School Uniforms | Teen Ink

School Uniforms MAG

It's the first day of school and you have to find the perfect outfit to make a good impression. Lucky for me, I don't have this problem: my private school requires I wear a uniform. Some may think this is not a good idea, but I think it is very positive.

In school, one of the most important things is your style. The more you have, the more popular and noticed you will probably be. With uniforms, there's no discrimination because of what you're wearing. Everyone is united under the same style.

Clothing often reflects who you are and who you socialize with. In most schools, there are groups of students who dress alike. All the jocks dress differently from the preps who have a different style from the punks. You may even avoid a particular person because of what they are wearing. Uniforms require students to get to know each other by finding out about who they really are.

There are many styles of clothing, some appropriate for school and others not. Peers and the media pressure us to dress and look a certain way. Some clothing contains logos promoting drugs, alcohol or even violence. Midriff shirts, halters and mini skirts are advertised everywhere. Since students want to fit in and be cool, they want to wear this type of clothing. In most school systems, however, it is not allowed. Uniforms help eliminate these problems. All students look similar. They all fit in. There are no distractions. Uniforms allow students to concentrate on learning instead of what they are wearing.

Money also plays a big part in the clothing we wear. Not all styles are affordable. Students are ridiculed because they can't afford "in" clothing. Some may even feel pressured to steal to get the right clothing. Although uniforms are initially expensive, they can be worn for years, making them cost effective and less expensive than regular clothes.

When my school allows us a dress-down day, we can wear regular clothes. We show off our styles and wear our favorite shirts with jeans. Surprisingly, on dress-down days, we remain similar. We know each other well enough to be ourselves. Even without uniforms, we dress alike!

I believe uniforms help unite us in a common goal: to do well in school. It is a symbol of our unity. They demonstrate to everyone that we are more than just our clothes: we are all individuals.

Deej6595 BRONZE, Billerica, Massachusetts

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

Do you agree?

Crispyrick42069, Idaho Falls, Idaho

yo be the ngga you want

@Deej6595 HEY

Crispyrick42069, Idaho Falls, Idaho

yo be the ngga you want

You can now tag other users by using "@".

Crispyrick42069, Idaho Falls, Idaho

yo be the ngga you want

@Evannico YOU SUCK MY d

cool said...
This really helped me

Evannico said...
Evannico, Florida, Florida

Keep calm and drink star bucks

Your tolatly right kids will always find something to make fun of

You are tolatly right kids will always find something to bully you about keep being smart

elda mbemba said...
that right back in african i use to wear unforms to but coming to american kids dont really put on unforms,thats why theres so much going on at school beweent students .........

I believe that school uniforms are bad because when j used to go to school usually after school I would see older kids picking on younger kids because of there uniform so I would have to keep helping kids that I see getting bullied.also i believe this because kids should express them self and wear what they like.

alioops SILVER said...
alioops SILVER, North Hollywood, California

"What moves men of genius, or rather, what inspires their work, is not new ideas, but their obsession with the idea that what has already been said is still not enough."
- Eugene Delacroix

I wear a school uniform and I don't really mind it. I agree with the idea of uniforms. It allows everyone to be equal and whatnot, but I find that in reality that's not the case. Bullying is going to happen in school. Uniforms do not eliminate or decrease the amount of bullying in any way. Bullies will find something to say about you that will probably be even more hurtful than making fun of the clothes that you're wearing. Also, when everyone is wearing the same outfit, it becomes about who looks good in that outfit. That said, it doesn't allow individuality, but I'm not going to go into that because that's not what this is about. I fully agree with school uniforms, but as a student who experiences the dress code policy life everyday, I have to say that they don't work.

Nictophylia said...
on Jun. 28 2014 at 11:13 am
Until college, I wore uniforms all my life in school.  They can be irritating at times, but I agree that they are a good idea.  With uniforms, there is less chance someone will get bullied for her clothing/style.  I also don't think most uniforms are ugly-- mine were kind of cute.

boothang said...
i think your right all the way  caus ei hate uniforms we should be able to bring out our feelings in clouthing instead of fighting but i also think that we should have unoiforms beacause of the way that peole are and the way they make fun of people its not cool at all it is hurendes i  hate it it gets me angry i cant even spelll right.........word

Mary&Oscar32 said...
I love your opinion and I agree with you too. Hopefully there's someday uniforms in our school too. I'm done with people talking bad about what some of us wear.

I agree but then again i dont because at school everyone shouldnt have to be wearing the same thing on purpose just on a coincedince my school wears uniforms and i hate it because how are people supposed to express their personality if they wear boring clothes

just sayin' but if there aren't uniforms people get distracted by each others' clothes and we start failing so the author proves a point here.Just sayin'

wow this is really good first i thought that uniforms were a bad idea but now im havin second thoughts :)

jose187 said...
love your writting i totaly agree with you

honeyxame said...
I agree. c:

yeah .. i agree with you .. its true from all sides this essay also can be in every thing not just schools 

This is a fresh new perspective from someone who actually benefits from wearing school uniforms. I like the idea of uniforms because no is discriminated for what they have or don't have. As long as you have a day to be creative it's fine. I guess it depends on the type of people at your school too. It sounds like they are more accepting anyway. When I went to a private school people still made fun of what you chose to wear on those free days but maybe you have it better.