Zombie | Teen Ink

Zombie

By devongravel, Milford, Ohio
devongravel, Milford, Ohio

Author's note: Zombie apocalypse.

Introduction
My name is Violet, and I’m a seventeen year old girl living on her own in California. Typical intro, I know, but my story isn’t typical.
Flashback.
The Beginning
I slammed my hand down on my alarm clock and rolled out of bed slowly. I stumbled over to my dresser and out of the corner of my eye, I saw it. It was human looking, had a discolored body, and had a very noticeable limp. It looked up at me and grunted through it’s teeth, then it started running at me. I fell onto the bathroom floor and locked the door, simultaneously getting out a screwdriver from under the sink. It was limping closer now, it’s grunts growing into screams. It banged at the bathroom door slowly, and at a steady pace. I sobbed between jagged breaths and scooted into the tub, hands around my knees, so I was a little ball. I put my head into my knees and thought about what to do next. What was it? Let me correct myself...what was he? He looked like some kind of zombie virus had taken over him, and acted as if he wanted to eat me alive. Was he signaling others like him by screaming? Why was he coming after me? I needed to think of something to do, and fast. The bathroom door was giving in, when the mysterious man finally stopped thrashing about. I slowly crawled out of the tub, and across the bathroom, and unlocked the door so quietly that it did not make any noise. I slid it open as quietly as possible, and peeked my timid face out into my bedroom again. I saw him limping down the hallway and making slight screaming noises, bumping into the walls every other step. I got out my cell phone to call 911, but my fingers were so shaky that I dropped the phone. The man turned about, and ran after me again. I scooted back up against the wall, bearing my screwdriver if he dared to come any closer. The man jumped onto me and tried to bite my cheek. I stabbed him with the screwdriver, whilst screaming, sobbing, and sweating crazily. He flopped onto the floor next to me, and I pushed him even farther away. I slid across the wooden floor on my back, my eyes going wild and my tears going into my gaping mouth. I picked my phone back up, and stuck it out the window to get signal, keeping my focus on the sky. My gaze finally wandered, and I looked down in horror, at a street filled with what appeared to be the same thing as the man. Men and women, grunting, bumping into each other and buildings. Some were even eating animals, hunched over them with raging anger in their faces. I quickly pulled myself back inside and my thoughts were frantic. What were those things? I switched on my radio, but listened with headphones for the fear of the people in the street hearing me.
the lady on the radio said in a frantic tone. Okay, so it’s a zombie virus. Those people in the street are zombies. The man that attacked me was a zombie. I am not a zombie...yet. I need to leave this place before my home is a zombie home. I crawled to my closet to get a suitcase, when my phone started making it’s loud beeping noise, meaning someone was calling me. I dashed over to it and answered, wondering who could call in such a state of emergency.
“Hello?” I answered.
“Violet?” the stranger asked.

“Can I ask who’s calling?”

“This is your best friend, Savannah.”

“Oh my god, are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. Did you hear the radio? They’re all zombies...”

“I know...”

“What should I do? I’m alone in my house and I just got attacked by one,” I said, with heavy breathing.

“Did it bite you?” Savannah asked worriedly.

“No...no, I don’t think so,” I huffed, checking my body. No bites, just bruises from fighting the zombie off.

“I’m at our old clubhouse in the woods behind my house, where we used to play at, remember?”

“Yeah. Yeah, I remember it.”

“Yeah, well it’s safe up here because those things can’t climb, but from what I’ve experienced, they have amazing hearing. Thank god they can’t see very well, but still be careful. Also, if you’re trying to kill them, stab their head. It’s the only way they’ll die.”

“Okay, I’m on my way,” I sighed, in conclusion.

“Oh, don’t go by car, go by foot, or else they’ll follow the sound of your car. Be careful,” she warned me.

“I’ll be there soon.”

