The Game Master | Teen Ink

The Game Master

By RitaLea, Tooele, Utah
RitaLea, Tooele, Utah

This was a story I started a couple years ago, it was my first thriller/mystery I had ever written. Now I've been working on it and started to improve and I'm trying to get my name out using this story. I hope you enjoy it! 

I remember waking up that Monday morning getting ready for school, waking up my little sister Riley and walking her to school. It was her first day of Jr High so I promised to walk her to school to make her feel better. “Do you think Lizzie will be in any of my classes?” She asked, looking at her schedule. “Guess you’ll have to go inside to find out huh?” I said nudging her to the school doors. “Alright see you after school!” She said running to the doors waving at me. 

I laugh and check the time. 7:30 am it read. Shoot I’m gonna be late I thought as I ran to school. I sat in class and did school work, the day was going by pretty uneventfully, I would regret saying that later.

I heard my phone go off and I quickly silenced it and checked the text. “Want to go to a cafe after school? -Becca” I checked the time only like 10 minutes til school got out.

“Can’t. Have to walk Riley home.” I responded then my phone went off again. “Can I go home with Lizzie today? -Riley” Perfect timing “Go ahead :)” I responded

“Change of plans. What time do you want to meet up after school?” I texted Rebecca.“How about 20 min after? Got to stop by a class. -Becca”

“Cool see ya there.” I responded and turned off my phone. After class I grabbed my bag and headed to the cafe, it was about an hour walk from the cafe to my house so I checked the bus times.

“How many people?” The lady asked when I walked in the cafe. “Two, but one will be here soon.” I replied. She led me to a table and took my order of raspberry ice tea. I checked the time it was already 3 pm. I sigh I guess she’ll be running late.

While waiting for my drink I go to the bathroom. I look in the mirror and brush away my light brown hair out of my face and put it up in a ponytail. I walk out of the bathroom and see my drink at my table with a napkin. How nice of that lady to leave napkins in case I spilt my drink. I thought to myself and smiled. I decided that I might as well do homework while I wait so I pull out my laptop.

“Miss, is your friend coming soon or would you like the check?” The waitress asked. I glanced at the time it was 4:30 pm. I sighed “I’ll have the check please” I responded. I guess she forgot we were going to meet up. The lady gives me the check but accidentally spills the last of my drink. “I’m so sorry I’ll get you some napkins” She says “But you already-” I sigh as she walks away before I finish my sentence.

I picked up the napkin and started to wipe up the mess but saw a black smudge. “Huh?” I said lifting up the napkin and turning it over. “I’ll see you soon.” The back of the napkin said the letters were all smudged but at least that's what it looked like. Creeped out I left a $5 bill on the table and got out of there.

I walked over to the nearest bus stop when my head started to hurt and I got dizzy as I sat on the bench. “Ugh stupid migraines.” I mutter to myself. Soon the bus pulled up to my stop and I stood up. My vision went black and I couldn't stand “Miss are you okay?” I heard but I couldn't respond. My brain went fuzzy and I felt myself falling.

I could hear people talking in hushed voices that seemed to slowly grow louder. I slowly opened my eyes and looked around expecting to be on the sidewalk in front of the bus. Instead I was in a place I didn't recognize. I went to brush my hair out of my face to get a better look at where I was just to realize I couldn't. I looked down and saw my hands and feet were shackled to a chair. I look up to see 7 other people sitting around a table. They seemed to also be shackled to chairs. I jerk forward trying to get out but only managing to give myself red marks from my skin pressing against the metal.

“You’re not gonna be able to get out, we’ve been trying for hours.” A boy said. I turned to look at the boy who looked about my age but he had blonde hair and green eyes. I didn't respond but instead tried looking around the room, it's pretty dark but I could barely make out a person standing against the back wall next to a screen. I guess the boy noticed where I was looking because he said “Talking to them is useless, they won't respond.”

