The eyes of Kiru | Teen Ink

The eyes of Kiru

By Imperfectlife SILVER, Rochester, New York
Imperfectlife SILVER, Rochester, New York

Author's note: Kiru is a name I invented myself, because I wanted a unusual name for the protagonist, so I decided to make up one. I wanted to write about a girl genius who was kick-ass and sarcastic but is nice and deep thinker.

This is the beginning, you may find it a little boring but the second and third chapter is when the excitement begins.

Ugh, what a day I had. The “oh, so nice” –as the teacher says, popular crowd once strikes again. They’re the top champ. They’re the royalty. Woo hoo. Yeah right, hell like that gonna ever happen. Well, my name is Kirula Inenetia, the victim of the blessed-to-have-demon-inside-of-them, the popular crowd. I was just being sarcastic for their, a pain-in-the-butts’ sake. To me, the popular crowd is dirt. Filthy, worthless, piece of an aged stinky fish to me. On other hand, there are good people around us. Like for an example, my freaking awesome teacher of all, Mrs. Lovela. Cue the applause for her. Cheer, cheer! Well anyway, like I was saying, the idiot pop crowd was pestering me again. God, they try to insult me and yell at me continually. Immature, right? They never even damage my feelings a slightest because I have tough skin myself. They see me as a challenge and try to woo me. Kidding, for real they are just a pain in the neck. I always ignore them like this: Walk. The popular crowd pops, (no pun intended) and insult me. Roll my eyes and say “Immature, don’t you guys have better stuffs to do?” Then walk away. The method usually work on they to get them leave me alone. It always happens once each day. Groan.
“Umm, Kiru, you okay?” Huh? Oh, my best friend Meloney was next to me standing at her locker next to mine. Her face was creased with anxiety. Sigh, Meloney is really a great friend. “Yeah, I’m fine, just a little annoying flies irritating me. AGAIN.” as I scramble for my textbooks in my locker, rolling eyes. She looked alarmed and said, “The unmentionables? Again?” I nodded. I slammed my locker, while Meloney continues talking; “Don’t they honestly get tired of you? I mean you are easy to get tire of—.” I whipped to glare at her. She grins. I gave her a karate punch (After all I am black belt.) on her arm hard. “Hey at least be nice. I am a person who knows karate, after all.” Meloney cracked up. I gave in and laughed along with her.
A dong echoed out the hallway. Meloney and I were holding to her locker for support from laughing so hard. I turned to look at the clock while panting, “Melo, I gotta go for my classes. Good luck in your play rehearsal!” I said. Meloney was one of the lead parts in the play; she had good singing voice, remarkable acting skills and talented dancing legs to boot. She was Oliver in Oliver! By Charles Dickens. Apparently, it’s about a thriving boy. Besides that, many people were happy for her to get such grand part at her first debut as an actress. Who knew she had it in her? Meloney smiled and said “Good luck, too.” As she went to her class. I picked up my backpack and snorted, “What for?” even though I knew what she meant. Still I don’t know honestly if I can deal with “Good luck” people as otherwise the pop crowd. See? I even ran out nicknames for the pop crowd. I groan exasperated and went to my class. The classes are boring. Why? Because for the truth, I, am college-level intelligent. No one knows it, except my family. My household and extended, agreed to keep it secret. If we didn’t, the government would whip me away and use me for testing and war strategies. No thanks to becoming a lab doll. My family loves me too much to be taken by the so-called helpful government. Mom and Dad wanted me to lead a normal life while all the real schooling is at home and online. The school is my social provider, as my parents term it. Beside the clubs and fun classes, I describe it as my torture playground. It’s where I can torture people and get tortured in return. Basically this place isn’t something I’ll go unless Meloney was here. So I’m here for my best friend. That way, I’ll get to spend time with her. Well… Whoopee, my favorite place. The burning