The Turning Tides | Teen Ink

The Turning Tides

By rm-writer22, Souderton, Pennsylvania
rm-writer22, Souderton, Pennsylvania

This piece was inspired by Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas. I added my own twist to it and I hope you enjoy it!

Two jobs. That’s all I have to accomplish today. One, interrogate the prisoner we have locked up in the chelft; two, get ready for tonight’s banquet in honor of our new alliance. The stairs creak as I walk down step after step to the chelft, our dungeon. I try not to think of where I’m going, a place that has seen enough bloodshed to fill all the oceans in the world. But I can’t stop my mind from going to unwanted places.

The chelft is as dark and musty as always, and I can’t help but wrinkle my nose at the smell of vomit, blood, and death. Inside, chained to the wall, is the young man Atlas sent me to question. Atlas is my—mentor’s not quite the word I’m looking for—master if that's the word to describe our relationship. Unsurprisingly, Via’s already there and preparing herself for the interrogation. She’s been my best friend since I got here, and we always work together during tasks like this.

I smile at the unfamiliar man in front of me, as friendly and kind as I can be, and crouch down in front of him so I can peer into his eyes. Some believe eyes are the pathway to the soul, and I’m not entirely sure they’re far from the truth. I can usually tell if someone’s lying just by their eyes.

“Hi, I’m Astraea. What should I call you, Friend?” I ask softly, attempting to gently coax out an answer. His eyes, an azure blue, flash, though the rest of his face reveals nothing. If not for his all-revealing eyes, I would not be able to detect the fury coursing through him. He won’t be charmed into telling us what I want. That’s okay, I have other ways of getting answers.

“So you’re not in the mood to be cooperative, huh?” I ask, careful to keep all irritation out of my voice.

“Listen very carefully because I will only ask these questions once, alright?”

“It doesn’t matter how many times you ask, Girl.” His voice is gruff despite his young age, and I feel another sharp zap of irritation at his condescending tone. “You won’t make me answer any of your questions no matter how you ask them.” His eyes flash to Via’s array of weapons, conveying quite clearly to me that he was prepared to undergo torture to keep his precious information hidden.

“Thank you, Friend,” I say with a grin. He scowls, unsure of where I’m heading with this. “You’ve just confirmed to me that you have a role in this issue and have information that I need.” Now I just need to figure out just how much pressure I should apply to make him give in.

His lips curl as he snarls, “If I do have the information you need, I’ll take it with me to the grave.” I shrug at Via. So much for trying to be civilized. Unfortunately for me, most people who find themselves in this room are unwilling to give up information easily. 

“As you wish.” I nod to Via, who slowly walks over to him. She gives him a second to change his mind, then slams her fist into his nose. I hear a soft crunch as blood gushes out of his nose. He spits blood out of his mouth, but other than that he remains unaffected.

“Who is your leader? What does he have to gain? Where are all of the missing girls going? Why? What role do you play in their disappearances?” He answers no questions and conceals all emotions through his eyes

“You’re going to have to try a lot harder than that, Muila. Do you really think I’m going to give you the information you seek that easily?” He mocks me, though I’m in control of the situation. It rubs me the wrong way, but I’m about to dismiss his retort when I notice his use of the word Muila. Interesting. A word like that has no place in Western speech. He uses an Eastern version of our word friend.

“Where are they?” I ask again, enunciating the words. “And what sort of person kidnaps the innocent like that? Surely they have a reason?” I phrase the words hopefully as if searching for the good in his leader. 

He snorts. “Oh, yeah, the man that makes little girls disappear into the night has noble reasons to do so. Keep dreaming, girl.” So the leader is a man, unsurprising, and it turns out that the prisoner might actually give me the answers I need without realizing it.

“So he’s just evil? Why do you work with him?” I keep the naive, little girl mask in place as if my unforgiveness was just a ploy that slipped with the time. Making someone underestimate me has always been one of my strong suits.

“I won’t tell you anything,” he spits out.

“Are you sure? I’ve asked all my questions. Anything you have to say to me?” I’ve abandoned the innocent act now that I know he’s caught on and match his hard tone. When he says nothing, I signal for Via, who’d backed up a few steps to allow me to ask questions, to begin again. 

At the brunt of her backhand, his hand slammed into the stone wall behind him and he winced at the pain. Nevertheless, he steels his expression while Via continues. I let it go on for ten minutes before deciding to up our game. With a slight flick of my wrist, I signal for her to switch to steel.

