The Ninth Circle | Teen Ink

The Ninth Circle

By Babycookies3, Grand Prairie, Texas
Babycookies3, Grand Prairie, Texas

It was originally at 3 to 5 paragraphs creative writing assignment for my English class, but my teacher encourages me to get feedback outside of the school..

This is just a draft novel

(1)(Sal’s POV)

“Where am I?.......w-what am I?”, 

Gazing down at what I assumed was my hands I saw a thick liquid streaming down my elbows and hitting the soundless abyss. I studied my surroundings noting that although there was no visible light I could perfectly see the everlasting nothingness in the space I occupied.As the liquid hit the ground I noticed ripples,like that of water, but I stood firmly in my place walking forward a couple steps without sinking. Echocs slowly start to fill the space as I feel myself start to descend.. 

“H-Help me?!                  

“It hurts-please”

“PLEASE,anyone!”                        “AugHhHh-“

The many hands now wrapped tightly around my body further bring me down.The anguished moans and unintelligible whispers only drive my panic further as I feel my heart start to race. Clawing at the hands seems only to produce more as my face is submerged under a thick black liquid. It slowly starts to fill my lungs and the charred,almost tar like taste engulfs my senses. 

“ I don’t wanna die, I don't wanna die, I don't want to die, I don’t want to-.”

*GASP*

Looking around at the familiar white walls of my hospital room I exhale shakily as Ms.Peters ,rushes into the room. “Sal-” her voice cracks slightly in panic,”I could hear how high your heart rate was from six feet under!” You could see sweat begin to form on her upper eyebrow as she checks my vitals to make sure nothing was wrong. Ms.Peters, better known as Jae, was by far my favorite nurse. Not only was she a looker with her honey colored eyes and natural fiery red hair that seemed to always flow in waves down past her shoulders,she also always treated me with the most care and encouragement since I was admitted here as a child.

“You know it's the same as always Jae, just another night terror” I joke.

She looked over at me in a disapproving manner confirming that nothing ,but perhaps my mental state, was in question and sighs loudly. “Silly boy,why do you always seem to like giving me a scare. The doctor would have my head if you go hurt-.” Suddenly she went quiet looking startled at what she just said, ‘So what was it about this time buddy?”, quickly changing the subject she pulled up a chair beside the bed with an eager look on her face. Sal looks at her suspiciously for a few seconds before explaining his dream to her like he’s done so many times before.

“It starts like it does everytime,i-im in this dark place and it's neverending just miles and miles of darkness,but this time it was different-” He hesitates, seeming unnerved about reliving the events he just endured. 

“This time someone- no SOMETHING was with me. It pulled me under the muddled water and all I could feel were how badly my lunds burned a-and it was so cold i couldn't even call for help-” I

Sal didn't notice that he started shaking until he felt Jae wrap her arms around him, her warmth acting as a soothing presence and causing him to settle down. 

“It’s okay Sal you don't have to tell me anymore”,she comfortingly rubs circles on my back.”How about I go get breakfast and we can start your treatments earlier?” Jae stands and looks at her wristwatch, setting the chair back against the wall and walking toward the door. 

‘Will the doctor be coming today, can I go outside?” I ask with little hope. Jae’s hand stops on the doorknob and I feel the room get several degrees colder. Looking in the reflection you can see that a blank look has covered her face as she whispers to herself. She turns with a distant look on her face and mutters a small no before the familiar light comes back and she offers a small smile.”Sorry buddy you know the rules no one leaves their room until discharge.” She then turns and leaves the room before I can ask anymore questions. I sigh to myself and lay back against the plush hospital mattress flicking on the tv. As I absentmindedly filter through the different stations I make the resolve that I was gonna get out of the room one way or another.

(3rd person POV)                                                                            

Outside the room Jae stands perfectly still breathing shallowly as a silver haze now replaces her once bright eyes.The blank space has always been her least favorite place. “_REPORT_” , A guttural voice looms over her and reviberates in her core. The tall...thing had no defined shape.It's body was twisted and carved in so many directions and no one dare try to look it in the eye.”Yes, sir Belz the boy is developing better compared to the others, although there is no physical change yet the visions are becoming more vivid.” Jae crosses her hands behind her back and squeezes her wrist tightly. The urge to run,to escape the overwhelming presence that ‘Belz’ emits has her almost shaking where she stands.”_AND THE OTHER?_ It states simply.