hell designed for me. I walked and turned right, just to enter into my class peacefully without any interruptions, (If you know what I mean by that). As I entered into my classroom, my ninth grade teacher, (I am in ninth grade and my age, fourteen years old) was scolding couple girls for bringing food in his classroom. I like my math teacher. He’s awesome! “All right class, listen up.” My teacher stood in front of his desk in this pastel gray room, (perfect for this dull math, humph) with his voice echoing to the students. The students quieted down watching him for directions. With his bare dark brown skin displaying a tattoo of math inked deeply into his dark brown skin, it was easy to understand how huge the length of his love of math. He started speaking, “Students, get your math homework out, and pass it forward gently.” He stared at the troublemakers with his eyebrows both raised up. I knew what he was thinking about. The troublemakers were what he was referring to, but it doesn’t matter because they never finished even the halfway homework. They think it’s a waste of time. Personally, I could understand them, (No offense, teachers) but that doesn’t applies to me because obviously I’m college smart, my opinion doesn’t count for it. “Miss Inenetia, please come up here.” I looked up suddenly snapped from my trance of fantasy. I put down my stuff on my desk and went to him. The drill for me every morning. Mr. Geo pulled his head from his desk and said “Miss Inenetia, you’re doing as expected, well after correcting the homework I gave you.” He smiled “However, just a few mistakes.” Mr. Geo pointed at the paper with circles. “Considering for a college genius level.” Now let me say this to you folks, how did he know it? Did he threaten me to find out about it? Did he accidentally find out about it by coincidence? Did he get it out of me by tickling me constantly? Nope. My math teacher is only one trusted to know the truth of what-oh-am-and-who-am-I identity, to get my appropriate schooling for me. Did you take a double take? Heh. Of course you wouldn’t know that he’s my uncle. Yup. Most of my time, I have to do home schooling. “A few mistakes, Mr. Geo?” “Yes, just couple little ones. Did you babysit again and had to stay up late to finish homework?” Bull eyes. As usual, what a thing to expect from my dad’s brother. The fact that he basically knew everything about me, ever since I grew up with him babysitting me was disgusting at my age. I was born a Puerto Rican family half and half white family. I wanted a nice soft tan and wavy dark brown hair like my mom unfortunately, in that department of genes hasn’t gone the way I wanted. Instead of cool tan and brown hair, I got palest skin that people thought I was a vampire, that is nonburnable for some reasons or whatever so (I’m glad cause I could go to the beach and not get burnt to a crisp, I wonder that my Puerto Rican part?) along with long, long, straight shiny black, with splits and bangs longer the eyebrows. Addition to piercing green eyes. A nice figures though, so it wasn’t a complete loss. I returned to math from my train of thoughts and groaned. In front of Mr. Geo, ready to be sarcastic,
“Hello? I’m a human being, no need to be flinging me sarcastic remarks, Mr. Geo.” While smirking, he looked at me amused
“Miss Inenetia, I suggest you keep it down.”
I glared at him and put my hand on his desk and whispered coldly “Fine, I’ll keep it down and if you want me to do all the math questions correctly, I’d advise you come and babysit your own brother’s off springs.”
“Kiru, please be serious for once, you know that you have to keep your intelligence in secret.”
“What, like I’ll spill it and sell my life to a plaguing, repeating, failed government? Yeah right and you were just being sarcastic a minute ago!”
“I realized that and apologize for that unnecessary remark, but you need to not slack off your homework.” He paused and puts on his glasses “Do your best, okay? Miss Sarcastic.” He smiled that screams what-a-cute-niece smile and attitude. “Get back to your work.” He said, giving me the lesson plan and worksheets for today. I swore in my head and sulked to my desk. Humph, I can’t wait till after school.