She does so happily, drawing her favorite knife for questioning and taking a few seconds to polish it. I almost roll my eyes. She’s always so theatrical, even amidst a grim situation like this one. A slow smile spreads across her face, and she gets to work. He doesn’t even flinch at the first slash, but he’s screaming after only two minutes.

~~~~~

“Easy,” Via says with a grin, upbeat despite the blood staining her clothes and hands.

“I—'' I don’t know how to phrase the word. “I sort of admire his courage. At least he tried to withhold his information. He was so loyal to the cause that he was willing to undergo torture and death to save it.”

“He was weak and stupid. If he was loyal to the cause, as you say, he would’ve made sure to guard their secrets more heavily instead of letting them slip before we even began to torture him. And even after we started, he should’ve been able to keep his mouth shut.”

“Via, you’re asking for them to capture you and return the favor,” I half-joke, shouldering her. “You know how much pain you inflict. If you call him weak for not being able to stand it, well I think you should try it yourself in their base. Maybe they’ll teach you some new techniques.”

“With a trainer,” she flinches at the word, “like Atlas, I think I could hold my own.”I cringe a bit at the undercurrent in her tone. She’s never been a fan of Atlas because of his training methods. It's true, there’s a good shot that any of us could last against any torturer, especially Via.

I remember when Atlas chose Via as our main torturer. He told her that if his interrogator couldn’t stand torture then it was useless for her to exist. He’d make sure to give her special treatment, holding her in training longer than any of the rest of us and “teaching her” how to be a better interrogator by showing her first-hand.

“True. Well, speaking of Atlas I should go update him on how everything went. He wants the details. Are you coming?” She raises her eyebrows and gestures to all the blood. “Right. Well, see you at the banquet.”

~~~~~

As the sun sets and I walk into my room, I turn to see an elegant dress laid out on the foot of the bed. I had carefully selected my dress for this occasion—a perfect combination of flashy and mysterious. It clings tightly to my waist but loosens and pools at my feet. Hopefully, this night will go well and it will only be the crimson of my dress collecting at my feet and not a pool of blood. 

Not that I’m expecting anything to happen anyway. No one in their right minds would dare to make a move against the Guild within the sanctuary of our walls.

The only problem with this seemingly perfect dress is the laces, which I can’t quite reach. I give up my attempts to tie them, and huff in frustration. These stupid laces!

“Need help, love?”

I turn my head towards the voice. He lounged lazily on the ottoman, surprisingly comfortable in the unfamiliar setting of my room. Arrogance radiated off of him, and I felt the slightest bit intimidated even though it was clearly The Guild’s domain. There would be no way he would get out of here unscathed.

“How did you get in?” I say to the man as I take him in. The gray eyes seemed to look through me. He looks at me, through me, so very close to me. His gray eyes are like chips of ice, shards of glass. Like both, his gaze is pointed and piercing. Cold yet captivating. Beautiful in the way only deadly things can be. And as he stood up, I looked up at him. His height might have given him an advantage, but I would still beat him. I walk slowly towards him, my hand on my thigh where my dagger is hidden. 

“Who are you,” I ask him 

“Well, I will be sure to tell you soon enough but for the time being, I must compliment you on how lovely you look.”

I continued walking towards him, “Oh, how I do love a good compliment, but you are going to tell me who you are and how you got in!” I repeat.

He glances up and down my figure. I know I am not unattractive. With my large green eyes and auburn hair, I am fairly striking. My height at 5’8, rather tall, I still only stand up to his shoulder. I glance up at his eyes with the gray color seeming to perceive right through me. His lean body and his crisp white button-down shirt without a single wrinkle. His black suit jacket lay haphazardly on my bed.

“Love, no need to worry, I just came here to tell you that your master, you so lovely adore, is going to betray you.”

“You are lying, and not a word out of your mouth is credible,” I reply, glancing down at his lips.

He catches me staring and smirks and I hurriedly look back up. “Oh, keep looking, dear, I love the attention. And as much as I love this little chat, I need to tell you some information.”

My curiosity gets the best of me as I ask, “What?”
“You keep interrogating prisoners about the missing women, right.”

I nod in agreement

“You should stop your efforts, the person you’re looking for is right in front of you,” Gray eyes say.

“You mean you?”

“No, I mean Atlas,”

I scoff, “Why would I believe a word you just said? Atlas is practically family.”

