Bad Romance | Teen Ink

Bad Romance

By SampsonAtHeart SILVER, Hershey, Pennsylvania
SampsonAtHeart SILVER, Hershey, Pennsylvania

"Never let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game."

Author's note: I remember my friend and I talking about how I needed to write a more dramtic and tramatizing story. I took his advice and wrote this. It's called Bad Romance because he's obsessed with Lady Gaga. LOL

It was a beautiful day. The sky was blue, with golden streaks stretching for miles. Melody was having a picnic with her family. Everyone was there, and most of all was James. James was Melody’s boyfriend of almost five months. Two more months and they would be heading for college.

Melody’s parents loved James but her Godmother did not. She told Melody one day, “Watch that boy Melody. He has an evil spirit within. He cannot be trusted.” Her Godmother was known to be a bit batty. She always talked of spirits and curses; but nothing ever happened.

James asked Melody to take a walk with him. She told her parents she would be back in a while. They nodded and began to talk with the family again. They always seemed more relaxed when the whole family was around.

They went into the woods laughing and kissing. Melody was having fun, until James started to go too far.
“James! Someone might see us.”
“No, they won’t.”

He started to unbutton her shirt. She started to freak out.
“Stop it!”
“What is your problem?”
“I’m not doing this!”
“No one rejects James Bishop!”
“I just did.”

James gave Melody a sneer. She was about to scream but he covered her mouth. She began to fight him, but he punched her; and she was out.

Melody woke up in a dim room. It was very cold, and bugs were all about. She rose up on her side and looked around. She became overwhelmed and got dizzy. She touched her face and found there was dried blood all about.

She got on her hands and knees to find something to lie on. She felt around and finally found a mattress. She lay back down and closed her eyes. This had to be a bad dream. This couldn’t be happening to her, of all people.
Two Hours Later…..
“Wake up sleeping beauty.”

Melody jerked up and scooted all the way to the wall. James was standing in front of her holding a knife. What could he possibly want?
“Why Melody, you look so scared. Am I frightening you?”
“What do you want?”
“Oh my, she speaks.”
“Where am I, James? Why am I here? What happened to you?”
“I’m not going to tell you where you are. You are here because your parents are filthy rich; and I have always been like this.”
“No you haven’t! I know the guy deep down who was super sweet. He would never do anything to me.”
“Well, we already know what I will do now.”

James took the knife and slashed open her leg. Melody shrieked with pain. Tears streamed down her face, as the blood flowed fast.
“Please! Stop!”
“I’m sorry, I’m afraid this is just the beginning.”

It had been two days since Melody had gone missing. No one had seen her, or James. Her parents have been freaking out. The police have begun to search the town, in hopes of finding her. They all know what she looks like, so far, no one had found her.
“Where is my daughter?”
“Ma’am…”
“Call me Jill.”
“Jill, we are trying to do all that we can. Try waiting. She will turn up eventually.”
“But how could you be so sure? You all need to get your lazy asses of our couch and go looking for her.”
“Now, Jill….”

That’s when Alexander, Melody’s father, walked in. He saw Jill screaming at the police officer.
“Jillian, you need to calm down. These nice mean are trying to help you out.”
“Why should I? Our daughter is missing and we have no idea where she could be!”
“They are trying there best dear. None of us know exactly where she is. All I can think of is that James has to be with her. Someone must have taken both of them.”
“How could you be so sure?”
“I’m not.”

Jill apologized to the police officers. They understood that she is just an overworked mother. They told her to get some sleep, and they would do the rest. She gave them all a cup of coffee, and they were off.

Melody was freaking out. She had finally stopped bleeding, and James had left her alone for a while. She had no idea what she was going to do. She knew one thing for sure; if her parents did not pay James, he was going to kill her.

At least an hour had gone by since James had been there, and she figured he wouldn’t come and bother her anymore for today. She had to find some food, or she was going to starve to death. But what could she eat?

A rat scurried across the floor. Melody thought quickly on her feet, and captured the rat. The rat squirmed in her hands and bit through her finger.
“Ouch!”

