A dragons lullaby | Teen Ink

A dragons lullaby

August 17, 2018
By Dustycloud, Howlong, Other
More by this author
Dustycloud, Howlong, Other
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

My grammar isn't the best.

The author's comments:

I thought hard about it

A thick, black fog hung over the sky covering most of the area of blue. A little girl sat in a corner wedged between two grey walls. Scared of the creature producing the black fog. She shrieked every time it roared tears started to swell. That beast burnt every house, wheat field and person around. She wouldn't move from that spot.

 

Her mother lay beside her barley alive pleading for her daughter to run. Far away. But she cried as another roar shook her core. Making her hug her knees. The mother was almost breathless wheezing and coughing out the words "run away!" She still didn't budge.

 

The sound of crumbling came from the roof, they'd been seen. A red head poked through the damaged building, teeth snapping at her mother's leg. Her mother shushed her.

 

The little girl watched in terror as her mother was dragged away. A bloodcurdling scream bubbled from her mother's throat. 

 

Crunch the dragon snapped the body gulping down it's meal whole. It's throat bobbed while swallowing.

 

She watched, saw her mum sliding down it's neck towards its stomach. Blood dribbled down it's jaw. The girl almost fainted as it spat out a bone. 

 

Golden eyes sought her own a mouth full of sharp, pearly whites opened. A pink, wet tongue slid across her skin wetting the area licked. The dragon drooled, a string of saliva dripped onto her cheek.

 

She couldn't help but squeal in fear. The dragon reared up. Cocking it's head a certain way to snatch the girl from in between the walls. She screamed as teeth sunk deep into her leg. Blood squirted out. 

 

Spots covered her vision before blacking out. 

 

Dragons, girls afraid of them made to stay inside while men fight. Such a joke a dragon I know claimed to have save me did he really? Their our enemy meant to bring destruction and pain. For what purpose? Because that's their nature, bitter and cold creatures. Knights must be so brave...go off and fight a slobbering animal. Whose breath can burn men to ashes. 

 

Vicious, evil and heartless is what their character is no other side to them. But I could say differently...maybe. I can't justify others actions especially a huge, hungry fire breather. 

 

Swords won't do a thing but a human...well a child perhaps?

 

What do you think?

 

A cave came into view, a glow of orange lit up small parts of it. Her vision was blurry she couldn't make out anything. Her body was cold her hair sticking to her skin.

 

She felt slight warmth in the corner. With the sound of huffing and a whoosh. Each time that light blared for a second. Her eyes adjusted to the dark cave.

 

Taking her time to think back about what occurred. Slowly sitting up and blinking a few times to clear her vision. All the terrifying events flooded back. Causing her to sob uncontrollably. 

 

"Hey girl " a voice called, looking up to see the mighty dragon. Who killed everyone in the village. Before fully freaking out the dragon lifted up it's heavy body. And stalked lazily towards her. 

 

" Do you have a name?" It's voice was quite deep and mature. She swallowed feeling a lump in her throat. "J-Jade" she said hesitantly "hmmm" was all it answered back.

 

Jade stood up wobbling slightly while she raised herself. The red dragon lied down with a thump onto it's hoard of treasure. Blue, gold crusted gems, crowns with rubies from kings and queens, gold necklaces. Some sliver and copper coins, shiny swords. Who she guessed came from those who had tried to slay him.

 

His eyes slid to hers she noticed they were golden with flecks of green in them. His pupils were beautiful compared to her dull bluey-grey ones. 

 

Jade looked around surprised by her surroundings. Clean. The dragon glared at Jade "what surprised to see no bones, little girl?" Without thinking she nodded he laughed "obviously the stories you heard were wrong" he dashed quickly over to Jade she flinched at the sudden movement. 

 

"Very wrong."

 

Jade asked a question "what is your name?" He growled. Answering with a question of his own "is there a reason for you wanting to know?" "Just curious."

 

The dragon gave his name "Varack" he slithered into the shadows. Jade wanted to know the reasons for him bringing her here.

 

She tried to act brave.

 

"D-dragon come back! What reason do you have for taking me? Why did you not kill me?! What's your thoughts-"

"SHUT UP!" 

 

Jade screamed crawling backwards, "stop asking so many questions! Children are so annoying! I took you on a request of a friend, I did not kill you because your dear to my friend. What I plan to do with you is nothing! What happens with you is up to my friend!" Varack growled clearly angry with the girl.

 

A woman appeared, wearing a white robe reaching her feet. She had a staff at her side it was made of oak, dried up tree branches wrapped around a dim, green orb. 

 

Her features revealed muddy brown hair tied up in a braid, tan skin, brown eyes and soft, plump, pink lips. 

 

Jade was bewildered at this woman's beauty. "Varack she's only 10 give her some space" he slinked back into the shadows. 

 

Her voice gave off a soothing tone, sounding so sweet with a slight accent.

"Your from Smollett" Jade recognised the accent. "And you know how to speak english" the tan woman chuckled "child it doesn't take a master to learn a new language." 

 

Varack listened as the darkness covered his red scales, "Jade it seems you have false thoughts of Varack." The atmosphere suddenly became tense "false?!" The older woman put a hand up "let me finish..." Jade kept shut.

 

"Your village was not burnt by him, knights set it a light. For your people worshipped his kind hoping they were not attacked." 

 

"B-but my mother he-"

 

"An illusion my darling." 

 

Jade went wide eyed "illusion?! How??" She held her hand up once again "mages, while Varack searched for your home. The mages placed a spell upon the smoke, since you breathed it in. The spell has messed with the chemicals in your brain causing you to hallucinate."

 

Jade was almost ready to cry, " anyone who survived the flames experienced the same thing. The knights wanted you to believe Varack was responsible. For it would drive us to hate them more."



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.