Gray eyes look taken back by my statement, “Trust me, Atlas is someone you would not want as a family. “

“What would you know about family?” I query

“What I know about family has nothing to do with this conversation.” He spouted

Oh, clearly I hit a nerve. Though I want to know what he has to say about Atlas, so  I decide to let it go. 

“Where is your proof?” I inquiry.

“Here,” Gray eyes, hands me a note, “Meet me at this address after you fancy Masquerade Ball.”

I take the note, dazed, “How do you know about the ball?”

He all but smirks, “Maybe I ‘ll see you.”

Stunned, I look at his perfect smile, oh how it should be illegal for someone to have such a perfect smile. The dimples on either side of his face seemed to take my breath away.

In my stunned few seconds, I turn to put the note on my desk, and I feel a slight breeze pass by me. I turned around to see where the enigma of a man should have been standing, but no one was there. 

Just gone.

I walk through the bustling, cosmopolitan streets of Gaythra, the streets are filled with the deep smell of cigars, blood, and death. The smell I have grown accustomed to. I still can’t shake the anxiety coursing through my veins after my Gray eyes left. What he told me about Atlas, shakes my bones.

The note he had left me told me to meet in West Callais— a poorer part of Gaythra. In the district homeless and beggars fill the street and rats and pests live among the humans. Filthy is the only word for it. 

As I near my destination, I clear my thoughts, and the roars grow louder. I enter the Braenia, I steer clear of the crowd avoiding the sloppy, drunk folk stumbling. I hold my dress up as I near Atlas. He told me to be here a little early but here I am and half an hour late. After gray eyes left, leaving me breathless and addled. I scouted the area for a while as I tried to find the enigma of a man. 

I clear my thoughts as I near the mantle. I see Atlas, with a young woman hanging by his arm. Atlas may be old but he looks good for his age. With his salt and pepper-like hair, his green eyes seem to look through your soul. His face was painted with wrinkles from all the years of stress, though handsome enough to catch the eyes of a longing woman. 

As I draw nearer to him I see the recognition in his eyes. He glides through the crowd to meet me. Dragging the woman on his arm swiftly. 

“Astraea, glad you could join us,” Atlas remarks kindly, though I’ve learned to recognize his thinly-veiled threats. I know, though he hasn’t made it explicitly clear, that I will be punished after the festivities are over for attending late. 

“My pleasure. You must forgive me, Atlas, for my late attendance. I had some matters to attend to, but nothing I couldn’t handle,” I reply, sweeping into a bow of respect. My response was a subtle warning that something was off at the guild. Though I am interrupted by a subtle cough. No doubt the lady on Atlas’ arm. 

I keep a steady voice, hoping to keep the tension out of my voice, “Oh hello, m’lady, and who might you be?”

“Oh—”

“Ah, no, I do not want to hear you talk, move along.”

The lady walks away but still glancing over her shoulder as if, yearning for Atlas to follow. 

“You may want to get your lady,” I say to him, jerking my chin to point at her distant shadow.

Atlas glances at her pining clear in his eyes, “Astr—”

