Towards the Future | Teen Ink

Towards the Future

October 13, 2021
By TrendyTiger13 BRONZE, Champaign, Illinois
More by this author
TrendyTiger13 BRONZE, Champaign, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

My names Kailee and I am 14 years old. I wrote this on a whim one day. I never thought I would get any where close to finishing it, since I give up on things really easily. I'm glad I continued writing and almost finished this book

Another boring day in Japan doing nothing, I thought to myself. I sat at my desk, staring out the window,  just like every main character does. The class was the same as always so I decided to watch cars pass and try to count all the different colors I saw. I know that’s stupid but for me, it’s pretty relaxing. Like, what’s the point in trying to do good in school if you’re just going to disappoint yourself and others. Nobody cared if I did well, so why bother? I wasn’t planning on going to college anyway. The sky was gray and I felt unmotivated to do anything. I would have just stayed home if it was somewhere I enjoyed being. But, it wasn't. I guess school is good in that regard. I can tell my parents I had an afternoon club to go to whenever I come home super late. And living in Japan is awesome and all, but when you’ve lived here for 16 years, there’s nothing new to do. So, I’ll just keep acting like the perfect human that has no opinions and cruise through life until I am an adult. Then I can venture out into the world and see if there are any good people anywhere to be found. As long as everyone keeps pretending that I don’t exist, that goal should be pretty easy to obtain. Unfortunately for me, the world likes to throw every inconvenience my way just to spite me. And this one I never saw coming.

    I was barely paying attention at the time since I had counted 27 white cars and I forgot how many were black. “Oh, you're finally here.”

 I never cared for what my teachers had to say. They didn’t care if I learned anything if I stayed quiet and didn’t make their jobs any harder. “This is our new student. Please introduce yourself.” 

We hardly ever had new students. I couldn't care less. It wasn’t like I was going to talk to them. My social awkwardness would never allow that. 

“What's up, my peeps! My name is Zachary Hoshino, but you can all call me Zee. That's what all my friends call me back at home and I want to be friends with all of you.” 

For some reason, I looked away from the window long enough to get a good look at him. I made sure not to make eye contact. I have no idea why I looked, but I did. He had reddish-brown hair and tan skin. He wore glasses but I’m pretty sure he just wears them because he thinks they make him look cool. His clothes look like he found them in a dumpster. He wore a New York-style t-shirt and jeans with holes everywhere. How could you even consider those clothes?  And the way he talks, jeez, could he be any cheesier? I already hate him. Anyone who gives me second-hand embarrassment can go straight to hell. I don’t understand how people, like him, don't just kill themselves from how much cringe they radiate. I hope he stays far away from me. 

“Well, it is a pleasure to meet you, Zee. Now, please take your seat. You will be sitting next to Shiori. Shiori, please stand up and introduce yourself to Zee. Also, tell him something about yourself.”

    Of course, she had to pick me. There was an empty seat next to Jun and Haruka but she just had to pick me. I stood up from my seat and looked down at his red Jordans, which looked pristine compared to his ratty outfit. 

“Hello, my name is Shiori Mikami. I enjoy drawing. I hope that we can be good friends.”

Whenever I’m talking to someone new, my voice heightens three octaves and I tend to act differently. It’s not because I don’t like who I am, I just don’t like people knowing the real me. Only one person could see through my act, but that one person is gone. 

“I enjoy drawing too. Maybe we can meet up after school and draw some anime characters?” 

“Sure. That sounds lovely,” I lied. I wasn’t worried about hanging out with him. By the time the day is over, one of the kids would probably already tell him the rumors and then he would make up some excuse on why he can’t hang out. I’ve seen it all before. We had a group project due at the end of class. It was a record and report paper. We pretty much asked our partners the questions that were on the paper, then record their answers. I had to work with Zachary since he sat next to me. Great. I decided to ask the first question.

“Okay. Question one. What are you trying to achieve this school year?”

“That’s easy. To befriend everyone in this class, maybe even the entire school.”

What a meaningless goal. Having more than one friend is going to cause drama. Also, it’s not like you're going to stay friends with everyone. My goal would be something like finishing all the anime I’ve started by the end of the year. That would be a very hard, but attainable goal.

“So, what’s your goal?” Zach asked.

“To get good grades.” I might as well say something simple or his tiny brain won’t understand. 

“That’s a great goal! If you do good in school, you can do anything in life.”

God, he’s so naive. 

“Okay, next question. Who is your greatest inspiration in life?”

