Skeleshift | Teen Ink

Skeleshift

August 26, 2011
By INKorporated GOLD, Auckland, Other
More by this author
INKorporated GOLD, Auckland, Other
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note: I was bored... so I wrote this.

Prologue

The black rain pelted against everything in the dense forest; the jutting flax, the twisted undergrowth, and the exotic canopy of swaying trees above. It also bounced off Temur’s slimy scalp. He didn’t care. He was poised in the bush, with long fingers stiffly curled around a spear and a wild look in his eyes. To any human the conditions would blind them, and in the thick woods they would be slow. But to Temur, a Gimbla, rain only enhanced his senses and he was built to move swiftly through the bush. He smiled to himself, tonight would be perfect for hunting. The rain and the wind would mask any sound or scent. To Temur it was just another typical hunting night that occurred at every full moon.
Temur’s prey, a Cyron, was completely unaware he was there. The beast had a long tongue and a pointed snout. Dark armour padding gleamed when lightning flashed. The Cyron was grazing on some kind of plant. Even when Temur accidentally made the bushes rustle the animal didn’t hear him through the wind. But Temur still didn’t dare make a sound after that. In his head he counted down from five in his own language. His eyes widened every time went down a number. But just as Temur was about to spring onto the helpless animal, a wail echoed through the forest. At first
4
Temur thought it was the wind or some kind of bird, but it was too loud and it scared away Temur’s victim. Startled, a flock of giant moths hissed and fluttered away. They struggled as the fat drops of rain burst on their delicate wings. The strange sound continued droning through the weather. Temur waited the sound of the moths thumping their wings was inaudible, and then stumbled out of the scrub.
Temur weaved nimbly through the plants, the sound guiding him. He avoided the dangerous flora and halted when he saw a bundle of drenched blankets. He tilted his head to one side. It was almost fully hidden amongst a large area of ferns. Temur flinched when it moved and caused the ferns to sway noiselessly. He hesitated, then peered over the bundle. What he saw inside made him shrink back in horror. There, inside the blankets was some kind of creature. It looked normal enough, two eyes, a mouth, and a nose. Except everything about it was smaller, including its tiny ears. And instead of the normal green colour, it had a pink face, with red rings around its eyes from bawling.
What kind of thing could this be? Temur pondered. He went through a list of possibilities, and then settled on “a miniature chubby pink imp.” He nodded, satisfied with his clarification, and picked it up. He was surprised by how heavy it was and nearly dropped it. The creature broke into a loud
5
series of sobs, screams, and wails. Temur steadied himself, and then carried the thing back to his home. It was a small hole dug out of the side of a tree. Inside were only two rooms, one with a large fireplace made of stone and an undersized bed. The second room was even smaller, piled with valuable things. There were golden leaves and black feathers, old swords and piles of rough drawings. The hole was quite humid, so the sheets were a bit damp and the flames from the fireplace barely licked over the timber and the dry grass.
As Temur neared home, he noticed the creature had gone silent in his arms, and its little chest rose up and down slowly. Sleeping thought Temur.
As he ambled through the entrance of his hole Temur decided he would call it Aderyn – because the sound it made was like that of an injured bird. He carried it to his shack and told his wife, Kaira, nodding at the bundle he held in his arms as he spoke. They stripped him of his sopping blankets and discovered he was a boy. They also discovered an old-fashioned pen in his pudgy grasp. Temur gently took it from Aderyn and examined it. It was in the shape of a skeleton, and its silver surface shifted with light when it was turned.
For almost an hour they argued in hushed voices they agreed they would reveal Aderyn to the tribe in the next morning, but they would keep the pen secret. Besides, they might be
6
able to get some well needed food from it. It looked valuable. Kaira laid Aderyn down on one of the moss mattresses amongst all of Temur’s valuables and wrapped him in a sheet of warm Anari hide. He yawned, displaying a tiny pink tongue and four blunt teeth.
I just hope he is accepted into our tribe. Kaira and Temur thought in unison as Aderyn’s soft breathing soothed them to a slumber.







