The Traitor | Teen Ink

The Traitor

March 29, 2021
By Rayj321, Cocoa Beach, Florida
More by this author
Rayj321, Cocoa Beach, Florida
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

This piece was originally supposed to just be a small short story in my English class, but quickly turned into a huge story.

A few centuries ago there was an alien spaceship coming to invade Earth. One certain trained alien was trained to go down to Earth as a spy and take over Earth from the inside. The alien’s name was Maliea. About three days before her mission she was granted permission to get powers. She was excited to see what it would be like seeming as she had dreamt about getting powers after watching her family get them and go on missions. She didn’t know what powers she was going to get, but she was hoping that it was flying or shapeshifting. The next day as she was going to the laboratory, she ran into a scientist, eager and excited she asked what powers she would be getting. He gave her a foretaste saying that if she asks again he will deny permission and never allow her to get powers. Even though she was curious as to what powers she would be granted to get she quickly stopped talking and finished getting to the lab. Once she got to the lab they went over the procedure including being injected with different serums, the risk of passing out, and that she will be able to try out all of the possibilities. She was careful not to disrupt the scientists speaking even though their explanations were interminable. When they finally had her sit in the chair they got a trickle of what looked like blue or aqua-colored liquid mixed with other liquids of which she had no clue as to what they were. She asked what was in the tubes right before they injected her because of curiosity and they told her it was a very trivial part of the procedure. After the injection she felt fine at first but all of a sudden she felt alight as if she were on a roller coaster going down. She passed out not even a minute later and so the scientists carried her to a cot to make way for the next alien getting powers. 

About thirty minutes later she finally woke up to a nurse testing her heart rate and the nurse was startled by her waking. The nurse called over the doctors so they could make sure the procedure was a success. They asked Maliea to get up and stand adjacent to the cot she was sleeping on. She went down the list of different powers she could have which included shape-shifting, flying, laser vision, super strength, super speed, and invincibility. None of the powers she had and she was getting worried the procedure wasn’t a success. They decided that they would get the other list of rare powers the aliens could have that almost no one has ever had. They got to invisibility and when they tested her they could no longer see her. They said that besides invisibility she should have one other power and so they continued to test her. After about 20 minutes they finally got to her last power. The power that she got was teleportation. They found this out because they put her into a simulation that shows her worst fears. Due to the simulation, she teleported across the room. After she got her powers finally figured out they sent her to training. After a day or two, she got the hang of teleporting to the desirable places she wanted to go and also learned how to control her invisibility. She was finally ready to go on her mission. Before she left she felt the need to thank the scientists and ask if there was any way she could recompense. They told her that it was her job and good luck on her mission. 

As she was boarding the rip-off spaceship she noticed that the seats looked old and rusted and the walls were old and the frame looked like if something happened when landing the odds of surviving were very slim, in all the spaceship needed to be renovated before a disaster happens. The administrators told her that she would need to have her seatbelt on at all times and they insinuated that they would be watching and directing the flight to make sure that nothing goes wrong. She told them that she would follow their directions and complete the mission she was given. On the way down they had a visual of what the spaceship looked like from the outside and she tried to set her mind on that to stay calm. As the ship entered the atmosphere it started to vibrate and hurtle through the sky with great speed. She was so overwhelmed that she decided it would be best if she were at home with her family all together and happy. She opened her eyes and there was no vibration and the visuals were turned off. Over the intercom, they told her that she would be turning into a human momentarily even if she didn’t notice and do not be scared when the humans found her. She took their words and directions and when she heard machines coming towards her she started yelling and screaming as if she was injured and needed help so they could find her. They were able to open the door and continued to help her out and ask her how she got her since there weren’t any scheduled landings. She quickly explained that she was told to return given no further instructions, information, and not to ask questions. They were still suspicious of her randomly landing here, but decided it would be best to not interrogate her since she just landed.