Zach thought for a moment. “I love my mom, but my inspiration would have to be my dad. He’s so cool. He works as a carpenter, but for electronics, whatever that would be called.”

A technician, you moron. 

    “But I want to be just like him when I grow up…” Zach became quiet and silently thought to himself looking down. After a few seconds, he was back to being happy-go-lucky again. I wonder what that was about.

    “So who’s your inspiration?” 

    “Mine?” Crap I forgot to think of a fake answer. If I answer with my honest opinion, I would have to say my dog. He sits around all day, doing nothing. I inspire to be just like him. 

    “I would have to say, my mom.”

    “Why’s that?” 

Dammit! Why does he have to have an explanation? I gave him an answer already.

    “Well...Umm… She raised me as a single mom for 10 years and I think that is inspiring.” Luckily, he will never know, that was a complete lie.

    “And the last question is, ‘What do you want to be when you grow up?” 

What kind of stupid question is this? Are we kindergarteners again?

“I already told you what I want to be.”

He did? Was I supposed to be paying attention? I thought back to the last conversation we had and tried to find any indication of an answer.

“You want to be a… Technician right?”

“Oh yeah. That’s what that’s called. I totally forgot. Thanks for reminding me.”

At least I remembered what it was.

We answered the rest of the questions and finished the assignment. 

    After this class was lunch, my favorite part of the day. I sit at the corner table by myself. It’s not because I don’t have anywhere to sit. It’s because I don’t like people. They are all the same pieces of sh*t. The only way to survive in this world is by stooping to their level and hiding your true self. If no one knows the real you, they have nothing to judge but a shell from the past. The corner table is a great way to get away from those people. I got my lunch and as I was walking over to my seat, I suddenly froze. 

“Hey, Shiori! Over here!” I saw Zachary sitting at my table, happy as ever. I wanted to smack that stupid grin off his face. “Hi, Zachary. What are you doing?” 

“You said you wanted to be friends so I thought we could sit together for lunch! And since we are becoming friends, you can just call me Zee. Doesn’t that sound awesome?” 

That sounds like hell. No, this is worse than hell. Satan would never stoop this low. There must be another evil force at work. One more sinister than Satan himself. “Of course. I would love to sit with you.”

    I want to go home. I know I said being at home was worse than being here but I was sorely mistaken. He just kept talking and talking. He talked so fast I could hardly understand what he was saying. One second he would be talking about animes that I’ve never heard of, and the next he would ask me a question like, “Do ya sometimes think that everybody could be lying to us and the world is flat?” Like, what the f*ck? How could you be so dumb? Maybe that’s the way he talks with his friends, but we normal people would like him to slow down. I didn’t know how to respond to him. It didn’t seem to matter since he’s too absorbed in the conversation with himself. Even if I tried to be nice and add my two cents every once and a while, he wouldn’t hear me and keep talking. I bet he wouldn’t notice if I just left. So I decided to test that theory. I stood up and went to the bathroom. As I walked away, I could still hear him talking to himself. I went to the bathroom and waited until lunch was over. I can’t even enjoy lunch now. I used to be able to draw during lunch but now someone is blasting my ear off the whole time. I can’t focus on drawing. 

The rest of the day, I tried my very best to avoid him and whenever we did talk, I tried to keep it short and sweet. Whenever I ended the conversation, he would have this confused look on his face. But he was very persistent.  I guess no one told him the rumors since he did end up coming over after school. We drew different anime OC’s in my treehouse all night. I didn’t enjoy it one bit. I am the kind of person who enjoys peace and quiet. That’s the best way for me to focus. Apparently, that’s not the same for him because he just wouldn’t shut up. I don’t understand how people can multitask that well. 

Every day after that, he would sit at my table during lunch and start an “intriguing” conversation with me, trying to keep me engaged. He even brought some of his other friends over to the table. He would bring us different snacks from New York, which is where he used to live, and give each of us some to try. I just couldn’t stand the constant energy so halfway through every lunch, I go to the bathroom to escape awkward moments. I wish I could tell him to leave me alone in the nicest way possible. Or I could just go off on him and then he would never want to talk to me again. I thought about that idea ever so often. But then my brain reminds me that not being myself was my choice. Now I should live with that choice. I can’t just change because it’s getting hard to deal with others. It should be my choice when I want to change.

