Where the Prisoners Go | Teen Ink

Where the Prisoners Go

By GeorgiaCollins29, Sedro Woolley, Washington
GeorgiaCollins29, Sedro Woolley, Washington

They can’t find me. Her bare feet tapped against the metal floor as the hallways rushed by her. Her eyes scanned all of the nooks and crannies for a hiding spot, a spot that could conceal her large wings.

“There!” she said under her breath, “Found it.” Tucked along an adjacent hallway was a storage closet. With the war, there was no way they would look in their own closet for an enemy. 

The door automatically slid open as she approached it. The closet was large enough to fit about a dozen people. Glancing around the room at all of the metal crates on the floor, she spotted some uniforms hanging up in the back and squeezed herself in between them and the wall. From her hiding spot, she dragged over a nearby crate to further conceal her. 

Time to play the waiting game. 

She tried to breathe as steadily as she could to calm her racing heart and stay quiet. In the darkness she sat, curled up in her feathers. Sitting defenseless in the enemy’s base of operations turned her stomach, but it couldn’t compare to when she heard the door slide open with a whoosh and a sterile blue-tinted light cut through the darkness. 

Squinting her eyes shut, she tucked her wings as close to her body as possible. She listened intently to the footsteps that clanged against the floor. They were gentle, but heavy, indicating their producer was someone of a rather large stature who carried a sense of poise and calmness. 

She probably couldn’t take this person on in hand-to-hand combat, but there was the element of surprise. What if this person still doesn’t know I’m here though? By attacking them, I could alert others to my position. 

The footsteps stopped in front of her crate. Her heart dropped to her feet. She was going to end up like the rest of her people, buried in the ground, never to be heard from again. 

The large crate in front of her slid over, and she took her last breath of freedom. The uniforms were pushed aside to expose her, the light illuminating her ginger hair and white wings like a beacon. 

The man that had done this was without surprise on his face. He smiled, his teeth contrasting with his skin. To the girl’s surprise, the smile was without malice. It was one of relief instead. 

“Hey,” he whispered, “I can help you.” The girl glanced up at him from her hiding spot, eyes wide.  

“How did you find me?” she snapped. 

“Shhhh,” He hushed, with a finger over his lips. “Come with me.” He held out a dark, warm hand. 

“How can I trust you?” She asked. 

“You don’t have a choice.” He said, a little more stern. She took his hand and he helped her stand. “We must act quickly, they can’t know I’m helping you or we’d both end up dead.” He pulled out two metal bracelets from his coat and clamped one on each of her wrists. 

“Hey!” She jerked her hands back. 

“It’s alright, this is only an act, just in case someone sees us,” he soothed. 

She nodded at him and he unclipped a thin, rectangular device from his belt. A blue light appeared on the bracelets and the device. He used it to tap both bracelets and they started to hum. She attempted to move her hands apart more than a foot, but they stopped, restrained by some invisible energy. 

She then observed his clean and orderly uniform. Ringing around his sleeve, four stripes glowed dimly. She wondered about his rank, and if the stripes had anything to do with it. What caught her attention, however, was a small metal plate sewn into his clothing, situated upon his breast. 

“Edevane?” She inquired. 

His eyes grew distant for just a second, long enough for her to notice, and then he replied in an even tone, “Yes, that is my name.” 

The girl tilted her head, “How unusual, my people have simple names.”

Edevane smirked, “What are you called, then?” 

“Wren,” She said, as a matter of fact. 

“Alright Wren, let’s go.” He took her arm and guided her out of the closet. When the door slid shut, his stance grew rigid and his face blank, like a soldier. They walked briskly down the halls and saw no others except for an occasional reflection of themselves in the polished walls. 

Wren had to get a double-take on her reflection, just to be sure it was her. Her face was thin and dark circles marked under her eyes. Freckles that would have been there after sun exposure were absent, as her face was now pale and white. The cream-colored dress that wrapped around her hung loose about her shoulders. A great sorrow built up in her as she remembered a time when she was healthy and happy in her kingdom. 

