Undecided | Teen Ink

Undecided

By ThinkThinkThink, Sacramento, California
ThinkThinkThink, Sacramento, California

Don't have one. The world is filled with alot of intresting quotes.

Author's note: What inspried me to do this piece was Twiligh I guess but I wrote this stoey sooo long ago but I just never finished it until now

A thing that no one believed in. A thing that people thought was a myth, a scary story you told the children at the campfire just before they drifted into a soundless sleep. You've heard the term "People are not always as they seem." Some people have to learn the hard way...

My name is Sienna. It is September twenty-third, and today is my seventeenth birthday. I leaned on the sidelines, watching, observing, letting the party swirl, dance, and twirl around me. Something felt off about this birthday. I had never felt this feeling before, but it couldn't possibly be good.
My parents were happy and bright; everything was going right until after father died. Some wild animal had attacked him in the woods, a hunting accident they said, only leaving his body gruesomely bloodied and ripped apart. People were sent out to try and catch to this animal but they came up empty handed. Soon his death was just forgotten. Sooner after that, my father’s death just faded away completely. My mother took it hard. Sometimes when I couldn't sleep, I'd go to her door, but all I would hear was her cries, the sounds faint, but heartbreaking. That left me to return to bed, alone and without comfort.

I watched through the main window. Watching the servants, maids, and cooks busily moving and shuffling around like a bunch of busy bees in a hive, getting the garden ready for the celebration that was to take place tonight. Plain and simple as I had wanted my birthday to be, my mother would not allow it. I crossed my arms in front of my chest, watching nervously as everyone got ready for tonight.
"Sienna."
"Hmm," I mumbled quietly, chewing on my thumb nail. A bad habit I had picked up that I needed to break out of.
My brothers firm hands clasped on my shoulders turning me around, my back to the window now. He was half a foot taller than me so that I looked up to him. He reminded me of father so much. My eyes stung with the first droplet of a tear that I refused to let out and blinked back. The short dark brown hair that always fell in his eyes in a crazy, yet cute way, and charming smile that was only visible when he was happy, laughing, or joking around as he always was.
"And how is my beautiful sister doing today? Don't be worried."
"Hmm...I admire you think you’re going to win me over with flattery Michael, and I'm not worried."
Michael's joking smile left his face. "I know you Si. Don't worry, they'll catch the animal."
I started to get hysterical, pacing back and forth. "I just don't understand Michael. It attacked father and left, never to be found, and now it shows up again during my one day Michael. My day. My birthday. I mean that poor man who went out hunting in the woods. His family must be devastated. Aniline heard from her brother that it was bloody...gruesome. His family could barely even identify him Michael it was...," I started to say but Michael shushed me.
"Shh...Si. It'll be okay. Don't worry I'm sure they'll catch it," Michael said in a calming voice.
"I hope your right," I said, in a voice that we both knew wasn't all too believable in his words.
"It's your birthday, at least try to relax and be happy. Don't worry Si, I guarantee you'll see something, courtesy of me I may add, at the party you'll like."
"Oh no! Michael, what are you going to do? "
"Don't worry... it's a.... surprise," Michael said with a mischievous smile, telling me he was up to something.
"Michael don't you...," I started to say, but he was already half way down the hall. "Oh by the way, mother would like to see you."
I sighed. There was no telling what he was up to and I'd just have to wait until the party to find out what he had planned for me, which made me dread the party even more so as the hours crept slowly by.

