Past Apocalypses | Teen Ink

Past Apocalypses

By RemorsefulPrincess BRONZE, Kitchener, Other
RemorsefulPrincess BRONZE, Kitchener, Other

freedom is nothing but a chance to be better-albert comus
monsters are real, ghosts are real, they live inside us and sometimes they win-stephen king
guilt is the cause of more disorders then history's most obscene marorders-e.e cummings

Author's note: My friend had a dream about this and told me about it and i thought i could write it and give it life. The idea kind of sprouted and grew from there and I've been writing and re-writing and adding since then.

Ebony:

Present-
“Run!” I screamed at the family. They were huddled in a corner behind a shelf of cereal. I stood in front of the family, Caden by my side. We were circled in by 5 diseased people. They shuffled along and were slow, but their bites were dangerous and they were wielding garden tools. The man on the left swung his rake around and at the last second I grabbed the end and rammed it forward. The end of the rake shoved through his exposed rib cage. Yellow pus-like liquid poured from the open wound. He moaned at me and tried to bite my neck to spread his sickly disease, but I pulled my knife out of my belt and slashed it across his throat. The knife sliced through his throat cleanly and cut his head right off of his neck before he could sink his teeth into mine. His head rolled over to the feet of the woman next to him and she stumbled over it, Caden sprung into action and pulled the cord on his massive yellow chainsaw to start it up. The saw’s blade spun around and around and he spun it in an arc towards the woman and sliced her through the middle, right in half. Her limbs twitched and then went still. I took the chance and jumped around Caden and cut the other man’s arm off. He shrieked at me and slashed at my side with his clippers, I didn’t react quickly enough and the clippers cut deep into the left side of my torso. I grit my teeth to keep myself from crying out in pain and attracting the attention of other diseased people. The pain from my side radiated through my body and it was almost impossible to concentrate through it. The wound was pouring blood down my side, and I could see the light in the diseased people’s eyes as they smelled the fresh blood; their next meal if we didn’t hurry and kill them all. I pushed through the pain and attacked the man with as much energy as I could muster. He tried to slash me again and I spun around and kicked out my foot at his head. I caught him clear in the middle of his head and I heard a crunch as his head disconnected from the rest of his body and dropped to the floor. His body slumped down to his knees and then hit the floor and went completely still. “Ebony!” Caden cried in panic. The second man was holding him by his shirt and trying to sink his yellowing teeth into Caden’s right arm. I leapt towards them and barrelled into the man knocking him off of his feet. I shoved my carving knife into his side and sliced it straight up to tear him open. Blood and yellow pus oozed out of his side as he shrieked and struggled to get us. He shrieked and shrieked until the pus started foaming at his mouth and running down his face and he slumped to the ground and went still too. Caden had rolled free of the man and went on to attack the last woman. He cut her head off in one wicked slice of his chainsaw, and I could see a cold glint in his eyes. Killing these people was a sport of revenge for him. I whirled around to the shelves where the family was hiding, but they were gone. I doubted that they’d made it out of this grocery store alive. “Caden, were are th-” he cut me off with a “Shh!” I went completely silent at Caden’s hushed warning. We could hear a soft whimpering sound which I assumed was the little boy that was with the family. I could also hear some shuffling and then a loud scream pierced the air. “NO!” I screamed and ran towards the sounds, bracing myself for the worst.

Dominick:

Past-

“Dominick, why don’t you go and get it?” Eli demanded in a whiny voice. Eli was Dominick’s seemingly annoying younger brother. “You hit it over into that bush! You go and get it. Or are you afraid of a little bitty tower?” Dominick replied angrily, sneering at his stupid brother. He was extremely mad at his brother because he’d hit his favourite baseball into a bush next to a large cylindrical tower. The tower was a large, dull grey, menacing building and it cast dark shadows all over the baseball diamond that lay next to it. Dominick had to admit that it freaked him out a bit too. “I’m not scared! I just… just don’t feel like getting it, that’s all!” Eli answered. He stood there trembling, his huge baby blue eyes gazing at the tower warily. He gulped and turned towards his brother, a glint of determination in his eyes as he stared his older brother down. “Wuss,” Dominick muttered under his breath as he brushed past Eli. He walked over to the tower slowly only hesitating slightly when the shadows enveloped him in their dark grasp. The wind picked up around him and blew his shaggy red hair into his eyes. He swallowed his fear and stepped into the bush to find his baseball. The wind tore viscously at the bushes and Dominick had to fight his way through, deeper into the bushes. If only I hadn’t promised to play with Eli my ball wouldn’t have gotten lost Dominick thought angrily. The bush was dark in the center so he had put out his hands on the ground and feel around for his baseball. He could feel the rough bark of twigs and the cool surface of leaves under the palms of his hands as he ran his hands on the ground underneath the bush. His hands brushed over the hard packed earth until they landed on something round. He grabbed it excitedly thinking it was his ball, but it was too large to be his baseball. He pulled the round object out from underneath the bush and pulled it to where he was crouched so he could see what it was through the light filtering through the bushes. The object was the size of a soccer ball and it glowed a sickly lime green colour. Energy pulsated from the glowing round orb, and it warmed Dominick’s hand. The outside of the ball seemed solid and it had strange gold symbols and letters all over it, like an ancient script. The inside seemed like a liquid and it moved around like the goo in a lava lamp does. Dominick stuck his hands back into the bush to see if he could find his baseball, but instead his hands landed on a smooth, cool feeling stick. He pulled it out to observe it in the light. It was a smooth stick covered in the same scrawling golden script as the ball. The end of it split into three prongs; almost like a trident. He stared at the strange items intensely his lost baseball momentarily forgotten.

*****

Ebony:

Past-
I was down the street in a panic. What I’d seen at my house had completely freaked me out and I just wanted to get as far away from there as possible. I couldn’t handle that. Fear was coursing through my veins and gripping my every muscle, pushing me to go further and further. Adrenaline was pumping through my body as I cut through backyard after backyard. I cut across a field and turned down a few side streets until I found a familiar one. I used to walk down this street to go to school and sometimes to visit my grandfather in the prison, which was across the baseball diamond and next to the tower. I always watched the families and the kids playing in the huge field by the baseball diamond. I wished that I could be a part of that too, a loving, caring family. People that could help me make sense of what was going on and help me through it. My own family had never really been like that, but I still missed them very much. I started to slow down; sure I’d be safe here.

*****

As I walked further down the street, I could hear a sound as loud as the thunder that had started crackling above my head. It was then that I noticed a man playing croquet on the baseball diamond. He seemed to be concentrating intensely. Every time the ball came towards him he would pull the club back and swing it wildly, smacking the small coloured balls to a point in the distance. He just stood there whacking ball after ball making an ear-splitting crack every time he hit one. I stood there and watched, mesmerized by his game. I also noticed I wasn’t the only one. There was a circle of people closing in on him. Something about the other people watching his game seemed menacing. He took no notice and just kept on swinging. I thought to call to him to watch out. Just as I was about to call to him he looked up. It was as if he had read my thoughts. We locked eyes and he winked and grinned at me. Stranger yet, he didn’t seem to be taken aback at the people slowly closing in and trapping him. This time as he went to swing he took aim with his club, lined up the ball, and swung at it. His ball arched up and through the air and caught one of the surrounding people in the forehead. Its head snapped back with a sickening crunching sound. All you could see was bone and torn flesh and yellow oozing pus while blood poured out of its neck. I stood there and watched the deadly game and the man as he struck ball after ball, hitting person after person.