“#00246, also known as David shows similar results although I find he isn't as…pleasant to serve sir-” Jae starts to speak before she suddenly interrupted “YOUR PETTY HUMAN COMFORT IS OF NO CONCERN TO ME, MAKE SURE THE CHILDREN GROW SEPARATELY AND IN GOOD HEALTH,UNDERSTOOD?_” Jae stiffly nods before  turning down the dimly lit corridor and checking the vitals of the other many test subjects in the blank space.’Belz’ studies the two doors labeled David#00246 and Sal#00247 “_TWINS...HOW STRANGE_” It then turns and disappears liquefying into a black puddle before sinking into the equally dark floor bed.

In the neighboring room a boy starts banging on his door shouting profanities and curses to whatever demon has kept him  here.He suddenly stills as a chill runs down his spine, “hello ‘Doctor’”, he spits harshly glaring at the creature that often visits him.’_DAVID YOU KNOW THE RULES...IT WOULD BE A SHAME IS POOR SAL HAD THE MISFORTUNE OF MEETING ME_”.

At his words David growls harshly the sound low and full of malice.” You leave Sal out of here we had an agreement he wasn't to be  touched.”. The creature laughs crudely,

”_SUCH A CARING BROTHER FOR ONE WHO DOESN'T EVEN KNOW YOU EXIST_”. The entity mocks David amused at his sacrifices for one he won’t ever meet. “My motives have nothing to do with you demon ,we made a deal, Sal wasn’t to be touched;I can feel the energy he emits in his sleep from here explain yourself!”. The entity sighs and slowly glides towards David, leaning down so it's pitless eyes stare into his emerald green ones. 

“_I DO NOT NEGOTIATE MY PLANS WITH LESSER BEINGS MORTAL_”

.The entity then vanishes again leaving David to slowly slide down the wall.”I’ll get us outta here Sal,or i'll die trying-”

(David’s POV)

It was odd for the ‘nurses’ to see one of the patients free roam throughout the blank space.David always put them on edge as it was drilled into their head that death was the only mercy if the twins were to ever meet;However David was known to have a violent almost animalistic reaction to any type of challenge to his authority unless the entity was present. No they just tended to tread lightly around and always make sure the access to the twins rooms were never open at the same time.This time though David had a different plan in mind.

“Give me his access key”

Jae looked at the teen in front of her with a blank stare. Pity reflected in her eyes as she wished she could help the boys. “You know the rules David, you're not allowed to see him.”. His forehead creases as rage fills his eyes,cracking the reinforced concrete near her head creating a long jagged line.“ I don't give a DAMN what instructions that monster gave you. Give me the access key or I'll pry it from your corpse wench”. A new vigor envelopes Jae, tears springing in her eyes as a flurry of emotions shudder through her. “You think I WANT this?! To hurt the child that I practically raised? To hear how much pain he's in or his optimism of leaving one day without being able to tell him he'll most likely DIE here-” Jae chokes on a sob fallin down to her knees. Her sorrow shakes her body like an injured sparrow and the raw emotion and pain  for Sal seems to calm David.

“Then help me, I can free us, I can keep him safe- please you don’t understand that monster plans”

David feels tears start to swell in his eyes but chokes them down as a limp hand slides a smooth metal card into his. He offers a hand helping Jae off the ground as she rubs her now puffy eyes with a new resolve. “We’ll get him out of here I owe the kid that much”.Following closely behind the nurse David developed an almost giddy feeling at meeting his younger twin for the first time. He’d sacrifice so much to keep him safe for the tourture he’d experienced as a child in the blank space,Though most of all it all did was get him knocked out before his treatments he was ready to see the fruits of his efforts. 

Turning the knob Jae walked in first and motioned for him to wait outside the room for a moment.”Jae!” Sal yells loudly, the genuine happiness and innocence in his voice causes Davids knees to buckle.”Where have you been im starving~.”Jae looks back at the slightly open door once more and motions and david to come in.”Well there was someone who couldn't wait to meet you and I got a little sidetracked-” Jae laughs hollowly, and empty almost unfeeling sound.”Meet? I thought we...couldn't have...visitors?”

