Anchester | Teen Ink

Anchester

By GraphicHex, Sunnyvale, California
GraphicHex, Sunnyvale, California

It's okay to be afraid, it's completely fine to have doubts. But when the time comes to face Fear and Adversity for the first time. To make the choice to face it with strength and courage, is what it means to be a real Hero.

Hiyya! My name is Alan Leon, i am an inspiring writer hoping to create amazing stories for readers who are into various types of fiction and non fiction. My hope is to turn this hobby of mine into something very successful in the near future for myself and as a current Highschool student, writing novels such as this one is a great opportunity for me.

If you have any Suggestions or Constructive criticism please let me know so i can do better next time! I want to improve to be the best writer i can be so let's look out for each other so we can keep telling/reading great stories!

I hope you enjoy my story :)

I stood up with determination, feeling the adrenaline rush through my veins.

I climbed out of a window through the back and slowly attempted to sneak my way through the suburbia as the monster stalked each road and house I passed. Walking around, I held my mouth to make as less noise as possible as my breathing got faster and faster…

Walking through an alley I enter a convenience store to cut time between me and the path to the train station. Walking in, I took a look around the destroyed convenience store. Looking through the shelves as I staggered around quietly, I can see boxes of familiar brands I know, albeit they were decayed and the paper on them was tearing off after whatever happened.

Taking a moment to think about it… I ponder to myself if I had traveled somewhere completely different, or maybe… To another ti-

*CRASH*

The creature bursts through the wall in an act of desperation to track me! I hide behind the shelves as boxes, crates and so many things fly throughout the already abandoned store. The monster sticks its neck out, stretching its horrid frame as its animal heads begin to screech in pain. I look past its long rigid body to find a figure within its shadow. When the monster goes to attack it the monster's hand goes through its body. It looks as if the shadow is a part of the monster but why is it attacking its solidified form? 

I quickly took advantage of the situation and ran up a flight of stairs within the store and took my chase to the roof. Enduring every sign of pain and pressure, I run across the skyline towards the train station until a large crash breaks through the floor below me as the eldritch demon resumes the hunt for me again. Running across the rooftops I can feel my muscles start to give up as I leap from the roof towards a fire escape. Climbing down, my hands abruptly give up as a surge of pain showers my body. In an instant, my body falls towards a dumpster below-

I groan in pain as I crawl out…

Looking above I can see the creature leap towards my position-

I quickly leap forward as I roll under a broken down car in the street.

Scraping my legs a little on the broken door frame, I curl up into a ball as the monster begins to claw away at the car before stopping again…

The shadow that haunted the monster began to cover its solidified form and drown it in a dark aura. I immediately took this opportunity and bolted to the train station which was only a few meters away from my position, not before looking back that is. Looking back at whatever cursed being was chasing me, my eyes widened with horror as the creature was slowly drowned from the inside out from the monster's own shadow. I quickly ran into the abandoned station, sprinting through the ruined halls. I noticed many holes in the walls and vines and moss growing from the ceiling, it’d seem that this place hasn't been in use for… Many years… Rushing down a jagged flight of stairs, I reach a long hall where the trains should've been- I sprint around the hall in desperate search of an escape, only to find nothing… That was until I reached the very end. My footing slowly started getting faster as I limped my way over to one single train left on the rails. A large smile overran my face as I shuffled inside and attempted to get into the front of the locomotive to get the train started.

Walking into the control room of the train, I was instantly confused as I held my bruised stomach… More sweat started to coat my hoodie as my jeans got even tighter by the second as I gazed at an almost smashed control panel.

“What the- just my luck… The Controls are smashed, even worse i don’t even know how to operate this thi-”

I paused as I complained.

I looked over at at a lever that was jammed with an old metal pipe-

Taking my chances and whatever was out there trying to kill me, I went straight for the pipe attempting to take it out to free the lever so I could try and see if it could get this piece of sh*t train to move…

I kicked it, I pulled it, I tugged it, and it wouldn’t even budge one bit.

I knew I couldn't strain my muscles too much knowing the state that my body was in, I could already feel light headed as the adrenaline started to leave my systems… Was I about to pass out? I stumbled to my knees. On all fours, I layed there sweating, slowly losing hope at the thought that I might die here.