I hung up the phone, and crawled over to my suitcase again. Packing t-shirts, pants, underwear, hoodies, and all of the clothes I had, my head was spinning. I couldn’t believe this was all happening. How? Oh well, that’s not the point. The point is that I’m alone, and Savannah is alone, and that is very dangerous. We need to travel together. I put on some black skinny jeans, and a hoodie, pulling my hair in a tight ponytail and my hood over it. I wore tighter clothing so that the zombies couldn’t grab me as easy. I went into my kitchen and got my pocket knife, and a couple other knives to keep me safe. Then, I got my small gun from the kitchen closet and packed it, along with all the bullets, into my bag. I went up to my room, and scoped out my car from the window, and the route I would take to get to it without getting noticed easily. I set to work, sliding down the stairs on my butt so I wouldn’t give them warning that I was coming. I crawled into my kitchen and put on my black combat boots, and put my other tennis shoes in the bag, which was now bulging with clothes and shoes and bullets. I went to the back door in the kitchen, and slowly turned the knob, only to find an older looking zombie, with white hair and broken glasses. I took it down slowly and silently, and knelt past it. I ran out with my legs bent, so I was close to the ground, and there were three zombies surrounding my car. I silently got over to it, when I remembered I had to go by foot. Savannah’s house was a couple streets over, but you could get there in ten minutes flat, if you went through the woods. I turned around, when suddenly my bag fell from my clutch. There were thirteen zombies in the street, and three by my car, if I remember correctly. It was all a daze considering it was the first time I had been face to face with more than one of them. I stood up and darted for the woods behind my house. I ran and ran and ran, stepping on crunchy leaves that let them know where I was. After about 2 minutes of zombies chasing me, I was out of breath, and I needed to think of somewhere to hide, and fast. I ran for a little longer, then took a stick and threw it (since the zombies weren’t necessarily smart). The zombies were chasing the stick as I threw myself into a ditch. They chased after the stick like rabid dogs, and when they came upon it, they acted confused, and started walking back to the streets after lingering around for a while. I got up slowly, and this time I made sure not to drop my bag. I made it all the way to the old clubhouse, and climbed up the ladder.

“Savannah, I’m here,” I said, to warn her.

“Oh my gosh, you scared the crap out of me!”

“Sorry,” I apologised while pulling myself into the house. When I got all the way up, I embraced her tightly. As long as we were together, we would survive.

“So...what do we do now?” I asked her.

“I’m not sure...we’re kind of stuck up here,” she mumbled. There was a long silence, and my mind overflowed with my thoughts.

Finally I said something, but felt stupid immediately after saying it, “Well according to all the zombie movies we need to find a house and build up defenses and find other survivors.” I turned to face the opening where the ladder was in the treehouse, and thought about jumping. What’s the point? We would all die from these things and there was no escaping it. Savannah said something, making me jump out of my clouded head. “What?” I asked.

“Yeah...yeah, we need to go find a house somewhere. I’m not sure how long we’ll have to travel, but we do need supplies.”

“Supplies?” I asked.

“Yeah, food, wood, beds, all the needs,” she replied.

“Oh, right. That makes sense. We need weapons too though, we need to be able to hold our ground if a lot of them come at us.”

“Yeah, that’s true. Right now I have a couple of the big kitchen knives from my house, and my neighbours gun that they gave me before they fled.”

“I have a screwdriver and some knives, too.”

“We can stop at the gun store and stock up on guns and bullets, and then we can go to a grocery store and fill up bags with food. Not refrigerated food, and not food that you have to cook. I’m pretty sure there will be no electric...”

“Then we need to find a house.”

“Then we need to find other people.”

“Okay, the plan is set,” Savannah said.

“Stick together?” I asked.

“Yes, of course.”

We both put our bags on our backs and gave each other a look of determination before looking out into the woods. There were no zombies around the tree house, but we could see some far off in the distance, grunting and falling down with their rotten limbs, which gave me a feeling of deep sadness. I climbed down first and kept watch while Savannah climbed down. When we were both on the ground, we walked efficiently, not wasting any time, for it would be dark out soon. I knew where the nearest grocery store was, and it was closer than the gun store. We didn’t walk on the road, we stayed in the woods right behind the rows of houses, so we didn’t get lost. When we arrived at the store, I told Savannah to be careful and we headed inside, putting many shopping carts in front of the doors just in case. Making a careless decision, we split up in the store.