I knocked lightly. "Mother, may I come in? Michael said you wanted to speak with me."
"Yes dear, come on in."
I walked in as my mother was getting the last finishing touch-ups on her dress. It was a lovely long sleeve black dress with a lace trim, father’s favorite. Although Michael took more after father, I took more after our mother, Emry. We had the same light brown-blonde hair, and ice blue eyes. My mother always seemed to use those eyes to her advantage, making it look as if she had a playful secret that you just couldn't figure out, but tried hard too.
"Michael said you wanted to speak Mother."
"Um, yes dear, Leona can you give us a little privacy?”
"Yes ma'am."
Leona left, closing the door after her, while mother laid her dress carefully on her bed. As soon as the door clicked shut mother jumped up, went to her closet and opened a draw that I never knew was there, considering on how much time I spent in her closet when I was younger. Pretending I was in my own private home, maybe in a space ship, or playing hide-and-seek with Michael. When I was younger in that closet, I could be anything I possibly wanted to be. She emerged with a small velvet box in her hands and carefully handed it to me. I opened the little velvet box, and inside was a beautiful gold chained necklace with a sapphire jewel set in the middle.
"Mother it's beautiful," I said, awestruck and amazed in its beauty.
"Yes, I've been waiting for the right time to give you this. Now, turn around." I did as mother asked and heard the almost inaudible click as the necklace clasped together. Suddenly there were three loud knocks at the door.
"Just a minute." Mother said, as she stuffed the case back in the secret draw and closed the closet doors tight. "Now you must promise me you will never take this off."
"I promise mother."
"I love you Sienna."
"I love you too Mother," I started to say as I walked toward the big wooden door.
"And Sieanna?”
"Yes mother?” I said, with my hand on the door knob.
"Happy Birthday."
I gave her a small smile in return and opened the door to find Leona standing there.
"Hello Leona," I said, with a smile.
"Hello Sienna." Leona said, smiling politely and walking inside. I walked down the hall, intending to go take a walk to clear my mind until I literally ran into Michael turning the corner. I went down onto the floor.
"Sienna!" Michael got up in a blur, and put an arm around my waist helping me up. "I am so sorry. I didn't see you there. Are you alright? “Michael said, in a concerned voice.
"Yes Michael I'm fine."
"Are you sure?”
"Yes, I am sure, thank you." I looked around and caught Michael starring at my necklace.
"That's a beautiful necklace."
"Yes." I said, my hand flying up to it and covering it up. "It is. Mother gave it to me."
"Is that so?”
"Yes, but I should be going now, you know, the party and all.
"Oh yeah, yeah, your surprise... he should be expected a little while from now."
"He?” I said, putting my hands on my hips, the puzzle pieces finally coming together.
"Yes, he. I'd recommend that you wear that necklace to the party. It looks stunning on you, and I'm sure he'll love it too."
I sighed. "Michael what did you do? "
"Oh nothing," he said with a smile. "You'll see, cause like you said, don't you have to be going now? You know, the party and all?" Michael said, repeating the words I had just spoken only seconds ago.
"Fine. See you later." I said with a huff, pushing my way past him.
"I love you too Sieanna." he said as I walked off. Sometimes he could such a brother.
Leona stepped out from the door, closing it behind her, and began walking down the hall, passing Michael. Michael grabbed her hand and spun her around whispering in her ear.
"She will be taken care of tonight during the party, as promised. Soon it'll be me, you and all the luxuries and money we could want."
"Good," Leona said, starting to walk away. Michael pulled her back and kissed her lightly, then let her go, and continued down the hall.

