Rain-Reign | Teen Ink

Rain-Reign

By Samantha_08, Nokesville, Virginia
Samantha_08, Nokesville, Virginia

I wrote this because there are many stories about a woman getting taken and falling in love with her manly, rude, and hurtful kidnapper. So, i wanted to put a twist on it, these brothers took her for a reason, but she isn't the first, all those that were mistaken were let go, will she pretend that they are wrong, or is she truly some random woman? Why is her kidnapper's ac brother so cute and why is she falling for him, is he interested as well or is he just trying to get information out of her, if he really feels something for her, won't he let her go....

The rain showed no signs of letting up, each drop hitting the window only reminded her of bullets. The same bullets that would pain her in the next two weeks... 

She awoke confused and in pain. “Where am I? What is this place?” she thought to herself, as she tried to get up, she felt a hard, cold weight on her left wrist. Chains, they burned her poor, ivory skin, blood dripping from her exposed flesh.  

“Shut up” a deep, stern, male voice said from the shadows.

“Who are you? Let me go! Please, I've done nothing wrong!”  

“BOOM!” the gun fired, the ringing in her ears was unbearable. The cold blood coming from her ears trickled all the way to her chin, “drip...drip...drip” it went as it collided with the cold marble floor. 
 “I told you to shut up, learn to listen next time” he said. “Now I have to clean up all that blood” he yelled at her in a tone that clearly had other problems going on, worse problems. She screamed hysterically, balling as hard as ever, fighting the chains with all her might. Flesh tearing with each movement.  

“SMACK” the noise echoed across the dark room as he slapped her once more. “Don’t you get it, no one is saving you, so shut up will you, I don’t want to have to make you,” he yelled at her. 

“The boss really chose a good one this time, she’s pretty even when distressed” another man’s voice said while coming down the staircase. “Is that window her only source of light? Just turn the lights on it’s not like she will be alive by the end of this to remember our faces, isn’t that right sweet face?” the man said as he approached her and grabbed her chin closer to his.  

“Please, just let me go?” she said back to the man still visibly crying.  

“I’m sorry.” he said back with a hurt, distant, expression on his face, “day one is done for the day, turn on the light, get her some food, and let her rest, no more hurting her today, understand?” 
 The man’s specialty was definitely barking orders. As the lights flickered on there he was, a tall, buff, Asian male with fluffy hair and hazel eyes. All her suffering came to a pause, and she couldn’t help but think that if they had met someplace else, she would have fallen in love with him on the spot.  
“Goodnight sweet face, we’ll talk more in the morning, right?” he said as he turned towards the staircase and left. She came to find out his name was Leo the next morning. 

“Leo get down here,” yelled the man that had hit her the night before, Roman was this man’s name, a name as cold hearted as him. 
 “What do you want this time Roman?” Leo yelled as he made her way down to where they were.  
“She’s up” Roman replied with an annoyed face.  
“Oh, great, good morning sweet face, how was your first night?”  
“Uhm” she replied. 
 “Come on love, don’t spare me the details, did you at least sleep well?” 
 “Mhm” she mumbled uneager to make conversation with Leo knowing deep down she has a crush on him.  
Days wilted away along with the rain, each hour she found herself growing closer to Leo, even when he was from her, daydreams occupied her mind. Sadly, they were always interrupted by Roman’s violence towards her. Try as she might, she couldn’t shake that feeling. She was unable to ignore the fact that she was still kidnapped for God knows why. All she could do was focus on the good and at the moment that was Leo. 

