The Lonely Guardian | Teen Ink

The Lonely Guardian

By Triple_A_XD_XP, Mesa, Arizona
Triple_A_XD_XP, Mesa, Arizona

Baka wa shinanakyo noaranai!

Author's note: I wrote this back when I was in 5th grade! That was sometime ago, da? Hahaha, I nearly changed EVERYTHING!

Couple things I will warn: I have never been to Sardinia, let alone Italy. I did as much research as I could to get the general terrain right -please note that these chapters I post aren't neccesarily finished and the only reason I'm posting them is so I give ppl a feel on how and what I write - so hopefully that's good. Let's see... oh, also, I'll post info on this story sometime in one of my journals, just in case your interested. Also, the display picture I used was actually practice to get an overall look on what my actual title was going to look like. Somethings I'm already concerned with: The terrain and setting description- I'm going to definitely add a neccesary amount to give everyone a good visual. Character descriptions are actually on the next chapter, sorry.

Small town-like village in Sardinia, Italy
October 16th, 1939

"It is all my fault."

"No, it is not."

"But, if I haven't…if she... if I stopped-"

"That is enough, Raven!"

Raven, shocked, stopped crying and looked up, "I am deeply sorry, Master." giving a slight bow in apology. The man got down on his knees, the wooden floor creaking beneath, and rested his hands on the little girl's shoulders, "It is not Master, Raven."

Raven stared into his emerald eyes. He hugged her. She froze for a moment, confused, and then began to cry again. He pushed away and wiped her tears, "It is Father, my dear Raven."

She nodded in understanding, feeling a little more content. But the same horrible thought came up in her poor young mind, "But I am a Bestia, not your child."

He smiled so kindly, as he always has to her and the family, "True, though I created you, did I not, Raven? Even a Bestia can have parents and a loving older sister."

Raven tried to hold back the tears, "What will happen to Zamora?"

Father rose up and sighed, "I fear the worst. Mother is trying to handle it now."

Raven pushed back her bangs to look up at Father in the intensely lightened room, some rays coming from open windows. She thought of what happened since that gusty morning, only a couple days ago. Father looked down upon her and reached for her hand. She grabbed it and squeezed tightly. Father began walking, leading her outside. When the now-setting sun beat across their faces, Father spoke, "Raven, I need you to be the bold Bestia I hoped for and wait for Zamora's enquiry."

She bravely nodded. Father wasn't done, "Whatever she tries to tell you, listen and keep her temper under control, do you understand? You know what would happen if she loses her restraint again. "

Again, she nodded.

"Good. I must meet your mother at a different trial across town. Until then, there is some homemade bread on the table for Zamora. Keep her busy, please."

He let go of her hand and walked to the car, "We will, hopefully, see you girls tonight."

Father started the engine and drove off down the road into town. Raven, relaying all that was said to her, went back inside the small house into Zamora's room. She shut her eyes and imaged a small simple black dog in her head. She then began to feel light and faint until she finally opened her eyes to see herself standing on four legs. The towering mirror beside her reflected the same dusky dog she imagined, but with a gray frilly lace dress loosely around her. She easily shook it off. She clasped the delicate dress with her teeth and laid it out in the center of the room. When that was done, she jogged out into the open, heading down the same road Father did.

+

+

+

The girl stepped out of the church quietly and stood still for a moment. With once last glance back into the building, both grand church doors swiftly closed in her face, causing her to stumble back. She turned round disregarding the little incident and peered up into the sky, now studying the clouds. She sighed deeply and lowered her gaze to notice a runty black pup sitting at the foot of the steps.

"Raven!"

Zamora quickly stepped down the stairs, making sure not to fall. When she reached the small dog, Zamora immediately began walking away from the church, "Hurry, Raven. I want to get home to Mama and Father."

The dog barked and followed closely behind Zamora. Zamora looked tired while carrying her satchel, "Today was rough, wasn't it, Raven? I wonder what my punishment will be. A night in the wells? Or possibly no supper? Perhaps sending me to one of those boarding schools? Oh, it troubles me, Raven."