“Fill your shopping cart with foods, and remember, no food that needs to be cooked,” Savannah said, in almost a whisper.

I grabbed a cart and headed toward the juice aisle. I turned the corner, and right in my face was a zombie with a store uniform on.

“Savannah!” I called, as the zombie came towards me. She rushed over and got the zombie off of me.

“Okay, now kill it.”

“What?” I cried in desperation, as the zombie grabbed my feet and I was crying in an instant.

“Kill it!” she yelled. I pulled out a knife and stabbed it. When it was dead and I had finished gasping for breath, I said, “Why didn’t you help me?”

“I’ve been killing them all day and night, I know how to do it. Slowly and quietly. You don’t, you have to practice somehow and what better way than to do it on the real zombies?”

“Fine, just don’t let me die.”

We continued on our way, and I was grabbing many canned foods off of the shelves. Soups, Spaghetti-o’s, canned fruit, boxes of cookies and bottles of water. Peanut butter, jelly, bread, chips, everything I could think of. I even grabbed some candy bars and nutrition bars. After supplying my cart with food, I met up with Savannah at one of the many cash registers. We went through our carts and Savannah being the smart one, got ten blankets, three packaged air mattresses and a tent.

“Smart thinking,” I told her.

“I know,” she replied with a smirk. We put all of our goods in store eco-friendly bags, and left the store. There were only three cars parked in the parking lot, to which none of them we had the key to.

“I know how to hotwire,” Savannah jumbled suddenly.

“Good, but how do you know how to hotwire?” I asked, laughing.

“I have my ways.”

We walked up to a red, sparkly Saturn, and Savannah jumbled my screwdriver in the trunk lock until it was open. We put all of our food and things in the trunk and walked around to the driver’s seat door. The window was rolled down, so I reached in and unlocked it, then went to the passenger side and got in. Savannah jumbled the ignition and some wires she got from the store, until a roaring engine sounded.

“Oh my God, Violet, that’s going to attract a million of them!” she yelled.

“Yeah, and we’ll be gone before they get here,” I smiled. I got into the driver’s seat since I drove better than her, and we drove onto the highway. “Okay, where are we going?” I asked.

“I don’t know. My cousins have a huge house up on a hill. It would be safer from zombies than living down here and we could fit more people if we find them.”

“Okay...that sounds good. Let’s do it, but you have to direct me there.”