Hey there sweet face, thinking of me or just zoning out?” Leo said to her, breaking her attention from the flickering light. 
 “No, I was thinking of you” she accidentally blurted out. “Shoot I meant-”  
“That’s alright sweet face, I was too I actually got you something” he said as he pulled a key out of his pocket. “Just promise me one thing, you won’t run away from me” his arms were wide open the second he did it, “CRASH” the chains went as they hit the ground. Immediately she fell into Leo’s arms that were obviously waiting for her. He kissed her forehead as she was about to get up. “Is that better sweet face?” Leo said with a smile that instantly gave her butterflies.  
“Yes, it really is” she replied beaming with joy.  
“Now what do you think you’re doing?” Roman said creeping down the stairs. 
“Uh, nothing I was putting her back, I gave her a little break” Leo said, clearly stumbling over his words.  
“Oh, you scared me for a second there brother, I thought you had fallen for this prude.” As both Leo and Roman’s words stung her so, none would compare to what happened next. "Creek” the stairs groaned as he was walking down.  
“So that’s the girl, just as beautiful as I remember, so sad her mother couldn’t join us,” his voice echoing as he got closer.  

“Boss” both Leo and Roman said as they bowed to the pale, round man.  
“How do you know my mother, who are you?” she screeched at the man.  
“Oh, but the mother you know isn’t true, why she adopted you.” The cheerfulness and rhyme in his tone angered her even more.  
“So, so she really is the true heir?” Leo asked.  
“Leo what are you talking about?”  
“I didn’t want to tell you sweet face, because I didn’t want you to think that was the reason I fell in love with you, I only found out an hour ago-”  
“Just tell me!” she interrupted  
“Well-”  
“You are the queen’s daughter, fruit of her affair, you have royal blood coursing through your veins” Roman said. “You are the heir; your reign is that of this land.”  
“Where are we?” she asked  
“Wisteria.” 

“Crash!” She fell to the floor, Leo quickly sprung before her head hit the ground. With Leo now holding her close she could no longer bear it, she felt as though her stomach was going to explode, along with her mentality. She screamed, balling into Leo’s chest.  
“There, there sweet face I know, I know” the tone of his normally masculine voice was now full of sorrow. Sorrow you could sense. Sorrow that lingered. 
“Wash up little one, we have guests soon” the man said.  
“Boss, come on, at least tell her your name, please?” Leo reasoned.  
“Fine, as you wish, I mean you are the future king, I am Kai, me and my daughter are also in relation to you. You are my goddaughter, I have had Leo and Roman move mountains to find you, obviously not to fall in love with you, ahem, Leo, but that is just how things ended up. Now, off you go we don’t want our guest of honor being late.” Kai said. As she came out of the shower, Leo was standing there covering his eyes.  
“I uh-, Boss told me to let you know this is your permanent room now, oh- and the clothes on the bed have been prepared for you, your first royal supper, you ready?” She sighed as she politely told him to leave. On the bed was a Periwinkle Silk dress, she smiled at the fact that he remembered Periwinkle was her favorite color.  
Two strands of her hair were braided and pinned to form a crown, small Hydrangeas, also her favorite, were placed in her hair as well. “Guess I am ready” she said as she stepped out of the room to find Leo and Roman. “You boys look quite dapper, don’t you?” both of them seemed astonished at her “new look.” Leo helped her down the long staircase and kissed her forehead before they entered.  

“Behold the new heir, Elizabeth Willows, soon to be queen, escorted by her young lover, Leonel- Jouse Slone, and his brother, Roman Elijah Slone.”  
“Leonel-Jouse Slone?” she said while looking him in the eyes.  
“Well y-yeah, I have two first names ok-okay?” said Leo, clearly flustered. The dinner was a sucess, but after she couldn’t help but feel, empty. Now sitting under a purple blossom tree, still in her dress and all the glam. 
 “I’m sorry” Leo said as he approached her, the dewy pearls of tears that had begun to fill her eyes, were starting to flow faster the before. 
 “I-it’s just that, what if I can’t live up to their standards of a queen?”  
“It’s okay, because I will be right there, next to you, I am scared too, what if they do not accept me as your.... boyfriend?” She flinched at that word, growing up she had always fancied romance novels, but even with that fascination, she couldn’t bring herself to fall in love, let alone believe in it. Elizabeth’s slight jerk to the idea of Leo being her boyfriend not only offended him but pained his heart. 
“Well fine, sorry for assuming you felt what I did, sorry I fell in love with you!” Leo said as he stormed off. She took her heels off and ran behind him. She felt it in her stomach, a feeling she once thought she could only read about, butterflies. Once she caught up to Leo, she hugged him from behind, but this hug meant more to her, because it was a hug between two people who loved each other.  