    After about a week of this madness, I was so mentally drained. Being with people 24/7 was new to me. I haven’t had friends since I was 10. Nobody likes me when I am myself and people still don’t like me when I’m not. That just gives you a perspective on how f-ed up this world is. I know I’ve said everybody hates me but, for some reason, I feel like Zachary doesn’t and it pisses me off. He is single-handedly ruining my view of the world. Zachary, trying to be my friend, is going to be the end of me. 

Today is field trip day. We are going to this weird abandoned temple. I was planning on ditching it but my parents said they’ve already paid for the trip. I might not like home or my parents that much but, things happen for a reason. Them paying for the trip is pretty much a sign from the universe that I should go, whether that is a good thing or not. For the first time this week, I finally was alone. Zachary had a close buddy that he wanted to sit with on the bus so I didn’t have to listen to him ramble all the way. It was a 4-hour bus drive. Probably not, but it sure felt like it. I brought art supplies, my phone, and my headphones to keep myself entertained. Since the bus was loud from all the kids talking, music was a good way to drown that out but still be inspired. 

I decided to draw characters for an anime I’m creating. It’s about a girl who doesn’t fit in anywhere she goes. Nobody likes her no matter how much she tries to change. She gets bullied at school and one day she decides to try to commit suicide. As she stands on the edge of the bridge, ready to jump, she sees this mysterious green orb. She picks it up and it gives her superpowers. She then proceeds to murder all the people who screwed her over in life. This is what I wish I could do. Maybe if I go try to kill myself, I’ll find a green orb and murder everyone. I spent the rest of the bus ride thinking of different ways people commit suicide and kept writing my story.

We finally made it. I stepped off the bus and took in the sight of the huge temple in front of us. “Remember children. No running, touching things, or rough play. This temple is really old and we don’t want to ruin the history.” I don’t know why teachers say this. When you tell a kid not to do something, they’re going to do it. It’s just human nature. And just as I predicted, every single kid ran towards the temple at full speed. I decided walking was a better option. It also gave me brownie points with the teacher. As I walked into the temple, my mouth almost dropped wide open. It was so big and mysterious. I decided to take inspiration from this place and write about it in my story. There was stone everywhere and the sun was beaming through the cracks. There were also many different hallways leading to different chambers underground. As I was admiring the temple, I felt a hand grab my wrist. I was about to smack the ever-living bejeezus out of whoever it was before I noticed it was Zachary. I still wanted to smack him but I decided against it for some reason. 

“Hey, Zachary. What are you doing?!” Without saying a word, he pulled me towards one of the hallways. 

“Hey! Where are we going?!” I asked him, but he stayed quiet. After running for a while, I finally freed my wrist from his grasp. 

“You could tell me where we’re going before you just kidnapped me-” 

“Look,” He said, cutting me off. Annoyed, I turned to look at whatever he was pointing at. I looked around for a while when my eyes landed on it. It was this strange-looking remote. It looked too futuristic to be in this temple. 

“Do you see it? Isn’t it weird-looking?” He then proceeded to pick it up. 

“Didn’t the teacher tell us not to touch anything?” 

“Yeah. She told us not to touch anything that belonged in the temple, but this clearly doesn’t belong.” 

I took a closer look at the remote. It was made of a crystally blue material. It had one button on it. “What if this button blows up the world?” I wouldn’t mind that to be honest. 

“I don’t think we should press it just in case.” 

“I think you should keep it,” Zach said, holding it cautiously. 

Why would I do that? If I do that, I will press the button. I am the wrong person to trust.

“Oh sure. I will hold on to it for now. I have pockets to hide it.” 

Please be a button to blow up the world. Please, please, please!

The rest of the trip was not what I expected. I thought we would have free time to explore but nothing ever goes my way. After the teacher gathered all the children, we learned about the history of how the temple was made. Whenever someone asked why the temple was built, the teacher would say that the information was classified. I don’t believe them. I think it was made for unholy reasons that they don’t want us to know about. Also, I got away with hiding the remote. No one noticed it was missing. I haven’t pressed the button yet either. I am going to save that for when I am alone in my ultimate relaxation spot, my treehouse.  Once the trip was over, we all loaded back into the bus. Unfortunately, Zachary wanted to mess with the remote so he decided to sit with me during the bus ride home. The whole way home he theorized what would happen if he pressed the button. None of his theories were as good as the first. He thought maybe it would make everyone in the world happy, or it could rewind time. He even thought it could teleport us. He has a wild imagination. If he was quieter and hated the world like me, we could be good friends and write dark poetry together. But he’s not, so we won’t. 

