Clementine's Forest | Teen Ink

Clementine's Forest

By jalvara, Ventura, California
jalvara, Ventura, California

I was inpisred by the natural world and what lies within. After reading this novel I'm hoping for the audience to have admiration and awe of the nature around them that is often tiems overlooked.

Far away in a town named Crumville, there was a young girl named Clementine. Clementine was a very sweet girl, she is 18 years old, and everyone likes her. Clementine is known for being very happy and positive and someone that everyone can count on. One day Clementine decides to go on a hike just outside Crumville with no one with her because she wanted to get fresh air and away from her town for a bit. While she’s going along her stroll she’s enjoying the sights that she’s seeing and enjoyed the smell of the flowers. This is mostly new to her, of course, Clementine has seen flowers and trees but she’s never seen so much green in the town of Crumville. Unfortunately, Crumville has never been known for there green, most people don’t grow gardens or even individual plants, and the ones that do, well, their plants usually wilt within the first week. Clementine grows more mesmerised as time goes by as she is now walking around the woods. She sees a young man, about in his 20s, a little ways away from the forest. She walks near him and asks “Excuse me? Where are we?” He looks up a little startled, “We’re in the Flear Forest?” “The Fleur Forest?”, Clementine responds, “I’ve never heard of it”. The young man doesn’t look surprised, “it is well hidden…”, he answers. Clementine is confused, she’s only a little ways away from her hometown of Crumville and yet she’s never heard of the Fleur Forest. She looks back to the young man to ask him more questions but he was no longer there, she didn’t think much of this because he probably went back to finish whatever he was doing before they talked. She was curious about this forest though. She took a look back and went into the forest. She was pleasantly surprised with what she saw, after a minute of walking she began to see beautiful flowers that she has never seen before. The flowers she was looking at came in an array of colors and were of different types and different heights. There were bushes, tall plants, ground-level plants, roses, redbud trees, and cherry blossom trees in pink and purple, which she has never seen before. As she went deeper into the forest she only grew more fond. Eventually, after she walked through, she made her way back more excited than ever, she was going to tell her entire family about what she just saw, her entire town. As she made her way back to her town she burst through the doors of her small cottage, basically yelling with excitement, “You would not believe what I saw! I went to Fleur Forest, there are flowers and trees like nothing we’ve ever seen and the -”. “Fleur Forest?”, her parents ask, “what’s that?”. Clementine, a little shocked they haven’t heard of it either since they’ve been living in this town for multiple decades longer. “It’s ok I didn’t either look I can show you”, Clementine says. The next day her parents take her to the same place she claims she was before, except instead of a forest with beautiful flowers like no one’s ever seen, there’s a desert. “Honey are you sure this is it,” Clementine’s mom said. “Y-Ya… it was right here I- I don’t understand” Clementine responded baffled. “Maybe you went a different direction sweetie… maybe it was a dream” Clementine’s dad suggested.” Clementine looked at the desert. The desert was filled with light brown dirt, the desert was fenced up, the desert that looked as if no one walked upon it in decades, a desert that no flowers or trees. Clementine was teary-eyed and in a broken voice that although was confused, still held onto hope, she said, “But it was just here”. 

Clementine woke up the next day to the same warm and dry air that she’s been used to her whole life, this morning marked a week since she had seen Fleur Forest. “Good morning” her mom named Linda called from the kitchen, where she was making breakfast. “Hi Mom,” Clementine said. “Hey Clementine, it’s nice to see you out of your room, I feel like I haven't seen you in a week,” said Clementine's dad, named Anthony, “Ant” for short. Ever since visiting that forest last week, Clementine has been living inside her thoughts pondering an explanation for what she saw, or didn’t see.

Clementine serves herself food from the stove that her mom made. Her mom and dad follow close behind her. Clementine serves herself an egg, two pieces of bacon, and a cup of orange juice, her favorite breakfast. As Clementine makes her way around the dining table, her parents sit down and she joins them.

“How’s college been going Clementine?”, Ant asked.

“Huh, oh it’s been exciting, I’m happy I get to take these classes that I love and the people at my school are amazing.”

“Is that so, sweetheart?” said Linda, “I’m happy for you, keep with your studies and you’ll be a veterinarian in no time”

“Thanks, Mom, I’m glad I get to focus specifically on animals, school subjects have never really been my thing,” Clementine mumbled, her mind elsewhere.

“That’s what a good education gets ya, we’re so proud of you Clementine.”

“Thanks, Dad,” as she and her parents were eating breakfast together, she couldn’t help but think of the forest.

Was it really there? What am I saying, of course, it was there, I saw it. Didn’t I?

“Thanks for the food, Mom,” said Clementine as she stood. “I’m gonna go on a drive,” she said as she looked for her shoes.

“Where are you going,” said Linda, furrowing her brows.

“Don’t tell me you’re going back to that town,” said Ant, clearly upset.

Clementine, still looking for her shoes with a distraught look on her face, barely even noticed her parents' words.

“Sweetie, you know we’ll always take your word as truth, but we saw it for ourselves,” Linda said with an understanding look on her face. “There was nothing but a desert.”