Now, with her arms around his waist, he felt it too, the warmth of being cared for. “I don’t love you Leo” she said, “I’m in love with you, I could love anybody, I could love my newly found kingdom, but you, Leo I am in love with you, and I plan to love you till the end of time, till there is no more stars of two, in which they will align, and those stars will be us.” Suddenly, Leo turned around and held her close, teary eyed, happy tears.  
“Would you mind if we stay like this for a little while?” Leo sniffled,  
“Of course, not” she said.  
Roman was unknowingly behind a bush, subconsciously staring at their embrace. He too had grown to fancy Elizabeth, whether he knew it or not. Roman without a doubt had feelings for his brother’s lady. Days had passed and Elizabeth was in Europe for meetings with her allied royalty, all women, or men in their late 30s- early 40s, who had been ruling for quite some time. Still, in every photograph snapped of the new queen of wisteria, Leo, her young lover was right beside her.  
When she returned, he could not contain himself, he arranged a light dinner with her just so that he could have a moment alone with her, to tell her how he felt. Roman had everything ready, Pine and Rose-hip candles, white rose trail leading all the way to the hidden garden, it looked and smelled as if Mother Nature was rooting for him. Then, there she was, her silky chestnut hair shined against the deep red velvety gown she had on, this was heaven. Until it was not, behind her was Leo, dressed in an all-black suit, his best clothes in Roman’s eyes. As confused as Roman was, he allowed Leo to join.

“My dear brethren (Leo was accustoming himself to talking in a formal tone to please the kingdom, furthermore, accepting him as their eventual king).”  
“We have some news for you that we hope will leave you most content” Elizabeth said.  
“We are going to the prime minister tomorrow to be officially wed,” they said in unison ultimately crushing Roman’s heart. Immediately he ran out of the room, no regard for their feelings, not that it mattered. He was more hurt then they ever could be.  
“Why that was a reaction I was not expecting” said Elizabeth.  
“I expected it, it is not great news to hear that the woman you have feelings for is getting married” Leo said.  
“Wait, what are you talking about, Roman does not have feelings for me, last time I checked he loathed me entirely, no sense of even being alright standing next to me” she curiously asked.  
“Nope, he’s down right in love with you, I’ve never seen my brother fall for someone so hard” Leo said.  
“Wow, so you knew how he felt and you still decided to tell him about our marriage? What is wrong with you Leo, that is so messed up. Honestly, why would you ever think of bringing harm to Roman like that?” Elizabeth snickered.  
“Don’t you get it Lizzy, Roman has always gotten everything he has ever wanted, I have always been neglected, but now that I have fallen in love, he wants to take that away too. You are the one thing that is mine, the one thing he finally cannot have, and I couldn’t be happier for him to at least feel an ounce of the pain I used to feel every single day” said Leo as he strolled out of the dining room, oblivious to what Elizabeth thought of the situation. 