She spun around once at every turn at the street lamps (almost a tradition she performed every time she walked that route), "With the war starting, and Father being away so much, everything seems to trouble me so. I understand Father will not let anything happen to me and you of course, but still, doesn't it worry you?"

Zamora looked down at the dog and Raven responded by nodding her head a couple times. The sun was lowering into the horizon. It will be dark soon. We better hurry home.

Raven and Zamora reached the first hill. Beyond this hill, were three more, all slightly higher than the one before. Zamora was already exhausted for the day. She decided to take a small break and lay in the tall grass, just for a moment. Raven sat down beside her and looked up at the colorful sky. Zamora stretched out her arms and legs, looking up as well. They both admired the wonderful shades of color, with the setting sun, and the few clouds; pink, yellow, purple, blue, and many other different shades and hues, as the sisters noticed. Zamora began to worry again. She closed her eyes.

"I know I have lived and existed for 15 years and yet I have the body and emotions of a five year old." Zamora stated out loud, "If I was…ordinary, like everyone else, I would probably already be aiding in preparation in the war."

There was silence.

Then, "Raven?"

Raven turned to her and barked in response as to say, "Yes?"

"Is it fair?"

Raven, confused, cocked her small head to the side to show puzzlement.

"Is it fair that I live three times longer than my classmates and neighbors? That I cannot die by simple things like drowning or disease? That I have the 'power to create the flow of water, the rumble of Mother Earth, the flicker of raging fire, the gust of wind, the horrors of death, or the miracles of life', as Mama always says? That I have you, a Bestia, as my little sister? It all just does not seem fair."

Raven, sitting in her short canine form, thought the same thing.

Now Zamora rose up, concluding that this brief rest was over and it was time to move on to the next grassy hill just ahead. Before completely standing, Zamora tussled Raven's ears and giggled. Raven eyed her, obviously wanting to know what was so amusing. Zamora's laughing sided "I just always find it funny when I say your name and yet you are not the bird you were originally named after."

Raven rolled her eyes good-humoredly and swiftly transformed into an average-sized black shadowed bird, almost looking like a crow, but in her true form: a Raven. Zamora approved this, "There you are, Raven!" getting up and brushing of the satchel from grass and loose dirt.

Raven perched gently onto her sister's shoulder, and they headed down the hill, Zamora filling in the silence "Remember the first day I got you? The day you were created? My official third year birthday, I recall it as if it were yesterday! Mama kept nagging on that I was too young to have a Bestia but Father encouraged it as always."

Raven croaked happily, also recollecting that day. How could she forget? A Bestia could never overlook the day they came to life and bonded with their master.

"You were a little smaller then now of course." Zamora continued, steadily going up the second hill now, "and so energetic! Father had to keep you in a cage to stop transmuting into every animal you saw!" she laughed, coming to the top and taking a second to rest again, "Oh but certainly we knew the first animal you morphed into, and as tradition goes, you must be named after that creature."

She set out back down again, pacing herself, as she grew more weary, "Thank goodness you didn't turn into a pig or squirrel or something of the sort, yes?"

In response, Raven sung again merrily. They reached the last, and greatest, hill. Zamora sighed, trying to continue to reminisce, "Mama seemed so pleased to see us together, even though she rejected the notion of having a Bestia. I still have that picture, the one she drew for us that took her so long to finish. I'll give it to you if you want. I already have it pictured perfectly in my head."

Almost at the top and Zamora held her tongue to conserve a little more energy, thinking to herself now. Raven dropped off the shoulder and flew to the top, settling in with the tall grass while waiting for her big sister. Finally, at the top of the mound, Zamora laid down once more. The sky was dark now, the night stars gleaming with the rising moon almost as bright as the sun to Zamora's eyes. Raven perched on the satchel and Zamora continued on, talking over the chirped sounds of grasshoppers and other night insects, "You can think of the picture as a gift, from me to you, sister."