The final bell rung and I immediately disappeared out of the existence out the classroom whilst thinking; ugh I’m bored to death! On the way to my haven of my precious locker filled of goodies and treasure prepared to have me the queen to chomp them down. Yeah heck like that’s gonna happen to me. At least I got yummy Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup candy stashed somewhere in there. Meloney was nowhere nearby her locker. Hmm, stran-gey. I wonder she’s okay? It’s not like of her to go anywhere without me considering she has same ride as I do. Meloney’s mother picks us up since my parents have so much free time on their hands are too bother to pick their eldest daughter. I proceeded to attempt asking other people in the hallway, for any slightest information concerning Meloney. No single person knew. Hmm. I went to Meloney’s teacher for any trace of Meloney’s existence. They said she was here for all her required classes. Hmmm. Huh. When I was debating what to do, one of the pop girls came out of the corner and went straight to me. Huh? Why there would be a pop girl be socializing with me? I shook at the disgusting thought of it. In the crusty, green, hideous and desperately need repairs hallway was the pop girl walking haughty to me. Not ladylike. Grrr, I don’t have the time to deal with this, I got other bigger worries. “Oh you there, girl.” You? There? Girl? Rude much? “What.” I said staring at her with cool eyes. She shivered a little and walked all the way to me, with her high heels tapping on the hard stone floor echoing since nobody’s here. High heels. Oh. It was the only girl allowed to wear high heels in school ‘cause of some “Connection” otherwise Broody. The rumored so-vicious Broody who practically can kill a bear. Not me. I am one of the people that are difficult to react easily in my school, So. She. Is . In. Other. Words. A. Loser.
Broody beamed at me falsely, “Oh Kiru, how are you?” I winced. “Broody, the fake acting is a complete pathetic and I am busy.” I picked up my backpack and closed my locker door, turned and took a step. “Kiru, wait! Please listen to this or else.” She said with a goose bump feel-ey tone. I stopped. This sounds interesting and… dangerous. I asked “Or else?”
“Or else Meloney gets it.”
Broody staring at me, threatening with her pale coppery eyes. I open my mouth with increasingly panicking reaction. As soon my reaction was showing, I prevented it from happening in order to not blow off my cool cover. This had to be a bluff. “Are you serious?” Broody nodded. I gritted my teeth to say this, “Where is Meloney?” I moved closer and taller to make her cower under me. Broody glanced away from my direction, head twisted slightly. I knew she was going to be not a good sport in giving information to me. I ran through all the possible places that Meloney would be, in my head processing the data. Broody was still avoiding my fixed stare, trying to not collapse in my direction. I transfixed on her with my hand on my chin thinking. Then I had a hunch where she would be. Could it be? To prove my hunch, I decided to inquire Broody. “Broody?” she whirled to glance at me. “Broody, the theater… Meloney is there isn’t she?” I speedily walk to the door of the theater, Broody looked alarmed and literally (even with the high heels) ran to the door, held her ground and put her arms up to protect the door connecting to my destination to their hostage. She said “If you want her back safely, then come when we call you at your house.” With a determined stare at me. A defense. Hmm… “If you want her safe the take this challenge when we call you. If you don’t, we’ll make sure she’s harmed.” She said bluntly. Meloney harmed? They would go that low to just get me come? Oh, no, that will not happen to her. “Deal. I take the challenge and make you rue this day that you took Meloney.”