*****

I walked on further down the street and every step I took further from my house tore apart my heart. Each step was more painful than the last. I was halfway down the street when the wind picked up and whipped my blonde hair around my face and blew the tears out of my green eyes. I’d gone home to see my family. They had just gotten home from spending the weekend up at our cottage near Lake Arable. I’d stayed home to study for my English finals. They should have stayed at the cottage; at least they could have been safe there… I thought to myself sadly. When I’d first gone home the car was in the driveway and I could see the T.V on through the window. I opened the door expecting a warm greeting and the familiar smells of a home cooked meal. Instead I opened the door to the smell of rotting flesh and the all too familiar metallic tang of fresh blood. The house was a complete mess. The china cabinets were shattered and the plates and cups and bowls from it were smashed all around the room. There were holes in the walls and wiring was poking out through them. Some bodies were strewn around the living room, and there were smears of blood on the walls and floors, and food thrown everywhere. I stood at the door shell shocked and frightened. I was rooted to the spot until I noticed a small body; that of a boy about five years old in the tangled mess. In his hand he clutched a sharp butcher’s knife that was soaked in blood. Even in death he seemed to be trying to protect something. He’d always been that way, always trying to protect something. I lifted the limp, battered, lifeless body of my brother out of the mess and held him in my lap. He was covered in bloody gashes and bruises and his arm twisted out at an odd angle from his body. Blood pooled around where he was lying and soaked through his clothes. I held his small broken body close to me and stroked his cheek and his hair as I softly cried. “I love you, Alex” I murmured in my brother’s ear. I lay him down again carefully. He looked so fragile among the broken chunks of furniture and food strewn everywhere. It was only then that I noticed the broken, bloodied bodies of my mother and father. They were dead too. I was in the middle of the wreckage of my childhood home, my family all dead around me and I broke down and sobbed. A part of me was broken in their absence and I would never be whole again.

*****

I vowed to find whoever had killed my family. They too would feel the emptiness and loneliness I now felt. They would pay; of that I was sure. I walked aimlessly down the street, not knowing what to do now that everything I had ever loved was gone. As I walked further and got back to the main area of town I slowed down a bit. Further down the street I noticed a man holding a pair of gigantic hedge clippers. He was trimming his bushes, but as I drew nearer he stopped and turned towards me. I hesitated and then continued to pass him. He ambled closer to me as I walked along. I felt uncomfortable under his stare. I passed the tall bushes that line the side of his quaint little house, and he followed me. A short bald man stood in front of the home on the other side of the bushes admiring his house. I knew him as Mr. Stuart because my friend lived a few doors down from him and she told me that he was a little strange. I started to pass across his lawn so I could hide in someone’s backyard. Then I wouldn’t have to stay on the street where I felt followed. Just as I got a few feet across the lawn Mr. Stuart turned towards me and exclaimed. “Isn’t my house lovely? I think it’s just splendid!” The man with the hedge clippers stood a few feet from me and as Mr. Stuart turned again to admire his house he lunged towards me clippers open and ready for attack.

*****

I stood frozen to the spot as I watched the attack play out in front of me in slow motion. As the man drew closer to me clippers poised and ready to cut, Mr. Stuart turned around. He had saved my life without even realizing it. He said “Do you think I should put in some more plants?,” just as the man hid his clippers behind his back as if he wanted no one to see him attack me with them. Mr. Stuart turned back to face his house, but then swung around again as an afterthought. “Trees or flowers?” He said looking at us as if expecting us to answer him. The other man had whipped out the clippers again to advance on me, but Mr. Stuart turning around so suddenly startled him and he dropped the hedge clippers. The metal blades shone in the sun’s rays. I took a chance and grabbed the clippers off of the lawn. I held them out defensively in front of me, to keep the other man back. He stepped towards me. “Don’t!” I growled. When Mr. Stuart turned back towards his house to decide where to put the trees and flowers, I jumped at the man. The clipper’s blades were extremely long and sharpened to a point and the blade’s edge connected with his wrist, cleanly severing his hand off.