Mother and I were escorted to the grand stair case. I had on a white backless dress, showing off my delicate shoulders and back. Unique and also delicate in its design so that the dress hugged my slender frame just right. My hair was swept into a clean bun at the top of my head, and my ears sparkled due to my mother’s pearl earrings she insisted on me wearing. My lips were delightfully smooth and soft and the necklace mother had given me a couple hours before felt cold and solid against my skin. I felt and looked like a princess, forgetting why I had dreaded this moment and why I was nervous. I felt confident as Mother walked down the stairs and after counting five seconds, stepped down after her, walking and looking out at the guest like mother had mentioned for me to do while we were getting ready.
At the foot of the stairs Leona waited in a beautiful black dress, looking so much more fragile and elegant than ever, as opposed to when she was attending to our needs on a regular day basis. She held a tray with a glass of champagne and a knife on it. When I reached the bottom of the stairs, grabbing the knife and champagne I clinked the two together and all the conversations and sounds quieted instantly. I smiled welcomingly.
"Hello everyone. I don't have much to say, so let’s go out to the gardens and see what wonderful cooks and amazing servers have prepared for us."
With that everyone clapped, and I smiled a winning smile as I walked down to the direction of the gardens to see what they had transformed it into. When I arrived outside, my face was that of astonishment.
The gardens that I had walked in at the beginning of each morning had been transformed into a lush twilight paradise. On all the rose bushes and trees, little lights had been strung up. A gentle breeze of music played from the musicians in the corner. More than a dozen circular tables had been set by the garden fountain, all set up with plates, knives, forks, spoons, napkin, and glasses of champagne. Each table had two burning candles, little handfuls of light radiating off each table, casting small shadows. A long rectangular table was set up in the back, spread out with silver tins all containing delicious foods and tastes that were soon to come, and the grand finally of it all, the cake. At the end of the long table was a huge four-layer vanilla cake with raspberry filling and vanilla icing.
"Sienna!” an excited voiced called. I turned around to find my best friend, Aniline, dressed in a beautiful black long-sleeved dress.
"Happy birthday!!!!" she squealed. “Like your cake? I gave the cooks a tip that it was your favorite."
I laughed. "Yes An, I love it."
Aniline and I, or An as I called her, had been friends every since we were young. We've went to school together as long as I can remember, but what had really sealed are friendship was the time she beat up Jason Weller for me because he was picking on me. An was pretty. She had pale smooth skin and her nose was sprinkled with light freckles. She was taller than me, as everyone else always was. Her lips were plump, her hair a straight dark burgundy color, and she had beautiful cat-like fiery green eyes.
"Good." she smiled a bright smile. "Let's get something to eat. I’m starving."
"Sounds like a plan to me." I said with an equally brighter smile.

I smiled, as I put the last pieces of cake into my mouth. My eyes rolling back into my head at the last bite of heaven, as the server took our plates back to the kitchen to get washed. I looked around at some of the couples dancing slowly on the dance floor, hips swaying in tune with each other and the music.
"That was amazing," I said, drawing out the maze in amazing.
"Yes it was! By the way, is it still alright if I come sleep over tonight? You know I couldn't miss my Sienna's seventeenth birthday."
I smiled. "Of course it's okay An. It always is."
"Thanks. I..." An's voice trailed off.
“An...?” I said, waving my hand in front of her face. She didn't even flinch.
"Who’s that?”
"Who’s who?" I said, following her gaze.
"That." An said, just as I turned around to see who she was talking about.
Everything quieted a little. Maybe because of the unknown new guest that had arrived. He sat down at an empty table, picked up an untouched champagne glass and began to take slight sips, looking at me over the brim of his glass. Then, he set it down and looked at me. It felt as if he could see right through me. I blushed, and then looked down remembering of the party that was swirling around me. Michael brushed past me stopping only once in his haste.
"Surprise." He whispered in my ear, and proceeded to go to the table that this unknown guest was sitting at.
I watched them as they talked all night, sneaking quick glances out of the corner of my eye as I talked to An. The party began to slow down, and soon the party was over as the last guests headed out the door. The servants were cleaning up and finally my brother left the table and headed inside, turning back around only to look between the two of us, mystery guy and me, then turn and walk into the house. I watched the guy as he got up from his chair, and walked toward my table that I had been sitting at for hours.
"Hello Sieanna. Happy Birthday”, he said as he strode up to our table. He pulled out the bloom of a rose, its stem short and stubby.

"Thank you." I said smiling, taking the rose from his hand and inhaling its scent briefly. "This is my friend Aniline.”
"Hello Aniline. A pleasure to meet you. Sieanna, would you like to dance?”
"Umm....," An started to say. “I just remembered I have to go do that thing with the thing. Remember Sienna? I'll see you later."A
An got up and left the table leaving me and mystery guy alone. She turned around and gave me thumbs up and a smile before walking inside. I looked at mystery guy in his white tuxedo and brown hair that curved slightly to the right as it reached his eyebrows. He was handsome, with olive-tanned skin that looked like it was lightly kissed by the sun his eyes dark and enticing. Lips, light and soft.
I gave him a questioningly smile. "But there’s no music."
He smiled, “We don't need it."

