Escapades of Elegire | Teen Ink

Escapades of Elegire

By mariad20, Ringoes, New Jersey
mariad20, Ringoes, New Jersey

Everyone knows that 16 is the age that childhood ends, and real life begins. I’ve spent everyday for the past 10 years preparing for this day. Relentlessly studying, training, and putting all of my energy into trying to figure out which power I would receive. My mom is an Earth, as well as the queen, which makes her more fit for the job than most. She keeps cool under pressure, leading her followers with a strict guiding hand, something I don’t know if I’m quite capable of. Although I find my peace at nature like her, I think I’m more drawn to the animals than Elegire itself. Then I think that maybe because of that I’m a Water, like my father, who somehow manages to stay more calm than my mom and communicates freely with all living creatures. But their powers are more aspirations than any real potential, since I’ve been known to have moments where the phrase “cool-headed” would be the opposite of what describes me. So what am I then? Fire? I’m not aggressive by any means but I find myself relating to them at times. Or air? No, definitely not them. Regardless, I will know the answer to this life altering decision by 2 pm today, and I still don’t think I’m ready for it. I sit now facing my little brother play with his blocks, while my older sister straightens my hair.

“Can you please try not to burn me with that thing!?” I yell back at Mae as she gets closer to the hairs by my ear.

“Sorry I’m not trying to, just try to hold still a little longer, okay? She replies.

“I don’t know if I can. Mae, I’m so stressed out, I’ve never felt like this anxious in my entire life, and the worst part is I don’t even have a say in what happens!” My hands start to shake and my leg won’t stop twitching and it feels like my stomach is simultaneously empty and full. My heart aches and my breathing gets heavy until I’m completely hyperventilating.

Mae puts the flat iron down and gets up from the couch. She kneels down to the ground next to me and grabs my hands. “Ebba, it’s going to be okay. Everyone has to go through this and nobody gets placed with a power that they aren’t meant for. Trust me, on my 16th I felt the same way as you, my path was confusing and I had no idea which power I would receive. But everyone prepares for all of them, and no matter you’ll be able to handle it.”

Mae wraps her arms around my neck and I embrace her back. The smell of lilacs and the faded ocean spray of her perfume fill my senses. That combined with the warmth that radiates off of her immediately makes me feel better. I feel my body calming and settling and my breathing slows to normal. I give her one final, tighter squeeze, and we glide our hands back to each other. When she looks at me her eyes glow and her smile is soft and forgiving. The love that constantly pours off of her is why I envy her so much. I wish I could be so positive and cheerful all the time like her, she’s so lucky that she gets to be an Air.

“Group hug!!!” yells Zade as he piles on top of Mae and I.

“Zade! No, get off! You’ll wrinkle our dresses before the ceremony!” Mae yells back at him. I love my little brother, but sometimes he gets a little too much for me to handle, even with Mae here to help.

“Oops, sorry guys. Just felt like the right time to join in,” Zade replies as he slinks back to the ground.

Zade sits on the ground pouting to himself, hugging his knees to his chest and resting his head on top of them. Mae bends down next to him and places her left hand gently on the right side of his face, “Sorry, bud, didn’t mean to upset you. Come here, give me a hug.” They embrace, Mae still kneeling on the ground, and Zade now standing. “Now, we need to finish getting ready so why don’t you go put on your suit.”

“Okay, Mae. Time me!” Zade shouts as he starts to run out the door. As he disappears down the long hall, and the pitter-patter thud of his footsteps becomes too soft to hear, Mae sits back down on the couch and finishes trying not to burn me.

……  

“Ebba! Let’s go we’re going to be late!!

“I’m coming Mae, I’m coming, I just need to find my object,” I yell back to her through the holograph on the inside of my wrist. Towards my forearm on the same side, I swipe up to unlock it and press the section labeled ‘connect’ so that Mae can look through my eyes.

“Okay, ummm, oh keep going to your right,” I turn slowly and look around the room so she can see everything, “Oh yes! Okay walk into your closet and make a sharp left. On the ground right there, yup.”

