Hidden | Teen Ink

Hidden

January 14, 2020
By Anonymous

Author's note:

Introduction to the book!

Gazing at the tall ancient clock hanging against the shaggy dark-green wall, I decided that it was best for me to take a nap. My eyes were heavy and my head was hurting. There are only so many hours of sleep one can get during a school day. School’s always be messing with me. The system can’t seem to find capable teachers nor can they serve decent food. Everyone around me seems so happy, and there I was, trying to stay awake during a dull lesson. Mind you, I believe education is a necessity as I am sure my generation is so screwed if we don’t learn, but being stuck with an eighty year old man who still thinks he is the shit teaching English to 11th graders just isn’t my cup of tea. I’m sure everyone else in the class is just trying to get on Mr. Komer’s good side, but at this point, I am just trying to find the best side of my arm to sleep on. Standing in the far right corner was the pudgy, short Mr. Komer, who should be on this deathbed. Mr. Komer has been teaching English since Apollo 11 landed on the moon. Yes, it did land. I’ve been on the moon myself but more on that later. Anyway, the man can barely stand without holding on that rusty bookshelf that has to be at least twice his age. He should not be teaching. He should be taught how to stand. I swear if I sneezed, he would’ve been blown to the ground.

“JACK! Stop nodding off.” hollered Mr. Komer. “You will pick up on the next page where your classmate left off or you will pick up your things and head to the principal’s office.”.

“Say no more.” I tiredly said as I let out a sizeable yawn.

Without any hesitation, I scooped up my bag, put on my pink beanie, and headed for the door. What was the worst thing he can do to me? Sit on me? I wasn’t scared at all. This man could not even swat a fly if it landed on his arm. As soon as my hand touched the doorknob, I felt a small hand grab my shoulder. I abruptly turned and, without any hesitation, pushed that hand away from me. Turning my head, I saw Mr. Komer’s punchable face stumbling as he tried to regain his balance. I squinted, curled my finger, and caused him to fall toward that shelf that he relied so much. He clutched it like a child holding onto their favorite stuffed animal. All my classmates looked at each other, not daring to utter a word as Mr. Komer firmly clasped the shelf and stood up. He uttered some words but I was out the door by then. 

You might be wondering why I curled my finger. Let’s just say that I have powers. Yeah, powers as in more than one. Crazy right? Well, sure, I thought it was crazy for a bit, but I ain’t trying to expose myself. In this age of technology, you never know who’s looking or recording. 

To keep it concise, I can teleport, move things with my mind, and create anything out of something. How did I find out, you may ask? Well, I think my deceased parents did this to me. They were some of those crazy people who wanted the world for their child, but ended up giving their child powers. This sounds like I am complaining, but I am pretty sure whatever they did to me, killed them. With my powers, I can manifest them, but in the end, they are just spirits of air that my mind creates that talk back to me. I miss them. I really do. Enough of this sadness and let’s move on to the fact that I was not going to let Mr.Komer bust his ass, even though that would have been funny. And no, I didn’t go to the principal’s office.

February 12. Been exactly 39 days since that incident. All of that is in the past, as a new term starts today. Aftering being handed my scuffed schedule by that teacher you don’t even know of, I sat down to see my classes. The first line read AP Calculus with Ms. Carter Room 1107. Good grief, 11 flights of stairs. “oH My GoD! wHy dOn’T yOu jUsT TelEpoRt tO tHe ClasSrOoM?” You see the pain I have to endure? I know that I can just get there in an instant, but I don’t want to spook people. I began to trudge my way up the awkwardly narrow stairs, where I swear only is for 1 person. How does this school expect to fit 2 people on such a cramped staircase? I hate this school.
Peering into the classroom, I saw a hulking wooden desk in the far corner of the room. Anxious to pick the worst table in the room, I strolled over to secure my seat. If I have the shittiest seat in the room, I always get a pass on being called on. Why would the teacher choose on a student with a bad seat? Just think about it.
Looking at the board, I saw Ms. Carter, with a purple piece of chalk, slowly scratch her name on the board. After underlining her name, she began to write the current time. She grabbed a stack of papers off her desks, slowly walking and passing a paper on each desk. Don’t you love teachers who give a test on the first day you have them?
Tests aren’t bad per say, but teacher stress on them a little too much. I purposely do average on them so I don’t seem to stand out in the crowd. Studying for me is just making multiple versions of myself and reading the textbook spontaneously. It is definitely a weird sight to see. 

After being handed my test, I began to scribble.  I circle answers as I go. I give these questions no thought, as I bubble in my answers while thinking about my next period. Math is just boring. Sorry if I offended anyone. My eyes are wandering aimlessly, as I finally finish with more than half the period left. My eyes are met with hers, as Ms. Carter glares at me. In return, I glare back. She blinked. I won. 

She got up from that sparkling white desk and started to patrol around the aisle. As I turned my head around,  I saw a girl get up. This girl was by far the most beautiful girl I have ever seen in my life. Black sleek hair with a hint of lavender, she made my heart waltz. We made eye contact when she winked at me.
All of sudden, everything stopped. Ms. Carter stopped walking. The girl walked up to the desk, snatching some small paper which seemed to be heavily bubbled.
My mind was racing with so many questions. First of all, how did she stop time? I could only assume that was a power? But I thought I was the only one. Well, looks like I am not special. Secondly, really? Using that to go up and steal a test? How desperate are you? Of course, I wouldn’t say that to her. That would totally mess up my chances with her. Surprisingly, I could move freely so I walked up to her, smiling. She looked startled, but she returned the smile. 

“How desperate are you? To steal a test on the first day?” I asked.

“Hold up, how can you move? Yeah, no one is supposed to be moving, except me...” she uttered.

“Maybe you aren’t the only one with powers.”

You know those times when you try not to expose yourself? Well, I can’t relate. 

“Meet me by the train station after school.”

Wow! I just scored a date by moving. Well, now someone knows my secret that I have kept hidden all my life. Some people just make you say the worst things at the worst times. Dammit



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.