I layed on the floor in a sign of defeat, until. I looked across the long hall of carriages to see an old rusted crowbar from afar, hope wasn’t lost yet! I crawled my way over to the crowbar and picked it up. Using the last of my energy, I stood up once more and walked over to the jammed metal pipe. At that moment I could feel the heat from my struggle swell up my hoodie as sweat dripped all over my face. I lifted the crowbar into the air, and swung at the pipe with all the power I had left, and to my surprise, I broke the lever free! Now, it was finally time for the deciding factor in my survival. If I pulled this lever, would the train start? For a moment I was filled with doubt, but I pushed past those intruding thoughts and pulled the lever forward, and it was as if a miracle had been blessed upon me…

A loud engine noise could be heard as the train itself started to move!

The sounds of cracks and scrapes filled the train station as it started riding the rails towards my certain freedom! This was my escape! I took a seat as the doors began to close on the train, and as the train was picking up speed… Finally being able to catch my breath after having been through hell for the past hour or two. And as the train left the station, I laid my head back and took a deep- CRASH! “What the hell was that?” I yelled as a large figure held onto the side of the train as it traveled at full speed… It… It was… That bastard creature again! It somehow managed to survive being eaten alive by its own shadow, bearing one less antler and a few deformed animal faces on its side.

I jumped at the sight of the creature and ran straight for the other train carriages, my legs hadn't given up yet. The creature vigorously clawed at the train carriages as the train sped at 60 miles per hour through the abandoned cityscape. Tears and rips litter the carriages as I tumble to the floor and duck to evade cover from the creature's jagged claws and edged teeth, as the creature bawls another loud and blood curdling scream. Falling to the floor within the front carriage, I look to the destroyed train hall to see the creature making its way inside, preparing itself to charge forward to maul me brutally I assume. “I… I have to stop that… Wait, I can't feel my legs, i- i can’t feel…”

I stuttered as I struggled to keep my head up, I was… I… “I’M BLEEDING ALL OVER” I screamed as i layed there in a small pool of my own blood. I shakingly pulled up my hoodie to find that I had been scraped by the creature's claws, with blood pouring out of my wound… 

I hazily look up as my vision is blurred, and witness with shock as the monster is trapped in between the metal beams within the train's infrastructure. I see it struggle to pass through the moving halls of the speeding train. And in that moment it felt as if time stopped for me, I was going to die… After all that effort to escape, I had finally found my demise… The lights were going dark, and in that moment I felt my body slowly start to lose all sense of feeling and touch as the eldritch abomination grew closer with its ravenous intent. My fingers, my feet, it's as if the numbing feeling I had before had doubled tenfold, and I was beginning to drift into the Void…

I couldn’t see anything, any visible light had been cleared from my line of sight, all I could even experience were the vague sounds of metal scratching and scraping in the background as i layed on the cold metallic floor. Every bone in my body felt fractured, some shattered. My Muscles torn, fingers cracked, ribs broken, everything had been mangled, I was only just waiting for death to take me as the creature reached the front of the control carriage… 

However…

In that very moment of my demise, something happened, something that I could never even hope to explain… At that moment it was as if someone or something was trying its hardest to reach out or escape from my body… I heard a voice and before I knew it my body lunged forwards towards the monster who had finally freed itself from captivity. I pulled back my arm as the abomination unhinged its dreadful jaw in preparation to bite off my head.

As I was only a few inches away from its jagged teeth, I lunged my knee into its stomach as I somehow managed to knock it off balance, and in that moment I acted unconsciously and reached out my arm. The veins in my arm started pulsating as blood rushed to my head, even coming out of my nose as my vision turned red… I took one good glance at the monster and found that I had begun to cause its shadow variant to drown it in itself. 

I saw it claw out its own face in blood in an attempt to stop whatever this darkness was overcoming it. I tried to close my eyes but stopped before realizing I could unhook the train carts to separate us from each other. I quickly wiped the blood from my face and stomped on the gears holding the old train together and shoved the unstable monster away to the next cart. At that moment I stomped as furiously as I could until I broke the gears and the two train carriages were separated!

I took one step back before seeing the monster lunge forward and attack me and-

I was out cold…

Where was i? What was that thing? Who am I now?

So many questions, and all i have to go off of are the things out to hunt me in this cruel new world…