This caught Clementine’s attention, “I saw it, Mom, I’m going to prove it to you.” Clementine finally found her shoes and walked out the door heading to a black car that had been parked outside for about 3 minutes. Ant and Linda watched as she opened the passenger door, went into her friend’s car, and drove off without turning back.

“Hey Clem!” her friend said excitedly.

“Hey Rose, thanks for picking me up,” Clementine mumbled, without ever looking up.

Rose and Clementine have been inseparable ever since they met in their freshman year of high school. Similar to Clementine’s bright, wavy, strawberry blonde hair, Rose has straight, light brown hair.

“What’s wrong?” Rose asked, looking very concerned. “You haven’t responded to my messages in days, and then out of the blue, you ask to be picked up. Are you alright?”

Realizing that she’s worrying Rose, Clementine looks up and smiles, “I’m fine, thank you for checking on me.” Unsure of whether or not she should tell Rose about what she discovered last week in fear of Rose not believing her, she says, “Sorry, I’ve just been caught up in my thoughts lately, I hardly noticed my messages...”

Rose glances at her, and then back at the road. “Shoot!” The car comes to a screeching stop. “Sorry!” Rose yells out the window to a pedestrian walking by.

“Well anyway, what have you been up to?”

“I visited Kingston last week, took a walk,” Clementine responded.

“Kingston?” Rose asked. “Isn’t that the city that’s like an hour away?”

“Ya, I wanted to get out of Crumville for the weekend while we’re on summer break.”

“You should’ve invited me, Clem,” Rose says in a longing voice. “We would’ve had so much fun, I hear it’s a beautiful city,” says Rose. “What’s over there anyway?”

“That’s what I’m trying to figure out,” Clementine mumbled.

Rose pulled into the parking lot of a small diner that she and Clementine go to every Sunday at noon for lunch. Clementine couldn’t stop fidgeting, she was battling whether she should let Rose in on her secret. We’ve been best friends ever since I can remember. She believes in me, right? Right?

Rose, noticing the look on Clementine’s face, finally parks in a parking space. As the car comes to a stop Rose looks over, “What is it, Clem. I can tell something’s off, it’s more than just being busy, isn’t it.”

Clementine, fidgeting, an internal struggle is written all over her face, turns to Clementine and out of impulse says, “... I didn’t just go to Kingston...” Rose furrows her brows in confusion. “I sorta went to a forest,” Clementine looks down, not wanting Rose to see her face.

“A forest, but there’s no forest for hundreds of mi-”

“I know,” Clementine says anxiously looking right at Rose. “Trust me I know.”

“Well… how did you even- where did you even find this forest?”

“I was taking a stroll in Kingston, there are so many nice things over there and the scenery is so beautiful I didn’t want to go back just yet so I just kept walking”. Rose makes an audible uh huh sound. “Before you know it I’ve walked so far I must’ve left Kingston, and that’s when I saw a pathway to the most beautiful forest with the prettiest flowers.”

Rose has a look on her face as if Clementine was telling a folktale. “Clem, that doesn’t even make any sense, Kingston is the biggest city in the state, there’s no way you just took a stroll and left the city,” said Rose confused, trying to understand.

“Exactly, there's no way, it doesn’t make sense,” Clementine says with begging eyes. If you could see it you’d understand,” she says turning away from Rose clearly upset.

“Then let’s go,” Rose says seriously. “If what you said is true then let’s go.”

“You believe me- but what if it’s not there,” Clementine says concernedly. “I already tried showing my parents… and that didn’t go well.” Clementine looks away from Rose.

“Well we’ll never know unless we try,” Rose says as she puts the keys in her car and puts the car in reverse.

“What’re you doing,” Clementine says as they’re pulling out of the parking lot. She looks at Rose wondering what she’s doing. “What about lunch?”

“Forget lunch.”

"I can't believe we're going on a road trip to Kingston right now," Clementine said astonished. "We're nowhere near ready, we were dressed to go to the local breakfast diner!"

"Oh calm down it's only an hour trip," Rose said. In a lightened voice she said, "And hey! It'll give us time to just hang out and enjoy the music."

"That's true, we haven't been able to talk in the past week. That's my fault sorry," Clementine said apologetically.

Rose glances over, "That's ok Clem no need to apologize."

"It's a little hot in here don't you think," Clementine said as she reached for the air conditioner knob.

As they're going along the trip the air begins to become cooler and cooler from the AC. Clementine looks out the window for most of the ride to watch the scenery. In the first half of the trip, she saw a desert, over and over again. But she wasn't surprised, this is what she has been used to her whole life, she's only ever lived in Crumville. But as she neared closer and closer to Kingston, she began to see green, she saw green. Clementine was incredibly happy, she was so lost in her own thoughts she didn't pay attention to the environment around her. The air smelt fresh, like freshly cut grass. Kingston seemed to always have what felt like spring weather, a bit of a breeze, rains now and then, but all the while still sunny. This reminded Clementine of Fleur Forest. With a rush of new excitement, she stopped slouching in her seat and began taking in the scenery.