Mind Over Science | Teen Ink

Mind Over Science

By G__M__P BRONZE, Compton, California
G__M__P BRONZE, Compton, California

I really did love writing this story. It was the first time I ever let myself think of something off the top of my head. The title actually comes from a song called Mind Over Matter by Anthony Ramos. I do think that it is a little weird to be inspired by the song since the song has nothing to do with science. I overall really loved writing this piece and hope you do too. 

Being a surgeon means having the courage to fight me on a daily basis. This can be a very tough thing to do, since, well, I am the man death himself. Some kid named Sage Uvaldo thinks of me otherwise.

“Being accepted into this program is amazing. I believe that I was allowed this opportunity to save many lives. At this moment I am a savior, a healer, a caregiver, death’s enemy, and someone’s hero.” Sage mumbles under his breath in the freezing parking lot.

It sounds like Sage feels excited. Yes, Sage, you have a very good reason to be excited about today. You just don’t know it yet. Here comes Roxie Mercedes, Sage’s best friend.  

“Hey, when are we going to the meeting today?” Roxie says to Sage.

“No idea. Maybe we should just wait a bit. Y’know, wait for someone to talk to us?”

“Come on let’s book it!” Roxie then grabs Sage by the arm.

“Wait-” It wasn’t worth the energy to stop Roxie. 

Roxie and Sage met at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota as students ready to learn the future of Medicine. These two are always competing with one another.  It’s really enjoyable to watch and even mess with. You didn’t hear it from me though. 

“Hey slow down would ya? My ankle hurts a lot.”

“Aw pobrecito do you need me to take you to the hospital? Come we can look at it when we get there.” Roxie says in a sarcastic tone. 

“Whatever man, if I can’t walk for a while, I am coming after you. Got it?.” 

They begin walking to the huge window building almost reflecting the future. I know what your thinking, 

“Why are they in such a rush? What's so important for the medical students?”

The pesty medical students are about to embark on a life-changing trial run. Anyway, he audacity these humans have to try and avoid me. I laugh at the thought of this, but for now, I want to see how this goes.

“Come on slowpoke! We gotta go! I don’t want to miss this!! This is medical history happening and you want to be slow?” Roxie says while running across the parking lot.

“Okay, okay I’m going! I don’t want to miss this either. Race you to the entrance!” Sage says running right past Roxie.

“What the he-” Roxie says tiredly while trying to catch up. 

Trying to catch someone with more energy? Roxie you silly girl, I thought you were smarter than this. They almost hit people on the way in. Pity, I would have liked to have seen someone fallen.

They make their way to the meeting room where everyone is in. Funny how you could not do this six years ago. 2020 was the year for me. Enough about that let us continue this story.

“Sit there, sit there! Roxie move faster!” Sage commands as he’s trying to sit. 

Roxie is too tired to even argue with him. They found seats in the front of the theater-like area. They both just relax for a bit while waiting for the presentation to start. Anyway, enough nonsense, let’s listen to it. 

“Welcome everyone to the 2026 Way of Science presentation. I hope everyone can enjoy themselves in this fine hour.” the announcer says who is the head of neuro. 

“Hey, do you think she’ll go for one of us to be part of the experience? I mean this is a crazy opportunity.” Sage says in a whisper.

“Shh! Come, man. No talking over the neuro god. Let’s just watch the presentation.” Roxie frustratingly answers. 

Let’s skip the details and focus on me, the presentation only lasted at least 30 minutes. The head of the neuro department Cristina Pérez explains the entire process of transferring a subconscious living brain into another human body. I’ll explain it my way so it makes sense. Everyone thinks she’s God. She thinks that transferring the mind into a different body can be possible. The person can feel whole once again and live a full long life. I find that treacherous to believe that they can fight me off like I’m nothing. Usually, I’m the one making tough decisions every day, but I guess the load is going to be lifted very lightly. 

“Thank you for your patience. Let’s save lives, people.” As Dr. Perez gets off the stage she motions for Sage and Roxie to come over.

“Is-is she calling us over? Dude is the neuro god acknowledging us?” Sage says excitedly. 

“I think she is. I wonder what she wants with us. Did we do something wrong?” Roxie suggests. Sage starts to panic about his entire future as a surgeon. Of course, what an overthinker. 

“You two are in your last years of residency correct?”

“Yes ma’am we both are,” Roxie answers quickly. 

“Good. How would you two like to be part of this project with me? You two can handle the patients as well as their families. I’ll start prepping the procedure and practicing more of my skills. Can you two do that?” 

Both of the imbeciles nod their heads to her. She walks away from the two letting them soak in what just happened.

“Did she just…” Roxie trails off with her thoughts.

“I think she really did. Wait did she say we needed to go now or-”

“I think now is what she meant.” 

They stand there for at least two minutes before running off to the patients receiving the treatment. Everyone knows the patients so there is no need for more information about the whereabouts of the patients. The first patient is patient A, who is Sage’s patient. Roxie winds up with patient B. The patients were given these names in order for the surgeons to not become too involved with them. Patient A is a young female with blonde hair, short, and is brain dead. For Sage, all she has to do is make sure that the patient does not go into organ failure. As for Roxie, patient B is alive and as well dying. 

Patient B is dying of an incurable disease that is cutting her life very short. Patient B knows the risks of the procedure and still wants to try and live. That was not the same for patient A. Unfortunately, she had a brain bleed and died on the table. Patient B found out about the human trials and wanted a chance to live a full life. These two will have so much fun trying to do my job. I wonder who will crack first. 

“Okay, Sandra I am going to prep you for surgery. Are you ready?” Roxie says to patient B. Patient B’s name is Sandra Mathews, the one dying of an incurable disease.

“Fine evening, am I right? Today’s the day I change my life.” Sandra says to Roxie.

“I know it is a very big day for you. Are you nervous?”

“I… I don’t know how I feel. I mean I’m nervous, scared, and anxious. I mean being in a new body is different right?”

“As someone who hated the body they were born with, having a new body is not something too bad. You just have to get used to it really. You’ll love yourself soon enough. It also helps give you a full life to live which is a good thing.” 

Roxie was not always Roxie. She was once Rocky. She has a bit of knowledge. Just so you know. Sage is not like this though. Speaking of him actually, I wonder how he is doing.

Sage walks over to Patient A’s room. The machines are working to keep the body alive. The beeping became a melody of its own. He seems very nervous.

“I’m so excited for this procedure. Patient A you are going to do the most selfless thing in the entire world. This surgery is going to be so fun to watch. I’ll learn so much from you. So before I prep you, I would like to thank you.” Sage says to the patient. He starts to prep her for the surgery. Meanwhile, Roxie does the same for Patient B. 

Alright let’s skip to when they put the two in the O.R. Not going to lie, I love this place. Everything stops. Almost like my job stops. It never does, but if it did I would go here. There is an untamed silence here. Everything just seems alive. The machines, the tools, the lights, and the doctors in the room are almost dancing with their movements. The smell of rubbing alcohol in the room, filling the nostrils. This is the place of battle as well. I as, death guide the lost soul to the right place, nothing more. How this story ends is interesting, but I’ll leave that up to your imagination. A success or not the story still makes you think.