The Story of the Death | Teen Ink

The Story of the Death

By njaya, Colombo, Other
njaya, Colombo, Other

From this story I want people to understand that killing an animal may lead the rest of its species to lurk and avenge on us humans

The gravestones stood silently, row upon row like soldiers long forgotten. Death lurked in every door with hell in each dark house.  
I was the only person left in the entire world after doing endless tedious unsuccessful investigations. Everyone had already gave up the ghost and the city looked empty like space. I was as lonely as a cloud and my heart was shattered into pieces due to the repentance of failing to save at least my family, when I was once the glorious medical research professor.  
Yet, though, it has been declared that all humans were dead, I still had hope that maybe my parents and other humans were still surviving. But really, what led me to be the only person left on earth? Okay, let me tell you the story of the death.  
On December 19th, 2025, I was carrying an experiment on Human Genetics with my lab partners. One of them was an expectant and her name was Jill. So, she had a doctor visit on that exact day which I decided to accompany. While we were heading the car, radio played a breaking news which said that people at a glance were coughing blood and fell dead and it was spreading all over. But as so, we decided to research after the doctor visit. Due to the coldness, I was wearing a fluffy winter jacket and had a scarf covering my face. My friend too wore a fluffy jacket but did not wear a scarf around her face. After arriving, as soon as we got off the car, a man who stood about five meters ahead of us coughed and died. We looked at him with dismay and entered the hospital building. There by, we saw all the patients dropping dead one by one, except for the doctors who tended to wear masks.  
“Maya and Jill, here wear these masks,” advised a doctor. “Being one of those famous professors you two cannot drop dead too.” 
We both agreed and wore them. I did not remove my scarf. Instead, I just wore it over. But due to a certain reason, after wearing the mask Jill died right near me along with her expecting baby with a buzzing sound, which shocked my body like the vibration of a Bell. I started to whimper like a dog as I saw Jill being carried away, with her brown hair blowing from the winds cries.  
With the sadness as deep as the ocean, I headed back to the lab to see everyone breathe once last. As soon as I saw this, I hesitantly took my phone and called my parents. Yet, none of them answered. I called them for hours and I even tried calling the people I knew but, again none of them answered. Finally, I had no choice but coming to a conclusion that they succumbed. Gut wrenching sobs tore to my chest for days or months until I finally decided to find precautions for the people still breathing, until I found a vaccine. I discovered many precautions but because some people act like driving a car without an engine the earth's human population decreased from billions to thousands. Month by month the population decreased from the thousands to hundreds and hundreds to ten until it became just one. (except if the staff of the hospitals were trying to survive) None of my vaccines worked as the spreading disease tended to modify itself and blood samples did not help. And that is how the story of the dead started.....

