Destruction of the Gods | Teen Ink

Destruction of the Gods

October 13, 2021
By JWyattS, Lexington, South Carolina
More by this author
JWyattS, Lexington, South Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

I am really into Greek Mythology, so I decided to do some research about the Greek Gods. I found Enyo the goddess of War, I already knew about Deimos and Phobos the Gods of fear and terror. I then made my own character, Garis, and wrote the story.


“Thump. Thump. Thump.” The sound of logs splitting and hitting the ground echo through the forest. Garis places down his ax and gathers some wood. Now living in the wild by himself. His head pulled back in a ponytail with his beard neatly combed, two matching braids on each side. He still wears his armor because of being in the Great War, a war that almost ended the human race as they know it. Suddenly he can feel someone watching him. Trying to talk but not finding the words; he knows who it is as soon as he turns around.

The God Enyo steps from behind the tree where she was hiding. In her flowy light blue toga, she wore gold jewelry, and her long blonde hair pulled into a tight bun with a golden hairpiece. 

“Never again Enyo, I am no longer your slave,” He says before giving her a chance.

 “Garis, you're the only person capable of stopping Deimos and Phobos.”

“I swore to never again be your slave nor your weapon. I lost my family because of you and the other Gods.”

“You think the Gods are the reason? You lost your family because of your actions, or did you forget that?”

________________________________________________

Olympia, the wife of Garis and mother of Osiris, shines in a beautiful green dress with a blue hairpiece, as she readies their plates with the food she just finished preparing.

“Garis, Osiris,  dinner is ready.” 

“Coming mother,” says Osiris, their son with his long brown hair and ragged clothes, as he darts up the hill to the house.

“How was hunting with your father?”

“Great, we caught two huge fish. Dad said next time I can bait my line all by myself.” Osiris exclaims as he scarfs the rest of his food down.

“Garis, how was the-”

“GARIS ADAMOS.” A voice beckons from outside.

Garis rushes through the entryway to see what's going on.

“Garis Adamos, you have crossed me for the last time. You shall now be punished for your crimes against the almighty Gods of Mount Olympus,” the mysterious voice demands.

“What are you talking about?” Garis asks as he suddenly recognizes the booming voice.

“Enyo please don’t,” Garis begs as he turns around to see his house with his family inside suddenly burst into flames.

“You have done this to yourself, Garis. Never cross a God.”

The house is engulfed in flames and crumbles instantly. Garis rushes inside but is blinded by the smoke as he tries to find his wife and son. 

“Olympia! Osiris!” 

Garis searches until the house is completely gone. His lungs become scarred from the amount of smoke inhalation and his forearms burnt.

“ENYO! Why have you done this?” Garis cries as he falls to his knees.

“You violated our agreement! When you became my champion you swore to come to my need whenever I asked. You failed to hold up your end. I can never forgive you for that.” 

“My wife was pregnant and my son was barely 10. You could have taken me. Why couldn’t you have taken me instead.?” 

“ Do you not remember how you made me watch as my daughter was in danger and yet you did nothing. You shall never forget your place again.” Enyo’s voice then dissipates.

“NOOO!” Garis screams, weeping for the loss of his wife, son, and their unborn child.

________________________________________________

“I had to watch my family die, for 5 years I’ve suffered. I will not just forgive you because of some impending doom. Let them destroy this world, I would rather die than ever help you again.”

“Garis, do this one thing for me and I will bring back your family,” Enyo says.

“We both know you don’t have the power to do that. You're the God of Destruction not the God of life and death.” Garis remarks.

“You have no idea how much power I truly have, Garis. Now I demand you to stop Deimos and Phobos. They are truly wicked, powerful, and will do whatever it takes to make this world theirs.”

“A quick death is a good death and I would rather die than help you, you deceitful demon,” Garis says through gnashed teeth.

“Go to Hephaestus, God of fire and blacksmith to the Gods, who created the Arrows of Fire that will defeat them. Go to him and tell him who sent you. He should give you them without question.” She turns to leave.  

“Please, this world still has some good in it and I know you do too.” She quietly says as she leaves.

Garis ponders the sake of the world. He truly must be the only solution if Enyo is asking for him to help save it. He goes behind his house, grabs his shovel and he digs up his old blades and armor. The matching twin blades glisten as he wipes the dust and dirt off.

Once again I am forced to use these for Gods that have never done any good for me. I will get my family back. Whatever it takes. Garis puts on his gear and sharpens his weapons.

The sun rises slowly as Garis sets off for Mount Olympus. It would normally take a few days by horse. Garis, not owning one, is forced to walk. He finally arrived after 5 days of travel. But when he does, he notices the normally sunny mountain is dark and stormy. 

“Must be the works of Deimos and Phobos” he says to himself quietly. Now I have to just get in.

He spots the God Hephaestus nearby.  “Hephaestus!” He hollers.

“Hmmh?” Hephaestus turns to see Garis at the gates.

“What does a puny human like you want with the all mighty Gods of Mount Olympus?”

“Enyo sent me to retrieve the Arrows of Fire from you. I am the world's only hope against Deimos and Phobos.” 

“Oh well, you should have just started with that, let me open these right up.” He starts “Actually no I won’t.” 

Garis is physically confused by this.

“Wait, what, why not?” 

“ Even if you're telling the truth I won’t believe you till you bring me the fang of a dire wolf.” 

“And where do you suppose I get that?” Garis asks.

“I don’t know and I don’t care. Just bring me the fang and the arrows are yours.” 

“Fine, I’ll be back in a few days” Garis turns and leaves.