*****

He hid the bloody stub behind his back so that Mr. Stuart wouldn’t notice it. It was almost as if he’d done something bad and didn’t want to be caught. He didn’t seem fazed by his missing hand, he hadn’t even cried out when I’d sliced through the flesh and bone in his wrist! It seems like he felt nothing at all. Maybe he didn’t; who was I to know? I only knew after all of this went down that something strange was happening around here. The man who had the clippers before I’d taken them from him turned and pointed to a spot by the house below a second story window and said ``Put a maple tree there it should be able to grow and prosper. ´´ Mr. Stuart stood stunned and I thought maybe he had noticed the bloody stump or the hand lying on his perfectly manicured lawn. Instead he exclaimed ``Brilliance! ´´ Genius indeed kind sir! Thank you. I shall plant one there in your honour, for helping me to make my home more splendid! ´´ I stared at them, their easy chit-chat stunning after the violence the first man had shown. Something strange was definitely going on, if people were so oblivious and acting so crazily. I slowly walked backwards away from the crazy pair, trying to escape. Mr. Stuart spun around again and turned towards me, his eyes bugging out of his head as he looked at me through their cloudy haze. He started gurgling and the 2 of the stumbled closer gritting their teeth and twitching their limbs. I backed up further and with more urgency scared of what they were going to do to me. Then out of nowhere they both started running towards me more quickly and hands grabbed me from behind. They pulled me into a car and I started screaming and kicking and thrashing trying to free myself from this new attacker, the hedge clippers blade whacking him in the face and it cut a huge gash into his face from his eyebrow down to his jaw. He cried out and clutched his face. ``Stop! ´´ He screamed covering himself for protection. I looked at him and realized he had saved me and was probably trying to protect me. I put the clippers down and stopped kicking and screaming trusting that he wouldn’t hurt me. The other two men were outside clawing at the car, which I noticed was a charcoal black Hummer, with tinted windows. The guy I attacked in the car held a piece of cloth to his face to stop the blood from flowing and he jumped back into the front seat and floored the car, leaving the crazy, bloody guy with the hedge clippers and Mr. Stuart behind.

*****

Ebony:

Present-
I’m starting to remember things in bits and pieces now, but on thing I know is that this is only the start of my adventures and the things that I must do; and there’s worse to come….

Ebony:

Present-
My name is Ebony. I am a Seeker. Part of a new generation, or at least that’s what Dominick tells me. I honestly don’t know if anything that he tells me is true; but I trust him so I trust that what he tells me is the truth too. Or at least as much of the truth that he can tell me…
He was the guy that I attacked in the Hummer, the one who saved me from the crazy hedge clipper guy. He saved my life that day and for that I owe him. This is the story of my life, and what’s become of it; starting that day long ago when he saved me. It’s the story of our lives.

Ebony:

Past-
I woke up in a cold sweat. The room was pitch black. My heart was thudding in my chest. The only light in the room came from a sliver of moonlight on the balcony. When I realized I was safe my heart started to slow down slightly. I tried to remember where I was and what had happened that had gotten me here. I could hear a soft snoring sound coming from nearby. I turned onto my side and noticed a boy splayed across a couch that was pushed against a wall on the opposite side of the room. He seemed so quiet and serene and I didn’t want to wake him. I sat up and slid my feet into the floor. The marble stone beneath my bare feet was cool against my hot and sweaty skin. I stood up and tip-toed over to the balcony carefully so I wouldn’t make a sound. I slid open the door and stepped outside. The cool evening air greeted me and hugged my skin clammy skin. I stepped towards the railing so I could see my surroundings. I gasped. I knew where I was. It was the tall silver tower by the croquet field where I had seen the man playing not too long ago. The field was no empty and quiet. It seemed a little bit eerie. Next to the tower was a massive bush. Sitting in front of the bus were two strange objects. They sat next to each other, but from this distance I couldn’t make out anything other than the fact that they were glowing. None of these things concerned me though. The most concerning thing was the large, stone gray building that was illuminated by floodlights. It sat within walking distance of the tower. The entire thing was surrounded by guard houses and ten foot tall walls of barbed wire. I could hear the fizz of electricity pulsing through them even from this distance. That’s no ordinary fence I thought to myself. It’s meant to keep people in. That’s when I noticed the dirt `moat´ around the building. Even if someone got out they would fall into that pit and I doubted that they’d ever return. This ugly building was a massive prison. I didn’t want to know who was inside, especially considering how much security the place had. I felt a warm hand on my shoulder. I flinched and pulled away. ``Sorry.´´ a voice mumbled. The voice belonged to the boy on the couch, I realized; the one who’d saved me before. ``Don’t worry. They can’t get out.´´ he said motioning to the jail. I looked back towards the prison and shivered. I didn’t know if it was from the thought of the convicts being so close to where we were or from being here with this strange boy I didn’t know but couldn’t help feeling close to.