“Okay...go right onto Finch Lane....you don’t need to stop at the light, keep going straight...right up at this stop sign...a little further down this road...there’s the bottom of the hill, see it?”
I did, indeed, see it. I pulled into the long, steep driveway and attacked the gravel with my huge tires. When the hill finally gave way, I saw the house. It looked like an antique dollhouse. It was painted white, with black shutters and two big black columns on the porch. The windows in the second floor led out to balconies, and I could see the windows to the basement. It had a huge gate wall all around the yard, circling the house and right behind the gate was the woods.
“What do you think?” Savannah asked, and got out to open the gate for our new car.
“I think it’s an amazing house to have during the zombie apocalypse.”
As Savannah signaled for me drive in, I pushed down on the gas pedal and parked in front of the house. “We need to clear the house for zombies before we bring in the food and stuff...” I trailed off.
“Oh...right...”
“I’ll get the weapons.” I brought out two swords we got from the store and handed her one. We walked into the big, dark green doors and stayed together. We snuck into the kitchen, where we saw a zombie eating a dog, and Savannah let out a sob, but covered her mouth. She looked at me with tears in her eyes, and I knew this was one of her family members.
“Oh my god...” she sobbed out. “That’s my cousin!”
“I’m so sorry Savannah,” I said, with desperation in my eyes.
“It’s okay...I know what needs to be done, it’s just that...”
“What?”
“I can’t do it, you’re going to have to.”
“Okay...” I said. Savannah went into the other room and I snuck up behind her cousin. She turned around and grunted at me with a bloody face. I stabbed her in the forehead and laid her gently on the floor, then slowly creeped into the living room where Sav was. “It’s done.”
“Thank you.”
“No problem. Everything will be okay. You know that, right?”
“I hope so.”
We went into the kitchen and I had Sav help me take the body outside. We checked the rest of the house, and it was walker-free. Then, we cleaned out the house until it was dark out. We found a room with a lock on it, found the key in one of the kitchen doors, and we stocked all of our food there so it wouldn’t get infected or anything. We kept the key in the same kitchen drawer we found it in, in an envelope, just in case we found other survivors. We didn’t know how far this plague would drive people, and we didn’t want anyone knowing that they had easy access to all of our food and water. Then, we had one room that locked from the inside. That would be our bedroom, we had decided. We put up the tent in the room, thinking that if a walker were to get in, it would at least buy us a little time. Then we put our sleeping bags inside the tent and found pillows from a couch downstairs. The power was out in this house, but in the basement there was a generator and gallons of gas that we used to power it. We had it pretty easy so far. Then we found an empty room, other than an empty bookshelf and a mattress frame. That was our bathroom. We put a can in the room and that was it. There were two cars parked outside the house with half-full tanks of gasoline. Savannah said that they were her Aunt Mary and Uncle Rob’s, and that they took the other car wherever they went. I told her that’s okay and we will be okay. We were both exhausted from the days work, so we both laid down in our tents after sharing a can of soup and a small amount of water. We locked the door and were asleep in an instant.

Three Months Later

Now that Sav and I were accustomed to each other, killing walkers, and scouting for supplies alone or together, life was much easier. I had regained my hope and not everything was sad to me, I could see the beauty in nature and even other people, just not the dead ones. We knew how to defend ourselves and had already come across one other person that we welcomed to our apocalypse-home, a boy named Lee. He wasn’t particularly brave enough to go out alone, but when we took him out, he was pretty invincible. He helped around the house, being our cook and helping us keep zombies out. He even comforted us when we were sad or lost hope. Lee was a very understanding person.

“Ready to go scout?” Sav asked me.

“Yeah, one second. I need my knife,” I said. I grabbed it from the drawer in our kitchen. “Lee, you want to come or stay at the house?”

“Uhh...I think I’ll stay here this time. I’m hungry, I haven’t eaten yet today. I’ll probably make a big dinner for all of us if you want,” Lee said.

“Okay, yeah, that would be great,” I said with a huge grin spreading across my face.

“Okay,” he said and winked at me.

Savannah and I left to go find supplies. It was funny, you could walk right out the front doors and feel like everything is normal, and everything is fine, that there weren’t cannibals around every turn. You could look the dead right in the eyes and not be afraid, and you could walk down the street without a care in the world. I guess with the right protection you could, anyway. We walked down the highway, and came across a small neighbourhood that we hadn’t scavenged yet. We walked in, and saw a group of zombies, hovering over a human body.

“Okay, what’s the game plan?” I asked Sav. Since this whole end-of-the-world thing had gone down, she had become skilled in the event of needing to devise a plan in a dangerous situation.

“You come up on their right flank, and I’ll take their left. If you’re stuck in a bad spot, just yell and I’ll be there,” she whispered to me. I crouched down and came up behind the zombies, slightly on their left, and killed one quietly. I killed another, and another, until there were no more lurking around the houses, and I heard Savannah yelling. I darted over to her as fast as my now-very-strong legs could carry me. I killed the one on top of her and then dragged the second one away from her and helped her up. She stabbed the zombie at the same time as she was being lifted off the ground.

After all of the zombies had been killed, I asked, “Are you okay? Were you bitten?”