There was a hesitant quietness.

"I need to thank you, and I feel that could be one way I can repay you. You deserve it and more."

Raven, almost distraught by this, croaked slowly once, as if to say "Why?"

Zamora knew the Bestia so well she came to the answer, "Two days ago, Tuesday morning I believe, back at the school yard…when I burned that boy… I know you tried to stop me, but I just…"

She began picking at the grass and Raven found this conversation going back to Zamora's punishment, "The people here, they think I hurt him by bringing gasoline or some flammable liquid. They think that his burns were the worst that could be done." Zamora stopped picking out the grass and, instead, stared at her young petite hands, "He should be fortunate it was only a small flame…"

Zamora's tone changed, it was punitive, just like that morning. She snatched her satchel furiously, evoking the dreaded event, and not realizing that Raven was nearly swept off the bag and flapped waveringly to fly back up.

"He should be glad I didn't use any alchemy to feed the fire!" Zamora stated harshly, stomping her way down the hill with Raven struggling to follow. In minutes, they reached their home, not far up in elevation to wear out Zamora anymore. Raven hurriedly flew into the house once Zamora heatedly opened the front door, shutting it noisily, and flinging her bag at the wall closest to her. She continued, even though Raven tried not to listen, "His parents think it couldn't have been worse. They have no idea what I could've done!"

Zamora's voice began to grow louder in rage as she remembered that morning. Raven panicking, heard this rant from Zamora's room and changed back into her human form with the drably gray dress. She rushed into the kitchen where her big sister was munching down on a slice of homemade bread. Thankfully, Zamora was done with the conversation, only discerning on finishing her bread and waiting for her punishment soon to come. Raven soundlessly took her slice and began to eat as well, almost fearful to take a seat next to Zamora. As dreading as the silence of the room was, Raven felt proud inside for keeping Zamora calm enough not to do any damage to anything, having everything under some control. Father should be proud as well when he returns with Mother. But, still, a penalty was still to come for her big sister, Zamora.

+

+

+

It has been two hours. Zamora was getting impatient, "Where could they possibly be? My lecture with the Curator Council was not as long as this! This waiting is just increasing my worry."

Raven was sitting neatly on the floor, busying herself with some string. She constantly gathered her bangs behind her ears so she could practice diligently on a new string figure "Two Coyotes". Her big sister, however, mumbled to herself as she lay on the sofa, complaining about the time going by and no one coming home. Soon, Zamora got bored of grumbling and randomly grabbed an alchemy book by her father's desk. She studied the ordinary drab black binding, with surprisingly no title or pentagram sketchings embedded within the cover.

"Look, big sister!" Raven exclaimed happily, holding out her string figure perfectly completed. Zamora glanced at it, "Good job, Raven" and went back to the book. She leisurely turned to the first page, looking for the author's signature but found none. Raven looked down at the small paper of string examples and asked, "Zamora?"

So fascinated by the unusual book, Zamora didn't seem to hear Raven say her name. Zamora flipped through two or three pages, and her eyes caught some words that skipped a beat. But only one burned into her vision to a point where she felt that only closing her eyes will have the word disappear; the word being: Immortality.

"Zamora!" Raven exclaimed, seeing her sister's eyes shut with a black hardback in hand. Zamora opened her eyes and turned to Raven, "Yes?"

The Bestia held out the frayed string, "Help with the next figure, will you? Cat's Cradle."

"Cat's Cradle? I thought you learned that one already."

Raven shook her head, causing her long bangs to get in her eyes again, "No, silly sister, it takes two people to complete this one, remember?"

That's right, it does take two sets of hands to complete, Zamora thought. She put the book down, grinned now and gently parted Ravens bangs off her face, "Silly sister, don't you remember to cut your hair after it becomes too long?"