“Perfect, thanks Mae, okay I’m coming down now,” I say as I unlock my despa again to disconnect and then hangup. Walking out of my room I turn to the right first and look into the wall right outside my room. A scanner the size of my head appears at my height, and a blue LED grid glides up and down over my face. It chimes and my metal sliding door slides out from the wall and into the one adjacent to it until it clicks and locks. Across the hall I can see that Zade’s door is already shut, meaning both of my siblings are already waiting for me by the main gate. I race down the corridor and down the spiral staircase onto the main floor.

As I run by I notice the marble on the floor and the pillars have recently been cleaned, as they shine exceptionally brighter today than usual. I completely forgot about the after ceremony celebration that my parents are forcing upon me. To my left through the glass wall I can see Mae and Zade waiting for me in the middle of our large circle driveway. To my right I pass the dining hall where our chefs and staff are already preparing the food and the tables for this evening. I can’t see the food but the aroma of tender chicken with a spike of bitter lemon is already filling the room. I jolt through the foyer door and lock it on the side before finally joining my siblings.

“Well took you long enough,” Mae says jokingly as they start to go up on their hoverboards.  I use my despa to unlock my own hoverboard and a circle with clear and purple rings appears at my feet. I hop on using my hand as the controls and try my best to catch up with Mae and Zade who have already past the front gates that lie 200 yards in front of our house.

My grandparents made sure our land was tucked away from the rest of the community after they were attacked shortly after my grandfather’s coronation. People used to come over freely and city meetings could be held here without worry. But I’ve only grown up with this seclusion, hidden far away from the eyes of civilization. People can only reach us now by flying, there are no roads that lead to our driveway, and after our 30 feet high fence lies nothing but wilderness until we reach the mainland. From here it’s only a short trip to the city hall amphitheater, where my ceremony will take place. When my sister had her ceremony we made this same trip together, except my brother was too little to fly alone so I had to carry him the whole way. Plus, I was still getting the hang of flying so Mae held my hand the whole way, focusing her nerves on taking care of us instead of the ceremony. Unfortunately for me, all I have to focus on right now is getting through this ceremony.

……

“Well here we go kid, time to find out your fate,” Mae says cheerfully as we land in front of the amphitheater. We face the open rows of cement seats, all filled with spectators, family members, and in the first three rows, jittery teens like me here to take part in the ceremony. The stage is lit with a podium off to the right side, and to the left plastic chairs arranged in three rows for after we receive our power. The center is still bare, but eventually a cauldron will rise and fill with the solution that answers many questions for our region.

I take a deep breath. Silently, I hug my sister and brother, and head down the first walkway towards the front rows. The seats are arranged alphabetically so I find the name tag that says “Katts” in the middle of the second row. I sit in between two of my closest friends, Julius and Zay, who I’ve studied with for years now. When we were younger we were matched up alphabetically, so I was always partnered with one of them for everything. We talk for awhile about expectations and fears, and then the lights from the floating spheres above the stage flicker off and on, signaling the start of the ceremony. Silence washes over the crowd, save for the clicking of heels coming up the steps of the stage, as my parents and the other board members find their way to the seats by the podium and my mom grabs the mic.

“Welcome everyone, to our 91st annual ceremony of the gifted arts. We are here to celebrate the journey and new beginnings that our next generation will soon take. These leaders of tomorrow are finally ready to take on the challenges and responsibilities that come with gaining powers such as these. Today our inductees will join me at the stage to dip their hands in the sea of knowledge and their true gifts will be revealed,” as my mom says this the cauldron rises in a cylindrical vase that stops at her waist. The black border matches the color of the tiled flooring, but I can faintly make out gold specks shimmering on the inside.

She continues, “We welcome these newcomers with open arms, and rejoice at the spread of our nation’s power. To our inductees, you may have trained your whole lives to prepare for this moment, but soon your real work will begin. With the powers that you acquire today you will work towards a goal in your field that is deemed most fit, to continue to improve and prepare for years to come. With that said, best of luck to all, and let’s begin.”