7
Chapter 1

Aderyn Strimble was not your ordinary boy. At least he wasn’t to the Gimbla. The Gimblan race was short, with big eyes and toad-like grins. The only difference between them and toads was the Gimbla had piercing teeth and extended ears that resembled leaves. And the Gimbla walked on two feet like humans. Aderyn however, was almost the opposite. Aderyn had pale pink skin, unlike the Gimbla’s muddy green colour, and the tallest Gimbla reached above his hips. Aderyn also had smaller hazel-coloured eyes that were almost golden. He had dark brown hair, while none of the Gimbla had even a strand of it. All of the other children had tugged at it, hoping it would rip off. One time they had pulled so hard a giant clump had come off. And then they had run away with it to show everyone else.
Now Aderyn stood in front of his Mother, his back cramped in a horrible posture and his hand clutched around a pen in his pocket. He wore a jacket made from Anari hide, and shorts made of Trockmin leaves. The shorts were held up by several criss-crossing belts with large buckles. A sack was tossed over his shoulder.
“Be a dear and deliver this message for me please.” His
8
Mother, Kaira said in a bubbly, sing-song kind of voice. Kaira was almost wider than she was high, and wore a maroon dress complete with a grimy white apron. A pale fur scarf was draped over her thick shoulders. She struck out her hand, a letter written scrappily on a piece of bark in her grasp. For a while he just stared at her chubby fingers, and then took it absentmindedly.
“Thank you”, Kaira’s mouth melted into a watery smile. Aderyn bent over to briefly peck his Mum on the forehead.
“When you get back we can celebrate your Founding Night”, promised Kaira. Aderyn smiled to himself. His “Founding Day” was similar to his birthday; except it wasn’t the day he was born. It was the night that Temur was found in the forest. Every year they had celebrated it with a giant feast. One year Temur had brought back an animal that was so big it wouldn’t fit in the doorway, so they ate outside with a campfire.
Aderyn had to stoop low to get out of his home, which was built into the roots of a huge tree. He is getting too big for our dwelling, thought Kaira as she closed the door behind him. For twelve years he had slept on the floor, with nothing more to soften the ground then a thin moss mattress. Now Aderyn could stretch out on the floor and touch the opposite wall with his fingertips. Even the fireplace, which dominated most of the room, seemed small next him.
9
Aderyn stepped onto the grass. Because of the huge trees, only patches of sunlight escaped the canopy and streamed down onto the forest floor. So even at midday the woods were dark.
Aderyn forgot about the message and leaped onto each patch of sunlight, grinning as he went. The patches got smaller and smaller, until there were none left at all. When he looked back, he was surprised to see that the patches had disappeared because the sun had sunk much lower. The trees had become gnarled and they stood much closer together. The branches coiled up towards the sky and then flourished into pointed leaves that were a barrier for any daylight. Only then did Aderyn remember the leaf and hastily rummage through his bag to find it. How could I be so stupid! He thought, cursing to himself.
Once he did find it, Aderyn spent a very long time trying to decipher the scribbles on the leaf. But before he could translate the whole thing a gust of wind blew it out of his hand. It flipped over and soared gracefully out of reach. Aderyn jumped to reach it but dirt got in his eye. The leaf was forgotten as he fell to the ground, trying to get out the dirt. He flicked it off his eye, blinked his eyes a few times and sighed. He was completely lost. Aderyn had always had a memory span of a rock. He kicked the ground, and tripped. A stone on the ground cut his hand and he swore violently as