I stand my ground, “Go.” I say firmly

Atlas must sense my irritation and follow in the lady’s steps. I look around the Masquerade and after safely securing my mask on I walk into the erection of the drinks. I know that this night will end with a blast.

~~~~~

After drowning myself with three glasses of champagne. I look around. Which person shall be the next person I “involuntary” interrogate. I scan the room and meet the eyes of a man wearing a bright red suit. His eyes were covered by a black mask. He sat tall on the end of a stool. His stature oozed arrogance. I eye him and see the smudge of blood on his sleeve. 

I can tell that he hoped that his suit would hide the smudged blood. I glanced back at his eyes. Kyler Davion. The leader of The Accords. Though a traitor to the government he proves quite useful for information. He must know something about the mystery man in my room.  

I maneuver myself past the crowd, meeting Kyler’s eyes. I  keep approaching him as I see him make room for me to sit next to him.

“What a pleasant surprise. The Scarlet Mystery. I am thrilled but also quite frightened that you have sought me out.”

“Ha, and why is that? Because you usually come to find me to kill your enemies.” I pause, letting the fear sink right into his eyes.

“Or is it because I have all the proof I need in a folder that I can use to expose you and certainly end your career.” I continue

“What do you wan—” Kyler starts.

“I am gonna cut you off right there and tell you right now. I want information on the missing women in the area.” I pause to look at my newly painted nails, “I want information on a man who has gray eyes, is tall, and is significantly annoying.”

“The information about the women is easy but how am I supposed to find out anything about a person with that limited description!”

I take his drink out of his hand and swallow it in one gulp. I look him in the eye and say, “You’ll figure it out”

Kyler stutters, “I need time!”

“You have until the end of the hour”

“That is twenty minu—”

“Then you better get to work.”

I stand up scanning the room for Via, she should be here by now. I stop and see her chatting to another lady by the fountain. 

I make my way toward her, and as soon as she sees me she walks away from the lady meeting in the middle of the ball floor. 

“What did you do to Kyler?” Via smirks, “He looked like he was going to throw up whatever he ate for lunch.”

I internally laugh, “I just told me to find some information..” 

Via just continues to stare waiting for more, ugh she may be my best friend but when trying to hide things from her it's like having a piece of meat in your pocket and hoping a dog doesn't chase you.

“About a man who,” I pause, “Broke into my room.”

“What! Astraea! Why haven’t you told Atlas! He is going to freak out about this.”

I grab her arm, looking around to see some attention brought to us, “I haven’t told him and I don’t plan on telling him either so shush!”

“Okay fine and ouch!” Via says, ripping her hand out of my grasp. “I was going to ask if you wanted to leave this place and meet up with the rest of the group but I think I know the answer.” Via continues angrily.

“I apologize, Via. I would love to join you. I just need to get the information from Kyler and I will meet you there okay?”

“Okay, yes, it is alright. Same place as always.” She says, bitterness in her voice gone. 

I nod in acknowledgment. I watch as Via leaves the ballroom and hear the bell chime for six o clock. I glance at the ringing cloak while searching for Kyler.

As I scan the room I notice Kyler exchanging money with a servant and subtly walking away. Ah, some bribery.

I make my way toward him and as soon as he notices me he walks and glances towards the empty hallway. 

“So, gather any information for me?” I say, picking at my long nails.

“Uh—yes…” 

“Continue..” I say obviously annoyed

Kyler shifts on his feet, “His name is Grayson Stone, international assassin to whoever the highest payer,” Kyler continues, “He is a phantom, no one knows where he's from and he just appeared on our radar two years ago.”

I nod my head, “And about the missing women?”

“The women have been disappearing for over a few months now. The first woman was Miss. Lori Connor. She went missing on her way home from work.”

“Where did she work, Kyler?” I ask, clearly getting annoyed

Kyler gulps, “She works for the Rays, like you.”

“That's impossible, I know everyone in the Rays.”

“I don’t think you know her,” Kyler glances up from the paper he is reading off, “She was one of Atlas' lieutenants, gathered secrets unconventionally.”

I pause soaking up the information

“You know, Miss Lori probably used her wiles to gather information, I am surprised you don’t know what a liu—”

“Don’t you dare finish that sentence, I know what a lieutenant is!” I pause again, “I just didn’t know Atlas had lieutenants. They are something I thought we agreed to not have.” I say, more to myself than anyone. 

I set aside my thoughts, and reply, “See, that wasn’t so hard, was it? Now move along, I have friends I need to see and places I need to be.”

Kyler scurries off and I swiftly glide past the crowd to leave the masquerade, but I am stopped when I am pulled into an unopened room. My hand was grabbed by a mystery offender. 

“Hello, Ms. Astraea.” 

I glance up struggling to pull my hands out of his grasp. I meet the man's eyes, gray orbs staring back at me. 

“Grayson. What a surprise. I would not expect to see you here.”

I say trying to shake off my unease and instead show some fortitude. 

“Wow, you've learned my name— I was wondering when you would finally figure it out,” Grayson says smoothly, sarcasm seeping through each word.

“Ah, you see, some people actually have things to do. Unlike some people…”

Grayson narrows his eyes, “Uh, I could swear that you weren’t actually finding my name, you were scared that poor lad into doing it for you.” 

I huff, how dare he ridicule me. 

“Anyway, I just came to tell you that, the dress looks exquisite on you, I didn't get to say it before.” Grayson continues.

“Well you list—” I start.

“Before you go on and spout more nonsense out of your beautiful mouth and ruin this perfect movement, I should get moving. Make sure to meet me.” Grayson interrupts and before I have the chance to open my mouth again, he's captured my wrist and kisses the back of my hand. My fruitless attempts to grab my hand back all prove useless and as he finally let's go he's gone. 

The place of my hand is still tingling. 

Darn.

I never got to make Via's gathering with other Guild members. By the time the Masquerade ended, I knew I had to get to West Cillaist for my meeting with Grayson. 