Delilah Abe is the first person to go up. She treads the path cautiously, with her hands folded in front of her as she walks. We’re all required to wear the same thing for the ceremony, girls in a white cotton skater dress, and boys in a  white suit. She paired the dress with brown strappy sandals, and all I can hear is the smack the floor as she heads to the center of the stage. It’s the only noise being made in the room, everyone else is eagerly staring to know what her fortune will be. When Delilah gets to the cauldron, she places her hands to the sides and tenses for a moment as she takes a deep breath in and out. Once she relaxes, she reaches out and then down into the gold depths. She begins to smile as she does this and when she pulls her hands back out everyone can see the deep green color that now coats them. The lights above the stage turn an emerald glow and my father, now at the podium, announces, “Miss Delilah Abe, Earth.” My mom hands her a towel and she makes her way to the first chair, still joyfully gleaming from her result.

One by one, the rest of the first row goes through and has a seat next to the other on stage. Within the blink of an eye Zay is gone and at the stage. She dips her hands in, and when she takes them out again the liquid running off of her is a vibrant blue.

“And Miss Zay Gryfe is a Water, welcome to the family,” my dad smiles earnestly back at Zay. My parents love Zay like a daughter, so I she’ll have so many doors open for her with my dad guiding over her.

Now that my turn is finally here, and I’ve watched half of the group go already, my emotions have shifted to focus on the excitement. I suddenly have an undeniable urge to learn the truth, and I won’t waste another second. As soon as Zay takes her seat on the stage I bound to the end of my row and lunge up the stairs. Stopping briefly at the top, I stare down the black collinder before me, and make my way over to it. I don’t know how it was discovered or how it knows where we truly belong, alls I know is that I can’t wait any longer to find out where it tells me to go.

The tan, beige skin on my hands tremble as I hold them out in front of me. Palms up, I gracefully submerge them into the glowing golden liquid. The moment my whole hands are completely covered I jump back, confused, scared, and a feeling of utter shock. I stumble back from the cauldron and sit on the ground staring at the dark black liquid that is now falling to the floor.

“Wha… what does this mean?” My voice quivers as I speak and I look over to look at the counsel whose faces are similar to mine for some reason seem happier. But their joyful shock only confuses me even more.

My mother bends down next to me and grabs hold of my right hand, tracing my palm where some of the liquid still remains. She gasps and covers her mouth with her hand, tears forming in the corners of her eyes. My father grabs the microphone from the podium and with glee in his eyes says, “Ladies and gentlemen, for the first time in over 100 years, Ebba Katts, controller of all four elements.” As he says this my head begins to spin and suddenly the room grows dark as I peer above me at the now black floating lights.

……

When I awaken I’m staring up at the white and blue dreamcatcher I got when I was five years old. I bend my chin towards my chest to look around the room and see that it’s just as I had left it before the ceremony. To my left sits all of my miscellaneous stuff within the window bench. To the right of the window my vanity rests a mess from the abuse it endured before the ceremony. By the wall in front of me I see my desk that’s still scattered with books and loose papers from my last exam. Closest to my desk on the right wall I notice someone turned the light off for me in my walk in closet, and closer to me on the same wall I see that someone has also left the door to my room wide open.

Easing up, I feel well enough to walk down the hall and knock on the door to the master suite. Nobody answers. I scan myself in on the lock pad by their door and as the door slides open I see my parents conferencing by their bed.

“Oh hi sweetie, I didn’t think you’d be up yet,” my mom says as she sees me waiting by the door. They abruptly stop their conversation and walk over to me.

“I, I can’t tell whether this was a dream or not, but was my color black at the ceremony?” I scratch my head as I try to remember what really happened, but I’m unable to process anything.

“Yes, honey it was. That’s when you passed out so I’m not surprised you don’t remember much,” my father replies with a very serious, concerned look on his face. He walks me over to the bed, probably in case I pass out on him again. “I know this is probably a lot for you to handle right now, but do you remember what this means?”