10
dark blood oozed from his palm. He couldn’t use the sun to get home, because he couldn’t see it through the trees. And what if I have wandered into someone else territory? The thought struck him like a dart.
The answer to Aderyn’s thoughts crashed out of the bushes yelling. Gimblan children surrounded him – poised.
“GET HIM!” one of them screamed. They all leaped at him at once.
There was a blur of tooth and claw and Aderyn winced as he got bite marks and scratches all over his face and limbs. His jacket was torn to shreds and left in the soil. Several of them were tugging at locks of his hair. Aderyn cried out when they bent back one of his fingers so far it made a sickening sound. He was shocked to taste blood in his mouth. They’re taking this way too far, thought Aderyn as they ripped out strands of hair. Just when Aderyn thought it was all over, his saviour clinked out of his pocket. It was his pen.
“STOP!” shouted the leading Gimbla. They all stopped and stepped away. Aderyn recognised the leader as Yulrik Tyryron, from one of the rich tribes. He was the same age as Aderyn, with a bloated stomach and golden leaves woven into a poncho by the most talented tailor. He looked ridiculous.
11
Aderyn lay helplessly on the ground, with bald patches in his hair, a black eye, and blood trickling down the corner of his mouth. His breath rushed out of his throat and made a choking rattling noise.
Aderyn reached out to grab his pen, but before could get to it the leader stamped on his hand and snatched it up. He examined its metallic, silver colour, and the shape. It had been crafted to look like a skeleton. “Strange, it’s too expensive looking to be coming from scum like you. Bet you stole it!” The leader marched around him a few times, an ugly smirk embedded into his face. “When I heard you swear I knew instantly it was you. That winy pathetic tone could only come from a Strimble, the most deprived family in all of Albavion.” Aderyn felt his cheeks flush with rage. “You are so weak, and puny. And you don’t belong here, you should never been accepted into your tribe!” he spat. He stared at Aderyn with disgust. Then, without warning, he plunged his fist towards Aderyn’s bloodied face. Everything was in slow-motion. Despite Aderyn’s gashes and bruises, the closer Yulrik’s fist got the stronger he felt. He felt his anger boil up inside him. He felt a burning energy pulsing through his veins. Then he felt himself shift. He watched as the cells on his hands vibrated and reallocate into a giant clawed appendage. He transformed into a huge beast. The fist bounced harmlessly off his muscle. Aderyn had been told stories about many animals from far away when he was younger, and he
12
had used descriptions to shape-shift into a hybrid of all of them. He had the armour of a Cyron, the body of a Polar Panther, and the head and claws of an Aronagator. It was the most lethal combination possible. This can’t be normal thought Aderyn as the rest of the Gimbla ran away shrieking.
Aderyn lashed out with his claws and struck Yulrik’s chest, slightly surprised with his abilities. He screamed and leapt away, blood spilling out from his torso. A long string of swearing fled from his lips. He stood up and continued to curse at Aderyn, tears streaming down his cheeks. Yulrik got louder and louder until he was screaming at Aderyn. But Aderyn had had enough. A thunderous roar echoed across the whole forest. Yulrik squealed and sprinted out of sight, blubbing nonsense the whole way. Once Aderyn was sure he was alone he collapsed in the mud, back into his human form. Immense pain throbbed throughout his whole body. He shuddered and his head swam. What did I just do? was Aderyn’s last thought as pain and darkness engulfed him.