The next morning Roman woke up dazed, the night before had been a blur, all he remembered was that the one, his one, the only one he thought was actually worthy of capturing his heart was about to marry another, his brother. Well, he had two options, be supportive and die alone with his brother being able to brag about winning Elizabeth’s heart, or he could fight for the girl, and Roman who has always been rough around the edges knew what he had to do. 
Elizabeth arose that morning wondering in Leo genuinely loved her, they had been through so much together and so many tests of their love, yet on the day she was about to marry him, she pondered if he only had wanted to be with her for ulterior motives. Was it just for show, all to become king? All to rub it in Roman’s face? She didn’t know, all she knew was that she hoped she was wrong. She had no time left to wonder about it, she had to be ready, she was to leave and meet the prime minister to say her wedding vows and be married to a Slone and possibly, the wrong one. 
Finally, he was ready, in a navy blue tuxedo with white and silver accent pieces, all apart of his efforts to convince Elizabeth she was making a mistake. Roman walked out to the main hall of the palace, Kai (Elizabeth’s godfather) greeted him.  
“Do you know where Lizzy went boss, I need to speak with her immediately” Roman asked.  
“Why yes I do, our precious queen just left to be married, oh how I’ve waited for this day, me and my daughter Kia couldn’t be happier,” said Kai. “She even asked Kia to be her maid of honor, oh what joy that has brought me” those words furthermore broke Roman’s heart, as his brother could be minutes closer to becoming king, and Roman could be minutes closer to losing Elizabeth for good.  
Roman dashed for the main doors, as they busted open he could see Elizabeth’s carriage in the distance, could he still make it in time, tell her how in love he is, tell her she needs to be with him and not his brother. He didn’t care because all that he had to do now was get there or die trying. Kia’s carriage was trotting behind him, 
 “Mr. Slone? Are you in need of assistance?” She hollered from behind him.  
“Yes, please Kia, I’m begging you I need to catch up to Elizabeth, please Kia, I’ve known you all your life, just please trust me on this one!” Roman begged.  
“Why Mr. Slone I’ve never heard you so desperate, well hop on then,” said Kia. “SLAP” the sound of the whips hitting the horses bothered Leo almost to his breaking point, but he had to get to Elizabeth, no matter what it took, he would be sure to have a talk with Kia about animal cruelty strictly after. The wind in his hair, the grin plastered on Kia’s face as they were rushing to get to her, it felt like destiny, he was sure Lizzy and him were destined to be. 

“STOP!” Kia barked at Elizabeth’s carriage. Lizzy popped her head out. 
“Kia what are you doing! Wait, Roman?”  
“Elizabeth, we need to talk, now.” Roman hoped this would work, it was all he could do at this point. 
“I don’t want to hear it Roman, just sit there and hold your tongue” Elizabeth said. Roman was now sitting in front of the woman that was betrothed to his brother, a woman he was in love with. 
 “Lizzy, come on, at least try to hear my side?” Roman pleaded.  
“Do you think Leo never told me, how you always got everything you wanted leaving him behind, did you really have no care for Leo’s feelings whatsoever?” Elizabeth replied.  
“Yes, I did, okay? It was not my fault my Leo’s father was a deadbeat and mine was not, our mother was dead Elizabeth, and my father was just looking out for his own, I tried so hard to have a good relationship with Leo, he just refused to hear me out, which is why I need you to, right now before it’s too late” 
 Roman’s display of despair was touching to Elizabeth so she decided to hear him out, especially because Leo had never mentioned their mothers passing or the fact that they had separate fathers although now it seemed slightly more obvious, Roman’s tan-ish skin tone, double eyelids, and tightly curled hair, and Leo’s darkly colored almond shaped eyes, deep fluffy hair, and olive under-toned skin. “I have never admitted to having feelings towards anyone, not even my own family, but you Elizabeth you changed me without even trying, I don’t want to say I live you because it’s not that simple, you are my home, I love everything about you, your aesthetically pleasing style, how you dress, how you act, how much you care about everything and everyone. Has Leo even ever told you why he loves you, or is the fact that he tried to liberate you from your godfather before you were about to be named queen enough evidence? All I need is a chance, explore your relationship with me, which is all I’m asking, and if it does not work out, I will leave you alone. For the rest of my live, until the kingdom of wisteria is no more”  