________________________________________________________________________

Garis searches the forest until sunrise for even the slightest track or evidence that dire wolves are nearby. Yet he finds nothing until the next day when he stumbles upon a small pond where a couple of dire wolves are drinking.

“Finally.” Garis remarks as he readies his arrow.

“Awoo.'' The dire wolf howls as Garis’s arrow pierces the skin, and into its heart.

Garis approaches the corpse and rips out all four fangs. He quickly makes his way back to Mount Olympus. When he arrives Hephaestus is at the gate awaiting his arrival.

“Here,” Garis hands him the fangs.

“Woah, someone’s feisty,” the God remarks as he hands Garis a bag.

“In there are ten Arrows of Fire, along with a specially made bow that works only with them. I made it myself so the arrows wouldn’t burn it.” Hephaestus smiles proudly at his work.

“I shall bring peace back to this world,” Garis heads off to find Deimos and Phobos.

He passes through many small towns and villages. He stops every few days, waking before sunrise to leave. He stops near a small pond that glistened in the pale moonlight. He spends the night and once again leaves before sunrise.

________________________________________________________________________

“But we could rule the world together.”

“Yes but that isn’t the plan.”

“Deimos, Phobos.” A voice beckons as the body to which it belongs enters the room.

“Yes, my queen.” Both Deimos and Phobos reply as they bow to her.

“You are serving me well. Soon this whole world will fear the wrath of all of us.” Enyo signals them to get off their knees. 

“So what do we need to do next?” 

Phobos and Deimos wield their weapons in hand. Deimos with his great ax and reddish-gold armor. Phobos with his longsword and blue armor. 

“We shall see what Garis does and goes from there.”

“Do you think he will find out that this is all your idea and we are just helping?”

“He is too stubborn to even realize that he is at fault for his family's death.”

Enyo turns and leaves. Deimos and Phobos start to argue over who gets to rule over each village. They start to physically disagree until they get into a huge fight that ends with them both unconscious.

The author's comments:

I personally don't like the ending but I have had tons of people read this and say that the ending is better this way than the ending I originally had.

Garis wakes to the sound of birds chirping.

“Soon I shall see you once more my love.”

He stares at the pond as he plans out his next route. He decides to travel through the city of Athens as it will lead him to the gate to the underworld.

________________________________________________________________________

Garis nears the gate as he hears a storm brewing. He makes his way to the closest tavern, as heavy rain sets in. 

“How much for a plate and a drink?” 

“10 euro.” The waiter quietly says.

Garis hands him the money

Garis sits at a small table and sets his blades on the ground. His shield is attached to his back with a clip. 

“Here you are.” The waiter sits the plate of food and a giant mug of ale on the table.

“Thanks.” Garis hands him some money and eats his food.

Garis finishes his food and pays more money to get a room above the bar. He sleeps in till mid-afternoon and leaves shortly thereafter. He makes his way to the gates by nightfall.

“Deimos! Phobos!” His voice echoes through the gates into the blocked tunnel.

“Who dares disturb the mighty Gods of Terror and Fear?” 

The Gods appear at the gates, drawing their weapons, with a few soldiers behind them. Garis doesn’t even flinch.

“I have come to stop you.” Garis draws his bow and the Arrows of Fire. He readies an arrow at Deimos’ head.

“You dare defy us mortal? Do you not understand that you cannot kill us? We are immortal.” Phobos starts to open the gate to release the soldiers.

“No I can’t, but Hephaestus designed these arrows to kill you.”

“Hah, you think just because some he made them that they can kill us?”

“No, I doubt they will, but I’ve killed Gods before and I’m sure you know that. Aphrodite was the first but will not be the last” 

______________________________________________________________________________

Garis enters Mount Olympus and heads to Aphrodite’s room. He quietly sneaks into the room through a cracked window. He pulls out a poisonous blow-dart. He sets his aim and fires. He strikes Aphrodite’s neck and she falls to the ground, dead. Garis leaves and by the time he is at the gates of Mount Olympus, he can hear the screams and panic of the Gods. He leaves without ever being seen, heard, or known of.

______________________________________________________________________________

Garis changes his aim then releases and the arrow pierces right through Deimos’s shoulder. He readies another arrow and pierces Phobos through the upper thigh.

“ARGH, you puny insignificant human. You shall pay dearly for this.” 

The Gods scream in anger as they both pull out the arrows. Garis unravels his blades to reveal his twin blades, The Blades Of Destruction. Two very powerful blades, that although their size is less fear-inducing, are extremely heavy and take tons of strength to even lift. Garis wields them with ease and prepares to end the life of two more Gods. He goes in for the kill and as he’s in the air Phobos smacks him away like a fly. 

“Human. You have defied the Gods and shall now pay with your life. You will be the first of many killed by the mighty Gods Of Fear and Terror, Phobos, and my brother Deimos.”

Phobos unsheathes his sword and slashes at Garis. He barely misses as Deimos’ great axe comes crashing down with the sound of thunderclaps. His axe was only stopped by both of the Blades Of Destruction.

“How is that possible? My axe is indestructible. We are Gods, no human can do this.”

Deimos goes to slash again at Deimos as he tries to heal his wounded arm. Phobos, barely standing up himself, goes for another attack. Garis being human-sized can barely move around the giants they are, and not be in their field of view. The Gods could shrink to his size but why give him an advantage.

“We will kill you, puny human.”

The Gods, mostly healed, both go for an attack as they are struck down by arrows that come out of nowhere. They fall dead. Garis turns around, confused to see their true leader.

“Garis, you did well, too bad you couldn’t figure out my true intentions.”

Enyo slowly descends down to Garis. 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.