“Yeah...yeah, I’m fine. Check my back for bites,” she said, gasping for breath every other word. I checked her back, and she was clean. We went into a small, pale-pink house, entering through it’s baby blue door. It looked sort of like a blown up doll house. Inside the house, there were a lot of things left. We checked the house for walkers, and when it was free, we scavenged. I picked up canned foods from the cabinets, and there was a wireless record player in the livingroom that I took. I knew that it would be difficult to carry back, but our house was right next to this neighbourhood. I looked through the records in the entertainment stand. The Kooks, The Ramones, Nirvana, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, and a bunch of amazing bands. I took them and shoved them into my bag. When we were ready to leave, I picked up the record player and walked out the door.

“Don’t you think it’s dangerous not to have both of your hands ready for an attack?” Savannah asked me. She looked at me like I was stupid.

“I’m fine, our house is right there. We need some form of entertainment!” I said while dancing next to her. She rolled her eyes and laughed at me. We had a safe trip back to our house, and I set up the player, put in a record (Nirvana), and turned it on. I kept the volume a a low, then re-learned all the words to Heart Shaped Box. Later that evening, Lee joined me.

“You really like Nirvana, don’t you?” he asked me, laughing and sitting down.

“Yeah, I miss being able to meet other people who love Kurt...” I trailed off.

Lee sat up attentitively. “I do...I love Kurt...I mean I love Nirvana,” he stuttered, with wide blue eyes.

I laughed at him and said, “Oh really? Name one song from their album ‘Incesticide’.”

“Molly’s Lips,” Lee said triumphantly. He started serenading me with the song Aneurysm, copying the way Kurt said his words. “COME ON OVER AND DO THE TWIST, OVER DO IT AND HAVE A FIT, love you so much it makes me...” he said, getting quiet on the last line. He looked me in the eyes. We started at each other for a long while, and I felt this connection, like he knew what I was thinking. I was indeed thinking that he directed the last line to me. He leaned over and put his hand on my cheek. “I do--I--I’m sorry,” Lee said, and went to his room. His whole face was bright red. What was that all about? Oh well. I’m sure he’s fine. I went into my bedroom and locked the door. I fell asleep next to Savannah, who was already snoring.

I awoke to the sound of knocking on wood. It was loud and crisp like the cold air in our apocalypse-home. I woke up Savannah and let her hear the sound for herself.

“What is that?” she asked, and panic overflowed her face.

“I don’t know,” I said with heavy breaths. We both hurried to our feet and grabbed a weapon. I had a bat and Sav had a small knife. We went down the stairs at the same pace, our footsteps in sync. She got on the right side of the door and I got on the left. I opened it and it was a man on his knees.

“Oh thank God! Please help me, please! I am so thirsty. I can’t be on my own anymore. I haven’t eaten in 3 days. Please!” the man shouted.

“Okay, okay we’ll help you, just stop being so loud!” I said. As soon as we got the poor man into bed, after giving him food and water, Lee busted in the front door.

“Guys! I found a radio while scouting for supplies, and it works,” he said.

“When did you leave?” Sav asked him.

“This morning, before you guys woke up.”

“You know you aren’t supposed to go out on your own. You could’ve woken me up!” I lectured him.

“I’m sorry...you guys looked sleepy so I left you.”

“Let me see the radio,” Savannah said, grabbing it out of his hand. She flipped the switch so it was on, and it rang out with static sounds. She sighed, then changed the channel. It changed sounds and sounded remotely close to a human speaking.

“H-hello? If anyone at all is out there, please help. My daughter and I are trapped inside this house. We can’t see out the windows and I don’t want to get us killed. Please...” the woman on the radio said. My eyes expanded and my mouth dropped.

Savannah pushed down the button and said, “Hello. Are you alright, ma’am?”

“Oh, oh my God. I have been trying the radio for months, I didn’t think anyone would ever answer me. Oh thank God,” she exclaimed, “ Please help us! My daughter is starving and we’re tired...”

“We’ll help you, don’t worry. We have a big mansion on top of a hill. Are you safe? Where are you?” I asked.