The screen lights up blinding us for a couple seconds. “Hello players!” I heard. The voice was distorted with many little voices as if they didn’t want us to know what they sounded like. “Welcome to my game, since this is my game we shall play by my rules. If you choose to disobey these rules you will suffer the punishment. The basis of my game is that all but one of you are on death row.” They paused letting the thought sink in. I try to make out what the person on screen looks like. They seem to be wearing a mask black with a sad face on one side and white with a happy face on the other, the rest of their outfit consisted of a black long sleeve coat along with black gloves and a hat hiding their hair. Though I guess seeing what they looked like wouldn't be much help till I get out of here.

“Here are a few of the rules. You may not harm each other outside of the games, If you do you’ll face a punishment. You may try to escape all you’d like but no one knows you are here and the only way to leave is if you survive my game. There are only eight players but better watch out because I am among you!” They say and then the screen goes black. We sit in silence until one girl says what we were all thinking “Why would they be among us? Are they insane?”

The person standing against the back wall held up a remote and pressed a button. The lights came on releasing us from darkness and the metal shackles. I rub my wrists and stand up and stretch. It was silent until the girl from earlier said “So um since we’re all here should we introduce ourselves?” No one says anything “I uh guess i’ll go first I’m Mina I’m nineteen. Last thing I remember before blacking out was getting drinks with my little brother.” She said.

“I’m Emilee, I'm sixteen. Last thing I remember was getting ready to get on the bus after getting drinks, but I have a little sister.” I say.

The blonde boy went next. “I’m Kaden, seventeen. I was at a video game cafe with my older brother.” He said.

“Um hi I'm Lizzie I’m fourteen, I was walking home from school and I have an older brother.” My eyes go wide. “Wait what? Riley told me you two were getting a ride home from school.” I say. “What do you mean? I didn’t even get to see Riley today.” She says. My stomach drops and I start to feel sick.

Slowly as we went around the circle I realized something we all had in common, siblings. Hopefully it was just a weird coincidence, but with what Lizzie said I don't think it is. “If we all have siblings, do you guys think this person might use them against us?” a guy, I think his name was Dylan, said. We all went silent hoping that wasn’t the case.

“Hey you over there. If the kidnapper loses one of the games will you let us go?” the girl named Olivia yelled to the person by the whiteboard. They didn't respond. Slowly I walk towards the person and put my hand up to wave at them. They lurched forward and grabbed my wrist and glared at me. “Can you speak?” I ask them. They glanced over my shoulder and let go, I think they slightly shook their head no. I looked over my shoulder but I couldn't  tell who they were looking at.

The projector flashed with the words “Go back to your seats” and started a timer counting down from ten. I made my way back to my seat. Once we all sit down the clasps click shut again and a video starts to play on the screen. “Your first minigame is called A Turn For The Worst, I want to make sure it starts off easy for my players.” They giggle. I get chills and start looking at the other people. They all seem to be looking at the screen except for one person, they were looking straight at me. I couldn’t tell who it was but I whipped my head back to the screen. Kaden is to my left still and Lizzie took her new seat to my right, so I dont think it was them who was looking at me.

“Everyone will draw a paper from the box my friend is holding. Each paper has a number on it, feel free to trade numbers and talk amongst yourselves.” The person on screen says. So they’re giving us a chance to change our fate, interesting. “A random number from one through eight will be generated on screen, whatever number it lands on we’ll have to wish farewell.” As they said that the clasps released and the lights came back on. I glance over to where the person was sitting but they're gone now. I get in line to get my paper. I stuck my hand in the box and pulled up a white little sheet of paper. The numbers look handwritten, maybe that could be a way to figure out who it is? The number four was on my paper.

“What number did you get?” Kaden asked. “four, you?” I responded. I go up to Olivia “what number did you get?” I asked. “Seven. Want to trade?” She asks. I hand her my paper and eventually go back and sit down. “Do you have any idea where Riley might be at?” I ask Lizzie quietly. She shakes her head and looks like she might cry. “It’ll be okay” I say, not fully convinced in my own words.