When I got home, I went straight to my treehouse. I took out the remote and almost clicked the button. But then I stopped and thought about it. If this does destroy the world, would I want that? Do I want to die before my life has started? Before I showed the world what I’m capable of? I thought for a few seconds and I immediately knew the answer. I pressed the button and tensed up. I waited...and waited...and waited...and waited for something to happen. But nothing ever did. I relaxed and felt silly. I thought something was actually going to happen? How stupid could I be? I think Zachary is rubbing off on me. I went to my room, stuffed the remote in my drawer, and went to bed annoyed at myself. I dreamt of a world of nothingness, how peaceful that would be. I went to school the next day extremely disappointed. 

“You pressed the button, didn’t you?” Zachary came behind me asking. How did he even guess that? Was I that obvious? 

“I did. But only because I wanted to see what would happen and keep you safe. Luckily, nothing happened.” 

I wanted to say “unfortunately, nothing happened” but then he would ask why I would say that and I wasn’t sure how to answer that. 

“That was dangerous. You should be more careful with your life. You only have one, ya know.” 

Yes, Zachary. I understand the basic knowledge about the human body. If we die, we are dead. 

“Yeah. I’ll be more careful next time. Thanks for looking out for me.” 

“That’s what friends do! Also, is it alright if I come over again tonight? I think we should investigate the remote more.” 

No, it is not. Just leave me alone. I am in a bad mood since the world didn’t blow up. I don’t want to be let down again.

 “Sure. You can just walk home with me. Don’t forget to tell your mom,” I said as I was walking away. I wanted to just bury myself alive, I was livid. Why can’t he do this by himself? He doesn’t need my help. I told him what I know, now he should be done torturing me.

Since I wanted to get rid of him as soon as possible when I got home, I decided to try the remote again. I pulled it out of my pocket. The bell just rang for everyone to get back to class and I wanted to push it before class started. I pushed the button, expecting nothing to happen but, this time, something really strange happened. Everything around me started going super fast. All the kids were running at unnatural speeds and the noise was unbearable. The people talking in the hallway sounded high-pitched. After a few seconds, everyone was gone. All the students had seemed to disappear. I was so confused. What just happened? I concluded that I was just delusional and that I need more rest. I went to my next class. When I walked into the classroom, the teacher strutted up to me. 

“Where have you been?” she asked in her stupid shriveled voice. I stared at her, puzzled. 

“What do you mean, Miss? I came before the bell rang.” 

“What are you talking about? Class began 5 minutes ago.”

 What was she talking about? The bell hasn't rung yet. What is going on? 

I got off easy because I barely got in trouble at school. For the rest of the class, I was so focused on what to do next. Should I push the button again? Or do I just wait until Zachary comes over to my house? The final option was to throw it away and tell Zachary I lost it. But I have to admit, I am curious about what happened. I gave into my curiosity, which was probably a horrible idea. I took the remote out of my pocket and hid it under the desk. As soon as I pushed the button, once again, everything around me seemed to be happening much faster than it should. I had a few theories but only one stood out to me the most. Was this button fast-forwarding time? I stared at the clock. The hands were going faster. The big hand went 5 minutes in the future before it stopped. Nobody around me seemed to react. They kept listening to the teacher as if nothing happened. I stuffed the remote back in my pocket and didn’t touch it for the rest of the day. On my way home, Zachary stopped me. 

“Wait up Shiori!” I winced at the sound of his voice. I turned towards him. 

“Sorry. I forgot about our meet-up.” 

“It’s ok. Shall we get going?” 

“Before we do, I have a question.” 

“Yeah, what’s up?” 

“Do you mind if we press it at the park?” I asked. “I think it would be a better place to test if anything happens there.” 

“I think that’s a great idea. And if nothing does happen, we can hang out for a while.” 

“That would be nice.”

On the way to the park, we were silent. For some reason, Zachary hadn’t said a word to me. Not that I’m complaining, it was just weird. I wondered if something was on his mind. When we finally arrived at the park, we sat at the nearest bench. The sun had started to set. I took the remote out of my pocket. I might as well do the courteous thing and ask if Zachary wants a turn. 

I asked, “Do you want to press it this time?” 

Zachary thought for a moment, then replied,” No, I think it's better if you do it.” 

Maybe he's letting me do it just in case it explodes. It didn't matter because I wanted to test my theory anyway so I took out my phone to watch the time. It was currently 4:00 PM. I pressed the button. Nothing around us was moving, so it seemed like nothing was happening. But, when I looked at the clock, 1 whole minute would go by every few seconds. When it turned to 4:05 PM, it stopped and time went back to normal speed.