“We’re over by the supermarket, in the blue house with the boarded up windows. We are okay...the only thing we can do is be quiet. We’ll do our best. Oh thank you so much, you’re literally a life saver!”

“It’s the least we can do, considering it’s the apocalypse and all... we’re on our way.” I went into the room with the man. “What’s your name?” I asked him.

“My name? It’s Glenn.”

“Well, Glenn, we’re going to go rescue some survivors we heard over the radio. Stay in bed while we’re gone, you need to rest. I’ll have Savannah stay here with you.”

“Wow, so you guys are really like heroes.”

I smiled at him and walked out of the room. I carried my bat and brought Lee and knife. “Let’s go, Sav, you should stay here with Glenn,” I demanded. Lee and I walked out the door triumphantly and decided to walk, since the store was close. We walked along the road, since there were barely any walkers on it. The road was cluttered with cars and dead bodies, sprinkled with debris. The sky was a gloomy blue color, and the road was cracked and dried from the never ending sunlight. The trees were bare and thirsty for rain, towering over us with their might. The grass wasn’t green and alive like I had remembered it, it was grey and sad looking, and when I stepped on it, it fell to the ground without a fight. Panic and distress washed over my face, turning it pale.

“Are you okay?” Lee asked me and grabbed my hands, looking me in the eyes.

“Yeah...yeah, I’m fine. It’s just that everything looks so...dead,” I said.

“Oh...” Lee said. He looked around and looked back at me. “Everything will be okay. You know that right? It may be bad right now but it will get better. These things will die off and we will be okay. The national guard will do it’s thing, and we’ll find the rest of the survivors.”

“No we won’t, don’t you understand that? This is it, this is how it will be from now on. There is no government, no army, no national guard, we’re on our own.”

Lee sighed and fell to the ground, sitting on his butt. He was still holding my hands in his cold hands, and he pulled me down with him. We sat on the ground for a long time, looking at our surroundings, trying to find beauty in them. We sat until our hands were sweaty against each other, and then got up and started walking toward the supermarket. When I rounded the last corner, I saw the house, directly to the left of the supermarket. Even the houses paint was chipping, and looked pale and sickly. There were three walkers outside the house and one in the middle of the road. I nodded to Lee and we ran to the road. I killed the zombie in the road and then went to the outside of the house, where Lee helped me fight off the last three. After they were dead, we walked in the house. I was dark, and there were streams of sunlight coming in from the windows, where you could see the dust particles dancing in the musty air. There were bookshelves lining all four walls, and there was a small door in the back right corner.

“Hello?” I called. Lee was already in the next room.

“Oh my God...Violet, come here!” Lee yelled. I ran into the next room, which was painted a dark green color, almost black, with blankets and empty food cans sprawled across the floor. I looked along the bottom of the walls, where a little girl with blonde hair and freckles was sitting next to a dead body.

“Mommy,” the little girl cried, putting her hand on the corpses face. She was sobbing and shaking the corpse saying, “Wake up, please. Please wake up mommy.”

“Sweetie, get away from her...” I said, trying to warn her. I pulled the little girl away from the body just as her mom came back. I held the little girls arms as Lee raises his ax in the air to cut off the corpses head, and the little girl was screaming, “No, don’t hurt her, she’s not dead! She’s not dead!”

