The Nallero Spirits:Falling Through | Teen Ink

The Nallero Spirits:Falling Through

March 3, 2020
By fantasymeg, Ogden, Utah
More by this author
fantasymeg, Ogden, Utah
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you can't fly, run. If you can't run, walk. If you can't walk, crawl. But by all means, keep moving.


Author's note:

This is the first book of a series I am writing. The Nallero Series!

The author's comments:

First part of the series! :D


The wind whistled softly through the trees of the forest, it was dark, almost pitch black. Sir Jones pulled out his sword and held it firmly right in front of him. “One is close.” He didn’t look at the man behind him for Jones was examining the trees in front of him. He knew the man he stood in front of was nodding to his wise words.

“Sir, your knowledge is accounted for.” The man said.

Jones immediately turned around putting a finger to the man's lips. Jone’s black cape swung around and wrapped his legs. “We must make no sounds nor movements.” He took his finger away and brushed his cape to the side. “That is one of the number one rules we must follow to hunt down these mutants, Howard.” He shot a glance at Howard then continued forward with his sword.

“Um, Sir,” Howard spoke in his quiet, timid voice, “I’d much rather have you call me by my first name. Liam.” He expanded his fingers on one of his and threw it into the sky.

Jones grunted, he turned his head around his shoulders to look at Liam. He had dark brown hair with bangs Jones couldn’t imagine. Jones could barely see his eyes, but those eyes were a murky green. He was rather tall, with not that much weight. Liam wore a dark blue tunic with ripped black leggings, with worn out black shoes. Jones turned forward and started cutting a few vines that hung low, he turned back towards Liam, “I feel that the last name being called upon whom is rather more kind.” Liam nodded, pulling out his wooden club that had been strung to his back. 

“We are getting close.” Jones sped up.

“Sir, how do you know where they are?” Liam asked trying to keep up with Jones.

Jones stopped, he turned around. “Howard, I have a few things to ask. Why do you want this job and how do you think you are going to survive?” Jones pointed towards Liam with his sword. “I mean, by the looks of it you haven’t eaten in days. They can take you out within a single heartbeat, if not shorter.” Jones slowly pulled the sword away. 

Liam gulped, “My family is very poor, this job can help me get money for my family. If I die, I do not care. All that matters is that my family survives through these harsh times.”

Jones was shocked with this answer. It took time for Jones’s tongue to roll out some words, “Tonight, you watch. Not fight. Then when we get back to the village, I shall give you porridge and enough bread to last your family quite a while.”

Liam’s eyes shot wide behind his bangs, “Really!? Oh, how grateful I shall always be.” Liam pounded his chest. “But sir, I do have one question, how do you know where they are? And, aren’t there people who believe these people should stay?” Liam fiddled with his fingers, biting his lips.

“That was two questions,” Jones said as he turned back forward and went at a slow pace. “But yes, they do believe.”

“Yes yes, but they believe that these spirits control nature and protect people from harm.”

“Yes, well those people should die.” Before Liam could speak, Jones continued, “The natural forces, even if they are these spirits don’t give us a chance. They shield us, not letting us try. Making us grow in fear of those things, they make us weaklings.” Jones couldn’t bear the thoughts of those words. He swung his hand in the air, flushing those thoughts away.

“Again. Wise words Sir Jones.” 

Jones grinned, he loved it when someone complimented him. If not, then they were probably dead. Jones then pointed towards him and they continued. They went deeper into the forest not making any small talk. Jones mind was wondering, It is close. I know it. Seems to be walking, cause they aren’t getting any closer. Jones knew the only way to catch it faster was to run. He jumped to the side where the shadows were at their darkest, running along in the bushes. He heard the bushes rustle behind him, Liam was staying close. Soon enough, they came to a field. The moon glistened upon this field. It was almost as if it was day.

Liam started walking for the field until Jones pushed him. In a harsh whisper Jones said, “It will see you. We must wait until it comes into the field.” Jones smiled, “It lead us right to it’s Carrial.”

Liam pushed Jones gently away, “Carr-i-what?”

Jones then shook his head as if that was the dumbest question ever, “Carrial. It is a ring of magic that the Nallero created. The magic causes a portal which helps them get to Nallerie.” Liam gave a slight smile with a nod.

Jones nodded back then turned back to the Nallero. It was a dragon, his wings were a bright red with a glowing yellow tip. He was quite strong and tall. Tallest one Jones has ever seen. He had red hair and was tan, really tan. We wore what they call a tuxedo and had black glasses on. The man looked around feeling the stare coming from Jones. 

Jones looked away to let the man feel safe, even though he wasn’t. The man then walked to the center and formed a fireball in the midst of his hand. Jones heard a gasped come from Liam so he put his whole hand to his mouth, still watching. The guy released the fireball and it did a swirling motion in the air, creating a white fog that started to drift upon the guy.

“Hurry, I need the bow. You brought it, right?” Jones turned to Liam who grinned and handed to Jones.

“Sure did.”

“Good.” Jones snatched the bow from his hands and Aimed it for the center, he felt the presence of the Nallero in the fog right where the point of the arrow aimed for. Jones breathed and let go. They both heard a screech from the fog then a red glow came. It glowed brighter until they realized it was fire, it shot out hitting the tree behind them.

“Howard! Go hide in those trees over there.” Jones pointed to some trees where Liam ran over to and huddled in some bushes. Jones looked up and saw the man fly out of the mist, the mist vanishing. The man’s leg was swollen from the arrow. Dangit. Jones thought. I must have used the poison arrow, that one cost three emerald plates! Jones looked at us to the man, his eyes were golden and filled with fire, his wings flapped like hummingbirds. The mas tail had spikes that sprouted across it.

“You humans!” The man bellowed as he spun around in the air, tossing spikes around. Jones blocked some with his sword. Once the spikes touched the ground they burst into flames. Fire grew everywhere, “Do you humans ever make up your mind!? First, you are proud, then you come out to kill us!” The man threw a few more fireballs. All deflecting off of Jones’s sword.

“And that is how it should be!” Jones yelled then jumped into the air. The man was shocked at how high Jones could jump. Jones practiced all the time. Then Jones threw his sword into the chest of the man. Jones landed on the ground, and the man fell to the ground with a thud.

The man laid there, lifeless. Liam came running up to Jones, “Sir, that was unbelievable!” Jones nodded and stared at the man. “Sir though, where is the blood, you stabbed him in the chest. But no blood leaks from the lifeless body in front of us.”

Jones kneeled down, “Nallero’s don’t have blood. Instead of blood in their veins, it is magic itself. They are magic.” Jones then watched as red dust glowed and seeped from the wound on the man. Jones pulled a pouch from his side and started collecting the dust.

“What is that stuff you are collecting?” Liam kneeled down next to Jones.

“It is magic, in other words. Their blood.”

“Thank you sir.” Liam then started collecting it in his hand, “But what do we do with it?”

“We make potions.” Jones said.Once done collecting the magic dust, they stood up and started leaving. Once leaving the Carrial Jones looked back at the body that laid there, as still as rocks. Bringing back memories of someone in that position, only Jones screamed for help tears running down his face. Jones closed his eyes and smiled, Soon enough, they all will be gone. And I will have avenged you, father. Jones then turned back and started running with Liam, leaving the body to burn up in it’s own flames.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.