“Come on.” He spoke and ushered her to move forward. 

They hurriedly walked through more metal hallways that Wren had found seemingly identical until when they turned a corner, a large quantity of unnatural light flooded the passage.

She found that the source of the light was through large windows on the right, displaying a vast landscape of trees and plains. The area was bowl-shaped with trees around the edges, which forced them to grow horizontally to the ground. The windows were placed near the rim, giving an overhead view of the place. The white light that encompassed the landscape and filled the hall was exceedingly strange since there was no source. No sun rose above the thick trees or seemed to be obscured by them. 

She made her observations on the move when a staircase greeted them at the end of the hallway, which led down to a train station. Of course, this train was hovering, with only a thin metal rail about the width of her arm to guide it. It was sleek and efficient. Wren could never get used to these people, they always seemed strange and lacked heart, though her helper seemed to have enough compassion to assist an enemy.  

Edevane manually unlatched the train door from the outside and opened it. Wren stepped into the train and he followed. 

“I thought everything you had was all fancy and automatic,” she remarked. 

Dropping his soldier facade, he smirked, “Well, we can’t have people jumping off the train while it's moving now can we?” 

“I guess not.” She was not unaffected by the threatening tone to his voice, but he had proven trustworthy thus far. 

“Make sure to hold on.” He gestured to the overhead hand grips with his head. She was forced to put both hands on one, as hers were still bound together. Edevane latched the door from the inside and typed a sequence of numbers into a keypad, each button lighting up when he did so. He then took his spot next to her, holding on to the handles. 

The handles then clamped onto their hands, forcing them to stay on. The train lurched and they slowly started moving. It wasn’t slow for long, however, as it kept increasing speed. There were no windows, so all Wren had to gauge the speed was how hard it was to stay upright. 

She gave her situation more thought. She had just given her full trust to this stranger, this soldier who would be better off turning her in than granting her asylum. She anxiously shifted weight from one foot to the other and pulled her wings in closer to her body. Maybe this wasn’t a good idea. 

“Hey, it’s okay.” Wren glanced back up at Edevane. In his eyes, lay a softness that she couldn’t describe. It was a look unlike anything her mother, father, or siblings had shown her before. Her breathing slowed and smooth tranquility passed over her. She nodded, and relaxed her wings, letting them rest on the floor like a cape. 

She found it becoming easier to stand as the humming of the train grew quiet. The keypad beeped. 

“Alright, let’s get going,” Edevane said as the hand grips loosened. He unlatched the door again and a pale, white light flooded the cab. As her eyes adjusted, she began to see green, and lots of it.

Edevane hopped out and held out his hand. Wren took it, and he helped her down. Once they were safely on the ground, he took out the same small device and tapped on restraints. They unclipped and fell off. 

The grass felt warm and soft on her feet and the trees towered over her head. 

“What is this place, where did you take me?” She asked. 

“A place where no one will find you.” Despite the ominous tones of his voice, she was still reassured that this was a place she could really get away from the war and survive. 

They walked through the forest and stopped when they came to a square, flat stone. “What are we doing here?” Wren asked, still not satisfied with her knowledge of the events that were taking place. Edevane took a deep breath and turned to face her. 

“I can help… preserve you here for as long as this conflict continues. It will be like slumber, and I’ll come back for you to get you out of it again.” She just stared back up at him, searching his face for any signs of malice or deception. He returned the look only with softness and understanding. “It’s the only way I know you will be safe, they’ll never find you here.” She made her decision and stepped up onto the stone, knowing the type of magic he was suggesting, but perplexed as to how he was capable of it. 

“I’ll come back for you, I promise.” He took her hand and kissed it, before whispering a few words under his breath. Where his hand touched hers, her skin hardened and turned grey. Spreading up her arm, the grey stone froze her hand, ridding her of all mobility. 

“Thank you,” she said softly, watching as the smooth rock expanded across her other arm. Once her wings hardened and her eyes glossed over, she was completely encompassed by the stone. Her head was bowed and the loose dress that had looked tattered and unkempt before, now looked elegant as it appeared to be blowing in the wind. Her great wings majestically framed her and caused an uncanny likeness to a graveyard angel.  