Gently tapping the bottom of the bed, it rises from the floor to seat height. I sit down and stare at the floor for a couple of seconds before looking up at them and saying, “I really have no idea.”

My mom sits down next to me and wraps one arm around my shoulder and uses the other to steady my hands that have been jittering in my lap. “Well, the bad news is you’re gonna have to go to a lot more training than everyone else, but the good news is that this means you have the ability to master all four elements.”

I look over at her and see her smiling back at me, a look of pride in her eyes. My father has his hand on my shoulder now, and looking at him I see he wears the same genuine smile as my mother. I look down again biting my lip, thinking hard about what this really means. After a few moments of confusion the excitement finally sets in, “So I guess we’re gonna need a bigger celebration tonight then, huh?”

I get out of my plain white dress and into something a little fancier for the evening. I had something picked out for every possible ending I could think of for the ceremony, but I hadn’t thought of this one. At the end of my walk in closet my six foot mirror sits facing my. I tap once on the glass and some options come up for what I want to wear. I select the last option ‘dresses’ and swipe through until I find a couple that might work. I select one to try on and it appears on me through the mirror. Since it’s not really on me I look at the description and see that it’s felt, which will be way too hot for a day like today. On planet Tetramida we have four suns and two moons, and in the summer, like today, three suns and a moon can be seen at once. I’ve never seen all fours suns at once, or both moons at once for that matter, but I’ve heard that if either were to happen something terrible would have had to occured. I tap on another, a black silk gown with straps that flow over the shoulders and silver beading across the sweetheart neckline, which perfectly suits the evening. As I leave the room I turn the lights off with a twirl of my finger and go finish curling my hair and doing my makeup.

By the time I’m done getting ready some of our guests have already started arriving. Most of them are just extended family members who have come to help finish setting up. The rest of the guests will start arriving in about an hour from now, so closer to 7 pm, all from our region, Elegire. I’m on my way out to go greet my family when I see Zade running up the steps and towards his room. I grab his arm to stop him before he can go in, “Woah, are you over the party already? Why aren’t you downstairs with everyone else?”

“Ebba, something’s wrong, they won’t tell me what but something’s wrong,” he pulls away from me and locks his door as he goes in his room.

Considering how many things my family already has to hide from Zade because of his age, I’m not really worried about what he just said. If something was really wrong we’d be on lockdown right now anyway. So I continue to leisurely trek down the stairs and when I get to the foyer I see everyone huddled together and talking in hushed voices. “Guys? What’s going on?” I ask as I walk over towards them.

“Ebba, you know the planet Masonite right?” asks my dad.

I nod in response and my Aunt Pina chimes in fanatically, “They’re destroying everything! They’ve already taken over Ginope, Theon, Zidrilia, and Vogarvis and are probably headed here next!”

I take a step back and look around at the rest of my family whose faces all carry grave expressions. “You mean they’re taking over whole planets? Why would they do that?” I countered.

“We don’t know, and we don’t know what their plan is either. Alls we know is we have to be prepared for the worst. If your Aunt is right and they do come here next, we need to be ready. We’ll only have about two days, since we got the alert from Bruna just now saying that they were invaded. We’ve already alerted the other regions of Tetramida but none of them have responded to us,” my mom informs me.

“Your moms right, we need to get our affairs in order before even the earliest chance that they’ll get here. Once the other regions respond we can start getting troops out, for the meantime we need to get you and your siblings safe away from the danger zones and send the rest of Elegire into lockdown,” my dad chimes in.

“Why can’t I fight? I’ve done my training and now that I have more than one power I can definitely help,” I respond bitterly.

“No, no you haven’t done your training. Yes you know how to fight, but you haven’t even started using your powers yet and nobody, not even you, knows what you’ll be able to do. A war is not how you’re going to start training with your powers,” my father retaliates.

“No I can handle this and I want to help,” I snap back. “At least let me get ready for it and if you still think this way by the time they get here then I’ll go into hiding like everyone else.”

“Fine, in that case we need to get you down to training right now, we don’t have any time to waste,” my dad says to me before turning to my mom. “It’s probably best that everybody who was coming for the party stay here anyway, they’ll be best protected here and this will raise less alarm.”