She dropped the rat and it ran to a hole. She followed where the rat had gone, and found that the hole was much larger. She moved the cabinet that was in front of the hole.
“Oh my gosh.”

A gust of wind blew into her. She shivered, but Melody knew that was her only way out. She scrambled through the hole, and into the cold night. Hopefully, she wasn’t too far from civilization.

She started to run as fast as she could. If James found that she had escaped, he would surely come after her. She ran into the woods. Melody stopped for a second. The woods? How far did James take her from civilization?

She finally found a lake farther through the woods. Melody dropped to her knees and scooped up some water. But then she heard footsteps; and she started to freak out.
“Melody? Where are you?”
“No…”

Melody jumped into the lake and swam across to the other side. She hopped out and hid behind a huge tree.
“Where are you wench?”

She stayed still; there was no way they were going to find her. She wasn’t about to let that creep find her.
“She was here at the lake.”

Another voice? Who could it possibly be? James was a loner pretty much, there was no way he had someone else working for him.
“Do you know where she went?”
“I think she swam across the lake. Her tracks stop here, so that is the only way to go.”
“Then swim across the lake and get her.”
“Why me?”
“Do you want me to kill you?”
“No.”
“Then go get her.”

The other guy hopped into the lake, and swam to the other side. Melody was going to be captured again! She had to do something. The only thing to do was to run, and she knew they would hear her.

Melody walked to a smaller tree and shimmied up it. The tree shook as she climbed, but it would have to do. She had climbed super high, when she saw the other guy. She couldn’t quite see his face, but she could see his profile. He was very tall, and filled out.

He looked around the area, but could not find her. He walked around the tree she was in, and she couldn’t breathe. She knew he was going to find her, but she didn’t want to give up.
“Be safe Melody. I will come back later and get you to safety.”

She looked down at him. He saw her! He knew she was up in the tree, yet he did not climb up to get her.
“Mark! Have you found her?”
“No! She has escaped.”
“Damn. Now, how am I going to get the money?”
“How should I know?”
“I should have killed you the second I met you.”

Mark swam across the lake and stood in front of James.
“Honestly, I don’t know why I am here.”
“Because you owe me.”
“How? You have never done anything for me.”
“True, but I knew you would come of use. And now you know everything.”
“What would happen if I left?”
“I would kill you on the spot.”

Melody couldn’t believe this guy was willing to kill himself for her. Was he stupid or something? No. He was trying to help her.

Hours passed by and Melody stayed in the tree. She was extremely tired, and had nowhere to go. Knowing James, he probably had the place booby-trapped. Why hadn’t she thought of that before she ran?

Her stomach began to growl with a ferociously that she was not used to. She was determined to find some food. She eased out of the tree and looked around the lake. All she could find were some cattails and lilies. She was not going to eat that.

She walked farther into the woods and found a small cave. Melody was curious, and walked on into the cave. There she found a small animal curled up into a ball. She worried that maybe it was a bear, but it stood up and she laughed. It was a little bloodhound, and quite young.
“Hey little guy.”

The dog ran up and jumped on Melody. She began to laugh. The dog was no larger than a baby deer. It was so cute.
“Do you have a name?”

Melody searched for a collar and could not find one. She decided to leave it at that. She began to rub the dog’s belly, and nodded off. She woke up to the dog barking.
“Laser! Shush!”

Melody jumped into the shadows. She didn’t know who that could possibly be. It turned out to be the guy that was with James. He had a light and a bunch of food in a basket. The light shined in her face and he laughed.
“I knew you wouldn’t be able to stay in that tree.”
“Who are you?”

Melody was nervous. This guy could be a psychopath for all she knew.
“I’m Mark Speed. I am twenty years old, and my friend is a total psycho.”
“Nice to meet you Mark.”
“So, why did James kidnap you?”
“He didn’t tell you?”
“No. He just said that he kidnapped a girl named Melody; and he would give me half the money if I helped.”
“Wow. I was his girlfriend. We were going to head off to college together in a couple of months.”
“I’m so sorry.”
“Don’t be. My Godmother has been trying to warn me for months that he was evil. I just didn’t want to listen.”
“Well, trust me. James is a jerk.”
“No kidding.”

