Last Vampire | Teen Ink

Last Vampire

I like reading webtoons which is what mostly inspired this novel and hope it is enjoyable to everyone as it was for me to write it. :)

“Attention citizens of mythtopia, Be careful when going out at night, there have been reports of a strange beast killing humans and mythics.” A reporter announces on the screen behind them.

“I’ve been  hearing about it all over social media. Do you think it could be a mythic gone wild?” Chelsea says while reapplying her tint.

“It couldn’t be, It’s almost been three years since they signed the peace treaty between humans and mythics. Do you think they’re trying to start something?”  asks Eve worried.

“I don't think so but it sounds like we should start heading back while the street lights are still on.” Aife says as they look through the window and see no one around.

As they walk through the streets, the protagonist senses someone following them and doesn’t say anything to not alarm Chelsea & Eve.

“Are you alright, you’ve been acting strange ever since we turned the corner.” Chelsea asks, looking at her concerned.

“Yea, I’m alright just a bit tired from all that singing we did.” Aife responds with a faint smile.

``Where here, now go on, we'll be fine, we don't want to keep you up any longer, We promise we'll be safe.”Eve says, pushing her out the front gate.

“Ok, but promise to call once you're inside.” Aife says as she walks away.

“OK, we will” They both yell from the front gate.

As Aife walks back down the alleyway she can still feel someone following her. Out of nowhere she feels a whift and quickly turns around in time to see a huge black beast staring at her.

“So you're the beast everyone’s been talking about, huh” She says while trying to remain calm.

“Guess I’m pretty famous aren’t I, Too bad I can’t kill you, yet” The beast says as he gets closer and closer.

“What do you mean and Who are you anyways?” asks a confused Aife.

“The names Phonoi, like the famous god of murder and I know more about you than you think, Aife.” He says in a wicked voice.

“WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, You know nothing about me!” Aife says infuriated.

“You wanna know the truth, You're the heiress to the Vampilio throne, last of your kind and the person in my master’s way of destruction.” Phonoi says as he walks around her.

Aife starts to get these memories rapidly making her feel dizzy and nauseous. She tries to stabilize herself but she can’t, her body feels like it’s on fire and ready to blow. 

“You didn’t know that did you, Guess my master was correct they did wipe most of your memories.” Phonoi says, staring at her intently.

“That can’t be true, I only remember there being a war between mythics and humans and seeing my parents die.” Aife says as she manages to stabilize herself.

“I guess they even added in some fake ones to make you believe that but for now I’ll just leave you with a welcoming gift.” Phonoi says as he claws at her, sending her flying into a wall.

(“Ugh, that hurt like hell, I can’t feel my body and I’m losing too much blood but this war has just begun, I’ll fight to restore peace and I WILL find my parents because I know they’re still alive somewhere.” Aife thinks as she slowly loses consciousness and everything goes blank.)

She wakes up to find herself in a hospital with doctors around her and an old man by her side. She tries scanning the area to find a way out and resolves to fighting her way out and clenches her fist when the old man says: 

“You think you’ll get out in one piece, I have guards stationed outside this door, the hallways and the front entrance so don’t think of doing anything stuoid, Ok?” says the old man while looking through the magazine.

“Where am I and Who are you?” Aife says, pulling herself up.

“MRC, Mythics Research Center, We specialize in analyzing mythics while also providing a living space for them. I’m Carl and this is Amara, my daughter and head scientist at MRC. Right now you're in our hospital here in MRC. '' Carl says gesturing towards a young woman with blonde hair and emerald green eyes.

She looks through a window near her bed and can see tall green trees with flowers surrounding them and mythics going about their day.

“Why am I here and How’d you find me?” Aife says in a soft voice.

“Aife, we've been keeping an eye on you ever since you first arrived. At first I couldn’t believe it until your mother told me the whole truth.” Says Carl as he gets up from the chair.

“What are you talking about, When WHAT happened?”Aife says while analyzing the man.

“That is something I can’t tell you right now because you won't be able to take it in. Here.” Carl says handing Aife a high tech looking watch.

“Tap this button when you're ready to know the truth about your kind and why you're here.” Carl says in a mysterious voice.

The old man looks at her one last time before tapping a button on his watch and then disappearing into thin air. Weeks passed and Aife started to recover, she met with other mystics who seemed to like the enclosed Island. Something about the island felt familiar but Aife couldn;t quite grasp what it was. She still had the watch but was reluctant to press it and find out the truth. A part of her wanted to know about what happened, why her parents left her but the other part of her wanted to keep living the normal life she had even though she knew it was a lie. As she walks on the beach she feels a sudden grasp and she gets pulled into a little cove inside the rocks.

“Who are you?” Aife says in a muffled voice

The mysterious man uncovers her mouth and says:

“My name is Shaun and I was sent here by your parents to watch and protect you.” Shaun says facing her.

“Shaun?” Aife says, her head pounding as she tries to remember.

“They were right, they did erase your memories, I can’t explain everything right now but I will come back for you and don’t tell anyone about this, I promise.” Shaun says as he plants a kiss on Aife’s forehead.

