Power | Teen Ink

Power

By IsaZen03, Wylie, Texas
IsaZen03, Wylie, Texas

As I was making this, I always questioned how I could write a story without giving anything away to the readers. So when I write, I always have a hard time staying in that mindset for a while.

There have been many stories of people with distorted powers. They are capable of such things as magic, sorcery that is harmful to regular humans. There was one person, a girl...who was born into this world without anything. She thought she was just an average human, but something changed to her until her second year of high school, something changed to her.

“Hiya Paris!” Erika, one of the few friends that Paris has. Ericka runs to Paris and hugs her, “How are you?” Paris hums quietly and looks at her best friend. “I could be better….” She shrugs and smiles softly. Ericka huffs and stomps her foot. “You always say that!” She gasped a bit. “So?...” Paris stared at her best friend and closed her locker, and walked off. Ericka desperately followed Paris to class. So what are you-” “PARIS!!” A loud voice boomed across the school hall, Paris’s eyes widen, and she stared at other students. She shrugged at Ericka and then saw someone running their way. “Ahhh!!” Ericka screams and runs out of the way. Paris moves out the form and lets one of her friends fall on the floor, hearing a loud grunt from him. 

“Hello to you too, Tora.” Paris giggled like a little girl and helped him up. Tora gets up and grunts at her, “why did you have to make me fall!?” Paris smiled kindly and walked back to Ericka, who glared at the dark-haired male. “What?” Tora stared at Ericka cluelessly and shrugged as nothing happened. “You scared me!” Ericka smiled a little. “So what? We got the amigos back together again?” Tora smirks as he wrapped his arms around Paris and Ericka. “5...4...3...2…” Paris counted down and saw another dark-haired male walking to them. “Ayyyy! Evra!” “ I've been looking for you, Paris! And hey guys! Glad to see you two here!” Evra smiles. Paris stood next to Ericka, watching the boys talk about sports and all the masculine things that boys would usually talk about. The girls rolled their eyes and walked to class without them. Summer has been crazy for the group cause of practice, work, and family issues. 

Paris sits next to her brother, along with her friends, catching up on the work for the semester she missed throughout the school year. Paris didn’t want to admit her reasons to be out a lot to her friends, but Evra -her brother- admitted to Paris having migraines and headaches all day during her days of working, her stomach would hurt, and she would be in so much pain, not even the doctors knew what caused it. Tora and Ericka looked at each other and then the siblings and questioned what it could be.

Damn...could it be cancer?” Tora questioned. Evra took his sister in his arms and held her protectively. “How DARE you say that to her?! It's not cancer!” Paris’s arms dangle from her being dragged, and she had a concerning look in her eyes as she stared at Ericka. “Anyways… are you doing anything after school, Paris?” Ericka asks. Paris shrugged as she didn’t speak. She stared at her while Tora and Evra argued. Soon after, the boys were done arguing when class started, and they talked from time to time when we had a bit of break in the class. A Lot of people find the small group of friends odd. To begin with, the small group would talk most about the supernatural; usually, the group would meet up at someone’s house and help each other with homework or problems in their owns lives; since Paris has been getting her migraine and body pain, she doesn't talk much anymore.

Once the bells rang, the school was retiring for the night. Paris had other plans than to hang out with her friends. The girl walked by herself with her earbuds, jamming to music. Thirty minutes later, Paris unwillingly walked into a forest. The girl looked around and saw it was already dark. She looked at her watch on her wrist and looked around nervously, “what in the hell?...only 4:15?...why is it so dark then?” Paris started to feel a cold breeze, feeling like winter weather when it was the beginning of September. She shivered and kept walking around the unknown forest alone, getting the feeling she was being watched. Paris decided to leave the forest. She was a few meters into the woods, not that far from where she lasted. Turning back around, the black-haired girl saw nothing but the forest in darkness. Paris begins to panic and ends up running around, trying to find her way out of this labyrinth of the woodland.

Her mind began to go into places they’ve never been, her heart pounding out of her chest. Was she having an asthma attack? No, she wasn’t even asthmatic at all. No one in her family was. Whispers and eerie ambient noises began to fill the dark woodland and the teen’s ears, violating her once peaceful mind. What stood there was a tall man, dark, muscular yet skinny; she’s never seen him before. “Welcome home, my dear, I’ve been waiting for you…” the man spoke out; his voice was low and dark. Paris swung a fist at him, losing her sanity. She was terrified. Fear, anger, loss were making her insane. She spun around, not seeing the shadowy man but still hearing his voice. “You’ve grown so much…how is your brother?...” Her eyes widened. “WHO ARE YOU?! LEAVE ME ALONE!” The teen looked around constantly, the same shadowy man stood before her again, but he held a glass vile. He grabs her jaw and opens the small bottle, pouring in a black liquid into her mouth, watching it drop onto the floor. Paris screams. 

“Scream all you like, dear… no one can hear you…” he backed up and had a smirk, watching her fall. No matter how loud Paris screams, no one could hear her, she began to cough up the black substance, and her skin grew paler; her eyes changed color from her normal brown eyes into multi-colors. “What's happening to me?! Help me!!” She panicked, trying to look for him again, but he vanished without a trace. Not long after, Paris grew weak and tired, her body paralyzed, and she passed out on the floor of the woods.

About what seemed to be about 2 hours, Paris was then woken up by the sound of ringing. She shot her eyes open and stared at the floor before grabbing her phone, seeing Ericka's name and picture. “Uh...h-hello?...” she answered tiredly. “HELLO?! WHERE ARE YOU?! YOU'VE BEEN GONE FOR 4 DAYS!!” Ericka’s voice boomed through the phone. Paris’s eyes widened, and she got up and started running; she noticed it being daylight. “Your parents and Evra are freaking worried!! So is Tora and I!” Shouted Ericka through the phone. Paris hangs up and continues to run back to school, her clothes dirty and ripped a bit from a while ago. She walked into school, and all eyes were on her; she sat down next to her friends and brother. “Hey guys…” Their eyes widened as they hugged Paris tightly, “ Jesus!! Where are you?!” “I don't know…” Paris yawned. Her friends kept asking her questions about where she was, but Paris’s voice yells with pure anger. 

“What in the living hell happened to you, Paris?!” Tora asked as he was worried for her. Paris’s eyes switched color to red, she stared at them with a wicked grin and shook her head and then the red eyes were gone and so was the grin, but soon after the same grin came back along with one red eye and the other purple. The gang stared at each other, and then Paris worriedly and heard how deep her voice was. “I was well, guys!! No need to worry..” she looked at them with creepy faces.

That was the day they officially lost their best friend.