Mark sat down on the floor of the cave. He gave Laser a bone and patted on the space beside him for Melody to sit.
“I brought some food for you. I figured you were hungry. You haven’t eaten in a few days.”

Melody knelt next to him.
“Thank you! I was so close to eating a rat earlier today.”

She blushed. Why did she just say that? He probably thought she was a nut case.
“They aren’t as tasty as they look.”
“How would you know?”

Mark sighed. Melody knew she had open a fresh wound. She began to take back her words when he began to talk.
“James had kidnapped me from my family. We were the best of friends, but then he went nuts. He stayed at my house, but I never went to his. His parents are the nicest of people.”
“What do you mean? I thought his parents had died when he was young.”
“No. They live right of the hill. They are nice, but they have issues.”
“I’d say. They have a son that has gone half mad.”
“James used to not be like this. He used to care about those around him and would never dare to hurt a person, especially a girl.”
“I know. He was so sweet when we started to date, then just recently…”
“It was all a trick.”
“I have a question.”
“Shoot.”
“If he kidnapped you, then how are you free?”
“He let me go, but said I would owe him my life. I guess he was right.”

Melody thought about that for a moment. Mark had said he was twenty, and he has known James all his life.
“Is James really eighteen, or is he twenty?”
“James is twenty-one.”
“What?”

How many times did this guy fail? Jeez, he must be stupider than she thought.
“He failed three times. I have always thought he was an idiot.”
“Yeah, that sounds about right.”

Melody grabbed some food out of the basket and began to eat. She was starving. As soon as she took her first bite, she threw it back up. She hadn’t eaten in days, and now her stomach hurt so bad; that it was hard to eat.
“I thought that might happen, so I brought you a protein shake.”
“Ew.”
“It’s food. It will help you to feel better, so that you may eat more later.”
“All right.”

Melody took a swig of the shake. It tasted like strawberries and bananas.
“I thought protein shakes were supposed to taste really bad.”
“Not the ones I make. I add the powder, then I add a bunch of fruits to the mix so it tastes better.”
“I like it.”
“Thanks. Let me fix you a place to sleep. You will have to stay here for a couple of days, until I can get us a ride out of here.”
“Really? You’re really going to help me.”
“Yes. I don’t want you in the same position as me.”

Mark set up a place for Melody to sleep. It wasn’t much, but it would have to do. Laser quickly climbed onto the little bed that Mark had made.
“Laser!”
“It’s okay. He will keep me warm.”
“Are you sure?”
“Yeah.”
“All right. I’m gonna head back to the house.”
“Okay. Thank you, Mark.”
“You’re welcome.”

Mark began to walk away, and then he turned back.
“Or should I say jail?”

Melody laughed. Would she ever get home? She crawled into the little bed, with Laser at her side.
“Good night Laser.”

Laser licked her face, and then rolled onto his back and went to sleep. Melody closed her eyes, and went out like a light.

She woke up the next morning with Laser breathing in her face. His breath smelled really bad. She wiggled around for a minute, which woke him up. He began to bark at her and she shushed him.
“You can’t bark, boy. He will find us.”

Laser whimpered. Melody wondered if dogs were able to understand what people said. It would be pretty cool if they could.

Melody didn’t move around that day. She stayed in bed so that she could not be found. Mark had brought her some food around ten o’clock, but he couldn’t stay. He tried to get Laser to come back with him, but the dog stayed put. Melody thought that is was cute how Laser wanted to protect her.

Later in the day, Melody had to do something. She needed to get out of there or find something to do. She thought of swimming in the lake, but that could attract attention to her. She didn’t know her way around the area or she would have been gone by now.

Laser went out of the cave to do some, private business, when she heard someone yell. She knew the voice as soon as it boomed through the forest.
“Where is that stupid dog?”

Melody held her breath. He was there, lurking around the cave somewhere. She wanted to scream, but knew that would be unwise. She got to her hands and knees and crawled further within the cave. What was she going to do? Laser began to whimper and Melody tried to shush him.
“Come here you stupid mutt!”