Dread welled up inside of him. When will she be able to wake again?

Edevane untangled his hand from hers and stepped back, glancing around for any witnesses. He instead found a peculiar white flower that seemed to glow in the sun. He plucked it from the ground and placed it in her outstretched hand, blinking away the wetness in his eyes. “Sweet dreams, princess.”

“I didn’t do it! It wasn’t me!” They grabbed his arms, one guard on each side, and dragged him away from the sidewalk, his heels digging into the ground. “I didn’t do it! I’m not one of them!” the man yelled again. The guards covered his mouth with a rag, and he went limp. They threw him into the back of the transport. It was a small, streamlined vehicle with no wheels. I found myself averting my gaze when it raised off of the ground and flew up into the sky. 

Arrests like this had become common. More and more people had been whisked away right before my eyes on the same path every morning and afternoon. I found it easier to ignore as weeks passed. 

The mind-numbing routine I had acquired was not of my own accord. Traversing through the heart of the city was far from my ideal day out. The buildings we had inhabited must have been ornate and beautiful in their prime but were now cracked and ruined, all plant life overcome by technology. The towering pillared halls were used for manufacturing and offices. Street lamps illuminated them in a crisp, white light, accentuating cracks and the maltreatment of carved stone in the dim morning. 

However, I still found beauty in the clean and organized mannerisms of my people. The efficiency of our way of life gave me comfort and there was a certain dependability I found in the unwavering cycle of my current existence. 

I closed my eyes, letting my feet tread the familiar path, and paid attention to the feeling of the cool air on my face and the hum of the lights. Even without my vision, I could almost see the people and the objects around me,  just without the distractions of colors. 

I opened my eyes again when I felt that my morning commute was coming to a close. After typing my code into the keypad of my office building, a little light shined on my jacket and scanned my ID, which had been embedded in my clothes for “security reasons”. The door slid open. I took the lift to the sixth floor, the keypad alerted me when I reached my destination. 

There were a few more empty chairs in the broadcasting system department, a department I had worked closely with my whole career. A shiver rolled down my spine and it felt like something gripped my throat when I recalled the man getting dragged away this morning. 

I scanned the room carefully, eagerly searching the people that walked to and fro from offices and desks. The hushed sound of business chatter blended together and I could not pick out any singular voices. I then spotted the long length of mousy brown hair and the fist in my throat unclenched. She was okay. I approached her as calmly as I possibly could.

“Everleigh,” I called out. She turned towards me. 

“Marcellus?”

“Yes, who else?” I smiled. 

“Oh, I just wasn't expecting you to be in today, with your new house and all.”

I just shrugged, “Yeah, I know it needs repairs, but I couldn’t risk not coming, you know how Mr. Ives gets with me.”

“Where did you stay then?”  

“Oh, just where I usually do.” 

She sighed and closed her eyes for a moment before reopening them. “Marc, you can’t do that. You need a proper roof over your head,” she whispered and looked at me directly with her green eyes.

Eager to escape the conversation now, I hurriedly said, “Well, I must get working now, I’ve got tons to do.” Before I could turn away, she caught my arm. 

“Promise me you won’t stay in that tent-of-a-house tonight?” I couldn’t meet her eye. “Marc.” She said sternly. 

“Fine, I won’t.”

“Thank you.” She said, and let go of my arm. 

Before I could be seated in my own space, a light around my ID lit up. I sighed and placed my briefcase on my transparent desk before hurriedly walking back to the lift and typing in the keycode for floor fifteen. I was left there alone to contemplate what my superior had in store for me. 

I hesitated at his door for a moment and then knocked. 

“Enter,” responded a gruff voice. 

The man that greeted me sat behind a large black desk. It was very archaic and I felt that he kept it only for the intimidation factor. I deemed it unnecessary, however, as his familiar, penetrating dark eyes alone could cut right through me. 

“Marcellus,” he sneered.