“Agreed, I’ll inform everyone on the list to prepare a bag to stay overnight,” my mom replies.

…...

My mom and the rest of my family start messaging everyone they know to inform them of the news, while my dad takes me down to the training room. We head back out of the foyer, through the dining room, past the spiral staircase and into the library. The library is probably one of our largest rooms, with three center isles filled with books to the left. And to the right is my dads office, his desk seemingly empty, scattered with electronic documents that only appear when one of my parents faces are scanned in. The ceilings go up twice as high as our other rooms, the glass windows of the roof convexing outwards, letting the purple light of our suns shine through. The brilliant glow of the purple streaks light the way to the back corner behind the last bookcase. Books line every wall in the room, going all the way up to the ceiling. The book we’re looking for is about halfway to the top and can only be reached using our hoverboards.

As we walk past the first row I can see my dad already fidgeting with his despa and I wonder whether the other tribes have gotten back to him yet, or if the community is freaking out over the lockdown. As we pass the second row I hear the sound of a murmured alarm roaring past our gated lot and into the city beyond. In an instant the purple sparkles of the skylight have vanished and a deep red glow flutters on and off. I look up to see the black metal barriers covering the top of the glass windows, and as I look around I see the four hazard lights, one on each wall, blinking simultaneously to relieve the darkened room of its gloomy state.

Passing the third row of books, we follow the curve into the far left corner of the room. I swipe up on my despa and release my hoverboard, as my father does the same. Holding onto one of the supporting pillars that jut out about an inch from the wall, we float upwards until we get to the “M” section. We scan the books in front of us, using the flashlight on our despas to read the titles. My dad finds the book “Mastering mechanics” and pulls it off the shelf. Behind it a large red circular button glows vibrantly as to make its presence known.

“Will you do the honors?” my dad says in his best Lopis accent. The Lopis are our closest allies on this planet and all have this distinct animalistic voice, as they are the shape shifting tribe.

“Why of course,” I reply in the same tone. I shove the button hard with my left hand, still holding onto the pillar with my right. As I do this the wall itself begins to swing outward, the books now locked in place so they all don’t fall down as the wall moves. Letting go of the other wall, we fly towards the new opening and into the bright blinding light behind it. As we get farther into the room our eyes adjust to the light and the rest of the shapes start taking form. Thick black mats cover the floor as far as I can see, some spots shinier than others, those coated in a thin layer of sweat. We slow on our hoverboards and lower to the ground and right as our feet land we hear a hollow boom behind us as the wall slams shut again. From here I can see the second floor gym, the balcony leading up from the north wall mirror that spans the whole view in front of me. My dad and I turn to the right and head towards the training rooms.

The first room we reach out of the first hall is empty. I’ve only been out of this open room for about a week, but it still feels like the first time. The mats in this room are replaced by concrete, in fact every wall in this room is concrete which will soon be covered in a metal sheet. My dad starts getting the room set up while I continue onto the next room where we keep our armour and weapons. The only armour we really need is a slim skin tight suit that covers the body from our ankles to our necks. I slip on the suit, grab a pair of sneakers, and tie my hair back in a braid. When I get back out to the training room metal covers every wall except the floor, and halographs of people and targets cover the sides.

“Alright, lets see what you got,” says my dad as he steps back and swirls his finger to reveal a sheet of shatter proof glass.

We start off simple, an object drops from the sky covered in flames of orange embers. My body takes over for my brain and while my first reaction would have normally been to run, a steady stream of water shoots out from the palms of my hands and sizzles as the flames are put out. The rest of my powers seem to work the same way. Fire shoots out the same way as water, I can control the air so that something else or I can fly, and manipulating Earth powers I can shift the ground and even speak to animals. I barely got a hold of these basic powers when the holograms start to fade out.

“Okay, this is going to have to be good enough for now, the other tribes just got back to us and they’re here,” yells my dad as he steps out from behind the glass, “Apparently Masonite is already on their way to us, we need to get everyone ready right now.”

