The Roses With Thorns | Teen Ink

The Roses With Thorns

I've been wanting to write this tragic tale of people moving on for a while. Hopefully people can see that it's ok to move on, and that there's so much more out there if you just look past from the people you've lost.

This was her last day on earth. She and her fiancee had been speaking, and Rose knew she wouldn’t last. That car crash was just… too much. Rose was a twenty year old girl, who had long black hair down to her back, purple-ish brown eyes, and skin with olive undertones. Her eyes were round-ish and cheery. Her face was rounded, and her eyes were always smiling. But today was just not her lucky day.

They said their last words and goodbyes, and Rose’s heartbeat stopped, all motion of life stopped. She saw a grim reaper, and looked at him, perplexed. He had a skull mask and was in a cloak lined with gold. His mask had horns that were really more like antlers on its top, making a small loop. Nothing else was visible, as if he had no body. There was a tinge of sadness about him, as well. Like he was hurt by seeing this scene.

She knew she was dead, she just didn’t want to say goodbye. She felt herself rise out of her body, and she kissed her fiancee, Aventurine, for the last time, despite only being a spirit. Aventurine had short hair shaved on one side of it, and it was dyed to be a mint green, to match her green eyes. Her skin was tan, and always seemed to be calloused.

Aventurine was unable to see her love’s affections, still cried, and Rose’s view of the world faded into a watery scape, darkness with glowing rivers and bright mushrooms growing. There were trees with a deep shade of purple in the leaves, with blues as well.

There the reaper was, standing. She sat down, knowing she’d be waiting for a while. After all, she had promised to wait here to find Aventurine when she passed, and Aventurine promised that she’d go to her when she died. The reaper looked at her, confused.

“What are you doing, human? Are you confused? I can answer any and all of your questions, if you have any.” He asked. Rose took a deep breath.

“I’m waiting for someone. She said she wouldn’t move on and find me here! I’m going to make it easy for her to find me.” Rose said, in a happy manner.

“Well, since you’re so eager to wait, I’ll give you a necklace. It’ll light up when the one you’re waiting for is near. These are given to many people like you. I’ll explain the basics of this place to you, although this may take a while. Souls stay at a constant. When humans die, you go here, accept your death, and move on to become something else, like an elf, or a mermaid. The process can take a long time, though. With people who aren’t human, they don’t have to accept their death, as around here, death is a happy event of new beginnings. But not so much for humans. So whenever you accept your death, you’ll go back into the cycle. Here, is the home of all ‘magical’ creatures, and peoples. Another thing, to help you find your loved one, even if it’s been very long, and they’re old, they’ll always look how they did when they were in their twenties. This is because when your brain finishes growing, you’re around twenty five, and your spirit reflects that. I hope you find the one you’re waiting for!”

As soon as he says this, he walks off, leaving Rose a heart shaped ruby necklace with a gold chain. It shimmered in the glowing lights, but it didn’t yet glow. It seemed waiting would take forever, but she chose to sit outside with the flowing wind, waiting. The atmosphere of the spirit realm’s entrance was calm, and collected. The soft glow of the mushrooms and far off rivers, that seemed to never end. She felt safe here, like it was perfect and better than anything in her life, except maybe Aventurine. Peaceful, almost dreary, from the way it seemed to be full of only newly departed souls, who all mourned their deaths, weeping as they missed their loved ones left on the human realm. Rose wasn’t from earth, not a single human was.

A long time ago, hundreds of thousands of years ago, humans left earth except for a few of them, and found other habitable planets. Rose was born on the planet known as Lilac, named such for how it’s surface was abundant with lilac flowers, and how some of the gems in the planet looked much like the color of lilacs.

This planet always had something special about it, and everyone knew it. Sometimes there were apparitions that looked like grim reapers, all with different horned masks, and long cloaks that hid their bodies. Nobody ever saw their faces. Not once. Rose, after meeting that reaper, began to think that the masks were their faces.

Rose thought in wait, and knew that this was the place that only legends could say. The planet had been uninhabited when it was found, and only texts of long since extinct people were found, and decoded. It talked about The Aether, some sort of deity that only existed on this planet, like this planet was some sort of other dimension that these things only existed on. When Rose thought while waiting, she thought of these things, like ‘Would she meet the Aether?’ ‘Was the Aether even real?’, or ‘What kind of people are here?’

Time fades, and she forgets how long it’s been, or how to perceive time. It starts feeling blurry. It feels like it’s been forever, but the time went so fast, so very fast. Then something wakes her up, the light on her necklace. She knows nothing, like how long it’s been.

But the plants around Rose had grown around her, and she could only see the faint glow of her necklace. She ripped herself free from the long, silvery grass and looked for the one she lost seemingly so long ago, and that’s when she saw her.

Here she was, Aventurine. She looked just like she did when Rose had just died. But there was a moment of realization. Someone else was with her..? They were holding hands, and they kissed. Rose could feel her heart drop from her ribs and right into her feet. Aventurine had moved on. Even when Rose didn’t, her life moved on. Time moves on, even if you don’t want it to.