“Mr. Ives,” I responded, trying to conceal my anxiety with an unemotional coolness. With no regard for small talk, he started straight away. 

“Mr. Abernathy, as you know, has been apprehended by the authorities.”

I remained silent, but the shock resonated throughout my body. Mr. Abernathy? Really? I certainly did not know of this most recent occurrence. What had he done to deserve this mistreatment? I saw the man in my mind’s eye. He was long-limbed, steadfast and efficient in his work, and a companion to Mr. Ives. Well... as close to a companion as someone could be to the cold and calculated man that sat before me. My superior continued with little regard for a response, 

“It has been a great loss to the company and he has left a lofty position to be filled. I am sure you are aware that he had overseen all matters in the Communications Department and I had worked with him for more years than you have been alive.” He paused for a moment and seemed to be undecided on his next words. It was an uncommon occurrence that set a knot in my stomach. 

”I regret having to do this, but given your experience, I must promote you to head of the International Communication Systems department.” 

I gave him a curt nod immediately, “Thank you, sir.” My exterior reactions were mechanical and precise in his presence, though I had not always felt composed. 

A promotion?! I tried not to let an expression of shock reach my face. Why would he want me? There were plenty of other workers with more years at the company, I definitely did not have enough time here to warrant a commanding job like Mr. Abernathy’s.

“Now,” he started, squinting his eyes, “I’ll be watching you closely, keeping an eye out for your foolish mistakes and carelessness, which are practically guaranteed.” 

I huffed, loosening my rigid stance, “I will try my very best, sir, to meet your standards.” 

He leaned forward in his seat and placed his forearms on the desk. “I know where you came from and I know what you are capable of, now run along.” 

“Where I came from?” I scoffed. You’d have to be blind to miss the resemblance between me and the other man in the room. We both displayed the same honey skin and raven hair, though his was flecked with age. I returned to my calm, clear tone, “I should hope you’d know the origins of your own kin, even if he is one you seem so eager to forget,” I then turned and hurriedly left his office, not wanting to hear any more of what he had to say or see the expression on his face. 

The confrontation irked me to the core. I’d never stood up to my father like that before. Drawing in one ragged breath after another, I leaned against the elevator wall, hoping that my dispute hadn’t lost me my new promotion. I never wanted a position like this, but if I didn’t live up to Mr. Ives’ expectations, I’d be removed from the company entirely and would be disgraced in society. I thought of the home I had just obtained and my longing to see it again grew as the sterile elevator lights seemed to become more heartless than the last time I had occupied the space. I could easily be removed from my home if I was jobless and would be forced to permanently dwell in the ramshackle structure I stayed in last night. 

The keypad dinged and I started from my thoughts. The doors ominously slid open and hurrying back out to my office space, I sat in the chair and placed my elbows on the transparent desk, gripping the roots of my short hair. 

What have I done? “Surely he can’t be too angry,” I pondered until a repressed memory was pulled from my childhood. My father loomed above me. Staring down, his gaze cut me like a knife. How disappointing I was to him at that moment, along with many more like it, but I could never forget when he yelled. The reason this memory stuck more so than others was that he seemed to be yelling at someone else. “Liya!” He bellowed, “Why did you do this to me!”

I could never underestimate the power of my father’s anger. 

Sighing, I released my hair and leaned back. I moved on from my sorry train of thought by picking up some documents that were placed in front of me by the head secretary, a quiet woman with angular features and a crooked nose. I thanked her and began mindlessly flipping through the papers, finding records of business transactions we had made in the past month. I had always thought that my father’s way of storing data was inept. He insisted on all important documents being printed on paper. Maybe for security? I didn’t know. 

I paid close attention to where the broadcasting technology was being sent, and if I’d recognized any of the cities that needed extra help with connections. We’d always sent some technology to the middle of the South Sea as well to test its range, though I’d wondered why the equipment had never returned. However, my inquiries had been interrupted. 

The head secretary returned and I acknowledged her, “Hello again Mrs. Ackley.” 

“Mr. Ives, your new office is already prepared. You’ll find it at the end of the hall.” 