“Now if everyone is done let’s spin that wheel!” The voice said and the number on screen kept going faster and faster until it stopped on six. My throat tightens as I realize it almost landed on me. I guess Kaden was right about six being unlucky. I look over at Olivia, her already pale skin goes white. I watch the person who was standing against the back wall come towards Olivia, their face just looks guilty and sad as they pick up Olivia and brought her into a back room. I hear them fighting and screams and then just nothing. I look up and realize Kaden is covering my ears. I watch him flinch and then he removes his hands.

“It’s late now, to give you an idea of the time it is Monday night at 10 pm. Get some rest my players, you'll need it tomorrow.” The voice says. So I've been gone for about five hours, I wonder if anyone noticed I'm gone. The person brings in seven blankets and drops three off with me. I grab their arm and they look startled. “Can you tell me your name?” I ask. They hesitate and signs the letter J then quickly walks away. “What did you ask them?” Kaden says bringing Lizzie over to me. “I asked their name and they signed the letter J. I might try to ask for the next letter tomorrow.” I say laying out the blankets. Lizzie comes and lays down next to me and the room goes dark.

I don't remember falling asleep but I must’ve since I don't remember anything after that. I wake up to Kaden shaking me “Come on, everyone is waking up now I think the next game is starting soon.” He says. I rub my eyes and gently wake up Lizzie. I can't imagine how she feels right now. She doesn’t say anything but just quietly walks to the table and takes her seat. I sit on her left and Kaden sits to my right. I wait for the clasps to click shut once everyone sits down but they don't.

“Good afternoon my players. Hopefully you slept well, I was generous and let you sleep in today.” They say I yawn and lay my head on the table. “Today’s game will be the voting process. You must try to guess who I am; whoever has the most votes will be eliminated from any further games.” The screen turns off after they say it. I still can't shake that feeling of the person staring at me, but for now I can keep Kaden and Lizzie off my list. That leaves four other people; Mina, Dylan, Ryan, and Garrett.

“Hey Kaden do you remember who sat next to you before Olivia was taken out of the room?” I whisper. “I think it was Ryan but I’m not sure.” He responds. I don’t think it was Mina she was eager to get to meet people but she doesn’t seem like the person to try something like this. I shut my eyes and grab either Dylan or Garrett’s name. I quickly walk over to the person and give them my vote without looking at the paper. Considering Olivia’s punishment I don't want to know what this one is. I shut my eyes and rest my head on the table. I hear a small gasp and I look at the board.

Slowly I read the names. “Emilee one vote. Dylan zero votes. Garrett one vote. Kaden one vote. Lizzie zero votes. Mina one vote. Ryan three votes. Goodbye Ryan. If I have been eliminated the lights will turn green, if they go red I’m still among you.” The kidnapper said. I shut my eyes as I hear Ryan fighting and being taken out of the room. Peaking my eyes open I grab Lizzie and cover her ears. I hear some whispering and Kaden groan. I open my eyes and see the light is red right as a gun goes off.

“Since I am still among you, let us play another game! We shall play Russian Roulette but it has a twist. Each player will get a fresh gun once they go into the box, since there will be two bullets in the chamber you must pull the trigger two times. Besides that i’m sure you all know how the game goes.” They say. The person grabs my arm and drags me over to this small room. In the room there is a desk with a gun on it, there is also what appears to be a one way mirror. I couldn’t see them but I could only assume they could see me knowing how psychotic this person appears to be.

“Can you give me another letter or is your name just J?” I ask the person. They pause but sign an A and a Y. “Okay thank you Jay. If I don’t make it out of here, please have yourself or Kaden look after Lizzie please.” I say. They pause again but then nod and then lock the door leaving me trapped in here.

