Subject 77 | Teen Ink

Subject 77

May 21, 2019
By Daisy_Waters, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
More by this author
Daisy_Waters, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The author's comments:

Part of a longer work on my Wattpad page WinningStream/Daisy Waters.

Marlee


"Meeting is in session, you may all sit," the director spoke with a blank expression.  She stood at the forefront of the table with windows to her back while the rest of us sat on pristine, white chairs.  Her lightly coated makeup face didn't divulge any emotions with her lips set in a perfect line and her hair curled to almost perfection.  


I crossed my legs, my spine straight, with my hands poised over my writing pad ready to write anything important that were to stream from her mouth.  She gazed at all of us, but she made it feel like she was staring at just you.


"Today, I've called a meeting with the best of the best of the Investigation and Research Department, submitted by the heads."  The lights became dim and the board on wheels lit up with pictures. "As of a month ago, we discovered Sengarth, also known as Subject 77, a new planet within our solar system."  A picture of the planet lit up on the board.

I gasped, along with many others, at the bursting colors of this beautiful planet.  It was so...precious. It looked magnificent and magical.


"We have yet to land on Subject 77 nor do we have the authority to claim Subject 77 as a true planet until we have an authorized group of researchers tame the environment and bring back their findings as a safe and suitable planet.  Subject 77 cannot and will not be allowed for space exploration or pioneered on until further information is gathered." The lights turned back on and the board was taken away on its own. She stared us all down one by one. "We have chosen you select few to pioneer to this planet, take samples, map out the terrain, and to take a huge leap within our revolution."


All of us looked at each other with professional glances before we all nodded as one.  "What's the importance of this planet, madam?" One of the older men asked.


"It has been detected to have anomalies, anomalies that could possibly help us with our most pressing issue."  She paused then continued. "If there are no more questions, go back to your rooms and collect your things. Your departure is scheduled for 09:00 sharp.  More information will be provided in the portfolio already delivered at your rooms. You may leave now," she disappeared from the room leaving us all to ponder the new information coursing through our veins.


A new plane—Subject 77!  I'm so excited! My first true Subject!


We all stood up and exited through our appropriate doors, none of us uttering a word to one another.  We only talked when we needed to and more pressing issues were at hand.


I walked back to my dorm and on the floor in my room was a bright red portfolio marked 'Important' in large, bold, white letters along with my name centered beneath it.  I traced my fingers across the font at a slow pace before picking it up and sitting down at my couch.


Dear Marlee Serene Dever,


You have been selected from the mass of researchers within the Investigation and Research Department, as per told in the formal meeting with our one and only Madam President.  You and five others are to travel to Subject 77 (Sengarth) on March 25, 2349 at approximately 09:00 hours.


Basics will be provided as well as the instruments needed to gather your findings.  Protective gear will be a must to wear at all times while on Sengarth.


Lieutenant Weston will be joining you to keep you six safe and to offer his expertise in safety.  Follow his orders to the letter.


Everything that is to be gathered is within these papers.


Be careful of any life forms and under NO CIRCUMSTANCES make contact with these beings.


Collect the specimens and return safely.


Head of Investigation and Research Department,

Kent Nevins


I set down the papers and rubbed my forehead with a sigh.  This was to be a lot of work, definitely above my usual day on the job.  The closest I got to researching a subject was Subject 45, which was nowhere near as big as Subject 77.  It was a mere two-headed dog!


Subject 77 is a whole planet—or soon to be planet that we can roam on freely if it checks out!  This is a whole lot of responsibility on just six people plus a shield.


I hope everything goes well.


I set the folder down onto the glass table and walked into my bedroom.  I pulled out the suitcase from underneath my bed, for purposes such as this trip, and set it on my bed.  I pressed the button on the wall and my clothes slid out on a rack. I feathered my fingers over the different pieces before placing multiple pairs of outfits into the suitcase.  This would be a long trip.


I put other necessary provisions into my bag before zipping it up and setting it into the living room.  I got ready then laid for bed and pulled out my night reader. I pressed the record button and stared up at the stars on my ceiling.


"To whoever may be listening," I whispered, "today I got assigned Subject 77, a whole damn planet...if I'm going to be honest, I'm kind of scared."  I rolled onto my side, looking directly at the recorder. "I've never done anything like this, I've never been in space before. I'm terrified, but I know I have to go.  People are depending on me. I just really hope everything goes alright and we come back alive." I sighed and reached my hand toward the recorder before retracting a bit.  "Wish me luck."


I shut it off.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.