At home I sat around patiently, having completed my homework and called Meloney’s mother to tell her that Meloney had an emergency rehearsal at school till midnight, and of course Meloney is sleeping over my house since its close by. A good lie enough to hold the mother worries of. I sighed and just turned to look at my little sister. My cute little sister, Cherry’s her name with her chocolatey brown curly pigtails, is sitting on the table with her yellow dress and similar yellow shoes to fulfill her outfit. Just recently back from kindergarten, she was playing with variety of play dough, humming sweetly. Aw. Even I can’t be sarcastic around her. Epee, she is extremely cute! Well to my next sibling, my twin brother Farid. I looked at him. He was trying to fix his violin strings, with his black medium length hair covering his eyes. He has strong athletic body but it is not like a jock. More like a thin guy with nice figure. Not all muscle. I can’t tell him about Meloney’s recent kidnapping. I felt a pain throbbing in my chest when I thought about it. It was guilt. I mean… he’s my brother. My twin. The one who understood everything I went through and knew anything related to me. Like me, it was naturally for him to a genius in college based level. Only it was in music and all academics. I was genius in all academics and couple talents like visual art. Besides that, we’re so close ever since we were born. We were born at the same time. I slept with him when I had nightmares when I was little. I never kept a single secret from him no matter what. He’s always known what’s going on with me. He has not kept a secret from me either… I think. “Kiru? You there?” Eh? I diverted my gaze on the bread toaster (don’t ask me why I’m looking at it, I just have bad habits of looking at something boring or strange) to Farid my twin brother. He was gazing me stoically. Stoic is his expression that he always, has but seems to never happen to use it ‘round me. I always wondered why he never showed emotions to anybody but me. His expression changed and altered into a worried face. “Kiru, what’s up with you?” he asked me. I just glanced at him, to have an appearance of him stubbornly expecting for an answer. I swear, he should be a lawyer someday. “Kiru, c’mon tell me.” He said slowly and softly. It was clear that he will not let me off the subject. I slowly tried to not make any unnecessary action to pursue him to set of inquires. I stared at the brown, smooth, stone counter. While sitting in a brown stool, (yes my parents are obsessed with the color brown) next to Farid, I finally begin to reassure him, “Farid, nothing is wrong.” Farid stared at me suspiciously. “Farid, are you going to stare me till to death?” hoping, he didn’t notice my sarcastic around him. You see, like I told you before, Farid can know anything about me is because he see through me. So being sarcastic was a dead way to the secrets that was hovering in my hearts (dumb, I know but that was only thing I could do under pressure!) I turned to see his response, he looked… mad. Uh oh. Crap it. He saw me. “Kiru, you usually have big worries when you are making sarcastic comments in front of me. You know that was bad way to “lighten tension ‘round us” comment around me. I felt my cheeks burned with shame. “Okay, you caught me and yes, I do have worries but, they’re nothing for me. I’ll fine.” I said to him bluntly even my convictions of “me” will be okay isn’t even strong. I mean there’s only six or five pop crowd that I can stand against with my trained fighter’s hand, right? Farid suddenly said “Fine, Kiru, I won’t bother you, but it better not hurt you!” he stared at me with strong, deep and worried voice. My heart smiled with blushing cheeks. He was such a good brother! I stood up from my stool and hugged him tightly from his back with my arms on his shoulders. Farid, while drinking water, just spew it out all over the counter. “Farid!” I exclaimed, stepping back unstable, nearly lost my footing. I put my heel at the back of the tiles and without delay, put a stop to my fall. Farid was coughing, his back bent over. “Farid? You okay?” I said. He put his hand up and said, “I’m fine, i-it just went wrong way.” His voice hoarse. At that moment Cherry came into the room and stared at everything, eyes widening bigger. Her sweet voice came out, “Big sister and Big brother, what did happen?” with an expression of ? on her face. I sighed and swooped to pick her up, smothering her with sisterly love. “You are too cute!” I giggled. She still looked confused and then hugged me back. How it is possible for her to get this so cute? On the other hand, Farid coughed “ahem.” We whirled to look at him, with same reaction (blood runs in us, you know) “hmm?” He mumbled that he’ll go upstairs and change his clothes. Now I’m perplexed. What the heck is going on with him? Then I noticed Cherry yawning. I smiled, “Cherry, you’re tired? I think it’s quite just about time for your nap.” Cherry look up to me and said “Yes, big sister.” She mumbled sleepily. I held her by my arm and went up to take her to her bedroom. I put her down on her bed and took off the dress into her pajamas. She let me change her all the time no matter what whenever. Then I put her blanket over her. Cherry just went to sleep like that. Smiling was all I could do. It was cute seeing her like this, sleeping peacefully. I felt a sudden movement behind me. What could it be? An intruder! I whirled to behind and did a karate hit on the intruder. He dodged my hit easily and grabbed. Farid. It was Farid. I felt somewhat relieved and angry. He raised an eyebrow. “Good defense, but you were a little weak in your knees, Kiru.” He said with a teasing voice in my name. His smile lifted into a smirk, “Even so, I expected higher from you.” My mind decided to tell me to beat him to a pulp. My body agreed in response. My girl’s pride unanimously straight on approved of the decision. So I went ahead and tried to get revenge on by trying to set a series of punches on him. Unfortunately, he dodged everything. Darn my twin. I attempted to land another punch on him, I nearly fell out of Cherry’s door located near the stairs. I begin to scream, but Farid saved me in time by grabbing my waist. “You idiot, be careful.” I took my foot into the safe zone, “Thanks,” and grinned. He blushed brightly, “Um, err; I’m going to practice my music sheet.” He ran out the door grabbing his violin along with him. Practice music sheet? That’s a first I have heard. Why? He’s a genius at music. He doesn’t need to practice. Sorry ya for sounding like a brat, but I’m saying and definitely telling truth that he really didn’t need to master the violin. My only one bro, has mastered all the techniques required for the violin. Technically, perhaps it’s better to say that he has almost mastered every music instruments known except for the violin. He’s learning that right now. I assumed that he has homework for the violin. Right now I got more things to worry about and deal with. Oh…, I turned to look at the setting sun. I hope Meloney is okay. I knew I had to rescue her before she gets hurt.

WOWriting SILVER, Broadstairs, Other
It's really great! But maybe there's too much info that you don't need? It's still quite good tho. 

Barnowl14 BRONZE, Seattle, Washington

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook"- Julia Child

I like it, but I'm finding it's a little bit hard to read because of the huge paragraphs. Other then tat, it's good!

Thank you so much for reading my story!

Amieblossom said...
Amieblossom, Garden Grove, California

"If I had to chase your soul to the ends of eternity, I won't stop until I find you, I promise."-Ash, from The Iron Knight

Haha. I love it. Her sarcasm and thought make me laugh. I love the originality of her name also. Keep going, you're doing great.

you can give critques, I need them to make my story better.

Hi! I'm the writer here, Yolie S. and I hope you like this story here. Do please read it and ask me if you want more updates for this story.