They drove her back to the space center and got her settled in and then they decided it was finally time to interrogate her on who she really was. She told them the truth in some parts so it would seem like they could believe her so when they asked for her name she replied; Maliea Turner. When they asked her when she went to the space station she told them almost a year ago, when she was asked how old she was she responded with a simple 26 years of age. They left her to sit in their office and went to elaborate and check the database for her credentials. They found nothing in short and came back to ask her where she was really from or else they would arrest her for the rest of her life. She decided that it would give her a chance to live if she told them the truth. She told them how she was an alien from a different planet, and she was set out on a mission to help overtake Earth, and that she was just following directions. They took her words into deep consideration and their last question was; do you have any superpowers? She immediately told them yes and that she could teleport and be invisible hoping she would get a chance to live. They put her back into her room and locked the door in case she tried to escape or leave and the administrators of Earth to talk and discuss as if this was a humdrum life they lived.

About what seemed like an interminable time they came in and decided that she could be of help to them. The administrators from the government made her pledge loyalty to Earth and that she would help in any way they needed her to. She said of course and repeated after the administrator. They told her that they wanted her to point out her home spaceship because they wanted to take it down so there weren’t any dangerous risks. She reluctantly told them, but she doesn’t want her family members and everyone she knows to die because of her. She told them that as well, but they told her that if she wanted to live that she shouldn’t try to convince them differently. The spaceship was a vicious and bad place, but to Maliea it was her homeland. 

The government associates decided to make an attack date. The attack date was to happen exactly two weeks from today and they needed to train, prepare, and make sure all the aircraft were sturdy and up to date. Maliea was given the job of making a blueprint of the spaceship so they could know their way around. After she finished the plans she showed the head chiefs of the operation and they made a plan to infiltrate the ship. They decided that they would disguise Maliea so she could still help to bring down the ship but looks like she’s trying to fix the engines instead. Maliea wanted to give one last piece of information which was that they should make the space crafts look run down like the one she came down to Earth in, but they thought it was a trivial thought and passed it on.

Two weeks later, the day finally came, after training for this and practicing her powers that she was granted. They said they would go up at ten in the morning to infiltrate the ship and finish the so-called job by eleven-thirty. At nine forty-five everyone would be boarding. Maliea was instructed to take a team of trained agents into the engine room and take down the ship. While they would be stopping the engines the rest of the teams would be protecting them and taking out any alien that came toward the engine room. Even though this was a good idea they had to make it believable so no alarms would be set off when they get close to the ship. Maliea knew that it was for the better to help the people on Earth rather than turn against them, but they wanted to have her take down her home, all of her memories would be gone. She knows that the trip back up is going to be the same way it was down, hurtling through the atmosphere, back up to the vicious place where it all started. At 9:40 she started heading down to the loading docks, she was walking through the barren halls relieving the memories of how she first got here, and how excited she would be to see her home again before having to destroy it. Maliea remembered that the alien administrators warned that she would turn back into her alien form as she passed the Earth’s atmosphere, she should probably warn the head chief of that before they go up she thought. 

As she was boarding the plane to take them up, she said her name and told the chief what would happen to her and to not be scared or anything. He told them that they would also be turning into an alien form to fool everyone on board and also so they’d have more time and not set off alarms as quickly. She got on board the spacecraft that would be taking her back to where she was born, where she spoke her first words, where she first crawled, it was her home, her family's home, everyone that she grew up with lived there, and she has to destroy it all. Everyone was on board, and they were checking for any last-minute bugs or malfunctions. Maliea laid back and thought about what her job was and made sure to remember everything that she was supposed to execute.

They had a countdown and when they got to 10 everyone joined in. Maliea thought it was weird everyone joining in at once, but she did it anyway. 5….4...3...2….1...Then the engines started, and everyone hollered and yelled from excitement. The ride back up into space was weirdly different. It wasn’t as chaotic as she thought it would be and there was no hurtle of energy on the way up like there was when she came down. It only takes about 5 minutes to get up to space and then they have to find the spaceship and land near it without raising any alarms. That was going to be the hardest part of the whole mission. They had a map of where they were and an estimated time of when they should be arriving at the spaceship if the calculations were correct.

At 10 o’clock, we got to my home. Everyone was instructed to be quiet or else we’d get caught. Maliea’s team were farthest from the door since they were to be protected until we got to the engine room which was when they split up. The bad news was, the alarms went off earlier than planned. All the people Maliea was supposed to go to the engine room were called to help and so she was left alone. She knew that it was time to use the powers this place had granted her just weeks before this. She quickly turned a corner and became invisible, careful not to say anything or run into other aliens she would be encountering. As she was teleporting down halls, she saw something she hoped she wouldn’t have to. She saw the scientists that gave her powers running frantically down the halls, she also saw her family… She knew she had to keep running, but she had to warn them, in hopes that they could get out in time. She saw her mom and became seen again. She told her what was going on and what she needed to do to get out with herself, and her siblings. She said her goodbyes and went back invisible. Invisibility is just some power you get out of luck, getting teleportation as well though, well that sounds like fate. 

