To A Place Unknown | Teen Ink

To A Place Unknown

By frxdaaa BRONZE, San Pedro, California
frxdaaa BRONZE, San Pedro, California

I wrote this short story in my creatuve writing class as an assignment. I had never written a story like this but had fun with this and got to express my creativity. I liked the challenge I had writing this so I 'm pretty proud of this piece. 

When I was about 10 years old, I did something that I still remember to this day. I knew that I wanted to scare my younger brother to get back at him for getting me in trouble the day before. So, I patiently waited for him to go into the bathroom to take a shower as I planned out what it was that I was going to do. However, I never thought that it would actually work and end the way it did.

Slowly and carefully, I climbed up the ladder that was attached to the top bunk bed which also happened to be my brothers bed, making sure to be as quiet as possible for no one to hear. I looked around to see if my mom was around, but she was not. As I got to the top of the ladder, I climbed onto my brothers bed hoping for my plan to go as I had planned in my head. I knew that my brother had a great fear of ghosts, so I was going to use that to my advantage.

Leaning my head against the wall, I attentively listened to what was on the other side. I heard the sound of water, so I knew that my brother was still taking a shower. I knocked three times making sure to be as loud as possible for him to hear, but there was no response. Three more times. This time there was a response. I heard the sound of the shower head quickly turning off.

“Hello who’s there???” My brother said with the sound of panic in his voice.

Of course there was no response because I had to make it seem like it was a ghost knocking on the wall. I lay down with my face facing the ceiling and put a blanket over me to make sure I wasn’t seen. I knocked one more time and next thing I know I heard the bathroom door slam right open . Out comes my brother running as fast as he could butt naked with soap all over his body. I was surprised, I knew that I would scare my brother but not to the point where he would run out naked.

“Mommmm! I heard a ghost!!!!!” He yelled as he was running towards my mom  in the living room.

I giggled under the blank surprised that my plan had actually worked. But then, I heard a loud thud in the kitchen. I got up to see what had happened. My brother had fallen in the kitchen! He slipped while running because of all of the soap and water. At that point I knew that I had messed up. My mom came running into the kitchen as fast as possible as my brother lay on the kitchen floor crying.

“What happened to you!” She frantically asked.

“I heard knocking in the bathroom. I got scared thinking it was a ghost” My brother said.

My mom walked into my bedroom and saw that I was sitting on my brothers bed. I knew that there was no getting out of this because she had already seen that I was on his bed and there was nobody else in the house but us.

“Did you have anything to do with what your brother heard?” She asked.

For a second I thought about lying but I decided to come clean,”Yes. I didn’t think he would get that scared.”

“Go apologize to him right now and you’re grounded!” My mom yelled.

After that, I was probably grounded for about two weeks, but to be honest I did not regret doing what I did and to this day I still don’t. Each time I think of this story it makes me laugh. My mom still brings it up sometimes and now laughs instead of getting mad. Of course it’s not amusing to my brother but that’s understanding. This is one of my favorite memories from when I was younger and I would not change it for anything. I learned that I shouldn’t be scaring people like that. Especially when they have a great fear of ghosts.