*****

Dominick:

Past-
Out on the balcony the moonlight shone on her, making her glow softly. Her blond hair shone golden and her emerald green eyes shimmered. Her pale skin was illuminated by the beautiful light. She was slender and small. She seemed fragile too; as if she would break when the slightest wind blew. ``Everything will be alright. I can promise you that.´´ he told her wanting to get rid of the sadness that always seemed to shroud around her like a thick, choking fog. Her eyes brightened a bit and then dimmed again as if she were remembering a distant memory. The sadness and worry returned to her eyes and the deep pools of emerald turned dark. All he wanted was to take the pain from her. He couldn’t explain it but he’d do anything to save her, to protect her; even if it hurt him. He would give his life a million times over if it would help her. ``Thank you, umm…sorry I don’t think I know your name.´´ Ebony said shyly. ``Yes you do. Think harder, it will come to you.´´ he explained softly. Ebony closed her eyes and her lip curled in confusion. She seemed lost in thought, sort of trance-like. Then her eyes snapped open. ``Dominick, isn’t it? ´´she murmured staring at him. He nodded. ``Hello Ebony Thorne. Welcome to my place.´´ he said grinning, arms stretched out wide. ``It’s definitely, uhh, umm… luxurious.´´ Ebony said grinning back at him. He couldn’t help but notice that every time she laughed or smiled her face and eyes completely lit up. ``You’ll find you quite like it here. It’s quiet and safe for sure.´´ he explained. ``Oh, I think I will like it.´´ Ebony said a smile playing at the corners of her mouth.

Ebony:

Past-
Over the next few days Dominick left me alone with my thoughts and to explore. That’s what I liked about my new `roommate´. He didn’t try to explain everything; he let me ask questions when I was ready, and he gave me space. In the meantime, I explored the whole tower. It was 60 stories tall with a spiral staircase winding around the outside. The staircase was like a tunnel so nothing from the outside could get in. The roof of the tunnel was actually the floor above because of the way the staircase spiralled around and connected. The bottom half of the tunnel was metal till about waist height and the top was glass so you could look outside. Between the two halves was a thin laser beam that could slice through anything in its path at the push of a button. The staircase was actually like a gigantic tunnel/ramp hybrid. Everything in the `house´ was controlled by either mine or Dominick’s fingerprints on various metal control panels along the walls. He explained that if there was ever an attack of any sorts that you could push a button on the control panel and metal covers would slide over the glass `window´ parts of the ramp. Every single thing in the tower, my new home, was amazing; but I was starting to notice a pattern in everything in the tower. It was all designed to protect us and keep us safe if anything were to happen at all, but safe from what exactly?