“Thank you,” I responded, even though I was well acquainted with every office and window on this floor. It seems like Mr. Ives kept his word despite my outburst. 

After a long day of moving files and arranging the room, I found that the sun was setting and decided to head off. My encounter with Everleigh played in my head from earlier. “Promise?” She had said, and I did promise her to go home, but I had a keenness to go back anyway. 

I met no one on my descent to the ground floor and on my journey out of the lobby; into the heart of the city. The sky was no less dim than when I set out in the morning, but there was a nice, orange hu3e`4e5rte from the setting sun that made the walk more bearable. 

As I came nearer to the outskirts of the city, more plant life had crept its way into the architecture. Moss grew in cracks of cement and wildflowers lined the seams in between the road and the walkway. Water could flow more freely in this area, it fell down gutters and trickled down man-made slopes, regardless of how often it rained. The people in this part were not as condensed as in the center of the city, though most of the buildings there were occupational.

My walk was long, but the orange tint had hardly faded from the sky before I turned the last corner onto a path made of flat, smooth stones, shaded from the large-leafed trees that stretched towards the clouds. 

Eagerly awaiting the sight of my destination, I reacquainted myself with the old structure in my mind. Parts of the roof were caved in. In the spring, vines snaked up the shingles and entered through the smashed windows. The house was tucked away in a little grove, where the willows shadowed the unkept lawn and where the wildflowers bloomed in the tall grass and by the gurgling stream. The wind whispered while it waved the trees and the sunshine showed in small segments along the meadow floor. 

My pace quickened when I saw the outskirts of the grove, brown siding from the ruined house peeking through the trees. Approaching the porch, I ran my hands along the greenery on either side of the path and then over the finely detailed porch columns. I had studied the inscriptions that covered them many times before, but had never come to understand them, as they were from a people long gone.

“I’m home,” I murmured. There was never a place that suited me as this one did. Even though it had been worn by time, it was a beautiful place to behold, quite the spectacle of archaic architecture. 

The house was dark inside, until I lit a match, illuminating candelabras on tables and secured to walls. I lit them one by one, filling the passages with a happy glow that uncovered swirls and figures etched into the wood detailing. The hallways split off into many rooms, like webbing. On the left was a nicely sized drawing room with a piano that was somehow still intact, but in need of a good tuning. On the right were stairs with a wooden banister. Further down the hall was the dining room and a kitchen which contained a great stone furnace that had several stones knocked loose. 

I retired to the drawing-room and grabbed one of the old books off the shelves of a bookcase built into the wall. Seating myself in a green cushioned chair, I flipped through it, trying to make sense of the odd letters that were delicately sprawled across the pages.

It was in this house that I could truly escape from the city and let my mind unwind and fantasize about a forgotten culture. 

I hadn’t realized I’d been dozing off until a cold breeze swept through the windows and extinguished the candles. Alright, I whispered, I better be off to bed, and then ascended the stairs to my bedroom. 

Because most of the windows were without glass, I felt the crisp morning air on my face when I awoke. 

My commute was uneventful until my company’s apartment was in view. I heard the subtle hum of a transport nearby. It got louder and louder while I glanced around at the surrounding people, of which there were few. My eyes darted from one person to the next, but the transport was not landing by any of them. It wasn’t before a shadow was cast over me by the looming vehicle that my situation started to sink in. 

“No, it can’t be! I haven’t done anything!” I thought, “Maybe if I don’t look at it it won’t come for me.” My interior exclamations reminded me of the others that had been taken, I was just like them. My heart pounded heavily in my ears and my mind raced through the past weeks. “What if I had done something?” I didn’t have to think much longer before the white vehicle landed in front of me and masked guards emerged. I kept my lips sealed, determined to not make a scene. 

“You’re under arrest,” said a voice, garbled by its mask. Bowing my head, I refrained from asking why, knowing that it was futile. They seized my arms and practically dragged me to the transport. I knew what was coming before they did it. A rag was brought up to my mouth and nose, cutting off all my air and filling my nose with a strange scent. I’d seen it so many times before, but I would never have thought of the sheer panic that would boil up inside or the feeling of a complete inability to do anything. 