I looked over at Zachary. “Did you see that?” 

“See what?” 

“The clock. Time was moving faster than normal.” 

He cocked his eyebrows. “Are you sure? It seemed to be going at a normal pace to me.” 

“What are you talking about? The minute number changes every minute, not every second,” I said, trying to keep my voice from rising.

“I know that. That is common sense.” 

“Then why do you say what happened wasn’t weird?” 

“The only thing that is weird is that you sat here for 5 minutes straight, ignoring me.” 

“I haven’t been ignoring you for that long,” I yelled. “ It has been like 5 seconds since we sat down.” 

“Are you sure you’re ok? Did you hit your head or something?” 

“Here! You try it then.”  I threw the remote at him. “ I’m going home and you can tell me about your findings tomorrow.”

 I got up and left. I was a little pissed off that he didn’t believe me. I know that I probably wouldn’t have believed him had he told me the same thing but, still. I couldn’t care less at that point if I was being unfair or petty. Also, It was also a pretty good excuse not to hang out with him.

The author's comments:

This isn't the last chance. I will put the rest of the chapter later. 

The next day, I decided to take the bus to school instead of walking. I don’t like rushing to my homeroom each morning. Maybe I could even get breakfast this time. These thoughts immediately evaporated as soon as I got on the bus and saw Zachary right in front of me. I did a full 180 and got right back off the bus. 

“Wait Shiori! I wanted to tell you something.” 

Zachary had followed me off the bus. I kept walking, pretending not to hear him. Unfortunately, he was pretty fast on his feet. 

“I said wait. Are you ignoring me?” he said.

 I stopped in my tracks and stared at him. 

“No, I'm not. I just didn't hear you. That is all.” 

“If you say so. Anyway, I wanted to let you know that I'm sorry for not believing you. I tried out the remote while watching the clock and you were right!” 

At least he has the decency to admit when he’s wrong. “Yeah, I probably wouldn’t have believed me either.” Saying that seemed to put him at ease. I guess he was upset by the fact that I might be mad at him. Strange. 

“So, what are we gonna do bout this?” Zachary asked while fiddling with the remote. 

“I honestly have no idea. Maybe we should just get rid of it.” I thought that was a good call. “I dunno. I think we should keep it, just in case.” 

“Just in case what?” 

“I don’t know. Maybe a boring class?” 

Every single class is boring, dumb*ss, I thought to myself. I've dealt with those just fine so far. Trying to keep my annoyance inside, I replied, “There are too many of those. Plus, we don’t know its full capabilities. It could do something else besides fast forward time.” 

“Come on, have fun every once in a while! Live a little,” He exclaimed with a huge smile on his face. “What happened to ‘you only have one life, be careful,’” I mocked him. 

“Maybe I’m trying something new! So? What do you say we just try it?” 

I didn’t want to sound like a chicken but I didn’t think this was a good idea. In the end, I ended up agreeing “I guess. But I think it would be better if I held on to it.” 

“Wait, what? Why's that?” 

“Nobody besides you is around me all day and I never get in trouble. If I keep it hidden, it's less likely to be found. But you're always around people. Someone could see it, then they would ask questions an-” 

“K, k. I understand,” Zachary replied as he somberly handed over the remote. The only reason I wanted the remote was so he couldn’t use it. If he had the accessibility to use it whenever he wanted, he would for sure f*ck something up. 

    Also, I know I said I wouldn’t use it but, it was too tempting not to. Every single time Zachary and I were talking, I just kept pressing the button, speeding through the conversations. Lunch was now a Zachary-free zone. I would eat my lunch as fast as I could, then when I was finished, I would fast forward until lunch was over. It was so nice to have my old life back again. It took about three days for Zachary to notice. To be honest, I'm surprised he didn’t figure it out sooner. 

“Why do you keep using it? Didn’t you say it might be dangerous?” Zach looked pretty pissed for once.
    “Oh sorry. I meant it was dangerous for you to use it.” 

“That's not fair. I need it too.” 

“What could you possibly use it for?” Uh oh, I’m starting to get heated. I need to calm down before this gets out of hand. 

“That's none of your business. Now give it here!” Suddenly, Zachary reached for the remote in my hand. 

“Hey, cut it out!” I dodged his hand fast enough. 

