The Gang | Teen Ink

The Gang

May 9, 2019
By bmackinnon, Baraboo, Wisconsin
More by this author
bmackinnon, Baraboo, Wisconsin
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

This was a short story I created for a Class. Not really into writing all that much but this is for sure my best writing

Requis Valentine is an African American boy who was adopted by a white couple in 2013. He was dropped off at the orphanage by his mother who could no longer take care of him, she thought the best option for him was to be with a new family. The day he was adopted he felt completely out of place. The first day of school came and he definitely knew he wasn't going to be fitting in. He saw nobody who looked like him. He was out of place, and had no friends. Until he met the gang.

Requis officially joined the gang when he was 12 and 5 years later he is ripped, rebellious, and angry with the world. The gang has been the most stable thing in his life since he was brought here. Requis still attends school to please his parents but that doesn't mean he tries. His teachers see his potential but he doesn't see it in himself. Requis took the easy way out, he felt nobody would welcome him. One day he was arrested, that was the day he changed.

Requis spent 5 years of his life in a gang, skipping school, participating in illegal events. But if you asked his teachers to describe Requis after he was arrested you wouldn’t even know he was the same person. He turned his life around, he realized that being angry at the world is harder than trying to enjoy the wonderful life he was blessed with. He began to work hard in all of his classes, he went from a 2.0 GPA to a 3.6 GPA by the time he was graduating. The top police academies were contacting him saying how honored they would be to have him as part of their team.

His parents were always supportive and never gave up hope that Requis would leave the gang and become the amazing child they knew he was, when they received the call that Requis’s best friend Marcos was murdered they feared that Requis would fall back into his old ways. But when they told him Requis broke down into tears, Marcos was the only person who welcomed him when he first arrived. Requis knew that the gang leader was responsible for the death of Marcos. He vowed that once he was a detective that he would put an end to the gang.

Requis was the top of his class, everyone was jealous of how knowledgeable and quick learner he was. He passed every physical and written exam. When the first day of his new job began he was extremely eagar, nervous and excited. Being a detective was better than he expected. Everyday was a new day of finding evidence, interrogations and stake outs. But even though he was successful and changed his life around Requis lived with the guilt of Marcos death and decided it was time to find the gang leader.

Since Requis was in the gang he had the most knowledge and understanding of how the whole gang runs. He gather a team of well trained detectives, they started gathering all the information they could on every member. When the detectives were finally ready to make their move, they planned a 3 day stake out waiting for the right moment to take down the gang leader. Just as they were about to leave when Requis noticed someone moving behind a building, he sprinted towards the figure. It was the leader of the gang. The leader of the gang ran away and requis was chasing him down when he ran into a the whole gang. He was now in a pickle, he didn’t know they set him up just like how they set up to get the leader. The gang now turned it on him and are now capturing the lead detective.

“ Hey boys, how are y’all doing?” Requis sighed.

One of the guys that were a good friend of Requis when he was in the gang replied, “Just fine you snake, What do you think you are up to? Why are you turning on the gang and going against us?”

“If you didn’t know your leader killed one of your own Shathead, He killed Marcos and now I am coming after him to avenge Marcos. I think you would want the same!”

“Yes you are right, let me tell you something… We are going to let you go and I’ll talk to you later. We will discuss how some of us can help.” Shathead said.

Requis and his squad of detectives head out. Requis was highly confused and was trying to plot how to take down the leader.. He needed a different approach than what they attempted last time. He wanted to go in just him so it was less obvious. He would use the help of Shathead and some of his old friends in the gang. Just so it’s easier to get in and closer to the leader. He wasn’t quite sure how he was going to take him down, whether or not he kills him or just takes him in. Shathead called Requis and he told him to meet at their old meet up spot which was an abandoned warehouse by a boat dock. So Requis took his Dodge Charger and raced down to the “spot”, he beat Shathead down there and was waiting for him for at least 30 minutes. Shathead finally showed up and they started discussing the “gameplan”.

“The leader is planning a heist at Francis Bank, One of the biggest and most wealthiest banks in the world”, Shathead said.

“Do you have anyone in the gang wanting to help with this plan?” Requis asked.

“I have 5 guys willing to help, the others don’t want to go against their leader, so it won’t be an easy task Requis.” Shathead said uneasily.

“5 people is enough for what I have planned, have everyone willing to join me meet at the “spot”.”

Requis and Shathead parted ways, Requis knew he had a lot of planning to do if he was going to capture the leader and avenge Marcos. He gathered blue prints, surveyed the bank and finally had created a full proof plan that would succeed. When Friday finally came Requis headed to the “spot” and knew everything had to be exact.

“ Boys I have a plan that is going to work the best for the amount of people we have” Requis said.

“What is the plan boss” Shathead said.

“The boys in the gang will go with the leader to the “heist” and when you arrive there you are going to prop open the backdoor so that I can easily get to the leader. Then from their I am going to come in and purposely get caught. He will be focused on me and not the heist, so when he captures me that’s when you all come into play. You guys will show up and circle him and whoever has the best shot take it. If it is multiple of you then all take shots.”