He flips a switch on the wall as we leave and the room suddenly becomes bare again. The floor is clean, the walls are plain and concrete, and everything else is tucked back away in the ceiling.

…...

Going back into what I thought would be the empty gym, I see hundreds of creatures filling the vast space in front of me. With four more layers below the ground, we have enough room in here to fit an entire army, which is what we plan to do. The Lopis are the first to arrive, some look like us, while others have shapeshifted into other animals. The Madry tribe shows up next, clearing the room with their growls as they enter. We aren’t as close with them as we are with Lopis but have still have never fought with them. They’re twice the size of us physically, but their only power is strength. The farthest region is Turent so accordingly they are the last to get here. The Turent people are the strangest to me, with boths wings and gills to travel by land, in the air, or through the sea. They’ll need the most armour in battle to keep their physical bodies safe, but they have powers like mind control and time manipulation which give them a bit of an edge.

Not a second after I hear the heavy door slam shut again, the leader of the Turents, Sasha Mulof, runs up to my father and I, panting heavily with a strong gaze in his eyes. He gasps as he says, “Masonite... they’re here!”

Mae shimmies past my parents and I in the middle of the gym, dragging Zade’s limp body behind her. “No! No, I don’t want to leave you!” Yells Zade as he gets scuffed along the floor.

“Well I have to help fight and you aren’t old enough yet so you know the drill,” replies Mae through gritted teeth. “Come on! Just walk, we need to get you down there now!”

As they pass my parents Zade finally gets up, but instead of walking with Mae he runs to my parents and grabs their legs. He hugs them, hugs me, and finally is forced into the shelters in the basement by Mae. As this happens the leaders of the regions make their way over to my parents and they continue to discuss potential plans to combat this attack. We are finishing up our plans when -BOOM- the ground shakes and the walls rumble so much I think they might fall.

“Everyone remain calm,” my dad yells and everyone turns their attention towards him, “trust me this building will not fall, but now that they’re here we no longer have time for an attack plan. We are now all defenders of Tetramida, and we all need to work together if we plan on being able to stay that way. We should diverse regions so that every line of attack has a good mix of powers within it. We’ll follow the tunnels below the city lines to try and catch them where they least expect us. I hope to see you all back here by the end of this, we are all family today.”

The mood in the room shifted from being terrified to being proud and strong. We all bustled down to the tunnels as the rumbles continued from the attacks above. We spread out to the four regions of the planet, but now with a good mix of people in each. My family decided it would be best if we went to different regions so that if there was a large attack in one region not all of us would be killed. My mom insisted that I stay with her since I was so inexperienced and I agreed considering she almost didn’t even let me fight. We all huddled tightly in a group hug before saying goodbye and heading our separate ways. That was and probably will be one of the most terrifying moments of my life, not knowing whether I would see my dad, or Mae, or even Zade again. But I had to quickly get rid of that fear or else it would take over my mind and I wouldn’t be able to focus on the fight.

As we continue on our separate ways the seemingly endless tunnels appear to only get darker and narrower. I can’t tell whether that’s really happening or if it’s just my anxiety playing tricks on my mind.

“Hey you’re breathing a little heavy there, are you alright?” my mom leans over to me and pats my back gently.

“Oh, yeah I think I’m just getting a little claustrophobic is all,” I respond, although I hadn’t even noticed that I had been breathing heavy. Close ahead I see a red “X” and above it I know is the entrance to Lopis even though it doesn't look like it. The tunnel appears continuous but as we approach my mom waves her finger at the ceiling and a square hole appears only visible from below it. From here it appears that they haven’t got to this region yet but if they were just in Elegire we know they’ll be here any minute. We use our hoverboards to cross over to the ground surface and the Lopis people use their powers to create a invisibility shield around a group of us each. The Lopis shielding my mom and I is now a deep purple color, with scales visible on her neck, and hair that reminds me of seaweed. I should be used to seeing things like this, but in Elegire everyone looks pretty much the same, so this is somewhat new to me.