Sal’s POV)

As I stare past Jae there stands a boy that looks just like me,albeit probably a little taller, but I wouldn't mistake that face anywhere else. I stumble to my feet as I watch the boy fully steps around Jae. His eyes held so much pain and anger but there was also so much love and it was directed towards me.His body had scars as far as the eye could see and he seemed to wear them proudly Moving closer I held my breath as I raised a shaky hand and placed it over his heart 

THUMP,THUMP,THUMP

He was real,A steady rhythm flowed from his chest and a deep laugh startled me out of my trance. ”Breath Sal” the mysterious boy tells me and I find myself listening to his order.”J-Jae what is this-WHO is this,I-.” Thousands of questions fill my mind and I feel my knees grow weak at the sudden headache. I feel two arms behind me hold me up as Jae motions us to sit on the bed. She then nervously looks at the door and starts.”Well kid where to Start?-”

“Long ago there lied a hidden plane,existence there was eternal and usually nothing ever got in-or out.I used to be a waitress,can you believe that, and now look at me in charge of one of the main projects in the ninth circle-”

“Ninth...circle?” Sal looks at the other boy who just shakes his head and motions to continue listening.

“The ninth circle is a name the humans gave this place. It refers to the notion from biblical depictions in some ways, and you climb in the ranks the less amount of humanity is present. Were currently in building one the highest ranked and least sought after position. It holds some of the most foul people, if you can call them that, and is constantly monitored.You two however are an exception,the monster that governs this realm; BELZ, you two were to be his successors.Not fully human and not  fully...whatever that thing is-.”

A shudder rolls down her spine thinking of the monster she calls boss.

“Anyways you two reside in the blank space,a location separate but still within the circle.Only a few subjects live here and it's one of the safer options in higher management.My job was to watch you grow and make sure your memories and relationship stayed separated until IT wanted to see you both.,however it seems David has a knack for getting everyone but himself slaughtered.” The boy, David’s, jaw clicked as he tightly clenched his fist.

“You don't know what they were doing to him,It was far worse than any physical torture that they could inflict on me!” His eyes met mine as I flinched back at the harshness that lingered. 

“W-What do you mean torture I’ve just been confined to this room but it had everything id even need beside human contact.” I mummer, shifting my eyes to be anywhere but his.

“Those dreams you have ,the ones where you're sinking in the valley of the circle? They're just suppressed memories.They’ve been forcing you to turn into...whatever that monster is and killing you for YEARS!” a newfound anger lit up in Davids eyes as Jae puts her head down in shame.

“I'm sorry Sal...I never wanted you to find out like this. I tried to make it as comfortable for you as possible b-but that's about all I could do” A fresh batch of tears swell in the corner of her eyes and she forces herself to calm down.

“Anyways as much as I love the little reunion that we set up we should really leave before IT comes back.” Jae hurriedly ushers us out of the room and into a dark corridor. Looking down at the floor beneath my feet I see the same strange water like substance that was present in all of my night terrors. David lighty grabs my hand the the contact feels forien to me.”I have a brother…I have a family..” A small smile creeps on my face as a feeling of euphoria fills my being. I feel him squeeze my hands back in response and we shuffle behind Jae to an unfamiliar room

Pulling a card out of her front pocket Jae opens a door that leads into a small office-type area. As David and I stand by the door she begins to rummage through the many different drawers until she pulls out two files labeled:TWIN_PROJECT.Scanning through the papers she nods to herself before turning towards us.

“OK, this has all the information we’ve ever collected on you guys and the experiments conducted. You’ve both developed some interesting abilities due to the different stress we subjected your body to.You might want to look into it later.”

David looks annoyed when she brings up the treatments they gave us.Grabbing the files he nods his head and grabs my hand again before exiting the room. AS we continue to walk thought the building I notice many rooms similar to my own. Kids, if you could still call them that, sit in various rooms,soom isolated and other with several people;Jae notice me glancing around an offers some insight.

“We breed many types of subjects here,some prefer isolation as with others......there really isn't a choice.Once you see enough people get ripped limb from limb you learn to leave it alone.”

Continuing to walk down the corridor a large metal door appears at the end of the hall. Jae starts to dismantle the small keypad beside it, ripping different wires apart and matching them to other.She stands with an uncertain face and turns ushering us through the door.Once we’ve safely passed she sighs and the exits as well locking the door behind her.

