Untouchable | Teen Ink

Untouchable

October 4, 2020
By mehaparekh_, Aldie, Virginia
More by this author
mehaparekh_, Aldie, Virginia
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

I thought of this when I was younger and it took me three years to figure it out. 

I stared at the blank, unmoving wall. The same wall I had been staring at for the last 14 years of my life. 

My name is Shay Ultain. I’m 16 years old and live in Virginia, and the most exciting thing about me is that my life has no purpose. Yay.  

I was born to Jacob and Cristina Ultain. The only people I’m allowed to talk and interact with. They’re the ones who keep me from going insane in the bedroom I’ve been confined to for most of my life. 

Why have I been in this room for all of my life, you’re asking? 

Oh, that’s easy, it's because any living thing that touches me gets hurt.

Why do people get hurt when they touch you, Shay? (this is the next question we’ll believe you asked)

Oh honey, if I knew, I wouldn’t be here right now. No one’s really sure, not me, not my parents. Literally no one. I really would like to know though, but not just what did this, but why I did deserve this. 

Why don’t you just leave? 

Ha. Haha. Oh my god, that was such a funny question. Honey, my parents wouldn’t like it and I’m definitely not going to risk making the only people I can talk to mad at me. Also, if I left I’m not going to be able to support myself or get a job or anything- I can’t risk hurting someone by accidentally touching them.

Wait so, Shay, what exactly happens when you touch people? 

Oh that’s easy. If someone tries to touch me, they’ll get thrown back and pushed away. It depends on how much force someone uses to touch me though, the more force you try to use, the more force you’ll be pushed back by. 

Now you’re thinking: You have a horrible life Shay.

I know, right? Of course, a lot of people have it much worse with bad family situations or financial problems, but this isn’t the way I would’ve chosen to spend my life. Stuck at home, doing nothing every day, learning things that aren’t going to do me any good in life.

The door slammed open and I turned around, coming face to face with Cristina Ultain. Cristina Ultain (also known as my mom) was a short and lean woman, with long brown hair and greenish blue eyes. She carried herself with pride, and even though she was my mother, she treated me like an acquaintance. I think it’s because she never wanted to accept that her only daughter was flawed. Cristina liked things perfect, whether it’s a picture on the wall or the people that surround her. Having a daughter who arrived and screwed up her perfect life obviously was hard on her.

“Hi, Cristina,” I said, looking at her. I looked nothing like her, with my light caramel colored skin, black hair, and bright green eyes, we didn’t even look related. I guess she’s happy about that.

“Shay.” She muttered, acknowledging me. She warily handed me a dinner plate and I took it while making sure I didn’t touch her. Even a brush of our fingers can send her flying back against the door.

I can still sense her caution towards me even though it’s been 16 years. I feel bad sometimes, for both Jacob and Cristina. They both couldn’t hug or plan a great future for their first and only child, me. 

Cristina walked out of the room, leaving me to my thoughts, like normal. Sometimes I wonder how I still have things to think about. Especially when I’m always thinking and barely talking. I glanced around my room for something to think about and came up empty handed. The walls of my room were covered with posters for random bands I like, drawings that I drew in my sketchbook, and a bunch of paintings. One of the ocean, one of a horse, and one of a bird. Jacob bought them for me when I was six, telling me that my room needed some personalization and decoration. 

I shoved the rest of the pizza into my mouth, then got up and looked through my closet. I quickly chose a hoodie and sweatpants and walked to the bathroom to take a shower.

After my shower, I climbed into bed and grabbed a book. Reading was a great way to take your mind off of life. Books give you an alternate world to slip into when you’ve had enough of the real world. A gateway into a place where you read and think about someone else’s problems which gave you a break from your own. 

If only I knew everything was going to change the next day.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.