeze on her face. The morning sun was warm and bright. It was a nice day, like every other day.

Every day, Edith walked to school. Since every day was nice, why wouldn’t she walk? It wasn’t that far away. She could even see the highschool from her apartment. She looked around and saw everyone walking towards their destination, just like her. Nothing was different.

But this week, Edith realized as she got to the high school, is different. This was the week of the dance. She didn’t have anyone to go to the dance with. Not yet, at least.

As she walked into the school, the first thing she noticed was her friend Troy at his locker, next to Edith’s locker. She walked up to him.

“Hi!” she said to him happily.

“Hey! What’s up?” He turned to her, smiling.

“Oh, the usual. I just realized that the dance is coming up, just a few days. You going?”

“Eh, I don’t know, maybe.”

“I’m probably only going if Ashley’s going.” Ashley was Edith’s best friend, who she usually would hang out with after school.

But what Edith said wasn’t completely true. Sure, she would probably go if Ashley was going, but she still hoped that maybe, just maybe, Troy would ask her to the dance. Troy was a pretty good friend of her’s. She liked him more than that, though. It might not seem like he’s different than any other teenaged boy, but she has had a crush on him for a while. After they became friends and Edith got to know him, she just liked him even more.

Edith grabbed her books from her locker after her conversation with Troy and walked to class. She made a left turn into the next hallway and turned left again through the classroom door. She sat where she usually sits, next to her friend Ashley.

“Hey, Edith,” Ashley greeted her.

“Hey,” Edith replied.

“So, I just found out that Kathy likes Troy. I was... sort of eavesdropping,” Ashley said quietly.

“Wait, really? Does Troy like her?”

“I’m not sure.”

Edith was frustrated. Just around the time of the dance, someone else who is better than her likes the only person she’s ever had a crush on.

“What if Kathy asks him before I do, and he can’t say no?” Edith was walking home with her friend Ashley by her side. Ashley couldn’t hang out today, but she still goes the same direction to get home.

“Well, maybe that means that you just have to ask him first,” Ashley replied, smiling. “You do like him, right?”

“Yeah, I think so.” Edith’s apartment  was just up ahead. “Well, we’ll just see what happens. Bye!”

“Goodbye!” Edith looked back at her friend, waved, and continued to walk into her apartment. She usually waited for her mom to come into the apartment because her mom got off work at around the time that school ends.

She took a seat in the lobby next to a kid that is normally there when she gets to the apartment. Edith didn’t know why he was there or why he was waiting, but he always talked to her.

“Hi, Milo,” she greeted him.

“Hi. How’s it going?” he asked casually.

“Good. Y’know, I’ve been wondering, why are you always here? What are you waiting for?” Edith asked curiously.

Milo was silent for a moment. “Why does it matter to you?”

“Just curious.” They waited in silence for a bit, then Edith heard the apartment door open. “Probably my mom. Bye.”

“Bye,” Milo said, left to be alone again.

3-14-18

I have to say, I’m a bit frustrated today. Kathy likes the only crush I’ve had for a few years, so that’s new. With the help of Ashley, though, I will try my best to get him first! Is that selfish?

If you're bored with this story, then don't worry. It gets better.

The next day at lunch, Edith was sitting at a table in the center of her two best friends, Ashley and Troy. Not many other people sat at the table, just some other people who they were acquainted with and were comfortable sitting with.

At a distant table in the center of the cafeteria sat the more popular groups. The popular groups included Edith’s new possible nemesis, Kathy.

Ashley whispered quietly as possible beside Edith. “Now could be your chance, you know.”

“Chance for what?” It seemed that Troy had overheard anyways.

“Nothing!” Edith smiled. Did she cover that up well? Edith turned back to Ashley, but she was staring behind Edith with a strange expression on her face. Edith looked behind herself, and saw Kathy closer to their table than she had ever been, next to Troy.

“Hey, Kat,” Troy said politely.

Kat? He doesn’t have any nicknames for me, Edith thought angrily to herself.