The district would take about fifty minutes on a carriage, but with the Guilds short cuts through buildings and alleyways I get there in twenty. I stand under a statue of Magi Duren. She was the leader of the revolution when Gaythra's monarchy was corrupt. She led forces to change the way our society ran and make sure everyone had a fair fight. It ended badly in the end. Her new system of government ended up more corrupt than the least that organizations like the Guild formed. We finish information against traitors of the government and make them pay. 

“Hello, love. Fancy seeing you here.”

I turn my head towards the voice and find a pair of gray eyes staring right back at me. Grayson stands right behind me. His suit and jacket are substituted for regular black pants and a gray long-sleeved t-shirt. I quickly avert my eyes,

“Well, I said I would come, didn't I,” I whisper, already irritated by the conversation.

“No need to get angry, love, just making a statement. Now you came here for proof, isn’t that right?”

My ears perk up, yes, of course, the only reason why I came here tonight instead of Via’s gathering. I glance back at Grayson and pull something out of the briefcase he brought

“Tell me,” I demand, trying to grab the newly found papers in his hands. 

He swipes them up and holds them above his head, “No, not until you promise me something.”

I roll my eyes, “What is it you want?”

“I want a promise,” he smirks

“Of what, pray tell.”

“I don’t know, you’ll just have to give me whatever you want when the time comes.”

“Okay, I promise… and now that I have given you what you want, no give me the folder!” I proclaim

“Sure princess,” Grayson rolls his eyes, “Here you go, take these files, but you're not leaving her with them so I am standing right here.”
“Whatever, just give them to me!”

Grayson hands me the folder, and I read through it. At some point there tears filled in my eyes, and I quickly blink them away.

“What is this?” I ask, my voice raspy

“It is what you asked for..”

“This is not what I asked for! Pictures of women bound and gagged.” I shout, gaining nervous glances from onlookers, “Atlas would not do it, these are fake!”

Grayson looks at me surprisingly gentle, with his oddly warm eyes and calm demeanor. 

“It's true, look at them. You know that there is no way that those images can be fake.”

I look at him, hating how I am showing any weakness.

“These images were all taken when he abducts the women?” I ask 

“Yes, I’ve been on his trail for a while now. When he found out he told everyone that I was the one kidnapping the women.” He pauses, seeming lost in thought, “The rest is history.”

“Say I believe you, what will I do with this information?”

“Whatever you want, but I trust you’ll make the right decision.” Grayson walks away. His words replay in my mind.

I hope I make the right decision too.

Basically, Atlas accuses her of being the reason for the missing woman; she denies it, and still, he keeps blaming her. She figures out he is the reason behind the missing women. He says he has to kill her and she runs away. She gets chased and then saved by Grayson.

Grayson’s visitation still replays in my mind as I walk through the hallway to meet Atlas. I walk through the halls of the complex, Atlas named Lientha, when I finally meet his mahogany door. Alas called me into his room. And by how abrupt this meeting is, I have no doubt in my mind that the outcome will be disastrous. I knock on the door.

“Enter.” Atlas replies

I walk into the room and gaze at the new scenery. Looking around, his workspace would put some people's houses to shame. His desk and chair are all made of wood and everything has a unique spot 

“Astraea. Thank you for coming, Dear.” His sickly voice, a clear attempt to disguise a tone I can’t quite place. Distrust, no, it can’t possibly be. I am his greatest help, almost a daughter, and I’ve never given him any reason to doubt my loyalty. 

“Have a seat,” Atlas says, gesturing to the chair across his desk. 

I do so, slightly puzzled.

“I can’t believe you, Astraea. I’ve given you everything, and yet you turn your back on me. How could you?” Atlas shouts, his calm demeanor gone. His concern, his disappointment, is enough for me to break. But what did he think I did? 

“Those poor women did nothing to deserve your heinous acts. What justified it, in your mind?” I stare at Atlas in shock. What did I do?

“Atlas, I don’t know what you mean. I’ve been working to find the women, just as you have. After our history, what makes you doubt me now?”

“Because I caught the traitor. And, interestingly enough, he asked for you. Now, why would he even know you? He admitted to being in friendship with you. I have proof, Astraea.”

“You found him? Who was it?” My curiosity and worry get the best of me

“He claims his name is Grayson.” Atlas gives me a sly smile. “Sounds familiar, dear? All along, throughout the whole investigation, it’s been you kidnapping the girls and murdering them in cold blood! How could you!”

“Did he tell you that?” I hide my real question in a betrayed gasp. 

“Of course he did. You should know better than to trust common criminals, Astraea. They can’t be trusted to keep your secrets.”

“No, you don’t understand! He’s lying! I have nothing to do with it.” I stare at him, pleading with my eyes for him to listen to me. Then it dawns on me. How did he know where the women were dead? We never uncovered that in our investigation. And now… no, it can’t be! Atlas couldn’t have been a traitor all along! “Wait, how do you—” 

“Astrea, give up. I have witnesses, and evidence, all piled against you, stop trying to turn things around. You can’t weasel your way out of this. It’s over, Astraea.” He gives me a hard, warning look. “You should be grateful that I am ending it instead of the authorities—” he reaches for his gun. Of course. The punishment for betraying Atlas is death. I just never pictured myself in this position.

“You’re never going to believe me, are you? And I think I know why. You, it’s been you all along. You killed all of those girls. But why, Atlas?” I’m shaking my head as the revelation hits me. “Why blame it on me, though? What do you have to gain from my death?”

He gives me a grim smile. “You’re corrupting my son.” His what? Who is his son? I think back— Grayson is Atlas’s son?

“Grayson?” I ask in disbelief.

“Yes, Grayson. My son and you have filled his mind with doubts.”

“No, no, you have it all wrong,” I plead, “He is the one who came to me, not the other way around.” 

“Lies!” Atlas roars.

I know I am about to die now, I take the coward's way out.

I run.