“You can’t keep it! I was the one who found it. I was nice enough to inform you about it!” 

“I didn’t ask you to!” 

“I thought I could share it with you because I thought I could trust you!” 

“Well, who’s fault is that?! I actually never wanted to be your friend in the first pl-” 

Before I had a chance to finish my sentence, while Zachary was still trying to steal the remote from me, it slipped from my hands. It fell to the pavement with a crash. We both stood there, shell shocked by what happened. After a few seconds, I picked up my backpack and stormed home, leaving the partly damaged remote behind.

    I was so angry, I felt like I was about to burst into tears. Luckily, after a few deep breaths, I finally calmed down. It didn’t even matter to me that much whether the remote was broken or not. Just the fact that Zachary was the one to break it. It just infuriated me to no end but, I don't know why. I went to sleep wishing I could talk this over with my friend. The following day, I was contemplating whether or not to go to school. I wasn’t feeling that well anyway. But I already had an incident with being late to class, I didn’t want the teachers getting my parents involved. I solemnly walked to school, not wanting to see anyone. Of course, the world is a cruel place so the first person I see is Zachary, a spawn of the devil. 

“Shiori, I know you don’t want to talk to me today. I understand that, but please hear me out.” I kept walking like he wasn’t there. I wasn’t in the mood to speak to him. I might go off on him if I don’t just keep walking. 

“Shiori! At least let me give you something to make up for it.” 

“I'm over that,” I said. “I am just in a bad mood. Can’t you just give me some space?” 

He was pushing my buttons now. 

“Here! Take this.” 

He thrust something in my face. When my eyes focused on what it was, I was surprised. It was the remote and it looked good as new. 

“How did you do this?” I asked. 

“While I was in New York, my dad taught me some repair tips,” Zachary boasted. “This was the best I could do. I’ll let you get back to being alone now.'' After that, he gave me the remote and then walked into school.

    The whole school day, I had this mysterious feeling in my gut. Was this guilt? Did I feel bad for being mean to Zach? No, of course not. Why would I feel bad for him? He's the one who's been bugging me. He also was the one who broke the remote. It's all his fault. I kept reminding myself of that as I went to lunch. I finally had my lunch table to myself again. No Zach and none of his annoying friends. This was supposed to be a happy day. Then why did I feel so odd? I sat alone all through lunch, secretly regretting blowing up at Zach. School went by so slowly. I hated it. I probably could have used the remote but I felt like this was my punishment. If I used the remote, I would eventually get what's coming to me. I made my way home, staring at the remote while walking slower than usual. “Hey, you!” I looked up to see three boys about my age staring back at me. They all went to my school. Dustin, Jerry, and Todd. The typical, annoying, disrespectful hooligans. Always loud in class and are as dumb as bricks. They didn’t know me, but I knew them very well. Everyone did. I don’t have any idea why they are picking a fight with me. We are pretty neutral. 

“What do you have in your hands?” Jerry asked. 

“Oh, it's nothing. A t.v. remote I need to get fixed,” I lied. They wouldn’t believe me anyway if I told them the truth. I tried to keep walking past them, but they were blocking my way. Then the tallest boy, Dustin, walked up to me. We stared each other in the eyes. 

“I heard from someone that it is a special remote. That it fast-forwards time or something?” 

How would they know that? The only person who knows, other than me, is Zachary. He wouldn’t tell people, would he? As I was deep in thought, one of the other boys, Todd, came up behind me and snatched it out of my hand. I’m so dumb for having it out. I should have just thrown it away when I had the chance. I tried to get it back but it was three versus one. They just kept tossing it around like it was keep away. I felt so foolish, I should stop trying to get it back. I didn’t care, did I? When I was about to give up and let them have it, I saw a shadow creeping behind the boy who had it. As quick as the wind, the shadow took the remote and bolted towards me. It was Zach. Zach took a hold of my hand. The three boys were now chasing us. “Are you ok?” he said like he was the hero in all of this. “I’m fine, but why would you tell people about the remote? You idiot!” 

“I don't know, I just kinda let it slip. People make mistakes, ya know?” 

“Yeah. Whatever. So how are we going to get out of this mess?” I looked behind us. The three boys were still chasing us. 

“I’m gonna do something crazy.”

 “Huh?”

 “Are you ready?” 

“For what?” In the next second, Zach pulled out the remote.

”Wait, Zach, don’t press it!” 

He didn’t hear me in time. He pushed the button, then suddenly... everything went black.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.