Slowly, the necklace stopped glowing. Rose hadn’t moved on, but no longer waits for Aventurine. She enters the Spirit Realm, and she was almost immediately greeted by the reaper again.

“Oh, it’s nice to see you again, human! I’m off of reaping duty for now, I’m glad I remember you! I never told you my name, it’s Owen. I go by they/them and he/him pronouns. The others don’t have names, but that’s because they don’t- Well, do you remember me? It’s been about twenty years since we last spoke..” He exclaimed, worried. Rose felt her heart drop even further. Twenty years…? Is that how long it had been? No wonder Aventurine had moved on from her, it had been twenty years!

Rose couldn’t think, it was all too much. The two walked around and talked, as Owen showed her around

“My name is Rose… and I go by she/her pronouns.” She muttered, still in shock.

“Well, that’s a wonderful name! Did you find who you were waiting for?” Owen asked. Rose just couldn’t handle it anymore and burst into tears while explaining her whole situation. Owen hugged her, and it was a strange hug, but Rose quickly found out that they were simply just a cloak and a mask. The hug was still soft and silky, but strange.

“I see… Your situation is… less than happy. That reminds me! Aether wanted to see you. Well, not specifically you, but ‘The person who waits too long’, or something. I had a feeling it was you.” Owen explains. Rose nods, tears still running down her face, her face looking tired and her eyes were dull and puffy. Owen showed Rose around still, showing her many different biomes, that were all quickly passable, like they were small.

The glowing rivers, of course, but the next thing she saw was a mountain of crystals and soft skies of blue, the mountain seemed to be iridescent with a rainbow. Humanoid birds flew here, and when Rose spoke to some, she always found herself somehow knowing the language that she didn’t even know existed before, but when she spoke, it was fluent, and she understood what they said.

This became a trend with others, mermaids that were more like anthropomorphic fish creatures with tails that lived in a beach of eternal night with sparkly shells, and bright glowing stars. Pink sand that wasn’t scratchy and itchy, but soft, like fine powder, if clouds mixed with powdered sugar and was a salmon shade of pink.

Then there was a forest with mile-high trees and giant red mushrooms with white dots, with moss and fireflies of all colors flew around. Elves lived here, and they had long hair, pointed ears, sharp teeth, and they could shape shift themselves into animals to look like the more animal-like inhabitants of the forest. They were very kind, and almost immediately welcomed Rose and Owen. One of them came forward. “Hey Owen! I see that you brought a friend. Is she okay? Do they need anything? What are their pronouns, what’s their name?” The elf rapidly asked

Owen took a deep breath, and began to speak. “Her name is Rose. She- She just lost someone she was waiting for. I think she may be the other in the prophecy, Flora.” Owen explained. Rose took a moment to look at Flora. Her hair was a lighter teal sort of color, clearly dyed. The roots of her hair were dirty blond, and her eyes were a honey kind of brown.

Her skin was a light gray, and she wore round glasses. Her hair dropped to her hips, and it was in intricate styling, with pieces of shiny metals and crystals adorning her hair. Her pointed ears had all sorts of pretty jewelry on them, from rocks that looked like opalite, to carved pieces of wood from the trees that had fallen down. She had on a pair of pink overalls, with crystals and leaves in the pockets. Her face was soft looking, and she looked concerned.

“Well, I’m always here to help. Especially considering that I’m supposed to go to Aether as well…..” She trails off, before picking back up again.

“Oh no- Lure! She can’t walk here, she hasn’t been able to shift into legs yet!” Flora exclaimed. Owen and Flora began rushing to the beach, Owen telling Rose to stay there, whilst they go get Lure, who Rose assumed was a mermaid. ‘Shift into legs?’ Rose wondered, not knowing what that quite meant.

Another elf stepped up to Rose before he spoke to her, frustrated but yet excited.

“So, you’re the last one of prophecy people? We’ve been waiting for you. Of course we had to wait, you were waiting too! Owen wanted to get you sooner, but Aether said that the waiting was likely necessary. In truth, we don’t think that Aether knows what the prophecy is, either.” He said, smiling at Rose.

Soon enough, the two were back with Lure, who was being moved around in a large glass bowl, attached to wheels. She was in the water, and her gills were on her tail. She had soft, wavy hair the same color as the rest of her body, a periwinkle sort of color. Her eyes were a deep purple. She had on a black tee shirt, with a purple heart on it. Her eyes and face were sharp, and she looked indignant.

The four set off, and it took quite a bit of walking to get to the central area of the Spirit Realm again, and it was obvious where the palace was. It was small, but extravagant and beautiful. It had accents of gold on the dark stone walls, and there was a small garden in front of it.

As they entered, there was silk draping off of the walls, and it looked like it was lit with magic. It was bright inside, but it was always a bearable amount of light, and not blinding. It seemed like a warm and comfortable place. Eventually, they got to the throne room, and that’s when Rose saw Aether…