My vision grew dark around the edges and I lost feeling in my limbs before I was lifted into the dark cabin. 

~

Finally regaining consciousness, I found myself laying on my back. Bright white light penetrated through my closed eyelids, making me unwilling to open them until I gained enough feeling in my arms and legs to understand the material I had been lain on. It was … grass. Not a cold, hard, prison floor, but plush, soft grass. I rubbed my hands around in it to gain a little more awareness and then pushed myself up to a sitting position before opening my eyes.

The light flooded my vision and stung my eyes. I winced and quickly snapped them shut. “Ow.” I pressed the bridge of my nose with two fingers, trying to alleviate the pain. “Why was the light so bright?”I wondered, “I’m not inside, that’s for sure, and I’ve never seen anything like this in nature. An idea crept its way into my thoughts which caused panic to well up in my chest and grip my throat.  

“Am I …dead?”

Were the transports used just as a ruse for citizens? No one has ever been seen again after they were taken. Were they killed then and there, in those large streamlined vehicles? It was the only explanation I could think of for the eerie, unnatural light all around me, drastic as it may be. 

Taking a deep breath, the hypothesis that bounced around in my head began to steady. “You don’t know anything just yet and you’re not going to find out answers if you just sit here,” I told myself before reopening my eyes. Blinking a few times through the stinging, I began to see outlines. They were thin, tall shapes in great abundance all collected together. The longer I looked the clearer they became. Green was now showing in my vision. Green was everywhere. It was in the grass, in what I now discovered were trees, and even in parts of the horizon. 

“Wow,” I muttered. Has there been anything so beautiful? This would be my kind of heaven. I retracted my statement almost immediately. Maybe not, I could do without this light. Standing now, I made my way to the forest. I was eager to find some shade, but only to cool the stinging in my eyes. Although incredibly bright, the light that engulfed everything was neither hot nor even warm.

The large-leafed trees thankfully provided instant relief from the light and a better understanding of my surroundings. The place that I had woken up in was a vast field. I had only been on the outskirts of it. The grass got taller as the field went on, at some points probably taller than me. 

The green that I saw in the distance, where the field met the sky, perplexed me. It was like a line of trees, but too dense, like mountains, but too uniform and straight. I turned from the distant mystery line and towards the heart of the forest.

The bright light that illuminated the sky cut through the gaps in the trees’ foliage, creating unique patterns strewn across the floor. Deciding I was doing no good by just standing around, I began to wander. The broad trees felt uniform and equally spread out along the outskirts, but as I crept closer to the interior, I could tell something was different. The light further in had an unsettling feel to it. It was not as painful as the brightness I had been first met with, but instead, it created dark shadows with the excess amount of illumination. The strangeness of this place had kept my thoughts quiet. I was in too much awe to really think about my next actions. Neither food nor shelter bothered me, only the seemingly never-ending plant life I traversed through had any impact on my thoughts.

Not too far into my walk, I had seen a small break in the trees and something, in particular, caught my eye. I rushed up to the clearing, eager for it to be some sort of sign of civilization. I furrowed my brow when what was laying before me turned out to be a statue. She was an angel made of stone, snapped from her perch at the ankles.

“Great, maybe I am dead! There are even angels here.” I said to myself before examining the statue further. She laid on the ground in a bed of moss, entangled in vines. Her outstretched hand seemed to be pleading for help. I instinctively touched it, even though there was nothing I could have done to help this pitiful sculpture.  

To my dismay, where my hand had touched hers an inky blackness had started to spread across her fingertips. “What the-,” I started, and flinched back, wanting to avert my eyes as the grotesque ink rapidly spread across her great wings and placid face.

I was helpless, I couldn't do anything to stop it.                           