Lee finally killed the zombie and I pulled the little girl in, stroking her hair, and saying, “Everything will be okay...there was nothing we could’ve done, once you die, you turn...don’t cry, it’s okay.” Lee walked over to me and crouched down next to the girl.
“I’m sorry,” he said. The little girl didn’t say anything, but stared at him.
“It’s okay...” she whispered after a long period of silence. “I know she wasn’t my mom...she was one of them.” I grabbed the girls hand.
“What’s your name?” I asked her.
“Zoe.”
“Are you alone?”
“Yes...”
“Well then you’ll just have to come with us then.” She smiled at me and we went to the front door. I poked my head out a small opening, and the coast was clear. I rushed everyone across the road, and got onto the sidewalk.
When we reached our home, Zoe’s mouth gaped open. “Are you okay?” I asked her.
“This house...it’s huge!” I laughed at her, and we went inside. Savannah rushed to the door to make sure it was us, and then to make sure we were okay.
“Who is this?” Sav said, with a friendly smile.
“This is Zoe,” said Lee. “We found her with her mom...her mom didn’t make it.”
“Her name’s Andrea,” Zoe said, her face growing dark.
“Oh...Andrea didn’t make it,” Lee said, frowning. We walked down the hallway together.
“How’s Glenn?” I asked Savannah.
“I’m fine!” he shouted from his room. I laughed, and crouched down to Zoe’s height. “You must be starving.”
“I am...” she said quietly. I brought her a can of Spaghetti-O’s. “Thank you,” she mumbled. I went over to Lee. “Forget about what happened out there...okay?”
“Okay, but if you ever want to talk I am here.” I smiled at him and went into my room with a can of fruit for Savannah and I to split. She was sitting in the tent, making faint sobbing sounds. “Are you okay?” I asked her from the doorway. She immediately wiped her face and stopped crying.
“Yeah, I’m fine,” she said.
“Are you sure?”
“I said I’m fine,” she growled. I decided to stop pestering her, and went back into the main room to eat. “I think there’s something wrong with Savannah,” I told Lee as I sat on the floor next to him.
“What do you mean?”
“I walked in our room, and she was in the tent crying.”
“Oh...did you ask her what’s wrong?”
“Yeah...she just said she was fine. I think I made her mad by asking a second time so don’t go in there to try and cheer her up.”
“Okay...” Lee said. There was an awkward silence and I got up to leave the room. “Don’t go,” Lee said suddenly, and a bit too loud.
I turned to him and asked, “Why not?” I was astounded that he even wanted to be in the same room as me considering I created many awkward silences.
“I don’t want you to, that’s all.”
“You don’t?”
“No...I like being around you.”
“You don’t have to lie to me...”
“I’m not,” he said, rushing to stand up. He walked over to me before I could even blink, and he held my hands in between of our bodies. He looked at our hands for a long while, and then looked me in the eyes. “I really do like being around you, honestly, you’re amazing, Violet. Nothing scares me as much as the fact that I could lose you, not even those zombies out there.”
“Really?” I said in a feeble voice I had never heard come out of my own mouth before.
“Yes, really.”
“But...I’m just a wreck, I’m chaos.”
“I’d take the beauty of chaos over ugly perfection,” he said. I was speechless, I couldn’t even think of anything to say to top that. I was thinking so many thoughts. I was thinking that we could just talk to each other and explore each other’s minds, and we could just lay together and explore each other’s hearts, and I was thinking about how his words came directly from his beautiful soul, and intertwined with mine. Yet I just stayed silent and smiled an idiotic smile. Lee leaned in and kissed me, and then Savannah walked in, with puffy cheeks and tired looking eyes.
“Hey...” she said.
“Hi...are you alright?” I asked her.
“Yeah, I’m fine. Just miss my mom.”
“I’m sorry Savannah,” I said, rushing over to hug her.
“It’s okay,” she said in a puff of air. I let go of her and she looked tired, just tired.
“You need to sleep, you look exhausted,” I told her. She didn’t say anything, but she headed back to our room and left the door unlocked for me to come in later. I followed her in and layed down next to her and slept, for it was already dark outside, and winter was coming.
Next Year
I awoke to the sound of a voice on our radio. The trees outside were naked and bare, coated in snow along with the stiff grass. There were no flowers, no sun, no cars, no people. Just the color white. The roof of our house was blanketed in snow and our yard was filled with tiny snowmans from Zoe playing outside.
I sat straight up, almost startled to hear anything other than static. Savannah sat up right next to me, and we both sat there, lifeless and dull, for the opportunity to be saved was never an option until now.