“Never done that before, she laughs in relief, “I Was afraid I'd fry your pretty little head since you're not registered.” She pets Sal's head softly combing her fingers through the unruly curls.”f-fried?” Sal looks to David who maintains an unbothered appearance given the news that they could have possibly died. Looking around Sal notices that you can see eight distinct arrears below the plane he was currently on ,Each larger than the next.He was surprised by the sheer number of different people and creatures he could see walking around the dark and depressing environment like it was completely natural.Looking up he could see ripples move through the “sky” and a reflected back to his was the real world.You could see trees and buildings,hell it seemed you could see the insects if you looked long enough.He suddenly longed to feel untainted air on his skin,to explore a life somewhere outside that horrid hospital room,and interact with people who were actually 100% human.He looks down, sticking close to David as Jae pull them into an alleyway.

“Okay guys getting you out the facility was the easy part...getting you down to the first circle and out of here gonna be a littttttle harder.The border of each circle requires blood identification.You can always travel to a lower circle but if unauthorized ,that's when it gets messy.” She lowers her voice as footsteps start to get closer.Pulling us back further into the alley a tall figure patrols the street.From where we stand it looks at least seven feet tall,its body elongated in disgusting ways and it's mouth looks like it's been broken and permanently unhinge.Its eyes ,or lack of, are two burnt holes in it's skull but it still feels like it's gaze is on you as it stares in our direction. My chest feels like it's crushed in as my breathing quickens.I feels a sense of rising panic,dizziness engulfing my head and my hands start to sweat.

“Woah nononon- he’s gonna shift “,David looks at Jae, a cold sweat going down his brow.He grabs my face and makes me look him in the eye,glancing back at the creature that slowly starts to cross in our direction. “Sal hey you’re- look at me,HEY look at me! You're gonna be alright buddy but I  just need you to calm down for me kay?.” A shaky smile creeps on his face. Jae reaches in her coat and starts to pull out a syringe of blue luminescent liquid.”Woah, what the f*ck, your gonna do that now?”David looks at Jae incredulously.”If he doesn't calm down we're all as good as dead you hear me!” she whispers harshly. My panic rises as I remember it from somewhere but just can't place my finger. I groan as my eyes start to burn, like someone started heating them from within,I feel a liquid similar to tears stream down my face only thicker. Touching it I look down only to now see that there was blood on my hands.

̵Å̸̶̴̸̶̶̶̶̴̴̷̶̶̶̴̳͙̼̤̯̤̃͛͐̆̄̀͜Ḩ̴̶̵̶̷̷̶̷̵̷̵̷̵̷̴̙͓̣̬̜̞̈̓̉̀͂̑͝H̸̸̶̶̵̵̵̵̵̷̵̷̶̶̵̷̸̸̸̪̦͚̰͔͎̖͎̊̀͑̑͋̔̽̃͟͡u̵̴̴̶̸̵̶̴̴̶̷̸̷̶̶̴̴̡̢͙̫̫̦̹̙͐̀͗̀͂͋̈͝u̸̷̵̵̸̷̵̶̷̴̴̷̷̵̶̸̵̡̩͉̟̗̱̪̟̎̓̾́̾̂͠͠G̷̵̵̷̴̵̸̴̷̷̴̷̵̴̷̷̶̯͚̪̬̝̣̤̗͐̐́̓̓̄̄͘ģ̸̷̷̸̵̵̵̵̷̸̸̴̶̴̷̼̝̩̺̭̮̈́̏̃̇̾̊͞ģ̸̷̵̴̷̵̶̷̴̷̷̴̷̶̴̭̳̗̬̙̔̿̅̀͆̇̀ͅH̴̴̶̴̴̷̸̷̴̵̷̵̴͍̯͖͎̲̥̓͋͑̾̇̔h̴̸̴̴̶̴̵̸̷̶̴̠͇̠͎͉̆͐͋͆͝h̸̴̴̷̸̷̵̵̶̴̶̵̸̷̵̷̴̶̸̵̷̢̭͍̩͓͈̺̝͍̞̐̄̂́̑́̊͂͞͞h̴̴̶̷̸̸̷̷̵̵̴̸̴̷̴̶̴̸̵̨͉̯͉͎̙̺͖̖̆͐̒͊̅͊̕̚͞H̸̴̷̸̴̵̷̶̶̴̷̵̸̶̵̶̶̶̷͙͚͎͇͎̱̘̞̟̓́̋͆͂̏̀͘͞