Shaun disappears through a corner and Aife is left in the cove, alone. Her face feels red, her body feels heated and her heart is pounding uncontrollably. 

“What is this feeling?” Aife says as she walks out of the cove.

“”AIFE! Where are you?” Aife hears Amara yell in the distance.

Aife walks out to see Amara in her white lab coat and files in hand.

“I’m right here I was just checking out the rocks, they're very pretty.” Aife says trying to avoid contact with Amara.

“Ok, well Mr.Carl has come to see you so head to the main office please.” Amara says as she hands Aife a flier with directions around the Island.

When Aife arrives at the main office she feels something pulling her back as if to not let her in. She finally opens the door and goes in to find Carl sitting in a chair with papers all over the place.

“Come in Aife, take a seat please.” Carl says pointing to a chair nearby.

“You wanted to see me Mr.Carl?” Aife says as she takes a seat.

“Yes, I have a proposition for you.”says Mr.Carl looking through stacks of paper.

“What is it?” Aife says confused.

But first I have to tell you everything so let's begin shall we?” says Carl looking up from the papers and sitting straight.

Carl explains how he was working in his lab one day and out of nowhere there were thuds coming from all directions. He goes to check it out to find a beautiful woman with a baby in her arms. The woman looked like a porcelain doll with fair skin, lips as red as a rose, and eyes so mesmerizing that you could get lost in them for hours. The woman starts to frantically explain what is going on and Carl agrees to let them in. The woman says her name is Hera and the queen of Vampilio and tells him her life story on how her husband was stuck on the planet and told her to take her daughter away to a safe place. At first he couldn’t believe it but it would explain all the weird incidents that happened that day. It was 2 years since the incident, Carl and Hera had become good friends until that unfortunate event. Carl was picking up Amara and Aife from school when he got a call from Hera saying that they should hurry back home and not leave. Carl is confused but does what Hera asked. Once they arrive they lock the house and head to the basement/lab. All of a sudden Thuds and crashes come from upstairs and creatures tear apart the basement to reach Carl, Amara and Aife. Carl tried to protect Aife but he was no match for the creatures. Hera storms in but she seems changed, her eyes that once sparkled with joy now looked like eyes of a beast ready to kill its prey. The creatures charge at Hera but she seems more fast, agile and can easily dodge the attacks. Then all of a sudden she receives a hard blow to the back that ends her flying across the room. She yells to Carl telling him to run and never look back, to keep Aife safe and that she’ll return someday. After that Carl moved from home to home from country to country trying to keep Aife safe and it wasn’t until he couldn’t keep going that he had to keep Aife in a safe place. He felt horrible as he took Aife to some big headquarters where he left her. After that Aufe grew up in a lab getting tested and researched on. She was finally let out at the age of 14 in which they wiped her memories, added in some fake ones to make the story align and sent her to live on her own with a caretaker. They had provided a house, money and supplies for school. From then on Aife lived a normal life and she knew how to keep her identity a secret. Carl never heard from Hera again and always kept an eye on Aife as she grew up. He had finally thought it was a good idea to tell Aife everything since he knew they were going to come for Aife now that she was an adult.

“And that’s the whole truth, This is all you need to know about your past and who you truly are.” Carl said as he looked over to see tears streaming down Aife’s face. 

“There is a reason behind why I’m telling you this, Your our only hope to restore the peace there once was between the mystics and humans, I am asking you if your willing to find the last heirs to all mystical worlds and help destroy the evil demons roaming the Earth ” says Carl staring at Aife with hopeful eyes. 

“I’ll do it! If this means restoring peace between both worlds I'm willing to help out.” Aife says with a determining voice.

Carl leads Aife to a room, opens the door and gestures for her to come in. When she walks in the room flooded with light revealing guns, knives, ammunition, motorcycles and much more.She knew accepting this mission would change her life forever.

“Gear up!” Carl says, throwing a gun at her and immediately Aife catches it.

As the weeks pass Aife manages to find the heir to the fairy kingdom, the heir to the centaur kingdom, the heir to the dragon kingdom and the heirs to the pegasus, mermaid and phoenix kingdoms. The only heir that was hard to track down was the heir to the werewolf kingdom. Along the way Shaun comes back to her and offers his help in which Aife accepts with Carl’s knowledge about this. 

“I trust Carl but I get this weird vibe when we’re in the MRC, Are u sure he’s trustworthy?” Shaun says as they enter a dark alleyway.

“I trust Carl and I trust that he wants what’s best for this world.” Aife says as both of them get dragged into a small room. 

“What the hell!” Shaun and Aife both say as they’re seated on a couch.

“I heard you two were looking for me” says a feminine voice.

As they open their eyes they can see a femine figure standing in front of them. She’s wearing a brown coat, white cropped shirt, jeans, light brown hair and eyes as clear as the ocean. As Aife peers over she can see Shaun’s eyes fixated on the girl and she feels this rush of heat. She thinks it’s weird because she’s never felt this way before. She remembers Eve talking about jealousy and how it’s this sensation which makes you feel frustrated when the person you like looks at someone with sparkly eyes. 