Dominick:

Past-
He sat outside on the balcony, gazing out at the vast expanse of beauty. Near the western side of the tower stood the bush from which he’d found the glowing orb and prong that had started all of this. In the field below was a large baseball diamond where he and his brother Eli had played many years before. The road could also be seen from the tower; the only road that led away from this God forsaken place. Not that would be leaving here anytime soon. The spreading disease made sure of that. Further in the distance on the eastern side of the tower stood a squat grey building surrounded by a pit and an electrical fence, the prison. He didn’t want to think about what would happen if the disease ridden inmates were to escape. The disease would spread even more quickly now that it’d become airborne and the inmates could wreak havoc among the people who still hadn’t caught the disease, the ``normal´´ ones. Ebony came through the balcony doors just then. She’d been spending the past week exploring the tower. ``OK, what exactly is going on here? ´´She asked with her hands on her hips. ``Everything here seems to be made to protect us or keep us safe, but safe from what? ´´She asked him panic leaking into her voice. She looked up at him fearfully her emerald eyes meeting his cool turquoise ones. He realized then that he would have to tell her everything. It was better than keeping her in the dark he thought bitterly. She needed to know the truth; the whole truth.

This is as far as I've written so far.

Dominick:

Past-
``Go inside.´´ he said motioning to the balcony doors. ``Sleep. I’ll tell you everything in the morning. The story is long and I am sure you will have many questions.´´ Dominick said to me. I started to protest, but the pain in his eyes silenced me. The thought of having to tell his story seemed to pain him. My shoulders slumped in disappointment and I walked inside. I shuffled slowly over to the couch I’d been sleeping on. Dominick only had a bed for himself and I felt uncomfortable sharing it with him seeing as I’d only known him for a couple of days. As soon as I lay down I realized how weary I was. ``Good night Ebony, sweet dreams.´´ Dominick murmured softly. I closed my eyes as he spoke. His voice was sweet and melodious, like wind swishing softly through grass in a meadow. His voice was gorgeous because it was so soft and deep and rumbling and I feel asleep with it echoing in my head.

Ebony:

Past-
I woke up in the morning to sunlight streaming through the windows. I felt groggy from the day before, but my mind was racing trying to figure out what I was supposed to remember. I never asked Dominick the important questions like: Why am I here? What’s going on? Where is everyone? Why? How? Who…? Those questions always took center stage in my life but I never asked them because I was afraid of what the answers would be. Now I needed to know; no matter what the cost. I got off the couch and went to the balcony, because I knew that Dominick would already be there. He was always up before me and he spent a lot of time alone, especially on the balcony. It was quiet out there. His back was to me when I stepped out onto the balcony. He didn’t notice me there at first. I walked over towards him and put my hand on his shoulder. He tensed at my touch and jerked away from me. Then just as quickly he spun around facing me his eyes hard. I pulled my hand back, hurt and startled at his reaction. ``Sorry I didn’t mean to startle you.´´ I mumbled. I stared at my feet embarrassed scolding myself for being hurt; I didn’t even know him so I shouldn’t be hurt if he didn’t like me. He stepped over to me and lifted my chin so I had to look him in the eyes. His eyes were such a deep green that it shocked me that I’d never noticed them before. Today those green eyes looked troubled. His eyes stuck out because they were such a contrast to his rusty, chin length red hair. It was styled in a shag that covered his eyes a bit and the rest sort of curled around his face. He was in one word completely gorgeous. ``No I’m sorry,´´ he said pulling me back into reality. ``I’m not used to having company. Especially not after all this.´´ he explained motioning to everything around us. ``What exactly is this anyways? ´´ I asked exasperated. He opened his mouth to talk, then closed it again and stared at me. His eyes bore into mine and it was like he could tell everything I was thinking and feeling. His mouth turned down at the corners as if it pained him to see what I saw and felt. He thought I was like this because of him. I tried to convey to him that none of what I was feeling was because of him. Well, maybe the mushy way I felt towards him was because of him but that was it. His gaze was making me shiver it was so intense. In the little while I’d been with him I’d never seen him speechless; never seen him struggle to find the right words. He started to say something again, but then thought against it. I shivered again as a cool breeze stirred the dewy morning air. ``Come. We’ll go inside and I’ll make coffee, you’re shivering. Then we can talk.´´ Dominick said. He turned towards the balcony doors and grabbed my hand to pull me after him; his skin was warm against my cool palms. Sighing in defeat I followed him inside. His ``house/tower´´ was really quite amazing. Everything was done in black, white, silvers and greys. The place seemed very comfy, cozy, safe and serene. That was probably what he was going for when he decorated. We had a huge stock of supplies; anything we could possibly need. I doubted we’d ever run out. I sat down on a black leather couch just as Dominick came out of the kitchen and handed me a mug of steaming hot coffee. He sat across from the couch where I was sitting, on the edge of the coffee table. He looked at me, his eyes searching mine, trying to decide where to begin his story.