I pushed my chair back, rising from the table, as he held out his hand. I took it. At the slightest touch of our hands my body went cold and the image of blood became heavy in my mind, I jerked my hand back, my smile fading.
"Everything alright?" he said. I took a deep breath.
"Oh yeah. Everything’s good. Just a little...cold I guess."
"Here" he said, taking off his tuxedo jacket and gently laying it across my shoulders.
"Thanks."
We went to the dance floor, everything silent except for the soft sounds of nature and the small sounds of servants finishing cleaning up inside. He put his arms on my waist, and I put mine around his neck as we swayed lightly to the right and left.
"Well this is definitely a surprise." I murmured under my breath.
"How so?"
"Oh." I guess said that louder than intended. I recovered, and changed the subject.
"So I see you know my brother, Michael."
"Yes, we go far back. Farther than you know."
"Is that so?”
"Yes. It is so."
"So is there any chance you can tell me your name? I feel it only fair, since you know mine."
He smiled playfully. "Sorry for not introducing myself, it's Caine."
"Mmm...interesting name. I like it," I giggled as he twirled me around and moved me side to side.
"Well your very light on your feet Mr.Caine." I said, giving him a questioning smile.
"Yea, well, I had a lot of time to learn things like this."
He spun me around and dipped me low, his hand on the small of my back, locking eyes with mine. We stayed there for what seemed like forever. Our lips mere inches apart. His eyes flickered to an expression I didn't know. Something sad, regretful almost. His brow creased just slightly and then his emotions stopped, shut down from reading them anymore. His sleeve had slide up a little, exposing his wrist, and a small black tattoo of a serpent.
"That’s a nice tattoo."
He looked down at his wrist and pulled his sleeve back down. "Umm yes, it is. My sister has one just like this. Would you like to take a walk with me?" Caine asked, still holding me in the dip position.
I gave him a smile, "Sure."
He lifted my back so that I was standing upright again. We walked toward the woods at the back of my house. Caine grabbed my hand, my hand small and his burning hot, lacing through mine.
"Your hands... there hot. Like really hot." I said.
He looked down, then back up at me. “Yes I know. The weather plays tricks on my bodies’ temperature."
I heard the light pitter-patter of footsteps behind me and the clearing of a throat. I turned around and dropped Caine's hand, my face blushing.
"Oh, hello mother."
"Sienna." she said, in a flat voice.
"Umm...this is Caine. He's my surprise gift, from Michael. We were just about to take a walk."
Mothers face was unreadable. She looked from Caine to me and then said, "Okay dear. Don't be out to late."
"Okay."
The last thing she did before walking inside was train her eyes on my necklace, and look up at me. Finally, she nodded and walked inside.