Laser perked up his ears and began to bark.
“No, Laser,” she whispered in the dog’s ear.

The dog sat there for a second. His eyes were glistening, as if he was crying. Melody looked at the dog for a second, and then Laser took off out of the cave.
“No!”

Laser charged at James, and tore into his leg. James screamed with pain and pulled a gun from his coat pocket. Melody jumped at the sound of three shots. She could hear Laser whimper, then completely fall silent.

Melody tried to hold in her tears, but they all fell down her cheeks. She prayed that James would not find her. She hoped that his leg was too bad, and he would have to go back to that terrible place.
“Oh, Melody…where are you?”

Melody froze in terror, the monster had found her. How did he know that she was hiding there? Mark would not have turned his back on her. She knew that he wouldn’t do that.
“Melody! Show yourself, to me!”

Melody stood up and walked closer to the front of the cave. She peeked around the corner of the cave, and could see James. His leg was bleeding, and a chunk of skin was hanging off. She snickered at the thought that it was a dog that had done that to him. She wanted to cry at the mention of Laser, but decided to be strong.

She walked out to face James. He still had the gun in his hand, and he could shoot her at any moment. He had lain down on the floor of the cave to rest. Melody looked down upon him, and stared straight at him.
“Help me get back to the house.”
“Why should I?”

James laughed, and held the gun to her.
“I have this, of course.”

Melody kicked him in the leg, and he dropped the gun. Melody quickly picked it up and pointed the gun at him.
“You seriously, do not want to mess with me. You have pissed me off for the last time, James.”
“I’m sorry. Please don’t hurt me!”
“Oh, I’m not. How did you find where I was?”
“That idiot, Mark, let it slip that the dog was still at the cave. I pinned him to the wall and made him tell me why the dog was still out here. He refused me for a while, but when I jabbed the knife into his spleen, he began to blubber like a baby.”
“You killed him? How could you do such a thing?”
“Oh, don’t worry doll. He is still alive, but if you want to save him, you had better go now.”

Melody just looked at him. She couldn’t believe how cruel and heartless James had been.
“You know, I thought you were a nice guy. I’m surprised that you turned out to be such a douche bag.”

James laughed as Melody spoke. She glared at him with hatred in her eyes. She aimed the gun straight at his heart. She began to pull the trigger then stopped.
“Ha! I knew you couldn’t kill me.”
“I wouldn’t say that.”

Melody pulled the gun right back into place, and pulled the trigger. Three shots and he was dead. She dropped the gun and backed up against the wall. Had she really just done that? She’d killed her kidnapper. What was she to do now?

She ran back to the house where Mark was supposed to be. She walked into the kitchen to find him sprawled out on the floor. He was still breathing to her surprise.
“Mark? Are you all right?”

He turned his head to face her. Blood was everywhere, and it was still gushing between his hands. His lips were beginning to become pale.
“I...I…I tried.”

His eyes rolled into the back of his head, and he was gone. Melody felt tears welling up in her, but pushed them down. She looked around and finally found a phone. She dialed 911, and waited for them to come.

Months later, Melody still couldn’t get over the kidnapping. Her therapist said it was going to take a while for her to recuperate. Her parents decided not to let her head off to college just yet, they wanted her to relax, and wanted her to become normal again, as if that were possible.

She stayed in her room most days, looking out the window, trying to find a way out. She didn’t think she could take it much longer. All she could think about were James’ eyes as she shot him in the heart. She saw the worry, deception, and for the first time in his life, pure fright. She couldn’t believe that she had been the one to kill him.

She could only think that it was all a terrible nightmare, but sadly, it was the real world. She couldn’t help but think that maybe Mark and Laser were in a better place. She looked back out the window, and she could see their shadows, dancing across the guys.
“Be safe, my dear friends.”

Very suspensful. I want to know what happens. Where is she? What is he going to do?

musiccrazy SILVER, Colorado Springs, Colorado

"Live a life worth living, because God gave you this amazing gift worth giving!" by me (Harley)

Awesome book! Keep writing. It could use a little more saspensfulness and you could spice up the wording a bit but other then that I loved it!