Dominick:

Past-
It pained him to speak of it; to even think about it hurt him. He kept himself busy painting, cooking and writing to keep himself distracted from his memories, but it was time to tell the story. She had to know; needed to know, what was going on. She deserved to know the truth about her, and this new life. ``To explain the story I must show you something first.´´ he told her as he rolled up his sleeve. He held out his arm towards her. Up the length of his arm was a scar. The jagged white line snaked up from his wrist along the underside of his arm to his shoulder. She gasped and reached out to touch his arm. He quickly grabbed her arm before she could touch him and yanked the sleeve of her shirt up. This time she shrieked. Her arm had a similar scar. The only difference between the scars was that hers only went to her elbow. She hadn’t noticed it before. She traced her finger along its jagged edges. She couldn’t remember anything happening that would make such a long scar on her arm. She looked up at him gaping. The pain in his eyes seemed deeper than usual as he gazed at her. Not for the first time she realized that something horrible must’ve happened to him for his pain to run that deep. He took a few deep breaths and began his story.

*****

``It all began long ago when I was playing baseball with my younger brother, Eli.´´ he explained. His eyes seemed distant as if he were re-living that day. ``We were playing outside this exact tower in the field over there.´´ he said pointing in the general direction outside where the field was. ``I always thought that this tower was just a silo left from a long ago farm; but as you can see I was wrong.´´ he said grinning. I looked at him puzzled by the story so far. I wondered what baseball had to do with what was going on now. He must’ve seen my confused expression because he took a sip of his coffee and continued. ``Eli hit the ball into the bushes that surround this place. I tried to get him to go and get the ball but I could see that he was scared of this place. So instead I went to go and get it.´´ he said with a sigh. ``Why? ´´ I asked. ``Why what? ´´ He answered, puzzled by my question. ``Why didn’t you just leave the ball in the bush? I mean it’s just a ball; you could’ve gotten a new one.´´ I said. He gasped and clutched at his chest, over his heart, fake offended. ``Just a ball?!? It was a one-of-a-kind signed ball from Andrew Votcelli. He used it in the World Series and got the game winning home run with it! I happened to catch that ball and he signed it for my after the game. So sue me if I went to get the ball! It’s my lucky ball for God’s sakes! ´´ He said. ``Okay, okay! Sorry I offended you and your ``lucky´´ ball. ´´ I said putting air quotes around the word lucky; until he glared at me and I raised my hands in mock surrender. ``So anyways I went into the bushes to get the ball and since it was so dark in there I had to feel for the ball. You were right though, I never should have gone back for that ball, no matter how important it was to me. While in the bushes I did find a ball, but not the baseball that I lost. It was the size of a soccer ball and when I hel it close it glowed a lime green colour. The inside was full of some sort of liquid that sloshed around, and the outside had golden script all over it. I held onto it so I could see it in the light later. As I searched some more I found a long trident-like stick. It was gold and it had black writing on it, the same script that was on the orb. I got out of the bush then because I couldn’t find my baseball. I showed Eli what the orb I found and he snatched it out of my hands. I hadn’t noticed it before but there were three holes in the orb perfect for the trident to fit in. Eli shoved the stick in the ball and there was a huge white flash, like from a camera and then nothing. Eli muttered something about it being a stupid toy and he tossed it back in the bush. I was so dumb though, I thought it might be important so I went back to fish it from the bush.´´ he muttered angrily. ``I went back into the bush. If I hadn’t I-- ´´ he choked the words out, tears in his eyes. I got up and moved over to the coffee table he was sitting on and sat down beside him. I grabbed his hand suddenly, trying to comfort him. ``You don’t have to finish the story if you don’t want to. ´´ I said softly. ``No. You deserve to hear it. You need to know it, please understand that, you have to know! ´´ He said grabbing me and shaking me, the panic in his voice rising into hysteria. ``Dominick! ´´ I yelled at him. He kept shaking me his eyes boring into mine. ``Stop it! You’re hurting me! ´´ I yelled at him. He let go of me. ``Sorry. I didn’t mean, I didn’t mean to… to hurt you, sorry. ´´ He mumbled. ``It’s okay; finish your story.´´ I said. ``Okay. Well after that I grabbed the orb and the stick and got out of the bush. It was eerily quiet. The birds stopped chirping, the wind didn’t rustle in the trees and the neighborhood kids weren’t giggling and playing. And then a scream cut through the eerie. A scream that was so filled with terror and pain that it shattered my heart. It was a cry for help and it came from my brother. The-they killed him. Killed him and tore him apart and they ate the flesh right off of his bones! And the worst part was it happened right in front of me. I-I couldn’t beat them off. The look in Eli’s eyes as he died crushed me. He was scared, so scared and I did nothing. I stood there; I was the one who let them take him. It’s my fault he’s gone! ´´ Dominick said tears streaking down his face. I reached out to hug him and he let me. Usually he kept his distance and tried to touch me as little as possible. I let him cry on my shoulder for awhile. I could ask questions later, like what mutilated Dominick’s brother Eli?