His hand was unnaturally burning hot but I said nothing. The image of blood kept floating into my head. We were in the woods, a great deal away from the house. It was silent except for the quiet chirping of the crickets.
"So, what do you do?”
Caine looked up from the ground. "I move around a lot. Here and there, travel places.
"Oh, that must be exciting. So how'd you end up here? You must have a family. They must worry a great deal about you." At the word family he tensed up, then relaxed into a cool demeanor.
"No, actually they don't. They stopped worrying about me a long time ago. My mother died when I was young so it was just my dad, my sister, and me."
"Oh...were you and your sister close?”
Caine gave a small laugh. "Yeah. We were inseparable."
"Were?”
Caine's smile disappeared, drooping at the corners a bit. "Yeah. We were. She had an accident awhile back and still blames me for it."
"Yea, well don't worry. She'll forgive you, in time."
He sighed. " I'm pretty sure that won't happen."
An eerie silence fell over us, but was broken by the distant howl of some animal. Nothing to be afraid of really because they were far in the deep outer edges of the woods, and as long as we didn't disturb their territory, which we never did, we'd be okay. Suddenly Caine grabbed my arms and spun me around so he was behind me, a cluster of trees surrounding us from view. Then he grabbed my wrist lightly, putting his chin near my shoulder.
"Your brother, Michael, has told me so much about you." Caine whispered in my ear. He let go of my wrist and walked a circle around me, reminding me uncomfortably of a shark circling its prey.
"I’m sure he has."
In a lighting quick move he was in front of me. He put his fingertips lightly on my neck, his hands sliding up to my cheek. I turned around facing him, his eyes so big and brown, glistening in the moonlight. His teeth I now noticed, a little less duller than they had been before gleamed in the light. He brought both hands up to my cheeks, staring into my eyes. His eyes scrolled down to my lips and then back up.
"Caine."
"Yes Sienna."
"You may kiss me now."
He leaned in closer lightly pressing his lips to mine. I took all of him in. The woodsy smell of the outdoors, the way it felt as he hugged me to him, a light hand on the small of my back. The way he tasted, like that of sweet peppermints, desire, and lust all at the same time. I had a deep hunger that only he could fill. He was electrifying, paralyzing me.
My eye caught the moon, a big white ball of beautiful light, high in the sky. A full moon. Father and I always used to sit outside and watch the moon and stars. They hid during the daytime, but were fully visible during the nighttime. I would always look at the sky, wondering what it would be like to be up there. A star, or the beautiful moon that wherever you were in the world always stayed the same. My hands slid along his shirt collar and a sharp pain went up through my hand from a forgotten pin in his shirt collar. I felt the light, but heaviness of blood seeping its way out. Caine unexpectedly turned away, stopping are kiss violently leaving me deserted. Suddenly everything got quiet, only the sound of rustling leaves as a slight wind blew by. Caine stood up, still not facing me, tranquilize calm stilling everything.
"Caine." I said, my voice barely above a whisper. He turned his head slightly to the right, most of this face still obstructed from view. "Caine," I said again, more urgently this time. "Are you alright ? Wh-what happened ? ."
"You’re bleeding...."
"How did you....never mind, it's no big deal, just a little blood is all. I probably scraped my hand on a branch by accident without realizing."
"No...It's not just....blood."
He turned around and my heart stopped for an instant, coming back to life and beating rapidly. I backed up a couple of steps, the leaves and twigs crunching beneath the weight of my body. Caine's hands, once warm in mine, were now big, and his fingernails were long and dark, sharp enough to do damage, as were his teeth. Full sharp canines protruding from his gums, like miniature knifes in his mouth, and his body had been transformed somehow in a unnaturally frightening way. His skin was a pallid and chalky, his ribs visible through his tender skin, that not of a human and his hair matted down in bundles on his forehead by sweat. My eyes met his, the eyes that were once soft and brown, the eyes I watched watch me from across the room, the eyes that had held mine as we danced and swayed to the sounds of the peaceful night, were now a bottomless, never ending pit of inky black. Dark beady eyes that probed mine looking for a response, but all I could see was myself reflected back in his eyes. The bewildered look on my face. I looked like I felt, confused, angry, disappointed, scared, and stupid for ever falling for his little act. I took another step back, are eyes still locked on each other.

A slow, devilish smile crept to his lips, and that’s when I knew that any shreds of the real Caine, if there even was a "real Caine", had died out. His smile faltered a bit, but then it was back on his lips. Maybe the real Caine had came back, but was overcome in the struggle against himself. Against the real him, and the thing that stood in front of me now.
"You knew what I was the first time we touched, when we kissed, but was to-" he looked at me, pondering, as if thinking of the word. "But was to convinced and trusted to me to doubt yourself. Bad move. You should have doubted yourself. And now the only thing keeping you alive is well....nothing really."
I was too shocked to answer. Shocked because of the truth he had spoken, and of how he had decided to talk to me, as if I was some child, or as if this was a game of some sort.
"You are correct Caine. I know what you are" I said, gaining a little, not much, courage. “You are a betrayer....a killer. " I spat the last word out in disgust.
"No my Sienna, I am much worse." The corner of his lips perked up in a smile, showing his dagger-like teeth.
I didn't stop to see what his next reaction was. I took off as fast I my feet could carry me and never looked back. Running on adrenaline, panic, and fear all combined into one.