being the only person surviving I headed to the library with catastrophic grief until I suddenly heard buzzing sounds. The same ones which I heard when Jill had died. Since I was wearing all the safety precautions, I decided to open the door. And as soon as I open the door the buzzing sounded louder as though the room was swarming with invisible bees. In few seconds, a fully grown type of Pixie came spiraling out of a cubbyhole. It had shiny beetle like wings, tiny needle-sharp teeth, it had a fairy like body covered with thick black hair and lastly it had four tiny fists cleansed with furry.  
“What are you?!” I exclaimed .  
“Well, you seriously do not know who I am?” asked the weird looking creature. 
“Of course, I don't,” I replied. 
“Why do you look so heartbroken?,” the weird looking creature questioned. 
“All my friends and family have died due to a pandemic and I'm the only human left. That is why I look so sad,” I replied reluctantly. 
His eyes were super huge, and it was sparkling as if it was a disco ball. For some reason, I felt that he was the cause of everybody's death. So, I decided to question him but, before I did, I took a repellent and spread it on him which made him fall and then paralyze.  
For once, I could not remove the dead bodies of my dead staff, due to the death of the people who buried the bodies. I kept them in my boss’s room. As soon as I entered, the room smelled like rotten trash, which made me almost puke. Then, I saw that each body had a mark of a bite on top of the nose which, looked as if needles have been pricked into them. I took the paralyzed creature and struck his teeth on to one of the dead bodies. The bite looked the same. According to my thinking, they all died due to the poisonous venom, which went down the nasal cavity into the lungs. That is why each person tended to cough blood and die. Suddenly, the paralyzed creature became invisible and then came back to its normal state. So, what I understood from this, was that the creature had been clinging on to Jill’s nose end invisibly and had bit her when she had put on the mask. 
After identifying the cause for all humans to die, I dropped the creature to wake it up. Then I tried to remove its teeth without harming my fingers, which made it yell. Afterwards, I started to question him. 
“Hey, why did you remove my teeth?” the creature yelled. “All humans are the same.” 
“Before you ask me why I did, tell me what you really are,” I asked him sternly. 
“OK then, if you insist,” the creature reluctantly muttered. “I am a tuzi.” 
“Alright then tuzi, I figured out that you were the person who killed all the humans,” I told him. “Yet you could not kill me.” “Anyways there must be a reason for trying to make humans go extinct. Could you tell me why?” 
“Oh wow, are you questioning me?” the tuzi divulged in an apathetic tone. 
“If you don't answer my questions, get ready to lose your wings,” I cautioned. 
“OK fine why I came here to kill all humans, was because, one professor of zoology discovered of our species,” confessed tuzi. “I think he was Professor George Edward.” 
Really, oh never heard of him before,” I interrupted. “So, there's more of you on earth?”  
“Yeah, stop interrupting,” tuzi urged.  
“OK fine, continue,” I instructed. 
“Professor George wanted to use our invisibility power and be the King of the world. To figure the process, he killed half of our population and we have turn out to be endangered. so, to take revenge we killed everyone including that professor. Yet somehow because you and some people were in the hide out we could not kill. Now because you took my teeth out you get more revenge,” tuzi roared.  
“I pulled your teeth out not because I wanted to kill you. It was because I wanted to know why you killed human species. As you now do not have your secret weapon, even if you become invisible you can't attack me and if you try to bring your other friends I might as well take your wings off too ,” I hissed. 
“oh, not my wings,” tuzi begged. 
“then you shall listen to me,” I insisted. 
“OK,” tuzi decided. 
“Tuzi, if you help me find an antidote …” 
“There's no antidote as they're all dead.” he said. “As soon as the tuzi bites they fall dead.” 
“Are you telling me the truth?” I demanded. 
“yes, I am but …” 
“But what?” I yelled. 
“There is an antidote,” he said quietly. 
“how do you make it?” I asked. 
“I know you are interested but I can’t tell you the ingredients,” Tuzi explained. “This antidote will not finish even if you drip the whole bottle on the floor. But, when your task is nearly done, the bottle then stops refilling. Use it wisely and do not let it go to the wrong hands after your task is over. And note that  it only works for people who have good condition in their bodies and have their pulse going. 
“Okay, so could I have it now?” I asked. 
“I am afraid I can give it to after you do some tasks,” claimed tuzi. 
“OK fine what should I do,” I snapped. 
“You should first untie me and then give me the teeth back,” Tuzi indicated. 
“But that is only if you …” 
“Okay, okay ,” said tuzi “Here’s the antidote. If you need any help, say “Tuzi muzi”.  I will try my best to stop my friends.” and then Tuzi vanished. 
“Wait… oh never mind then,” I mumbled. 

The bottle was filled with shimmering liquid. At first, I had a doubt if I were deceived. But, then without considering any longer, I checked whether any of my staff was alive. But no. Then, I went to the hospital , still with all precautions,  to see a doctor coming out the door alive but coughing . I quickly sprayed the antidote on him, making him come back to life. This antidote not only made the doctor look healthy but even young. With my amazement , I tried to save as much as people I could. Finally, I was done with the hospital. Days went flying until , I somehow saved a million of people from all around the world. Thanks to tuzi anyways. I felt quite happy after a long time and I felt like a bird soaring through the azure skies. I saved everyone from each corner of the earth until I was finally aged 70- the retiring age. Anyways , after spending my life saving and bringing up more people, I found half of my family who had been hiding from tuzis . Likewise, I succeeded in rising the population back to a billion. 
“tuzi, muzi,”I yelled 
The tuzi queen and tuzi arrived. 
The queen looked just like tuzi but differed by a golden pair of wings and tiny needle type teeth. 
“Well, I guess not all humans are rude then, you remembered,” the queen giggled. 
“Its just that you have grown quite old after the day I saw you,” Tuzi said with a smile. 
“Yeah, you look the same Tuzi,” I laughed. “This must be your queen then. I am really sorry about Professor George’s acts.” 
“Well, we are dreadfully sorry too. We too really wanted to bring back our kind. That’s why we had to kill humans,” the Tuzi queen answered. 
“Oh, so then did you succeed?” I asked. 
“Yes, we did. That’s why I sent this tuzi to hand you the antidote,” the Tuzi queen explained. “Tuzi muzi” 
As soon as she shouted those words all the tuzis appeared. There were thousands of tuzis around the room which made me feel as if I were in heaven. 
“I think it’s time we depart then,” the queen gracefully said. 
“Wait...” But it was too late. They all vanished in a speck of dust and left behind  a statue of the queen. I then poured the rest of the remaining antidote as people may use it wrongfully if they got their hands on it. This made the queens statue rise and move to the library in where I first discovered the tuzi. 
Well, all the bodies were buried, and we did our funerals. Once again, Earth wasn’t empty as humans returned. The lab was newly renovated and acquired new staff. Even though, I am retired now, I am noticed as a glorious medical research professor again and I could feel it. I wrote this full life story on my diary so that if one lucky hand gets hold of it and enhance his or herself of this wonderful story. The lesson that I learned is that even a raging enemy can turn into a lifesaver if you shower kindness back to them. 

THE END