Ebony:

Past-
I sat on the balcony for a few hours just listening to the sounds from outside. The birds chirped in the trees on the outskirts of the fields and the forest creatures skittered around in the underbrush. But none of that caught her eyes. They always wandered back to the huge grey prison. From this distance she could see the inmates wandering around outside. The surrounding pit and the tall electrical fence kept them at bay; but it didn’t keep them from trying to escape. Ebony watched as a few inmates tried jumping over the pit; but instead of clearing it they fell into it. She turned away disgusted by the gruesome scene. Then she thought of Dominick and how kind he’d been to her, even though she was stranger and there wasn’t anything about her that was extremely special. He was sweet and caring and had been really helpful to her. She stood on the balcony not knowing what to think. ``What comes next? ´´ she thought to herself. She was clueless to that feeling, gullible about love. But she knew there was something about him. She could make a list of the things she liked about him, for each breath held back in her throat, creating a hurricane in her stomach; it wasn’t an exaggeration it was more like… butterflies? She was starting to fall for this mystery boy she didn’t really know. They understood each other she thought; connected on a deeper level. They made each other’s lives bearable through the dark days of those first months. ``I owe my life to this boy.´´ she thought as she stood on the balcony, alone.

Dominick:

Past-
``Ebony, come; we must leave! ´´ He called to her. She startled herself out of daydreaming about him and the prison. She quickly ran into the house where he waited at the wall on the tower’s far north side. ``Here, take these.´´ He said tossing her twin katana knives with a wicked razor sharp edge on the blade. Then he threw her an AK47 gun and then he gave her what looked like an oxygen tank with a nozzle. ``Flame thrower. For when things start to get ugly..´´ He explained when he saw her quizzical look. ``W-what’s all this for? ´´She asked concerned. ``There’s a massive attack on a house a few doors down and I believe there may be survivors. We need to get there quickly and help before they catch on to our location as well.´´

Jack_Wilka BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
Loved it just it got a bit confusing...

Sorry it was indented, I just had to copy and paste it into here (what I'd had so far) and the formatting went wonky on me :S

AlexanderBurton BRONZE, Pittsfield, Pennsylvania

"Fortune Favours The Bold." The Virgil

Plz indent a little bit more