I opened the cylinder of the gun and there were definitely two bullets in there leaving me a one in third chance at making it out. I turn towards the mirror and give a small wave and a smile and then close my eyes and bring the gun up to my head. I pull the trigger, click. I pause and let out a shaky breath. “Okay now just gotta do that one more time.” The adrenaline rushes through my body and I pull the trigger again, at first nothing and then a small click. I carefully put the gun down and a grin escaped my lips and I let out a nervous laugh. I heard the lock click and then the door opened and I rushed out. I immediately sat down and tried to calm my nerves. Everyone rushed over to me as I sat there giggling like a maniac.

Dylan, now seemingly confident, goes into the box next. I glanced at the box and my suspicion was right; it was a one way mirror. I watch as he’s given a fresh gun and with a smile he quickly pulls the trigger two times in a row. Next was Garrett. He was very shaky and slower than I but eventually he left the box unscathed. Kaden goes in next and I just cover Lizzie’s eyes and put my head down. Soon he comes out and taps me on the shoulder “Look Em i’m fine relax.” He said.

Then it was Lizzie’s turn. She gave me a hug and slowly went into the box. I turned away and waited. It was silence at first and then the sound I had been dreading. I feel sick and my eyes tear up and the room starts to spin. Lizzie, the girl I had babysat every day after school for the last 3 years was gone. I felt myself start to pass out. “Hey, hey look at me,” Kaden said. “It’ll be okay.” He said hugging me. “How can you say that? My little sister's best friend just died!” I screamed at him. “I know but it’ll be okay, you’ll make it out, you have to, for Riley.” I let him hold me for a couple more minutes and then go to lay down. I can’t think all I could hear is the sound of the gunshot playing over and over in my head as I fall asleep.

I wake up to the sound of the projector turning on and I stumble to my seat, my eyes red and puffy. “Let’s play Who did it. Everyone will be given blind folds and once everyone puts them on one of you will be given a gun that will have a 50% chance of going off. Once the gun has been shot, the body will be taken away and you must guess who shot the gun. Whoever has most votes dies. It’s quite simple.”

The kidnapper appeared once more on screen but this time with a different mask on. It was fully white and it had a sinister smile with a small red flower in the middle of the forehead. Seeing the red my mind stopped and I looked around the room. Something catches my eye, something red. I see a small smile playing along Mina’s lips that disappears the minute she sees me looking. I can’t do anything but sit there dumbfounded glancing back and forth from her red hair and the flower on the mask as Jay ties my blindfold.

I sit in my chair pulling on the metal latches until I hear a very small click and I get loose. Then the gun goes off. I stayed in my chair to not raise suspicion but tapped my finger on them to get Kadens attention. Jay pulls off my blindfold and true to their word the body is gone. Kaden glanced at my hand as I showed him how I got out. I hear a small click and then the voting begins.

“I think it was Dylan.” Mina says. Hesitating Kaden agrees. I push my chair slightly back and get ready to run. I don’t know where I'll go or what I'll do yet but I mentally prepare myself. Mina slowly starts giggling and pulls out a gun and shoots Dylan. “You know, I was really looking forward to seeing how you love birds would turn against each other but I guess play time must end.” She says.

I duck under the table and run towards Dylan’s body. He did actually have the gun. I pick it up and aim it towards her. Mina just laughs “What are you planning on doing with a gun with no bullets?” She says slowly walking towards me. Kaden stands in front of me. “Why did you do this? Where are our siblings?” He asks.

“Why not? It’s been a fun experiment til Emilee here ruined it by figuring out who I was. For your siblings picked them up from where they were going to be when I chose my players, then I just dropped them off at their houses and gave them a teddy bear from Aunty Mina.”  She says smiling. “Besides it’s not like any of you suspected The Game Master to be a girl until it was too late.” She was right. In all honesty, I had suspected Garrett or Dylan to be the kidnapper. Out of the corner of my eye I see Jay pulling at the projector and I see a glimpse of light and a door.