13
Chapter 2

Aderyn awoke breathing heavily and drenched in sweat. He lay where he had fallen, and the mud on his face had dried into a thick crust. A grass blade brushed against his chin and the events from before flowed back into his head. He cried out as he stood up, pain shot up his leg. Aderyn bent down and grabbed his pen, which had been abandoned in the grass. Although it was dark, the pen still shimmered.
The patches of light had come back, except this time they were from the moon. They streamed through the trees and made a silvery pool on the ground, like a heavenly spotlight. Aderyn stumbled back home - tripping many times along the way. Lunar tulips danced in the breeze and Aderyn was sure he had accidentally stepped on a few crickets as he went. In the distance yellow light from the fireplace poured onto the forest floor. He staggered in the doorway and heard his Mother gasp. Kaira was very short, but she was strong, and just managed to catch Aderyn before he fell to the ground. With help from Temur she lifted him up and carried him to his moss mattress in the spare room. Blood trickled from the corner of Aderyn’s lips. He whispered to Temur about the fight, and told him in full detail. Temur listened intently.
Temur had no time to react to Aderyn’s tale of the fight,
14
because a tapping came from the door. Kaira peeked through the keyhole and shuddered. Outside was the tribe leader, Galen Syrontor. For a Gimbla he had quite sharp features, and he was the tallest Gimbla ever, reaching Aderyn’s shoulder. Many thought he had Elven blood in him. Kaira took a deep breath, and swung the door open with a bright smile. “Good evening All Mighty Galen”, she was sure Galen would believe her cheerful act.
Galen however, was not convinced, “Don’t waste your words on sweet talk, Mrs Strimble, and clear that false smile off your face”, he ordered without even a hint of emotion. Kaira’s smile faded. Without any permission, Galen walked into their house; speaking again. His brow furrowed as he talked. “The time has come for Aderyn, I am afraid, Temur promised, twelve years.”
Kaira’s eyes widened. “But we were just beginning to-”
“Quiet! You seem to have forgotten what we do to people who break promises. Would you rather be put to death?”
Temur had been listening silently at the back wall. “I refuse to kill him.”
Galen was fuming now, “Don’t tell me you have become tender towards him! If you won’t kill him then I am afraid I must do it myself. And where is the boy anyway?”
Temur hesitated, “He is in the next room, and he is very inj-”
“He’s sleeping,” Kaira finished quickly. She gave a stern look at Temur.
A small grin spread across Galen’s lips. It was obviously something Galen didn’t do much, because it was a dreadful slit etched into his face. “I always knew you kept things from me, but I never knew there would be this much. It took you a month to reveal Aderyn to me, and you have disobeyed my orders, broken promises, and of course, there is the pen you have tried to keep secret for many years.”
Kaira and Temur’s face both stretched into a shocked expression. “You were never supposed to know about that!” howled Temur. But Temur scowled to himself. Galen and Yulrik’s Father, Tirlos, were great friends and Tirlos must have told Galen about the fight. Now Galen would know about not only the pen, but also about Aderyn’s abilities.
Galen seemed to read Temur’s mind, “And yes, I know all about the magic he did too. Tell me, how is that possible when magic run out centuries ago? Where can he draw up the magic when there is none left?”
“I have no idea.”
There was a long silence, and then Galen smiled again. “I will give you a choice. You can be put to death, and I will keep the pen and kill Aderyn, or, Temur kills Aderyn in front of me and I pretend to know nothing of the pen.”
Aderyn had been switching and out of consciousness, but now he was wide awake, listening to Galen’s words. As he threatened Temur, a plan hatched in Aderyn’s mind.
Temur considered Galen’s choices, and glanced at Kaira. She was crying. I don’t want to die, she mouthed to him. Finally Temur spoke, “I guess I will go with the second option, when should I do it?”
“Now”, Syrontor said without hesitation.
Kaira started wailing, tears flooding down her face. Temur nearly choked, “Now?”
Galen nodded, settling the discussion. He pulled a long knife out of his pocket, and handed it to Temur. Sweat rolled down Temur’s forehead. I’m about to slaughter my son. The thought made him gag. But he had to do it, Galen had a knife pressed up against Kaira’s neck, and one wrong move would make Galen slit her throat. So Temur walked into Aderyn’s room, as slow as he dared. He too burst into tears when he saw the lump of Aderyn under the moss mattress. His crying only came out in short gasps, as to not wake Aderyn.
Temur counted down from five in his own language, like on the hunting night he had found Aderyn in the first place. His voice quavered as he whispered the words. When he reached zero, he slammed the knife down onto the lump. As he thought about it, he realised the lump was unmoving, not rising and falling like a sleeping person would. Something is wrong, he decided, but it was too late. There was a noise as the blade dug through the moss, but it wasn’t from a person. Temur’s hand trembled when he hit something hard from underneath the mattress, and it made a clanging noise. Galen rushed over to the mattress. He threw it off. Underneath it was many of Temur’s valuables, all piled up to resemble a human body.
Galen screamed with rage, and it shook the whole tree they were living in. Temur realised the hole in the wall, which was a small tunnel into the open. Aderyn must have hacked through the inside of the tree and the bark must have eventually given way. The wind rushed in and blew all of Temur’s drawing away. He stood motionless, understanding that he would never see Aderyn again.

* * *

Aderyn sprinted through the forest, he had no idea where he was going, and he didn’t care. He felt like nobody loved him. His Father had chosen to kill him rather than die all together. Aderyn hated him for that. The only good thing was he had figured out how his magic worked now; he could change into any other living thing when his adrenalin rushed through him. So when he had heard Temur’s decision he had shifted into an animal with sharp claws to get through the bark of the wall.
The pen was in a tight clasp in his pocket. It can’t be any normal pen he assured himself as he ran. He wasn’t very fast at running, and he would trip at least once every minute. Already he had stubbed nearly all of his toes.

Well... that is it so far... what do you think?



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 2 comments.


SN3RD BRONZE said...
on Nov. 11 2011 at 9:37 pm
SN3RD BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
3 articles 0 photos 60 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'm the bugs bunny, and if you ain't got my carrots, you ain't got nothin' for me!" --Nicki Minaj

I like it! It's very creative and keeps the readers wanting to read more! Want to check out Hunter's Point or Perspective for me?

Knl3398 said...
on Sep. 12 2011 at 6:10 pm
Knl3398, Canton, Texas
0 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
To be nobody but yourself in a world doing its best to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human can ever fight and never stop fighting. -E. E. Cummings

I love it! I think that this is one of the best books on Teen Ink so far! Keep writing :)