“Hi, Troy! So, I was just wondering… Well, the dance is coming up, and all that… And, well, I was just wondering if you’d like to go with me,” Kathy said, as Edith knew she would.

“Uh… maybe. I’ll think about it,” Troy replied shyly. I’ll think about it? That sounds like he just rejected her but didn’t want to say it. Edith was happy with that, but thought herself selfish.

Kathy looked disappointed. Edith thought that she was thinking the same thing as her, that she had just been rejected. “Oh. Ok,” she said as she turned and walked quickly back to her table.

After school, Edith was able to go to Ashley’s house. They were upstairs in Ashley’s room, talking about the events of the day.

“Maybe he has you in mind instead of her,” Ashley said.

“Maybe. But he had so many chances today, and he didn’t ask me.” Edith wondered if maybe he had someone else in mind. Not her or Kathy. “Or maybe he just did want to think about it. Maybe he’ll end up with her after all. For all we know, he could have a crush on you.”

“I’m sure he doesn’t have a crush on me. I know what it’s like when someone has a crush. It’s definitely not me. To me, it really seems like he likes you. He probably was working up the nerve to ask you. I mean, maybe tonight he’s going to prepare to ask you to the dance tomorrow…” Ashley wondered.

“Maybe…”

3-15-18

I feel like Ashley could definitely be right. It doesn’t make sense, but at the same time it does. But I really do think it’s possible that he likes me.

Anyways, when I got back to the apartment from Ashley’s, for some reason Milo was there. Still waiting where he usually does. I just said hi to him, but why is he still there? Doesn’t he live at the apartment? Doesn’t he have parents? It doesn’t matter much to me, it’s just weird.

Wow, she totally got exactly what she wanted, right? But will it stay that way?

50 67 20 64 70 76 73 74 66 20 6a 75 20 78 70 6f 27 75 2e

Edith suffered a long school day the next day. She was in the last class period, tired of school and ready to leave. Plus, she had to do a group project with Kathy and a few of her friends. She wished she would’ve been put in a group with Troy since he was in that class.

There were only a few minutes left of class, and everyone in the room started talking more and got ready to leave the class. Out of the corner of her eye, Edith saw Troy approaching Edith and the group she was with.

“Hi, Tr--” Kathy began, but Troy cut her off.

“Edith,” he greeted Edith, smiling. Edith smiled too, mostly because of seeing Kathy’s offended look. “So I’ve been wondering, would you want to go to the dance with me?”

Edith was speechless for a moment. He said that in front of Kathy? Edith thought. “...As friends?” It was a stupid question, but she just had to be sure.

“Not exactly.” Troy continued to smile shyly.

“Sure,” Edith accepted. The bell rang, and Edith left without daring to glance back at Kathy. Her and Troy parted ways without saying any more.

Edith went over to Ashley’s house again. She had already told her what had happened during the end of school. Ashley was very excited.

“See? See, I told you! He really likes you! So after this, is he going to be, like, your boyfriend? You two should start dating after this, definitely.” Ashley was smiling excitedly.

“I don’t know! I don’t know anything yet. I just know that I’m going to the dance with him. That’s all. Anyways, what about you? Isn’t there someone you want to go to the dance with?” Edith knew that Ashley was excited about her and Troy, but why hadn’t Edith heard anything about her?

“Well, I guess if anyone asks me. But it doesn’t matter much to me.” Ashley continued smiling. “The dance is tomorrow. Right now, you have to prepare, y’know?”

“Heh, yeah. But I still don’t believe that he actually likes me.”

3-16-18

I don’t believe that he actually asked me! I mean, I knew there was a good possibility, but I really don’t believe it! And I only one day to prepare for the dance…

I had a dream last night. I don’t remember having dreams often, but this one I a little bit. I remember seeing my parents, but they weren’t my parents. In the dream, I knew they were my parents, but they didn’t look related to me or like my parents at all. My parents both have blonde hair, and these parents’s hair was dark. I remember them being really sad, and I felt sad too. But why? It was a strange dream.

It doesn’t matter right now, though! I have to prepare for the dance!