A pain filled screech pulls the creature's attention away from our current hiding spot as it throws its head back and returns a similar sound.It then runs back in the direction it came until we can no longer hear it's footsteps.I start to calm down as David combs his fingers through my hair until the shaking stops. Jae replaces the syringe back in its respective place and turns her attention back to us.'' Those are what we call Lokoroz,creatures that he created to maintain order throughout this hell. The higher the level the stronger those things tend to be so I would advise against fighting them til...at least the fifth stage-Even then only if necessary.” While we catch out breath I look at Jae and David for an explanation on what the hell just happened to me. They share equally unmotivated faces before nodding. David turned to me, closing his eyes and putting his hand out.The skin started to turn black as if he were being burned and an black alligator like texture took its place.His nails grew long,sharp and thick and you could tell that was a noticeable increase in strength.

“What they did to me-to us,altered our gene structure.The goal was to get us as close to that thing as possible without killing us in the process.I don't know exactly what they did to you but it was much worse then my treatment.” He stopped suddenly looking uncomfortable ,“Your screams used to vibrate through the room and what you became honestly...scared me more than IT.” He shook his and dusted his pants,getting up he offered me his hand.Jae collected herself as well before exiting the alleyway. “We should go before they decide the call wasn't as urgent as it seemed.”

(David’s POV)

Walking behind the redhead I could feel my brother's tenseness through our joined hands,squeezing mine so hard his knuckles turned white. I rub my thumb across his knuckle affectionately glancing back and offering a smile.Peters starts to explain more about the different levels of the circle and their purpose.I halfway couldn’t give a damn but forced myself to listen for Sals sake.I already know much of this stuff from reading through reports of the other patients.

“As I said before the ninth circle is treated more as an experimental facility but that really only applies to the upper three floors.Many different types of creature and demons reside and work on the lower six levels.It’s not as Tortures but nobody really wants to be promoted past the fourth level...Anyways If we can make it down to the sixth floor smuggling you guys out of here will be significantly easier;assuming we’re not caught.”

Sal nodded his head vaguely understanding what he was being told. We stopped as we heard wet footsteps followed by an array of snarls. Soon the foul smell of blood and rotten flesh invaded our senses, causing Sal to gag slightly behind me.I tug him down to crouch behind rubble,most likely cause by whatever lies ahead of us,as we both glance at Peters.She motions us to stay hidden as she walks ahead towards the noise and the creatures attention all turn to the new step of footsteps approaching.Suddenly Jae pull out a small dagger, cutting a thin line and letting the blood pool in her hand.She then walks to the tallest of the group and spills the blood at its feet.

“⌿̵͈̳̻̪̝̏̃́⟒̸̻̩́̑̎̃⏁̸̰̯̗̊̓̈́́̚ͅ⟒̷̞̔͌̊̉̽͘⍀̵̬̣̳̘̪͇̒͑⌇̵̢̭̖̥̩͍͌̓̏͑̂-̵̨̛̛͎̩͆⟟̷̣͎̞̬͖̘̍̕⎅̴͍̱͐͋̇̑͗:̷̤̀̌̔̎̃☊̷̢̬͉̖̠͒⏃̸͙͍͎̯̆̄͜͝⍀̶͙̟̞͆⟒̷͕͖͒́⏁̶͓̠͎͖̲̊̄̆̈́̕ͅ⏃̸̟̗̬́̓͌̆☍̴͖̕⟒̵̗͌̾⍀̵̹̎̍̈́͊̎̈́”

Her eyes once again glaze over as she makes a strange clicking-gurgle noise.There’s an unsteady silence as Jae then repeats herself;I push Sal closer to me just in case… whatever she’s doing, doesn’t work.The creature returns a similar noise before standing to its full height,it studies Jae for a second,then saunters past in an uncomfortable pattern,it's painfully disfigured body bending and snapping in different directions.Once out of sight Jae motions us to once again follow her.She begins to walk ahead as I put myself between her an Sal.

“What the hell was that,huh? You can communicate with those THINGS- I almost forgot you’re the reason we’re here in the first place”

She glances back,the disinterested look in her face morphing into an annoyed scowl. “I already told you the higher you go the more that’s expected of you, not being able to at least ID yourself to the creatures is like asking for a painful death.wa

(David’s POV)

She glances back,the disinterested look in her face morphing into an annoyed scowl. “I already told you the higher you go the more that’s expected of you, not being able to at least ID yourself to the creatures is like asking for a painful death.”