“It’s too bad you’ll both have to die here, you two were so cute playing house with little Lizzie.” Mina says as she pulls the trigger. I hear the gun go off and pain shoots through my right arm. I see Jay run at Mina fighting with her to get the gun. “Run...I’ll keep her busy..” I hear Jay say in a strangled voice. “Thank you” I whisper as Kaden helps me run to the door.

We’re almost to the door, we're going to make it, I keep telling myself. I hear another gun shot go off and time seems to slow down. I turn behind me and see the bullet going through Kaden’s chest. “No!” I cry out “Keep going...for Lizzie” He says as he collapses and his eyes roll to the back of his head. My eyes go blurry and I keep running, tears burning my cheeks.

I ran through the door and up the stairs and soon sunlight blinded me. I hear voices and cars driving by, my head starts going fuzzy and my vision is going black. I’m losing too much blood. “Help me! Please I need help!” I scream out holding my arm “Oh my god! Someone call 911!” I hear a woman yell and then I pass out.

Slowly I open my eyes, light blinding me, I shut them again and my head starts spinning. I hear someone typing and a steady beeping noise. “Oh good, It looks like you’re awake, I’ll go get the nurses.” I hear someone say. Soon nurses rush in and start asking me questions of how I'm feeling and if I need anything. Once they leave, I try to sit up. I wince in pain and take a deep breath and look around the room. I’m in a hospital room and the person who appeared to be typing earlier sits in a chair.

“Who are you?” I ask. “I’m detective Decker, I’ve been assigned to your case.” She says. I sit there as memories flash of what happened and I start bawling. Detective Decker starts asking me questions and slowly I tell her everything that happened.

“Please tell me you guys found Kaden.” I say close to tears again. “No him along with everyone you’ve named is still missing. Who exactly is Mina, do you know her last name or what she looks like?” She responds. I started telling her what Mina looked like but I couldn't give her a last name.

“You’re not going to find them alive” I whisper. “Why do you say that?” She asks. “Didn’t you listen to me? I told you they’re all dead!” I screamed.

“We’ve sent people to the place the person who found you said you came from. There was nothing there but a table and some chairs.” Detective Decker says. “The patient’s family would like to see her now if you’re done detective.” A nurse says peeking his head into the room. The Detective nods, packs up her stuff and leaves. Then my parents rush in and I see Riley and start crying all over again while she holds my hand.

It’s been a couple years since that day. The screams and gunshots no longer torture me with nightmares and tomorrow I’m graduating highschool and will be going to college to study psychology and criminal justice. I don’t want anyone to go through what I did.

“Want to go to the park when we get home?” Riley asks, skipping next to me. “Sure but I got to check the mail first.” I say with a smile. We get home and I send Riley inside watching her from the window show mom her report card.

I roll my eyes and check the mail. There was an envelope inside with a red rose. The hair stands on the back of my neck as I slowly pull them out. The envelope was stamped with a small teddy bear and my stomach drops. I run into the house and go into Riley’s room. On her bed was the teddy bear she got years ago. Without thinking I grabbed my pocket knife and ripped into it. “What in god's name are you doing?” My mom yells at me, Riley standing next to her in shock. I kept going ripping into its head until I hit something. Slowly I pulled out a tiny little camera that was hidden in the bear's eye. My mom's jaw dropped and I threw it on the ground and stomped on it.

Letting out a shaky breath I sit on her bed and open the letter. There was no return address and it wasn’t marked in any other way besides the teddy bear stamp. I open it and begin to read out loud.

You may have escaped for now, but you’ll never truly be free. You’ll have to try to earn your freedom in my next game! -Love The Game Master

I freeze and throw the letter. “Come on, we're going to the police station we need to show them this.” My mom says grabbing her keys along with the crushed camera, the letter, and the rose. My mind went blank but my body followed and went to the car, Riley holding my hand the entire time. The only thing I could think of was something hidden on the back of the note.

I’ll be waiting, watching, I always have been.