“So our goal is to kill our leader?” one of the gang members asked.

“Yes we are taking down the person that killed a innocent best friend of ours, I think our actions are reasonable for the actions and feelings he has put us through, would you all not agree?” said Requis.

“Yes boss. We are in, we agree fully and he has been threatening us all, so it’s time he finally goes down.” Shathead said angrily.

“Shathead when is the final date of the planned heist?”

“He has planned it for this coming Wednesday.”

Everyone left but Shathead stayed behind and was looking at all the blueprints Requis had printed up. He was determining how he was going to get the leader to a good room for Requis to jump into and get “captured”. This room also needed the most doors and the most angles to be able to get a good shot off. The best room that he found was a room in the dead middle of the bank.

The day of the heist finally arrived, Requis gathered all the men and went over the plan one final time. He was nervous, he knew how much could go wrong if the plan didn’t go exactly as they discussed.

“This is it boys. Do everything as planned and nothing will go wrong.” Requis worried.

The gang arrived at the bank with AK-47’s and masks on. Requis was on the side of the street waiting for them to go inside. That is when he would make his way to the alley and to the back door they planned to prop the door open. He got there and it wasn’t propped open yet.

“What the hell? What is going on they should’ve propped it by now!”

Then suddenly that is when the door flew open and smoked Requis in the head. He got up and saw it was the gangs leader. Requis with all his might brought himself up onto his feet. He then chased after the leader. He chased him all through alleys and into different stores. The leader was not giving up but Requis being the athletic type he is was more in shape than the leader. They ended up getting to a certain spot in town that him and Marcos only knew about. It was a small building at the edge of town that they always hung out at. Requis then started to question who this guy was. Requis finally caught up to him and took him down. He flipped the mysterious man over and proceeded to take his mask and hood off. In disbelief it was Marcos. His long lost friend.

“I thought you were dead…” Requis said shockingly

“I faked my death because I had a lot of people coming after me… I did for our own good. I’m sorry to put you through all this. But it was to help you.”

“I don’t know why you did it for me though?”

“I did it because I knew I was a bad influence on you and now look at you, grown man and you are now a detective after all your dark years while being with me, I knew that if I was gone you would work harder and do good things in life.”

“It wasn’t your fault, I am the one to blame for my actions, you didn’t have to do all that to help me!”

“I’m just glad you turned out okay, I’ve regretted my choice of faking my death all these years. I’ve missed you” Marcos says sadly.

“I have missed you too… it hasn’t been the same without you all this time.”8

“Marcos can you promise me something?” Requis asked.

“What is that?

“Stop with the gang stuff, so I won’t have to end up arresting you later on. You are my boy and I don’t want to be the one arresting you. It’d kill me.” Requis claimed.

“I got you bro, I promise.” Marcos stated.

Marcos and Requis both left there spot together and walked together back to the bank. They talked the whole way and when they finally arrived to the bank Shathead and everyone else was still there. The reason why Marcos started running is because Shathead and all the gang members tried to kill him themselves.

“Shathead with you not following the plan, it saved our best friends life.”

“What do you mean?” he asked.

Requis takes off Marcos’s mask. “It’s Marcos, He faked his death to help me and save my future.”

“I can’t believe it. You are alive. I’ve missed you so much man. I’m so sorry that I literally tried killing you.” Shathead says.

“I did it for the best. But I have a ton of people still coming after me that’s also why I did it.”

All of a sudden a Black Sedan pulled up and 7 people hop out, all with MP5’s. It was the rival gang. They wanted to kill Marcos. They started firing shots trying to execute. There was a huge standoff right outside Francis Bank. Shots and shots rolling passed everyone's heads. They had incredible aim. But Requis is part of the police force and has the most training out of anyone. He started firing back and was hitting his shots. He and everyone else fought back and killed everyone that pulled up. Requis and Marcos look back and saw Shathead on the ground. He was shot twice. Both right in the chest. He was slow breathing and was about to go.

“Marcos I love you man, thank you for everything you have done for Requis and I. You really have saved us both. Same with you Requis. I’m gonna miss you both.”

Shathead bled out on the steps of the bank. Marcos and Requis were both crying and called the ambulance. When the ambulance arrived they pronounced him dead on the scene and Requis and Marcos both drove away. Marcos stopped his ways and no one was coming after him anymore. Requis is the top detective at the office and is still busting gangs and every crime possible to avenge Shathead. Marcos and Requis planned Shatheads funeral and invited everyone in town. The day of the funeral everyone in the town showed up, Marcos and Requis were very surprised by the turn out and even the Mayor of the town showed up. The Mayor then walked up to the two and said,

“Shathead is a true hero to this city. He has always been helping the police force taking down gangs. He was basically a part of the police force team with all the help he brought. He was loved by everyone except other gangs. It is now up to you guys to keep everyone safe and to take down all the gangs around town to clear up this city.”

Marcos and Requis teamed up and took down every single gang left in the city. The Mayor gave them recognition and did not let their work go unnoticed. He gave them the key to the city. They have saved the city from all the hurt it went through.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.