Bush: Questionable | Teen Ink

Bush: Questionable MAG

In his State of the Union address in 2002, George W. Bush said, "When America works, America prospers, so my economic security plan can be summed up in one word: jobs." Yet, since President Bush took office, the unemployment of middle class families has increased by 65 percent.

Since November 2000, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 73,000 jobs have been lost each and every month. This president is the first in 60 years to see so many Americans lose jobs on a monthly basis. The result of the recession is that working families are facing many hurdles with falling incomes and vital expenses like health care and education rising.

Since 2000, three million private-sector jobs have been lost. People can't provide for their families, and it's happening because Bush is focusing on the wrong things.

In his 2004 State of the Union address, Bush talked about steroid use in baseball and football. The president shouldn't be talking about sports, he should focus on homeland security. He should focus on North Korea, a more massive threat to America than Saddam Hussein and his regime; North Korea actually said they would use their weapons of mass destruction if the U.S attacked first.

President Bush has crippled our country in many ways, and has lied to the American people to get what he wants. His administration came up with the theory that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction. But, weapons inspectors conducted over 900 searches in over 500 sites and none were found. Not only that, Congress has already been asked for $187 billion to invade and rebuild Iraq. That cost will no doubt increase because we have to finish what we started and keep order in Iraq.

I believe Bush has lied about many things, especially some of the proposals he made during the 2000 campaign. He promised lower healthcare costs, better education, homeland security and national security. Nothing has come of those promises. He proposed all these wonderful ideas only to secure the presidency.

Yes, people say George W. Bush is a good president because he caught the so-called "threat," Saddam Hussein. But in Iraq almost 800 of our soldiers have already died. They're fighting for no reason. Now, is that a president who knows what he's doing?

I believe George W. Bush is a liar and a bad president who should not serve another term. There are millions of things we can do to prevent this from happening. This first is to register and vote Bush out if we're eighteen.