(“Is this jealousy?” Aife thinks as her eyes wander to Shaun.)

“Cat got your tongue?” The woman says as she gets closer.

“I'm Shaun and this is Aife. Who are you?” he says as he keeps eye contact with her.

“ I’m Rieka, heir to the werewolf kingdom and the one you're looking for.” Pieka says smiling.

“So then you know why we’re here, right” Aife says with a sassy tone.

“Calm down ms.sharp teeth, I’m not gonna take your man.” Rieka says winking at Shaun.

“Rieka, we need your help in destroying Phonoi and saving the world before his master and him destroy it.” Shaun says standing up, helping Aife up too. 

“And what makes you sure that you need me to help save the world from the scary beast and his master.” Rieka says as she takes a seat in front of Shaun and Aife.

“ Because as you know vampires and werewolves were never the best at getting along until my grandfather established the peace treaty between all mystical worlds and the human realm,” says Aife “Ever since then the vampires and werewolves have tried keeping the peace for the sake of the other mythics and to set an example for the humans but we all know vampires and werewolves are the most powerful when united, why do you think both kingdoms were against vampires and werewolves being together?”

“Well you certainly know your vampire, werewolf history” Rieka says impressed.

“That’s not the point, Are you willing to help us out or not?” Aife says.

Rieka gets up and walks through another door, leaving Aife and Shaun alone. Aife thinks Rieka won’t want to help them out so she gets ready for a refusal as Rieka reenters the room with a backpack.

“What are you looking at, Let’s go!” Rieka says as she swings the door open revealing two motorcycles outside.

“But there’s three of us and two motorcycles?” says a confused Shaun.

“It’s fine you can just ride with Aife,right?” Rieka says, turning around with a smirk on her   face. (;

Shaun takes the front and Aife sits beyond him but as they're riding Aife seems to be slipping off so Shaun grabs her hands and places them around his waist so she has enough support. They arrive back at MRC where they see Carl and the other mythic heirs waiting for them. Rieka gets welcomed in and they start gathering the information that is known to them. All of a sudden the door bursts open, revealing Phonoi and Amara standing next to each other.

“Amara what are you doing?” Carl says as he gets in front of everybody. 

“What does it look like father, I’m going to clear this world of these dirty mythics. ” Amara says.

“Why, What have we ever done to you guys?” Aife says with sorrow in her voice.

“Ever since your kind decided to terrorize us, we have all lived in fear and your mother just made it worse,” Amara says, “My father seemed happier when he was with your dear mother and seemed like father had already forgotten about mom, she was the reason why we were all put in danger and had to move from home to home just so YOU wouldn’t get caught, I could never live a normal life like the rest of the kids and you were just another burden like your mother!” says Amara screaming at Aife with tears in her eyes. 

“AMARA, what is wrong with you, why would you say that!” says Carl as he tries getting closer to Amara. 

“Don’t worry father, Everything will be back to normal, once you wake up again.” says Amara as she tasers her father.

As they were speaking Phonoi had already caused destruction in the city, killing mythics and anyone who got in his way, On the news reporters were saying the mythics had begun attacking and were killing humans. On the TV humans and mythics were at each other’s throats, killing and attacking one another. They could hear kids crying, women screaming and people pleading for them to stop. Amara looked at the screen and looked horrified.

“This isn’t what I wanted, I just wanted to give the mythics a little scare so they would leave, what the hell is Phonoi doing?” Amara says as she turns to Aife.

“What’d you expect, murder runs in Phonoi and since he found you in human form it made it that much easier for him to gather all the heirs so he could rules the world.” Aife says gathering weapons.

“We have to stop him and restore peace.” Rieka says as she gets onto the motorcycle.

“Gear up guys, we have a Phonoi to catch.” says Aife.

They get to the city which is now full of chaos of mythics and humans killing one another. They see phonoi on top of a building looking down and smiling. As they reach the top floor phonoi is waiting for them already and he tries to strike them but the mermaid heir surrounds them with water walls blocking off Phonoi’s attack. As Phonoi tries to attack them they manage to dodge everyone as if they were calculated moves. In the end. Phonoi and the group are back down into the city. Phonoi gets too close to the water in which Aife uses her speed to push Phonoi off the edge into a water-like cage. 

“Time to end your mischievous game Phonoi '' Amara says as Cleo the unicorn heir drains the power out of Phonoi.

Phonoi screams in agony as he starts disappearing little by little. Phonoi finally disappears and allt he murder and chaos caused by him clears, healing the the ones who were killed (which were mostly humans). The group watches as the world clears up revealing a clear blue sky. Shaun gently holds Aife’s hand and they walk back to MRC where Carl is waiting. Rieka gets taken by the mythic police and as she leaves she apologizes for the misdeeds she has caused. The next day on the news the reporter states: 

“And that is how a young vampire girl, last of her kind came to save the world with the help of the other mythic heirs. Goodnight mythtopia and may the peace stay stable.”

THE END