Once she was fully encompassed, the substance slowly dripped down her arm, away from her hand, like ice melting from a lamppost. The liquid ran off her hand, uncovering pale skin. I stumbled further backward, trying to come up with an explanation. It has been a long day, maybe I’m seeing things? Glancing back at the previously ink-covered statue, the skin of its forearm had been uncovered. My breathing quickened. “What the heck?!” 

I gathered enough courage to touch it, to make sure that this wasn’t a figment of my imagination. I only felt soft skin beneath my rough, calloused fingers. My rigid shoulders relaxed and I watched closely as her arm went limp to her side when the ink fell away. Could I create beings out of stone? 

Soft ginger hair and white wings were slowly revealed. Her chest heaved when the ink faded, taking in draughts of air as she adjusted to her surroundings. After the ink rolled from her eyes she shut them immediately, much as I did. I couldn’t blame her, it took a while for me to get adjusted as well. 

I decided to calm her, “Hello.” I said softly. 

“Edevane?” She gasped, “Are you there?” 

“That’s an odd greeting,” I thought, and decided to humor her with a response, “I don’t know who you speak of. I am Marcellus.” 

“Where is he?” She attempted to get up but fell back down as the vines tugged on her limbs. She opened her eyes again, but closed them quickly, making a sharp cry of pain, “It’s so bright, I can’t see!” 

“I know.” I knelt next to her and placed my hand on her shoulder. “It’s okay, we’ll figure this out, you can trust me.” I detangled her from the vines and sat her up. 

“I-I can’t feel my feet!” She cried.  I cringed, recalling how she had fallen from her pedestal. Her feet were absent and her legs rounded off at about the ankle. 

“You broke off your perch.” I didn’t know how else to phrase it, but she seemed to understand. She just nodded and remained quiet, perhaps trying to process the information. “What is your name?” I asked, attempting to align her thoughts. 

“Wren,” she responded. She squinted her closed eyes and tilted her head, breathing at the same rapid rate. 

Questions itched at the back of my throat. I had to know the answers. Maybe it’d help me discover what was going on with these strange things that were happening to me. “How did you get here?” I asked. She did not respond immediately so I waited patiently, willing her to feel at ease rather than rushed. 

“Edevane, the man I spoke of, helped me. I believe he was a half-breed. He froze me here until it would be safe to get me out again.” 

“Half breed?” I exclaimed. The question that I was so quick to ask was not the only one jostled by her strange answer. He froze her? How? 

“Yes, half of my kind, the Generis, and half of yours. They possess magic, but don’t have any outward appearance of it.” She hesitated for a moment before continuing,  “Somehow you were able to release me.”

It was my turn to sit in silence. Points started connecting in my head. She was a Generis? The people I had read about? The people everybody had said were gone for good? 

“I thought your kind was extinct?” I blurted, immediately regretting that I had. 

“Looks like you’re mistaken.” She smiled, but it didn’t reach her eyes. 

How was I able to release her? I studied my hand. It looked unfamiliar now like it didn’t belong to me. We sat in silence for a few moments, listening to the eerie stillness all around. “It’s so quiet.” She softly remarked, more to herself than to me. I nodded, forgetting that her eyes remained shut and she couldn’t see my acknowledging motions. 

“Wait, this should help,” I said before tearing off a strip of cloth from the bottom of my shirt and wrapping it around her eyes. 

“What are you-” she started to ask but stopped when she could feel relief from the blinding light. “Thank you.” 

The weight of the surrounding area made it hard to think. Beyond this forest, there was an incredibly vast field, and maybe different, more unique landscapes. Where we were didn’t matter anymore. It was our next steps that made our journey more important. Finding more people was paramount, and could possibly lead to a better explanation. I needed to ask Wren, the only other opinion I had at the moment. “What do we do now?” 

“Well, we should stick together for one thing. I owe you for freeing me.”

“Agreed, but you don’t owe me.” If anything, she helped me. I don’t know what I’d do if I was alone. 

“Perhaps I don’t, but we’re stuck in this place anyway, this… prison.” I nodded in agreement. That’s what this place was, a prison. It was a prison for the innocent, and I was determined to set us free and anyone else who didn’t deserve to be here.