I ran and ran, kicking off my shoes of in the process. Each time my foot touched the damp earth my other one was already up, ready for the feel of the ground again. I let out a breath, as my tiredness began to overcome me. The ache in my stomach became a incisive stab in my side. I felt myself slowing down. I knew I couldn't keep running like this forever, my thoughts were thumping and jumping around just like my heart. I couldn't focus.The thoughts. The sharp pain in my side built up its intensity and wound its way into my chest. Thoughts. Ache. Thoughts. Ache. Before I knew it I was on the ground, sucking in deep breaths of air, the ache in my chest numbing just a little.
My foot had caught on a loose root, and I there I was, sprawled on the ground. I rushed up to me feet, dusting of my ruined dress and scraped arms and legs. I turned my head acutely to the right and left. I was deep in the woods, in the unknown part that I had never explored. There was a gray haze over everything, like a thick steam. I looked toward the moon for a flash of light, but it was covered by a thick blanket of clouds, a low glow barely visible. The air was moist and cold, the woods a deep piercing silence. Time for Plan B.
I took care not to make too much noise on the crunchy September leaves. With the grace of a ballerina I carefully tiptoed behind a tree. Those horrible hands and gleaming sharp teeth would be a bad memory etched into my mind forever, but the eyes. The eyes that had fooled me to believe he was anything other than a monster. His eyes. The ones that led me to believe, foolishly, that he didn't enjoy bloodshed, people dead, and himself satisfyingly full. How many other people had he killed? How many other girls had he charmed, and when the time was right attacked. Attacked before they could even scream for help, and left town before anyone could realize who, or in this case what had done it. How many dead bodies had been in his past? How much blood was on his hands?

I knew I wasn’t going to be another kill and counting. I was getting out of this, or die trying. I couldn't hide out here all night, he and I both new that, and I couldn't run back home. He'd kill me before I got there or worse. He'd hurt my family, and I couldn't let that happen. Before I knew what I was doing I had a branch in my hands, my grasp so tight on it my knuckles turned white. The end of it was jagged and uneven, intended for a purpose I knew I would have to perform.
"Hello! Come and get me ! This is what you wanted right? To come out here and get me alone so now were alone Caine." There was no reply.
Suddenly I was blindsided and before I knew it Caine was on top of me, his hands clasped around my neck with an iron like grip, crushing any air trying to worm its way in. He loosed his grip and I sucked in a deep breath of air. His fingertips drifted up and down my neck, straying down to my collar bone. His hand went up to my throat and close around it again. I could feel his fingertips crushing against the soft fabric of skin on my neck. He leaned down close to my ear and said something only for me to hear, in a hoarse whisper. I could feel his hot breath prickling my ear as he said, "No Sienna, this is what I wanted." I looked up into those betraying eyes once more as everything went dark, swearing I saw the real Caine for a brief second, but then it was over and my last memories flashed before my eyes as the blood began to spill and leak over my necklace, overcoming the sapphire.
Leona and Michael closed mother’s door, licking the last of the blood from their lips. He pulled Leona into him, Leona fitting perfectly into his arms.
"See, I told you I'd take care of it." Michael said, exposing Leona's wrist. “ Now we have the money and the luxuries like I promised before, but I’m still not full.”, Michael said turning to look at Leona.
Leona sighed and held out her wrist for Michael. Michael rolled up his sleeves revealing a tattoo of a serpent on his wrist like that of Caine’s, leaned in on Leona’s wrist, and began to drink and drink until he was full and satisfied.
...People really are not as they seem. Remember that and MAYBE you'll be okay...