When she finally got to the engine room, it seemed like she was just living in a nightmare. Having to see her fellow peers getting blown into nothing for the better of Earth? That doesn’t sound fair or better at all.

Once she got to the engine room she had to become visible again so the moving levers and knobs wouldn’t look weirdly out of place or anything of the sort. As she was working on taking the engine down the head chief alien, Captain Isaac came in and asked what she was doing in here. To act normal she replied saying that she heard the alarms go off and since this was her ‘post’ that she immediately came here. He told her that they needed her to go to the other ship’s mechanical room since that’s where most of the problems were occurring. She glanced at the engines and said that she needed to finish what she was doing, but in the middle of her sentence, he said that she needed to get down there immediately and that he would fix the engines. Maliea knew she couldn’t fight the captain over what she should be doing if she wanted to remain undercover, so she reluctantly walked out of the engine room and started down the hall. After she turned the corner she stopped and realized that she needed to go back to finish the job or else all of the pain and terror she witnessed would all be for nothing.

She became invisible once again and teleported down the hall where she just was. The only problem was that she is going to have to get to the engine room without the door opening. The only option is teleporting through the door. But she’s never teleported through solids before so this would be a challenge for her. She tried to envision the room, and think she was in there before teleporting through the door, she was also hoping that once she got into the room she wouldn’t run into the captain because she would also be invisible and well that would just raise mass suspicion. She closed her eyes and teleported. She opened her eye, keeping one cringed closed and the captain was standing right next to her. He had just fixed the engine and was putting away all of the tools he used. She stood there hoping that he would leave the room so she could continue to destroy the engines. He stood up and that’s when he noticed her. He said in a very raised voice, asking what she was still doing in here, and that he instructed her to go to the mechanical room. She froze. She thought she was invisible, she thought no one could see her. She looked down to see if she could even see herself, and well she could. The answer was that she couldn’t teleport and stay invisible, it was more of a one or the other. He asked her again, what was she doing standing there. She thought it to herself as well, and the only thing she could think of was, I’m here to save the Earth. After saying this she went invisible and grabbed the rope and tied the captain next to the shelves. She told him that if this ship is going to go down he could be the first to go with it. Her talking had startled the captain. It was like a voice inside his head telling him what not to do. He was so in shock that he didn’t know how to reply so said nothing and just kept his mouth open. After Maliea finished tying him up she realized that she needed to finish the job before there wasn’t any time left.

She got straight to work. Careful to set it so the others including herself could also get off the ship before the blast. She had also decided it would be a better idea to put something against the door so no one could get in if they tried. As she continued working she followed the steps she learned the week before making sure she was doing everything correctly. She made sure to set off the alarm in two minutes so everyone had time and she finally notified the team that they had two minutes starting, . . . now! 

She teleported out of the engine room and sprinted down the halls. After living here for her whole life she memorized all the halls, turns, and twists this place had. She teleported every once in a while. If the hall was long, she would teleport to the end of it and then continued to sprint toward the ship. 

Once she reached the loading dock she realized she was the first to make it. She opened the door to the ship and waited until she saw some of the Earth people’s uniforms down the hall from her. They were yelling something. Having no idea the dangers that lied ahead Maliea started speed-walking down the hall wanting to get answers. As the crew grew closer she realized they were saying to run. She turned around and sprinted back to the ship and saw all the aliens coming behind them. She got into the ship and started it ready to take off once everyone was in. Everyone filed in running to their seat. After a majority of the crew got into their seats she was ordered to close the door. She followed instructions and closed it. After departing she asked where everyone else one. No one answered her. She decided not to ask again until they got back to Earth.

Once they landed back on Earth and everyone got off the ship she asked again where the rest of the crew was. They looked at her and simply told her that they didn’t make it. She stood there, thinking about what could’ve happened. There was no explanation. When they all got back to report the mission successful they told the head chief what had happened.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.