“Hey! Snap out of it we need help over here!” yells a Madry who is now holding off a pack of what looks like the familiars of the Masonite people. They are black shadowy creatures that flow like spirits but can be stopped with physical force. Their long white tongues hiss at the Madry while a Turent sneaks in from the other side and stabs them with a shining silver dagger.

…...

Without realizing it, my group had now moved decently far from the tunnel, and now lie in the middle of Lopis’s main city. Looking through the now shriveling familiars body, I see swarms of Masonite troops headed our way, with narrow, black train looking ships flying above, and hovercrafts on land. They run over farms, drop bombs into houses, and in the distance I see more artillery emerging from our bright orange ocean. Our troops attack but one by one are getting destroyed by the Masonite army. The Masonites are bigger, stronger, and have more powers than I’ve ever seen, and I start to think about what’s going to happen if we lose this war. But I can’t let this beautiful place be destroyed by these disgusting horrible people. This is my home. This is my family. I only got my powers less than 24 hours ago but if anyone is going to save us from ultimate doom it has to be me. My mom and I are weaving out of grenades and arrows, and are fighting our way together towards the main point of conflict.

“To your left!” I yell as I flick my wrist upwards to hold an incoming Masonite in the air. I shoot him with a burst of flames and he immediately disintegrates to the ground. We make a sharp turn and spin to avoid a familiar sprinting in our direction and as we pass I lift my hand in the air to bring up the ground from under him and launch him 50 yards in the other direction.

“Duck!” my mom screams as she pushes me down towards the ground and a glowing green arrow flies over my head. We’re approaching a denser point and weapons and bodies are zooming by in every which direction. We’re fighting two and three masonites at a time now when suddenly I’m thrown up and back down onto the ground behind me. My ears ring and my vision gets blurry and in front of me I see a crater sized hole in the ground and blurs of bodies strewn to my left and right.

“Mom?” my voice echoes in my head as I try to stand up and nearly fall back down. The world is spinning, hopefully just in my head, when the ground starts to shake again and I barely manage to stay on my feet. “Mom? Mom where are you?” I ask again, but alls I can hear is the clash of metal and fists, and static booms off in the distance.

I stumble back towards my left where I find a tree to lean against to gather myself. As my vision finally starts coming back into focus and the sounds around me get louder and louder, I see the entire Masonite army practically covering this area now. Line by line they move forward, shooting out of oversized laser guns as they walk by. I look up just in time to see a shot coming right at me but fly up at the last second to avoid it. From here I can see my mom, lying on the ground in the opposite direction in which I was thrown. I fly down to her and kneel by her side.

“Mom, are you okay?” I ask grabbing her hands in mine.

She coughs and opens her eyes, “Don’t worry about me you need to go fight,” she says and her breathing gets shallower and louder.

“No, mom we need to get you help first, you need to see a doctor,” I reply firmly.

“Ebba, I… I love you so much,” her voice starts to drift and flutters, “Your father, you kids, it’s all I ever wanted. I’m so proud of you sweetie.” She smiles as she says this and with one swish of her hand shoots me back up into the air again. I don’t want to leave her, but I know what has to be done.

First, I call dad on my despa and tell him to send more troops over and to find mom and get her help. Then, I fly towards Elegire, where the Masonites are coming from, until there are no more Tetramida people that I can see. At this point I take a deep breath, and feel power rush through me like I’ve never felt before. Electricity flows through my veins and out my palms and I burn all that stands before me.

The Masonite ships and people turn to dust and fall like rain to the burnt ground. The rest of the Masonite are now easily destroyed by our growing army of Tetramida soldiers and once again our land is free of invaders. I make my way to the ground and run towards my dad. I jump into his arms and he holds onto me so tight I didn’t think he would let go. Mae grabs on over us and I can feel wet streaks starting to fall down the back of my shirt. In that moment I realize why they’re holding on so tight, and I squeeze onto them tighter as my mouth begins to quiver and tears stream down my face. The only thing I can think about is that my mom is gone, and I couldn’t save her.