They both laughed softly, but a familiar noise stopped them instantaneously, the sound of a car engine. Hurriedly, Zamora darted off the sofa and gently positioned the small book back where it was placed. Raven seemed confused, "What book was that, Zamora?"

"A typical alchemy book, nothing more." She replied. Raven was not suspicious, only curious. There was a slight pause before Raven wrapped up her string with the loose paper, put it in a wicker basket near the recliner and jogged to the front door, "Do you think it is Mother and Father?"

The door opened and Zamora did not need to answer. Instead, she ran up into her Mothers open arms and exclaimed, "Mama!"

Father smiled at their embrace and tussled Ravens hair, "Wonderful to see you girls. It is rather late though…"

Raven smirked up at him, "We are not tired! We were just waiting for you two to come home."

Zamora agreed, pushing back the reminder of her punishment.

Mother let go of Zamora and hugged Raven now, "You girls should be off to bed then, yes? After all, we're home." Her voice melodious and composed, almost as Fathers.

Zamora pouted, "Raven is right, we're not in the least bit tired!"

"Well we are." Father pointed out, taking off his thick russet coat and fedora.

"Fine" sighed the girls and they headed in Zamora's room to go to bed. They did as told with getting ready. Zamora assisted Raven brush her long hair, promising to cut it later tomorrow if there was time. In return, Raven tidied the room while waiting for Zamora to finish dressing in a nightgown. They brushed their teeth, washed their hands and faces, and said goodnight to Mother and Father. When all was done, Raven lay on her mattress, based at the floor, and asked for Zamora to turn off the light. Running over to the door where the switch was, Zamora flipped it off, but instead of heading back to bed, she halted to hear her parents discussing something in the kitchen. Her breathing steadied, listening intently.

"We cannot just leave. The girls will become concerned and I don't want to worry them anymore." Mother sighed stressfully.

Father mumbled in return but Zamora was too far to hear what it was. He spoke up "Conscienta insists me to retrieve the Elixir. You know I promised myself I wouldn't go back to it."

Zamora gasped to herself, the Elixir of Life. The forbidden fragment of Alchemy that is to never be used, essentially when striving to obtain immortality? Why would the Curator Conscientia want that? I thought they shunned that kind of competence, Zamora thought hectically.

Father continued, "We have to act now."

"Why not just stay, see what unfolds? They know what we could do if felt threatened." Mother countered. Father didn't hesitate, "I am more or less convinced they have some idea of what we are capable of. Moreover, I have a somewhat suitable idea of what they can do. If anything, it won't be virtuous."

"Don't burden yourself. I'm almost sure this will all pass. They will not interfere with Zamora still becoming older. Until then, we should revel in this life as long as we can."

Raven whispered, squinting over to see Zamora quivering at the door "Big sister, what are you doing?"

Zamora flinched in surprise, but making no noise, turned to Raven and pretended it was nothing, "Merely listening in on our parents' discussion, that is all." She smiled openly and headed back to her bed. Raven was curious again, "What were they chatting about? It was not about the punishment, was it?"

This is where Zamora felt her heart descend, sink down to somewhere unknown. Zamora had two choices: She could lie and make up the entire issue of the parent's conversation so Raven would not worry, or, she could convey the truth and risk the chance of Raven distressing. Both choices would give significant complications in that moment as well as in the future. Yet Zamora thought this complete predicament over in her mind in a matter of seconds. She irrevocably came to a decision and replied, "No, Mama and Father were just discussing something the Curator Conscientia is looking for, some Alchemy stone, that's all. Father is worried it will disrupt our relationship with the other Guardians but Mother reassured him. It's nothing to concern about, Raven. And the punishment is more than likely forgotten." and with that, she dug herself deep in her bed covers, trying to forget all that was said by their parents. Raven, however, did not think anything of the dispute. That is what Zamora wanted, for her Bestia, Raven, to not think about what was overheard as something critical. Was this considered dishonest? That was truly the last thought on Zamora's mind.