~~~~~

I ran through the complex. Guards are coming through all the sides. I am near a corridor when I spot Via. Standing right in front of me, her eyes narrow. 

“Via!” I cry out, maybe she’ll listen to me. 

“Traitor! You were my best friend and you backstab Atlas. Why!” Via howls, her eyes filled with vengeance. 

“You don’t understand, I was framed!”

“By who, no one would want to frame you, they would have nothing to gain.”

“Atlas! He killed those women, please. Please Via, help me.” She looks at me with pain in her eyes.

“Still trying to make excuses,” she shakes her head, “Run, next time I see you, you're dead.
I look at her once more before escaping the complex.

Guards surround me, I am trapped.

I sink to the ground, defeated. Arms circle around me.

“Come on love, we got somewhere to go.”

“Where”

“Somewhere safe.”

Grayson and I run through the complex, once more, but this time with renewed energy. We make an alleyway.

“Stay here with me. I have a car sent to pick us up.”

I stare at him, “Why would I believe a word that comes out of your mouth. You liar, traitor, and backstabber.”

“I didn’t lie to you, I just didn’t tell you the truth, and it was necessary.”

“It was necessary for you to not tell me you were Atlas’ son!”

“I couldn’t let you put yourself in danger!”

“You put me in danger the moment you told Atlas that I suspected him of being the murderer, all thoughts planted by you,” I say, calmly trying to not draw any more attention back to ourselves. 

Grayson sighs, “Please, just trust me.” He pleads, his eyes show a hint of disparity.

“Okay, fine,” I say calmly, as we wait in silence. I try to remain a storm for a little longer but the tears down my face can’t seem to stop pouring down.

Grayson notices, “What's wrong,” he says, oddly comforting

"I... I don't understand. After everything I did for them, I did everything they asked me to do. I protected them. I cared about them. And yet, they turned their backs on me when I did nothing."

"No. They ordered you to kill. To destroy. To create chaos. They manipulated and twisted your will. They turned it into a weapon. They paved the way toward power with pawns, like you."

"It's that what I was to them, this whole time? Just a mere pawn in their game? To think, to discover that I was nothing for them.” I say.

"Now. Now. Don't waste your tears on these fools, love. Not everything is lost. I, on the other hand, can help you without expecting anything in return. Well, only ONE thing I want from you. Your... support."

"How do I know you won't backstab me when the choice arises?"

"Simple, because true friends stab you on the front. Quick and painless."

As the car approaches the complex, I only have one thought going through my mind….

Revenge has never looked so sweet.