Roman and Elizabeth’s similarity of just speaking was at least enough to make her realize she was rushing into this too fast, she was doing great ruling alone, her kingdom would understand why she was not to be wed so soon, she was sure if it. She called Leo and told him to meet her under the stars, their two stars.  
“What’s wrong my love, why did we cancel the meeting of our wedding license with the minsters, are you feeling alright darling?” Leo said, and that is when it hit him, “Don’t tell me that, tell me anything but that, you’ve fallen in love with my brother, haven’t you!” said Leo sobbing.  
“I’m sorry, but it’s way more complicated than that, Leo, why do you love me”  
“Oh great, simply perfect, he got in your head Lizzy, now he’s got you questioning my love for you, what’s up with that, you know what I think you should leave” Leo said,  
“Wait I-” 
“Just get out!” Leo shouted. 
Elizabeth was now sobbing on the floor of her palace, Kai and his daughter Kia, owners of the palace noticed her on the floor and rushed towards her.  
“What is the matter, Liz?” Kia asked. 
 “My dear goddaughter, now let’s get up off the floor so you can tell us what it is that’s wrong,” said Kai.  
“I might have just lost both of them, for good.” Elizabeth sniffled.  
“They are dead?” Kai shouted.  
“NO!” Kia responded.  
“Well, if they are not dead, you have not lost them for good, my sweet girl, you are probably just overthinking things, I am sure you will be fine, you can talk to them in the morning, but this is not a time of day to be sobbing on the floor, darling child let us get you off to bed” 
 Kai lectured her all the way to bed about how even the happiest people bicker. Kia and Kai were the best at speaking respectfully, at such a natural pace too, they might have been better off upholding the thrown than Elizabeth was.  

As she attempted to drift away in her dreams Elizabeth could only ponder about was how much everything had changed. Kai, a man who once hated her because of the trail Elizabeth as an innocent child took her mother on, who had just been so warm and comforting towards her, now reminding her of the father she wished she had once had. Kia, now her best friend, a shy, timid girl who had once upon a time had feared Elizabeth, now the loudest, funniest, and craziest person she knew. Wisteria, a kingdom her adoptive mother told her was full of people who would never accept people like them, the poor stay-at-home spouse style was above them. Then, that is when it hit her, the kingdom that had turned her way when she was just a child, now lying under her rule. Elizabeth’s mother was dead, yes, but where were her children? Was Elizabeth the only true heir, each queen must produce a successor, there was no way that Lizzy had been the only one or her mother would not have stayed on the thrown for long if she refused to bear children.  
The next morning Elizabeth could not forget about the discovery that her mother had not had at least another child after stepping onto the throne. At this point she did not care about anything but this. If she had some type of sibling, she would not have to step in as queen so soon. Sadly, her detective work had to come to a halt, she had to choose a suitor to marry, as her kingdom was growing quite impatient in her unrequited love triangle. “So, who’s it going to be? Me, or the loser” Roman grunted.  
“I can’t believe this is even a choice, Lizzy, you love me, I know you do, so can’t we get out of here and get married, all I want is to be able to put this ring, on your finger, and for you to never take it off.” Leo pouted. 
Suddenly with those words all her troubles melted away, it was just so freeing, a weight she had carried since she had been born, a type of veil she had worn since being taken from her kingdom. All shattered, gone, forever. Her plan to choose herself was undeniably wrong. She dropped her crown and ran toward Leo. His arms were wide, and he was grinning. Elizabeth was extremely happy, she was uncontrollably smiling, teeth and all. “My king” she whispered in Leo’s ear. 
“My love, my everything” Leo whispered back.  

Roman dropped his flowers and left, Elizabeth and Leo both agreed that they would not be seeing him for a while. Although Leo visibly liked it that way. They strolled to their carriage that had been awaiting them. On October 18th, they were officially wed. Years later, Elizabeth still had no luck in finding out whether she had a long-lost sibling. Well, it no longer mattered, she was happy with her now growing family. She had now welcomed her fourth child into the world, Harmony. “A name as beautiful as out new little princess” said Leo, coddling her. 
“Is mom going to favor her like she did with Koa?” asked Minnie, the now second youngest princess of Wisteria, Leo had named her after his late mother.  
“I am sure your mother will love you equally, just like before Min” Leo replied.  
“She won’t still love us?” said Koa whining. 
“Why of course I will love you all the same Min, do not put those ideas in Koa’s head.” said Elizabeth in her “stern mother” voice.  
“Now, where is he?” Kia and Kai said unanimously. 
Their eldest was preparing himself to be crowned head knight. She couldn’t contain herself, he was finally leaving the nest, he had been a big part of her life, she had even named him after her story about how she came to reign. Rain. 

HM” Rain’s scream was muffled.  
“So, you are telling me this is my grandson?” said a female voice in a deep tone. 
“One of them at least” Roman replied. 
THE END....TO BE CONTINUED.