The Europa Missions | Teen Ink

The Europa Missions

By BHerbster BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida
BHerbster BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida

The Unknown Mission

We are the third of four missions that were sent. The two missions that went before us were just crews of four and a rover, but we, we are different, we are a colonizing ship, we have women and children and greenhouses and everything else that you need to start a new life. It was going to take us ten months what took the original ships two weeks. We launched just a week after the first two ships and all crew members and passengers on our ship were put under cryogenic so we were not entirely sure how the scout ships would make out on our new home, but we had hope that it would be okay.

It was two days before we were supposed to land on our new home and we had just woken up from our sleep.

“Hey Jim, how do the plants look?”, I ask.

“Well, luckily only a few had malfunctions in the cryo-chambers and died,” states Jim, “we have more than enough to start our new lives George.” As the captain of the ISS Spero it was my duty to make sure that all systems on the the ship where back up and running. I had already checked on all of the systems on the lower levels of the ship and all that was left was making sure that the bridge was in working order.

“Captain on the bridge,” exclaims First Mate Kalb.

“As you were,” I respond, “Communications Officer Ninomiya, how many reports have we received?”

“Three, sir, one from each of the scout ships that they had successfully landed, and…” Ninomiya just trails off into silence.

“Well spit it out officer, who sent the third message from?” I enquire.

“Sir, it’s from Earth, it says that the fourth ship blew up shortly after launch, and that it is impossible to build another ship to send.”

“Very well, put me on the ship’s com.”

“Ladies and gentlemen, this is Captain George Lancaster, I have great news, all systems are up and running and we have more than enough food that survived the trip, we should have no problem starting our new lives; however, I was just informed that the ISS Nova Vita did not make it past its launch, which means that we are the only hope of colonization, there is no longer a backup ship if we mess up farming. While everything seems against us, I believe that we can keep our race alive.”

I go down to the cafeteria to eat my first meal in ten months and to try and comfort anyone who had loved ones on the ISS Nova Vita. The cafeteria is packed when I enter and fills with a mixture of excitement from those who cannot wait for their new lives and those that are realizing that they have loved ones that they will never see again. After an afternoon of comforting some and celebrating with others I am exhausted and decide to go to bed to make sure that I am well rested for arrival the next day.

It is what would have been midnight back on Earth when I am woken up by a panicking officer.

“What is so bloody important that you needed to wake me up at this hour!” I exclaim.

“S...Sir, the ship's course, it's been tampered with and we can’t fix it.” bumbles the officer.

“What do you mean it has been tampered with, we are close enough that it is impossible to go anywhere else.” I explain.

“Sir, it would be easier to show you.” says the officer, who seemed more composed now.

“Very well, let us go to the bridge,” I begrudgingly agree. As we step onto the bridge the few that were stationed on it were in utter panic.

“Silence!” I shout, “someone show me what is wrong.” All at once the officers point at the screen which I realize now showed ice instead of the stars and moons that it had shown when I had last seen it. “So what, the ship is just pointed at Europa instead of the stars above it.” I state.

“Sir, that’s not the problem, look at the distance to the surface.”  explains one of the officers.

“Dear god, it’s...it's getting smaller and quick.” I stammer, “well what can we do to stop this?”

“Sir, there is nothing we can do, this is what was in the programed flight plan that was put in before we even took off from Earth.”

“So you’re telling me that the ship that is the last hope for humanity was programmed to crash into the surface of Europa, what was supposed to be our new home.”

“That’s exactly what I’m telling you sir.” exclaimed the officer, “do you want to wake up the ship to let them know what is going to happen?”

“No, let them have happy dreams of the new lives they are about to start.” , I say, “gentlemen, it has been an honour being your captain and I am deeply sorry that we were betrayed. Now, let us remember that we do not go gently into that good night.”